Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » WH2020: Intriguing new poll question from Fox New – how do you

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252

Fuck me, first Shapps, then Sun reptiles stalking rescue workers, and now Chuck and his entourage. Stoney's cup runneth over (with what is yet to be ascertained).

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1294220343419326470?s=20

SNP intolerance is breathtaking
    Yeah, it's shocking how intolerant we are of Sun hacks chasing rescue workers for statements and doorstepping the family of the dead driver. Not too happy about someone who broke lockdown while suffering from Covid dragging his sorry arse about the place either.

Still, you managed to turn on a sixpence and give your support to BJ, so you'd just about tolerate anything.
    No.

I just find the intolerance from the SNP very sad and reflect on my late father in law, who was a highly successful Scots sceine net skipper rejecting all to do with nationalism 50 years ago
    Political activist on social media tend to be a loud and unpleasant bunch but it is a special kind of unpleasant that many Cybernats seem to subscribe to.
    My Scots wife has become thoroughly ashamed of them and their anti English bile and not one of the Cybernats on here speak for her
    I'm sure we're all deeply disappointed to hear this revelation as hitherto we thought we had definitely spoken for your wife. We'll leave that to you in the future.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,573

Again on education the whinging of the commentariat really is astonishing.

They backed the shutting down of schools. Argued against any even partial re-openings. Back Unions and teachers in their quest not to resume teaching or to resume it on their own terms. Gave zero criticism to state school teachers who left their pupils to rot whilst the private sector kept educating theirs.

Now they are wondering why the system is in a total mess....??

You are, sometimes, rather unpleasant. State school teachers did not leave their pupils to rot. You have absolutely no idea of the amount of support, and teaching, provided by teachers while schools have been shut (and of course they have been open for vulnerable/key worker students and their state school teachers).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    Dura_Ace said:

ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:
    But isn´t that the French system anyway? They accept into the universities anyody who qualifies, and then cut down numbers once they can see what they have got. The UK tradition is to put up the barriers first, then hardly ever fail those who have been admitted.

It seems to me that this year they ought to go for the French model.
    That's not true for the Écoles normales supérieures. To enter those illustrious institutions students spend two years (hypokhâgne/khâgne) just learning how to take the ridiculously competitive and difficult entrance exam for the ENS.
    And achieves a level of privilege and isolation of the tops jobs in France to that august group that Oxford PPE Dept. could only dream of....
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    rkrkrk said:

Did anyone on here retake their A-levels and spend an extra year at school?

Not something I considered at the time (and luckily* I got what I needed), but I know a few who did (one now a junior doctor thanks to it), and it worked out well for all of them in the long-run.

*I do mean luckily. I somehow got a D on one final paper. My whole class did. Never got to the bottom of what happened there - several got re-marks that stayed the same.

I took my A levels a year early and then took them again a year later and of course got better grades. I was also unique in that I was the only person in the Arts stream to take A level Maths and Statistics. This proved very useful in my career.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,790
    glw said:

Covid 19 is not a nice thing obviosuly to have sweeping through a country but Brazil will get herd immunity (like Sweden ) faster than lockdown countries - They will then be better placed in a number of ways next year

That would take about 0.6 to 1.2 million dead Brazilians, and 120 million potentially facing a lifetime of chronic disease, in order to reach herd immunity. That sounds like quite a high price for a slightly better economy if you ask me.
    Slightly better economy? Any evidence that the laissez-faire approach leads to that.

Looks like the double whammy to me.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Here is a prediction you can call me on later:

In 4 weeks time Sweden is going to see an increase in its 7-day average Covid deaths.

I suspect that will be the case for many nations. It still won't make their approach incorrect.
    Many have the notion that Sweden has achieved herd immunity.
    Seriously?

Wow, that's taking wishful thinking and dialling it up to 12.

Have they stopped to wonder why Sweden have continued to maintain all their measures? Do they think it's just for fun?

Not to mention this apparent fantasy they have that Sweden have done virtually nothing and continued to live life as always. Comparing the actual measures, they're rather less different from us right now than most people would suspect.

I think it's one of those "use a single word for a whole category of possibilities and pretend everything in that category is exactly the same and everything out of it shares no traits with it" things. There's probably a snazzy term for it, because we see it all the time in all sorts of areas.

We called what we did a "lockdown," but no-one came around with a key and locked me in. I was outside literally every day of the lockdown, completely within the rules and guidelines. So were every member of my family.

We were going to takeaways during the latter period of "lockdown," which is something I'd not have thought if I'd just heard the term.
    Sweden has to be wrong, or the entire framework of the disease you have set up in your mind, all the sacrifices you have made and are still prepared to make and the avid way you have swallowed every piece of government propaganda, all turn to dust.

Its sad really.

I do note you've abandoned any simulation of trying to reason in favour of just blaring out what you want to be true in the hope of sympathetic magic somehow taking over.

Obviously some of us are still able to travel - here's where you've been ever since the start:

I follow,. and have always followed, the estimable professor Gupta and the Oxford team. I asrgued for their views on here months ago.

And why wouldn't I, when their predictions have turned out to be almost completely correct, and almost exactly on the timescale they suggested.

Now professor Gupta is warning that continued social distancing and masking up risk weakening our immune systems for something else to cut a swathe through the population.

And again, I agree with her. Why wouldn't I, considering how very right she has been?
    Professor Gupta generally gets a more balanced write up in the Indian press, than she does here. Too much of the reporting in the UK is skewed by the media's determination to sensationalise.

It's worth reading her comments in this piece from the Indian media.

https://www.inventiva.co.in/stories/meghashree/how-coronavirus-is-likely-to-end-most-of-us-wont-even-need-the-vaccine/
    Thanks.

It isn;t just the media's sensationalism that has denied Professor Gupta a fair hearing. It also does not suit the government's agenda.

Because if professor Gupta is right then the people of Britain have paid, are paying and will pay an enormous price for nothing.

And that cannot be allowed to be seen to be correct because of the implications of that outcome for this administration.

In the Telegraph Alistair Heath is calling the Corona panic one of the worst policy responses of any British government ever.

About three months after I did just that on here.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Even after the adjustments? Oh, the argument is maths has been adjusted down too much, rather than teachers predicting too high grades for further maths.
    More likely, the different ways that they were adjusted.

Most sixth forms will have a big enough A Level maths cohort to be put through the Ofqual algorithm, so the stats match last year. (For cohorts larger than 15, the teacher grades seem to have been ignored totally; the grades are just the teacher rank order mapped onto the grade curve Ofqual predicted from past performance.) Many further maths cohorts will be small enough that teacher assessment was used, either in full or in part.
    Yes I think I might have sussed this now. Algo input = previous school performance + kids ranked in order by teachers. Algo output = the grades dictated by that input.

BUT, for small cohorts override the Algo with the teacher estimated grades for each individual child. Which will be higher since teachers will (quite rightly) wish to put down the best feasible result for each student.

Upshot -

Two tier system. Skewed in favour of small cohorts. Big winners, niche subjects, private schools, small schools. Big losers, kids doing mainstream subjects in large mainstream places - comps, 6th form colleges - that do not have a good track record for Algo input.

My view FWIW. Use the teacher grades for all. Accept the grade inflation as a lesser evil than the above inequity which will be screwing up real lives and prospects right now and what's worse is biased against the kids who are already up against it.

IMO @Luckyguy1983's analogy the other day - educational QE alleviating short term migraine at the price of a longer term mild headache - was one of the better analogies we have had on here in recent times.
  • Options
    Surprised this visit hasn't affected recent polling. Or effected as Scottish Tories might say.

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1294214186357133312?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Malc, any chance you could write a header to explain how Scotland’s finances work and how the UK government is robbing Scotland blind, I’m sure others would like to understand where you are coming from.

Whenever I hear things from the SNP regarding tax and finance I am instantly reminded about this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elzzlgcfNgw

and wonder what drugs they are taking.

The sad truth for the SNP is that all their dreams are based on oil wealth and wealth from oil is a story that has been and is virtually gone.
    Surely this is something the SNP would welcome given the by products of oil include plastics, diesel and petrol. Products which cause anxiety to some of the very state funded lobbyists the SNP panders to.
    Ignorance of Scotland on here is breathtaking. Two posts here that are just pathetic and ignorant.
    Are the SNP not fully on board with tackling the twin evils of plastic carrier bags and the combustion Engiine ? HAve they not banned petrol and diesel fuelled cars at some point in the future which will, no doubt, be pulled forward at the behest of their lobbyists ?
    OIl revenue does not form any major part of their finances, it is a dwindling small bonus, the real money from it has gone to other people outside Scotland.
    They are being prevented implementing significant replacements by poor management from the RAJ.
    That's not answering my question.
    They have not banned any cars to my knowledge, they have set climate/CO2 targets for 30 or 40 years time which is extremely sensible. What is your real question , assume you are a fracking fan.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

glw said:

Covid 19 is not a nice thing obviosuly to have sweeping through a country but Brazil will get herd immunity (like Sweden ) faster than lockdown countries - They will then be better placed in a number of ways next year

That would take about 0.6 to 1.2 million dead Brazilians, and 120 million potentially facing a lifetime of chronic disease, in order to reach herd immunity. That sounds like quite a high price for a slightly better economy if you ask me.
    Slightly better economy? Any evidence that the laissez-faire approach leads to that.

Looks like the double whammy to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cNd0hbIoQk
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Surprised this visit hasn't affected recent polling. Or effected as Scottish Tories might say.

Loving the hoodie over the shirt and tie look. 50% skatepark 50% Wall Street. He's hitting those key demographics. What an absolute throbbing infected twat he is.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Not something I considered at the time (and luckily* I got what I needed), but I know a few who did (one now a junior doctor thanks to it), and it worked out well for all of them in the long-run.

*I do mean luckily. I somehow got a D on one final paper. My whole class did. Never got to the bottom of what happened there - several got re-marks that stayed the same.

Yes, I retook mine - though I went to college for the extra year rather than stay at the school sixth form. No regrets, and no negative long-term impact. Funnily enough, I think I benefited from the 'wasted year'. I was better prepared for university, academically and, more importantly, socially - I'd grown up a lot. Incidentally, the college teaching was better than at school, and I did very well second time round.
    Opposite for me. Went to uni as a callow 17 year old - one day, mining town South Yorkshire, next day London SW7 - and duly went nuts.
  • Options

Fuck me, first Shapps, then Sun reptiles stalking rescue workers, and now Chuck and his entourage. Stoney's cup runneth over (with what is yet to be ascertained).

Yeah, it's shocking how intolerant we are of Sun hacks chasing rescue workers for statements and doorstepping the family of the dead driver. Not too happy about someone who broke lockdown while suffering from Covid dragging his sorry arse about the place either.

Still, you managed to turn on a sixpence and give your support to BJ, so you'd just about tolerate anything.
    No.

I just find the intolerance from the SNP very sad and reflect on my late father in law, who was a highly successful Scots sceine net skipper rejecting all to do with nationalism 50 years ago
    Political activist on social media tend to be a loud and unpleasant bunch but it is a special kind of unpleasant that many Cybernats seem to subscribe to.
    My Scots wife has become thoroughly ashamed of them and their anti English bile and not one of the Cybernats on here speak for her
    The lack of condemnation of the anti English bile from the SNP high command rather damns them.

How is it acceptable for their supporters to stand by the border with signs and placards demanding the English keep out of Scotland.

Cybernats and SNP supporters, by and large, are happy to justify and excuse their bigotry.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/stay-fk-away-convoy-scottish-nationalists-attempt-blockade-english-border-2904148
    What a wally, it is supposedly a free country you absolute dipstick. Not an "Only do what the English say you can do " dictatorship.
    Using that toilet paper rubbish suggests you are just a petty Little Englander given there was no attempt to blockade any border. A few people who obviously had little to do stood on a flyover waving flags, hardly insurrection. Put on your pearls and twinset and go out for afternoon tea , calm you down.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Malc, any chance you could write a header to explain how Scotland’s finances work and how the UK government is robbing Scotland blind, I’m sure others would like to understand where you are coming from.

Whenever I hear things from the SNP regarding tax and finance I am instantly reminded about this song

The sad truth for the SNP is that all their dreams are based on oil wealth and wealth from oil is a story that has been and is virtually gone.
    Surely this is something the SNP would welcome given the by products of oil include plastics, diesel and petrol. Products which cause anxiety to some of the very state funded lobbyists the SNP panders to.
    Ignorance of Scotland on here is breathtaking. Two posts here that are just pathetic and ignorant.
    Are the SNP not fully on board with tackling the twin evils of plastic carrier bags and the combustion Engiine ? HAve they not banned petrol and diesel fuelled cars at some point in the future which will, no doubt, be pulled forward at the behest of their lobbyists ?
    OIl revenue does not form any major part of their finances, it is a dwindling small bonus, the real money from it has gone to other people outside Scotland.
    They are being prevented implementing significant replacements by poor management from the RAJ.
    They have not banned any cars to my knowledge, they have set climate/CO2 targets for 30 or 40 years time which is extremely sensible. What is your real question , assume you are a fracking fan.
    I have no strong views on fracking either way.

They have put in place a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars in the future.
  • Options

Again on education the whinging of the commentariat really is astonishing.

They backed the shutting down of schools. Argued against any even partial re-openings. Back Unions and teachers in their quest not to resume teaching or to resume it on their own terms. Gave zero criticism to state school teachers who left their pupils to rot whilst the private sector kept educating theirs.

Now they are wondering why the system is in a total mess....??

You are, sometimes, rather unpleasant. State school teachers did not leave their pupils to rot. You have absolutely no idea of the amount of support, and teaching, provided by teachers while schools have been shut (and of course they have been open for vulnerable/key worker students and their state school teachers).
    1)
    a) Some state schools have been excellent.
    b) Some have been shit.
    c) Some have been shut

2)
    a) Some private schools have been excellent.
    b) Some have been shit.
    c) Some have been shut.

On personal anecdote level, I know of examples of 1a, 1b, 2a & 2b

Some actual data would inform the discussion as to the relative merits.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

They have put in place a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars in the future.
    Scotland is to phase out the sale of both petrol and diesel cars by 2032
  • Options

No.

I don't think he was a sceine net skipper..
    Seine net of course but does not alter the fact he rejected everything about Scots nationalism.
    No offence, but what's that got to do with 2020?
    My late father in law warned of the destructive nature of nationalism and though that was 50 years ago it is still relevant today and is evidenced by the increasing attacks on all things English
    You have lost the plot now G, you will be putting Vera Lynn videos up next and pictures of spitfires. If the English act like fascists and try to subjugate a country they deserve all they get. They need to get a backbone and some principles and tell their English government to practice some democracy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    rkrkrk said:

My brother-in-law resat his A-levels and then got in to Med School. (Original A-levels in World Cup year was his undoing)

Then retired at 58. Which was nice.

So one year extra work for 8 years extra leisure. Sounds like a good trade-off
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

No.

The lack of condemnation of the anti English bile from the SNP high command rather damns them.

How is it acceptable for their supporters to stand by the border with signs and placards demanding the English keep out of Scotland.

Cybernats and SNP supporters, by and large, are happy to justify and excuse their bigotry.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/stay-fk-away-convoy-scottish-nationalists-attempt-blockade-english-border-2904148
    What a wally, it is supposedly a free country you absolute dipstick. Not an "Only do what the English say you can do " dictatorship.
    Using that toilet paper rubbish suggests you are just a petty Little Englander given there was no attempt to blockade any border. A few people who obviously had little to do stood on a flyover waving flags, hardly insurrection. Put on your pearls and twinset and go out for afternoon tea , calm you down.

What a load of incomprehensible gibberish, littered with some nationalist bile.

There is no excuse for SNP supporters standing on the border and demanding visitors to England turn around and go back home. Keep Scotland pure from nasty Covid 19 (in spite of the Scottish govts inept handling of the crisis) That's the sort of thing Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson get up to in Kent.
  • Options

No.

Your pathetic snivelling use of "Cybernats" is pretty telling. Just another Tory unionist troll.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    malcolmg said:

No.

Seine net of course but does not alter the fact he rejected everything about Scots nationalism.
    My late father in law warned of the destructive nature of nationalism and though that was 50 years ago it is still relevant today and is evidenced by the increasing attacks on all things English
    You have lost the plot now G, you will be putting Vera Lynn videos up next and pictures of spitfires. If the English act like fascists and try to subjugate a country they deserve all they get. They need to get a backbone and some principles and tell their English government to practice some democracy.
    Well, since you asked nicely Malc:
    https://youtu.be/f0Dwf93z7w8
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

No.

They were standing on the Scottish border, not a motorway bridge, that I drove over for the first time on my own after passing my test in 1961.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Don't worry - by the time the next election comes around the people impacted will be in their first jobs and have discovered how much their lower grades and resultant university choices impacted their life time income.
    No they won't! A 21/22 year old will have no idea whatsoever what their position would have been in the counterfactual world where they got a marginally higher grade and went to a fractionally better university.

I don't mean to diminish the issue, but your assertion is just so obviously wrong and made for effect.
    I thought half those coming out of Uni ending up working in pubs or such like in any case. Only ones guaranteed riches are the toffs.
    Well you thought wrong. The median graduate salary (that's median - your typical student from a typical uni) is ten grand higher than non-graduates. For recent graduates, the gap is only about five grand but grows over their career. Some spend a while in jobs for which they are overqualified... but the figures indicate the large majority get decent starter-level jobs.

I know you come from a particular angle and can't see an axe without wanting to grind it, but it's that sort of myth-perpetuating, wildly inaccurate nonsense that discourages young people from making the effort with education.
    What are those median salaries out of interest ( serious question ), I am always happy to be educated. I did say it in jest rather than grinding the axe mind you, but well put. My sense of humour is often wasted on here.
    PS:salary ranges would be good also if you have them to hand.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

No.

How are "The English" (an enemy that really only exists in the fevered imaginings of Cybernats) acting as "fascists" towards poor little scotland.

The SNP are fascist enough, it would seem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53567229

As for Indy I would happily see Scotland go. I hold no torch for the union. If you dont want to be a part of it go, and go now for me. Scotland willingly entered into the act of Union, unlike the Emerald Isle.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,900
    "London's Unbuilt Monorail

Monorail systems once looked like the most futuristic form of public transport. Today, their reputation isn't quite as bright, but in the 1960s there were plans to bring an elaborate monorail network to the centre of London."

https://notquitetangible.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

No.

You are becoming the Mark Francois of the SNP Malc, and actually attempting to denigrate a really wonderful Scotsman who spent his life fishing and developing the Scots and Irish fishing industries.

He was as proud of his country as you claim to be but called out nationalism for the destructive force it is
  • Options

No.

I'm sure we're all deeply disappointed to hear this revelation as hitherto we thought we had definitely spoken for your wife. We'll leave that to you in the future.
    Given she lives in Wales and has no say in Scottish Independence , I fail to see the connection or relevance. Bit like me worrying about the Mayor of london, and stating that none of those nasty CyberLondoners speak for me.
  • Options

Im off to play golf

Totally randomly I thought I would give you my top 10 records:

1. Bad U2
    2. Nite Club - The Specials
    3. Dr Jimmy - The Who
    4. Home - American Music Club
    5. Elvis Presley and America - U2
    6. The only one I know - The Charlatans
    7. Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    8. I am I said - Neil Diamond
    9. Heart of Gold - Neil Young
    10. Space Age Love Song - A Flock of Seagulls

Have a great afternoon!

Odd one. You've hit the heights and sank into disrepute there at the same time.

Number 9. OMG, such a good song. Loved it back then. Love it now.

But WTF is number 8 all about? That cannot be in there. Please tell me that's a typo.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

No.

They were standing on the Scottish border, not a motorway bridge, that I drove over for the first time on my own after passing my test in 1961.

This article in The Metro has pictures of these cranks shouting abuse and also reports they were taking down number plates too. In order to shame people to death no less.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/05/scottish-nationalists-tell-english-stay-fk-away-blockade-border-12947735/
  • Options
    O/T - if SKS succeeds in his calls in devaluing the English A level results as Scotland's politicians were seemingly willing to do, I will not be a happy bunny.

Totally unrelated Scrap Jnr got 3 A*s ....
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Dura_Ace said:

Loving the hoodie over the shirt and tie look. 50% skatepark 50% Wall Street. He's hitting those key demographics. What an absolute throbbing infected twat he is.
    He’s a weird wee midge of a man, size-wise, but actually he comes over well on TV. Relaxed, amiable, articulate, not too posh. He will survive the end of furlough. He will be a real test for the Labour leader that faces him (and Nats, LDs, etc)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    There’s no way back for Lukashenko from the level of open defiance he’s facing now.

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1294228763346075648?s=21
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

O/T - if SKS succeeds in his calls in devaluing the English A level results as Scotland's politicians were seemingly willing to do, I will not be a happy bunny.

How did a school did he go to and what did last years exam results look like?

I'm saying that as our friends in Cornwall (very small school) did well but our friends elsewhere definitely didn't.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol. A one day PhD in how to further devalue the French university system
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Andy_JS said:

Monorail systems once looked like the most futuristic form of public transport. Today, their reputation isn't quite as bright, but in the 1960s there were plans to bring an elaborate monorail network to the centre of London."

Looks great if you want to go north/south, lousy if you want to go east/west.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rkrkrk said:

Yes, I had to retake history, which was a bit embarrassing as that was my university subject. However, I knew I’d be going into the Upper Sixth anyway as I had dropped English after a year in preference for a new classical civilization course which was just starting up - I hadn’t even applied for university in my Middle Sixth year. Retaking history solved the problem of what I would do with half my time in my final year.

It worked out well, I was a lazy school student and I think the extra year made all the difference in my maturity for university.
  • Options

Congratulations to Scrap Jr. some good news.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

No.

You are becoming the Mark Francois of the SNP Malc, and actually attempting to denigrate a really wonderful Scotsman who spent his life fishing and developing the Scots and Irish fishing industries.

He was as proud of his country as you claim to be but called out nationalism for the destructive force it is
    G, if he was happy to have to ask someone in London what he could do with his money and doff his cap to them great, millions were happy to go and die in foreign fields for these people, luckily most people are not so stupid nowadays.
    Nothing destructive about wishing to run your own countries affairs, rather being such a spineless creature that you need someone in London to do it for you is the issue here. Especially when it is a nasty cretin like Johnson.
    I am not a member of the SNP either, something else you people cannot understand. I am a person who wants his country to run its own affairs, not some saddo that joins a bent club and worships it regardless of how evil it is.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

I'm saying that as our friends in Cornwall (very small school) did well but our friends elsewhere definitely didn't.
    I gather the school is appealing their results en masse - it's a grammar and seemingly those types of state school saw the least uplift in A/A*s compared to other types of schools year on year. I think smaller cohort schools will generally have fared better as my understanding is the teachers predictions were relied on.

But others (ydoethur) on here know a lot more than I do.
  • Options

There’s no way back for Lukashenko from the level of open defiance he’s facing now.

Unfortunately until or unless the army and police abandon him there still is.

And don’t rule out Putin playing silly buggers either. Look what he did when his not quite a stooge in Ukraine got kicked out.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

No.

How are "The English" (an enemy that really only exists in the fevered imaginings of Cybernats) acting as "fascists" towards poor little scotland.

As for Indy I would happily see Scotland go. I hold no torch for the union. If you dont want to be a part of it go, and go now for me. Scotland willingly entered into the act of Union, unlike the Emerald Isle.
    More bollox from a fantasist. 12 arseholes who were more English than Scottish got bribed to sell it away.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

No.

Get a grip.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Brits in Dunkirk failing to exhibit the Dunkirk Spirit.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The Tories shat it so much about the possibility of Rishi meeting an average mouthy Glaswegian that they portrayed a trip to an unnamed factory in darkest Renfrewshire as a visit to Glasgow.

I've had to come terms with the deep disappointment that I'm never going to see a Tory cabinet minister (let alone BJ) do walkabout in Sauchiehall St in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

I think there are two different issues with "enforcement" of quarantine.

1) People who break it on a massive scale by going to work/school etc. Would expect employers/schools to send them home if they know about it. And good luck keeping a young child quiet about where they were on holiday a week ago

2) People who break it, period. The actual rules on quarantine are ludicrously strict. You CANNOT leave the house for any virtually any reason, even a walk in the immediate vicinity (except to shops where absolutely essential).

This is absurd to the point of ridiculousness on a relative risk basis compared to what is going on elsewhere in the country. It was designed for people much earlier in the crisis having come into probable proven contact with an infected individual, not a country with allegedly relatively high infection rates. What is even more absurd is that the quarantine doesn't apply to people who live in your house but who weren't on holiday with you. So a person living on their own, coming into contact with nobody, probably uninfected isn't even allowed to go for a walk around the block. A person living with somebody else can however pass it on to somebody they live with, who is free to do whatever they want, spreading it to whoever they wish.

Who designs these rules???

Probably the same modellers who built a model that predicted 500k dead in UK alone.
    As a worst case with no action taken to stop the spread.

Considering we have had about 50k deaths with about 7% of the country infected and the NHS never overwhelmed it seems quite plausible that if we had seen the worst case of the NHS overwhelmed and 50% infected then 500k deaths would be quite plausible as a worst case.

What's ridiculous about that?
    40k deaths, and no-one really knows how many have been infected. The counter to your challenge is that nothing like it (in terms of death rate) has happened anywhere in the world.

I dont believe there is any possibility that, even had we done nothing at all, we'd be looking at death rates of half to two million.
    That's because the worst case scenario is with inaction and there was never going to be inaction. It's like saying if you're driving at 70mph and see a stopped car ahead of you that if you don't break or change lanes the worst case scenario is you hit that car at 70mph and die. If you break then you don't say I avoided an accident so I clearly didn't need to break.
    That's an analogy fail along the lines of many such similar offered up during Brexit.

Italy did next to nothing in the early weeks when the virus was spreading through Lombardy - they had a terrible regional crisis with overflowing hospitals, but no sign of a death rate approaching anywhere near those sorts of levels. Similarly in Iran - one of the earliest outbreaks - where the 'action' they were taking included going out and licking shrines and the like. I well remember Eadric linking to Twitter videos of people dropping dead in the street and suggesting Iran may be hiding deaths on a truly epic scale - yet nothing along those lines has emerged since then.
    Iran was hiding deaths on an epic scale. Its ‘officially released’ figures were one-third of the official figures, which probably still undercount the number of deaths.
    Some way short of the equivalent of two million UK deaths, nevertheless. Indeed, treble Iran's declared deaths and you are still only just above the actual declared rate in the UK
    No model said two million deaths. The derided model actually said 250k deaths without a lockdown and we had a lockdown and about 50k deaths.

Iran has a third of our rate of elderly population.
    It's still nonsense, though.

The Diamond Princess had nearly three thousand mostly elderly passengers confined together for a whole fortnight in the worst possible conditions for virus transmission with no special restrictions for Coronavirus. The death toll finished at fourteen, with NONE of the thousand or so crew dying despite nearly 150 of them catching the virus.

Apply the same proportionate death rate among the passenger base to the elderly population of the UK (say the 16% of so who are over age 65) and you project a death rate in the region of 50,000. Not 500,000 and certainly not 2,000,000.

No model said two million. In fact I can't recall a model saying 500,000 I thought it was 250,000 that Ferguson's model said.

Given we're already above 50,000 by excess deaths I believe with a lockdown then more is certainly very, very possible without one.
    The seroprevalence survey (which is both the most recent and by far the best data we have) just published by Imperial suggests around 6% of the UK have been infected.
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/institute-of-global-health-innovation/Ward-et-al-120820.pdf
    And only around 3% of over 65s.

This is not like a bad winter flu at all. The fatality rate is evidently much higher (likely around 1%), and it is far from over.

Unless, of course, we have effective vaccines.
    What we still don't know though is what proportion of the population have natural immunity. If say 2/3rds of the population are not susceptible to the virus, then an infection rate of 6% will itself have gone some significant way towards limiting the capacity of the virus to reproduce going forward, when combined with limited changes in behaviour of the population.
    We do have some idea about that.
    The prevalence of cross reactive antibodies from other coronaviruses in the general population seems to be fairly low (around 10-15%), and significantly higher in young children (25-30%).
    It’s also thought (though there’s no certainty on this) that doesn’t make you ‘immune‘ - it’s likely than you can still be infected (and potentially infectious), but you’re probably going to be one of the asymptomatic or very mildly ill.
    No, by "immune" in this context I meant the proportion of the population who cannot become infectious (and do not suffer anything worse than mild symptoms if any themselves). I have seen reports of other studies to the effect that researchers consider that the figure is quite high and contributed to the dramatic fall in the R number, because it means that the number infected is quite high as a % of the number capable of passing the virus on. Certainly, in making the case for the reopening of schools, the government is saying that for young children the immunity (non-infectious) proportion is close to 100% rather than the 25% you cite, because they say there is no risk to adult school staff catching the virus off them.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    ydoethur said:

Which explains why he is not keen on others doing as well
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

No.

Ydoethur, Hoist with my own petard. You having fun, being classed as one of the biggest cheats and liars in history , by the way. How many of your students got downgraded in the debacle.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

eek said:

I gather the school is appealing their results en masse - it's a grammar and seemingly those types of state school saw the least uplift in A/A*s compared to other types of schools year on year. I think smaller cohort schools will generally have fared better as my understanding is the teachers predictions were relied on.

Yes, to your comment on cohorts, although with the extra information about the flaws in this algorithm the one who will probably have suffered worst are the ones with cohorts of 15-20. If you have 300 students you should have meaningful data to work with (although it’s weird from that FE colleges see, to have suffered) and if you have fewer than 15 teacher grades become critical. At 15 you have the worst of all worlds, where a meaningless statistical basis will have been applied with zero margin for error.

I think though with grammars, even allowing that the gap at sixth form isn’t as stark, the fact their grades are generally pretty high and consistently high anyway means there shouldn’t have been much variation. I’m intrigued if that isn’t the case.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

Scotland is to phase out the sale of both petrol and diesel cars by 2032
    and that will ever happen
  • Options

They're relying on the Germans to screw up?
  • Options

Pull up the tailgate, Jack; I'm all right.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And don’t rule out Putin playing silly buggers either. Look what he did when his not quite a stooge in Ukraine got kicked out.
    There are lots of examples on social media of people from the police and the army throwing away their uniforms and joining the protests.

I think this is also a harder situation for Putin than Ukraine because the Belarusian state has been portraying the opposition as Russian stooges.
  • Options
    With a company restructure imminent I am doing a little reading. It seems a little odd that the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme can be used to pay employees during their notice period having been made redundant. Has the potential to in effect cut the value of my contractual notice period by a third...
  • Options

Blaming the French for sure. Probably a bit of light looting, queue jumping and pant wetting too.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

No.

Ydoethur, Hoist with my own petard. You having fun, being classed as one of the biggest cheats and liars in history , by the way. How many of your students got downgraded in the debacle.
    Without going into details - let’s just say the exam boards in effect accepted my judgements. So personally, I have not been branded a cheat or a liar with the exception of a couple of unpleasant people on here.

But I’m still very angry about the shambolic way this has been handled. It really does make me wonder whether it’s worth staying in teaching, because what’s the point if everything you do is misjudged on the basis of a flawed algorithm incorrectly applied? Why put up with the hassle for an extra five weeks’ holiday a year?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Andy_JS said:

Don't mention it to Boris.
  • Options

Blaming the French for sure. Probably a bit of light looting, queue jumping and pant wetting too.
    Plus Laurence Fox getting triggered like a snowflake when he sees Indians and Pakistanis helping out at Dunkirk.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The Tories shat it so much about the possibility of Rishi meeting an average mouthy Glaswegian that they portrayed a trip to an unnamed factory in darkest Renfrewshire as a visit to Glasgow.

I've had to come terms with the deep disappointment that I'm never going to see a Tory cabinet minister (let alone BJ) do walkabout in Sauchiehall St in my lifetime.
    Given the high level of anti English bigotry is it any wonder. Add to that his being non white. It's a toxic combination in some areas in Scotland.

The man is doing a job, I dont especially agree with his politics, but the Tory Party has a duty of care to his physical safetyy.

• Options

ydoethur said:

There are lots of examples on social media of people from the police and the army throwing away their uniforms and joining the protests.

I think this is also a harder situation for Putin than Ukraine because the Belarusian state has been portraying the opposition as Russian stooges.
    Look at Chechnya - one of Putins proud achievements.
  • Options

With a company restructure imminent I am doing a little reading. It seems a little odd that the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme can be used to pay employees during their notice period having been made redundant. Has the potential to in effect cut the value of my contractual notice period by a third...

I do not see how; it is not backdated. If your employer makes 20 or more people redundant, there must be a consultation period. Only after that consultation can they dismiss people, which is when your notice period starts. (Mine has five weeks left.) They can't backdate when this started, and aiui they cannot furlough you now if you were not already furloughed.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

No.

More bollox from a fantasist. 12 arseholes who were more English than Scottish got bribed to sell it away.
    A false flag conspiracy theory. Awesome. In thirties Germany you'd be claiming Marinus V D Lubbe burnt the Reichstag down.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

We have yet to be told where he visited, Rochdale Pioneers was seemingly only person that saw him. We saw him and that other FUD Ross walking hand in hand on the beach somewhere unknown and we know he stopped people who had queued for ages getting the ferry as he stole their places at last minute, but never seen in public which is standard Tory protocol.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Look at Chechnya - one of Putins proud achievements.
    Chechnya is both inside the Russian Federation and outside the sympathies of most Russians, so it's a very different story.
  • Options
    Anecdote Klaxon.

My hairdresser tells me that her friend in Croydon council says the government has plans to seal off London overnight, by putting the army all along the M25. Soon.

Now, i ascribe a veracity value of about 0.01 to this gossip. Sure, HMG is preparing for all scenarios, but this is extreme.

However it is interesting as a picture of how ordinary people are approaching the virus. They don’t think it’s over. They’re still scared. They’re probably right.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

nichomar said:

A good intention rather than a ban
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Dura_Ace said:

Given the high level of anti English bigotry is it any wonder. Add to that his being non white. It's a toxic combination in some areas in Scotland.

The man is doing a job, I dont especially agree with his politics, but the Tory Party has a duty of care to his physical safetyy.

Opinions on Scotland on PB are like assholes, everyone's got one. However the assholes on one particular side all seem eerily similar; noisome, malformed and of no interest to anyone else. Welcome to that club.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I very much hope you’re right.

In addition to being vile, corrupt, dishonest and murderous, the man’s an idiot who’s too damn thick to run a country. If he’d gone for 51-46 he might have got away with it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    MattW said:

Fpt

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I very much applaud the idea that where Unionism has been going wrong is not displaying enough Union flags.

https://twitter.com/markdiffley1/status/1294015753969172480?s=20

I don"t see why they wouldn't be? Protects funded by the EU and the Scottish Government are.
    Which made such an impact in the EU referendum...
    In Scotland?

Projects invariably include a plaque or similar detailing their funding, and this invariably includes the flag or emblem of those organisations. When the UK was in the EU, our subs (correct me if I'm wrong) came from the UK Govt., and then the EU kindly gave us some of or money back with projects emblazoned with their flag - quite a few in Scotland. That situation was a convenient one for the SNP. Not suggesting it won them elections, but it was a nice arrangement. Do they now expect the UK Government to disguise it's involvement in funding projects because...reasons?
    Because the arses are just using our money , and trying to make out it is largesse and that we are paupers. They can stick their UK union plaques and projects up their arses.
    Well yes, but that's the case with the Scottish Government, and all the quangos like HIE. Spending our money and expecting to be thanked for it is pretty much what Governments do.
    Well I doubt they get that many thanks, more brickbats. This will backfire big time on Bozo the clown , he is hated already and thinking he can pretend that he can take credit for spending our money will make us want to stay a colony is barking. He can F*** right off, the plaques will go in the bin.
    It's non news Malc. All those projects carry the same type of plaques. There's absolutely no reason why the UK Government should deliberately hide its involvement, other than for the SNP's political convenience
    If anyone cares to send me their bank balance, I'll happily return 80% of it and a "Donation Courtesy of Matt W" plaque for your mantelpiece so you can acknowledge my beneficence.

Great thinking - sadly if you're after an EU job, you've left your run a bit late.
  • Options
    alexquantalexquant Posts: 1
    edited August 2020
    Hi Folks.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion. I've altered this websites banner, to demonstrate it is vulnerable to hacking. I've no idea how to contact the web admin, so could someone alert them to this ASAP before someone comes along and destroys the site (hopefully it's backed up)?

I tried contacting rcs1000 at gmail dot com earlier but have not heard back.

Regards.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Opinions on Scotland on PB are like assholes, everyone's got one. However the assholes on one particular side all seem eerily similar, noisome, malformed and of no interest to anyone else. Welcome to that club.
    You realize you are claiming that you have a unique, appetizing, well-formed and interesting asshole.

I know Scot Nats are famous for their bizarre narcissism, but still...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

In addition to being vile, corrupt, dishonest and murderous, the man’s an idiot who’s too damn thick to run a country. If he’d gone for 51-46 he might have got away with it.
    Apparently the electoral commission were under instructions to give him a result in the high 60s but at the last minute they were told to make it 80 to rub the people's face in it...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517

Dura_Ace said:

Opinions on Scotland on PB are like assholes, everyone's got one. However the assholes on one particular side all seem eerily similar; noisome, malformed and of no interest to anyone else. Welcome to that club.
    Nice of you to welcome Martin to the serried Nat ranks - and may I commend you on a rare moment of self-awareness.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

Which explains why he is not keen on others doing as well
    Why worry about 10's of thousands losing out when you are all right jack.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Plus Laurence Fox getting triggered like a snowflake when he sees Indians and Pakistanis helping out at Dunkirk.
    Pedant alert - there was no such thing as Pakistan back then!
  • Options
    alexquant said:

Hi Folks.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion. I've altered this websites banner, to demonstrate it is vulnerable to hacking. I've no idea how to contact the web admin, so could someone alert them to this ASAP before someone comes along and destroys the site (hopefully it's backed up)?

Regards.

aiui @rcs1000 is in California so he is probably still in the land of nod (5.30am).
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Opinions on Scotland on PB are like assholes, everyone's got one. However the assholes on one particular side all seem eerily similar, noisome, malformed and of no interest to anyone else. Welcome to that club.
    You realize you are claiming that you have a unique, appetizing, well-formed and interesting asshole.

I know Scot Nats are famous for their bizarre narcissism, but still...
    Well, I hate to boast (that's your job), but...
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Yes and lying assholes to boot , creepily trying to bring racism into fact that he never appeared in public. A real creepy whiny Little englander this one.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

He’s a weird wee midge of a man, size-wise, but actually he comes over well on TV. Relaxed, amiable, articulate, not too posh. He will survive the end of furlough. He will be a real test for the Labour leader that faces him (and Nats, LDs, etc)
    The quasi sacking of Javid and swift elevation of Rishi becomes more intriguing the more I see of him. Because it’s becoming much harder to characterise this as Boris / Cummings forcing out a robust counterweight and putting in an inexperienced puppet.

Rishi’s potential (both electorally and administratively) would have been obvious to Boris before he appointed him. Which makes it start to look much more like active succession planning. One has to wonder what’s been said between them behind closed doors.

There’s a lot to play out from this recession still but a hypothetical Rishi vs Starmer contest in 2024 (or beyond) would be quite a one sided affair one feels.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have just been reading up about Warren Mitchell and came across this on Wilkipedia :
    'He studied physical chemistry at University College, Oxford as an RAF cadet student on a six-month university short course which the armed services sponsored for potential officers.'
    That was in 1944 . Mitchell obviously never graduated and his experience of Oxford was pretty brief. I was unaware of such courses. Do they still exist?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Apparently the electoral commission were under instructions to give him a result in the high 60s but at the last minute they were told to make it 80 to rub the people's face in it...
    Like I said, total idiot. Even contrarian wouldn’t believe a result like that.

But just over 50% would convince enough doubters to make protest quite muted.

Instead, by trying to pretend he won bigly he’s lost all popular authority. He may not be overthrown by the demonstrators but if he doesn’t go soon his own senior supporters will be seeking to remove him.
  • Options
    This plague is just shit now, isn’t it? Just fuck it, drink the Aldi lager, shoot the bloody dog, go live in a tiny Greek shed and do meth kind-of-shit
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

No.

A false flag conspiracy theory. Awesome. In thirties Germany you'd be claiming Marinus V D Lubbe burnt the Reichstag down.
    Obviously you are not well read then , just an empty vessel. Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove you are a fool.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

The quasi sacking of Javid and swift elevation of Rishi becomes more intriguing the more I see of him. Because it’s becoming much harder to characterise this as Boris / Cummings forcing out a robust counterweight and putting in an inexperienced puppet.

Rishi’s potential (both electorally and administratively) would have been obvious to Boris before he appointed him. Which makes it start to look much more like active succession planning. One has to wonder what’s been said between them behind closed doors.

There’s a lot to play out from this recession still but a hypothetical Rishi vs Starmer contest in 2024 (or beyond) would be quite a one sided affair one feels.
    Yes, I can see Sunak easily beating Starmer
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    alexquant said:

Hi Folks.

Regards.

Oh No
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

No.

Without going into details - let’s just say the exam boards in effect accepted my judgements. So personally, I have not been branded a cheat or a liar with the exception of a couple of unpleasant people on here.

But I’m still very angry about the shambolic way this has been handled. It really does make me wonder whether it’s worth staying in teaching, because what’s the point if everything you do is misjudged on the basis of a flawed algorithm incorrectly applied? Why put up with the hassle for an extra five weeks’ holiday a year?
    Have to agree and all the thanks you get for your efforts is to be considered as either too stupid to be able to grade students or alternatively you are a liar and a fraud.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    moonshine said:

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Why? They are both untried or tested as yet Sunak gloss will soon rub off and he will just be yet another very rich Tory trying to fill his spare time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Instead, by trying to pretend he won bigly he’s lost all popular authority. He may not be overthrown by the demonstrators but if he doesn’t go soon his own senior supporters will be seeking to remove him.
    On a Russian political talk show, someone was arguing with a straight face that it's not possible to fake so many votes so such a strong result proves that Lukashenko must have won even if you factor in ballot stuffing! :lol:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Lady G, Sunak would have the potential to win but the sheer weight of being in office for so long and of the pandemic/EU polarisation/problems would be a heavy burden for the Conservatives to bear.

Led by Johnson, they're very likely to be hammered.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Yes, to your comment on cohorts, although with the extra information about the flaws in this algorithm the one who will probably have suffered worst are the ones with cohorts of 15-20. If you have 300 students you should have meaningful data to work with (although it’s weird from that FE colleges see, to have suffered) and if you have fewer than 15 teacher grades become critical. At 15 you have the worst of all worlds, where a meaningless statistical basis will have been applied with zero margin for error.

I think though with grammars, even allowing that the gap at sixth form isn’t as stark, the fact their grades are generally pretty high and consistently high anyway means there shouldn’t have been much variation. I’m intrigued if that isn’t the case.
    I think the problem for colleges in the round is just that their overall results have been held to 2019 values, whereas other institutions have been allowed to inflate to a greater or lesser degree. So if you have just got your A Levels from Bigtown College, the uni place you were hoping for has been nabbed by someone from St Smallcohort's (NB St C's could be independent, or it could be an 11-18 comp). And the best that can happen now is probably a deferred place.

There's also a problem that, with the weighting put on an institution's past performance- pretty rubbish if you are an unusually able student for the college. And the conversion of continuous(ish) rankings into discrete grades seems to have been done in the meanest way possible, which is why some students have been downgraded from a C to a U, rather than C to D.

So yes, it's a big fat mess. But the national KPI of making the grade distribution similar has been met, so why should Downing Street care?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rode the Chester Zoo monorail a couple of years ago, but not sure if it's still operational.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pedant alert - there was no such thing as Pakistan back then!
    Being a pedant, I looked it up. Apparently the term Pakstan was coined in 1933 by an activist as an acronym referring to five northern regions of British India. The 'i' was added later to make pronunciation easier. Thanks for forcing me to learn something new today!
  • Options
    alexquant said:

Hi Folks.

Regards.

@PBModerator

They seem to be telling the truth.
  • Options
    This exams stuff is still going on. Bet it doesn't hurt the Tory lead though, such is life
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Lady G, Sunak would have the potential to win but the sheer weight of being in office for so long and of the pandemic/EU polarisation/problems would be a heavy burden for the Conservatives to bear.

If Johnson goes, as I agree he will, Mr Dancer, then I think the tories will want a fresh start.

They will want to sever links to this most awful of years.
  • Options

Starmer is utterly charmless and boring, and has the problem of Scotland, Sunak has a genuine if geeky/weedy charisma, and is very smart. And doesn’t need Scotland.

Yes I can see Sunak winning a smallish 2024 majority as Recovery Man, after a well timed Boris resignation.
  • Options

Some stirring stuff from Lozza here -

"For tens of thousands of years men and women have toiled together to safeguard the love and imagination of their children. This dogma of language destroying nonsense should be stood up to. You are not a woman because you say you are. You are a woman because you are."

First sentence takes some beating but imo he manages it with the last one.

I plan to use it as a chat-up line.
  • Options
    NHS England Hospital numbers

Headline - 8
    7 days - 7
    Yesterday -1

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

On a Russian political talk show, someone was arguing with a straight face that it's not possible to fake so many votes so such a strong result proves that Lukashenko must have won even if you factor in ballot stuffing! :lol:
    Did the truth ever come out about that rather plump, middle aged lady climbing out of a first floor window with several bags that looked suspiciously as though they were full of ballot papers? The official story was that she was locked in the room and had to be rescued..
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Some stirring stuff from Lozza here -

"For tens of thousands of years men and women have toiled together to safeguard the love and imagination of their children. This dogma of language destroying nonsense should be stood up to. You are not a woman because you say you are. You are a woman because you are."

First sentence takes some beating but imo he manages it with the last one.

I plan to use it as a chat-up line.
    In what way is his first sentence wrong?
This discussion has been closed.