Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

300? Golly, that's some level of infection for one factory.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1293930013901889539?s=20

That will mess up the numbers for a while
    One day, surely? :p
    Not if they all end up in hospital , ICU etc , but I have removed my foot from my mouth regardless.
    Very true. I do often wonder what fraction of the cases are localised outbreaks rather than randomly distributed around the country.
    The data for that is available - and often posted on here. You can see that they're not randomly distributed cases.

In addition, you can go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases and down near the bottom is cases by local area. That brings up a map, with cases indicated on a local area basis.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Not if they all end up in hospital , ICU etc , but I have removed my foot from my mouth regardless.
    Very true. I do often wonder what fraction of the cases are localised outbreaks rather than randomly distributed around the country.
    The data for that is available - and often posted on here. You can see that they're not randomly distributed cases.

In addition, you can go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases and down near the bottom is cases by local area. That brings up a map, with cases indicated on a local area basis.
    I was thinking even more granulated than that. Are all the cases in those cities/towns coming from one or two hotspots, or are there many smaller ones. I suppose you could look on the postcode level and make some sort of histogram of the number of cases per area.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2020

malcolmg said:

Another shit food processing plant.

The company makes 350m sandwiches a year and has about 38% of the UK market
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

malcolmg said:

350m a week?

I hope they send them to the NHS not to Europe.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    New drone footage of the Stonehaven crash - towards the end of the clip you can see what looks like a mudslide (hrs of screen) which may be what initiated the accident.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/video-new-images-shows-scale-of-devastation-stonehaven-train-crash/amp/
  • Options
    Also, 'cultural appropriation', with the negative connotations and arguments that follow, is quite possibly the one of the most reactionary, regressive ideas that is doing the rounds at the moment.

Then again, I've read KCL's recent efforts towards reintroducing segregation...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070

malcolmg said:

Yup. We should probably stop buying processed sandwiches. I've made a mental note to myself (although I haven't bought one for months for obvious reasons).

One great consequence of the 2:3 flexible working model is that people will value their time with colleagues and perhaps start eating proper lunches with them again instead of shovelling in bread and ham at their desks.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Seems to like these types of enclosed spaces , plenty heat , moisture , packed with people , etc.
    Refrigeration, surely?
  • Options
    The "bad light" at the Rose Bowl doesn't look that bad on my telly.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited August 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

I was thinking even more granulated than that. Are all the cases in those cities/towns coming from one or two hotspots, or are there many smaller ones. I suppose you could look on the postcode level and make some sort of histogram of the number of cases per area.
    I would suggest you look at the map I recommended - my area is down to only a few streets (an MSOA if you're an ONS-nut).
  • Options
    How many of these cases are asymptomatic or have symptoms so trivial people carry on as normal?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    edited August 2020
    The main PB site is working again, although the top thread is from 8th August at the moment.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,739
    Andy_JS said:

The main PB site is working again, although the top thread is from 8th August at the moment.

Yes just spotted that. Thought I was in a timewarp.

Then again, I'd want to go back to 2009, when we had a proper government :wink:
  • Options
    Congrats to rcs1000 for getting it working again.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    I still find it incredible that the England death rate is down to under 10 per day by death date, if this information had been revealed sooner how much more economically confident would individuals and businesses feel? I think the PHE has cost us 2-3% of the recovery and necessitated schemes like eat out to help out, it was such a bad decision not to have an end date of the virus and their protests and trying to force a 60 day measure was awful. Glad that the DoH has stood firm and insisted on the internationally comparable measure rather than something cooked up to make everyone stay home to "protect the NHS".
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776

The "bad light" at the Rose Bowl doesn't look that bad on my telly.

A TV camera is a lot better in dark light than the Human Eye
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

Internet is being interrupted by lightning so currently tethering my phone.

I thought you did that with horses
    Well you do, it's also the name given to using your phone as a hotspot for your computer.
    I know I was jesting
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    edited August 2020
    MaxPB said:

I still find it incredible that the England death rate is down to under 10 per day by death date, if this information had been revealed sooner how much more economically confident would individuals and businesses feel? I think the PHE has cost us 2-3% of the recovery and necessitated schemes like eat out to help out, it was such a bad decision not to have an end date of the virus and their protests and trying to force a 60 day measure was awful. Glad that the DoH has stood firm and insisted on the internationally comparable measure rather than something cooked up to make everyone stay home to "protect the NHS".

The death rate isn't, of course, a good measure of risk, given the time lag. Fine when case numbers are falling, but when case numbers are rising the death rate is painting a picture three to four weeks out of date.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Seems to like these types of enclosed spaces , plenty heat , moisture , packed with people , etc.
    Refrigeration, surely?
    for sure
  • Options
    If PB has been hacked, how can we be assured of the safety of our login details. @MikeSmithson was your SQL db compromised?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The cockup over the deaths figures by PHE is a scandal. It has, as you say, destroyed business confidence and that of individuals.

Yet the big numbers suited the media, hence why we will hear very little about the cockup by PHE.
  • Options

If PB has been hacked, how can we be assured of the safety of our login details. @MikeSmithson was your SQL db compromised?

Vanilla is separate.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The cockup over the deaths figures by PHE is a scandal. It has, as you say, destroyed business confidence and that of individuals.

Yet the big numbers suited the media, hence why we will hear very little about the cockup by PHE.
    And they concentrated on the wrong set of numbers. The big news wasn't that deaths are down by 5k. It's that daily deaths were exaggerated by a factor of four!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    The sandwiches all go to M&S, says r4 news
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    edit
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    First or 729th as TSE reopens an old thread....
  • Options
    New thread using an old thread's thread?

Glad that the government is listening if the reports of the u-turn are true. Better late than never.
  • Options
    Just noticed the PalatialBetting title.
  • Options
    Who needs new threads when you can have old threads?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    There seems to be a crack in the space-time continuum..
  • Options
    GCSEs and A-Levels in Wales to go to teacher assessed grade.

Right decision. Now just waiting on England to do the right thing at 4pm too.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

And they concentrated on the wrong set of numbers. The big news wasn't that deaths are down by 5k. It's that daily deaths were exaggerated by a factor of four!
    Im not sure it was a cock up. Their reasoning that they were including all those who had tested positive from months ago that had then died of something else for the huge numbers they were reporting just does not seem right. We were often looking at 80-100 each day more than deaths in hospital. Is it really credible that there were that many covid survivors dying so quickly of something else not in hospital?

It felt to me that they were just making the figures up to embarrass the Government and thats why PHE is now being disbanded.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Did someone get Gavin Williamson to fix the calendar?
This discussion has been closed.