Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Password, ha, I'm just writing the intro for my pre-qualifying tosh and it includes a line about BBC forecasts being less accurate than they once were.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,757
    Politico did a long article on one of the Democrats more impressive new members of Congress a little while back.

The follow up article is equally interesting:
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/08/13/elissa-slotkin-covid-campaigning-michigan-393608
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,382

Betting Post - Weather forecast rain for all 5 days of Test

Cant see anything but a draw. 3 days lost out of 5

Draw 2.08 Betfair

DYOR

The First Test lasted all of 311 overs (including partial overs as full overs).

The forecast is for showers, rather than continuous frontal rain. It may not rain at all on some days, it won't necessarily rain for that long when it does, and better drainage at Test grounds should minimise the length of interruptions.

They should easily manage an average of 70 overs a day, which I'd expect to be enough for a result.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Betting Tip UpdateDraw in Test still available at 2.02 Betfair

I reckon in the whole 5 days will be lucky to get 180 overs in.

IMO very improbable that there can be a result for either side, and that evs is a cracking bet

Anyway DYOR
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    OJ makes the argument that migrants on boats are being used to deflect from government bungling on health and the economy -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/12/demonisation-migrants-tories-scapegoat-covid
  • Options

Nigelb said:

6-1. This match isn't going to be a draw. :)

Might be different with another drop.
    Now you've done it.
    That's it for England's chances.
    But if you've layed the draw, you're ok. Pakistan make 300+ they can easily go on to win.

Netweather still saying no rain. BBC disagree. Can't both be right!
    BBC and Netweather both base their forecasts on the US GFS model - since their forecast data is made freely available to commercial forecasters.

Why not use the Met Office forecast which uses the superior British forecast model?
    I thought the Beeb used the Met Office?

Anyway my beef with all weather forecasters is not that they get it wrong from time to time. That's understandable; it's a difficult art. I want to know why they don't publish their results, at least not in a readily accessible form. Until they start doing so, they can be justly mocked as comparable to astrologers, producing waffly predictions that are never measured against the reality.
    Not any more, they use MeteoGroup, which uses GFS and ECM to make its forecasts.

The Met Office are used by ITV.
    Noted with thanks, but if none of them publish results who knows which is best?
    All of the so-called 'Big Three' models (GFS, ECM and UKMO) are verified retrospectively. I don't have the relevant links to hand but there are there if you mooch around.

ECMWF used to do better at long range.

Of course, to get local forecasts you really need to run a local model. GFS is a 'global' model, whereas the UKMO run both global and local models. I'm not sure about ECM - there are a number of local European models (eg EURO4) but whether they run any I'm not 100% sure

You can run your own local WRF model using GFS inputs if you are so inclined...
    I think ECMWF are still the best, but because they are set up to do medium range forecasts they start their forecasts later, so can run them with more observations, and the comparison isn't entirely fair.

The small European weather services tend to run local area forecast models with ECMWF boundary forcing - e.g. Ireland. Some of these will be run on the ECMWF supercomputer, but the model is run by the national weather service.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1293908184537522179

Jesus, how is this ever acceptable?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

1) Daughter of a friend predicted A*, A, A. Received B, B, C. Failed to get into first choice Uni.

2) Friend last week lost her sense of smell, felt rotten, went to get tested, results were "inconclusive". Feels fine now.

I have managed with these anecdotes to incorporate the vast swathe of PB topics. But wait, one more:

3) Some, many, perhaps most Brexiters are TAPS.

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I voted remain, so you are not talking about me, but I have no idea what a tap is.

Mind you, I did a course for aspiring middle managers once (auto correct wanted that to be “middle ammeters” and I was very tempted to leave it in) and in the personality test phase I came back as a plant. I was not impressed.
    Plant. Quiet for long periods then chips in with a bit of brilliance. One thinks of Teddy Sheringham.
    So a compliment? Not sure the ‘quiet for long periods’ bit works well for a teacher tbh.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.
    But if you've layed the draw, you're ok. Pakistan make 300+ they can easily go on to win.

BBC and Netweather both base their forecasts on the US GFS model - since their forecast data is made freely available to commercial forecasters.

Why not use the Met Office forecast which uses the superior British forecast model?

Anyway my beef with all weather forecasters is not that they get it wrong from time to time. That's understandable; it's a difficult art. I want to know why they don't publish their results, at least not in a readily accessible form. Until they start doing so, they can be justly mocked as comparable to astrologers, producing waffly predictions that are never measured against the reality.
    The BBC weren't willing to pay for Met Office quality.

There's lots of information about the accuracy of Met Office forecasts, but it isn't necessarily pitched for the general audience. For some of the measures they are answerable to government departments which governs the form the measures take. For others they are subject to agreement with other national forecasters - so again there are constraints.

There are some charlatans about who like to claim better accuracy than the Met Office, but when challenged they refuse to agree to a format for independent evaluation.

The groups like Netweather and Meteogroup - who use the US forecasts - tend to do a decent job on converting those to forecasts for a specific place. But in the longer forecast times that doesn't compensate for the underlying forecast not being as good.
    Thanks. That sheds a good deal of light on a murky subject, but I still think the Agencies could make a bit more of an effort to explain the issues to the general public and account for their accuracy, or lack of it.

It really shouldn't be up to us to try and proof their predictions.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited August 2020
    MaxPB said:

Also - I think sitting A-levels is a rite of passage, it's the first serious exam with something important hinging on the results. This cohort now has no experience of going into an exam hall where what you do for the next 3 hours can have life altering outcomes. That's a huge loss for mental toughness IMO.

Maybe a big gain for mental health though.
  • Options

Draw 2.08 Betfair

DYOR

The forecast is for showers, rather than continuous frontal rain. It may not rain at all on some days, it won't necessarily rain for that long when it does, and better drainage at Test grounds should minimise the length of interruptions.

They should easily manage an average of 70 overs a day, which I'd expect to be enough for a result.
    180 over or 350 overs quite a difference of opinion we will see who is right.

Cant see us getting more than 50 today can you?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,958

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

There's lots of information about the accuracy of Met Office forecasts, but it isn't necessarily pitched for the general audience. For some of the measures they are answerable to government departments which governs the form the measures take. For others they are subject to agreement with other national forecasters - so again there are constraints.

There are some charlatans about who like to claim better accuracy than the Met Office, but when challenged they refuse to agree to a format for independent evaluation.

The groups like Netweather and Meteogroup - who use the US forecasts - tend to do a decent job on converting those to forecasts for a specific place. But in the longer forecast times that doesn't compensate for the underlying forecast not being as good.
    Thanks. That sheds a good deal of light on a murky subject, but I still think the Agencies could make a bit more of an effort to explain the issues to the general public and account for their accuracy, or lack of it.

You're just miffed the draw has shortened :D (Same boat, or should that be ark ?) btw.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I know we have seen some surprise results but for Biden to do worse than HC and lose the popular vote, would be shocking, although in US politics who knows
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

Not any more, they use MeteoGroup, which uses GFS and ECM to make its forecasts.

All of the so-called 'Big Three' models (GFS, ECM and UKMO) are verified retrospectively. I don't have the relevant links to hand but there are there if you mooch around.

Of course, to get local forecasts you really need to run a local model. GFS is a 'global' model, whereas the UKMO run both global and local models. I'm not sure about ECM - there are a number of local European models (eg EURO4) but whether they run any I'm not 100% sure

Sure, but verified by whom? And why aren't the details readily available on their sites? That's a requirement that applies to just about everyone in a forecasting business. Why not weather forecasters?
    The Met Office publish lots of information.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/what/accuracy-and-trust/comparing-forecast-accuracy

There's more elsewhere, but you seem to prefer to moan than look for it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

1) Daughter of a friend predicted A*, A, A. Received B, B, C. Failed to get into first choice Uni.

2) Friend last week lost her sense of smell, felt rotten, went to get tested, results were "inconclusive". Feels fine now.

I have managed with these anecdotes to incorporate the vast swathe of PB topics. But wait, one more:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I voted remain, so you are not talking about me, but I have no idea what a tap is.

Mind you, I did a course for aspiring middle managers once (auto correct wanted that to be “middle ammeters” and I was very tempted to leave it in) and in the personality test phase I came back as a plant. I was not impressed.
    Plant. Quiet for long periods then chips in with a bit of brilliance. One thinks of Teddy Sheringham.
    So a compliment? Not sure the ‘quiet for long periods’ bit works well for a teacher tbh.
    It IS a compliment but I see your point, not ideal for a teacher. Kids not guaranteed to sit patiently through several lessons of complete silence waiting for the inspirational nugget. And imagine if they doze off and miss it. Much grief from irate parents. Especially if they're paying fees.
  • Options
    All those holidaying (and residents) on Anglesey and surrounds are being treated to practice displays by the 'Red Arrows' today
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Thanks. One hell of a lay imo. Almost mandatory.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    The Boomers have a lot to answer for. They better hope there is no afterlife and judgement
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020
    I hope this isn't spammy to say but for any gamers here "A Total War Saga: TROY" is now free on Epic for the first 24 hours since its launch today. Will be £35 I believe from tomorrow. Interesting idea giving a new release for free on day one.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/a-total-war-saga-troy/home
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

All those holidaying (and residents) on Anglesey and surrounds are being treated to practice displays by the 'Red Arrows' today

The Spanish air display team are based at St Javea airport five miles away, we often have them practicing over the Mar Menor. Always worth pausing to watch.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    MaxPB said:

Also - I think sitting A-levels is a rite of passage, it's the first serious exam with something important hinging on the results. This cohort now has no experience of going into an exam hall where what you do for the next 3 hours can have life altering outcomes. That's a huge loss for mental toughness IMO.

Dunno about mental toughness, but I honestly didn't know the stuff I was supposed to know until I did all the past papers and practiced and revised. Especially for something like Maths.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    edited August 2020
    Tb absolutely fair, it's the Scotch Conservatives that have deleted their own tweet therefore all the RTs are deleted also.

Of course that still begs the questions of why the sub branch of the governing party of the UK have deleted their own tweet on the day that Gav's shit hit the fan, and why so many English Tory MPs were dutifully rt-ing the semi-literate pish in the first place.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

One thing that won’t happen this year is a massive cock-up by the exam boards themselves. I’ve seen A* candidates get a D or E because the board forgot to add in the mark for one paper or transposed the digits (91% becomes 19% for example). In some cases this has cost people their university place as by the time it had been sorted it had gone to someone else.
    Sometimes a department will get all their students downgraded for no particular reason, and trying to get any exam board to admit that they have made a mistake is like trying to get blood from a stone.
    Obviously there will be students who will not get what they deserve this year, and the way Ofqual have gone about things is not helping. But let’s not pretend that the way things normally go is perfect either.

BiB - Seriously? That's beyond terrible.
    That happened in my school in English Lit 'O' level many years ago. Nothing much changes.

A lot of 'A' students who went on to get an A at A Level got Bs, Cs and Ds. I got an A in the mock exam and was awarded a U in the real one. The entire school year was affected.

I was advised not to challenge it as it wasn't likely to be upgraded very much and a U didn't appear on the certificate. I didn't really care as I did science A levels anyway, so it remains a badge of honour more than anything.

At A level it would of course been a much bigger problem.
    Finally I have an explanation for why I got an E at O-Level English Lit! I sat it in 1983.
    I am embarrassed to say I got a B in History at O Level; otherwise straight As.
    Which is why I can never criticise @ydoethur .
    I got a C in Economics but that never stopped me criticising Brown.
    Your history is not as bad as Brown's economics, though.
    True :smile:
    Nigelb said:

That came out rather less complimentary than intended. Sorry.

I will assume Justin hacked your account :tongue:
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The Spanish air display team are based at St Javea airport five miles away, we often have them practicing over the Mar Menor. Always worth pausing to watch.
    Is that airport still open for commercial flights? Used it about 15 years back when it was cheaper than Alicante.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,059
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

It IS a compliment but I see your point, not ideal for a teacher. Kids not guaranteed to sit patiently through several lessons of complete silence waiting for the inspirational nugget. And imagine if they doze off and miss it. Much grief from irate parents. Especially if they're paying fees.
    Dunno. I would certainly have welcomed more periods of silence from several of my teachers.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

Dunno. I would certainly have welcomed more periods of silence from several of my teachers.
    Teaching using the Quaker method: I wonder if I could get away with it?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Is that airport still open for commercial flights? Used it about 15 years back when it was cheaper than Alicante.
    Closed March last year, vet sad Corvera is in the middle of nowhere and thirty minutes away not ten!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I always find if the atmosphere’s flagging an awesome pun does much to revive things.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I always find if the atmosphere’s flagging an awesome pun does much to revive things.
    My best Physics pun is to say ‘Watt is the unit of power”, wait for some of them to put their hands up, and then say “that was a statement, not a question”.

After the fourth or fifth repetition (in different lessons) most of them have got it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

Being trained to be tolerant of (or even interested in) boring tedium is an important part of the school "hidden" curriculum. It is good training for life, and teaches concentration and persistence. Vital for the world of work.

Though my gritty essay on the reasons why lecturers should not be too entertaining, with the aim of developing students boredom threshold was not well received as part of my MMedEd. Maybe it needed a more Calvinist assessor. If students only study what is interesting and engaging, they are building on foundations of sand.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,960
    edited August 2020
    Quite amazing from Kym Mazelle I thought.

https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1293810974831644672?s=21
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

tlg86 said:

One thing that won’t happen this year is a massive cock-up by the exam boards themselves. I’ve seen A* candidates get a D or E because the board forgot to add in the mark for one paper or transposed the digits (91% becomes 19% for example). In some cases this has cost people their university place as by the time it had been sorted it had gone to someone else.
    Sometimes a department will get all their students downgraded for no particular reason, and trying to get any exam board to admit that they have made a mistake is like trying to get blood from a stone.
    Obviously there will be students who will not get what they deserve this year, and the way Ofqual have gone about things is not helping. But let’s not pretend that the way things normally go is perfect either.

That happened in my school in English Lit 'O' level many years ago. Nothing much changes.

A lot of 'A' students who went on to get an A at A Level got Bs, Cs and Ds. I got an A in the mock exam and was awarded a U in the real one. The entire school year was affected.

I was advised not to challenge it as it wasn't likely to be upgraded very much and a U didn't appear on the certificate. I didn't really care as I did science A levels anyway, so it remains a badge of honour more than anything.

Finally I have an explanation for why I got an E at O-Level English Lit! I sat it in 1983.
    1974 - good O level grades except for Eng Lit where I got a CSE. So I did science instead. 40 years later I did Eng Lang & Lit at the OU and got a First....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

1974 - good O level grades except for Eng Lit where I got a CSE. So I did science instead. 40 years later I did Eng Lang & Lit at the OU and got a First....
    English Lit is certainly one of the areas where I think older candidates would have an enormous advantage: how can a sixteen year old understand what Lear is going through for instance.
  • Options
    isam said:

There is a long and ignoble tradition of lightening black characters, see this thread:

https://twitter.com/blairsmus/status/1293670125946703874?s=09
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    isam said:

Wait until they realise that Ariana Grande isn't Latina or black!
  • Options
    Curious. If the UAE have agreed can Saudi be far behind?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1293922803419353088?s=20
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    David Frost has now joined House Of Lords - listed as Conservative Peer, not Crossbench even though he will hold role of National Security Adviser currently done by Mark Sedwill.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

There is a long and ignoble tradition of lightening black characters, see this thread:

What’s that to do with it, without being rude? Rita Ora is being slated for being Albanian and doing ‘black’ music/style. I can’t believe there is criticism of her for this! She can do what she wants
  • Options

Draw 2.08 Betfair

DYOR

Yes, I'm still optimistic about a result and would definitely be a buyer at evens if the forecasts are anywhere near accurate. They have however been pretty dreadful so far (all your interesting and insightful comments notwithstanding) and I wouldn't stake too much at a time. I'd also wait to see what effect if any the rain has on the pitch.

Pakistan have done ok so far and if they can squeeze out 300 or so runs in the first innings they will be in a strong position. They have however enjoyed the rub of the green today and a clatter of wickets seems possible any time.

• Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

My best Physics pun is to say ‘Watt is the unit of power”, wait for some of them to put their hands up, and then say “that was a statement, not a question”.

After the fourth or fifth repetition (in different lessons) most of them have got it.
    I always liked 'go to work on an erg', but I guess you've heard that un oeuf times.
  • Options
    Michael Matheson, Scottish Minister of Transport, commenting on yesterday’s train crash.

What I think we can assess, though, is that weather has had an impact.

No. Shit. Sherlock.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

What’s that to do with it, without being rude? Rita Ora is being slated for being Albanian and doing ‘black’ music/style. I can’t believe there is criticism of her for this! She can do what she wants
    No, and she never claims to be black, but the choice of the lighter skinned as more worthy of attention is a legitimate issue for black and Asian people.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,875
    ydoethur said:

Michael Matheson, Scottish Minister of Transport, commenting on yesterday’s train crash.

No. Shit. Sherlock.

In fairness, he was talking about the effect of changing climatic extremes on an often elderly infrastructure not designed to meet it.
  • Options

Do I read that right? As part of this has Israel stopped trying to annex the rest of the West Bank?

If so, that is very big news.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

In fairness, he was talking about the effect of changing climatic extremes on an often elderly infrastructure not designed to meet it.
    I think Mr Anderson’s Piano is going to become popular.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

You're just miffed the draw has shortened :D (Same boat, or should that be ark ?) btw.
    No, not really, Pulpy and I still think a result is likely. Anyway I accept my losses as part of the game. As I've tried to explain many times, what I really resent is lack of accountability in forecasting, as in life generally.
  • Options
    isam said:

@isam

Oh well, I must be "appropriating" White culture for wearing shirt and trousers (usually) and speaking da English :lol:
    Oh and not to mention my adoration for trains (Tube or otherwise) and Depeche Mode :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

No, and she never claims to be black, but the choice of the lighter skinned as more worthy of attention is a legitimate issue for black and Asian people.
    Mind you... 😳

https://twitter.com/oh_south_london/status/1293804987324272640?s=21
  • Options

isam said:

@isam

Oh well, I must be "appropriating" White culture for wearing shirt and trousers (usually) and speaking da English :lol:
    Oh and not to mention my adoration for trains (Tube or otherwise) and Depeche Mode :)
    I thought the goal was for race/colour etc to be a non issue. It seems to be becoming more of one, particularly in the arts.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

A professional physicist, and an ammeter comedian.
  • Options
    Interesting, while we're behind many EU states on accepting asylum seekers, we're ahead of all of them when it comes to resettling them:

https://twitter.com/teddy_wilkin/status/1293927606216200193?s=20
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

Er, the reference goes over my head?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

Sure, but verified by whom? And why aren't the details readily available on their sites? That's a requirement that applies to just about everyone in a forecasting business. Why not weather forecasters?

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/what/accuracy-and-trust/comparing-forecast-accuracy

Lol! Yes, I do like a moan but I think they give me plenty of ammo. I'm more used to checking the records of racing tipsters and investment advisers and don't generally find I have to look far to see readily comprehensible results. The onus shouldn't be entirely on the customer to 'go look for it'. The weather forecasters do a pretty poor job in this respect.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_of_Brander_stone_signals
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Do I read that right? As part of this has Israel stopped trying to annex the rest of the West Bank?

If so, that is very big news.
    If that's what Trump's "Vision for Peace" means.

Quite a few commenting it's a "big deal"

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/status/1293924976312168449?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,388

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

http://acronymsandslang.com/definition/4700379/TAPS-meaning.html#:~:text=Q:-,A:,with word TAPS in term.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    300? Golly, that's some level of infection for one factory.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1293930013901889539?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Ruth Davidson got a good going over yesterday after her dumb remarks, she looked like she was sooking a bag of lemons.

“I am not sure that loyalty to colleagues is a strong suit for Ruth Davidson,” Ms Sturgeon remarked, wryly – a comment that went down well on the SNP benches.Ms Sturgeon attacked Ms Davidson for accepting a seat in the House of Lords.

“In just a few months I will submit myself and my government to the verdict of the Scottish people in an election,” the first minister said. “That is the ultimate accountability for our record and our leadership. As we do that, Ruth Davidson will be pulling on her ermine and going to the unelected House of Lords.”
  • Options

I used to work for Greencore Kiveton. I can believe...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

Carnyx, any chance to take words out of context as long as they can chip in an SNPBAD at the end. Probably upset that their golden girl got torn a new one at FM questions yesterday , so bad it left the mooth speechless which is a first.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

when you planning to give us an awesome one then?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,501
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I'm a plant too. But I provide brilliance for long periods with the occasional bit of quietness.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,958

I used to work for Greencore Kiveton. I can believe...
    One of my best friends is a cleaner there. The lines sound like the worst places to work, apparently the quiche ovens can't be turned off though !
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I’m generous Malc, I never stop at one.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,907
    edited August 2020

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

Lol! Yes, I do like a moan but I think they give me plenty of ammo. I'm more used to checking the records of racing tipsters and investment advisers and don't generally find I have to look far to see readily comprehensible results. The onus shouldn't be entirely on the customer to 'go look for it'. The weather forecasters do a pretty poor job in this respect.
    How would you explain the accuracy or otherwise of a weather forecast to the 'punters'? It is very difficult.

If I issue a forecast of PROB50 of rain every day for Manchester and it rains 50% of the time, is that accurate, and more to the point, is it useful?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Really hoping we can get the site running properly today.

One positive about having the Vanilla comments system is that this "thread" has been able to continue. Vanilla is entirely separate from PB
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

One positive about having the Vanilla comments system is that this "thread" has been able to continue. Vanilla is entirely separate from PB

Mike - apologies if already stated - but have our email addresses/passwords been stolen?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

How would you explain the accuracy or otherwise of a weather forecast to the 'punters'? It is very difficult.

If I issue a forecast of PROB50 of rain every day for Manchester and it rains 50% of the time, is that accurate, and more to the point, is it useful?
    Oh 'difficulty' is a poor excuse. It can't be beyond the wit of man to devise something. Other forecasters in 'difficult' areas manage it, but even an occasional simple narrative would be an improvement on what we have at present. For example, today's forecasts for \Southampton from the BBC and Netweather were both wrong, plain and simple; a short note on tomorrow's site explaining how and why this happened would be good PR if nothing else.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Stocky said:

Mike - apologies if already stated - but have our email addresses/passwords been stolen?
    I'd guess no as the systems are separate. I don't think the PB server stores anything about Vanilla logins.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

No. Shit. Sherlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_of_Brander_stone_signals
    Thank you. I thought it was a reference to a piece of music called Mr Anderson's Pavane Piano!

But yes, that sort of sensor may well become more necessary.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

Oh 'difficulty' is a poor excuse. It can't be beyond the wit of man to devise something. Other forecasters in 'difficult' areas manage it, but even an occasional simple narrative would be an improvement on what we have at present. For example, today's forecasts for \Southampton from the BBC and Netweather were both wrong, plain and simple; a short note on tomorrow's site explaining how and why this happened would be good PR if nothing else.
    Were they wrong though? The model output had a high probability of localised heavy showers and thunderstorms across the S of England. The probability of the cricket ground being hit by rain might well have been 40%.

The Met Office local forecast shows a graphic but also a rainfall probability. What did it say?

PS More (light) rain is heading for Southampton, but Andover is about to get absolutely hammered.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Nigelb said:

Now you've done it.

Were they wrong though? The model output had a high probability of localised heavy showers and thunderstorms across the S of England. The probability of the cricket ground being hit by rain might well have been 40%.

The Met Office local forecast shows a graphic but also a rainfall probability. What did it say?

PS More (light) rain is coming
    Quite so. I also use the rainfall radar and forecast rainfall map (ie in contours) on the MO site to judge what's coming our way in an houyr or two, adjusting crudely7 mentally for high ground and our local rainfall shadow effect, and to get a feel of the 'patchiness' of the showers in space - a useful sense of how likely we might be to get some rain, and what i tis like if we do.

Edit: if the showers are scattered I don't take the exact forecast locations too seriouslyt - just use their size as an idea of how likely we might be to get some.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TWO ANECDOTES:

Your welcome.

Taps eh?

I’m generous Malc, I never stop at one.
    You are known for your plurality for sure
  • Options

That will mess up the numbers for a while
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    I hope they are recalling the sandwiches...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Quite so. I also use the rainfall radar and forecast rainfall map (ie in contours) on the MO site to judge what's coming our way in an houyr or two, adjusting crudely7 mentally for high ground and our local rainfall shadow effect, and to get a feel of the 'patchiness' of the showers in space - a useful sense of how likely we might be to get some rain, and what i tis like if we do.

Edit: if the showers are scattered I don't take the exact forecast locations too seriouslyt - just use their size as an idea of how likely we might be to get some.

Indeed. It almost takes the fun out of going for a walk or a bike ride. :)
  • Options
    You sound like me when one of my hot tips has run like a donkey!

I'm not being naive or unreasonable about this and I'm certainly not looking just at what happened at the cricket ground. The forecasts in question were for Southampton and obviously some parts would be more affected than others. Normally I wouldn't take as much note as I did today in forecasts but curiously the BBC Site and Netweather were giving flatly contradictory impressions so I thought I'd keep tabs on them. It was interesting and instructive and to be honest I've learned a lot.

But if I were a forecaster in any field and I was as wrong as they (both) were today I'd want my customers/readers/investors to hear something from me about it. I wouldn't want anyone suspecting I just didn't care.

PS It is now pissing down. Netweather predicted no rain today, until it became obvious to a blind man that was wrong.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Indeed. It almost takes the fun out of going for a walk or a bike ride. :)
    But it rains so often here in Scotland anyway that it doesn't matter for walkies, and I don't have a bike so don't come home with a median dorsal stripe proceeding north from my buttock cleft. It's more for when working in the garden or (as now) painting the new shed that I need to know with some certainty/probability.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

One day, surely? :p
  • Options
    Internet is being interrupted by lightning so currently tethering my phone.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Not if they all end up in hospital , ICU etc , but I have removed my foot from my mouth regardless.
  • Options

I thought you did that with horses
  • Options

I hope they are recalling the sandwiches...

Be some good bargains no doubt
  • Options
    isam said:

Apropos of not much, but Kim Mazelle's Was That All It Was? (Def Mix) is one of the best vocal house records of all time.

That Sasha & John Digweed chose it to close the second CD on the classic original Renaissance album says a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyZkFUH0ttg
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Another shit food processing plant.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Not if they all end up in hospital , ICU etc , but I have removed my foot from my mouth regardless.
    Very true. I do often wonder what fraction of the cases are localised outbreaks rather than randomly distributed around the country.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Seems to like these types of enclosed spaces , plenty heat , moisture , packed with people , etc.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,757

I saw that 'hello world' is up.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Seems to like these types of enclosed spaces , plenty heat , moisture , packed with people , etc.
    I wonder what proportion of outbreaks have been triggered at pigsty processing plants that produce absolutely shite food that nobody should be eating?

I'd venture that figure will be rather high.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I thought you did that with horses
    Well you do, it's also the name given to using your phone as a hotspot for your computer.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Very true. I do often wonder what fraction of the cases are localised outbreaks rather than randomly distributed around the country.

Mostly local. Localised outbreaks account for a massive proportion of all cases nationally.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,657
    This isn't COVID
    This is M&S COVID
  • Options
    Radar looks like we might get some more play at the Rose Bowl, just a couple of tiny showers behind the main squall and they might fizzle out by the time they cross the Solent.
This discussion has been closed.