Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Dawn's story seems to be falling apart.

I'm glad she's not in the Shadow Cabinet anymore.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1292419998854651904?s=20

Why would Dawn Butler only release a short excerpt of "the whole incident"? Reports are it was 8 minutes.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1292496308910137346?s=20

Some on Twitter claim the driver (Butler was the passenger) was not black (do the Met racially profile passengers?) and the car was registered outside the area (some people register cars in lower crime post codes to reduce premiums).

I hope the Met release any footage they have.

I missed the memo that Hackney is now for local cars only!

Surely most vehicles moving in any London borough are registered outside the borough all the time?
    The police entered the reg incorrectly and the result came back as "Yorkshire" - so they stopped the car to see if that was the case. Why did Butler only upload 1m of an 8m video?
    Butler doesnt have any powers over the population so I dont really mind what she does or her motives for doing so, although hope she never gets a senior position in a major party.

If the police can find time to stop cars simply for being out of town, why can they not find time to investigate serious crimes such as thefts and assaults? I do care what the police do, and it is bizarre behaviour to prioritise stopping cars for being from Yorkshire. Perhaps that was the best they could come up with as a justification.
    Alternatively, they may have information on criminals coming from Yorkshire into London. Or stolen cars from Yorkshire being sold in London. And so on and so forth.

Why is this not reported on more then? Hardly seems a good use of Police time and don't the Police most of the time say theft is basically pointless to investigate nowadays?
    Make your bloody mind up. You just demanded that the police should "investigate serious crimes like thefts", then, when I pointed out that that may be the exact reason they stopped this car - thefts - you said "theft is basically pointless to investigate".

You're an idiot. With all due respect.
    As a note he prefers the term cum stained oik just saying
    How's it going mate?
    Not bad thanks just a little tongue in cheek correction for lady G )
  • Options

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1292566267304579073

At what point to we stop paying teachers?

At what point do you want us to stop even trying to set work?

I would much rather go back to normal. The proposal makes it about twice as hard to teach as you have to prepare two sets of lessons in detail. I’ve been doing this long enough that I’ve got a full set of normal lesson plans, but setting remote lessons means I have to start again from scratch.

I am also someone who has just finished a three year course of cancer treatment and who was out of action for most of November having picked up pneumonia from somewhere, almost certainly school.

If the risk is low enough then I’m more than happy to go back. After all, if I do die from it you won’t have to pay me any more.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Slightly off topic. but last week I took my older daughter and her best friend on a spontaneous road trip holiday across Eastern England (as Europe looks dangerously quarantinable). We meant to go for two or three days in the end we did six, as it was such fun and the weather was so grand.

We went from Osea Island (Essex coast) to Maldon, through Suffolk to Dedham and Lavenham (OMG!) then on to Bury St Edmunds and we finished in Cambridge.

Without exaggeration it was sublime. East Anglia is, in parts, quite stunning. It is hard to think of any region of the world which combines rural beauty (the Stour!) with rich history, with remarkable architecture, in such a small space. Maybe Tuscany? But the food is less varied in Tuscany. We got great curries AND tapas.

It was a delight and a revelation.

I did wonder if it was just a one-off but the evening I returned I got an email from an old friend who had just coincidentally spent a week in north Norfolk, "swimming with seals!". She is normally a Provence or Tobago kind of girl but she said it was maybe the best holiday she'd ever had. And she used the same word: sublime.

I wonder if one of the upsides of Covid will be the discovery that our own country, Great Britain, for all its many faults and problems, is also incredibly fascinating, storied and beautiful.

Neither you nor your friend ever got to interact with any of the locals then.
    lol!

We did. And they were very friendly. My favourite was the Chinese Uber driver in Cambridge, who said business was "finally picking up". I fear Cambridge has suffered badly.

The holiday ended with a perfect moment: we walked to the Orchard Tea Rooms on Grantchester Meadows and I watched THE cricket as the kids had cream teas, in the sun. And I drank cold Suffolk beer.

Ahhh. Never to be forgotten.
    Cambridge is beautiful. Chelsea buns from Fitzbillies?

I had a flat in Peterborough and worked in the Fens and West Norfolk. It was the early 1980s and I suspect Fenfolk are more enlightened these days.
    Cambridge is beyond beautiful. It is Venice with a purpose. It is the loveliest small city on earth, and with a mind-boggling richness of culture and history. The kids in my care got bored of me saying "this is famous" and "that is famous" but in each case I was right. Every thing I pointed at was world famous. Right down to the Eagle Pub.
    Ahhhh... the Eagle and the next door Baron of Beef.

In the Baron, Tolkein and CS Lewis would read each other bits from their books as they were writing them.
    Wrong loveliest small city on earth. And wrong Eagle (and Child).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inklings
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    LadyG said:

Slightly off topic. but last week I took my older daughter and her best friend on a spontaneous road trip holiday across Eastern England (as Europe looks dangerously quarantinable). We meant to go for two or three days in the end we did six, as it was such fun and the weather was so grand.

We went from Osea Island (Essex coast) to Maldon, through Suffolk to Dedham and Lavenham (OMG!) then on to Bury St Edmunds and we finished in Cambridge.

Without exaggeration it was sublime. East Anglia is, in parts, quite stunning. It is hard to think of any region of the world which combines rural beauty (the Stour!) with rich history, with remarkable architecture, in such a small space. Maybe Tuscany? But the food is less varied in Tuscany. We got great curries AND tapas.

It was a delight and a revelation.

I did wonder if it was just a one-off but the evening I returned I got an email from an old friend who had just coincidentally spent a week in north Norfolk, "swimming with seals!". She is normally a Provence or Tobago kind of girl but she said it was maybe the best holiday she'd ever had. And she used the same word: sublime.

I wonder if one of the upsides of Covid will be the discovery that our own country, Great Britain, for all its many faults and problems, is also incredibly fascinating, storied and beautiful.

It's a shame you are not a travel journalist who could get the Sunday Times (for example) to commission you to write about it...
This discussion has been closed.