Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour seems to have forgotten how to ‘do’ Opposition

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

I'm unclear who you are laughing at here. Them for making the demand, or us for being faced with the demand? Either way, I still don't get the joke.

Not because it is a serious issue - never let that get in the way of a good laugh - but what is LoLworthy about them either making an unreasonable demand, or a reasonable one, and us either not complying with an unreasonable one or complying with a reasonable one?
    Turkey made a similar demand, give us cash or we let syrians flood over the borders. The people supporting the french stance now were the same ones decrying turkey for doing it.
    You’re making things up again. You have a habit of doing this.
    The eu ended up paying turkey a couple of billions the fact you dont remember it being in the news doesnt make it false it just means you are joe biden
    I mean you’re making up that “the same people supporting the french stance now were the same ones decrying turkey for doing it”.

It’s the usual bollocks from you.
    No people like scott xp and other remainers were fulminating about turkey holding the eu at ransom at the time go back to the 2016 threads and look
    Nah we weren’t.
    whatever dude carry on believing in never never land
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

I'm unclear who you are laughing at here. Them for making the demand, or us for being faced with the demand? Either way, I still don't get the joke.

Not because it is a serious issue - never let that get in the way of a good laugh - but what is LoLworthy about them either making an unreasonable demand, or a reasonable one, and us either not complying with an unreasonable one or complying with a reasonable one?
    Turkey made a similar demand, give us cash or we let syrians flood over the borders. The people supporting the french stance now were the same ones decrying turkey for doing it.
    The eu ended up paying turkey a couple of billions the fact you dont remember it being in the news doesnt make it false it just means you are joe biden
    I mean you’re making up that “the same people supporting the french stance now were the same ones decrying turkey for doing it”.

No people like scott xp and other remainers were fulminating about turkey holding the eu at ransom at the time go back to the 2016 threads and look
    Nah we weren’t.
    You can keep making things up if you want, that’s on you.
  • Options

twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1292212148794523655?s=09

Makes sense. The polls are not really relevant right now.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    edited August 2020

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

Nah we weren’t.
    You can keep making things up if you want, that’s on you.
    You are really suggesting many on here said the eu should give into Turkeys demands? Yes right of course they were
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LadyG said:

I’m watching the highlights of England v Pakistan and England are now 117-5. I assume I might as well stop here, or do we end up getting close?

Keep watching
    One of the best endings to a Test match I have seen in a long time.

Test cricket is suddenly very appealing. The lack of crowd noise is a damn shame, but it's not crucial (unlike football, where the silence makes the sport unwatchable). Test cricket was always quieter and more cerebral.

And the sheer length of a Test match/series is a joyful maze in which you can lose yourself for days, a very welcome distraction during the Wuhan Death

And it's not just me feeling this. Apparently the viewing figures for Sky's broadcast of the latest England-Windies series were the best they've ever had. People are bored and want a massive and endless distraction.

Test cricket is perfect for this. Pure and prolonged escapism. Like a major series of Fantasy novels. The Hunger Games with bat and willow. Game of Thrones with spinners and googlies. Test cricket may be about to enjoy an unlikely revival

There's no better sport for building a narrative, for individuals and teams, for raising such tension in the teams as it all comes down to a few moments. I hope it is revived. I hope Ireland and Afganistan get a lot more games too.

Plus you can watch it while you're at work as there's gaps every few seconds.
    That was pretty special.
  • Options

kle4 said:

There really is only one solution for these boats. We need to eliminate the pull factor. If people wish to seek asylum in the UK, our processing centres should be in Africa and probably India or similar. People would apply there. Easier for genuine seekers of asylum to get there.

I've had a similar idea that over-crowding in British prisons should be solved by building prisons in Africa and shipping the criminals out there.

Would also be a boost to the local economies and so could be done via the foreign aid budget.
    Moralities aside, if this were a serious suggestion do you think even cash strapped nations will be clamouring for the chance to host such prisons?
    I would say you would get a queue round the block at the Home Office, of ambassadors.

Real billions of pounds on a on-going basis? To lock up some white people*?

*Yes, I know.
    Indeed.

I'd throw in British citizenship to employees after a length of time.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377

No doubt you'd be saying that if Labour were averaging a lead of circa 8% right now.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    humbugger said:

No doubt you'd be saying that if Labour were averaging a lead of circa 8% right now.
    Even if Labour was leading by 8%, what difference would it make? The Government has a 80 seat majority and 4 years to go.

Fortnightly is enough.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    Do you still believe that she is just “responding to requests for comment”?

Or is she seeking revenge via media?
    Do you think it’s okay to promise to get back to a sexual assault complainant, and then not doing so?

Really?
    No, I don't. And I find it slightly offensive that you imply that it is.

• Options

NHS England Cases - scaled to 100K popluation -

Nice trend in Blackburn over the last 3 days

:naughty:
  • Options

Charles said:

justin124 said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Rexel56 said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

The first major test of Labour as an opposition seems likely to hit on Thursday.

A train wreck complete with a jumbo crash is incoming. It was foreseeable and happened because the government are completely useless, and overlooked obviously preferable alternatives.

If Kate Green can get a handle on that...

The injustice on Thursday will be on an individual level, overall the marks will be the same as previous years, despite missing a term of work. It all depends on how well teachers have predicted and ranked their candidates.

Going with the teachers predictions may have inflated grades, but also would have filled the Universities for the autumn, helping their finances as well as minimising NEETS. Not a perfect solution but a pragmatic one.

Of course, if Gove and Cummings hadn't abolished AS levels, and modular exams a few years back, there would have been a much more solid and objective base for A level results...
    The Universities will fill their places, from the top down... Oxbridge already saying they will lower entry requirements, dressed up as helping pupils from poorer areas... it’ll be the ex-polys and HE colleges without research that will really struggle... of course, a student from England doesn’t pay what a student from China would have done...

Sixth forms will use teacher grades when deciding entries, suspect Colleges will too...

The big losers will be the Tabatha and the Tarquins who were expecting a full set of nines or A*s, their parents having spent £££££££ school and/or tuition fees... denied by the wicked algorithm, Daddy and the School Headmaster have already instructed lawyers according to the Times this morning...
    But that’s the point. If small cohorts are exempted from the algorithm, private schools will get what they predicted.

It’s bright children in weaker state schools who will be punished by this system. Like, for example, the children of voters in the so called Red Wall.
    I doubt that many private schools have cohorts of less than 5. Many will be in the 5-15 bucket and most in the 15+ bucket
    Five per subject, Charles. Not five in total.
    I was at a well known and well funded private school. Albeit one with 260 in a year.

My smallest class size was 8 (theology). Politics was 12 and history 16.

How many private schools really have A level cohorts of less than 5 for an individual subject? I doubt many - the economics just don’t stack up - and in any event it will be a very small number of pupils.

From recollection our smallest subjects were Japanese (2), Russian (3) and Mandarin (4). In each case we teamed up with the local girls’ school which lifted Russian and Mandarin to the 5-15 bucket
    In my Boys' Grammar School at the beginning of the 1970s some A Level classes were very small. French had 9 pupils - German 3 - Music 2.
    From memory I think we have two classes below 5, though it might be three.
    It’s been clear from all the posts on here that largest class sizes are in top flight public schools... what conclusions to draw from that 😉
    According to this here old copy of the Independent Schools Yearbook, Eton has 16 classics teachers. Sixteen!
    Sure... what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Do you think it’s okay to promise to get back to a sexual assault complainant, and then not doing so?

Really?

Well your only comment on the allegation was to continue your previous line of comment - implying that the alleged victim has an agenda by speaking to the media. A classic character assassination when it comes to this kind of thing.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Charles said:

{smiles nicely while hammering nails into a baseball bat}

You what?
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

If you are promised a response in a week and you don't get one in after chasing up 3 months later I can see why you may head elsewhere
    Well, I don't know what "evidence from the time" is, but it's an odd phrase so I suspect it's her contemporaneous notes. So essentially it remains word against word.

In any event that's not my point. He told her to go to the police. The police are investigating.

These continuous media stories are an attempt to damage the Chief Whip. They strike me as politically motivated.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Really?

That is exactly what your previous reply looks like to more than 1 poster on here.
  • Options
    Charles said:

eek said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

If you are promised a response in a week and you don't get one in after chasing up 3 months later I can see why you may head elsewhere
    Well, I don't know what "evidence from the time" is, but it's an odd phrase so I suspect it's her contemporaneous notes. So essentially it remains word against word.

In any event that's not my point. He told her to go to the police. The police are investigating.

These continuous media stories are an attempt to damage the Chief Whip. They strike me as politically motivated.
    If what the Sunday Times claims is actually what happened, then the Chief Whip deserves to be damaged. It’s just utter incompetence.

His position as “Chief Whip” is irrelevant, and so is his party.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,635
    "IAN BIRRELL: Why Sweden, pilloried by the whole world for refusing to lock down - with schools staying open and no face mask laws - may be having the last laugh as experts say Stockholm is close to achieving herd immunity"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8607731/Why-Sweden-pilloried-world-refusing-lock-having-laugh.html
  • Options

Charles said:

You what?
    But the five day trend in Middlesbrough is worrying.
  • Options

It is, but if the alleged behaviour of the Chief Whip is true, it paints him in a pretty damn incompetent light.
    If is the word here and as it is subject to a criminal investigation I do not think it is wise to play politics in this case
    Who’s playing politics? This is not a Labour vs Tory debate. This is a simple discussion over whether promising to get back to someone about a sexual assault allegation, and then not, is incompetent or totally fine.

It would be incompetence if it was a Labour figure, and it would be incompetence if it was a non-political figure.

Of course Conservative “fans” will defend the alleged behaviour, simply because the man happens to be a part of the HMG.
    I defend nobody but it is important the law takes it's course and once the police have made a decision other issues will follow. And I would say the same if it was a labour politician
    You’re misunderstanding. Whether or not the rape allegation is true is neither here nor there. It makes no difference to whether promising to get back to a sexual assault complainant, and then “forgetting to” is fine or not.

It obviously isn’t fine. He should either have not promised anything, or got back to her telling her to go through X channel.
    I haven't been paying much attention to this but IIRC didn't the Chief Whip initially say the allegations brought to him were about bullying, not the sexual assualt allegation?
    I don’t know. To be honest though It’s still pretty incompetent to promise to get back to somebody over workplace bullying, and then not.
    Well, probably worth knowing before getting all righteous about what did or did not happen.
    We’re discussing the Sunday Times report, which alleges they have evidence of the allegation.
    Alleges evidence of allegations and this is serious journalism
    The Sunday Times says they have evidence that the Chief Whip promised to get back to the complainant and then didn’t, even when chased.

You guys are something else. If the article is true, the Chief Whip has acted in a way that is seriously incompetent. It really is terrible.

You Conservative “fans” will literally defend or sweep away the indefensible. It’s just as bad as the Corbynistas.
    What do you think the "evidence from the time" of a private meeting is?

And what weight would a good lawyer give them in forming a judgement?
  • Options
    Charles said:

It is, but if the alleged behaviour of the Chief Whip is true, it paints him in a pretty damn incompetent light.
    If is the word here and as it is subject to a criminal investigation I do not think it is wise to play politics in this case
    Who’s playing politics? This is not a Labour vs Tory debate. This is a simple discussion over whether promising to get back to someone about a sexual assault allegation, and then not, is incompetent or totally fine.

It would be incompetence if it was a Labour figure, and it would be incompetence if it was a non-political figure.

Of course Conservative “fans” will defend the alleged behaviour, simply because the man happens to be a part of the HMG.
    I defend nobody but it is important the law takes it's course and once the police have made a decision other issues will follow. And I would say the same if it was a labour politician
    You’re misunderstanding. Whether or not the rape allegation is true is neither here nor there. It makes no difference to whether promising to get back to a sexual assault complainant, and then “forgetting to” is fine or not.

It obviously isn’t fine. He should either have not promised anything, or got back to her telling her to go through X channel.
    I haven't been paying much attention to this but IIRC didn't the Chief Whip initially say the allegations brought to him were about bullying, not the sexual assualt allegation?
    I don’t know. To be honest though It’s still pretty incompetent to promise to get back to somebody over workplace bullying, and then not.
    Well, probably worth knowing before getting all righteous about what did or did not happen.
    We’re discussing the Sunday Times report, which alleges they have evidence of the allegation.
    Alleges evidence of allegations and this is serious journalism
    The Sunday Times says they have evidence that the Chief Whip promised to get back to the complainant and then didn’t, even when chased.

You guys are something else. If the article is true, the Chief Whip has acted in a way that is seriously incompetent. It really is terrible.

You Conservative “fans” will literally defend or sweep away the indefensible. It’s just as bad as the Corbynistas.
    What do you think the "evidence from the time" of a private meeting is?

And what weight would a good lawyer give them in forming a judgement?
    I haven’t made any judgement on whether its true or not, I’ve merely been saying that if it is true, then the Chief Whip has serious questions to answer.

I notice that the Chief Whip’s statement does not deny the allegations.

I would say the same thing if this was the Shadow Chief Whip.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,635
    LadyG said:

I’m watching the highlights of England v Pakistan and England are now 117-5. I assume I might as well stop here, or do we end up getting close?

Keep watching

Test cricket is suddenly very appealing. The lack of crowd noise is a damn shame, but it's not crucial (unlike football, where the silence makes the sport unwatchable). Test cricket was always quieter and more cerebral.

And the sheer length of a Test match/series is a joyful maze in which you can lose yourself for days, a very welcome distraction during the Wuhan Death

And it's not just me feeling this. Apparently the viewing figures for Sky's broadcast of the latest England-Windies series were the best they've ever had. People are bored and want a massive and endless distraction.

Test cricket is perfect for this. Pure and prolonged escapism. Like a major series of Fantasy novels. The Hunger Games with bat and willow. Game of Thrones with spinners and googlies. Test cricket may be about to enjoy an unlikely revival

For years we were told that Test cricket was on its last legs. Nice to see this revival.
  • Options

Charles said:

You what?
    But the five day trend in Middlesbrough is worrying.
    “Ford carried on counting quietly. This is about the most aggressive thing you can do to a computer, the equivalent of going up to a human being and saying "Blood...blood...blood...blood...”
  • Options
    Is the trend that more areas are getting increased cases or are the number of places needing to lockdown staying about the same
  • Options

Is the trend that more areas are getting increased cases or are the number of places needing to lockdown staying about the same

We would need to know tests per area to be able to answer that.

But positive cases continue to be less than 1% of tests.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

More areas are reporting increased numbers of cases.

The question is why - more surveillance testing, or more cases (absolute)?

My guess is a mixture of the two.

The whole history of the epidemic -

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Really?

Well your only comment on the allegation was to continue your previous line of comment - implying that the alleged victim has an agenda by speaking to the media. A classic character assassination when it comes to this kind of thing.
    Well, it's in the hands of the police to investigate an alleged crime.

The media attacks on the chief whip are designed to cause political damage. They are supported by comments from the complainant.

She is either a naive innocent who has no idea what she is doing or she is a competent professional who knows exactly what she is doing.

I will pay her the respect of assuming the second until proven otherwise.
  • Options

Charles said:

You what?
    Hence the "naughty" emoji...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

You what?
    Any more of that, and you go on The List.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

You what?
    Peter Lilley's List?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

You what?
    Peter Lilley's List?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YMVPXmaKds
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,631
    edited August 2020

I still don't think Boris Johnson has quite understood we're not in an election campaign anymore

Children suffer more by staying at home?

How would he know?
  • Options

There really is only one solution for these boats. We need to eliminate the pull factor. If people wish to seek asylum in the UK, our processing centres should be in Africa and probably India or similar. People would apply there. Easier for genuine seekers of asylum to get there.

I've had a similar idea that over-crowding in British prisons should be solved by building prisons in Africa and shipping the criminals out there.

Would also be a boost to the local economies and so could be done via the the foreign aid budget.
    I have long advocated the Falklands as ideal for a penal colony. Why not add asylum seeker assessment centre too?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LadyG said:

Keep watching

There's no better sport for building a narrative, for individuals and teams, for raising such tension in the teams as it all comes down to a few moments. I hope it is revived. I hope Ireland and Afganistan get a lot more games too.

Plus you can watch it while you're at work as there's gaps every few seconds.
    Particularly if your work involves watching paint dry.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Would also be a boost to the local economies and so could be done via the the foreign aid budget.
    I have long advocated the Falklands as ideal for a penal colony. Why not add asylum seeker assessment centre too?
    Why so liberal? What's wrong with South Georgia?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

humbugger said:

Even if Labour was leading by 8%, what difference would it make? The Government has a 80 seat majority and 4 years to go.

Fortnightly is enough.
    Less than 3 years and 9 months now - unless FTPA is repealed!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I suspect the move to two weekly Opinium polls might be related to the Summer Holiday period.
  • Options
    Off Topic

Since OGH's tip yesterday, Gretch's odds of becoming Biden;s VP nominee have more than halved from 9/1 to 4/1 with some bookies.
    Sounds as if there may be no smoke without fire.
  • Options
    Very, very quiet on PB yesterday, especially bearing in mind there are now less than 3 months to go before the U.S. POTUS elections.
    I know it's mid holiday season, but PB does seem to have lost a number of "old-time" posters recently ... a real shame if that indeed proves to be the case.
  • Options
    At least she refrained from spluttering out "Jeremy Thorpe"!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    eek said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Really?

That is exactly what your previous reply looks like to more than 1 poster on here.
    Why did she go via the Chief Whip?

Is it possible that whomever it might be could claim that they might not get a fair trial....if it were to come to that?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Really?

Well, it's in the hands of the police to investigate an alleged crime.

The media attacks on the chief whip are designed to cause political damage. They are supported by comments from the complainant.

She is either a naive innocent who has no idea what she is doing or she is a competent professional who knows exactly what she is doing.

I will pay her the respect of assuming the second until proven otherwise.
    She has my sympathies as a victim
This discussion has been closed.