Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Compulsory face mask wearing – the Brexit divide

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT and off topic (so apologies)

It was asked why China has suddenly decided to come out all nasty to the world. I think the answer is that it has placed its bets on a Biden win in November and takes the view that, if he wins, Biden will be essentially Obama Mark 2, namely will want to avoid conflict and so will bend over backwards to do anything to calm China down. So China is probably thinking that the more it sabre rattles, the more Biden (or his successor) will look to give give aways.

So, what you're saying is that if Trump wins, China will suddenly back down?

The reality is that the US is weaker now than it has been for a long time, and has a President who is susceptible to flattery and is simultaneously scared of committing military force. Obama, at least, was willing to sail a US carrier group through the Formosa strait - while Trump has been much lower key, preferring to send the occasional missile cruiser, but never something as significant as a carrier group.

China has grown in confidence and grown in aggressiveness during the Trump Presidency: to deny that is to deny that the world is round. To claim that it is due to fear of a Biden Presidency, given their increased aggression long predates Trump's unpopularity, is simply delusional.
    Also this: China has built a significant advantage in missiles. They could maybe wipe out a US carrier group that got too close

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/china-army/
    To be fair, China has had nuclear weapons for more 60 years - so they have always had the ability to wipe out a US carrier group. However, what they don't have is the ability to do it without provoking WW3.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

LadyG said:

It says, in the original, that "common characteristics of US white people, most of the time" are -

Self reliance
    Planning for the future
    Nuclear families
    The avoidance of conflict
    Politeness
    Hard work
    Working before playing
    Respect for authority
    Giving kids their own rooms, so they can be independent
    Punctuality
    Objective and rational thinking
    Protection of property
    Belief in cause and effect

That's what is says "characterises most American white people"

I'd like to know Katz' sources for this, or if she just made it up. I'm certainly not giving a blanket agreement to all of it, or necessarily any of it. My issue is with you- and the original tweeter- freaking out over things which don't really seem particularly outlandish.

Is it really that shocking. for example, to claim that the protestant work ethic a) is culturally dominant in the US and b) primarily originated with white settlers? Is it fair to characterise that claim as saying that only white people work hard?

I would associate that value list far more with Korean society than the US.

Okay? The article is about how traits associated with white culture have become treated as the default or norm in the US as a result of long-standing white dominance of US institutions. If you're saying that a lot of very similar traits are also treated as the default in Korea because they're also present in Korean culture then I don't really see how that's relevant.
    It suggests that the list isn’t helpful as distinguishing white culture vs Korean culture
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Alistair said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

Just a comment on the Smithsonian fracas. Try reading Kate Fox 'Watching the English'. In this book she treats English culture to a bit of simple anthropology, as if they are an exotic tribe being observed. It's very popular, and funny too. The Smithsonian is doing a similar thing, though it is much more stereotyped and sharp, so uncomfortable. It reads more like a critical outsider might see a white culture.

The PB critics have included these broad criticisms:

The picture is white supremacist by attributing a range of self evident good qualities to a white culture only.

The picture is racist and anti-white by attributing a rage of doubtful qualities to a white culture.

The picture is racist and anti non-white because it implies every non white lacks a range of self evident good qualities.

It's woke nonsense gone mad.

I doubt if all these can be true. Personally I feel stereotyped by it, which is exactly I think what happens more to other groups than to whites. So I think it is of value.

I think the meaning of the graphic is that those traits are generally perceived to be associated with whiteness. So despite Nigerians being the most highly qualified of US immigrants, science is associated with whiteness.
    It says white people "avoid conflict".

So white people are peaceful. "Whiteness is peace".

Yes, it is literally describing the social construct of whiteness.

Race is a social construct. This mind-blowingly woke idea was arrived at in the mid 1940s.
    No, it is saying these ARE characteristics of white people

"While different individuals might not practice or accept all of these traits, they are common characteristics of most U.S. White people most of the time"

http://www.cascadia.edu/discover/about/diversity/documents/Some Aspects and Assumptions of White Culture in the United States.pdf
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Isn't it just the equivalent of a whipped vote? Hard to see how that is fascist.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    RobD said:

Isn't it just the equivalent of a whipped vote? Hard to see how that is fascist.

Electing the committee chair is explicitly not a whipped vote. That's why he did it.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited July 2020
    I always thought that the Govt explicitly wasn’t supposed to be involved in committee selections*? How can votes on composition/chairmanship be subject to whipping? Or is there something different about this particular committee?

*i have some memory years ago of a big fuss when the Blair govt tried to rig the committees.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Electing the committee chair is explicitly not a whipped vote. That's why he did it.
    I think it is amusing but many posters on this forum would expect the whip to be withdrawn in similar circumstances in any party
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    Nope he's an idiot as Julian now has zero reason to give the Government any benefit of the doubt
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Interesting. When I was put on the Treasury Select Committee, a rival to the favoured Labour chair asked for my support, and I said I'd consider it. The Chief Whip, Nick Brown, asked me in and pleaded with me to support the favoured candidate (which I eventually did). It wasn't strictly proper for him to have a view at all, but he certainly didn't threaten expulsion if I didn't do what he said. In fact I don't remember any examples of that threat being made to anyone.

Lewis is a cold warrior of the old school - I'd expect him to be stern on China. But he's also an independent mind, and the Government seems unkeen on those. Ironically, this restores the tradition (hitherto respected by both parties) that no one party has a majority on that committee.
  • Options

Interesting. When I was put on the Treasury Select Committee, a rival to the favoured Labour chair asked for my support, and I said I'd consider it. The Chief Whip, Nick Brown, asked me in and pleaded with me to support the favoured candidate (which I eventually did). It wasn't strictly proper for him to have a view at all, but he certainly didn't threaten expulsion if I didn't do what he said. In fact I don't remember any examples of that threat being made to anyone.

Lewis is a cold warrior of the old school - I'd expect him to be stern on China. But he's also an independent mind, and the Government seems unkeen on those. Ironically, this restores the tradition (hitherto respected by both parties) that no one party has a majority on that committee.
    There’s not some obscure rule that means that if he’s no longer subject to the Tory whip then he must be replaced?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Tory majority -2.

Slightly, but not entirely, facetious question. Do we think Johnson makes it to 2024 without losing his formal majority?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Tory majority -2.

Slightly, but not entirely, facetious question. Do we think Johnson makes it to 2024 without losing his formal majority?

Is that a new poll
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    The museum document is riddled with contradictions. At its core is the pseudo-intellectual claptrap commonly known as critical race theory. What I find disturbing is that it it is being propagated by a prominent cultural institution. The implied end product is more or less Apartheid.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    Phil said:

A lot of that “white culture” poster is specific to WASP culture, surely?

Yes, it looks to me as if some of it draws on Max Weber's 'The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism', a brilliant account of why capitalism emerged in the UK and later the USA as a consequence partly of religious beliefs, in particular Protestantism/Calvinism. That culture was, of course, specifically White, and it remains a very powerful culture, in new variants, in the USA. This does not preclude similar values being adopted elsewhere, for example in the Far East or South East Asia.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

England for the English! Cornwall for the Cornish!! Rutland for the Ruttish!!!

"Ruttles" shurely?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    eek said:

Nope he's an idiot as Julian now has zero reason to give the Government any benefit of the doubt
    Looks like total war between backbench MPs and Cummings from now on.

Only one side can survive now.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

Pro_Rata said:

Tory majority -2.

Is that a new poll
    A whip removal formally reduces the majority by 2, even if, in practice Lewis continues to caucus Tory.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Some fascinating US polling today. Rasmussen has Biden only three points up on Trump (47-44) which is a big swing to Trump from last week. As I can't access the crosstabs, the only nugget I have is Independents favour Biden by six this week compared with twelve last week.

Economist/YouGov has enormous crosstabs:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/hpupr0zhkl/econTabReport.pdf

Page 125 has the key numbers. Biden leads Trump 49-40 with a one point Trump lead among men (46-45) outbalanced by a 17 point Biden lead among women (52-35).

Trump leads 49-42 among White voters but Biden is up 46-40 in the Midwest and tied 45-45 in the South so an excellent poll for the Democrat challenger.

The CNBC/Change Research Poll crosstabs aren't very helpful:

https://9b1b5e59-cb8d-4d7b-8493-111f8aa90329.usrfiles.com/ugd/9b1b5e_cabe0094cdf847dc8a2f12309173b8dd.pdf

Biden leads 51-41. I did note 55% of the sample were women which looks a little high and would skew the numbers toward Biden based on the above.

If anyone can access the Rasmussen crosstabs they would be very interesting.

Rasmussen are of course known for overstaying the GOP. The other 4 polls released today all showed Biden leading by 8-10 pojnts
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500

eek said:

Are we sure this is Cummings? Could just be Johnson being a petulant toddler.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Tory majority -2.

Is that a new poll
    A whip removal formally reduces the majority by 2, even if, in practice Lewis continues to caucus Tory.
    I see what you mean

I do not think Boris will be in place in 2024 but the majority will be around 80 less the odd resignation
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

FPT and off topic (so apologies)

It was asked why China has suddenly decided to come out all nasty to the world. I think the answer is that it has placed its bets on a Biden win in November and takes the view that, if he wins, Biden will be essentially Obama Mark 2, namely will want to avoid conflict and so will bend over backwards to do anything to calm China down. So China is probably thinking that the more it sabre rattles, the more Biden (or his successor) will look to give give aways.

So, what you're saying is that if Trump wins, China will suddenly back down?

The reality is that the US is weaker now than it has been for a long time, and has a President who is susceptible to flattery and is simultaneously scared of committing military force. Obama, at least, was willing to sail a US carrier group through the Formosa strait - while Trump has been much lower key, preferring to send the occasional missile cruiser, but never something as significant as a carrier group.

China has grown in confidence and grown in aggressiveness during the Trump Presidency: to deny that is to deny that the world is round. To claim that it is due to fear of a Biden Presidency, given their increased aggression long predates Trump's unpopularity, is simply delusional.
    Also this: China has built a significant advantage in missiles. They could maybe wipe out a US carrier group that got too close

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/china-army/
    Soviets could have done that any day of the week. Surprised they did not?
    I read somewhere that the US Navy refuses to take part in wargaming with the other services because all simulations of an all-out war result in the entire surface fleet being sunk within the first 24 hours.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:
    I see the tweeter is the proud author of the following work -

THE VAST LEFT WING CONSPIRACY:
    The Untold Story of How Democratic Operatives, Eccentric Billionaires, Liberal Activists, and Assorted Celebrities Tried to Bring Down a President - and Why They'll Try Even Harder Next Time.
    What does who tweets something have to do with whether the thing tweeted is accurate or not? If it isn't, they are disreputable. If it is, then it doesn't matter whether they have views or interpretations others would not share, since we are not obliged to share the view or interpretation they hold. If their interpretation is suspect or incorrect, that's an entirely separate matter.
    Please see my reply 6.35 to Pagan.

Unless it's a "2+2=4" type assertion, you should always be cautious about accepting at face value things tweeted by dubious sources with an extremist agenda.

And especially so when - as here - it's a tweet from such a source copied onto here by a poster of similar ilk. When it comes to this think Tommy Lee Jones and Ashley Judd - Double Jeopardy.
    lol. The source is real. It's been tweeted by thousands of others

https://twitter.com/hrkbenowen/status/1283463753481297920?s=20

Here's the relevant literature from the museum

https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/whiteness

I even went through history and found you the original source, all the way back in 1990, and mad academic Judith H Katz

http://www.cascadia.edu/discover/about/diversity/documents/Some Aspects and Assumptions of White Culture in the United States.pdf

You can thank me later
    The headline states that the graphic depicts "Assumptions of Whiteness and White Culture in the USofA".

My guess is that it is predominantly white people who are making these assumptions, associating things which these people perceive as virtues, with their own whiteness.

I didn't get the impression that the author shares these assumptions, only that she observed the fact that white people, at least a majority of them, hold these views.
    No. Read the headline from the original source. The author believes what is plainly said:

"While different individuals might not practice or accept all of these traits, they are common characteristics of most U.S. White people most of the time."

Meanwhile on the infographic, see the greyed out text:

It says all these are "white traditions, attitudes and ways of life" which have been "internalized" by "people of color"
    I stand corrected.
    After a second, more thorough look at it, I tend to agree that the author, more or less, does share these assumptions, which does seem to bring her own work into disrepute.

I'm still struggling to identify what she has written as 'woke', though. It really seems to be the opposite of that.
    If by woke you mean good, then no, it isn't woke. But woke isn't a synonym for good, in my opinion.
    I tend to share your view that "woke" isn't a synonym for "morally good" or "logically correct", but I think that "anti-woke" is neither. I think that at the core of what some people like to call "woke", there is a progressive stance that constitutes one side of an argument and has its legitimation.

I think that sixty or eighty years ago, had the term "woke" been around at the time, people from the conservative side of the spectrum would have dismissed the views of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, and everyone who supported their views, as "woke".
    Many people of a conservative persuasion did do so, they just used other expressions back then. Societal progress is a real thing, and the "anti-wokes" of yesteryear are not always considered to have been on the 'right side' of history.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Phil said:

Yes, it looks to me as if some of it draws on Max Weber's 'The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism', a brilliant account of why capitalism emerged in the UK and later the USA as a consequence partly of religious beliefs, in particular Protestantism/Calvinism. That culture was, of course, specifically White, and it remains a very powerful culture, in new variants, in the USA. This does not preclude similar values being adopted elsewhere, for example in the Far East or South East Asia.
    Brilliant... if you ignore the evidence that plenty of other cultures discovered that freedom of thought combined with intellectualism and hard work produced results.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Its not rocket science. wearing masks must be compulsory.

In Switzerland, where everything is usually compulsory if it isn't illegal, it's apparently not a requirement to wear a mask (apart from public transport, which was only introduced on 1st July). Interesting.
    That's a very weird caricature, Andy. Switzerland is not in the least authoritarian in legislation. It's conformist, a different trait. It's entirely typical that they'll leave it to people to decide to wear masks and nearly everyone in the cities will.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Arsenal are very poor tonight

Having said that they have just equalised v Liverpool
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544

Phil said:

Brilliant... if you ignore the evidence that plenty of other cultures discovered that freedom of thought combined with intellectualism and hard work produced results.

Have you read it? Your comment is not particularly relevant to, nor does it refute, Weber's argument at all.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

The Untold Story of How Democratic Operatives, Eccentric Billionaires, Liberal Activists, and Assorted Celebrities Tried to Bring Down a President - and Why They'll Try Even Harder Next Time.
    What does who tweets something have to do with whether the thing tweeted is accurate or not? If it isn't, they are disreputable. If it is, then it doesn't matter whether they have views or interpretations others would not share, since we are not obliged to share the view or interpretation they hold. If their interpretation is suspect or incorrect, that's an entirely separate matter.

Unless it's a "2+2=4" type assertion, you should always be cautious about accepting at face value things tweeted by dubious sources with an extremist agenda.

And especially so when - as here - it's a tweet from such a source copied onto here by a poster of similar ilk. When it comes to this think Tommy Lee Jones and Ashley Judd - Double Jeopardy.

I even went through history and found you the original source, all the way back in 1990, and mad academic Judith H Katz

You can thank me later
    The headline states that the graphic depicts "Assumptions of Whiteness and White Culture in the USofA".

My guess is that it is predominantly white people who are making these assumptions, associating things which these people perceive as virtues, with their own whiteness.

I didn't get the impression that the author shares these assumptions, only that she observed the fact that white people, at least a majority of them, hold these views.
    No. Read the headline from the original source. The author believes what is plainly said:

"While different individuals might not practice or accept all of these traits, they are common characteristics of most U.S. White people most of the time."

It says all these are "white traditions, attitudes and ways of life" which have been "internalized" by "people of color"
    I stand corrected.
    After a second, more thorough look at it, I tend to agree that the author, more or less, does share these assumptions, which does seem to bring her own work into disrepute.

I'm still struggling to identify what she has written as 'woke', though. It really seems to be the opposite of that.
    If by woke you mean good, then no, it isn't woke. But woke isn't a synonym for good, in my opinion.
    I tend to share your view that "woke" isn't a synonym for "morally good" or "logically correct", but I think that "anti-woke" is neither. I think that at the core of what some people like to call "woke", there is a progressive stance that constitutes one side of an argument and has its legitimation.

I think that sixty or eighty years ago, had the term "woke" been around at the time, people from the conservative side of the spectrum would have dismissed the views of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, and everyone who supported their views, as "woke".
    Many people of a conservative persuasion did do so, they just used other expressions back then. Societal progress is a real thing, and the "anti-wokes" of yesteryear are not always considered to have been on the 'right side' of history.
    Is there any social change that has happened in the last 100 years where those against it have been on the right side of history? One for our small-c conservatives to ponder
  • Options
    alex_ said:

There’s not some obscure rule that means that if he’s no longer subject to the Tory whip then he must be replaced?
    Not really - the whole point of Select Committees is that they have a non-partisan culture (which tends to lead to reports splitting any differences) and they aren't supposed to be decided by party vote, though in practice every committee except this one has traditionally had a small majority of Government MPs (this is the exception because security is usually thought too important to depend on government whim). IIRC, committees stay in place throughout the Parliament - or is it the session? - and the Speaker would take a dim view of trying to change that, though obviously a government with a big majority can change anything if it really tries.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,233

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Tory majority -2.

Is that a new poll
    I see what you mean

I do not think Boris will be in place in 2024 but the majority will be around 80 less the odd resignation
    A confident prediction for GE 2024. Still the figure if Johnson is still in place?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

You can thank me later

I stand corrected.

I agree with that. The issue today seems to be that today’s “woke” for want of a better word are fighting some very dubious wars in my opinion.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Tory majority -2.

Is that a new poll
    I see what you mean

A confident prediction for GE 2024. Still the figure if Johnson is still in place?
    Not at all.

I have no idea what will happen in 2024 but I do not see an 80 seat majority or even near
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

eek said:

One small and foolish step of authoritarianism by the government which helps SKS most. The sort of event which makes centrists (the ones every party needs the votes of actually to win) stop and think.

Cummings keeps his job. Lewis loses the whip. Which one has behaved badly in the eyes of voters?

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Hilarious that failing Grayling lost a one horse race!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    Nigelb said:

I see Softbank are putting ARM up for sale again...

That's interesting. A very small number of Acorn shares paid for the conservatory I am sitting in when ARM sold up.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

One small and foolish step of authoritarianism by the government which helps SKS most. The sort of event which makes centrists (the ones every party needs the votes of actually to win) stop and think.

Cummings keeps his job. Lewis loses the whip. Which one has behaved badly in the eyes of voters?

I think it is generally accepted in politics if you collude with the opposition you lose the whip
  • Options

alex_ said:

Not really - the whole point of Select Committees is that they have a non-partisan culture (which tends to lead to reports splitting any differences) and they aren't supposed to be decided by party vote, though in practice every committee except this one has traditionally had a small majority of Government MPs (this is the exception because security is usually thought too important to depend on government whim). IIRC, committees stay in place throughout the Parliament - or is it the session? - and the Speaker would take a dim view of trying to change that, though obviously a government with a big majority can change anything if it really tries.
    I seem to recall last Parliament one of the parties defectors got kicked off a Select Committee after they jumped ship to TIG didn't they? Can't remember which one, think it was a woman.
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    Not quite

Labour/SNP saw a chance to embarrass the government (fair play)

Lewis broke ranks because he was offered an attractive bribe.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172

England for the English! Cornwall for the Cornish!! Rutland for the Ruttish!!!

Scunthorpe for the..
  • Options
    Blimey.

Arsenal leading
  • Options

Great work!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

algarkirk said:

eek said:

I think it is generally accepted in politics if you collude with the opposition you lose the whip
    It is central to the function of select committees that they are run by back benchers not the government of the day, so in this case it does not apply.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

Hilarious that failing Grayling lost a one horse race!

Can we be sure who he voted for? Perhaps, noting that Julian Lewis was a Conservative, he voted for him?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Phil said:

Have you read it? Your comment is not particularly relevant to, nor does it refute, Weber's argument at all.
    I have. It seemed rather Western centric in its thesis.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    If anyone watches the Sky Covid report on South Africa they will be very glad they live in the UK
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    tlg86 said:

Great work!
    Brentford will make short work of both these teams next season.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Whilst not disputing the principle behind your point, I thought that committee composition was still predetermined in line with party composition in the Commons? Otherwise what’s to stop the Govt just putting 100% majority party MPs on every committee? The chairmanships are more mixed, with the chair of the Public Accounts committee by convention being an Opposition member.

There was a lot of fun made/criticism of a new Labour MP at the start of the session who made a thing of refusing to vote for “a Tory” campaigning for one of the Committee positions. The point made by critics that she was choosing between Tories, not a Tory and somebody else, and this particular one was actually quite an independent mind who wouldn’t hesitate to ask awkward questions of the Govt if necessary.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:
    Not quite

Yes, had he voted for someone else he’d look more principled.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    rcs1000 said:

Those are better results for Biden in Florida and Arizona that I would have expected. I wonder if - in both - it is a reaction to the renewed CV-19 outbreak.

IF Biden takes those five states, he's comfortably home and nowhere else matters though obviously Senate and House races will.

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,791

eek said:

Are we sure this is Cummings? Could just be Johnson being a petulant toddler.
    Has he grown up that much recently?
  • Options
    I'm late to read today's https://lockdownsceptics.org/

But it seems my question of yesterday has been answered. The wild prediction of 120K deaths from Covid (in hospitals alone) for next winter is based on the Ferguson model and its 13 year old code.

With the billions being spent on the virus response could they not have found another team who could build a new model with modern code which when presented with the inputs actually gives our current death levels of ≈ 50K and not 500K as predicted in March?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited July 2020

stodge said:

Some fascinating US polling today. Rasmussen has Biden only three points up on Trump (47-44) which is a big swing to Trump from last week. As I can't access the crosstabs, the only nugget I have is Independents favour Biden by six this week compared with twelve last week.

Page 125 has the key numbers. Biden leads Trump 49-40 with a one point Trump lead among men (46-45) outbalanced by a 17 point Biden lead among women (52-35).

Trump leads 49-42 among White voters but Biden is up 46-40 in the Midwest and tied 45-45 in the South so an excellent poll for the Democrat challenger.

https://9b1b5e59-cb8d-4d7b-8493-111f8aa90329.usrfiles.com/ugd/9b1b5e_cabe0094cdf847dc8a2f12309173b8dd.pdf

Biden leads 51-41. I did note 55% of the sample were women which looks a little high and would skew the numbers toward Biden based on the above.

Rasmussen are of course known for overstaying the GOP. The other 4 polls released today all showed Biden leading by 8-10 pojnts
    Rasmussen's final poll in 2016 had Hillary up by 2%, she won the popular vote by 2%
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

The voters don't care.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Whilst not disputing the principle behind your point, I thought that committee composition was still predetermined in line with party composition in the Commons? Otherwise what’s to stop the Govt just putting 100% majority party MPs on every committee? The chairmanships are more mixed, with the chair of the Public Accounts committee by convention being an Opposition member.

There was a lot of fun made/criticism of a new Labour MP at the start of the session who made a thing of refusing to vote for “a Tory” campaigning for one of the Committee positions. The point made by critics that she was choosing between Tories, not a Tory and somebody else, and this particular one was actually quite an independent mind who wouldn’t hesitate to ask awkward questions of the Govt if necessary.
    Indeed so if this particular committee needs to have a Tory Chair - and if Lewis is no longer a Tory - how can he be the Chair? Just like the TIGger I'm pretty sure from memory lost a committee position.
  • Options

I'm late to read today's https://lockdownsceptics.org/

But it seems my question of yesterday has been answered. The wild prediction of 120K deaths from Covid (in hospitals alone) for next winter is based on the Ferguson model and its 13 year old code.

With the billions being spent on the virus response could they not have found another team who could build a new model with modern code which when presented with the inputs actually gives our current death levels of ≈ 50K and not 500K as predicted in March?

What was even more ridiculous is that the model didn’t just exclude a vaccine, or further lockdowns, but even assumed no treatment including those already being used successfully!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Indeed so if this particular committee needs to have a Tory Chair - and if Lewis is no longer a Tory - how can he be the Chair? Just like the TIGger I'm pretty sure from memory lost a committee position.
    Probably just a convention and not a rule.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited July 2020

So you think the protestant work ethic is universal, not cultural? Clue's in the name.

Since when have all white people been hard-working protestants? Some are lazy sods, or even Catholics.
    What about atheists?
    I associate the work ethic thing with the difference between broad cultural assumptions of protestants and Roman Catholics in Europe.

You can see a not dissimilar contrast between eg activist 'Western' culture and more fatalist Middle Eastern culture.

The atheist one is interesting - did not Dicky Dawkins talk about 'catholic' and 'protestant' atheists, but the point was too subtle for a lot of his crasser followers.

The militant atheists will be in saloon bars shouting at the lampshades.
  • Options
    So what does BoZo offer Grayling now (and make sure he gets it) to avoid another really pissed off Tory?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rasmussen's final poll in 2016 had Hillary up by 2%, she won by 2%

I'm not dismissing the Rasmussen poll but I've not seen the crosstabs either and I'd rather examine those to see possible over-sampling of any particular demographic or ethnic group rather than simply raking over the coals of four years ago.

After all, a broken clock is right twice a day...

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Just when you think this government has found the bottom, it finds a new low to sink to.
  • Options

DavidL said:

OFF TOPIC - This from Texas Monthly 2020 Runoff Roundup

Former Travis County GOP chair and B-list Austin crank Robert Morrow has suffered a stinging defeat in his bid to serve on the State Board of Education. GOP voters were apparently not in the mood for Morrow’s ideas for Texas schoolchildren, including pole-dancing classes for high-schoolers and teaching that Lyndon Johnson assassinated John Kennedy.

Morrow is losing 78-22 to Lani Popp, who has a lovely name and seems wisely to have stayed off
    Twitter, her challenger’s preferred medium for anime porn. Current Travis County GOP chair Matt Mackowiak must be relieved that he will not have to follow through on his promise to “light [himself] on fire” if Morrow wins.

American politics just seems so much livelier than ours. We are supposed to be amused at a joke about underpants.
    Texas is bigger & brasher at most things, including politics.

BUT Lone Star politics tame in some respects compared with Pelican State.

For example, had one friend of mine (the former ambassador's son) whose uncle once threatened in a drunken rage to assassinate His Honor the Mayor of New Orleans ("I'm gonna shot the god-damn son of a bitch!") because representatives from the city had come to his house and interrogated his wife about 100 or so unpaid parking tickets. He was dissuaded, but took some doing.

Interesting, had another friend (a fugitive from a Florida chain gang) who was once detained briefly by police ("arrest the usual suspects") following the murder of the same mayor's long-time mistress.
    I could tell you soooo many stories...

Like the time my cousin Derek shot the ears off a dragon during lunch ... or when the Master of Temple Church chose to let it burn rather than use our well... or... [censored] no, not that one
  • Options
    edited July 2020

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I don’t think it needs a Tory chair - that’s an implicit assumption of the Committee composition. But the issue is whether he owes his position on the Committee to taking the Tory whip in the first place. If he’s not on the Committee he can’t be chairman.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I don’t think it needs a Tory chair - that’s an implicit assumption of the Committee composition. But the issue is whether he owes his position on the Committee to taking the Tory whip in the first place. If he’s not on the Committee he can’t be chairman.
    Indeed that was my question. I'm pretty sure a defector lost their committee spot last year in similar circumstances, I think it was a woman who'd defected from Labour from memory but I can't remember who.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Rasmussen's final poll in 2016 had Hillary up by 2%, she won the popular vote by 2%
    Thanks for the tip. So it really is down to the state polling. The national picture again is too close to call.
  • Options
    stodge said:

rcs1000 said:

Those are better results for Biden in Florida and Arizona that I would have expected. I wonder if - in both - it is a reaction to the renewed CV-19 outbreak.

IF Biden takes those five states, he's comfortably home and nowhere else matters though obviously Senate and House races will.

If Biden takes Florida, he's got 261 electoral college votes, and at that point he just needs one of - Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia and North Carolina.

That being said... Florida swung against the Dems in 2018, so I wouldn't count on it if I were Joe Biden.
  • Options
    Ireland putting a hold on further easing of lockdown restrictions:

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0715/1153499-politics-cabinet/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Stig Abell's tweet sums up the hilarity of what should be a serious issue.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Are you sure? I think Sarah Wollaston remained chair of the health committee throughout her party meanderings in the last parliament.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

alex_ said:

I seem to recall last Parliament one of the parties defectors got kicked off a Select Committee after they jumped ship to TIG didn't they? Can't remember which one, think it was a woman.
    The only way to remove a member of the intelligence committee is via a vote in the house of commons - the rules are there if you spend 30 seconds on google
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Are you sure? I think Sarah Wollaston remained chair of the health committee throughout her party meanderings in the last parliament.
    I believe you are correct.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

You can thank me later

I stand corrected.

I agree with that. The issue today seems to be that today’s “woke” for want of a better word are fighting some very dubious wars in my opinion.
    I had this argument with my kids (10 and 12 years old) - I said, "if I can be gender fluid, why can't I be species fluid? - why can't I self identify as a dog?"
  • Options

Stig Abell's tweet sums up the hilarity of what should be a serious issue.

And of course Grayling is still on the committee. He has to go the meetings and listen to Lewis tell him to shut up.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Indeed that was my question. I'm pretty sure a defector lost their committee spot last year in similar circumstances, I think it was a woman who'd defected from Labour from memory but I can't remember who.
    Changing party does not trigger losing membership of a committee. You are elected to a committee solely in your role as an MP - and composition of committees is a consequence (broadly) of the split of the HoC along party lines.
  • Options
    I suspect that neither Cummings nor Johnson really understand that much about Parliamentary politics. Johnson because he’s too lazy to get involved in it, and Cummings because he’s just got no interest in it. And therefore has a tendency to underestimate how much trouble it can cause the Govt. They got away with this, indeed were perhaps even helped by it in the last months of the previous Parliament because they were able to set up a Parliament vs the People situation. This is not actually an option with another election still four years away.
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

You can thank me later

My guess is that it is predominantly white people who are making these assumptions,
    associating things which these people
    perceive as virtues, with their own whiteness.

I stand corrected.

I tend to share your view that "woke" isn't a
    synonym for "morally good" or "logically correct", but I think that "anti-woke" is neither. I think that at the core of what some people like to call "woke", there is a progressive stance that constitutes one side of an argument and has its legitimation.

I had this argument with my kids (10 and 12 years old) - I said, "if I can be gender fluid, why can't I be species fluid? - why can't I self identify as a dog?"
    What or who is stopping you from doing so?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Charles said:

LadyG said:
    My Israeli contacts tell me it was opening the schools
    Really? Shit.

Also, I like the way you have "Israeli contacts". It makes me think you are probably linked to Mossad, which is cool
    I make a living trading information and solving problems for my friends
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

No I'm not sure. I just seem to recall Labour demanding they got "their" spot back on a select committee after a defection but I am going off memory and I can't remember who it was.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

eek said:
    Seems a bit of an extreme reaction.
    It’s fair.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

You can thank me later

My guess is that it is predominantly white people who are making these assumptions,

I stand corrected.

synonym for "morally good" or "logically correct", but I think that "anti-woke" is neither. I think that at the core of what some people like to call "woke", there is a progressive stance that constitutes one side of an argument and has its legitimation.

Access to Doctors’ surgeries? Unless you self identify as a guide dog.
  • Options
    eek said:

alex_ said:

The only way to remove a member of the intelligence committee is via a vote in the house of commons - the rules are there if you spend 30 seconds on google
    Don't know about everyone else, but my first thought is

"No, not even BoJo would be stupid enough to try that."

rapidly followed by

"He wouldn't be stupid enough to try that... would he?"

(To be clear, I'm sure that he could get Lewis voted off the committee if he wanted, what with an 80 78 majority. But the knock-on costs to the reputation of his government would be huge.)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

You can thank me later

I stand corrected.

"On the Internet nobody knows you're a dog". Famous New Yorker cartoon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited July 2020
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

You can thank me later

I stand corrected.

Hey, furries are a thing. RCS1000 can let their fur flag fly free, if that’s what they want.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1283498662769971200

I'm afraid I am pessimistic enough to think we'll get the evidence in November.
  • Options

Lewis didn’t just vote for another candidate. He conspired with the opposition and broke ranks
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Charles said:

DavidL said:
    Not quite

Bribe is such an unpleasant little word under these circumstances. Incentive is much more attractive.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    OGH says "This all reminds me of the moves a few decades ago on the wearing of car seat belts being made compulsory which nowadays few find controversial. The objective is the same – to save lives."

Well, it depends on whose lives we want to save---risk compensation you know.
    For instance, if instead of an airbag and/or seat belt cars had a spear that would stick the driver if they ran into something or somebody, then I can guarantee they would drive slowly and carefully. I think anyway that car usage in our society is largely perverse and unnatural, flying in the face of a million years of evolution. Instead, therefore, we should do more to protect walkers and, pushing things a bit, cyclists.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

No I'm not sure. I just seem to recall Labour demanding they got "their" spot back on a select committee after a defection but I am going off memory and I can't remember who it was.
    It appears they wanted to, but couldn’t.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/labour-launches-bid-to-purge-independent-group-mps-from-commons-committees

Parties are allocated spots according to House of Commons composition at the start of the Parliament, but once elected committee members appear free to do what they want.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

eek said:

alex_ said:

Don't know about everyone else, but my first thought is

"No, not even BoJo would be stupid enough to try that."

rapidly followed by

"He wouldn't be stupid enough to try that... would he?"

(To be clear, I'm sure that he could get Lewis voted off the committee if he wanted, what with an 80 78 majority. But the knock-on costs to the reputation of his government would be huge.)
    Your point is merely academic if Johnson doesn't give a s***!

Or rather if he does, re: the Russia Report.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Lewis didn’t just vote for another candidate. He conspired with the opposition and broke ranks
    On an unwhipped vote surely?

Not every MP who breaks the whip loses the whip normally, let alone one who breaks an unwhipped vote.
  • Options
    Charles said:

You seem to be overlooking the point being made that even if the Govt have justification for it, actually doing so is quite possibly bloody stupid.
This discussion has been closed.