Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunak now level-pegging with Johnson on who would make the “be

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    LadyG said:

Alistair said:
    The atmos at the paper sounds absolutely toxic. I’ve heard similar about other big media organizations, some in the UK, but the NYT is probably the worst.
    Just checking, is this the same Bari Weiss who famously led a years long campaign to get professors at Columbia fired based on almost entirely made up 'evidence' because she didn't like their speech.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Nerys does have a point.

She asks why introduce masks in all shops (even boutiques, which are rarely visited by the old, infirm and obese) when all the other measures have so obviously worked?

This is what I can’t grasp either.

It’s Tuesday, usually the worst day of the week, yet the deaths announced are very few. The mitigation strategies have clearly worked.

Why then, introduce a fairly draconian one now? I just can’t understand the thinking,

Because we need to lift the Draconian restrictions. Social distancing is an evil that may have been a necessary evil but is a burdensome restriction on liberty.

As we lift those burdens alternative solutions are required to take their place.

Or instead of a mask would you rather be a lockdown Nazi keeping us locked up forever but no masks while we are locked at home?
    No of course not. Yet if that is the case, why not say that? ‘We are bringing in shopping masks ahead of binning the 1m rule later’.

Of course, someone somehow might have said that - but the government’s messaging is so dire I got lost in the fog of war.
    The governments been lifting the lockdown for a while now. They have said they're trying to reduce it from 2m to 1m+ and masks fall under the 1m+
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Matt Hancock thinks shops should call the police if they see a person in a shop without a mask.

Yeah like I really want to go to a shop where the staff are stalinist style government informers sneaking on me to the police at their earliest opportunity.

That's exactly the kind of place I would want to patronise with my custom.

Hancock has totally lost his mind.

This government has totally lost its mind.

You could just wear a mask like a sane person would.
    And you should stop endangering my life by driving a car. Think of the pollution threat to me and the risk of injury to yourself and others. Think of the strain you are putting on the NHS.

The sane thing to do is stop, clearly.
    You're making a category error. Pollution and the risk of accidents are incremental. There's no exponential network effect in the way there is with an easily transmissible virus. Masks are a common sense way to mitigate some of the risk of carrying out normal activities with the minimum of disruption.
    Where is the evidence of an incremental effect with the virus? Death rates started falling before lockdown even started. Now they are on the floor.

We were told there would be second waves after BLM, Bournemouth, Brighton, the list goes on.

Nothing except falls.

Why should we accept the advice of people whose polices are wrecking our lives, our prosperity, our freedom and our mental health?

Just stop. Stop.

• Options
    What I'm saying is Weiss is a massive fucking hypocrite who's objection is not any threat of free speech but that she doesn't like being made fun of on twitter.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,541
    eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

She asks why introduce masks in all shops (even boutiques, which are rarely visited by the old, infirm and obese) when all the other measures have so obviously worked?

It’s Tuesday, usually the worst day of the week, yet the deaths announced are very few. The mitigation strategies have clearly worked.

Why then, introduce a fairly draconian one now? I just can’t understand the thinking,

Because Brexit has reached the f**king embarrassing stage of we haven't got a deal with the EU and we've just pissed off one of the other two economic giants...

Today's mask argument has completely hid the need for a 15,000 space lorry processing site in Ashford...
    Which leads to an interesting question linked to the header.

Imagine, hypothetically if you like, that the Johnson government's implementation of Brexit shows strong signs of being a clustershambles. Just hypothetically.

Now imagine that you are a youngish centre-right politician. You've made it a long way up the greasy pole, but you are naturally ambitious for more. You support the concept of Brexit, but you are planning on a career for many years after 2021. You also have enough of a numerate business background to be able to read the warning signs.

Obviously, you don't want to be one to push the emergency STOP button, even if you can locate it. (Someone seems to have disconnected the one which was there last month). But at the same time, you can see the warning lights flashing all around.

Just hypothetically, what do you do and when? Because I wouldn't have a clue. Might be why I'm not Chancel... not that I mean him, anyway.
  • Options

Nerys does have a point.

Because we need to lift the Draconian restrictions. Social distancing is an evil that may have been a necessary evil but is a burdensome restriction on liberty.

As we lift those burdens alternative solutions are required to take their place.

Or instead of a mask would you rather be a lockdown Nazi keeping us locked up forever but no masks while we are locked at home?
    No of course not. Yet if that is the case, why not say that? ‘We are bringing in shopping masks ahead of binning the 1m rule later’.

Of course, someone somehow might have said that - but the government’s messaging is so dire I got lost in the fog of war.
    The governments been lifting the lockdown for a while now. They have said they're trying to reduce it from 2m to 1m+ and masks fall under the 1m+
    Why are we listening to people who predicted all of these measures would fire the starting gun on the titanic second wave?
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Alistair said:

LadyG said:

Alistair said:
    The atmos at the paper sounds absolutely toxic. I’ve heard similar about other big media organizations, some in the UK, but the NYT is probably the worst.
    Just checking, is this the same Bari Weiss who famously led a years long campaign to get professors at Columbia fired based on almost entirely made up 'evidence' because she didn't like their speech.
    It matters not. Her letter is too good. It cannot be ignored. A bomb maybe just dropped on the NYT

You have to admire it merely as an exercise in writing. If you want to resign and give the boss a good kicking on the way out, that’s how to do it
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Alistair said:

What I'm saying is Weiss is a massive fucking hypocrite who's objection is not any threat of free speech but that she doesn't like being made fun of on twitter.

While true, the twitter comment is a killer attack line..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,197

Andy_JS said:

Quote from the Bari Weiss / New York Times letter.

"But the lessons that ought to have followed the election—lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society—have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else."

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

That is a brilliant letter.
    "I've been mocked by many people over the past few years for writing about the campus culture wars...they told me it was a sideshow. But this was always why it mattered: The people who graduated from those campuses would rise to power inside key institutions and transform them."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,126

Matt Hancock thinks shops should call the police if they see a person in a shop without a mask.

Yeah like I really want to go to a shop where the staff are stalinist style government informers sneaking on me to the police at their earliest opportunity.

And you should stop endangering my life by driving a car. Think of the pollution threat to me and the risk of injury to yourself and others. Think of the strain you are putting on the NHS.

You're making a category error. Pollution and the risk of accidents are incremental. There's no exponential network effect in the way there is with an easily transmissible virus. Masks are a common sense way to mitigate some of the risk of carrying out normal activities with the minimum of disruption.
    Where is the evidence of an incremental effect with the virus? Death rates started falling before lockdown even started. Now they are on the floor.

We were told there would be second waves after BLM, Bournemouth, Brighton, the list goes on.

Nothing except falls.

Why should we accept the advice of people whose polices are wrecking our lives, our prosperity, our freedom and our mental health?

Just stop. Stop.
    So your motivation for refusing to wear a mask is ultimately just to stick it to the man rather than any rational or ethical calculation on your own part.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127
    eristdoof said:

Nerys does have a point.

30 year old is Sars-Cov-2 positive but doesn't know it. Goes to boutique without a mask. Infects a 32 year old not wearing a mask.
    32 year old visits parents and infects a 60 year old parent. 60 year old spends 5 weeks in hospital.
    Yes, although that could happen in other settings too: pubs, schools, garden parties etc.

There is a chance of the transmission you describe, but social distancing makes it a low chance. Are you suggesting we wear masks for all and every public activity?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,388
    LadyG said:

Make it all go away

A strange sentiment from someone who has been enjoying it far too much for far too long.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Andy_JS said:

Quote from the Bari Weiss / New York Times letter.

"But the lessons that ought to have followed the election—lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society—have not been learned. Instead, a new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else."

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

That is a brilliant letter.
    "I've been mocked by many people over the past few years for writing about the campus culture wars...they told me it was a sideshow. But this was always why it mattered: The people who graduated from those campuses would rise to power inside key institutions and transform them."
    She literally waged a campaign against free speech whilst on campus.
  • Options

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

Because Brexit has reached the f**king embarrassing stage of we haven't got a deal with the EU and we've just pissed off one of the other two economic giants...

Today's mask argument has completely hid the need for a 15,000 space lorry processing site in Ashford...

Imagine, hypothetically if you like, that the Johnson government's implementation of Brexit shows strong signs of being a clustershambles. Just hypothetically.

Now imagine that you are a youngish centre-right politician. You've made it a long way up the greasy pole, but you are naturally ambitious for more. You support the concept of Brexit, but you are planning on a career for many years after 2021. You also have enough of a numerate business background to be able to read the warning signs.

Obviously, you don't want to be one to push the emergency STOP button, even if you can locate it. (Someone seems to have disconnected the one which was there last month). But at the same time, you can see the warning lights flashing all around.

Just hypothetically, what do you do and when? Because I wouldn't have a clue. Might be why I'm not Chancel... not that I mean him, anyway.
    Most of the time it wouldn't matter as its usually possible to fix problems retrospectively (yes there is still pain but you can correct the mistake).

For Brexit I'm not sure if the mistakes that are likely to be made this week are fixable (one mistake has already been made as we've confirmed China is no longer a friend, I believe us telling the EU the same is due to occur tomorrow).
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Latest data on reported cases.

Overall incidence is low (except for some hot spots) but cases are no longer falling.
    R=1 for England and 1.15 for London. On a knife edge as restrictions are further relaxed. Control depends critically on test track and trace (whack-a-mole) and people keeping alert and behaving sensibly.

• Options
    LadyG said:

Alistair said:

LadyG said:

Alistair said:
    It matters not. Her letter is too good. It cannot be ignored. A bomb maybe just dropped on the NYT

You have to admire it merely as an exercise in writing. If you want to resign and give the boss a good kicking on the way out, that’s how to do it
    She spent the last two years whining about lack of free speech... from her column in the New York Times.
  • Options

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

It’s hard to imagine the shopping masks and the 1m rule are linked - I mean they might be but it’s very odd to implement them a month apart if so!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

eristdoof said:

Nerys does have a point.

30 year old is Sars-Cov-2 positive but doesn't know it. Goes to boutique without a mask. Infects a 32 year old not wearing a mask.
    32 year old visits parents and infects a 60 year old parent. 60 year old spends 5 weeks in hospital.
    Yes, although that could happen in other settings too: pubs, schools, garden parties etc.

There is a chance of the transmission you describe, but social distancing makes it a low chance. Are you suggesting we wear masks for all and every public activity?
    In pubs you should wear masks when walking around. When you are at your own table you don't need to wear a mask.

Garden parties it is easy to keep your distance, and you are outside.

etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Countries with more complete lockdowns have done a better job of eliminating the virus.

Countries which clamped down on international air travel early had an easier time.

Countries which have been more gradual at removing restrictions, have seen fewer CV-19 flare ups.

What am I missing?

“Eliminating the virus” is way overstating things.

The problem in the US was allowing domestic air travel to continue, seeding the virus all over the states.

All countries are currently struggling to establish what the new normal might look like, with the worst case being that immunity only lasts as long as you’d get from a common cold and a vaccine may be equivalently unachievable.
  • Options

It really is an indictment of the crass incompetence of the government's messaging that the moderate and completely sensible (albeit a bit tardy) decision to mandate masks in shops has become a political controversy, for no good reason whatsoever. It's an object lesson in how to screw up something simple.

People have become very suspicious of this government. Liberties which were taken have not been returned.

Why should they give another inch?
    Maybe because helping reduce the spread of a fatal disease is not something you do simply as a favour to Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock.

And as for liberties, it is quite extraordinarily silly to regard the tiny and temporary inconvenience of wearing a mask in certain limited circumstances as something to get het up about. In the overall scheme of government interference in our lives, this is as minor as anything you'll ever get.
    For you and me, that’s true.

But, although you might not believe it, many millions of women consider shopping a leisure activity. They spend hours a week doing it.

Some men, too, although very few PBers.
  • Options

Nothing except falls.

Just stop. Stop.
    So your motivation for refusing to wear a mask is ultimately just to stick it to the man rather than any rational or ethical calculation on your own part.
    If you like, because the man sure has been sticking to me for the last four months.

After a long period of house arrest that shows no signs of ending, We face a horrible, horrible future of mistrust, discord, poverty, unemployment, ignorance, suffering and deprivation.

Why should we keep listening? why should we keep obeying? it only ever gets worse.
  • Options

Nothing except falls.

Just stop. Stop.
    He has shown his working to be fair to him.

You might not agree with him.

But he is right about BLM, Bournemouth and Brighton.
  • Options

It really is an indictment of the crass incompetence of the government's messaging that the moderate and completely sensible (albeit a bit tardy) decision to mandate masks in shops has become a political controversy, for no good reason whatsoever. It's an object lesson in how to screw up something simple.

People have become very suspicious of this government. Liberties which were taken have not been returned.

Maybe because helping reduce the spread of a fatal disease is not something you do simply as a favour to Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock.

And as for liberties, it is quite extraordinarily silly to regard the tiny and temporary inconvenience of wearing a mask in certain limited circumstances as something to get het up about. In the overall scheme of government interference in our lives, this is as minor as anything you'll ever get.

But, although you might not believe it, many millions of women consider shopping a leisure activity. They spend hours a week doing it.

Wearing a mask does not stop you enjoying shopping as a leisure activity. It facilitates it.
  • Options

Nerys does have a point.

Why are we listening to people who predicted all of these measures would fire the starting gun on the titanic second wave?
    We are not.

We should ignore the extremists on both sides ...

Sensible people didn't do that but are saying to wear masks.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Nerys does have a point.

In pubs you should wear masks when walking around. When you are at your own table you don't need to wear a mask.

Garden parties it is easy to keep your distance, and you are outside.

etc.
    No, that’s not the rule in pubs. That’s not true.

I was in a country pub the last two Saturdays nobody except the barmaids had masks on.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616

Especially since the wearing of masks will allow for a whole raft of other interference to be rolled back. It's honestly such a weird stand from the libertarian right wingers.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited July 2020

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

It’s hard to imagine the shopping masks and the 1m rule are linked - I mean they might be but it’s very odd to implement them a month apart if so!
    Been travelling all day. Several stops at non essential shops, spent some disposable income on non essentials (some crockery, some nice books) - asked the small shopkeepers whether they thought masks would help their sales or not. All leant against, unprompted by my views.

I get it for supermarkets. I get it for essential shops that one has to patronise and have to have queuing. But mandatory for rare bookshops? Or for boutiques? Just feels like the wrong time.

I'll be wearing a mask, as I don't personally have a problem with them and have been doing so on trains for ages - but I won't be as keen to make ad hoc stops in non essential shops whilst they're mandatory.

Shopping is a pleasure for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I fear for high street retail.
  • Options

Liberties are often not taken in big bites, they are taken incrementally. An inconvenience here, an extra rule there. No bother. They don;t add up to much in themselves, but after a while you turn around and find yourself trapped.

It has to stop somewhere. For me, and I suspect many others, it is here.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,315

That's what strikes me too. This was a shoulder high, put away volley but they've managed to turn it into a long, grinding baseline exchange.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

They should be linked but they aren't..

Why Boris and Cummings, the Laurel and Hardy of this Government....

I should add as it's appropriate here someone tried to apply change management processes to Covid 19 in a blog post yesterday - I've really seen a worse example of a Change Management project in my life.
  • Options

Liberties are often not taken in big bites, they are taken incrementally. An inconvenience here, an extra rule there. No bother. They don;t add up to much in themselves, but after a while you turn around and find yourself trapped.

Do you think having to wear a seatbelt is an infringement on your liberties?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Especially since the wearing of masks will allow for a whole raft of other interference to be rolled back. It's honestly such a weird stand from the libertarian right wingers.
    Careful. Not all libertarians are rightwing.
  • Options

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

The rate of reduction in the R has definitely slowed down since we reopened non-essential shops and there has been a levelling off in the number of deaths as well. Mask wearing will hopefully the decline in both to restart. By death date England is seeing between 60 and 80 deaths per day, that figure is now not falling. There is a reason for that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I don't think it's women who are the ones moaning about wearing masks in shops, generally speaking. In any case if they are spending hours shopping then all the more reason to wear a mask while they do it.
  • Options

Wearing a mask does not stop you enjoying shopping as a leisure activity. It facilitates it.
    Leisure activity? Search on Amazon for whatever it is that you need. Find it and click buy. A day or two later it arrives. The only leisure is putting your feet up between click and delivery.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Been travelling all day. Several stops at non essential shops, spent some disposable income on non essentials (some crockery, some nice books) - asked the small shopkeepers whether they thought masks would help their sales or not. All leant against, unprompted by my views.

I get it for supermarkets. I get it for essential shops that one has to patronise and have to have queuing. But mandatory for rare bookshops? Or for boutiques? Just feels like the wrong time.

I'll be wearing a mask, as I don't personally have a problem with them and have been doing so on trains for ages - but I won't be as keen to make ad hoc stops in non essential shops whilst they're mandatory.

Yes, eloquently put sir.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

Nerys does have a point.

People staying at home is the measure that worked.
    If you want more people out and about, working and shopping, then you need other measures to compensate.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

Most of the time it wouldn't matter as its usually possible to fix problems retrospectively (yes there is still pain but you can correct the mistake).

For Brexit I'm not sure if the mistakes that are likely to be made this week are fixable (one mistake has already been made as we've confirmed China is no longer a friend, I believe us telling the EU the same is due to occur tomorrow).
    Well yes. The poll tax is the textbook example of a bad mistake that was reversed, and the price was the PM's head and the seat loss in 1992. This has the potential to be much worse and harder to fix. But also harder to pre-empt.

So if you're Ri... illy ambitious (think I got away with that one) and a cabinet minister, what do you do?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

Well yes. The poll tax is the textbook example of a bad mistake that was reversed, and the price was the PM's head and the seat loss in 1992. This has the potential to be much worse and harder to fix. But also harder to pre-empt.

So if you're Ri... illy ambitious (think I got away with that one) and a cabinet minister, what do you do?
    Rishi just has to prepare for the inevitable fall of Boris. He doesn't need to be the cause of it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?
    Because it takes the pleasure out of it.

I spend maybe 2 or 3 hours a week shopping for clothes, antiques, books, journals etc - its a joy. I'm sure I won't be alone.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

As my second paragraph says - you can't do anything by Friday next week (probably Friday this week if we are honest) the damage will be irreversible. Heck I suspect the first thing you will do is keep Boris around until mid 2022 after it's all played out (and the Scottish "Not a Referendum" Referendum has been held).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Careful. Not all libertarians are rightwing.
    Very few librarians are right wing IMO.
  • Options

The government that brought that rule in hadn;t just imposed a house arrest on its citizens four months, and hadn't destroyed its own economy permanently, or moved 11 million workers onto its payroll

So I credited them with a modicum of sense.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?

I spend maybe 2 or 3 hours a week shopping for clothes, antiques, books, journals etc - its a joy. I'm sure I won't be alone.
    You just need to get a fancy mask that's comfortable to wear and you'll soon get used to it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?

Think of all that time you’ll have to redeploy into something more useful.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Nobody cares about taking your liberties away. We already have a perfectly system to funnel more and more wealth and power into a small number of hands. The beneficiaries are too busy partying on Little Saint James to care about making you wear a fucking mask.
  • Options
    If I were a corner shop type operation, I'd be moving to having a hatch pronto to avoid the mask requirement.

Our local did it during the height of the lockdown, and it was really popular.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?

Think of all that time you’ll have to redeploy into something more useful.
    My bank balance will definitely grow, thats for sure.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,549

Nerys does have a point.

If you want more people out and about, working and shopping, then you need other measures to compensate.
    Its about stamping out the last of it - down to a very low level.

Hence the "100 locations" where there are interventions etc...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    coach said:

coach said:

I'm told Starmer is a working class boy from South London, I'm genuinely pleased to hear it.

But he doesn't sound like one, something happened on his journey

Perhaps he realised that in a class-ridden country like England he had to modify his accent to be taken seriously. It may have even been subconscious. He doesn't sound particularly posh, kind of neutral educated middle class, certainly nothing like Johnson or Cameron, or indeed Sunak.
    I agree he doesn't sound very South London though, I've never heard him call anyone "fam".
    Or that he actually went to a fee paying school in Reigate but it suits him to pretend he's proper working class.

I loathe the whole class system but let's not pretend we're something we're not
    I though he went to a grammar school that became fee paying while he was there and his non fee paying status was grandfathered? His background is quite obviously working class, he has prospered owing to his own skill and ambition rather than parental wealth or a network of patronage. Personally I think that's pretty admirable, and it's sad that is even worthy of note as it should be the sort of thing that is commonplace.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Mortimer said:

Why does it take the pleasure out of it? Personally I'm much happier shopping if I think there's less of a chance of catching or spreading the virus. A bit of cloth on my face doesn't impede my comfort- I don't even notice it after a while.
  • Options

The government that brought that rule in hadn;t just imposed a house arrest on its citizens four months, and hadn't destroyed its own economy permanently, or moved 11 million workers onto its payroll

What do you think the common sense way to deal with a pandemic is? Tell everyone to make their own decisions? It would be very naive to think that wouldn't lead to a collapse in economic activity.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Countries with more complete lockdowns have done a better job of eliminating the virus.

Countries which clamped down on international air travel early had an easier time.

Countries which have been more gradual at removing restrictions, have seen fewer CV-19 flare ups.

What am I missing?

Boris's biggest mistake was not stopping international air travel in March or thereabouts.
    I would say there are three big mistakes:

1. No stopping of international flights, and no quarantines for people coming home from hotspots. Done right, this would have probably reduced the number of seeders by 50-80%.

2. Releasing the still infectious back into care homes.

3. Being the last on the mask train.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Why does it take the pleasure out of it? Personally I'm much happier shopping if I think there's less of a chance of catching or spreading the virus. A bit of cloth on my face doesn't impede my comfort- I don't even notice it after a while.
    Its a good question. I suppose it is escapism.

I wear mine 2 or 3 times a week on the train, I definitely notice it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

In what way is the UK economy permanently damaged?

Don't forget that it was just over ten years from the end of the Second World War - when government debt-to-GDP was 350%, millions were homeless, and much of the Britain's production was destroyed - to "you've never had it so good."

Anyone who thinks our economy has been permanently damaged by four months of economic activity 25% below normal levels is deranged, deluded or retarded.

Which are you?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

Or underpants, for that matter.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

If you think masks destroy the aspect of escapism, you'd need to ban people from wearing them, otherwise you might encounter someone else wearing a mask and be overcome with a sense of foreboding.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Don't forget that it was just over ten years from the end of the Second World War - when government debt-to-GDP was 350%, millions were homeless, and much of the Britain's production was destroyed - to "you've never had it so good."

Anyone who thinks our economy has been permanently damaged by four months of economic activity 25% below normal levels is deranged, deluded or retarded.

Which are you?
    All of the above?

(Though I don't think you're supposed to use the last word anymore - naught step for Mr Smithson Jr)
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

As my second paragraph says - you can't do anything by Friday next week (probably Friday this week if we are honest) the damage will be irreversible. Heck I suspect the first thing you will do is keep Boris around until mid 2022 after it's all played out (and the Scottish "Not a Referendum" Referendum has been held).
    Agree about the unlikelihood of fixing the problems, unfortunately.

So is the prognosis for Rishi a couple of years of pain as CofE, perhaps taking over as PM in 2022 (though if it goes that pearshaped, Bozza will probably go off in a sulk well before then and his successor will have to have clean Brexit hands) and a lemming march to a defeat in 2024 that will make 1997 look like a walk in the park?

Shame. Sunak's got more talent than that.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Path to glory. Go shopping without one. Get caught and fined. Refuse to pay fine. Go to trial as a test case. Lose and go to jail. In jail write book, "Maskerado: How one man said 'No!' to the British State telling him what to wear at Tesco".

On release, it all takes off. Best seller. Point made. Fortune made.

But I foresee a problem with step 2. I sense this will not be aggressively policed and so you will probably struggle to get into trouble. You may need to start shouting in the shop - "look, no mask, no mask!" - to get the requisite attention.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

If you think masks destroy the aspect of escapism, you'd need to ban people from wearing them, otherwise you might encounter someone else wearing a mask and be overcome with a sense of foreboding.
    Not really a banning sort of guy....

But around here, I'd say 5% wearing them during shopping at the moment is the norm. Maybe less.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?

In what way does wearing a mask take the joy out? I wear a mask out at the moment and find that I just forget I have it on after about 5 minutes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    I think that city centres won't look the same even after we've seen the back of this. A large proportion of offices are going to be smaller and that means fewer cafes, bars and pubs for those workers who do come into the office on a regular basis.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    I think that city centres won't look the same even after we've seen the back of this. A large proportion of offices are going to be smaller and that means fewer cafes, bars and pubs for those workers who do come into the office on a regular basis.
    I disagree, at least outside London. Pretty much everyone I know who is currently WFH is sick of it and wants to be back in the office.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    edited July 2020
    Carnyx said:

Monkeys said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:
    Lol.

The last poll showed the SNP winning seats on the List vote despite taking almost all the FPTP seats.
    If they really push for it they could have as strong an impact as Change UK.

I saw the polling on Alex Salmond's party - which was a "Yes/No" to "Do you think you might vote for the new party with your list vote?”

He got 24%, which once you factor in acquiescence bias is surely not enough to convince Alex that it's worthwhile.
    Different voting system, remember, not FPTP. Even the Scottish Socialists got seats in the first election or two before they self-destructed.
    Would Alex be happy with being reduced to Tommy Sheridan's previous status? He'd want more.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    All 3 sounds about right to me.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    I daresay even mentioning the rsoles who are touching themselves inappropriately over Bari Weiss's resignation letter is some sort of restriction of free speech.

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1283082256219869184?s=20

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1283082402450026500?s=20

Of course it is!

https://twitter.com/Obstradamus/status/1283083074390171650?s=20
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

Why?

In what way does wearing a mask take the joy out? I wear a mask out at the moment and find that I just forget I have it on after about 5 minutes.
    Its a personal thing. It takes away the escapism, for me.

Like I said, I'm not going to die in a ditch over it.

Sincerely hope I am wrong, but I fear it will actively discourage non essential shopping on the high street. So do the non essential shopkeepers I've spoken to.

I expect it will probably drive online sales up. Most of my business is online, so perversely I'll probably benefit.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986

I daresay even mentioning the rsoles who are touching themselves inappropriately over Bari Weiss's resignation letter is some sort of restriction of free speech.

Of course it is!

Guilt by association? Interesting. Also is Ted Cruz really far right?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    I've been in work for just over 11 years. I can happily say that I've never had it so good.

Of course, I might not be in work this time next year.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    I disagree, at least outside London. Pretty much everyone I know who is currently WFH is sick of it and wants to be back in the office.
    How many people over 40 with kids do you know? That seems to be the dividing line IMO, under 40s are raring to go back, over 40s much less so.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    I'm seriously trying to work out how I move to what I suspect would be the preferred long term solution of 2 days a week in the office and 3 days from home...

The problem is 2 days in the office is going to cost me as much as 5 days at the moment...
  • Options
    OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    Yes but then you always have preferred insults to arguments.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Path to glory. Go shopping without one. Get caught and fined. Refuse to pay fine. Go to trial as a test case. Lose and go to jail. In jail write book, "Maskerado: How one man said 'No!' to the British State telling him what to wear at Tesco".

But I foresee a problem with step 2. I sense this will not be aggressively policed and so you will probably struggle to get into trouble. You may need to start shouting in the shop - "look, no mask, no mask!" - to get the requisite attention.
    Or possibly go full libertarian commando, no mask and naked from the waist down. That'd get their attention.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Sunak is both in the best place and the worst. He's the giver of good things, but also the sweeper-under-the-carpet of all the bad things.

Unless you're monumentally stupid you'll let Boris ride out this storm.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

MaxPB said:

The opposite is true in my office (90 people in a Surrey town). Management understood that several people had expressed interest in partial reopening and asked around - almost everyone said no thanks, including some who had been thought interested. The big hurdle for many is public transport - few can afford to live near work, and travelling by train is seen as too scary. We've put it off till a review in October.

But besides these anecdata, isn't there some polling on this?

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790
    edited July 2020
    This is a quite remarkable story about next generation aquaculture:

Will Your Next Salmon Come from a Massive Land Tank in Florida?
    https://www.politico.com/news/agenda/2020/07/14/florida-bluehouse-fish-farm-352495
    ...Atlantic Sapphire plans to grow 220,000 annual tons of salmon, or 44 percent of current U.S. consumption, on a 160-acre tract that once grew about 5,000 annual tons of tomatoes. As one industry expert quipped to me: That’s a lotta lox. To put it another way, the goal is to produce about 15 percent as many tons of food as Florida’s citrus industry produced last year on about 0.03 percent as much land...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kinabalu said:

Or else step 2 is get beaten to a pulp by mask-wearing vigilante shoppers.

"Sorry officer, from behind the till here I couldn't see their faces. They all had masks on, see...."
  • Options
    From the data on the new Beta dashboard -

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    glw said:

Because the US sanctions only affect future equipment, the government does not believe there is a security justification for removing 2G, 3G and 4G equipment supplied by Huawei.

So the whole thing is a complete fucking waste of time and won't make any difference. This Government is hopeless

They are right on this. There is not security issue, in the sense of backdoors and the like, it's an issue for the future as the US does everything it can to limit Huawei's ability to operate by cutting off access to technology suppliers of all sorts. So current kit works, and doesn't seem to be any worse from a security point of view than the alternatives, of which there are few. Getting rid of that existing kit would cost a lot of money, and likely make security worse as we'd be more dedendent on fewer suppliers.

It will be time to replace legacy and broadband Huawei equipment when it is at its end-of-life and hopefully there are some alternatives to the likes of Nokia and Ericsson.
    How many Tories lined up for jobs with Nokia and Ericsson then
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sunak is both in the best place and the worst. He's the giver of good things, but also the sweeper-under-the-carpet of all the bad things.

Unless you're monumentally stupid you'll let Boris ride out this storm.

Boris just waits until Rishi needs to put up taxes.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    Nah. I know several people who are hoping it lasts as long as possible, including one who is raising all sorts of issues with her employer in the hope that it delays their being required back in the office.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

rcs1000 said:

Which are you?
    The long term effects will be from changed behaviour.

Flying, public transport, city centres all may not recover to their previous levels.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    edited July 2020

eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

I think Sunak might trigger the Vassal State option, aka SM+CU, if he sees it as a way to cluster-unfuck Brexit . He's less invested in Brexit than Cummings-Johnson. We're obviously not going to rejoin and going down the SM+CU route is a) the most aligned you can be to the EU without actually being a member and b) would spike Labour guns.
  • Options
    To level the playing field, they could always make mask wearing a requirement for buying things online? ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Of course it is!

That Alex Kotch. What a wordsmith, eh?

How much would you pay for his insights?
  • Options

Nerys does have a point.

Its about stamping out the last of it - down to a very low level.

Hence the "100 locations" where there are interventions etc...
    Just strikes me - masks are now for the long haul, I guess. Perhaps until a vaccine.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

The rate of reduction in the R has definitely slowed down since we reopened non-essential shops and there has been a levelling off in the number of deaths as well. Mask wearing will hopefully the decline in both to restart. By death date England is seeing between 60 and 80 deaths per day, that figure is now not falling. There is a reason for that.
    80 is still a lot of people
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This is a quite remarkable story about next generation aquaculture:

Will Your Next Salmon Come from a Massive Land Tank in Florida?
    https://www.politico.com/news/agenda/2020/07/14/florida-bluehouse-fish-farm-352495
    ...Atlantic Sapphire plans to grow 220,000 annual tons of salmon, or 44 percent of current U.S. consumption, on a 160-acre tract that once grew about 5,000 annual tons of tomatoes. As one industry expert quipped to me: That’s a lotta lox. To put it another way, the goal is to produce about 15 percent as many tons of food as Florida’s citrus industry produced last year on about 0.03 percent as much land...

be like their chlorinated chicken , hormone riddled beef etc, rotten.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

I think Sunak might trigger the Vassal State option, aka SM+CU, if he sees it as a way to cluster-unfuck Brexit . He's less invested in Brexit than Cummings-Johnson. We're obviously not going to rejoin and going down the SM+CU route is a) the most aligned you can be to the EU without actually being a member and b) would spike Labour guns.
    And all for a mere £450m a week (after we inevitably reach parity with the euro)...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nerys does have a point.

I must have missed that.

True, but there are some big differences around the country. Perhaps mask wearing should be introduced in the areas where the virus is most prevalent.
  • Options

coach said:

coach said:

I'm told Starmer is a working class boy from South London, I'm genuinely pleased to hear it.

But he doesn't sound like one, something happened on his journey

Perhaps he realised that in a class-ridden country like England he had to modify his accent to be taken seriously. It may have even been subconscious. He doesn't sound particularly posh, kind of neutral educated middle class, certainly nothing like Johnson or Cameron, or indeed Sunak.
    I agree he doesn't sound very South London though, I've never heard him call anyone "fam".
    Or that he actually went to a fee paying school in Reigate but it suits him to pretend he's proper working class.

I loathe the whole class system but let's not pretend we're something we're not
    I though he went to a grammar school that became fee paying while he was there and his non fee paying status was grandfathered? His background is quite obviously working class, he has prospered owing to his own skill and ambition rather than parental wealth or a network of patronage. Personally I think that's pretty admirable, and it's sad that is even worthy of note as it should be the sort of thing that is commonplace.
    Truly don't get this one. Starmer does not come over as pretending to be working class.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Some very fine people on both sides.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Nerys does have a point.

Sunak was a leaver, and sees the opportunities of leaving SM+CU where you only see problems.
This discussion has been closed.