Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunak now level-pegging with Johnson on who would make the “be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited July 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunak now level-pegging with Johnson on who would make the “best PM”

Newbie pollsters, Redfield & Wilton are now asking their samples every week “At this moment, which of the following individuals do you think would be the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom? ” One of the comparisons is between Boris Johnson and Ricki Sunak.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    That poll was conducted on the evening of the mini budget when Rishi was all over the news.

I'm not sure how accurate it is.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT

You are obsessing about R as millions stand to lose their jobs and our country goes bankrupt in short order.

Imagine the worst possible economic situation for the UK. Its worse than that.

If only we'd locked down earlier, the damage to the economy- and the death toll- would have been much lower.
    I'm not remotely convinced by that.

Many countries that prematurely locked down are now really struggling. South Africa is an example, they were praised for locking down swiftly and their excess death toll was negative while ours was at its peak . . . but now they're suffering and entering a peak as we are exiting our lockdown.
    Why do you think that is? I can see three options that make sense:

1. They lifted the lockdown in an unsafe way, which we're not going to do. In that case, we presumably also wouldn't have lifted the lockdown in an unsafe way if we'd entered it two weeks earlier, so the only difference is we'd have saved tens of thousands of lives.

2. They lifted the lockdown in an unsafe way, which we're also going to do- perhaps because it's inherently impossible to lift lockdown to the extent that we want to safely. In that case, the fact that we haven't hit our second peak yet doesn't mean we're doing better than them, it just means we're slower.

3. For some other reason, the trajectory of the virus has just been different in the two countries and lockdown has affected it in different ways. In that case, we shouldn't be comparing them.
    I think its simpler than that.

Lockdown can only be maintained for a certain period of time and can flatten the peak and help with containment but can not be a way of life. So countries that prematurely lockdown have risked using up their lockdown period where it wasn't required only to then see the virus enter their society which now has no herd immunity and is already frustrated with lockdown restrictions, thus seeing a surge in cases post-lockdown.

However in countries that delayed lockdown and 'flattened the curve' after lockdown restrictions are lifted there is a much greater herd immunity effect so that even if there isn't full herd immunity it is easier to keep R down to below 1.

Which is basically what our SAGE scientists were saying back in March.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    I was busy this weekend but am I right that if the studies show that those who have had Covid-19 have a short immunity period from Covid-19 then herd immunity is non starter?

Also that means Sweden is buggered?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    FPT
    fox327 said:

The latest COVID figures for Sweden are looking encouraging: deaths per day down to less than 20 compared to 100 in April. New cases per day are less than 500, down from the peak of 1000+ in June. These figures are also covered in this article from the Daily Telegraph from 11th July: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/11/second-wave-covid-swedish-approach-will-have-right-along/.

Sweden seems to be doing better than the USA in controlling the virus and better than the UK on the economy.

Being "better" than the USA or UK is nothing to be proud of when it comes to Covid. Norway, Denmark and Japan are more like the countries you want to be using as good examples.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

FPT

fox327 said:

The latest COVID figures for Sweden are looking encouraging: deaths per day down to less than 20 compared to 100 in April. New cases per day are less than 500, down from the peak of 1000+ in June. These figures are also covered in this article from the Daily Telegraph from 11th July: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/11/second-wave-covid-swedish-approach-will-have-right-along/.

Sweden seems to be doing better than the USA in controlling the virus and better than the UK on the economy.

Being "better" than the USA or UK is nothing to be proud of when it comes to Covid. Norway, Denmark and Japan are more like the countries you want to be using as good examples.
    Sweden has a completely different population density to the UK.

When this kicked off a Swedish friend of mine half-joked "keep 2 metres apart . . . why do they want us to get closer to each other than normal?"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Eagles, I caught a tiny bit of news the other day which addressed this (it was BBC Outside Source on the News Channel, around 9pm). Apparently people will be able to get infected again but with reduced or maybe no symptoms. It sounded like the problem won't be so much getting it a second time for the individual but that they can then pass it on and infect others.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    This is why most Tories are so relaxed. Sunak is a cut above Starmer on ability, intelligence and making a connection with the public and I think they have someone who can win in 2024. Do Labour have anyone capable of replacing Starmer that can win a majority or even become PM with an SNP coalition? I'm scratching my head but no one comes to mind.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I caught a tiny bit of news the other day which addressed this (it was BBC Outside Source on the News Channel, around 9pm). Apparently people will be able to get infected again but with reduced or maybe no symptoms. It sounded like the problem won't be so much getting it a second time for the individual but that they can then pass it on and infect others.

Thanks.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I was busy this weekend but am I right that if the studies show that those who have had Covid-19 have a short immunity period from Covid-19 then herd immunity is non starter?

There's got to be a lot more research done into t-cell immunity before we can say that it's true. Antibodies will naturally decrease but if there is t-cell immunity then they will recognise the pathogen and produce new antibodies on demand.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited July 2020

Non-affected carriers. The return of Typhoid Mary.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

There's got to be a lot more research done into t-cell immunity before we can say that it's true. Antibodies will naturally decrease but if there is t-cell immunity then they will recognise the pathogen and produce new antibodies on demand.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

eristdoof said:

FPT

fox327 said:

Sweden has a completely different population density to the UK.

When this kicked off a Swedish friend of mine half-joked "keep 2 metres apart . . . why do they want us to get closer to each other than normal?"
    Indeed.
    Sweden is doing far worse than its surrounding and comparable countries for deaths - and worse as well in terms of the economy.

Glossing over that and trying to create a false equivalence is dishonest. It may not be intentional dishonesty; it may be part of dishonesty aimed at convincing oneself, of course.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Curse of the new thread, so I'm going straight off topic to talk about masks in Scouseland:

We 'locked down' about a week earlier than Boris' announcement as wife had developed a cough (asthma related but hey ho). Since then trips out have been limited but my wife has been determined to get back to 'normal' (Whilst also not getting back to normal) as soon as restrictions were lifted.

Generally we went out once a day.
    Social distancing - patchy at best. Haven't seen a single male under the age of 23 follow it at all (went to the park once with daughter. Saw teenage lads meeting up and shaking hands, that sort of stuff). Females tend to be better than males.

Supermarkets - Very good queuing up, but once in its pretty much a free for all. Local Sainsbury's doesn't even have a one way system. Tesco in Formby pretty good. Asda in Aintree bloody awful. No attempts at social distancing or one way at all.

Liverpool ONE - went there on Sunday. Wife has said, never again. One way system in place, but completely ignored - it was so bad I did wonder if it would be better if we did the opposite of what was marked as it almost seemed a typical 'we've been asked to do this, so we'll do the opposite' sort of reaction by other shoppers. Shop staff either not wearing masks or (hilariously) only covering mouth (so leaving nose exposed). I think I saw only two other people wearing a mask in the 45 minutes we were in Liverpool ONE.

Mask wearing has been awful. Probably about 20% (tops) during April, it seems to have actually dropped in the last few weeks, though today is better.

Gullivers World in Warrington requires mask wearing(!) on rides. Though young lads take them off as soon as they get on the rides, and certainly aren't doing any of that social distancing malarky.

Don't follow local cases anymore, but I'm told most local hospitals are now Covid-19 free (certainly Arrowe Park on the Wirral is).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Having just checked Google and Ecosia, it would appear that I can lay claim to the term 'cultural maskism'.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited July 2020
    Broken down by vote at the last general election however Tory voters still prefer Johnson to Sunak by 59% to 30%.

Labour voters though prefer Sunak to Johnson by 51% to 22%, SNP voters prefer Sunak to Johnson by 49% to 15% and LDs prefer Sunak to Johnson by 50% to 22%.

Yet those same Labour voters prefer Starmer to Sunak by 63% to 19%, SNP voters prefer Starmer to Sunak 59% to 23% and LD voters prefer Starmer to Sunak 46% to 31%.

That is little different to the 64% of Labour voters who prefer Starmer to Johnson, the 53% of SNP voters who prefer Starmer to Johnson and the 58% of LD voters who prefer Starmer to Johnson. 77% of Tory voters prefer Johnson to Starmer, slightly more than the 69% of Tory voters who prefer Sunak to Starmer
    https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-uk-voting-intention-8-july/
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    On topic of course Sunak is popular. He is hosing out money and currently suggesting that people won't have to pay it back. There's a long way to go before an election so the "ha, we're in the lead" crew should park it as irrelevant.

With Labour back to sanity (albeit dull sanity) there are two things that will lose it for the Tories regardless of whomever is leader by then - the Rona and Brexit. There are signs of the impact on both turning sharply negative, and thats before the money runs out for furlough as the infection rate goes up, and before the impacts of the grotesque chaos of a Conservative government, a CONSERVATIVE government scuttling round the country trying business up in costs and red tape.

Brexit remains the elephant in the room. All we've had so far is spin and bluster. As we pass through the event horizon of the supply chain grinding to a halt with shortages and big price rises all of the x compared to y politician rankings will change.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

It's a headline that doesn't match the article though. You don't have all antibodies for everything hanging round your system.

It's your ability to generate antibodies that is important. Of course people have less antibodies over time.
  • Options
    Tory MPs not happy lol
  • Options

On topic of course Sunak is popular. He is hosing out money and currently suggesting that people won't have to pay it back. There's a long way to go before an election so the "ha, we're in the lead" crew should park it as irrelevant.

With Labour back to sanity (albeit dull sanity) there are two things that will lose it for the Tories regardless of whomever is leader by then - the Rona and Brexit. There are signs of the impact on both turning sharply negative, and thats before the money runs out for furlough as the infection rate goes up, and before the impacts of the grotesque chaos of a Conservative government, a CONSERVATIVE government scuttling round the country trying business up in costs and red tape.

Brexit remains the elephant in the room. All we've had so far is spin and bluster. As we pass through the event horizon of the supply chain grinding to a halt with shortages and big price rises all of the x compared to y politician rankings will change.

Once we are through the event horizon if the UK is growing and recovering post COVID and post Brexit as well or better than our continental neighbours do you think you might accept that Brexit wasn't as bad as you feared?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It's a headline that doesn't match the article though. You don't have all antibodies for everything hanging round your system.

It's your ability to generate antibodies that is important. Of course people have less antibodies over time.
    Indeed, it feels like one of those unnecessarily alarmist headlines designed to generate controversy and media theatre for the research team. I saw the lead researcher give an interview yesterday and not a single question about research into rapid antibody production by the body in response to a second infection. The scientific literacy of our media and politicians has been shown to be lamentably poor this crisis.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    HYUFD said:

Broken down by vote at the last general election however Tory voters still prefer Johnson to Sunak by 59% to 30%.

Labour voters though prefer Sunak to Johnson by 51% to 22%, SNP voters prefer Sunak to Johnson by 49% to 15% and LDs prefer Sunak to Johnson by 50% to 22%.

Yet those same Labour voters prefer Starmer to Sunak by 63% to 19%, SNP voters prefer Starmer to Sunak 59% to 23% and LD voters prefer Starmer to Sunak 46% to 31%.

That is little different to the 64% of Labour voters who prefer Starmer to Johnson, the 53% of SNP voters who prefer Starmer to Johnson and the 58% of LD voters who prefer Starmer to Johnson. 77% of Tory voters prefer Johnson to Starmer, slightly more than the 69% of Tory voters who prefer Sunak to Starmer

Interesting. So if it were Sunak v Johnson v Starmer it would be Rishi as most people's second choice?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Up to a point.
    Here's nothing particularly wrong with the paper you're talking about (though I don't think it studied T cell response in the same individuals), but the conclusions people are drawing are way too definitive.
    Some comment below:

https://twitter.com/MarkSlifka/status/1282889518316580864

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1282657959026331648

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Jim O'Neil on radio 4 now (effectively) arguing that it has not been explained properly, as people aren't seeing the massive trade consequences.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973
    https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1282980588048257024?s=20

'Muzzles' and 'face nappies'; the laid back, common sense of so-called libertarians just staying calm and carrying on should be an inspiration to us all.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,474

Jim O'Neil on radio 4 now (effectively) arguing that it has not been explained properly, as people aren't seeing the massive trade consequences.
    Trade with China is not the most important thing in life.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186

Once we are through the event horizon if the UK is growing and recovering post COVID and post Brexit as well or better than our continental neighbours do you think you might accept that Brexit wasn't as bad as you feared?
    The only way that happens is utter capitulation to the EU so that we remain defacto members of the EEA and CU. I'd be delighted, but I'll believe it when I see it. If we try and operate a border the brexiteers are in for a horrible shock. As voters in Ashford are already finding out.
  • Options

Tory MPs not happy lol

Expect amendments to that 2027 date and the addition of 4G, 3G and 2G to the ban. The rebels have their tails up and the numbers are growing due to the polling seen above, soft on China is a vote loser.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting. So if it were Sunak v Johnson v Starmer it would be Rishi as most people's second choice?
    He could become PM under AV yes, under FPTP Tories still prefer Boris and Labour and LD and SNP voters still prefer Starmer
  • Options
    Because the US sanctions only affect future equipment, the government does not believe there is a security justification for removing 2G, 3G and 4G equipment supplied by Huawei.

So the whole thing is a complete fucking waste of time and won't make any difference. This Government is hopeless
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,474
    HYUFD said:

It's as if those voters are pro-Sunak as a way of being anti-Johnson.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited July 2020

Why would it worry him? If Rishi succeeds, then the economy will do well and Boris will take the credit. If he fails, Boris will look bad, but then so will Rishi. Wise Chancellors don't spend their every waking moment looking to undermine the PM, as the Teebee-Geebees psychodrama proved.

If the poll was "is Sunak doing a good job as Chancellor?" I'd agree with you - having popular ministers isn't a bad thing at all as PM at all. It tends to reflect well on a team captain or manager if other team members are playing well.

But the poll is "best PM". So quite a few people appear to be saying "the Government as a whole isn't doing well, but the minister I see as most competent could probably do a better job managing it than the PM."

Look at it this way - if the prevailing view was that Sunak is an effective member of an effective Government, the natural response would be, "Great! So Johnson is best PM, and Sunak is best Chancellor... let's keep it all as it is, and long may it continue!" But that isn't what quite a few are saying.

Cricket is a good analogy here. The captain very often isn't the best player, and nobody gives a fig about it if the team is winning. As soon as it isn't, though, and it starts to look like lions led by a donkey, the calls come for the captain to be replaced with one of the star players.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

FPT

You are obsessing about R as millions stand to lose their jobs and our country goes bankrupt in short order.

Imagine the worst possible economic situation for the UK. Its worse than that.

If only we'd locked down earlier, the damage to the economy- and the death toll- would have been much lower.
    I'm not remotely convinced by that.

Many countries that prematurely locked down are now really struggling. South Africa is an example, they were praised for locking down swiftly and their excess death toll was negative while ours was at its peak . . . but now they're suffering and entering a peak as we are exiting our lockdown.
    Why do you think that is? I can see three options that make sense:

1. They lifted the lockdown in an unsafe way, which we're not going to do. In that case, we presumably also wouldn't have lifted the lockdown in an unsafe way if we'd entered it two weeks earlier, so the only difference is we'd have saved tens of thousands of lives.

2. They lifted the lockdown in an unsafe way, which we're also going to do- perhaps because it's inherently impossible to lift lockdown to the extent that we want to safely. In that case, the fact that we haven't hit our second peak yet doesn't mean we're doing better than them, it just means we're slower.

3. For some other reason, the trajectory of the virus has just been different in the two countries and lockdown has affected it in different ways. In that case, we shouldn't be comparing them.

Lockdown can only be maintained for a certain period of time and can flatten the peak and help with containment but can not be a way of life. So countries that prematurely lockdown have risked using up their lockdown period where it wasn't required only to then see the virus enter their society which now has no herd immunity and is already frustrated with lockdown restrictions, thus seeing a surge in cases post-lockdown.

However in countries that delayed lockdown and 'flattened the curve' after lockdown restrictions are lifted there is a much greater herd immunity effect so that even if there isn't full herd immunity it is easier to keep R down to below 1.

see also a selection of US states.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Up to a point.
    Here's nothing particularly wrong with the paper you're talking about (though I don't think it studied T cell response in the same individuals), but the conclusions people are drawing are way too definitive.
    Some comment below:

https://twitter.com/MarkSlifka/status/1282889518316580864

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1282657959026331648

Thank you, I'll have a read of that.

Thanks also to @Alistair
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Never mind the trade, I wonder how many people would support it if they were told their bills will be going up to pay for it?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

'Muzzles' and 'face nappies'; the laid back, common sense of so-called libertarians just staying calm and carrying on should be an inspiration to us all.

Remind me again. Are these the people who advise whiney snowflakes to "man up"?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

Expect amendments to that 2027 date and the addition of 4G, 3G and 2G to the ban. The rebels have their tails up and the numbers are growing due to the polling seen above, soft on China is a vote loser.
    There's also another elephant in the room.

If we don't want the Chinese involved in our mobile and fixed broadband future do we really want them involved in building our nuclear power stations?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Those who most went on about snowflakes are turning out to be the greatest snowflakes of them all.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Trade with China is not the most important thing in life.
    Exports to China will be impacted, we will import things as before as China isn't stupid...

And as only exports will be impacted I doubt 99% of the population will notice.
  • Options
    If you want to ban Huawei then fine - but you need to remove all 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, FTTC, FTTP, routers and other equipment.

If you don't remove all of that, it's pointless. Huawei are within hundreds of metres of most homes, if they want your Internet traffic they have a way in.

The Government doesn't have a clue what it's doing. This plan was not drawn up with any knowhow of how the country actually runs.
  • Options

Because the US sanctions only affect future equipment, the government does not believe there is a security justification for removing 2G, 3G and 4G equipment supplied by Huawei.

So the whole thing is a complete fucking waste of time and won't make any difference. This Government is hopeless

They are right on this. There is not security issue, in the sense of backdoors and the like, it's an issue for the future as the US does everything it can to limit Huawei's ability to operate by cutting off access to technology suppliers of all sorts. So current kit works, and doesn't seem to be any worse from a security point of view than the alternatives, of which there are few. Getting rid of that existing kit would cost a lot of money, and likely make security worse as we'd be more dedendent on fewer suppliers.

It will be time to replace legacy and broadband Huawei equipment when it is at its end-of-life and hopefully there are some alternatives to the likes of Nokia and Ericsson.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

That COULD be the case, and people who say they like Sunak may not be prepared to vote for him.

However, swing voters do still exist and it could also be that a lot of those people are saying "I'm Labour now... but call me back if Sunak is Tory leader, as I like him better than Johnson". i.e. it may not be a Machiavellian response to undermine Johnson but a genuine view Sunak would be more likely to get their vote.
  • Options

Those who most went on about snowflakes are turning out to be the greatest snowflakes of them all.
    A fair number of people have already gone for the Toby Young wearing a face nappy would stop him talking crap so I'll just repeat it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Indeed, it feels like one of those unnecessarily alarmist headlines designed to generate controversy and media theatre for the research team. I saw the lead researcher give an interview yesterday and not a single question about research into rapid antibody production by the body in response to a second infection. The scientific literacy of our media and politicians has been shown to be lamentably poor this crisis.
    It is, to be fair, a complicated question, and neither virologists nor immunologists really know for certain to what extent prior infection generates long term immunity (or indeed if you can get re-infected, how severe or mild that infection is likely to be).
    For now, we just don't have enough data.

So mere journalists have little or no clue (me, too).
  • Options

If you want to ban Huawei then fine - but you need to remove all 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, FTTC, FTTP, routers and other equipment.

If you don't remove all of that, it's pointless. Huawei are within hundreds of metres of most homes, if they want your Internet traffic they have a way in.

The Government doesn't have a clue what it's doing. This plan was not drawn up with any knowhow of how the country actually runs.

What network is still running a 2G network?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I thought it was an issue for 5G because Huawei were the only provider? The other technologies, less so.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

If we don't want the Chinese involved in our mobile and fixed broadband future do we really want them involved in building our nuclear power stations?
    Financing, not building I think ?

(Though it would have been a damn sight cheaper if the government had just borrowed the money on its own account.)
  • Options
    RobD said:

I thought it was an issue for 5G because Huawei were the only provider? The other technologies, less so.
    Huawei were the first with 5G solutions and have a number of the patents..
  • Options
    eek said:

EE, Vodafone, and O2 do, as do a lot of the MVNOs.

A lot of things like alarm systems use 2G sims.
  • Options

The only way that happens is utter capitulation to the EU so that we remain defacto members of the EEA and CU. I'd be delighted, but I'll believe it when I see it. If we try and operate a border the brexiteers are in for a horrible shock. As voters in Ashford are already finding out.
    What if you're wrong?

If we operate a border, Ashford gets its lorry park, but the UK macroeconomic situation ends up as good or better than our continental neighbours in the next few years.

Would you be able to accept then that you were wrong?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
  • Options
    eek said:

All of them. Except Three which launched as 3G.
  • Options

Have you not seen the news? That is exactly what the government is doing. Ordering all that equipped needs to be replaced by 2027.
  • Options
    eek said:

RobD said:

Huawei were the first with 5G solutions and have a number of the patents..
    Thanks. I recall reading that the trade off was between security concerns and the economic cost of not having 5G as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

Financing, not building I think ?

(Though it would have been a damn sight cheaper if the government had just borrowed the money on its own account.)
    The piece I read in the Sunday Times a while back said the Chinese would be financing Hinckley Point but they'd still see all the plans so would have detailed knowledge of the station.

Also the China General Nuclear Power Corporation also hopes to build a nuclear reactor at Bradwell in Essex.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2020
    RobD said:

How's that relevant? Huawei provide some of the infrastructure for 2G, 3G and 4G. The fact there are competitors doesn't matter, unless providers are forced to remove Huawei equipment there too.

It doesn't resolve the issue anyway, most FTTC cabinets are Huawei, I suspect your Internet service is being provided over Huawei equipment unless you use Virgin Media.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

Given the price point of wind do we even want nuclear power stations at that strike price.

Seems like wind plus Tesla style storage should be cheaper than that white elephant.
  • Options
    Well he did talk about the manners of English people being better than Scots*, plus lets face it, some Scots refuse to wear shirts in cold weather, what chance of them wearing masks?

*Except he didn't.
  • Options

RobD said:

How's that relevant? Huawei provide some of the infrastructure for 2G, 3G and 4G. The fact there are competitors doesn't matter, unless providers are forced to remove Huawei equipment there too.

It doesn't resolve the issue anyway, most FTTC cabinets are Huawei, I suspect your Internet service is being provided over Huawei equipment unless you use Virgin Media.
    How is it relevant? They will provide all of the 5G infrastructure because no one else provides it. That isn't the same for the other technologies where it may be used more at the periphery.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

I was reading in the times that the rebels have got one eye on that as well and most of them don't much like the idea of Hinkley Point C anyway so if removing the Chinese from the equation kills the whole project it's a double win.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

Why would it worry him? If Rishi succeeds, then the economy will do well and Boris will take the credit. If he fails, Boris will look bad, but then so will Rishi. Wise Chancellors don't spend their every waking moment looking to undermine the PM, as the Teebee-Geebees psychodrama proved.

If the poll was "is Sunak doing a good job as Chancellor?" I'd agree with you - having popular ministers isn't a bad thing at all as PM at all. It tends to reflect well on a team captain or manager if other team members are playing well.

But the poll is "best PM". So quite a few people appear to be saying "the Government as a whole isn't doing well, but the minister I see as most competent could probably do a better job managing it than the PM."

Look at it this way - if the prevailing view was that Sunak is an effective member of an effective Government, the natural response would be, "Great! So Johnson is best PM, and Sunak is best Chancellor... let's keep it all as it is, and long may it continue!" But that isn't what quite a few are saying.

Cricket is a good analogy here. The captain very often isn't the best player, and nobody gives a fig about it if the team is winning. As soon as it isn't, though, and it starts to look like lions led by a donkey, the calls come for the captain to be replaced with one of the star players.
    Quite right. Mike Brearley never really deserved his place in the team on merit, but he led a winning team. But when the star of the team (Botham) took over, it was a bit of a disaster.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

We don't really know, and I would be wary of stories in the press about this, written by non-scientist journo's, who think the scientific method is a 1980's retrosynth band. It is most likely that there will be some immunity after surviving an infection, but that immunity will drop with time. My hunch is that a vaccine may need to be an every year event, rather than every three months. We haven't had a deluge of people being infected twice yet, although this is hard to gauge as most people in the UK who have had Covid, didn't get a test back in March and April.
  • Options

Have you not seen the news? That is exactly what the government is doing. Ordering all that equipped needs to be replaced by 2027.
    They are not ordering Huawei cabinets to be removed for FTTC, nor 2G, 3G or 4G.

Not my problem you can't read, or don't know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973

Well he did talk about the manners of English people being better than Scots*, plus lets face it, some Scots refuse to wear shirts in cold weather, what chance of them wearing masks?

*Except he didn't.
    If ever someone could provide benefit to the general populace and himself by covering up a good portion of his face..
  • Options

Because there is less of a security concern there? I doubt they are particularly bothered if the Chinese can read what you are doing online.
  • Options
    Based on some professional analysis, the mobile networks that are most impacted by this news is EE/BT Mobile.

Least impacted O2/Vodafone but with Cornerstone unwind, Vodafone might also be severely impacted going forward.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

How is it relevant? They will provide all of the 5G infrastructure because no one else provides it. That isn't the same for the other technologies where it may be used more at the periphery.
    But other providers do provide 5G equipment, what are you blabbering on about now? Ericsson, Nokia, to name just two.

Being used as the literal basis for which you receive your Internet connection means that Huawei is as close to the data of people living here as it is possible to be.

Walk down the road to your nearest cabinet, it's almost certainly Huawei. All your Internet traffic is running through it.

To remove Huawei equipment for 5G does very little to alleviate security concerns. To remove Huawei everywhere, from 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, FTTC, FTTP is the only solution.

You argue from a point of view where it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

I worked for the big red telecoms provider for many years.
  • Options
    Some good economic news. Partner's business, having gone entirely Online, is booming. She declared herself full today, and will now only take on new clients on a one in one out basis. She's thinking of putting her prices up for new people too. It is the same across her sector. Everyone working at or near capacity. Not needing office space has hugely increased profitability too (she rented space by the hour, not on contract).
    Bad news. Her business is psychotherapy...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

But other providers do provide 5G equipment, what are you blabbering on about now? Ericsson, Nokia, to name just two.

Being used as the literal basis for which you receive your Internet connection means that Huawei is as close to the data of people living here as it is possible to be.

Walk down the road to your nearest cabinet, it's almost certainly Huawei. All your Internet traffic is running through it.

To remove Huawei equipment for 5G does very little to alleviate security concerns. To remove Huawei everywhere, from 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, FTTC, FTTP is the only solution.

You argue from a point of view where it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

A few months ago the concern was all about the use of the equipment in the core of the network. Who really cares about what is passing through the cabinet down the end of your street?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,250
    RobD said:

Because there is less of a security concern there? I doubt they are particularly bothered if the Chinese can read what you are doing online.
    The issue is as such political as technical.

If you go with Huawei for 5G, then they are locked in for that and the next generation beyond (6G is already in the planning stages) probably.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    RobD said:

No blackmail opportunities?
  • Options
    RobD said:

What's the difference in security concern?

They read your traffic if you're using 5G, they read your traffic if you're using 4G. They read your traffic if you're using FTTC.

There is no difference in security concern. Huawei have your data (or the ability to collect it), from multiple points. Removing 5G is one, it is not an important one.

4G is far more widely used - as is FTTC.

Again, you're arguing clearly from an ignorant POV.
  • Options

RobD said:

They read your traffic if you're using 5G, they read your traffic if you're using 4G. They read your traffic if you're using FTTC.

There is no difference in security concern. Huawei have your data (or the ability to collect it), from multiple points. Removing 5G is one, it is not an important one.

I'm saying no one cares about your internet traffic.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

A few months ago the concern was all about the use of the equipment in the core of the network. Who really cares about what is passing through the cabinet down the end of your street?
    Vodafone don't even use Huawei in the core of the network, they're still being asked to remove it from the RAN.

Your argument is baseless and nonsensical. From a technical POV, if they're forcing removal from the RAN, the equipment should also be removed from the FTTC access network. In effect they are the same thing. They're both an end point to which your data travels to/from.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

And yet Huawei is being removed from the RAN, which isn't even the core network. So what are the security concerns if not from traffic travelling through?
  • Options

Based on some professional analysis, the mobile networks that are most impacted by this news is EE/BT Mobile.

Least impacted O2/Vodafone but with Cornerstone unwind, Vodafone might also be severely impacted going forward.

Vodafone (whom I used to work for), removed Huawei from the core network and limited its use in the RAN, in expectation of this announcement.
  • Options
    If the argument for removing Huawei was removing it from the critical core, it would make sense.

But to force removal from the RAN and then not also force removal from the FTTC, FTTP networks is completely nonsensical and contradictory.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

That COULD be the case, and people who say they like Sunak may not be prepared to vote for him.

However, swing voters do still exist and it could also be that a lot of those people are saying "I'm Labour now... but call me back if Sunak is Tory leader, as I like him better than Johnson". i.e. it may not be a Machiavellian response to undermine Johnson but a genuine view Sunak would be more likely to get their vote.
    The poll shows 19% of Labour voters and 31% of LD voters prefer Sunak to Starmer and 23% of SNP voters prefer Sunak to Starmer. However 20% of Labour voters prefer Boris to Starmer ie more than prefer Sunak and the same is true for SNP voters where 26% prefer Boris to Starmer, however more LDs prefer Sunak to Starmer than prefer Boris to Starmer as only 26% of them prefer Boris to Starmer.

Given 77% of Tories prefer Boris to Starmer but only 69% of Tories prefer Sunak to Starmer that suggests the only net gains Sunak would make for the Tories over Boris would be with LDs but he risks losing some Tory voters to the Brexit Party or Labour
  • Options
    There's nothing special about 5G from a security POV, not in the way it is being deployed in the UK. So to force removal of Huawei equipment for 5G and not 4G (the latter being the basis of 5G anyway, right now the transmit is provided over 4G) seems very odd indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

I was reading in the times that the rebels have got one eye on that as well and most of them don't much like the idea of Hinkley Point C anyway so if removing the Chinese from the equation kills the whole project it's a double win.
    It is until you ask them what will fill the gap on a winter's night without wind...
  • Options

Sorry I was wrong. The way Sky were talking about it before made it sound like that was the decision.
  • Options

Sorry I was wrong. The way Sky were talking about it before made it sound like that was the decision.
    If it was the decision I would be welcoming it. But because it isn't, the Government approach makes no sense.

I am for the first time, in agreement with the Tory rebels.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

It is until you ask them what will fill the gap on a winter's night without wind...
    Stored wind energy is likely to be cheaper than that strike price 365 days a year for decades.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

And yet Huawei is being removed from the RAN, which isn't even the core network. So what are the security concerns if not from traffic travelling through?
    There are no real security concerns in the sense you mean. The problem isn't security in the sense of surveillance, but the security of the network from failures and disruption because the supplier is unable to supply kit promptly and to the expected standard because the US government is trying to shut them down.

Here's an imperfect analogy. We wouldn't want to buy medicines from a company that is deliberately contaminating them, but we also wouldn't want to buy medicines from a company that is having trouble fulfilling orders. That latter is the issue with Huawei, or at least it will be if the US goverment has its way.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Is this publicly available professional analysis?
  • Options
    glw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

There are no real security concerns in the sense you mean. The problem isn't security in the sense of surveillance, but the security of the network from failures and disruption because the supplier is unable to supply kit promptly and to the expected standard because the US government is trying to shut them down.
    If Huawei want to cause a hell of a lot of disruption, shut down all the FTTC cabinets and the majority of the country is kicked off the Internet.
  • Options

I've heard the bigger worry is that the UK removing Huawei will bring irresistible pressure on NATO allies to follow suit and what might be a £1.5bn bill for Vodafone and BT turns into a €20bn bill for European telecoms companies. Vodafone are less exposed in the UK than they are in Germany, their German network is mostly Huawei based and they would need to spend billions on ripping it all out and selling for pennies to the pound on the secondary markets.

Additionally if the Tory rebels succeed in backporting this advice to 2G, 3G and 4G a £1.5bn bill for BT and Vodafone turns into a £3.5bn bill and if the date is set to 2024 it turns into a £5.5bn bill or the same £3.5bn with signal dropouts in rural areas for 4-5 years. If Europe follows suit on the 2G, 3G and 4G removal of Huawei and sets an aggressive date it will cost legitimately tens of billions to get it done and there will be a huge shortage of non-Huawei equipment that meets the requirements. The telecoms industry feels that they need to halt this here in the UK or they face a decade of new investment and no profits for basically what they see as no gain because it doesn't get them anything better than what they have now.
  • Options

Is this publicly available professional analysis?
    No.

However the FT did do some analysis of their own back in January which gives a pretty good clue.

Britain’s four mobile network operators — EE, O2, Three and Vodafone — have launched 5G services in the past six months, all using Huawei kit.

The cap on Huawei use will be of most concern to BT, owner of EE, which will have to diversify its range of suppliers when installing 5G equipment over the next three years in order to comply with the rule.

About two-thirds of EE’s 4G network runs over Huawei antennas and base stations, and BT said it was reviewing the potential cost of complying with the cap. BT’s Openreach division, which is responsible for its fixed-line infrastructure, has relied on Huawei equipment for much of the early build of its full-fibre network....

... Openreach is at risk of being in breach of the cap in three years' time and it is preparing to use more Nokia equipment, as well as issuing a tender for a third supplier.

Vodafone has also been a big user of Huawei’s equipment outside of the core of its 5G network, but a spokesman said it expects to be compliant with the cap by autumn.

Vodafone and EE could be forced to diversify their suppliers in towns and cities in particular...

... The government will apply the 35 per cent market share cap on Huawei to 5G data traffic flows, meaning that mobile network operators that planned to use the Chinese company’s kit predominantly in highly populated areas such as London and Manchester may have to use more Ericsson and Nokia equipment.

Three had picked Huawei as sole supplier of radio equipment — such as antennas and base stations — for its 5G network. The company, which is owned by CK Hutchison, will need to sign a contract with a second supplier to comply with the Huawei cap as it rolls out its 5G network.

O2 has said it will use kit from Ericsson and Nokia for the roll out of its 5G network.

https://www.ft.com/content/3366b9e6-428d-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c
  • Options

glw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

If Huawei want to cause a hell of a lot of disruption, shut down all the FTTC cabinets and the majority of the country is kicked off the Internet.
    Rather disproves their own point that they don't have the power to do that though and would essentially bankrupt them overnight as nations rush to remove them from absolutely everything.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I think the herd immunity aspect is a red herring here- UK has 290k recorded cases. Even if that's a 10th of the real cases we're talking a tiny proportion of the population, not enough to make any real impact on infection rates. Plus the length of immunity isn't yet settled science, so you're counting your chickens early.

So putting that aside, what you're describing is my scenario 2., that there's no safe way to exit lockdown and our cases will inevitably skyrocket like SA's. In that case, we haven't benefited from locking down late, all it means is that our second peak is delayed a little, not that we're going to avoid it.

Also, I think your model of having a single, hard lockdown, which then gets lifted and we return to normal is wrong. For one thing, there are several things that can happen during lockdown which lead to an improvement even after it's lifted. Masks and hand sanitizer are now much more available than they were. There's been time for messaging about safety (hand washing, masks indoors, social distancing) to settle in during lockdown. Many offices have been reconfigured to allow people to work distanced from each other. Etc. This would all have happened in an earlier lockdown too. There's also test-and-trace which is more effective the fewer cases there are, so an earlier lockdown would have actually lead to a lower R after lockdown was lifted.

And the other thing is that the need to reopen quickly is in part because of the length and hardness of the lockdown. If we'd locked down earlier, we could have partially reopened much sooner, and then remained in that partial-reopen state much longer, which would have managed economic damage while keeping R to safe levels.
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

Tidal barrages are the future for an island nation like ours.
  • Options

glw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sure, but that's potentially true of any supplier. The solution is certainly not to become even more dependent on two main suppliers. Which is basically what would happen if we ripped out everything Huawei ASAP.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Tory MPs not happy lol

Tidal barrages are the future for an island nation like ours.
    If only a government had ignored pressure from MPs and dropped the trials...
This discussion has been closed.