Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lincoln Project’s response to Trump’s pardon of convicted

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Let's have a PB contest about the best songs about towns!

My top 5

Baker Street: London
    White Boy With a Feather: New York
    Molly Malone: Dublin
    Chelsea Morning: New York
    Babylon: London

Which tells me all the best songs are about London or New York. But I may be biassed

Randy Newman's Baltimore is pretty cool.
    Does Werewolves of London count?
    Werewolves definitely counts. Especially because it is about the weirdness of London written by a quintessential west coast singer songwriter

Desperadoes Under the Eaves (by Zevon of course) is a great song about LA, as is Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan
    LA has inspired quite a few great songs:

Drinking in LA
    Bran Van 2000

Open Up
    Leftfield

England (which is about the juxtaposition between London and Los Angeles)
    The National

Sheryl Crowe
    All I Want to Do

And every single song the Doors ever wrote.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

The Lincoln Project is made up of former Tea Partiers, who have clearly decided that their political project has nothing to fear from a Biden presidency.

I wonder if in four years the GOP will be running somebody who's even more of a maniac than Trump and people like Mike will be celebrating ads by "principled" Trump supporters saying that this next candidate is a bridge too far.

That's a far more interesting question.

How do "populist" parties respond when they are no longer popular?

Normally, when a Party loses power after a longer or shorter period in office, it has two options, either, to maintain its position and hope the electorate comes back to it or to change its position to move to where the electorate now is (or where the Party thinks it is).

You'd think that process would be easy but it isn't and it can take parties out of power a long time to realise a) they aren't in power any more and b) how they are going to get back into power.
    The problem the Republican Party has is that its more moderate supporters - the people who register as Republicans and then vote in primaries - have left them. It's not inconceivable that (if Trump wins again this year) that less than a quarter of voters will be registered Republicans by the end of 2024. And the smaller in number (and more fanatical and intellectually pure) the supporter base, the harder it is to tack away from extreme positions.
    Can you explain why Republican (closed) primaries have seen healthy turnout despite it being essentially uncontested this year?
    For exactly that reason: you have 80% of Registered Republicans being enthused with President Trump. And I mean, genuinely enthused. For the first time, they haven't had to compromise with the left of their party, and they have their man.
    But you just claimed "moderate" Republicans, "the people who register as Republicans and then vote in primaries", have left them. So that doesn't explain how Trump has been getting contested-election level turnout unless you're claiming Trump supporters have registered R. Do registrations indicate this?

Many people who have left the Republicans over the years to become Independents are not "moderates", hence why they swung to Trump in 2016.
    So, your contention is that the number of Republicans dropped because the Republican Party was insufficiently Trumpian.

Well, that should be easy enough to confirm. If it's true, then the number of Registered Republicans should have risen since Trump became President and/or Trump's standing with Independents should be better than his standing with the population as a whole.
    No, my contention is that Republican registration has been dropping over the years for a variety of reasons, but the idea that it mainly due to neocon "moderates" is clearly false otherwise Independents wouldn't have gone for Trump. Ardent Trump supporters are usually not fans of the Republican party machine anymore than they are of the Democrats, and have little reason to register R. "Independents" are quite heterogeneous, some are Trumpian social conservatives but some are very progressive left. Independents are largely those disaffected by Washington politics in general, they are not in general people who are happy with Washington politics. There are many reasons why they are not happy with Trump, not being a "moderate" isn't necessarily one of them.
    "Ardent Trump supporters are usually not fans of the Republican party".

If that is the case, why does Trump have such high ratings with the Republicans that remain?

You seem to be picturing this elite group of Trump supporters, who are not registered Republicans. Where is the evidence for this group? His approval is only 33% among Independents, and of this 33%, fewer than half "strongly approve", so, we're talking about -what- 15% of Independents, who are 30% of the electorate. That's a hardcore 4.5% of the electorate who aren't Republicans and love President Trump.

Also, why did you use the word "neocon"? Do you think that moderates are particularly keen on invading other countries? Is that something you have polling evidence for?

You also need to address the question of why the Democrats have lost far fewer of their registered supporters. (Granted, some of this is the natural tendency of parties in power to become narrower churches.)
    No, I'm explaining why there are plenty of non-Republicans who vote Trump but who don't register Republican. There is a reason Trump is generally leading R senators in polling. The point is actual Republican "moderates" in the party are not as anti-Trump as you think.

Not only would I be sceptical of Independents sub-samples right now, but you also need to factor in disapproving of Trump now is not the same as will not vote for Trump in November.

I used the word Neocon because it is the accurate term for the people you are describing as Republican moderates. The Never-Trumpers/Lincoln Project/etc are all tied to the Neocon faction. W Bush, Bolton, Bill Kristol, formerly McCain etc. Those are the people now being described as the "moderate" Republican old guard, often by the same people who used to call them racists, murderers etc.

I don't need to address why the Democrats have lost fewer because we are talking about the Republicans/Trump, the issues they face are not directly related.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Belfast Child
    Waterfront - Belfast or Glasgow??
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    Leicester look awful. Looks highly unlikely they will qualify for the CL.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,102
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

If Biden wins and the Dems retake the Senate and hold the House the GOP will almost certainly take at least the House in 2022 as they did in 2010 and as the Dems did in 2018

You're working on the "normal" assumption of things and you'd be right on that basis as was the case when the Dems captured the WH in 1992 and Gingrich's Republicans swept the House in 1994.

Is Trump's GOP the same Party as before or something different? Is it in effect little more than a cult of personality around the President and what happens to that once he is defeated and gone? Will the pro-Trump State and local leaders stay with the Party or will they be replaced by more "establishment" individuals who will revert the GOP to what it was pre-2016?

This is the question I've been posed - what happens to a populist party once it stops being popular? What is its raison d'etre?
    Trump is not the sole leader of the Republican party, just its candidate for President.

If he loses the House and Senate GOP leaders effectively become the party leaders and lead the opposition to the Biden White House and Democratic Congress
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,766
    edited July 2020

Poland 2020 - Dud is winning eastern Poland (except I'm guess for City of Warsaw) while Mayor T is winning in western Poland,

Note that most of the latter was part of Germany and mostly occupied by ethnic Germans before WWII. Also that this east-west split is typical Polish post-Communist political pattern,

Though paradoxically, Western Poland is mostly populated with the decesndents of Poles who left Soviet Ukraine and Belarus because of the post war borders. So West is East, and East is West...
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,631

Poland 2020 - Dud is winning eastern Poland (except I'm guess for City of Warsaw) while Mayor T is winning in western Poland,

Note that most of the latter was part of Germany and mostly occupied by ethnic Germans before WWII. Also that this east-west split is typical Polish post-Communist political pattern,

There is practically no trace of anything German left in that part of Poland.
    True. Most of population in former German East Prussia, Pomerania, Silesia consists of Poles whose kinfolk were re-located from parts of former Poland transferred to Soviet Union (now in Belarus & Ukraine) after WWII.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

LadyG said:

Only Living Boy In New York, of course

New York and London do really dominate

There's a surprising lack of great songs about Paris, or maybe they just don't pierce the Anglophone consciousness

Ghost Town is a good one, about Cov I think
    It's a great track
    I remember coming back from a cycling holiday in France to the news of the riots, with Ghost Town at number 1. Really the most perfect song for its time. Thatchers Britain at its trough.
    One of the most politically important British pop songs ever written. More potent than 10,000 speeches by anyone
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,535
    LadyG said:

Joe le taxi - Vanessa Paradis
    J’me voyais déjà - Charles Aznavour
    Paris en colère - Mireille Mathieu
    Lobo-hombre en Paris - La uniòn
    Les nuits parisiennes - Louise attaque

Those are all a bit shit, no offence mon cher

It it weird how the French never really grasped the art of popular song. Despite their mastery in so many other forms
    One of the things that used to happen up to the 80's was that, about once a year, a Euro-foreign song would break through into the British pop consciousness, like Joe le Taxi. And then, it stopped happening. Wonder why.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Foxy said:

Though paradoxically, Western Poland is mostly populated with the decesndents of Poles who left Soviet Ukraine and Belarus because of the post war borders. So West is East, and East is West...
    Yep. The west part is dynamic/mover society, the east is traditional/stayer society.
  • Options
    Poland 2020 - not all Poles have voted - reports say lines of Polish tourists still waiting to cast votes in Split, Croatia at Polish consulate.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Which tells me all the best songs are about London or New York. But I may be biassed

Galveston. That's immense.

EDIT - it's about Galveston in Texas.

EDIT again - "I can hear your sea wings blowing"
    Cracking song, by my favourite US reactionary muso. I believe Jimmy Webb was of a different politacal viewpoint from Glen, but there was a real synergy in their musical relationship. By the Time I get to Phoenix is another cracker.
    Yes, love lots of their songs. Webb wrote G as a downbeat protest song but Glayun turned it into a feelgood romantic ballad. And one has to say it works better like that.
    Tijuana: JJ Cale
    Jackson: Johnny Cash and June Carter
    London Calling: The Clash
    (New Orleans) Born on the Bayou: CCR
  • Options
    CORRECTION - figures I gave for US Polish diaspora BACKWARDS - still much narrower margin for Duda than expected
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,285
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Randy Newman's Baltimore is pretty cool.
    Does Werewolves of London count?
    Werewolves definitely counts. Especially because it is about the weirdness of London written by a quintessential west coast singer songwriter

Desperadoes Under the Eaves (by Zevon of course) is a great song about LA, as is Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan
    LA has inspired quite a few great songs:

Drinking in LA
    Bran Van 2000

Open Up
    Leftfield

England (which is about the juxtaposition between London and Los Angeles)
    The National

Sheryl Crowe
    All I Want to Do

I just discovered that Open Up is Leftfield and John Lydon.

I like it even more.
    If we moving on to songs that LA has inspired then Laurel Canyon inspired more singer/songwriters than this thread has got time to deal with!
  • Options
    One Night in Bangkok
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    For our Welsh friends.
    Wrexham, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll.
    Help Me Rhondda.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Might I propose Scarborough Fair and Up The Junction.
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Cracking song, by my favourite US reactionary muso. I believe Jimmy Webb was of a different politacal viewpoint from Glen, but there was a real synergy in their musical relationship. By the Time I get to Phoenix is another cracker.
    Yes, love lots of their songs. Webb wrote G as a downbeat protest song but Glayun turned it into a feelgood romantic ballad. And one has to say it works better like that.
    Hate to correct YOU, TimT, but songs about "the bayou" are NOT about New Orleans. Unless you think songs about the Romney marshes or Norfolk broads are about London!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

The National Anthem of Wales is beyond compare
  • Options

We may scrape it, but don't deserve it. We had great first half of the season, but have been crap since Christmas. Its only other teams also being crap or very inconsistent that has kept us in the top 4
  • Options
    There are lots of songs about London, which is unsurprising given it is by far the world’s greatest city.

Waterloo Sunset is a cliche but it’s as complete a love letter to London as you could find.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,352
    Foxy said:

We may scrape it, but don't deserve it. We had great first half of the season, but have been crap since Christmas. Its only other teams also being crap or very inconsistent that has kept us in the top 4
    Leicester v United just became a very big game
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I've had a nibble on Trzaskowski at 5.9 on Betfair. You'd fancy Duda to win, but factoring in the diaspora vote the exit poll seems to give him literally a 50.1% or so vote share. Now factor in his outperforming the 1st round exit poll and I agree he's favourite, but 5/1 seems a bit long.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    The Leaving of Liverpool
    Black Velvet Band (Belfast)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

Let's Aberystwyth again, like we did last summer...
  • Options
    Another day, another Government comms mess up on the unlocking.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1282412343486550018
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

You make me feel mighty Rhyl
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,528

True. Most of population in former German East Prussia, Pomerania, Silesia consists of Poles whose kinfolk were re-located from parts of former Poland transferred to Soviet Union (now in Belarus & Ukraine) after WWII.
    It is quite weird how thoroughly Prussia was removed from the map.

When visiting Poland, you find very small, odd traces from time to time.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883

There are lots of songs about London, which is unsurprising given it is by far the world’s greatest city.

Waterloo Sunset is a cliche but it’s as complete a love letter to London as you could find.

I suppose there are songs that mention towns and cities in the title and those which are more about the places themselves. As you say, Waterloo Sunset is brilliant on the latter level.

Ghost Town, like That's Entertainment, is so evocative of its time (the old zeitgeist again) but could be anywhere.

I'll offer my personal favourite and one I can listen to all day:

Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding.
  • Options

Except that most folks in the area annexed by the Soviets were either Belarussian or Ukrainian.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Hate to correct YOU, TimT, but songs about "the bayou" are NOT about New Orleans. Unless you think songs about the Romney marshes or Norfolk broads are about London!

TimT said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

I'll take the correction.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    Does anyone have a link to the official Poland election results?
  • Options

Except that most folks in the area annexed by the Soviets were either Belarussian or Ukrainian.
    The way in which new boundaries were invented, and then the various ethnic groups were shoved into place is quite staggering, when we look on it now. Creating "Truth On The Ground" indeed.
  • Options
    T for Tulsa

Angel from Montgomery - As in Montgomery, Alabama last resting place of Hank Williams Sr,

I Can Still Make Cheyenne

Rose of San Antone

Moon Over Miami - or the less-know Western WA version, "Moon Over Mukilteo"

Anchorage - "Anchored down in Anchorage"

Walkin' in Memphis
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

And

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

Carmarthen feel the noise.
  • Options
    In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus: Eins, zwei, g'suffa!
  • Options

One Night in Bangkok

"Siam's going to be the witness to the ultimate test of cerebral fitness."
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    HYUFD said:

Trump is not the sole leader of the Republican party, just its candidate for President.

If he loses the House and Senate GOP leaders effectively become the party leaders and lead the opposition to the Biden White House and Democratic Congress

The question isn't a mechanistic one - I know how it would work.

IF Trump is defeated, what happens to the GOP? How does it re-group and re-organise when it has been effectively the vehicle of one man's personal ambition since mid 2016?

There are Republicans who have remained with the Party but who will no doubt be glad to see the back of Donald J Trump and will want to "get their Party back". There are others, much like yourself with the Conservatives, who support the Party first and will do so irrespective of who is leader.

There may be conservatives who could join or re-join a post-Trump GOP but the key State and local organisations are now run by pro-Trump enthusiasts. Will these "go quietly" if their man is beaten or will they fight for his legacy or for Mike Pence in 2024?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758

Foxy said:

Leicester v United just became a very big game
    On current trajectories, it might be a dead rubber.
  • Options
    "Except that most folks in the area annexed by the Soviets were either Belarussian or Ukrainian."

True. However, east of Curzon Line there was a subtantial Polish minority, which was local majority in many cities such as Vilnius (Wilno in Polish); most of these folks survived the war (unlike Jewish neighbors) and were relocated to lands vacated by expelled Germans.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://wybory.gov.pl/prezydent20200628/pl/frekwencja/2/17/pl

if you use Google Chrome, the translate system does a pretty good job.

I understand that for actual results, we are looking at Monday, or even Tuesday.

I have heard it suggested that investing in election lawyers in Poland will be remunarative - there will be lots of challenges in the courts.

• Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 708
    From European Council on Foreign Relations post-election note:

Most of the country’s institutions have, over the past 5 years, become highly politicised and subordinated to the ruling party. This includes the Supreme Court, which will announce the final result of the election.

If the final results confirm Andrzej Duda winning by a very narrow margin, it is hard to imagine that PiS would let the power slip out of their hands. Electoral protests by Trzaskowski and his candidates may either be ignored or considered insufficient to impact the final result.

In turn, if it’s Trzaskowski who turns out to win by a very narrow margin, we can be sure that PiS will invest all its means to avoid Duda’s defeat: with electoral protests, recount of the vote, up to a nuclear option of repeating the election.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

https://wybory.gov.pl/prezydent20200628/pl/frekwencja/2/17/pl

if you use Google Chrome, the translate system does a pretty good job.

I understand that for actual results, we are looking at Monday, or even Tuesday.

I have heard it suggested that investing in election lawyers in Poland will be remunarative - there will be lots of challenges in the courts.

Thanks Malmesbury.
  • Options
    Contention that New York and London dominate songs about cities is only correct IF you have severe tunnel vision. As in Holland, Lincoln, Rotherhithe - that kind of tunnel.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,119

Is that the same Metro which told us that 36 areas were to be put into a second lockdown within a few days ?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    My fav songs with places

Luton Airport - Cats UK
    Devil went down to Georgia

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

Most of the country’s institutions have, over the past 5 years, become highly politicised and subordinated to the ruling party. This includes the Supreme Court, which will announce the final result of the election.

If the final results confirm Andrzej Duda winning by a very narrow margin, it is hard to imagine that PiS would let the power slip out of their hands. Electoral protests by Trzaskowski and his candidates may either be ignored or considered insufficient to impact the final result.

In turn, if it’s Trzaskowski who turns out to win by a very narrow margin, we can be sure that PiS will invest all its means to avoid Duda’s defeat: with electoral protests, recount of the vote, up to a nuclear option of repeating the election.

Sounds like the sort of thing Erdogan tried after losing a few down ballot races.
  • Options

"Except that most folks in the area annexed by the Soviets were either Belarussian or Ukrainian."

True. However, east of Curzon Line there was a subtantial Polish minority, which was local majority in many cities such as Vilnius (Wilno in Polish); most of these folks survived the war (unlike Jewish neighbors) and were relocated to lands vacated by expelled Germans.

Last Polish census for the areas annexed by Soviets in 1939:

37% Ukrainian
    36% Polish
    15% Belarusian
    10% Jewish
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

IF Trump is defeated, what happens to the GOP? How does it re-group and re-organise when it has been effectively the vehicle of one man's personal ambition since mid 2016?

There are Republicans who have remained with the Party but who will no doubt be glad to see the back of Donald J Trump and will want to "get their Party back". There are others, much like yourself with the Conservatives, who support the Party first and will do so irrespective of who is leader.

There may be conservatives who could join or re-join a post-Trump GOP but the key State and local organisations are now run by pro-Trump enthusiasts. Will these "go quietly" if their man is beaten or will they fight for his legacy or for Mike Pence in 2024?
    If Trump loses, the GOP will be a game of 52 card pickup.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,342

dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

The National Anthem of Wales is beyond compare
    Honestly, it’s not that bad.
  • Options

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1151669588808986624
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,765
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

Only Living Boy In New York, of course

New York and London do really dominate

There's a surprising lack of great songs about Paris, or maybe they just don't pierce the Anglophone consciousness

This is one of the greats. April in Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsNg6XB3dg
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    stodge said:

I suppose there are songs that mention towns and cities in the title and those which are more about the places themselves. As you say, Waterloo Sunset is brilliant on the latter level.

Ghost Town, like That's Entertainment, is so evocative of its time (the old zeitgeist again) but could be anywhere.

I'll offer my personal favourite and one I can listen to all day:

Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding.
    Song about Whitley Bay. Cracking.
  • Options
    Duda campaign threw everything including kitchen sink into this election. Including anti-semitic, anti-German, anti-gay, anti-whatever messages ad infinitum they think will appeal to the worst aspects of Polish politics, culture, society, mentality.

Methinksswing voters MAY have had enough of this constant stream of pigshit.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    All this time I thought Joni Mitchell's "Chelsea Morning" was referring to the London district.
  • Options

Repeating the election ?

Isn't that what happens when the EU doesn't like a result ?
  • Options

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Have you noticed NICKY HALEY keeping her powder dry?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Speaking of Neocon "moderates"...
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Re Waterloo Sunset - I think a cover by Cathy Dennis is actually better than the Kinks version.
    Just as 10000 maniacs did a better version of Because the Night than Patti Smith/Springsteen
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    LadyG said:

My top 5

Jerusalem: Glastonbury
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,830

Is that the same Metro which told us that 36 areas were to be put into a second lockdown within a few days ?
    The pattern is almost too precise by now - moot it, scotch it on the Sunday shows, announce it shortly after.
  • Options

Last Polish census for the areas annexed by Soviets in 1939:

37% Ukrainian
    36% Polish
    15% Belarusian
    10% Jewish
    Must be fun being a Polish census taker in Lviv or Minsk.
  • Options
    Apparently midnight local time there will be an updated exit poll only, and NO official results will be announced until the vote count is complete.

Which is obviously unlike the situation in most countries....
  • Options
    More than 100 outbreaks of coronavirus are happening each week, Matt Hancock has revealed, as it emerged door-to-door testing will increasingly be used to contain localised infections.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/07/12/local-lockdowns-running-hundred-per-week-matt-hancock-reveals/
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Apparently midnight local time there will be an updated exit poll only, and NO official results will be announced until the vote count is complete.

Which is obviously unlike the situation in most countries....

That sounds really awful.
  • Options
    "voters MAY have had enough of this constant stream of pigshit."

Pardon me French, should have said "pigPiS".
  • Options
    I remember from previous elections that Poland (and also Chile) does a "dump" of results at intervals, but obviously a live count available from all precincts has to be the gold standard.

I would have thought that the Polish model allows far more room for fixing the result?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The pattern is almost too precise by now - moot it, scotch it on the Sunday shows, announce it shortly after.
    I'm waiting for the indignation in Ilkley when we get a borough-wide lockdown in Bradford.
  • Options
    Charles said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Scarborough Fair
    Blaydon races
    Luton Airport

To be more provincial!
  • Options
    Poland 2020

Given close results AND government manipulations, independent election monitoring including by foreign observers may prove critical.

Does anyone know where Jimmy Carter is tonight? Or anything concrete about current status re: independent election monitoring across Poland?
  • Options
    The_RobotThe_Robot Posts: 2
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

Joe le taxi - Vanessa Paradis
    J’me voyais déjà - Charles Aznavour
    Paris en colère - Mireille Mathieu
    Lobo-hombre en Paris - La uniòn
    Les nuits parisiennes - Louise attaque

Those are all a bit shit, no offence mon cher

It it weird how the French never really grasped the art of popular song. Despite their mastery in so many other forms
    Have you heard Zaz? This knocks every version of "Dirty Old Town" I've ever heard into a cocked hat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0rElAf8Qf0

Then there's the version from when Paris really lit up and came into its own (bonus points for recognising the singer, and double points for naming who wrote the words):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nMeQRfrN0

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

T for Tulsa

Angel from Montgomery - As in Montgomery, Alabama last resting place of Hank Williams Sr,

I Can Still Make Cheyenne

Rose of San Antone

Moon Over Miami - or the less-know Western WA version, "Moon Over Mukilteo"

Anchorage - "Anchored down in Anchorage"

Walkin' in Memphis

Jackson

Hotter than a pepper sprout.
  • Options

Ferry Across the Mersey

Jackson - "We got married in a fever / Hotter than a pepper sprout / We've been talkin' 'bout Jackson / Ever since the fire went out"

Philadelphia Freedom

Is Anybody Going to San Antone (or to Phoenix, Arizona)?

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

Kansas City - "I'm goin' to Kansas City - Kansas City, here I come"

It’s a long long way from Tipperary

If you go to San Francisio
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Jackson - "We got married in a fever / Hotter than a pepper sprout / We've been talkin' 'bout Jackson / Ever since the fire went out"

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

Do you know the way to San Jose?
    or
    Is this the way to Amarillo?
  • Options

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

or
    Sat Nav has done for those.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

Both excellent! So WHY didn't I think of 'em first?

Here's one NOT about a city, rather a state, but one of my favs:

Me - oh, my - oh
    I'm sooooooo hi - oh!

BTW "Sohio" is gas-station chain found only in Ohio, rest of US has "Exxon" (formerly "Esso") stations; this result of breakup of Standard Oil trust.
  • Options
    15,300 new cases in Florida. Reported on a Sunday (!)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

Charles said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Scarborough Fair
    Blaydon races
    Luton Airport

To be more provincial!
    Black & White Town by The Doves is good, about suburbia/provincial life in general rather than a specific town I think
  • Options
    Almost Heaven, West Bromwich
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

or
    It will also tell you that you are Only 24 hours from Tulsa.
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

And

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

For our Welsh friends.
    Help Me Rhondda.

Carmarthen feel the noise.
    Brecon through to the other side.
  • Options
    The best song about London?

Whats happened to Soho? By the Correspondents

https://youtu.be/MZukiRrYROA
  • Options
    Not here at present (so that tweet is b****cks) but Israel looks to have a clear example...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/
  • Options
    The_RobotThe_Robot Posts: 2
    edited July 2020

15,300 new cases in Florida. Reported on a Sunday (!)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

Yesterday's daily figure for deaths with Covid-19 for the whole country (731) was nearly treble the figure for a week before (265). And weekends are at troughs in the reporting cycle too. No wonder Trump has started wearing a mask.

What with the injunction against Mary Trump being considered in court tomorrow (it surely won't survive the publication of her book, against which there is no injunction, the next day, so we can expect a TV interview), who on earth is buying Trump at 2.8?
  • Options
    SONGS OF THE BATTLE GROUND STATES - OH, MI, WI

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
    Gordon Lightfoot

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
    The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
    When the skies of November turn gloomy

With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
    Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
    That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
    When the gales of November came early

The ship was the pride of the American side
    Coming back from some mill in Wisconsin
    As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most
    With a crew and good captain well seasoned

Concluding some terms with a couple of steel firms
    When they left fully loaded for Cleveland
    And later that night when the ship's bell rang
    Could it be the north wind they'd been feelin'?

The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound
    And a wave broke over the railing
    And every man knew, as the captain did too,
    T'was the witch of November come stealin'

The dawn came late and the breakfast had to wait
    When the gales of November came slashin'
    When afternoon came it was freezin' rain
    In the face of a hurricane west wind

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck sayin'
    Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya
    At seven p.m., a main hatchway caved in, he said
    Fellas, it's been good to know ya

The captain wired in he had water comin' in
    And the good ship and crew was in peril
    And later that night when 'is lights went outta sight
    Came the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Does any one know where the love of God goes
    When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay
    If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er

They might have split up or they might have capsized
    They may have broke deep and took water
    And all that remains is the faces and the names
    Of the wives and the sons and the daughters

Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
    In the rooms of her ice-water mansion
    Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
    The islands and bays are for sportsmen

And farther below Lake Ontario
    Takes in what Lake Erie can send her
    And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
    With the gales of November remembered

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed,
    In the maritime sailors' cathedral
    The church bell chimed till it rang twenty-nine times
    For each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
    Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
    When the gales of November come early
  • Options
    Sounds like Fauci will next out of the WH clown car.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

Me - oh, my - oh
    I'm sooooooo hi - oh!

BTW "Sohio" is gas-station chain found only in Ohio, rest of US has "Exxon" (formerly "Esso") stations; this result of breakup of Standard Oil trust.
    This one can’t be beat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NztfOSyCCFM

I mean

How did Wisco-sin
    She stole a New-bras-key
    She stole a new brass key
    Pity that Arkansas
    And so did Tennessee
    It made poor Flori-die
    She died in Missouri
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,279
    Su simmer all he hin jekumme, mir sprechen hück all die selve Sproch.
    Mir han dodurch su vill jewonne.
    Mir sin wie mer sin, mir Jecke am Rhing, dat is jet wo mer stolz drop sin
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Scarborough Fair
    Blaydon races
    Luton Airport

To be more provincial!
    Black & White Town by The Doves is good, about suburbia/provincial life in general rather than a specific town I think
    I'd go with Sound of the Suburbs for that theme.

Or Pleasant Valley Sunday
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

Me - oh, my - oh
    I'm sooooooo hi - oh!

This one can’t be beat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NztfOSyCCFM
    Perry Como - proud son of Cannonsburg, PA

I know this fun fact, because when I was a kid, we used to drive through Cannonsburg on the way to grandmother's house, and the city had put up large billboards announcing this at the city limits.
  • Options

Not here at present (so that tweet is b****cks) but Israel looks to have a clear example...

You can certainly say that could be a second wave.

Though I do wonder if most countries are going to end up with a 20% infection rate in the end and the only choices are the circumstances in which that happens.
  • Options

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

Me - oh, my - oh
    I'm sooooooo hi - oh!

I didn’t realise that Esso stood for standard oil until I was in my teens
  • Options

You can certainly say that could be a second wave.

Though I do wonder if most countries are going to end up with a 20% infection rate in the end and the only choices are the circumstances in which that happens.
    I suspect that without a vaccine most countries will end up with a much higher infection rate than 20%. But if you can keep the infection rate low for as long as possible you can avoid overloading health services and keep deaths low until a vaccine does arrive.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

or
    I'd encourage people not to use Sat Nav and use paper maps instead.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,830

Pro_Rata said:

I'm waiting for the indignation in Ilkley when we get a borough-wide lockdown in Bradford.
    It's already started with the Yorkshire Live correspondents here. "We all know the outbreak is in NORTH Kirklees". I think any Huddersfield lockdown will be met with much agitation.

We don't know for sure that is the case, but I tend to agree though - I won't be too happy being locked down for an outbreak which does appear to be localised 10 miles away. In fact, judging by the Observer saying the mobile unit is to be deployed in S. Bradford, the Bradford/Kirklees issues look to be a joint outbreak on the border. The Kirklees meat plant from which 164 cases have been confirmed is pretty much on the Bradford M62 turn off, in postcode BD19.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Ferry Across the Mersey

Philadelphia Freedom

Arrivederci Roma

The Girl from Ipanema

or
    I'd encourage people not to use Sat Nav and use paper maps instead.
    People don't use SatNav as a map, they use it to get directions.
  • Options
    Exactly. There is some utterly ridiculous stuff posted on here and on Twitter. I don’t know why I let it wind me up, but it does.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768

isam said:

Charles said:

LadyG said:

My top 5

Scarborough Fair
    Blaydon races
    Luton Airport

To be more provincial!
    I'd go with Sound of the Suburbs for that theme.

Or Pleasant Valley Sunday
    For simple declarative force, James Brown’s cover of Seoul Man is pretty hard to beat....
This discussion has been closed.