Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where is the Democratic Tea Party?

13»

Comments

• Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"PETER HITCHENS: Forget face masks and fear - let's relax and accept the risk"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8513543/PETER-HITCHENS-Forget-face-masks-fear-lets-relax-accept-risk.html

You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect your parents and your grandparents, and because a little collective action allows us all to relax a little earlier.
    Peter Hitchens’ parents and grandparents were unavailable for comment
    Peter Hitchens has living grandparents or is he a medium?
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Foxy said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Starmer priority must be to achieve 40% consistently, still work to do on that Lib Dem and Green vote

Labour needs a LibDem revival more than anything.

Could get one with Davey
    Yup there's been a steady uptick in the LD vote share since he's been back in charge - oh wait no- there's been the sum total of nada!
    Davey is far more likely to pull across Tory voters than Moran is
    I agree but so far he hasn't made a dent.
    Its policies which will make much more of a difference rather than the leader right now.

Drug legislation is one of the main one the LD should go for. It would put Sir Keir in a tougher spot.
    Decriminalisation yes, but I quit the party if legalisation is advocated.
    Decriminalisation is pointless. What advantages does it have over legalisation?

Surely with legalisation we need to legalise and regulate the entire supply chain. From field to sale. Get it completely out of the hands of gangsters.

Less than that: why bother?
    LibDems will only attract other loonies
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,449
    fox327 said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8513543/PETER-HITCHENS-Forget-face-masks-fear-lets-relax-accept-risk.html

Does he truly believe his contrarianism?

Advocating that a subset of society should be able to sign away their responsibilities to the whole seems bizarre. Just because they've abrogated any medical treatment if they catch the bug does not mean they won't be spreading it around those who took a more selfless choice.

Look at America. Libertarians decrying the lock down and placing full responsibility on the person, seem not to understand that epidemiology does not respect the right of Peter and friends to exhale freely in the presence of the like minded.

His ideology seems translucent when a collective effort is required to mitigate this. If everyone took Peter's approach why wouldn't the UK look just like Florida, Arizona, or Texas?
    The longer this goes on the more people will focus on their own self-interests. Devoting one's life to preventing coronavirus transmission may appeal to many people for a few months, but once the time extends into years people will go back to dealing with their own personal priorities. If all you do with your life is prevent a virus transmitting, you have wasted your life. We only live once. Many people are doing nothing but thinking and talking about the virus. This is not natural, and I don't think it will last given that a high proportion of people who are infected by it survive and recover in a few days.

However the epidemic has caused a huge psychological shock to a society in which many people are not accustomed to taking any personal risks. In fact taking personal risks is actively discouraged by all kinds of legislation and organisations. This is why the epidemic has been so hard to deal with. Personal risk-taking should not be spoken of. The NHS is sacred. The virus should not be approached. Maybe it is too soon for cultural anthropologists to be asked to contribute to SAGE discussions. They may have to wait until the crisis has passed to contribute their perspective.
    I can understand raising my risk tolerance to reduce the viruses impact on my lifestyle. But I know this will have an impact on the lives of others.

It seems as if Peter ignores the externalities of his right to choose. It doesn't help that I believe that such strong ideology would die If there wasn't a collective effort to fall back on when things go wrong.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,128
    Foxy said:

England case data down to low level authority -

WTF is going on in rural Herefordshire? 56 cases out of nowhere yesterday.
    Historic cases being entered?
    Who knows? Not the press in Droitwich for sure....

"Public Health England data show that 809 people had been confirmed as testing positive for Covid-19 by 9am on Saturday (July 11) in Herefordshire, an increase of 56 compared with figures released on Friday.

It is not yet clear if the 56 new cases were confirmed in the previous 24 hours, or whether they are historical cases which have only just been added to the tally."

https://www.droitwichadvertiser.co.uk/news/regional/18577071.coronavirus-herefordshire-number-cases-jumps-56/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    The fact that far more people *like* Starmer than Johnson did surprise me - I'd have expected a competent vs endearing split.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615

The fact that far more people *like* Starmer than Johnson did surprise me - I'd have expected a competent vs endearing split.
    Right now, PM is like a big, bouncy St Bernard puppy . . . with mange . . .
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

It’s actually quite interesting how the pandemic has made many countries insular. There is real carnage in many places around the world and it hardly gets a mention. There is going to be one hell of a mess to be cleared up after this is over and it will make Europe’s problems seem insignificant.

I think autarky and protectionism are the next phase in the economic downward spiral. 1930s revisited...
    Our economy didn't spiral downward in the 1930s.
    Ummm... to be fair, that was largely because it had been hammered in the 1920s and then again in the great depression of 1930 and 1931.

UK GDP per head in 1936 was below that of 1918, and exports didn't recover to the highs of the 1920s until the 1950s.

So, while you can say "we didn't spiral downwards in the 1930s", that's because we'd bottomed out.

It's a bit like saying the LibDems are doing much better when stable at 6%, than when they fell from 24% to 18%.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,309
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Starmer priority must be to achieve 40% consistently, still work to do on that Lib Dem and Green vote

Could get one with Davey
    Yup there's been a steady uptick in the LD vote share since he's been back in charge - oh wait no- there's been the sum total of nada!
    To be fair, I suspect that Moran and Davey are talking to the members of the Liberal Democrat Party right now. If you had a membership card, you'd probably have heard from the both many times.
    Officially the campaign is only just starting. Both candidates are appealing for help with phone banking, so I suspect it’s going to be mostly a telephone campaign.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,992
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. 1000, I was unaware of those economic stats. Remind me a bit, writ small, of the impact the Black Death had on the population.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

You don't wear a mask to protect yourself, you wear a mask to protect your parents and your grandparents, and because a little collective action allows us all to relax a little earlier.
    I normally like what you write Robert but this is completely untrue. It is not just the elderly who are at risk. There are many others with 'underlying health conditions' who are at peril from this virus.

I'm one of them.

I wear a mask because contracting coronavirus will probably kill me.
  • Options
    F1: three place grid penalty for Leclerc for impeding Kvyat, which means Russell will start 11th.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747

F1: three place grid penalty for Leclerc for impeding Kvyat, which means Russell will start 11th.

Is the other PB channel still operational, the one that used to be dedicated to Grand Prix racing?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,191
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Alternatively, stay at home as much as possible.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I normally like what you write Robert but this is completely untrue. It is not just the elderly who are at risk. There are many others with 'underlying health conditions' who are at peril from this virus.

I'm one of them.

What is your underlying health condition that justifies the use of the word “probably”, out of interest? Sounds like you shouldn’t be leaving the house ever, and therefore have no need for a mask, let alone planning trips to Thailand.
  • Options
    Mr. JS, that ceased to be used for technical reasons in about 2013.

I ramble about F1 stuff over on my bare bones enormo-haddock blog:
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2020/07/styrian-grand-prix-pre-qualifying-2020.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm one of them.

What is your underlying health condition that justifies the use of the word “probably”, out of interest? Sounds like you shouldn’t be leaving the house ever, and therefore have no need for a mask, let alone planning trips to Thailand.
    Not a lot of point in planning a trip to Thailand at the moment. The Thai's appear to controlling the Covid-19 situation and they don't want people coming in from areas where it appears to be less well controlled.

On that happy thought, Good Morning everyone.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,688
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Stocky said:

Could get one with Davey
    To be fair, I suspect that Moran and Davey are talking to the members of the Liberal Democrat Party right now. If you had a membership card, you'd probably have heard from the both many times.
    Not yet from either, but nominations have just officially closed. Something from Mark Pack with a list of hustings.
    I have heard from both, but not as candidates - just in their current roles.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Betting Post

F1: ended up red at the same circuit a week ago, so take with a pinch of salt, but I've backed Bottas each way at 5.75 to win and Norris at 12 each way to be winner without the big 6 (both third the odds top 2).

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2020/07/styrian-grand-prix-pre-race-2020.html

Edited to change the numbers to boosted. Unboosted, they're 5.5 and 11.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,719
    Robert Mueller breaks his silence and condemns Trump for commuting Roger Stone's sentence
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/12/robert-mueller-breaks-his-silence-and-condemns-trump-for-commuting-roger-stones-sentence
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,194

Right now, PM is like a big, bouncy St Bernard puppy . . . with mange . . .
    and needing neutering (assuming Dom doesn't already keep them in his pocket).
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,918
    edited July 2020

Betting Post

F1: ended up red at the same circuit a week ago, so take with a pinch of salt, but I've backed Bottas each way at 5.75 to win and Norris at 12 each way to be winner without the big 6 (both third the odds top 2).

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2020/07/styrian-grand-prix-pre-race-2020.html

Edited to change the numbers to boosted. Unboosted, they're 5.5 and 11.

You can get 13.5 on Bottas to win with Betfair at the moment. 1.36 for the podium.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/motor-sport/event/29890678/multi-market?marketIds=1.171240139

Also, lay Verstappen to finish at 1.4.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    Scott_xP said:
    Thats quite some letter. If even Ms Truss is hearing the penny drop it sounds as if Jan is going to be an omnishambles. Time to stock up that Brexit larder again.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Thats quite some letter. If even Ms Truss is hearing the penny drop it sounds as if Jan is going to be an omnishambles. Time to stock up that Brexit larder again.
    Liz Truss next out of the cabinet?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:
    Mueller can go suck a fuck. His failure to comprehend how the GOP admin he was investigating might twist his findings and his hugely reticent deferential kowtowing to the Office of the Presidency was hugely damaging.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,060

Liz Truss next out of the cabinet?

Apparently Dom is unhappy about the letter, so probably
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    edited July 2020
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ms Truss was a fairly vocal Remainer, IIRC. Now, I'm not one to discount (or otherwise) people according to their past affiliations, but your use of the word "even" is doing some fairly heavy lifting, implying she was a serious Leaver.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    GUARDIAN: Britons are prepared to pay higher taxes to turn the country into a kinder, more equal and supportive place to live after the coronavirus pandemic is over, according to new research set to be published this week. A poll carried out for the strategy consultancy BritainThinks reveals that just 12% of people want life to return to normal “exactly as it was before” once the pandemic is over.

The research shows three clear priorities are emerging: better funding for the NHS, better treatment and pay for essential workers, and an economic recovery that doesn’t just focus on London. There is also an appetite for a kinder society that prioritises better support for people struggling with mental or physical health problems, allows workers more time off with family and friends, cares about the environment and ensures high levels of employment.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,194
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    Scott_xP said:
    Truss obviously wants to be Chancellor in the new regime if/when the Johnson/Gove/Cummings project explodes in a ball of fire.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

GUARDIAN: Britons are prepared to pay higher taxes to turn the country into a kinder, more equal and supportive place to live after the coronavirus pandemic is over, according to new research set to be published this week. A poll carried out for the strategy consultancy BritainThinks reveals that just 12% of people want life to return to normal “exactly as it was before” once the pandemic is over.

The research shows three clear priorities are emerging: better funding for the NHS, better treatment and pay for essential workers, and an economic recovery that doesn’t just focus on London. There is also an appetite for a kinder society that prioritises better support for people struggling with mental or physical health problems, allows workers more time off with family and friends, cares about the environment and ensures high levels of employment.

The assumption that paying higher taxes is going to accomplish all those things, particularly in the aftermath of an extremely deep recession, is somewhat.... optimistic.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Truss obviously wants to be Chancellor in the new regime if/when the Johnson/Gove/Cummings project explodes in a ball of fire.
    That’s thinking too far ahead. She simply sees the shower of shit that could descend when January turns into a mess, and wanted to get her umbrella up in good time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ms Truss was a fairly vocal Remainer, IIRC. Now, I'm not one to discount (or otherwise) people according to their past affiliations, but your use of the word "even" is doing some fairly heavy lifting, implying she was a serious Leaver.
    Applying whatever discount you want, it’s still a pretty extraordinary letter.
    There’s no mileage in her either writing it or leaking it (and one can’t automatically assume that was her) unless the doubts she expresses, and lack of information complained about, have basis in reality.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    That’s thinking too far ahead. She simply sees the shower of shit that could descend when January turns into a mess, and wanted to get her umbrella up in good time.
    Look into her eyes. You will see no emotion aside from anguine cunning.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

(and one can’t automatically assume that was her)

Haha. Good one. I expect it was a no longer gruntled civil servant.
  • Options
    CNN: 51-y-o California guy feeling lonely, breaks his lockdown to go to a party. A friend who knows he is Corona positive also goes, thinking it will be OK because he has no symptoms. A few days later the friend phones and confesses; the guy goes for a test which comes back positive, and a week later he dies:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/california-thomas-macias-coronavirus/?iid=ob_lockedrail_longstory_pool
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    A review article on Covid damage outside of the lungs.
    One thing that stands out is the (potentially long term) need for dialysis for a significant percentage of the very sick patients after recovery.

Extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0968-3
    Although COVID-19 is most well known for causing substantial respiratory pathology, it can also result in several extrapulmonary manifestations. These conditions include thrombotic complications, myocardial dysfunction and arrhythmia, acute coronary syndromes, acute kidney injury, gastrointestinal symptoms, hepatocellular injury, hyperglycemia and ketosis, neurologic illnesses, ocular symptoms, and dermatologic complications. Given that ACE2, the entry receptor for the causative coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, is expressed in multiple extrapulmonary tissues, direct viral tissue damage is a plausible mechanism of injury. In addition, endothelial damage and thromboinflammation, dysregulation of immune responses, and maladaptation of ACE2-related pathways might all contribute to these extrapulmonary manifestations of COVID-19. Here we review the extrapulmonary organ-specific pathophysiology, presentations and management considerations for patients with COVID-19 to aid clinicians and scientists in recognizing and monitoring the spectrum of manifestations, and in developing research priorities and therapeutic strategies for all organ systems involved.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, sorry for the tardy reply. Those both look good to me.

Let's hope Bottas wins and Norris is 2nd.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

The assumption that paying higher taxes is going to accomplish all those things, particularly in the aftermath of an extremely deep recession, is somewhat.... optimistic.
    These surveys are meaningless.

Do you want to pay key workers more?
    Do you want an economic recovery for everyone?
    Do you want workers to have more time off?
    Do you like motherhood?
    How about apple pie?

No one can answer in the negative without looking like a complete heel
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

(and one can’t automatically assume that was her)

Haha. Good one. I expect it was a no longer gruntled civil servant.
    Narrowing down those suspects could be a lengthy task.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

These surveys are meaningless.

Do you want to pay key workers more?
    Do you want an economic recovery for everyone?
    Do you want workers to have more time off?
    Do you like motherhood?
    How about apple pie?

No one can answer in the negative without looking like a complete heel
    I’m not all that keen on apple pie.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

England case data down to low level authority -

WTF is going on in rural Herefordshire? 56 cases out of nowhere yesterday.
    An outbreak at a food processing plant would be my guess.

And a smaller outbreak in Braintree - which might be a similar cause or at a care home.

But its better to have a couple of localised outbreaks than a general increase.
This discussion has been closed.