Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds Brits more ready consider traveling o

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's only 10 foot by 10 foot. Not unreasonable.

Never rely on journalists for anything involving sums.
    Yeah, is anyone surprised that gyms have the toughest regulations?
    Yes. The disease is not spread by sweat, and the gym is one of the only places where people don’t tend to speak to each-other and generally keep a 2m distance anyway.
    Isn't the problems aerosols in the air?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:

Imagine if those machines now have to be 10 feet apart

Shouldn't be that difficult to do whatsoever. They already seem to be that far apart between rows anyway.

Its called social distancing are you just waking up to that concept?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

I think what bothers me most about the BBC is radio, it's a completely pointless form of media now and yet if I want to watch live sports on Sky I have to pay for countless radio stations.

I think you’re out of touch. Podcasts, of which most BBC Radio is now available, are a huge growth industry. Why do you think the Times have just launched Times Radio?
    Podcasts isn't radio though, I get to choose which podcasts I listen to and Spotify covers all of my musical tastes just fine without unnecessary interruptions from idiot DJs.

Broadcast radio is going the same way as broadcast TV, it will be dead within the next decade as streaming completely takes over.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

So the BBC are going ahead and charging pensioners over 75 £157.50 to eatch their output irrespective of whether they do

It will take 11,111 pensioners payments just to pay Gary Lineker alone

It is just wrong

Its very wrong Gary Lineker is paid so much for so little work. Why is it wrong to charge pensioners the same fee as everyone else?
    Pensioners over 75 have enjoyed free tv licences for the last 20 years and to many the sudden shock of finding £157.50 will cause distress and even financial hardship
    I think you are over egging it.
    £13 per month.
    Yet Netflix is only £5.99 a month.

The BBC is disgracefully incompetent and expensive and the licence fee should be abolished.
    I do not, generally, think that, but the over 75 debate pushes me closer to that way.
    I think its wrong to force me to pay for a service that I find to be quite shit when I happily pay for other services by choice. Its not about bias or anything like that, since I so rarely watch the BBC I couldn't tell you if its biased or not, I just think its very, very poor quality.
    As @noneoftheabove notes, why don't you just not pay the license if you don't watch it.

Jeez.
    Because its the law that you need to do so since I do watch live TV.
    Just out of interest what do you watch live?
    Sport, Sky News, Sky Sports News, PMQs, the Budget - and the kids watch Disney Jr.
    Actually that is shocking that you need to pay the BBC to watch Sky.

What is the rationale - satellite space or something? I know that the BBC pays Sky for satellite space...
    There is no rationale that is my point, it is the law.

You must by law pay the licence fee if you watch any TV live, that is the law. That doesn't just include terrestrial TV - as a specific example if you were to live stream a football match from a non-BBC channel on your phone then you must by law pay the licence fee.

Just make the BBC fee an optional fee for those who wish to subscribe to the BBC. If the BBC is great then everyone will subscribe. What is the issue?

EDIT: PS Thank You for acknowledging that it is shocking.
    There's a tax on owning a car, on buying chocolate, on travelling by plane. There are taxes on insurance, fuel for private cars, alcohol and tobacco.

There aren't many things that aren't taxed. I don't see anything shocking in there being a tax on watching live broadcast TV.

It is entirely unexceptional.
    Perhaps should be balanced up with an Internet tax...

I listen to BBC radio more than live TV. Mostly 5 Live and R6M, but also Radio Leicester for the football. Often on catchup with the excellent BBC Sounds App. The BBC has such tremendous breadth of coverage that there is something for everyone bar the narrowest of minds.

The BBC is one of the great things about Britain and is a tremendous source of soft power, as well as generating a lot of cultural industries that add to our exports.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes. The disease is not spread by sweat, and the gym is one of the only places where people don’t tend to speak to each-other and generally keep a 2m distance anyway.
    The also tend to huff and puff, that is IF what they're doing is really exercise.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    MaxPB said:

I think what bothers me most about the BBC is radio, it's a completely pointless form of media now and yet if I want to watch live sports on Sky I have to pay for countless radio stations.

Radio is a completely pointless form of media? I really must demur in the strongest possible terms. It's my go-to form of media. The intimacy is very appealing (especially with headphones).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Panting and heavy breathing. Like choirs.
    Yeah but you’re facing in the same direction. Put a bit of perspex between the machines and there’s no danger whatsoever.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

So the BBC are going ahead and charging pensioners over 75 £157.50 to eatch their output irrespective of whether they do

It is just wrong

Its very wrong Gary Lineker is paid so much for so little work. Why is it wrong to charge pensioners the same fee as everyone else?
    Pensioners over 75 have enjoyed free tv licences for the last 20 years and to many the sudden shock of finding £157.50 will cause distress and even financial hardship
    £13 per month.

The BBC is disgracefully incompetent and expensive and the licence fee should be abolished.
    I do not, generally, think that, but the over 75 debate pushes me closer to that way.
    I think its wrong to force me to pay for a service that I find to be quite shit when I happily pay for other services by choice. Its not about bias or anything like that, since I so rarely watch the BBC I couldn't tell you if its biased or not, I just think its very, very poor quality.
    As @noneoftheabove notes, why don't you just not pay the license if you don't watch it.

Jeez.
    Sport, Sky News, Sky Sports News, PMQs, the Budget - and the kids watch Disney Jr.

What is the rationale - satellite space or something? I know that the BBC pays Sky for satellite space...

You must by law pay the licence fee if you watch any TV live, that is the law. That doesn't just include terrestrial TV - as a specific example if you were to live stream a football match from a non-BBC channel on your phone then you must by law pay the licence fee.

Just make the BBC fee an optional fee for those who wish to subscribe to the BBC. If the BBC is great then everyone will subscribe. What is the issue?

There's a tax on owning a car, on buying chocolate, on travelling by plane. There are taxes on insurance, fuel for private cars, alcohol and tobacco.

There aren't many things that aren't taxed. I don't see anything shocking in there being a tax on watching live broadcast TV.

If I buy a Kia then my tax on that isn't bunged to Nissan.
    If I buy some Dairy Milk then my tax on that isn't bunged to Nestle
    If I fly by EasyJet then my tax on that isn't bunged to British Airways

And so on and so forth for everything else. I wouldn't care if TVs were taxed to fund education, the NHS etc - but to fund the BBC when I'm choosing to watch a different supplier? No thanks.
    Okay, so now we're arguing about how the government chooses to spend the tax income it has raised. The objection to a tax on watching broadcast TV disappears.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think you’re out of touch. Podcasts, of which most BBC Radio is now available, are a huge growth industry. Why do you think the Times have just launched Times Radio?
    Podcasts isn't radio though, I get to choose which podcasts I listen to and Spotify covers all of my musical tastes just fine without unnecessary interruptions from idiot DJs.

Broadcast radio is going the same way as broadcast TV, it will be dead within the next decade as streaming completely takes over.
    But most BBC Radio shows are essentially available as podcasts. They are pretty much one and the same.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

It is just wrong

£13 per month.

Jeez.

Perhaps should be balanced up with an Internet tax...

I listen to BBC radio more than live TV. Mostly 5 Live and R6M, but also Radio Leicester for the football. Often on catchup with the excellent BBC Sounds App. The BBC has such tremendous breadth of coverage that there is something for everyone bar the narrowest of minds.

The BBC is one of the great things about Britain and is a tremendous source of soft power, as well as generating a lot of cultural industries that add to our exports.
    There's already an internet tax, we pay VAT on it at full rate.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,955
    edited July 2020

Shouldn't be that difficult to do whatsoever. They already seem to be that far apart between rows anyway.

Difficult is not the issue

Instead of 15 machines in a row you end up with 5

Can the gym survive with only a third of its punters is the question.
  • Options

Tonights announcements should prove popular with the industries involved

And the punters. Can't wait to get swimming again. I've missed it a lot.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yeah but you’re facing in the same direction. Put a bit of perspex between the machines and there’s no danger whatsoever.
    No danger whatsoever? I want to see evidence of that claim.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Can the gym survive with only a third of it's punters is the question.
    Can they survive with half?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Nigelb said:

Doesn't the great orange snowflake realise the SC has probably given him cover to shield his tax affairs until after the election ?

Or perhaps he's now worrying more about the actual legal consequences to him, post election.
    If he loses in November, before he goes, Donald Trump will try and issue a pre-emptive presidential pardon that absolves Donald Trump from all future charges arising from the public disclosure of his tax affairs.
    No doubt.

Meanwhile, the cynical are saying that Roberts has effectively given Trump a pass, while preserving the legal powers to go after a future Democratic administration.
    I can't wholly disagree with that view.
  • Options
    Like it or not BBC Radio still plays a huge part in promoting amateur and up and coming music artists. Commercial radio does not even scratch the surface. I believe British music cultural outreach (which is significant) would be stunted if BBC Radio was to disappear.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Luckily for gyms the requirement is a capacity based on 100sq ft per person net of all facilities available, including changing rooms and toilets. So the machines can probably be closer than 10 feet apart.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/09/rishi-sunak-jobs-policies-badly-timed-poorly-targeted-ifs

IFS quite critical of yesterday's announcement. The £1k bung to employers does seem like a bit of a waste of £9bn, although as a recipient (I assume household employers are not excluded, I think they publish full details of the scheme later in the month) I suppose I shouldn't be complaining.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The BBCs DJs are awful in my limited experience, really puts me off the channels. I don't know if they genuinely think they are the stars and people are tuning in to listen to them, or if they are paid to speak non-stop so that the BBC doesn't have to pay as much licensing fees for records played.

I'm got a premium family YouTube subscription which makes YouTube ad-free and includes access to Google Play Music and YouTube music and stream any music I want from that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Its the same principle as wearing a face visor. How is their breath droplets going to hit me?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

No, becvause those are aerosols which persist much more. Remember the German study of runners - a real menace well beyond the nominal 2m limit. And inagine having someone running next to you for 15-30 mins.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

10 feet is a lot, compared to their current spacing. Can they survive on those levels of occupancy?
    10 by 10 is for the whole indoor space, not 10 feet between individuals. It seems quite reasonable to me.

I am not a gym fan, preferring my exercise outdoors even in normal times, but when I have been that 100sqft area per person would actually be quite busy. Usually a half or fewer machines are occupied.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Can the gym survive with only a third of its punters is the question.
    Same issue everyone else is having to face. Its social distancing.

Gyms are very high risk. Either they can cope with social distancing or they can't.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

No, becvause those are aerosols which persist much more. Remember the German study of runners - a real menace well beyond the nominal 2m limit. And inagine having someone running next to you for 15-30 mins.
    When you’re running outside you’re running into other people’s “breath streams”. That does not apply in a gym. You’re breathing in one static direction.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,239
    Glad that the gyms are re-opening. Mrs RP desperate to go swimming again. As for the dry bit of the gym I was in there last w/c 9th March and everything was being cleaned within an inch of its life. You got on a treadmill you wiped the surfaces. You got off you wiped the surfaces. If you didn't the staff were there to do it.

Spread the kit out, keep up that level of cleaning and it'll be fine. I go to the gym to get away from people so I was already avoiding other people - that will be mandatory now. Panting and heavy breathing says @Carnyx - yes, but not at each other or on top of each other.

As for how will they make enough money remember that they get your dollar whether you go or not...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,955
    RobD said:

Luckily for gyms the requirement is a capacity based on 100sq ft per person net of all facilities available, including changing rooms and toilets. So the machines can probably be closer than 10 feet apart.

Only if nobody is using them...

If each machine is in the centre of a box 10 feet square, and you put 2 of those boxes side by side, how far apart are the machines..?

There are 3 doors :smile:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115

Will no-one think of the poor discriminated against victimised presidents!
    Aren't there several outstanding cases involving presidential harassment of ladies? Ok, he wasn't prez at the time, but..
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

10 feet is a lot, compared to their current spacing. Can they survive on those levels of occupancy?
    10 by 10 is for the whole indoor space, not 10 feet between individuals. It seems quite reasonable to me.

I am not a gym fan, preferring my exercise outdoors even in normal times, but when I have been that 100sqft area would actually be quite busy.
    I have a feeling the original journalist was confusing 100 ft sq versus 100 sq ft ...
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Its the same principle as wearing a face visor. How is their breath droplets going to hit me?
    If it's an aerosol it'll percolate around. There was a cool simulation of a person sneezing and you see the aerosols spreading all around the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md6G2hqrhBE
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Scott_xP said:

It would probably just mean every other one unused. Which is probably how most users prefer it, and arrange themselves, anyway.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

There is a fitting circularity in Kanye West's 'announcement' and the SCOTUS judgment, both events with no impact on the likelihood of Trump winning in November, having equal but opposite impacts on the market such that it is back to where it was a week ago.

Kanye West is a joke. SCOTUS decision not so much. True, Trumpsky's tax files will not be made public before EDay, but that never was in the cards, and would NOT make much difference electorally, unless you think masses of undecideds & swings were just waiting for THAT to make their decision, which yours truly does not.

Instead, it's yet another clear signal that even folks who side with Our Fearless Leader on many specifics do NOT have to drink the Koolaid 24/7. AND that the wheels are falling off the MAGA express.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

When you’re running outside you’re running into other people’s “breath streams”. That does not apply in a gym. You’re breathing in one static direction.
    And it depends how the ventilation system is working. Hence, I assume, the emphasis on that aspect in the regs. (I have not looked at them in detail.)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

Only if nobody is using them...

If each machine is in the centre of a box 10 feet square, and you put 2 of those boxes side by side, how far apart are the machines..?

There are 3 doors :smile:
    That's true, but are all of the facilities always running at full capacity all the time?

Note that the requirement says nothing about spacing between machines.
  • Options
    Regardless I’ve cancelled my gym membership and won’t be going back. Likewise with everything else I cant be arsed with the ballache that is social distancing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Doesn't the great orange snowflake realise the SC has probably given him cover to shield his tax affairs until after the election ?

Or perhaps he's now worrying more about the actual legal consequences to him, post election.
    American billionaires are famous for their philanthropy and we will now be able to see the extent of his. I wonder which charities it will turn out he favours the most?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited July 2020

kinabalu said:

Efforts to smear Anneliese Dodds using stale old clips and footage, I see.

She must be cutting through.

Oh I thought it was a new clip
    Sir Keir saw it and thought "Shadow Chancellor material, that"
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/09/rishi-sunak-jobs-policies-badly-timed-poorly-targeted-ifs

IFS quite critical of yesterday's announcement. The £1k bung to employers does seem like a bit of a waste of £9bn, although as a recipient (I assume household employers are not excluded, I think they publish full details of the scheme later in the month) I suppose I shouldn't be complaining.

Yes, some of my colleagues in private practice are laughing. They employ their spouses as diary secretaries*, and have furloughed them for months and now get a Christmas bonus. I suspect a lot of small businesses will do the same.

*I don't.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Outside is pretty big though. Transmission risk in a gym is definitely orders of magnitude higher.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2020

justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

I really do not agree

She was embarrassing
    You support a literal buffoon who can’t string a sentence together. I think your judgment is extremely poor.

kinabalu said:

I really do not agree

She was embarrassing
    You support a literal buffoon who can’t string a sentence together. I think your judgment is extremely poor.

kinabalu said:

I really do not agree

She was embarrassing
    I support Rishi if you read my posts yesterday
    Aha, you also supported Johnson for election in 2019. I stand by my point.
    In 2019, you championed someone to become Prime Minister who couldn't pass an A-Level and then dropped out of a polytechnic...
    I believe Corbyn did pass 2 A Levels!
    Were E-grades passes back when he did them? I think we can safely call that a distinction without a difference...
    A Levels were far more demanding in the pre-1988 era when exams were marked on a relative - rather than an absolute - basis. Today barely 2% of pupils fail to achieve at least a Grade E pass - back in the 1960s and 1970s 30% failed obtain an E grade and were either awarded an O Level pass or failed outright. E grades from the late 60s would certainly be C grades today.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The three rows probably are 10ft apart, and if they leave one machine empty between users, so will the individual machines on each row.

I am imagining it... not that exciting
  • Options
    edited July 2020

kinabalu said:

Yes; I suspect this was recorded round about the same time that Johnson was refusing to be interviewed by Andrew Neil.

The Twitter account of the person posting it (see Isam's original post) is something to behold; I'm sure he's a patron of Lozza Fox.....
    :smile: - £100 pm for "Top Fox" level membership! I'd need some kick ass "anti woke" material for that.

"Cancelled in the Wind" -

https://twitter.com/i/status/1281201020534693889
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

"You’re breathing in one static direction." Even IF this is true, does NOT mean there is no risk. Note that choirs generally sing facing one direction. Yet did NOT stop them from being major Covid hot spots.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    edited July 2020

Like it or not BBC Radio still plays a huge part in promoting amateur and up and coming music artists. Commercial radio does not even scratch the surface. I believe British music cultural outreach (which is significant) would be stunted if BBC Radio was to disappear.

There will always be commercial radio. Have you listened to modern music on R1? its largely just noise and AWFUL. Sell Radio 1 off, problem solved.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,656
    "You don’t need a TV Licence if you only use your TV for gaming or DVDs. That’s as long as you never watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer."

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15
  • Options

There will always be commercial radio. Have you listened to modern music on R1? its largely just noise and AWFUL. Sell Radio 1 off, problem solved.
    Yes. I love Radio 1. I listen to it every day.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Some of us only listen to Classic FM and Radio 3 . Some use of Radio 4 from time to time.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

I am not a gym fan, preferring my exercise outdoors even in normal times, but when I have been that 100sqft area would actually be quite busy.
    I have a feeling the original journalist was confusing 100 ft sq versus 100 sq ft ...
    Absolutely and as standard Scott didn't understand what was written either so leapt on it as he thought he could dig at the government with that.

Everyone who understands basic maths sees that and says "yes, make sense".
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Lol! I am sure that's pretty much what my mum used to say about R1 in the 70s! :smile:

• Options

I quite recommend "BBC introduces" for new up and coming bands. Usually a very high standard.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kp1b
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Andy_JS said:

"You don’t need a TV Licence if you only use your TV for gaming or DVDs. That’s as long as you never watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer."

Yep. There is also a defund the BBC campaign and it does seem to have a bit of traction

Their slogan 'you pay, they preach' is quite a good one. Not quite 'Black Lives Matter' but not bad.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    kinabalu said:

Certainly her response yesterday was pretty surefooted. The test of making an immediate off the cuff response to an expansionary budget as Shadow Chancellor is about the hardest one in politics. She got the focus about right and made points which are being widely echoed by disappointed businesses today. The issue of poor or absent targeting won't go away.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/07/how-did-anneliese-dodds-fare-her-first-big-test-shadow-chancellor
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    justin124 said:

Some of us only listen to Classic FM and Radio 3 . Some use of Radio 4 from time to time.
    Indeed Classic FM or any station that plays 60's and 70's stuff, after that Pop music lost its edge (for me). Given up on Radio 4 for the most part, switched to Times Radio. I do hope John Humphrys nor Sara Montague end up on there. Its v nice to hear the interviewee speak without being constantly interrupted..
  • Options

Lol! I am sure that's pretty much what my mum used to say about R1 in the 70s! :smile:

And my grandparents about this new fangled rock and roll. You cant hear the words, you know, and there's no proper tune.
  • Options
    For watchers of the LibDem leadership contest. Total nominations from members:
    Ed Davey: 1,870
    Lalya Moran 1,329
  • Options

Lalya Moran 1,329

Useful tip, in the absence of other data.
  • Options
    I wonder whether gyms will do offers to attract new customers or not when they can reopen?

I'm not a member of one but was considering joining when all this started, trying to get into shape, but I don't want to be tied into a 12 month commitment which seems to be an issue with most gyms.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I quite recommend "BBC introduces" for new up and coming bands. Usually a very high standard.

Is that where you discovered Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets?! 😉
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited July 2020
    MaxPB said:

I think for @MaxPB 's sake we need all those bicyclists and drivers he meets everwhere to all have have TV in their phones or vehicles not radio... :smile:

For me it all about listening whilst doing other things.

• Options
    Foxy said:

And my grandparents about this new fangled rock and roll. You cant hear the words, you know, and there's no proper tune.
    There is a website somewhere dedicated to tunes where people sing words that are not the actual ones.

Its never a problem with the best group ever. The Moody Blues.

There is no need for R1 to be in public hands.
    Happy to pay to listen to BBC radio for a reasonable fee.
  • Options
    Comedy gold from the MPs. They've appointed Chris Grayling to the Intelligence Committee.

A man so dense and incompetent that light bends around him given a scrutiny role of other's intelligence.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

kinabalu said:

I really do not agree

She was embarrassing

kinabalu said:

I really do not agree

She was embarrassing

kinabalu said:

I really do not agree

She was embarrassing
    I support Rishi if you read my posts yesterday
    Aha, you also supported Johnson for election in 2019. I stand by my point.
    In 2019, you championed someone to become Prime Minister who couldn't pass an A-Level and then dropped out of a polytechnic...
    I believe Corbyn did pass 2 A Levels!
    Were E-grades passes back when he did them? I think we can safely call that a distinction without a difference...
    A Levels were far more demanding in the pre-1988 era when exams were marked on a relative - rather than an absolute - basis. Today barely 2% of pupils fail to achieve at least a Grade E pass - back in the 1960s and 1970s 30% failed obtain an E grade and were either awarded an O Level pass or failed outright. E grades from the late 60s would certainly be C grades today.
    Yes that was the case as were o levels the pas mark adjusted to maintain a consistent level of passes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

but can they sing and play a musical tune, rather than noise?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Andy_JS said:

Yep. There is also a defund the BBC campaign and it does seem to have a bit of traction

Their slogan 'you pay, they preach' is quite a good one. Not quite 'Black Lives Matter' but not bad.
    Right Opinions Matter?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Certainly her response yesterday was pretty surefooted. The test of making an immediate off the cuff response to an expansionary budget as Shadow Chancellor is about the hardest one in politics. She got the focus about right and made points which are being widely echoed by disappointed businesses today. The issue of poor or absent targeting won't go away.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/07/how-did-anneliese-dodds-fare-her-first-big-test-shadow-chancellor
    Shock...left wing rag bigs up shadow chancellor that few have ever heard of. Cutting through.. LOL.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    As a great British fudge, I'd happily see the BBC get closer to the Channel 4 model, with advertising and sponsorship introduced gently but a bit more public-servicey. I don't really want it fully privatised, because it would get gobbled up and spat out by a US entertainment giant in seconds. But I would like it to pay it's way more and for the license fee model to change. Perhaps we could all be 'shareholders' in the BBC somehow, I dunno.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

No, but there was a very good interview with Nick Mason on his SoS group.

https://youtu.be/cvXQ5MD8Xk8

Touring again this autumn. I have tickets.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

"You’re breathing in one static direction." Even IF this is true, does NOT mean there is no risk. Note that choirs generally sing facing one direction. Yet did NOT stop them from being major Covid hot spots.
    I think they'll need plastic erected between the treadmills, shop style.

• Options
    Quite unbelievable non pen for Spurs at Bournemouth. How did VAR say no?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

My little dabble into shares was to buy some in the company that makes perspex!
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Absolutely and as standard Scott didn't understand what was written either so leapt on it as he thought he could dig at the government with that.

Not sure about gmt criticism - I wouldn't feel safe in either interpretation!

I've just been writing a historical account which hinges in part on that very distinction for 50 sq feet/ft sq etc - which is an even bigger difference - and the original source used both forms in different letters, accounts, etc. ... fortunately he also used another comparison of the how many elephants type, so I was able to sort it out.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

As a great British fudge, I'd happily see the BBC get closer to the Channel 4 model, with advertising and sponsorship introduced gently but a bit more public-servicey. I don't really want it fully privatised, because it would get gobbled up and spat out by a US entertainment giant in seconds. But I would like it to pay it's way more and for the license fee model to change. Perhaps we could all be 'shareholders' in the BBC somehow, I dunno.

Well, its already trying to kill off BBC 4 the last bastion along with BBC 2 of the likelihood of anything decent to watch on BBC. I would like access to the BBC's back catalogue of arts and drama, not the recent stuff but 60's 70s and 80s stuff, there was some great stuff done.. To Serve Them All My Days for starters... RL Delderfield, and beautifully done.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

No, but there was a very good interview with Nick Mason on his SoS group.

https://youtu.be/cvXQ5MD8Xk8

Touring again this autumn. I have tickets.
    The anniversary of Syd's death earlier this week
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    isam said:

More worring is Ings scoring, have Vardy top season scorer at Even money lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I wonder whether gyms will do offers to attract new customers or not when they can reopen?

I'm not a member of one but was considering joining when all this started, trying to get into shape, but I don't want to be tied into a 12 month commitment which seems to be an issue with most gyms.

If a gym needs to tie you in to a 12 months commitment with big exit charge then it is a crappy or a cynical gym. They can only justify it to cover upfront investment, and there should be 2 months or less notice.

They should negotiate, though.

Crossfit and similar gyms usually operate the other way - monthly membership but say 12 for 10 if you join for a year.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719

With mine it is either £16 per month or £7 each time pay-as-you-go. I do the former as I go twice a week usually.

A relative who lives in London cannot believe how cheap this is. He and his wife pay £130 pm for their gym.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I`m on Ings at 74 with BF.
  • Options
    isam said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

My little dabble into shares was to buy some in the company that makes perspex!
    Or alcohol. Not only have people been drinking tons during lockdown, but spirits distillers are making a fortune producing alcohol for sanitiser
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Not sure about gmt criticism - I wouldn't feel safe in either interpretation!

I've just been writing a historical account which hinges in part on that very distinction for 50 sq feet/ft sq etc - which is an even bigger difference - and the original source used both forms in different letters, accounts, etc. ... fortunately he also used another comparison of the how many elephants type, so I was able to sort it out.
    A good space to think with is a Car Park parking space, which is 120-150 sqft.

We have been operating with one per person in the gym carpark, and would use the same space inside even if we grew quite substantially.
  • Options

Lalya Moran 1,329

Also Ed's includes far more of the prominent members, FWIW
  • Options
    Stocky said:

With mine it is either £16 per month or £7 each time pay-as-you-go. I do the former as I go twice a week usually.

A relative who lives in London cannot believe how cheap this is. He and his wife pay £130 pm for their gym.
    That pricing feels cheap enough that it relies on a lot of people not coming and not caring, or subsidy or minimal support as members know their onions.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Stocky said:

Central London rent is really expensive (currently), and gyms take up a lot of space.

The pricing model is also really dumb, as it results in everyone using the gym at the same time. Much better to have a system where price changes according to demand. So you buy 1,000 points of access, and if you want to use the gym at 10am on Tuesday morning, then it's 1 unit an hour, whereas as 6pm, it's 3 units.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Well. That was the most one sided 1 all half I've seen in a while.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,303
    dixiedean said:

Bournemouth were very good but need a goal
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

If he took penalties you'd be in trouble.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Stocky said:

Central London rent is really expensive (currently), and gyms take up a lot of space.

The pricing model is also really dumb, as it results in everyone using the gym at the same time. Much better to have a system where price changes according to demand. So you buy 1,000 points of access, and if you want to use the gym at 10am on Tuesday morning, then it's 1 unit an hour, whereas as 6pm, it's 3 units.
    But that would remind the many light (or non-) using members that they were trying to get fit simply by buying the membership. Or offer them a way to pay less.

At least the advertising pitch is clear, given the stronger link between obesity and imminent death.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I'm watching the Everton game. Saints hit the bar 3 times, missed a penalty, had one disallowed. Utterly dominant.
    Then Richarlison equalised out of nothing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I'm watching the Everton game. Saints hit the bar 3 times, missed a penalty, had one disallowed. Utterly dominant.
    Sorry - I am watching Bournemouth v Spurs and Spurs were poor in first half
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No need to be sorry. Bet Spurs were better than Everton.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

No need to be sorry. Bet Spurs were better than Everton.
    Not sure to be honest but started second half better
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    As a member of the vulnerable age group I am always cautious of where I go etc. My daughter had a day off on Monday so we met for a leisurely 3 hour lunch at our favorite restaurant. We didn't wear masks during lunch, but observed social distancing. On Tuesday one of her co-workers tested positive for Covid 19, so she is now home and quarantined. I am counting the next 14 days with some concern
  • Options
    NYT report re: testimony of former SDNY US DA Geoffrey Berman regarding his recent firing by President:

"Testifying before a closed-door hearing of the House Judiciary Committee, Mr. Berman recounted being summoned with no warning in June to a meeting with Mr. Barr at the Pierre Hotel in New York, in which the attorney general asked him to step down. Mr. Berman said he rebuffed Mr. Barr time and again during a tense, 45-minute discussion, telling him he would not resign and did not want to be fired, according to copies of his prepared statement obtained by The New York Times.

Mr. Barr repeatedly tried to change Mr. Berman’s mind, he testified, offering him a job as head of the civil division at the Justice Department and warning “that getting fired from my job would not be good for my résumé or future job prospects.”

“I told the attorney general that there were important investigations in the office that I wanted to see through to completion,” Mr. Berman told the committee members, according to the statement."

Getting fired by Trumpsky gonna hurt his career? Just the opposite, methinks!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

As a member of the vulnerable age group I am always cautious of where I go etc. My daughter had a day off on Monday so we met for a leisurely 3 hour lunch at our favorite restaurant. We didn't wear masks during lunch, but observed social distancing. On Tuesday one of her co-workers tested positive for Covid 19, so she is now home and quarantined. I am counting the next 14 days with some concern

Sorry to hear that, and hoping for the best for you & yours.

BTW, have you ever gone to that Atlanta auctioneers featured on that "Auction Kings" semi-reality TV show?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Tim_B said:

Unfortunately there are probably going to be a certain number of incidents like this from now until there's an effective vaccine - if that ever happens. Unless the virus dies out entirely of its own accord then it will keep on creeping around in the shadows: even though its prevalence appears to be very low now in most of the country, a few people at any given time are still going to have the wretched thing.

What this all means is that, unless you live in an area that's in the middle of a flare-up, it's got about as safe out there now as it's going to - so if you're going to actually go out and start doing stuff again then now's the time. It remains to be seen what percentage of the population continues to be so anxious about the virus that they still won't leave home unless compelled to do so: the size of that cohort will be an important determinant of the amount of economic damage caused by Covid, whilst the members of it could potentially find themselves living under house arrest for a very, very long time.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited July 2020
    CatMan said:
    Great response from Barnier . He’s remained classy and has shown immense patience and dignity throughout the last 4 years of dealing with a lot of delusional nonsense coming from some nutjob Tory MPs .
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Tim_B said:

Fingers crossed for you both
  • Options
    nico67 said:

CatMan said:
    Great response from Barnier . He’s remained classy and has shown immense patience and dignity throughout the last 4 years of dealing with a lot of delusional nonsense coming from some nutjob Tory MPs .
    The classiest thing Barnier has done is to attempt negotiation with the extremely poor hand he was dealt by the EU 27, in the full knowledge that these weren't the negotiations, he had no power to actually negotiate anything, and the actual negotiations would come later in the 'emergency negotiations' phase. Our negotiating team has also been fairly classy in tolerating this rather tiresome ritual. Hardly surprising the EU has complained that the allotted time isn't enough to negotiate a deal when they consider it appropriate to spend all their time thus far with a negotiating team that has not been empowered to say anything except 'We want all the fish. No all the fish. No all the fish. No..(etc.)'.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    edited July 2020
    Trump tax returns

So the bad news does keep coming but in itself the apparently rich guy is very good at tax avoidance thing isn't necessarily a shock or surprise

Deutsche Bank's co-operation on the other hand regarding Trump's relationship with them may be very serious indeed if they go into their business as well as personal banking arrangements.

This discussion has been closed.