Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Across all pollsters the Tories are retaining a clear lead

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Starmer missing the wood for the trees. Surely the issue is that the care sector is for profit which siphons off money which would otherwise be spent on care.

Complaining about cuts isn't going to work.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013
    Quincel said:

Fieldwork in late June, Dem-friendly pollster, but 11% lead is big.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1280551824320315398

Playing into his hands etc etc
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

I think it was Matt Goodwin who pointed out that though Starmer is doing well, in the 'are labour ready for government?' category they are streets behind.

I've never been very clear what that means. I don't think it is very quantifiable. Most of us don't know who many secretaries of state are, let alone their shadows, so in terms of being ready for government I have no idea.

I know Starmer looks like he was cast in a tv show to play a Prime Minister - vaguely distinguished looking older white man.
    It means things like: Might you find Richard Burgon or RL-B on the front bench. Might voting Labour bring Laura Pidcock back into play as next leader or Minister for Shouty People's Interests . Might voting Labour mean Scottish interests controlling the show.

But if we could have a front bench of Coopers, Benns, Kendalls, Nandys and Phillipses then maybe.
    Labour "ready for government" is code for Labour "given up on the notion of changing much".
    That's what government is.
    Don't follow. How do you mean "that's what government is"?
    Government isn't about "changing much". It isn't about upending the apple cart, having a revolution and seeing everything change.

Good governance is about picking a few priorities, areas that need improving and addressing those.

Corbyn was never taken seriously because he wanted to transform and spend more on everything which anyone rational knows is impossible. When you prioritise everything you prioritise nothing.

Labour will be serious for government when it stops claiming it will fix every issue ever and instead picks some specific areas that need addressing with some specific ideas how it wants to do it.

In other words starts to make choices. Take sides. Have priorities.
    OK. Very good post. I agree.

But for Labour one of those priorities must imo be to redistribute wealth, power and opportunity. If not, I'm unenthused - although I will always vote for them.
    Redistribute wealth, power and opportunity from whom to whom though ?

People tend to support that redistribution when its from 'people like them' to 'people like us'.

Less so when its from 'people like us' to 'people like them'.
    No, I should lose out. If I don't lose out from a Labour government then something has gone badly wrong.

Redistribute from those who have a lot to those who have little.

The opposite of what happens if you don't.
    You are happy to be a little financially worse off in order for the country to run more as you prefer. Perfectly sensible

Why did Remain think talking about incremental GDP and 10 year ONS forecasts would sway people who hated the way the country was being run?

"They are literally voting to make themselves poorer", middle class people who vote Labour were chuckling
    Innovative point. Although I'm not sure how much chuckling there was. I certainly wasn't doing any.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

FPT

LadyG said:
    » show previous quotes
    There is a theory as to why some countries/regions are getting rebounds in cases, whereas others, behaving identically, are not.

Take two as an example. Israel and Denmark.

They are both affluent, advanced countries. They have similar sized populations and similar population density. Both have good health care. Both flattened the curve early, then did unlockdown

Israel reported 522 new cases today.

Denmark reported.... 10.

So what's happening? The theory is that it's aircon.

Israel is a hot country in summer and it's often much more comfortable to be inside during the heat of the day. Down in the south - Eilat, the Negev it is unbearable and you HAVE to get inside for aircon.

Denmark has cool summers like ours, they barely need aircon. Few places use it.

Aircon is probably spreading this. Aircon explains (in part) the surge in the southern USA as the weather has really warmed up.

Was a theory of @Luckyguy1983 – a known crank on many issues but certainly right in his laudable views on food quality and welfare and probably right on this matter.

Ta for the mention. :)

TBF this theory is quite widespread.

I believe there was once a poster on here back in January who was convinced he caught a dose via the aircon of a Bangkok bar
    Word, and the virus, doth indeed get around
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

On thread, the answer to the paradox is here. YouGov 4-6 July 2020:

Do you think Keir Starmer is doing well or badly as leader
    of the Labour party? Well 46%, badly 23%

Do you believe that at the moment Keir Starmer does or
    does not look like a Prime Minister in waiting? Does 38%, doesn't 34%

Do you believe the Labour party today are or are not ready
    for government? Ready 23%, not ready 54%

PB Tories should be worried by that. Starmer's project over the next 4 years will be to try and reshape Labour in his own image. He will very likely succeed in doing so. If the public comes to appreciate that, and they have 4 years to do so, Labour will be well placed to win in 2024.

Those are the key numbers, voters are coming round to the idea of Starmer as PM and he has won some LD voters back to Labour but Tory voters certainly still do not trust Labour enough to vote for them, which suggests if they do go anywhere it will be LD not Labour
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Andy_JS said:

Another man comes second best to Ms Rowling:

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1280525371503501317?s=20

I think people should stop having arguments on Twitter. It's a waste of time.
    Wouldn't that remove its purpose?

Although mroe seriously I find it almost depressing to see how upset millionaires and billionaires can get on twitter, including about petty issues. Not being super wealthy I am of course vaguely aware money does not solve all your problems or bring contentment in a world full of whatever injustices energises a particualr person, but I'd like to believe it made people content enough that they didn't get worked up into online arguments like me.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "Us and them" narrative again. This is how Starmer is intending to play the game over the next five years.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Here's a quite sober video responding to JKR on transgender issues -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Avcp-e4bOs&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. Will watch.

The one thing that really disturbs me is the medical fashion for giving kids, often really young kids, puberty blocking drugs that can drastically change them for life.

We're talking about kids under TWELVE

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/22/high-court-stop-nhs-giving-puberty-blockers-children

“That treatment is given to children – not just under the age of 16, but under the age of 12 – on the basis that those children themselves consent to the treatment and gave fully informed consent to that treatment, even though the nature of the treatment has side-effects which, we say, supported by the evidence, they cannot properly take into account.”"

How can a child of 12 entirely understand puberty and puberty blocking, and therefore give informed consent?
    That is one area I simply cannot understand the logic outside of genuine medical need. People argue about where the line is between child and adult, and our laws are inconsistent about it (though the counter to that is that not all things can reasonably have the same dividing line between childhood and adulthood), but whatever the personal feelings of a child we don't allow them to make so many choices, particularly ones with major consequences because we decide they are not able to make such a choice.
    Here's a nine year old getting hormone injections

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2385677/nine-year-old-transgender-kid-is-uks-youngest-user-of-anti-puberty-jabs/

To be fair these injections are "temporary" but still. Nine? Hmm.

In America they are socially transitioning at the age of three

https://www.kqed.org/futureofyou/440851/can-you-really-know-that-a-3-year-old-is-transgender

I'm all for adult trans rights. I have a very good friend who is trans, went from male to female in her 30s, and now lives contentedly as a woman. Yay for her and her right to do that.

But these examples of children disturb me.
    It'll either be an example where in 50 years no one will bat an eyelid at such action, or be looked back with the same horror we apply to some horrific medical practice of the 30s.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. Will watch.

The one thing that really disturbs me is the medical fashion for giving kids, often really young kids, puberty blocking drugs that can drastically change them for life.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/22/high-court-stop-nhs-giving-puberty-blockers-children

“That treatment is given to children – not just under the age of 16, but under the age of 12 – on the basis that those children themselves consent to the treatment and gave fully informed consent to that treatment, even though the nature of the treatment has side-effects which, we say, supported by the evidence, they cannot properly take into account.”"

How can a child of 12 entirely understand puberty and puberty blocking, and therefore give informed consent?
    That is one area I simply cannot understand the logic outside of genuine medical need. People argue about where the line is between child and adult, and our laws are inconsistent about it (though the counter to that is that not all things can reasonably have the same dividing line between childhood and adulthood), but whatever the personal feelings of a child we don't allow them to make so many choices, particularly ones with major consequences because we decide they are not able to make such a choice.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2385677/nine-year-old-transgender-kid-is-uks-youngest-user-of-anti-puberty-jabs/

https://www.kqed.org/futureofyou/440851/can-you-really-know-that-a-3-year-old-is-transgender

I'm all for adult trans rights. I have a very good friend who is trans, went from male to female in her 30s, and now lives contentedly as a woman. Yay for her and her right to do that.

All you're doing is posting a stream of extreme and dubious items from extreme and dubious sources. I will leave you to it.

But PB should do this one - transgender rights - properly some day.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Starmer missing the wood for the trees. Surely the issue is that the care sector is for profit which siphons off money which would otherwise be spent on care.

You are speaking like a true leftie there Max!

Welcome, welcome :)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,991

Quincel said:

More interesting is the lack of unknowns compared to 2016...
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think people should stop having arguments on Twitter. It's a waste of time.
    Wouldn't that remove its purpose?

Although mroe seriously I find it almost depressing to see how upset millionaires and billionaires can get on twitter, including about petty issues. Not being super wealthy I am of course vaguely aware money does not solve all your problems or bring contentment in a world full of whatever injustices energises a particualr person, but I'd like to believe it made people content enough that they didn't get worked up into online arguments like me.
    It is quite a spectacle.

Take Graham Linehan. A superb comic writer - Father Ted, Big Train, etc. Yet he has basically scuppered his career and earned notoriety by having endless obsessive and highly aggressive arguments about trans rights.

He should have come to PB.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    Anecdote Alert.

i work with blue collar Tories.

a) They are warming to Starmer
    b) They don't know any key Labour players except RLB, whom they don't like, and they don't know she's gone.
    c) They detest Labour in general and Steve Kinnock in particular. I am in Port Talbot.
    d) They are furious at Cummings and Jenrick (and Steve Kinnock) for breaking lockdown. All three are considered equal. They assume Kinnock drove from Aberavon to London to stay with Neil and Glenys.
    e) They are still somewhat supportive of Johnson, but are tiring fast. Today's comments did not go down well.

A sample of four and not scientific but in general agreement.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

A strong retort. Rowling is nevertheless spouting a lot of drivel on this topic.
    I don't understand the TERF wars, but can you tell me one single important thing that JKR has said, on this subject, that is obviously "drivel"?

As far as I can see she just talks common sense most of the time, or at least the common sense of ten years back.

But I accept my ignorance and am happy to be educated. If you would be so kind.
    OK. Only one for today though.

The notion that many people are being railroaded into changing gender and often regret doing it.

This is false.
    Hundreds of young transgender people are seeking help to return to their original sex, a woman who is setting up a charity has told Sky News.

Charlie Evans, 28, was born female but identified as male for nearly 10 years before detransitioning.

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-of-young-trans-people-seeking-help-to-return-to-original-sex-11827740
    More common in transgender male, I understand. But not common.
    Quite interesting that the two people on that video are talking about the lived experience of someone they are not.
    The guy in that video is clearly genuine and reasonable. He wants to live as man, and is comfortable as a man and should be accepted as such.

A person with breasts and no penis who has declared as a man and wanted to share changing rooms and toilets with men on that basis with no adjustments, maybe not so much.

And vice versa, which I suspect is more important

For me, declaring isn;t enough. Go through with the necessary medical measures and its all fine. I can;t see why it wouldn;t be, for anyone.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,593
    IF Boris is today's reincarnation of Sir Anthony (how standards have fallen) then isn't real question, who will emerge as the next SuperMac?

SuperNak?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    HYUFD said:

PB Tories should be worried by that. Starmer's project over the next 4 years will be to try and reshape Labour in his own image. He will very likely succeed in doing so. If the public comes to appreciate that, and they have 4 years to do so, Labour will be well placed to win in 2024.

Those are the key numbers, voters are coming round to the idea of Starmer as PM and he has won some LD voters back to Labour but Tory voters certainly still do not trust Labour enough to vote for them, which suggests if they do go anywhere it will be LD not Labour
    'Do not trust labour enough to vote for them'

The word missing is 'yet'

The conservatives cannot afford to become complacent and Boris has tarnished his image quite seriously recently

And before you throw 'you are not a conservative as you voted for Blair twice 'I am a full member of the consevative party and intend staying as such
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699
    "The Purity Paradox: How Tolerance and Intolerance Increase at the Same Time
    written by Peter Hughes"

https://quillette.com/2020/06/19/the-purity-paradox-how-tolerance-and-intolerance-increase-at-the-same-time/
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    "Us and them" narrative again. This is how Starmer is intending to play the game over the next five years.
    A few policies would be good though
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,752

rcs1000 said:

My wife posted this, and I think it's much better than the Lincoln Project Russian advert:

This one from the Lincoln Project is more effective than the Russia one.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1280457599884935168

No I didn't like that one at all. Just seems nasty and doesn't address the voters or pull on heartstrings.
    The voters aren't the target. Trump is, to precipitate more loony tunes (not that it takes much). Also journalists and commentators.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    eek said:

Quincel said:

Slight Trump skewed sample according to the 2016 vote there too.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

A strong retort. Rowling is nevertheless spouting a lot of drivel on this topic.
    I don't understand the TERF wars, but can you tell me one single important thing that JKR has said, on this subject, that is obviously "drivel"?

As far as I can see she just talks common sense most of the time, or at least the common sense of ten years back.

But I accept my ignorance and am happy to be educated. If you would be so kind.
    OK. Only one for today though.

The notion that many people are being railroaded into changing gender and often regret doing it.

This is false.
    Hundreds of young transgender people are seeking help to return to their original sex, a woman who is setting up a charity has told Sky News.

Charlie Evans, 28, was born female but identified as male for nearly 10 years before detransitioning.

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-of-young-trans-people-seeking-help-to-return-to-original-sex-11827740
    More common in transgender male, I understand. But not common.
    Quite interesting that the two people on that video are talking about the lived experience of someone they are not.
    The guy in that video is clearly genuine and reasonable. He wants to live as man, and is comfortable as a man and should be accepted as such.

A person with breasts and no penis who has declared as a man and wanted to share changing rooms and toilets with men on that basis with no adjustments, maybe not so much.

And vice versa, which I suspect is more important

For me, declaring isn;t enough. Go through with the necessary medical measures and its all fine. I can;t see why it wouldn;t be, for anyone.
    Yes I think most people understand that for certain people they want to make the change and they should absolutely be supported on doing that but that given the abuse potential there need to be safeguards also.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

But at least she has the wealth and reserve to not be cowed from the debate, and that has to be a good thing, as it is one of those areas people like to declare there is no debate to be had.
    "men are men and women are women and all else is mince"

"you can be exactly what gender you want to be at the click of your fingers"

Of course there's room for debate between these positions. And as I say, if you focus on practicalities, on the bread & butter issues, most reasonable people imo would reach a large amount of agreement.

Bet you and me would, for example. Let's test it out one day.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. Will watch.

All you're doing is posting a stream of extreme and dubious items from extreme and dubious sources. I will leave you to it.

What?

Both articles are, if anything, favourable to the transitioning. You didn't read them, did you?

There are plenty of others. This is a live debate being discussed by rational people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/10/transgender-girl-12-starts-puberty-blockersas-mother-says-knew/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnstaceyennis/2019/10/26/texas-is-afraid-of-a-7-year-old-transgender-girl/#f3b805456fa5

https://www.bmj.com/content/366/bmj.l5647/rapid-responses
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It would be good if he would explain how he would resolve the problems with the care sector

I am very open to listening to him on this subject
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Policies don't come till much later in the cycle for the opposition. That's the Government's job till election/manifesto time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. Will watch.

To be fair these injections are "temporary" but still. Nine? Hmm.

It'll either be an example where in 50 years no one will bat an eyelid at such action, or be looked back with the same horror we apply to some horrific medical practice of the 30s.
    By then, we'll probably all be living in perfect young robot bodies with umpteen different genders you can switch on and off at will, so as to have zero gravity sex with any other combination of equally beautiful multi-gender robots.

At least I hope so.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    LadyG said:

FPT

LadyG said:
    » show previous quotes
    There is a theory as to why some countries/regions are getting rebounds in cases, whereas others, behaving identically, are not.

They are both affluent, advanced countries. They have similar sized populations and similar population density. Both have good health care. Both flattened the curve early, then did unlockdown

Denmark reported.... 10.

Israel is a hot country in summer and it's often much more comfortable to be inside during the heat of the day. Down in the south - Eilat, the Negev it is unbearable and you HAVE to get inside for aircon.

Aircon is probably spreading this. Aircon explains (in part) the surge in the southern USA as the weather has really warmed up.

Was a theory of @Luckyguy1983 – a known crank on many issues but certainly right in his laudable views on food quality and welfare and probably right on this matter.

I believe there was once a poster on here back in January who was convinced he caught a dose via the aircon of a Bangkok bar
    A dose of what?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489

LadyG said:

FPT

LadyG said:
    » show previous quotes

Denmark reported.... 10.

A dose of what?
    The clap.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    LadyG said:

It sounds like a rebellion against the parents initially trying to impose their will on the child, and the child has managed to get the parents to submit:

“We filled her world with trucks, and dinosaurs, and superheroes, and we refused girl things,” Molly said. “Like, ‘No, you can't be Elsa for Halloween. You have to be Superman. No, you can't have the dolls for Christmas. We're going to get you a pirate ship.’”
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

Similarly, Trans Women who still have penises demanding access to Women only spaces - like refuges - where women are fleeing violent men.
  • Options
    TimT - so how's tricks in the great Maryland Free State? Saw in NYT that yer Governor, Larry Hogan, is launching a national book tour, sniffing the air re: his potential prospects for possible 2024 GOP nomination campaign.

Gov. Hogan is one of one of the more popular & better respected Republicans (including with many Democrats) in USA right now, along with Mass. Gov Charlie Baker, former SC Gov & UN Amb. Nicky Haley, & US Sen. Tim Scott also from SC.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    They don't need them yet. Keep the powder dry and don't become hostage to fortune.

Starmer is beginning to impress waverers, but there is still a long way to go, he is still barely known by some of the voters he needs to attract. The spectre of Corbyn still looms large .

Johnson shouldn't be underestimated either by Labour or the Conservatives. I may think the man a fool, but to some he is still electoral magic. Get rid of Johnson for Sunak or Hunt at your peril. They will not take some of the Boris fan club with them.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    edited July 2020

Anecdote Alert.
    I am in Port Talbot.

Near my neck of the woods. Don't worry, I'm not to freak you out and ask to visit you :lol:
  • Options
    Go on Mr Herdson, tell us what you think!

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1280560015267553280?s=20
  • Options

LadyG said:

Similarly, Trans Women who still have penises demanding access to Women only spaces - like refuges - where women are fleeing violent men.
    Or women's changing rooms. Sport is a big issue too.

You ain;t a women, and you ain't mixing with women in these situations, till you've changed your bits, for me. But by all means do that with my full support.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Anecdote Alert.
    I am in Port Talbot.

Near my neck of the woods. Don't worry, I'm not to freak you out and ask to visit you :lol:
    That's where my office is. I reside in the constituency of Swansea export, the fragrant Alun Cairns. I am hoping the 2019 to 2024 parliament will be his last!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:
    Policies don't come till much later in the cycle for the opposition. That's the Government's job till election/manifesto time.
    That's right. Labour's policy development will be, like Starmer, methodical and careful. His first job, which he is doing well on, is to control all the levers of power in the party. Unlike the Tories, Labour's policies are a product of a degree of democracy - NEC, Conference, policy committees etc. Starmer needs to ensure what he wants gets through the Labour system, and this will take time. He's in no great hurry.

When they come, the policies will be radical, green, affordable and smack of common sense. The slogan will be: Labour: a better future for everybody (or something like that).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    WFH for office staff is still out there. Lockdown lite I'd call it now.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

FPT

LadyG said:
    » show previous quotes

Denmark reported.... 10.

But most PB’ers quickly realised he was just a paranoid attention-seeking hypochondriac with a winter cold and self confidence issues.
  • Options
    Francois polled 73% of the vote in Rayleigh and Wickford at the general election.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Well if you only read your post, Boris wrote to us all in March telling us to stay indoors and no-one has written to us since.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Talking about WFH, does anyone know I can get printer ink?

I've looked everywhere and I cannot find any to buy.

I'm contemplating having to buy a new printer.
  • Options
    But what did they ever do to deserve such generous over-representation?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    That’s a bloody awful headline.
    It says in the body that at least another 33% either had them before and they subsided (post-symptomatic) or go on to develop them after the test (pre-symptomatic), but it lends itself to the implication that 80% are asymptomatic, and a whole bunch of wishful thinkers will inevitably cite the headline without reading it and realising what it does say.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Was that poll taken after the pubs closed on Saturday as it seems wholly inaccurate? Were the respondents too tipsy to give a cogent response?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It doesn't help Starmer that he is surrounded by invisible mediocrities.

His Shadow Cabinet is as bad as Corbyn's.

Dodds the Shadow Chancellor? FFS.

Starmer is doing OK but his team selection is dreck

The Tory cabinet line up is piss poor - only Sunak shines
    It's not a team of geniuses but Gove is at least imaginative, Raab is OK-ish, Patel might yet improve, she has potential.

I agree that Gavin Williamson has been over-promoted by orders of magnitude and would struggle to impress in a parish council. He should be gone tomorrow.
    Raab surprised us pleasantly with some firm action against Russian crooks, so maybe he does have a pair after all, even if somewhat diminutive.

It would help if he would get that shitbag Sacoolas back from the US to face trial for killing the kid on the motor-bike, but I expect he needs a different POTUS to achieve that.
    Prince Andrew is family of someone with diplomatic status right?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,306

Very Likely?

How long did it take Labour to recover from the Winter of Discontent and the Longest Suicide Note in History?

How long did it take the Conservatives to recover from Black Wednesday and Sleaze?

How long will it take Labour to recover from the Great Financial Crash, Corbyn and Anti-Semitism?

I suggest that four years would be unprecedented in its rapidity. That polling result rather suggests that Johnson underperformed in the 2019GE.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It's not a team of geniuses but Gove is at least imaginative, Raab is OK-ish, Patel might yet improve, she has potential.

I agree that Gavin Williamson has been over-promoted by orders of magnitude and would struggle to impress in a parish council. He should be gone tomorrow.
    Raab surprised us pleasantly with some firm action against Russian crooks, so maybe he does have a pair after all, even if somewhat diminutive.

It would help if he would get that shitbag Sacoolas back from the US to face trial for killing the kid on the motor-bike, but I expect he needs a different POTUS to achieve that.
    Never going to happen in a million years. No POTUS has ever extradited anyone with diplomatic immunity that I can think of. In America this case is closed.
    She doesn’t have diplomatic immunity

That doesn’t mean she’ll be sent back, but just that they don’t have a legal justification not to. What happened to the extradition case I vaguely remember Raab planning to file?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It's what we keep asking for, apparently.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    rcs1000 said:

Is that because:

(a) the people are presymptomatic
    (b) the people will be asymptomatic
    (c) the people being tested skew younger

Plus:

(d) given how important viral load is, are the people shedding less material?
    A mix of a, b, and e (post-symptomatic)

80% asymptomatic is a massive iceberg effect and could explain why this is dying down so quickly in areas that have already had a peak like London. Hopefully it means we avoid a second peak.
    Unfortunately not, although the crap headline can easily mislead you. Asymptomatic is under 50% in that study (20% symptomatic and 33%+ either had symptoms and recovered but still test positive for a while, or were pre-symptomatic and developed them later).
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    Plus gyms, theatres, swimming pools and nightclubs still shut and quarantine if you travel to the USA, Brazil, Sweden etc
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    IanB2 said:

you seen the lot on the benches opposite? half of them can't chew gum and fart at the same time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Here we go again with the ladette to lady criticism of politicians based on etiquette.

You can almost see the ladies at the Marjorie Herdson political finishing school clutching their pearls. He did what! he told the leader of the armed forces to 'sort himself out!' Insolent, insolent fellow! What would lady de Bourgh say!
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Very Likely?

How long did it take Labour to recover from the Winter of Discontent and the Longest Suicide Note in History?

How long did it take the Conservatives to recover from Black Wednesday and Sleaze?

How long will it take Labour to recover from the Great Financial Crash, Corbyn and Anti-Semitism?

I suggest that four years would be unprecedented in its rapidity. That polling result rather suggests that Johnson underperformed in the 2019GE.
    Indeed, after they lost power in 1979 it took Labour 18 years to win a majority again, same for the Tories for whom it also took 18 years to win another majority after they lost power in 1997.

In 1992 voters were not ready for Kinnock to be PM or a Labour government, in 2010 voters were ready for Cameron to be PM but not yet a Tory majority government.

Starrmer may find himself in a similar position as Cameron which suggests largest party in a hung parliament is his best prospect
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's right. Labour's policy development will be, like Starmer, methodical and careful. His first job, which he is doing well on, is to control all the levers of power in the party. Unlike the Tories, Labour's policies are a product of a degree of democracy - NEC, Conference, policy committees etc. Starmer needs to ensure what he wants gets through the Labour system, and this will take time. He's in no great hurry.

When they come, the policies will be radical, green, affordable and smack of common sense. The slogan will be: Labour: a better future for everybody (or something like that).
    You talk a very good game indeed.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Tescos was ok for a bog standard Canon cartridge a month ago.

It does mean you having to go into Tescos mind.
  • Options

LadyG said:

You ain;t a women, and you ain't mixing with women in these situations, till you've changed your bits, for me. But by all means do that with my full support.
    Question for the House -

How many posters have had a bad experience with a transgender person at any time in any place including toilets or changing rooms?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

I think I'll order a new printer.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Scott_xP said:
    Care homes are privately owned aren't they? Why isn't he blaming the owners?
  • Options
    "The new normal" is a very sinister phrase IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

It's an odd sort of temporary normal till we get a vaccine.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I didn't have you down as a snowflake.

It's a phrase that's been used for years.

My report on MiFID II was titled 'The New Normal'.
  • Options

Very Likely?

The winter of discontent was a minor distraction to what comes after Covid-19.

One of the few disadvantages to incumbency is blame is often apportioned irrespective of desert. That isn't to say I don't believe Johnson is going to get what is due to him electorally after the Covid-19 economic shock.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

Very Likely?

Boris is still ill and not firing on all cylinders. He is also being very stupid and making errors in his statements. He needs a Willy ;)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Get a colour laser.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. Will watch.

What?

Both articles are, if anything, favourable to the transitioning. You didn't read them, did you?

There are plenty of others. This is a live debate being discussed by rational people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/10/transgender-girl-12-starts-puberty-blockersas-mother-says-knew/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnstaceyennis/2019/10/26/texas-is-afraid-of-a-7-year-old-transgender-girl/#f3b805456fa5

The 1st one was from The Sun. I can't click into that.

But yes of course - RATIONAL debate would be great.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Get a colour laser.
    Cheers, this is solely for work, and for me to keep an audit trail.

Will a colour laser be ideal for printing lots of reports?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Question for the House -

How many posters have had a bad experience with a transgender person at any time in any place including toilets or changing rooms?
    or a good experience)
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,827
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. Will watch.

What?

The 1st one was from The Sun. I can't click into that.

But yes of course - RATIONAL debate would be great.
    What is also concerning is parents breaking their childrens' medical confidentiality, presumably for money from the media.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Forget the care homes scandal. The biggest scandal of lockdown is the inflationary effect on printer ink. For the identical remanufactured HP cartridges I was buying for £15 a pair from Amazon, the last lot I got were 35 quid
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

That 23% Ready vs. 54% Not Ready To Govern figure for Labour is devastating - Starmer is the lipstick on a very, very ugly pig.

The last five years have taken Labour so far off the deep end that the public consider the Corbynite snarl, not the bland smile of the boring man in the suit, to be the true face of the party. And they have good reason to do so - as the saying goes, 'When someone shows you who they are, believe them'.

Labour has shown us plenty.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Question for the House -

Never, but there are issues out there, make no mistake. Women don't like them in womens toilets and men don't like them in men's toilets. Until its happened to "you" (not me) you cannot possibly comment.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Charles said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Never going to happen in a million years. No POTUS has ever extradited anyone with diplomatic immunity that I can think of. In America this case is closed.

That doesn’t mean she’ll be sent back, but just that they don’t have a legal justification not to. What happened to the extradition case I vaguely remember Raab planning to file?
    I believe that the Americans still say that she does have diplomatic immunity. I believe the only ones saying she doesn't are on our side of the pond who are affected by the Dunn families campaigning.

That it upsets the Dunn family or is morally wrong doesn't mean she doesn't have diplomatic immunity and I doubt an American court would rule against her or recognise our side as having standing for as long as they claim immunity applies.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It is!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

LadyG said:

The issue has cropped up at the Ladies Pond in Highgate, where I believe transgenders have been welcomed with civility and common sense.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

That 23% Ready vs. 54% Not Ready To Govern figure for Labour is devastating - Starmer is the lipstick on a very, very ugly pig.

The last five years have taken Labour so far off the deep end that the public consider the Corbynite snarl, not the bland smile of the boring man in the suit, to be the true face of the party. And they have good reason to do so - as the saying goes, 'When someone shows you who they are, believe them'.

The proof in the pudding, as they say, will come in the next 3 rounds of local elections.

If Labour aren't gaining oodles of local council seats, they're in trouble.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Get a colour laser.

Yes, I use one.

https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-colour-laser-150nw-wireless-printer-with-wi-fi-white/p4831344

I bought this, it's out of stock but I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.
  • Options
    CNN: Donald Trump's niece Mary Trump levels scathing criticism of the President in her forthcoming book, accusing him of being a "sociopath" and charging that Trump's "hubris and willful ignorance" dating back to his early days threatens the country.

Mary Trump's book, "Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man," accuses Donald Trump's father of creating a toxic family dynamic that best explains how the President acts today. Mary Trump, whose father, Freddy Trump, died following struggles with alcoholism, writes that she could "no longer remain silent" following the past three years of Trump's presidency.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The proof in the pudding, as they say, will come in the next 3 rounds of local elections.

If Labour aren't gaining oodles of local council seats, they're in trouble.
    All things being equal the normal 2021 elections should be very good for Labour, they were last up for election in 2017 when the Tories did really well and people thought the Tories were on course for a 294 seat majority in the general election.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Get a colour laser.

Yes, I use one.
    Ta.
  • Options

LadyG said:

The issue has cropped up at the Ladies Pond in Highgate, where I believe transgenders have been welcomed with civility and common sense.
    What about the female changing rooms at the local leisure centre, with hoards of girls under ten?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320

Charles said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I believe that the Americans still say that she does have diplomatic immunity. I believe the only ones saying she doesn't are on our side of the pond who are affected by the Dunn families campaigning.

That it upsets the Dunn family or is morally wrong doesn't mean she doesn't have diplomatic immunity and I doubt an American court would rule against her or recognise our side as having standing for as long as they claim immunity applies.
    Most Treaties have a disputes procedure, often refering the matter to an international tribunal. I have yet to hear of this being suggested, probably because the outcome is all too predictable.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/22/anne-sacoolas-did-not-have-diplomatic-immunity-in-dunn-case-says-ex-minister
  • Options

LadyG said:

What about the female changing rooms at the local leisure centre, with hoards of girls under ten?
    These are similar to arguments used when homosexuality was decriminalised/the age of the consent was reduced.

You'd have gays hanging outside schools.

The fear didn't match the reality.
  • Options

LadyG said:

What about dads taking their daughters into male changing rooms?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,653
    kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

LadyG said:

kinabalu said:

Thanks. Will watch.

It should.
    Not an easy task, though, as there seems to be no common frame of reference, and a large number of people simply don’t want to engage.

This is a pretty good article about the mutual incomprehension between Rowling and those who grew up reading her books...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/07/why-millennial-harry-potter-fans-reject-jk-rowling/613870/
  • Options

Charles said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Most Treaties have a disputes procedure, often refering the matter to an international tribunal. I have yet to hear of this being suggested, probably because the outcome is all too predictable.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/22/anne-sacoolas-did-not-have-diplomatic-immunity-in-dunn-case-says-ex-minister
    I agree. The idea that immunity wouldn't apply to dependents would be laughed out of any international tribunal. So too the idea it wouldn't apply to road traffic accidents - RTAs are the stereotypical example of where diplomatic immunity goes wrong and how it still applies.
  • Options

LadyG said:

These are similar to arguments used when homosexuality was decriminalised/the age of the consent was reduced.

You'd have gays hanging outside schools.

The fear didn't match the reality.
    Yeah but in this case the fear would be having hairy female b*llocks swinging around in front of five year olds.

Is it really too much too ask to get people to have treatment if they want to transition? its free FFS.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

We got some from Amazon on a 48-hour turn-round. Plenty in stock - I suppose if you have a more obscure printer it might be more difficult. I wouldn't bother going into a store - their stocks have been badly depleted by the new cohort of homeworkers.

• Options

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Question for the House -

Never, but there are issues out there, make no mistake. Women don't like them in womens toilets and men don't like them in men's toilets. Until its happened to "you" (not me) you cannot possibly comment.
    This sounds exactly like some of the discourse around gays in previous times.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=printer+ink&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    I know he is/was not a proper Lib Dem, but FFS.

Having worked for Nick Clegg, he’s now spinning for the Saudis and China.

Wonder how he sleeps at night.
  • Options
    One of those people Francois represents.
    Or his mum.

https://twitter.com/drjawalsh/status/1280535666393255936?s=20
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

You talk a very good game indeed.
    Thanks - somebody has to be optimistic.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Question for the House -

This sounds exactly like some of the discourse around gays in previous times.
    ??
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

Question for the House -

This sounds exactly like some of the discourse around gays in previous times.</blockquote

Yes and we used to hear the same sort of talk about paedophiles too...oh.....er..
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited July 2020
    Yes I think the number of times outside the imagination of a few that those "what about some bloke in the ladies' changing room" actually had happened must be tiny.

Certainly not enough to discriminate against the vast majority of sincere people who want to transition.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Quincel said:

Slight Trump skewed sample according to the 2016 vote there too.
    Keep in mind that some people mis-remember for whom they actually voted in last election. Tendency is for the winner to pick up votes retrospectively.

BUT in this as in MANY other ways, Trumpsky is bucking the trend.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

I've said before the care homes scandal is the one area for which (apart from the true partisans) there isn't going to be much sympathy for Johnson or Hancock. I think the latter should resign over what has happened by the way.

I understand, having seen what was happening in Northern Italy and elsewhere, there was a real fear a widespread outbreak would overwhelm ICU beds in particular but hospitals in general.

A decision was taken to clear the hospitals and again I get that but to what extent, if any, were patients tested for Covid-19 before being released? It was already well established the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions were particularly vulnerable to Covid-19 in a way other parts of the population weren't.

Releasing untested patients back to care homes was a catastrophe in the making and if it was done in the full knowledge such individuals could transmit the virus through the care home population even worse. It doesn't matter what happened in Spain, Italy or France or to use their experiences as cover. Hancock is the Health Minister for England and part of the UK Government and therefore must accept a degree of responsibility for actions taken by those in or linked to his Department.

As for the care homes, this is the other aspect of the scandal. Many local councils have long since outsourced the running of the homes to groups like Anchor under long term contract but all such places (and indeed all private and public residential facilities) should be under the regimen of the CQC and frequent inspections.

The local authorities go through the assessment process and try to find what they can based on the circumstances prevailing and the current system isn't fir for purpose - we all know that. The Conservative fixation on inheritance is one thing but the fact is we all support the public care homes through Council Tax and general taxation.

It's part of a long overdue and much needed debate about how we treat the elderly in our society - what should life be like when you are 70, 80, 90 or beyond? It shouldn't be a life of confusion, pain and loneliness but for some it is but should we be empowering families to take care of elderly relatives at home? Should we be looking at greater tax breaks for carers, building houses for extended families rather than more and more flats?
  • Options

One of those people Francois represents.
    Or his mum.

https://twitter.com/drjawalsh/status/1280535666393255936?s=20

Francois represents about 100,000 people in his constituency.
This discussion has been closed.