Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Finding the right frontrunner. Mixed messages from the Lib Dem

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1279697907956973568

Have to say, if this is the result now and Brexit mess is still to come, I can see this achieving over 60% support

I do wonder why so many people are so convinced a "Brexit mess" is coming. I predict it will be as ephemeral as the widely predicted "drunken carnage" last night.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    MaxPB said:

Around here pubs seemed pretty dead.

This is why I think the economy is screwed, people are not going to be going out in a hurry.

Several friends sent me vid clips from empty pubs. Which is good news for pandemic control, bad news for the pubs. Do people want to go to pubs as much? Drinking at home is so much cheaper
    Certainly what me and my friends have found. Why bother when you can drink in your garden (if you're lucky enough to have one)?

Personally, I think as long as the risk of corona is there, people will go out less and spend less money. And that is why encouraging people won't work as there want to protect themselves overrides any idea to spend money.

Additionally, I have certainly found I can save a lot of money by not doing things I don't really miss and I intend to continue that.

I really think we're in a giant mess.
    Not only have I found I don’t need to spend money on so many things anymore, I am also shit-scared of losing my job. My household income is already down around 20%.

I am praying for a V-shape, but I can’t see it.
    Some advanced data we've been seeing (backed up by the Bank a few weeks after I first posted about it) - the economy is bouncing back, order books are filling up, certain sectors are having to recall workers earlier than expected, non-hospitality services are growing again, and at a pretty fast rate, manufacturing is growing much faster than expected.

Businesses are waiting to see what the fall out of the 4th July opening is in terms of viral growth before committing more money to recalling employees. We should get a good sense of the latter by early next week, if there's no spike in infections then I expect another wave of employees being recalled and economic growth to pick up again.

The advanced data research team thinks we'll end up at -7% for the year without a vaccine and at -1% with a vaccine. I'm a bit more pessimistic but around that level.
    Yes, and I have heard similar from other analysts. It is some reassurance. But I don’t see it on the street. Consumer spending seems permanently dented - whether from fear of going outside; renewed prudency; or increased economic insecurity.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,128

Have to say, if this is the result now and Brexit mess is still to come, I can see this achieving over 60% support

https://twitter.com/JohnFerry18/status/1279709621121318912
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

Its interesting to look back at the Lib Dem policies for the last election: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50459123

Stop Brexit has already flown but once you take that out the paucity of ambition is painful. A penny for the NHS (again). 20k more teachers. Well, its a nice round number. Free childcare. They should ask the Scottish government how that works or doesn't. 80% of energy from renewables by 2030. Presumably all campaigns against windfarms etc are to be banned. A tax on frequent flyers. Seems a bit irrelevant right now.

It doesn't exactly set the pulse racing does it? Given the lack of interest I genuinely don't know if either of the candidates have come up with anything better.

I agree with those down thread that say that Green is a way for the Lib Dems to go. Some of their former policies already fit that theme and they could add things like rapid build out of electrical charging point infrastructure in city centres with an early target for the banning of diesel and petrol vehicles everywhere air quality targets are being threatened.

Legalisation of drugs is one policy the LibDems could go for.
    I believe legalising cannabis is already party policy, other drugs not yet.
    Legalising them is an excellent liberal idea I would wholeheartedly support. I'd go as far as legalising cocaine too.

Which is not to say I support people taking it or think it's a good idea to take it - it's stupid. But if it's going to be sold better by legitimate businesses without quality control and licensing regulations and safeguarding regulations (and taxes) than gangsters with knives and guns.
    The important thing to to legalise, control and regulate the entire supply chain. From the farming to the user.
    "And up until 1916 Harrods would sell you a bump of cocaine."
    https://a-broad-in-london.com/blog/2019/4/17/harrods-the-secrets-inside-the-most-beautiful-amp-famous-store-in-the-world
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,535

MaxPB said:

This is why I think the economy is screwed, people are not going to be going out in a hurry.

Several friends sent me vid clips from empty pubs. Which is good news for pandemic control, bad news for the pubs. Do people want to go to pubs as much? Drinking at home is so much cheaper
    Certainly what me and my friends have found. Why bother when you can drink in your garden (if you're lucky enough to have one)?

Personally, I think as long as the risk of corona is there, people will go out less and spend less money. And that is why encouraging people won't work as there want to protect themselves overrides any idea to spend money.

Additionally, I have certainly found I can save a lot of money by not doing things I don't really miss and I intend to continue that.

Not only have I found I don’t need to spend money on so many things anymore, I am also shit-scared of losing my job. My household income is already down around 20%.

Some advanced data we've been seeing (backed up by the Bank a few weeks after I first posted about it) - the economy is bouncing back, order books are filling up, certain sectors are having to recall workers earlier than expected, non-hospitality services are growing again, and at a pretty fast rate, manufacturing is growing much faster than expected.

Businesses are waiting to see what the fall out of the 4th July opening is in terms of viral growth before committing more money to recalling employees. We should get a good sense of the latter by early next week, if there's no spike in infections then I expect another wave of employees being recalled and economic growth to pick up again.

The advanced data research team thinks we'll end up at -7% for the year without a vaccine and at -1% with a vaccine. I'm a bit more pessimistic but around that level.
    An interesting factor is the behaviour of companies in the supply chains.

Many have furloughed nearly all the staff. On building supplier is trying to run its operations with a couple of secretaries, while orders are piling up.

This causes me to wonder - how many businesses will go under because of this kind of stupidity?

Alternatively, will we suddenly find the productivity gap closing in the UK?
    Any middle manager still on furlough should be seriously worried.
    Within a decade, there will be no middle managers. Investment Banks will look like this :

There will be

Technologists - developers, data scientists.
    Traders
    Sales

Team leads - People running the above
    Top management - *maybe* 2 layers.

The gap will be filled by automated data aggregation/collection systems.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Many have furloughed nearly all the staff. On building supplier is trying to run its operations with a couple of secretaries, while orders are piling up.

This causes me to wonder - how many businesses will go under because of this kind of stupidity?

Doesn't seem stupid to me. Getting people back to take orders first and then to bring back others afterwards seems entirely logical to me. Better than bringing everyone back in one go and have them twiddling their thumbs.

And for smart employers this is a unique opportunity to smartly bring people back slowly and find out exactly who is required and who is surplus to requirements in a way that can't normally be done. Not a good time to be someone your employer doesn't hold in high regard I suspect!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    HYUFD said:

Ding dong.

https://twitter.com/PeatWorrier/status/1279666527281852416?s=20

Seems Panelbase have cornered the market in Scotch polling.

....and its irrelevant because there isn't going to be a poll that the sainted Nicola doesn't really want .. Agitate for it but have it.. naaah...
    Well, no one cares what you think, but I look forward to your overlords carrying one with that same line.

'Curtice said: “Never before have the foundations of public support for the Union looked so weak. Unsurprisingly, for many nationalists, the past three months have exemplified how Scotland could govern itself better as an independent, small country. More importantly, it may have persuaded some former unionists of the merits of that claim, too.”

There is increasing gloom among senior unionist politicians in Conservative and Labour ranks in Scotland that independence is inevitable.'
    It does look that way. It's very sad. As a Unionist resident in Edinburgh I'm not sure how I can convince people not to want to be Independent. Identities, once formed, are hard to change.

Looking back, the 2015 GE campaign looks crucial. The Conservatives in England made the choice to trade Scotland in return for political advantage in England, by arguing that a Labour government with support from SNP MPs would be something to fear.

They learnt the lesson that bashing Scotland was to their advantage in England, and they haven't looked back.
    Yes but as the Tories will block indyref2 and Sturgeon has said she will not declare UDI, unless and until Labour form another UK government there will be no second independence referendum and need to campaign for the Union
    Like a broken record...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ding dong.

....and its irrelevant because there isn't going to be a poll that the sainted Nicola doesn't really want .. Agitate for it but have it.. naaah...
    Well, no one cares what you think, but I look forward to your overlords carrying one with that same line.

'Curtice said: “Never before have the foundations of public support for the Union looked so weak. Unsurprisingly, for many nationalists, the past three months have exemplified how Scotland could govern itself better as an independent, small country. More importantly, it may have persuaded some former unionists of the merits of that claim, too.”

There is increasing gloom among senior unionist politicians in Conservative and Labour ranks in Scotland that independence is inevitable.'
    It does look that way. It's very sad. As a Unionist resident in Edinburgh I'm not sure how I can convince people not to want to be Independent. Identities, once formed, are hard to change.

Looking back, the 2015 GE campaign looks crucial. The Conservatives in England made the choice to trade Scotland in return for political advantage in England, by arguing that a Labour government with support from SNP MPs would be something to fear.

They learnt the lesson that bashing Scotland was to their advantage in England, and they haven't looked back.
    Yes but as the Tories will block indyref2 and Sturgeon has said she will not declare UDI, unless and until Labour form another UK government there will be no second independence referendum and need to campaign for the Union
    Like a broken record...
    Something's definitely broken ...
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

Its interesting to look back at the Lib Dem policies for the last election: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50459123

Stop Brexit has already flown but once you take that out the paucity of ambition is painful. A penny for the NHS (again). 20k more teachers. Well, its a nice round number. Free childcare. They should ask the Scottish government how that works or doesn't. 80% of energy from renewables by 2030. Presumably all campaigns against windfarms etc are to be banned. A tax on frequent flyers. Seems a bit irrelevant right now.

It doesn't exactly set the pulse racing does it? Given the lack of interest I genuinely don't know if either of the candidates have come up with anything better.

I agree with those down thread that say that Green is a way for the Lib Dems to go. Some of their former policies already fit that theme and they could add things like rapid build out of electrical charging point infrastructure in city centres with an early target for the banning of diesel and petrol vehicles everywhere air quality targets are being threatened.

Legalising them is an excellent liberal idea I would wholeheartedly support. I'd go as far as legalising cocaine too.

Which is not to say I support people taking it or think it's a good idea to take it - it's stupid. But if it's going to be sold better by legitimate businesses without quality control and licensing regulations and safeguarding regulations (and taxes) than gangsters with knives and guns.
    Michael Gove agrees with you on legalising cocaine, I believe.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_xP said:
    Scott - you think Huawei would be a good partner?

You would have no concerns, none at all?
  • Options

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

I don't think he does unfortunately. I think he should.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

Is that the Government line?

I will get my coat.....
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Tories are weak on the Union, and the SNP are obsessed with national identity, with a poor record on health, education and economic outcomes.

Labour has an opportunity to set out a vision for a stronger, prouder, more prosperous Scotland.

First step is get rid of that idiot Leonard.
  • Options

The Tories are weak on the Union, and the SNP are obsessed with national identity, with a poor record on health, education and economic outcomes.

Labour has an opportunity to set out a vision for a stronger, prouder, more prosperous Scotland.

Very good!

We all need a good laugh sometimes. That was very amusing.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881

Whom would you rather see in charge, as a matter of interest? And do they have any skeletons in or out of cupbaords, such as Jackie Baillie's support for Trident, which might not go down well in the members' election?
  • Options

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

The important thing to to legalise, control and regulate the entire supply chain. From the farming to the user.
    "And up until 1916 Harrods would sell you a bump of cocaine."
    https://a-broad-in-london.com/blog/2019/4/17/harrods-the-secrets-inside-the-most-beautiful-amp-famous-store-in-the-world
    And consumers were no doubt safer purchasing from Harrods than from county lines gangs.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    Floater said:

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

I will get my coat.....
    White lines matter.

(apologies, I think somebody posted that a while ago)
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

MaxPB said:

The basic problem for the Lib Dems is that Davey and Moran shouldn't be in the same party. Moran is a raging identity politics lefty who seems like she would fit in with Corbynite Labour and Davey would be better making a stand in the Tory party and taking it back to Cameron politics.

People have realised that the party can't stand up to the rigours of government, they have too many internal contradictions and incompatible policies from both wings of the party.

Until the yellows decide to be one or the other wing they will be struggling to get to into the teens. Out of the EU, I'd vote for the Liberal party, I might even join it. I'd never join or vote for a political movement that people like @RochdalePioneers calls home. Therein lies the problem.

All political parties above a certain size have to be a coalition of different ideas - because there are so many different ideas. This is true of the Conservatives and Labour, probably to a greater extent than the Lib Dems. It isn't at all surprising that at either extreme (on a left-right axis) that the Lib Dems will overlap with the two other parties.

What parties need to have is a minimal set of common ideas that they agree on which sets them apart from the other parties. For Labour I would argue that it is the basic idea that the free market sees the strong prey on the weak, and the weak can use the power of the state to protect them. For the Tories it's a bit trickier for me to come up with what this unifying idea is, because I am so used to being critical of them. Perhaps it is that only individuals can help themselves, because only individuals know what help they want, and so the state should stay out of the way as much as possible.

This sets up a fairly clear divide. On the one hand Labour will always argue that "something must be done", while Tories will instinctively argue that "if we do something it will make things worse".

I'm not sure where the Lib Dems fit in to this. People will always wonder whose side they are on. They need to be able to define a third side, in opposition to the two that I have identified, but I don't see the space for one. Maybe, through the process of writing this comment I've come to realise that I agree with the one I was replying to.
    VERY crudely, I would say those on the right prioritise equality of opportunity, those on the left equality of outcome.

It is very easy to find counter examples on both sides as politics is the art of the possible, (and of course giving the people you want to vote for you what they think they want plays a big part) but that seems to me the fundamental difference; both want a fair society but disagree about the definition of “fair”.
  • Options

Floater said:

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

I will get my coat.....
    White lines matter.

(apologies, I think somebody posted that a while ago)
    All this razor-sharp wit today.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Carnyx said:

Whom would you rather see in charge, as a matter of interest? And do they have any skeletons in or out of cupbaords, such as Jackie Baillie's support for Trident, which might not go down well in the members' election?
    Sarwar. And get rid of Trident in favour of a quantum computing capability in Glasgow.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,128
    Floater said:

Scott - you think Huawei would be a good partner?

You would have no concerns, none at all?

As noted upthread, they are already embedded. If they are siphoning off data from the broadband network, it already happened.

There is an argument to be made that it might be better to limit them in future, but that doesn't change the fact that we are only doing it now because the Brexiteers can't afford to upset the Americans
  • Options

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

Agreed 100%. Be good for global security and potentially balance of payments too getting it developed by a Diageo style business rather than Columbian or Afghani gangs associated with terrorist groups.
  • Options
    There is no justification for *not* supporting a wealth tax, but it needs to be accompanied by the elimination of stamp duty and council tax.
  • Options
    Wealth tax is a popular policy, it consistently polls well.

The key for Labour is targeting. A wealth tax to raise X to fund X. That is the key.

@Gardenwalker the key is to get the state building again.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,166

Very good!

We all need a good laugh sometimes. That was very amusing.
    He's right about Leonard though. SLAB have had quite a few terrible leaders in the past decade, but Leonard is arguably the worst of the lot. He's just a complete and utter irrelevance.
  • Options
    Leonard is terrible.

Murray should go for it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Ding dong.

Except that why should Conservatives (or anybody else) in England welcome a Labour minority Government - led by anyone, let alone Jeremy Corbyn - propped up by Scottish Nationalist votes? Rejecting that idea has nothing whatsoever to do with "bashing Scotland" and everything to do with not wanting our domestic Government puppeteered by a movement which only stands for election in Scotland, only cares about Scotland and which was created for the sole purpose of getting away from the rest of the UK just as soon as possible.

It's also worth reminding everyone at this stage that the Union hasn't been brought to the point of death by the English, who are the usual scapegoats for Scottish Unionists who feel eternally let down by us. The Scottish Unionists themselves are responsible for garrotting that which they claimed to cherish. The Scottish Parliament and the associated warped model of asymmetric devolution was championed by Dewar, Robertson and all the rest of the myopic Scottish Labour numpties who thought that they could at once create a one-party state that they would control forever, "kill Nationalism stone dead" AND somehow achieve all of this with no consequences whatever for Scotland's relationship with England. The Scottish Tories then finished the job by propping up the first SNP Government in exchange for being petted and fed the occasional biscuit by Salmond, all the while playing along with the "more powers" agenda and showing zero interest in creating a sustainable settlement - either through campaigning to scrap devolution or, if we assume that this would've been impossible to sell, demanding full federalism with a fixed end point to the devolution process.

This isn't all on the Scottish Unionists - Blair didn't have the foresight to see where devolution would end, either - but ultimately it was you lot who insisted on special treatment and thought you could get away with it, and it's no use blaming the English (Tory or otherwise) for the results. Do not turn your gaze southwards in the search for Britain's assassin. Look down, and see the length of bloody piano wire in your own hands.
  • Options

The key for Labour is targeting. A wealth tax to raise X to fund X. That is the key.

We don't need the state building.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Sarwar. And get rid of Trident in favour of a quantum physics capability in Glasgow.
    Hmm. Would he win? He had problems in 2017 when he lost to Mr Leonard, and I'm not sure he has remedied them completely.

Trident is of course reserved to Westminster ...
  • Options

There is no justification for *not* supporting a wealth tax, but it needs to be accompanied by the elimination of stamp duty and council tax.
    No justification? Try “defining what is meant by wealth is too difficult to be done anything like fairly”.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,354

Just as a matter of interest how much wealth tax would you pay and where is your starting point
  • Options

Yeah I agree. There’s no need for the the “state” to build. There’s no shortage of private builders.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_xP said:
    That's true for all countries, not just the UK, and the EU is powerless* to stop what is happening.

The US has not presented a credible case that Huawei's kit is insecure, and the UK's own assessment does not concur, so instead the US is making Huawei's business impossible, or at least so problematic that customers will not want to risk ordering from them.

If Huawei can't buy chips from the likes of Intel and AMD (for servers), or the likes of Broadcom (for routers), and can't buy tools for designing hardware, and can't get chips manufactured as the US goverment leans on the likes of TSMC, and can't license IP from the likes of ARM, then Huawei is pretty much stuffed, and nobody outside of China is going to buy Huawei kit given the likely supply problems.

This is bad news for the UK, as it means we will pay more for arguably worse kit from the two remaining viable suppliers of 5G equipment. Which in turn will make our networks more homogenous and less secure.

The long term solution is more open standards and a much greater diversity of suppliers, but we are many, many years away from that being viable.

* About the only thing the EU could plausibly do in the short term is some sort of tit-for-tat action against US companies, but that would not end well, it would simply accelerate the technological Balkanisation that is occuring.
  • Options

Yeah I agree. There’s no need for the the “state” to build. There’s no shortage of private builders.
    Since Thatcher in effect banned the state from building, we have never sustained house building demand. It is essential the state builds, as well as the private sector.

If the private sector can build alone and meet demand then fine - but there is little evidence they can.

I am fairly relaxed about this one, we just need to build a shit tonne more houses.
  • Options

Any tax that most of those polled don’t think they will have to pay will be popular. It would become less so if you asked what people think about a tax on their pension pots...
  • Options
    And sometimes governments have to make unpopular decisions

Government by opinion poll is barking
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Since Thatcher in effect banned the state from building, we have never sustained house building demand. It is essential the state builds, as well as the private sector.

If the private sector can build alone and meet demand then fine - but there is little evidence they can.

I am fairly relaxed about this one, we just need to build a shit tonne more houses.
    That is a southern England problem. There’s no shortage of housing here in the North East. There’s plenty of land and tens of thousands of homes are being built.

The problem in the south is planning law, or the green belt.

The state has no business building homes...
  • Options

That is a southern England problem. There’s no shortage of housing here in the North East. There’s plenty of land and tens of thousands of homes are being built.

The state has no capacity for building homes
  • Options

Irrelevant. If people are scared they won't go out and spend money. That is why we're - I believe - very screwed.
  • Options

Leonard is terrible.

Murray should go for it.

Slight problem - he was reported as advising people to vote Tory rather than Labour to keep the SNP out, so long as Tories voted Labour in constituencies such as his own, naturally. Interview with the Graun in 2017.

Also, he's a Westminster MP. Not exactly FM material therefore.
  • Options

I’m not sure that’s quite true. There’s a clear profit to be made building homes, and thus if the Government did have a “national house-builder” it would likely be profitable.

If you’re talking about subsidised homes then well that’s a different conversation.
  • Options

Irrelevant. If people are scared they won't go out and spend money. That is why we're - I believe - very screwed.
    No we are not.

The economy may surprise you
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,680
    edited July 2020
    Titbit: I hadn't noticed until checking Lib Dem required swings this AM after this interesting piece (thanks) that Labour now has a majority of women amongst its MPs.

On-topic. If Daisy Cooper is sensible she will spend her entire first term digging in.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    This actually wouldn't be a terrible idea. 1st Division has just become a repository for half the army's infantry battalions with zero logistical, comms, engineering or artillery support. So what's the fucking point of it? It can't be deployed for anything other than brawling in pubs.
  • Options

No we are not.

If people aren't going out to spend money as I demonstrated to you with the poll that people are scared, we are screwed.

As usual something that doesn't agree with you, you just ignore.

Talking to you is almost a waste of time and I have almost ran out of patience with you quite frankly.
  • Options

No justification? Try “defining what is meant by wealth is too difficult to be done anything like fairly”.
    The great majority of wealth is held in property, pensions, and shares.
  • Options

How would property wealth be calculated? For example my house is worth circa 240K but my equity in said home is much lower than that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Incidentally, I looked through that Epstein address book someone posted on here and was not that surprised to find that I knew personally a number of the people listed and even less surprised to find that I have investigated one, for alleged corruption of public officials.

Boring as it may seem I am rather more interested in how Epstein made - and kept - his money. He seems to have risen without trace.

The sorts of people who were friendly with Epstein are exactly the sorts of people you would *expect* to be friendly with him.

The odd thing is (going solely by his wikipedia entry) is that he lost huge amounts of money on numerous occasions. Perhaps his fortune was nowhere near what people thought it was.
    Money laundering is what came to my mind.
  • Options

I’m not sure that’s quite true. There’s a clear profit to be made building homes, and thus if the Government did have a “national house-builder” it would likely be profitable.

If you’re talking about subsidised homes then well that’s a different conversation.
    And of course they do not have a national house builder
  • Options

But they do. They are called "local councils".
  • Options

No we are not.

If people aren't going out to spend money as I demonstrated to you with the poll that people are scared, we are screwed.

As usual something that doesn't agree with you, you just ignore.

Talking to you is almost a waste of time and I have almost ran out of patience with you quite frankly.
    I am not fazed about that but if you saw the economic activity yesterday and the activity I have witnessed locally the economy will see the beginning of a recovery
  • Options

How would property wealth be calculated? For example my house is worth circa 240K but my equity in said home is much lower than that.
    Like you say, your house is worth circa 240k.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,680

Housing is relatively easy.

The tough one is land, where you will be taxed on what an official guesses it is worth - without ever knowing whether it is suitable eg for having housing built there. To find that out costs perhaps 20k a hectare - ie going for outline permission.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,017

There is a great need for social and low cost housing - a Government, either directly or via local councils, quangos and Housing Associations is in a better position to supply that demand than the private sector.

And if you want evidence of that look at the housing benefit bill..
  • Options

But that is not my “wealth”. That is the bank’s wealth.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yes but not quite a national builder
  • Options
    MattW said:

The tough one is land, where you will be taxed on what an official guesses it is worth - without ever knowing whether it is suitable eg for having housing built there. To find that out costs perhaps 20k a hectare - ie going for outline permission.
    In NZ there is still a “rates” system.
    Property (inc land) values are estimated and updated regularly by a independent body.

You can contest the values if you like.

It is entirely uncontroversial.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Incidentally, I looked through that Epstein address book someone posted on here and was not that surprised to find that I knew personally a number of the people listed and even less surprised to find that I have investigated one, for alleged corruption of public officials.

Boring as it may seem I am rather more interested in how Epstein made - and kept - his money. He seems to have risen without trace.

The sorts of people who were friendly with Epstein are exactly the sorts of people you would *expect* to be friendly with him.

The odd thing is (going solely by his wikipedia entry) is that he lost huge amounts of money on numerous occasions. Perhaps his fortune was nowhere near what people thought it was.
    One plausible explanation for Epstein's wealth is that he basically ran a tracker fund. His cronies would invest in Epstein's fund, so he'd rake off management fees and the investors would be richer as the market always went up.
    Given that he and Maxwell procured a string of underage girls there are of course alternative possibilities?
    The question was how Epstein made money. I cannot rule out that the reason the wealthy invested in Epstein's fund was sex, though in truth I suspect it was less about rubbing 17-year-olds and more about rubbing shoulders with the elite: royalty, presidents and billionaires.
    But how did he get into the position of having a fund in the first place?
    According to Wikipedia, Epstein had a background in Wall Street.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein#Banking
    That background - and those clients - screams money laundering to me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

Jesus Christ in 2019 the "wreckers" had all been kicked out and Labour did worse.
    Facts don't matter, only worship.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    edited July 2020
    58% of Tory voters in England believe the UK government should not grant Scotland an indyref2 despite Brexit as the important issues are 'all or mostly the same'. Scottish Tory voters believe Boris should block indyref2 by a huge 85% to 13% margin.

Overall 42% of English voters believe Boris should block indyref2, 37% think he should allow it according to the details of the Panelbase poll

https://wingsoverscotland.com/shiny-beads-and-trinkets/
  • Options
    edited July 2020

MaxPB said:

What about the flunkey of a middle manager? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

58% of Tory voters in England believe the UK government should not grant Scotland an indyref2 despite Brexit as the important issues are 'all or mostly the same'

Overall 42% of English voters believe Boris should block indyref2, 37% think he should allow it according to the details of the Panelbase poll

https://wingsoverscotland.com/shiny-beads-and-trinkets/

Fascinating.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,235

Ding dong.

Except that why should Conservatives (or anybody else) in England welcome a Labour minority Government - led by anyone, let alone Jeremy Corbyn - propped up by Scottish Nationalist votes? Rejecting that idea has nothing whatsoever to do with "bashing Scotland" and everything to do with not wanting our domestic Government puppeteered by a movement which only stands for election in Scotland, only cares about Scotland and which was created for the sole purpose of getting away from the rest of the UK just as soon as possible.

It's also worth reminding everyone at this stage that the Union hasn't been brought to the point of death by the English, who are the usual scapegoats for Scottish Unionists who feel eternally let down by us. The Scottish Unionists themselves are responsible for garrotting that which they claimed to cherish. The Scottish Parliament and the associated warped model of asymmetric devolution was championed by Dewar, Robertson and all the rest of the myopic Scottish Labour numpties who thought that they could at once create a one-party state that they would control forever, "kill Nationalism stone dead" AND somehow achieve all of this with no consequences whatever for Scotland's relationship with England. The Scottish Tories then finished the job by propping up the first SNP Government in exchange for being petted and fed the occasional biscuit by Salmond, all the while playing along with the "more powers" agenda and showing zero interest in creating a sustainable settlement - either through campaigning to scrap devolution or, if we assume that this would've been impossible to sell, demanding full federalism with a fixed end point to the devolution process.

This isn't all on the Scottish Unionists - Blair didn't have the foresight to see where devolution would end, either - but ultimately it was you lot who insisted on special treatment and thought you could get away with it, and it's no use blaming the English (Tory or otherwise) for the results. Do not turn your gaze southwards in the search for Britain's assassin. Look down, and see the length of bloody piano wire in your own hands.
    Yes, but your starting point ignores that English Thatcherism was imposed on a Scottish populace that never voted for it.
  • Options

On one level yes your wealth is the current value less loan amount - however the property will one day by yours so it's no great leap to say you should be taxed on it's current market value..

And if you want to pay less tax buy a different (cheaper) property
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

This actually wouldn't be a terrible idea. 1st Division has just become a repository for half the army's infantry battalions with zero logistical, comms, engineering or artillery support. So what's the fucking point of it? It can't be deployed for anything other than brawling in pubs.
    That could be very necessary if the worst predictions of lockdown easing chaos come to pass. Good pub brawlers could swing the tide.
  • Options

Ok. I largely think any wealth tax should be levied on the full value of your property for practical reasons, but if you want to levy it only is on the un-mortgaged equity - obviously that is easy to work out too.
  • Options

Ok. I largely think any wealth tax should be levied on the full value of your property for practical reasons, but if you want to levy it only is on the un-mortgaged equity - obviously that is easy to work out too.
    Complexity creates loopholes - so you really should make things as simple as possible.

Taxing on current market value is the sanest approach
  • Options
    Tres said:

Ding dong.

Yes, but your starting point ignores that English Thatcherism was imposed on a Scottish populace that never voted for it.
    I think another weakness in BlackRook's analysis - and it is an interesting one, and I'm not doing it down as a whole, just adding to it - is that it does not take into account 2014-2015 when the Tory response to winning INdyref was to downgrade Scottish MPs at Westminster the vcery next morning, and to regard the existence of elected Scottish MPs in Westminster, taking part in coalition politics, as somehow inherently illegitimate (photoshopped photos of Mr Miliband in Mr Salmond's pocket). Those were certainly not acts of the Scottish C&UP, but the Scots Tories got some of the blame - and partly fairly in that they supported them.
  • Options

You and @eek make good points, I was merely playing devil’s advocate.
    What percentage of the property value is such a tax likely to be? 1% for example would be much higher than my current council tax liability, which I’m currently exempt from anyway due to my student status.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,535

MaxPB said:

Doesn't seem stupid to me. Getting people back to take orders first and then to bring back others afterwards seems entirely logical to me. Better than bringing everyone back in one go and have them twiddling their thumbs.

And for smart employers this is a unique opportunity to smartly bring people back slowly and find out exactly who is required and who is surplus to requirements in a way that can't normally be done. Not a good time to be someone your employer doesn't hold in high regard I suspect!
    It is stupid when you have orders backing up, failing to be delivered etc, because the couple of secretaries in the office aren't actually capable of running a business that normally has orders of magnitude more staff.

Apparently un-furloghing, say 5 at a time, is a concept beyond these people.

• Options

Is it? My most important asset is my education, training and experience.

And even if what you say is true, the values of each of those would be subject to massive change if one or more of those is taxed.

Taxing land or houses works as the cannot be easily hidden. The valuation of them is the sort of problem that can bring down a government (the Poll Tax as it became known was an attempt to avoid having to revalue all of the UK housing for the purpose of rates), but taxing someone on the basis of how the stock market is doing would be a great way of destroying the ability of firms to use it to raise funds through it.

• Options

Two of the best ways of taxing property wealth are:-

1. Having more council tax bands at the higher end.
    2. Abolishing the PPR exemption from CGT and levying it when a house is sold. No arguments then about not having the money to pay or value etc - both of which are an issue with an annual wealth tax.

I know there is also LVT but I don’t know enough about it to comment.
  • Options

And even if what you say is true, the values of each of those would be subject to massive change if one or more of those is taxed.

Taxing land or houses works as the cannot be easily hidden. The valuation of them is the sort of problem that can bring down a government (the Poll Tax as it became known was an attempt to avoid having to revalue all of the UK housing for the purpose of rates), but taxing someone on the basis of how the stock market is doing would be a great way of destroying the ability of firms to use it to raise funds through it.

To be a PB pedant, the Scots had recently had a major revaluation (which was one reason the Poll Tax's initial imposition in Sxotland only was so badly received).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824

I think a wealth tax should be aimed at the 40-50% of assets owned by the top 1% or even the 5-15% owned by the top 0.01%, at those levels it should be clear that education, training and experience are not the main drivers.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    HYUFD said:

The Brexit referendum result suggests that it's more effective if you start rallying public support for your cause well before the referendum is officially declared (as UKIP did), rather than letting the other side get well ahead and only starting to tout the benefits of status quo once the starting gun is fired (as the pro-EU folks mostly did). "There isn't a referendum imminently so who cares what people think" seems a bit short-sighted...
  • Options
    Actually SLAB and SLD are holding their position on the vote, with only a slight (within error limts?) improvement if any. It's the Tories letting down the Unionist side. Unless you think that Mr Corbyn was enough of a bogeyman?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Sarwar. And get rid of Trident in favour of a quantum physics capability in Glasgow.
    Hmm. Would he win? He had problems in 2017 when he lost to Mr Leonard, and I'm not sure he has remedied them completely.

Trident is of course reserved to Westminster ...
    What SLAB need right now is someone who comes across as human and is likeable. What about Daniel Johnson (the Edinburgh Southern MSP)?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

MattW said:

Property (inc land) values are estimated and updated regularly by a independent body.

Try that here.
    Council tax is based on 1991 valuations.
    I wished I paid income tax based on my 1991 income.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    I see that we have reconfirmed that the LibDems USP should be as 'The Pot-Head Party'.

However, with local elections coming up next May, let's not forget that they are also 'The Dog Muck Party'.

Something not to be sniffed at.
  • Options

MattW said:

Try that here.
    The way to do these things is to giveth at the same time as takeaway.

Abolish stamp duty and council tax.

Replace with a *progressive* wealth tax that brings approximately the same.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Actually SLAB and SLD are holding their position on the vote, with only a slight (within error limts?) improvement if any. It's the Tories letting down the Unionist side. Unless you think that Mr Corbyn was enough of a bogeyman?
    I'm pretty sceptical the SCON vote is moving directly to the SNP. I think it's more a case of unionists leaving them for SLAB, but SLAB are shedding more pro-indy voters to the SNP. Hence why the SLAB vote share is roughly the same.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,291
    And wont he be pleased if Starmer doesn't form a government.

• Options

MattW said:

Try that here.
    It is fiscal policy’s answer to “rotten boroughs”.
    Indefensible, except that people say it might be unpopular.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Scott_xP said:
    Does Huawei's Head of International Media, and former Sky editor, have any views on the rule of law or democratic reform in China?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    Carnyx said:

To be a PB pedant, the Scots had recently had a major revaluation (which was one reason the Poll Tax's initial imposition in Sxotland only was so badly received).
    Wasn't the Scottish rates revaluation of 1986 the main reason the Conservatives did badly in 1987 ?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    Carnyx said:

Tres said:

Ding dong.

I think another weakness in BlackRook's analysis - and it is an interesting one, and I'm not doing it down as a whole, just adding to it - is that it does not take into account 2014-2015 when the Tory response to winning INdyref was to downgrade Scottish MPs at Westminster the vcery next morning, and to regard the existence of elected Scottish MPs in Westminster, taking part in coalition politics, as somehow inherently illegitimate (photoshopped photos of Mr Miliband in Mr Salmond's pocket). Those were certainly not acts of the Scottish C&UP, but the Scots Tories got some of the blame - and partly fairly in that they supported them.
    An then the Westminster Tories doubled down in 2017.
    Ruth Davidson got 12 Tory MPs elected in Scotland, only for their views to be totally ignored in favour of those of the DUP.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Does Huawei's Head of International Media, and former Sky editor, have any views on the rule of law or democratic reform in China?
    He believes you can have too much of a good thing, so best to be abstemious?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Tres said:

Ding dong.

Irrelevant. Different parts of the country have, at different times, suffered from the "Governments we didn't vote for" problem. Here in Eastern England (population: about the same as Scotland) we had the reverse problem: the thirteen years of Blair and Brown was a succession of "Governments we didn't vote for" but had to put up with anyway.

The point is that the useless Unionists failed to come up with a proper response to this problem. It would've been perfectly legitimate to argue that it is impossible for the whole country to have what it votes for at the same time, but that this alone is no good reason for smashing it to pieces (does the fact that the wishes of the Central Belt will always outweigh those of the Highlands necessitate the creation of a Caithness & Sutherland Independence Party, for example?) Thus, there was nothing wrong with the unitary state that existed prior to 1999, or at any rate nothing that couldn't have been solved with more powers for local city and county councils, rather than setting up devolved Parliaments.

Alternatively, they could've argued for a federal state, saying that there should be a greater say for Scotland in its own affairs but that this can only work if the same is done for all the nations of the UK, so that every MP and every voter continues to enjoy equal rights as under the unitary system.

They didn't do either. They insisted on a dog's breakfast.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

What about the flunkey of a middle manager? Asking for a friend.
    Does the flunkey do the middle manager's actual work ?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    New Labour, Same Old Bullshit...
This discussion has been closed.