Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » WH2020 looks set to be the biggest political betting event of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited July 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » WH2020 looks set to be the biggest political betting event of all time

With less than 4 months to go until the presidential election the signs are that this will be the biggest political betting event of all time. Probably because of the way that Trump is viewed with extremes on both sides this contest is getting more attention from punters than previous reces.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,375
    First like Liverpool.
  • Options
    So was it right to sack Starkey or does this come under "cancel culture"? Where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,349
    NHS England Hospital Data out -

Headline - 38
    7 days - 21 - quite a lot of back dating
    Yesterday - 6

As ever last 3-5 days subject to revision - last 5 days included for completeness

Last 10 days -

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Posted by @TimT on PT - "Trump really IS looking Toast" (my title):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/believe-the-polls-this-time/ar-BB16fqv1
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

So was it right to sack Starkey or does this come under "cancel culture"? Where do you draw the line?

You draw it on the side of Starkey getting the boot. This one is unambiguous: the point isn't to suppress unfashionable arguments but not to be rudely vile.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

As ever last 3-5 days subject to revision - last 5 days included for completeness

Last 10 days -

I have this constant image now of someone wandering around our hospitals and care homes with a clip board opening various broom cupboards and the like only to have yet another bundle of dead bodies that have been stored out of the way whilst people were busy fall on him. I find it genuinely bizarre that we are so poor at reporting death. Don't we care?
  • Options
    RobD said:

The damn was damning.
    And career ending.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385

I find it difficult to reconcile the term genocide with this. I thought Genocide was the distruction of a group or race of peoples.

I'm sure that the slave trade removed a few of the people from an area, not all of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

For me, it's a slam dunk case of let's have no more of him on TV pontificating about current affairs. And if this is what "cancel culture" means, it's something I'm on board with.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    RobD said:

The damn was damning.
    Amazing impact of that word. Transformed the issue beyond one which would provoke more defence.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

I have this constant image now of someone wandering around our hospitals and care homes with a clip board opening various broom cupboards and the like only to have yet another bundle of dead bodies that have been stored out of the way whilst people were busy fall on him. I find it genuinely bizarre that we are so poor at reporting death. Don't we care?
    Death certificates are not signed with a stamp. They are treated as serious documents by doctors - as they should be.

Autopsies are another issue. As if discovering deaths that didn't seem to be caused by COVID19 at the time.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Products from Japan or South Korea would be stamped “Made in Britain”, under Boris Johnson’s plan to save the domestic car industry after Brexit.

The proposal is an attempt to prevent punishing tariffs driving away the likes of Nissan and Toyota, but will sound “ridiculous” to voters promised huge benefits from leaving the EU, one trade expert said.

It also means the UK is effectively asking the EU for the benefits of a customs union, a new analysis says – despite the prime minister insisting the UK is leaving the trading arrangement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/car-industry-boris-johnson-made-in-britain-japan-south-korea-brexit-a9598466.html

"I don't believe in gestures..."

I suspect what's happening here is that NIssan and Toyota are currently importing a lot of parts from Japan that get included in cars assembled in the UK, then exported to the EU. Currently they will pay relatively smaller tariffs on the car parts but can export the car anywhere in the EU customs area without further tariffs. Once the UK leaves the EU Customs area in Jan 2021, that car will be subject to a 10% tariff on the whole value of the car, making manufacture in the UK unaffordable - if the content value is less than the threshold. Once the EU-Japan FTA fully kicks in, those companies can import cars (including the same Japanese origin parts) directly from Japan, without any tariffs at all.

I think it unlikely the EU (or indeed Japan) will allow cross-cumulation of content, without the UK offering a balancing concession of major value to the EU. This is where Japan, the EU and the UK, all having preferential trade with each other, agree to pool their content for any cross-border trade.

Big, big issue for those car companies keeping their manufacturing in the UK
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,870

Somewhat more straightforward than most other situations. What he said was clearly racist, at a time when racism is in the news and people are being careful with their words to avoid unnecessary offence.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,671
    edited July 2020
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

The damn was damning.
    And career ending.
    He wasn't sacked from Fitz College - just asked to resign his honorary fellowship. Not sure if he was paid for his Canterbury visiting professorship. But the publisher has certainly given hin the boot.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jul/03/david-starkey-dropped-publisher-racist-remarks-harpercollins
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

For me, it's a slam dunk case of let's have no more of him on TV commenting on current affairs.

If this is what "cancel culture" means, it's something I'm on board with.
    I don't disagree with removing Starkey though, he's an obnoxious character anyway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

The damn was damning.
    He was also employed on the basis of his public image, and for PR for the University. He has damaged both by his actions.

So binning him on those grounds would be fair.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2020
    Just setup my new picture.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,032
    Why won't ScotGov immediately agree to the list of non quarantined countries we've given them? We need certainty, NOW!

Why won't ScotGov immediately agree to the revised list of non quarantined countries we've given them? We gave them 30mins to check it.

Why won't ScotGov immediately agree to the revised, revised list of non quarantined countries we've given them? Confused messaging is damaging confidence.

etc.

https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/1279018758439346177?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited July 2020

Why won't ScotGov immediately agree to the list of non quarantined countries we've given them? We need certainty, NOW!

Why won't ScotGov immediately agree to the revised list of non quarantined countries we've given them? We gave them 30mins to check it.

Why won't ScotGov immediately agree to the revised, revised list of non quarantined countries we've given them? Confused messaging is damaging confidence.

etc.

Weren't you saying external borders were Patel's domain a few days ago? ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2020

etc.

That tweet is less than two hours ago ... (making your point, of course.)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

As I said on the PT the additional weighting for non college whites may well be overdone. Hilary riled that group up with her arrogant condescension better than the average remainer. Joe, with his close links to Unions, will feel like one of them. Even if they are not a fan they are not going to be incentivised to vote against him or for Trump. Joe will get more of their votes (especially women) and fewer of them will vote at all.

For me Trump could only repeat his 2016 success by delivering bigly on the economy. In fairness, pre Covid, he had quite a lot to say in that connection but he now looks sunk. Almost certainly he is going to be going into this election with the highest unemployment since Hoover, determined to attack the healthcare of those who have lost their jobs in the middle of a pandemic. I am really struggling to see what could save him now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,518

DavidL said:

Death certificates are not signed with a stamp. They are treated as serious documents by doctors - as they should be.

Autopsies are another issue. As if discovering deaths that didn't seem to be caused by COVID19 at the time.
    One of the few detailed Covid autopsy reports online:

Early postmortem mapping of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in patients with COVID-19 and correlation to tissue damage
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.01.182550v1
    ...We present a detailed RNA mapping in 61 tissues and organs of 11 deceased patients with COVID-19. The autopsies were performed within the (very) early postmortem interval to avoid bias due to RNA and tissue degradation. Very high viral loads were detected in the lungs of most patients and then correlated to severe tissue damage. In addition, intact viral particles could be verified in the lung tissue by transmission electron microscopy. However, viral RNA was detected throughout further extra-pulmonary tissues and organs without visible tissue damage, inflammatory and prothrombotic factors were elevated in all patients. In conclusion, the dissemination of SARS-CoV-2 RNA throughout the body supports the hypothesis of a maladaptive host response with viremia and multi-organ dysfunction....

The endocrine system displayed particularly high levels of virus in some individuals.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    kinabalu said:

For me, it's a slam dunk case of let's have no more of him on TV pontificating about current affairs. And if this is what "cancel culture" means, it's something I'm on board with.
    What if he wrote the seminal work on Henry VII. Would you read it?
  • Options

Incorrect Correct Horse Battery...Hmm. Are you becoming confused as well as a tad obscure? :smile:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

That was always the slightly weird thing about Starkey, how in demand he was by QT and the like. I suppose the 'distinguished historian' fig leaf was handy though what they really wanted was the Faragist pus he enjoyed squirting over the airwaves.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    I see that all-causes mortality was below the 5-year average for the time of year in week ended 19/6 for the first time since March, despite the reduction in health service productivity. The first wave has definitely ended.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Incorrect Correct Horse Battery...Hmm. Are you becoming confused as well as a tad obscure? :smile:
    You don't get it.
  • Options

etc.

I bet the person who sent that was WHITE as well.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

etc.

That tirade was cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

The damn was damning.
    And career ending.
    He wasn't sacked from Fitz College - just asked to resign his honorary fellowship. Not sure if he was paid for his Canterbury visiting professorship. But the publisher has certainly given hin the boot.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jul/03/david-starkey-dropped-publisher-racist-remarks-harpercollins
    I really meant as a go-to TV pundit. I personally don't have a problem with him continuing to beaver away in academic obscurity.
  • Options
    Hang on, I thought the Labour story was that no tax rises were necessary since unlimited amounts of dosh could be borrowed/printed at the moment?
  • Options
    RobD said:

etc.

It is, hence the tension between HMG's confused & ever changing arse up of how they want to control the UK borders and ScotGov's Covid policy.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,299

kinabalu said:

For me, it's a slam dunk case of let's have no more of him on TV commenting on current affairs.

I don't disagree with removing Starkey though, he's an obnoxious character anyway.
    Starkey once popped into one of my local pubs one Sunday evening (he'd been giving a lecture nearby) - very polite and unassuming, nothing like the bumptious character of his TV appearances. It would be rather tragic if he got into all this trouble because he was playing up a performance act.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

etc.

That tirade was cringeworthy.
    It was frankly racist.
  • Options

RobD said:

etc.

It is, hence the tension between HMG's confused & ever changing arse up of how they want to control the UK borders and ScotGov's Covid policy.
    So they have to lump it regardless?
  • Options

DavidL said:

You don't get it.
    I'm a tad dim, especially by Friday afternoon. Please explain.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

Sorry to disappoint DavidL but the backdating is not deaths, it's caused by updated testing of people we already knew were dead - just not of COVID.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

Yes, but shouldn't doctors sign them when, you know, someone has died? And given that they are such serious documents is it too much to ask hospitals to keep a note of how many have been issued?
  • Options
  • Options

Your profile page is a sight to behold :D
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Starkey once popped into one of my local pubs one Sunday evening (he'd been giving a lecture nearby) - very polite and unassuming, nothing like the bumptious character of his TV appearances. It would be rather tragic if he got into all this trouble because he was playing up a performance act.
    I remember our History teacher trying to book him to speak to the sixth form as he was so popular and stimulated a lot of debate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

It's one of the interesting unresolved questions of devolution, does (devolved) public health policy trump (non devolved) border control policy, or vice versa?
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You don't get it.
    Google correct horse battery staple
  • Options

DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

Sorry to disappoint DavidL but the backdating is not deaths, it's caused by updated testing of people we already knew were dead - just not of COVID.
    Ah, that makes a bit more sense, even if it is not such a vivid image. Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

Yes, but shouldn't doctors sign them when, you know, someone has died? And given that they are such serious documents is it too much to ask hospitals to keep a note of how many have been issued?
    They don't.

And at least in Scotland it's the registrar who issues and signs them.

In a recent death in my family (the person was found dead overnight) it was the ambulance folk who confirmed death (pretty obvious) - no autopsy though in contrast to the previous occasion 10 years ago. I reported it so i f anyone signed anything it was me, metaphorically speaking. The registrar did check in person over the phone with the person's doctor for a likely cause.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

Products from Japan or South Korea would be stamped “Made in Britain”, under Boris Johnson’s plan to save the domestic car industry after Brexit.

The proposal is an attempt to prevent punishing tariffs driving away the likes of Nissan and Toyota, but will sound “ridiculous” to voters promised huge benefits from leaving the EU, one trade expert said.

It also means the UK is effectively asking the EU for the benefits of a customs union, a new analysis says – despite the prime minister insisting the UK is leaving the trading arrangement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/car-industry-boris-johnson-made-in-britain-japan-south-korea-brexit-a9598466.html

I suspect what's happening here is that NIssan and Toyota are currently importing a lot of parts from Japan that get included in cars assembled in the UK, then exported to the EU. Currently they will pay relatively smaller tariffs on the car parts but can export the car anywhere in the EU customs area without further tariffs. Once the UK leaves the EU Customs area in Jan 2021, that car will be subject to a 10% tariff on the whole value of the car, making manufacture in the UK unaffordable - if the content value is less than the threshold. Once the EU-Japan FTA fully kicks in, those companies can import cars (including the same Japanese origin parts) directly from Japan, without any tariffs at all.

I think it unlikely the EU (or indeed Japan) will allow cross-cumulation of content, without the UK offering a balancing concession of major value to the EU. This is where Japan, the EU and the UK, all having preferential trade with each other, agree to pool their content for any cross-border trade.

The EU are furious with the Japanese car companies, who took very little time after the EU/JP trade deal was signed to announce the closure of every single car plant in mainland Europe - but not in the UK, especially the huge Nissan Sunderland plant. The EU want to make sure Nissan has to ship the cars all the way from Japan, rather than from Sunderland, by insisting that the Sunderland cars are treated as neither Japanese nor British.

This is pretty standard trade deal negotiation stuff, and perfectly valid argument - as opposed to arguing over fish, or forcing future EU legislation on the UK.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

It's one of the interesting unresolved questions of devolution, does (devolved) public health policy trump (non devolved) border control policy, or vice versa?
    Of course with the Holyrood voting system it was always envisaged that Labour would be either on top in both countries (so deferring to London for the final decision) or in charge in Scotland (in which case who cared what the Tories in London thought?). Yet another consequence of the Blairite devolution settlement leaving the English question unresolved.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited July 2020

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You don't get it.
    Google correct horse battery staple
    Put in xkcd first...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

Of course with the Holyrood voting system it was always envisaged that Labour would be either on top in both countries (so deferring to London for the final decision) or in charge in Scotland (in which case who cared what the Tories in London thought?). Yet another consequence of the Blairite devolution settlement leaving the English question unresolved.
    Well it was supposed to kill nationalism stone dead. How'd that work out? ;)
  • Options
    INCORRECT

HORSE

BATTERY
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    On topic:

The Economist is publishing what looks like a very good probabilistic model of the US presidential election, similar in method to Nate Silver's. It's freely available here:

https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

The NYT and fivethirtyeight.com don't yet seem to publishing the results of their models, but presumably will do so fairly soon.

Any others that we should know about?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

What if he wrote the seminal work on Henry VII. Would you read it?
    1. I'd be extremely surprised.
    2. I'd wait for @ydoethur to review it.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

By its very nature, these lists of countries are going to be constantly changing, in reaction to other governments’ changing data and regulations.

The real problems will come when there’s a massive spike in cases in, say, Majorca, and the gov is forced to either cancel all fights back or quarantine everyone who does - in the same way as they quarantined the Wuhan arrivals back in January.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Merely politicalbettingly incorrect ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

They don't.

In a recent death in my family (the person was found dead overnight) it was the ambulance folk who confirmed death (pretty obvious) - no autopsy though in contrast to the previous occasion 10 years ago. I reported it so i f anyone signed anything it was me, metaphorically speaking. The registrar did check in person over the phone with the person's doctor for a likely cause.
    When my mum died it was the registrar who issued the form but I remember I had to get some sort of certificate from the GP first, possibly confirming cause of death. But I am pretty sure that the hospice knew she was dead before I got the form.

But I am happy to accept @TheWhiteRabbit's explanation. It is dull enough to be true.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

kinabalu said:

Exactly l, apart from the ill advised word 'damn' he did not say anything racist as such and remains one of the best Tudor historians of his age
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

apart from the ill advised word 'damn' he did not say anything racist

So... he said something racist?
  • Options
    Yes, a Starmer led Government will see the biggest hammering of the rich since Callaghan and Healey were in power
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited July 2020
    Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

Scott_xP said:

The EU are furious with the Japanese car companies, who took very little time after the EU/JP trade deal was signed to announce the closure of every single car plant in mainland Europe - but not in the UK, especially the huge Nissan Sunderland plant. The EU want to make sure Nissan has to ship the cars all the way from Japan, rather than from Sunderland, by insisting that the Sunderland cars are treated as neither Japanese nor British.

This is pretty standard trade deal negotiation stuff, and perfectly valid argument - as opposed to arguing over fish, or forcing future EU legislation on the UK.
    The EU doesn't care whether it imports cars from the UK rather than Japan. Same as the UK doesn't care whether it imports cars from Japan or the EU. Everyone looks out for their interest.

The specific worry for the UK is whether it is is left with ANY significant car manufacturing post-Brexit/Covid. Japan and the EU certainly will have large scale manufacturing, albeit reduced.

In the case of Nissan and Toyota, if the analysis above is correct, the UK needs the EU and Japan to agree to cross-cumulation of content for those companies to keep manufacturing in the UK. FTAs typically don't include cross-cumulation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, a Starmer led Government will see the biggest hammering of the rich since Callaghan and Healey were in power
    Possibly since George Osborne's budgets, even.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

As for BoJo's nomenclature? Nor really fussed tbh.

I think OnlyLivingBoy goes too far, but I do agree that that "Boris" is problematic, even if only mildly. From an electoral advantage point of view, I mean. Fair playing field and all that. So it`s Johnson and Starmer for me. Always has been.
    I don't see why using a forename is problematic at all.

"Call me Tony" started this before Boris was an MP and when I was a child. Then we had "Dave" decades later.

I couldn't give less of a s**t if people say Boris or Johnson and the more people whinge about it the more tempted I am to just write Boris.
    You are a big big supporter of his. So "Boris" makes sense for you. You want to push his brand. You want him to prosper.

Any "Johnson" from you - which we do sometimes get - is a bonus and much appreciated.
    But I don't call him Boris to be partisan, I do it because its his name.

Just like Tony or Gordon before him.
    If you had called Blair "Charles" or "Anthony" - also one of his names - then that would have been weird.

Johnson reportedly goes by the name Al in his private life, so using that makes some sense. Although "Boris" is one of his names he uses it as a brand identity. Perhaps Blair was the same and doesn't use "Tony" in his private life.

I think the aspect of it being a public persona, rather than a more natural intimacy, is worthy of comment (but not whinging, oh no, never that).
    That's ridiculous. I couldn't care what name he uses privately, he's not Al to me. Boris is his name, just like Tony Blair's public name was Tony even if it wasn't his first name. Gordon Brown's public name was Gordon even if it wasn't his first name.

I don't think public personas for public people is worthy of comment, public people should be entitled to private lives just like everyone else.

Superman gets in the news for his actions under that name, even if his friends in private life call him Clark in his private life, or his parents called him Kal-El.
    That's an interesting (!) persona that pops into your mind when you think of Boris Johnson. Superman.

What's going on there?
    I had a feeling you'd respond to that. :grin:

I didn't compare Boris to Clark Kent - and if I really wanted to compliment him I'd compare him to Bruce Wayne instead. But I don't, not like that.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

By its very nature, these lists of countries are going to be constantly changing, in reaction to other governments’ changing data and regulations.

The real problems will come when there’s a massive spike in cases in, say, Majorca, and the gov is forced to either cancel all fights back or quarantine everyone who does - in the same way as they quarantined the Wuhan arrivals back in January.
    Two outbreaks I’m Majorca one in Palma both quite small
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Osborne cut the top rate of income tax from 50% to 45% and raised the inheritance tax threshold, both measures boosting the wealthy
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Always knew he was a pinko.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    "the seminal work on Henry VII"

Indeed, King Hal's semen played a MAJOR role in English & world history.

Heed not the alien preacher
    His creed without reason or faith
    For the foundation stones of his temple
    Are the bollocks of Henry the Eighth
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,556
    HYUFD said:
    46% was Trump's popular vote share in 2016.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Osborne cut the top rate of income tax from 50% to 45% and raised the inheritance tax threshold, both measures boosting the wealthy
    Boosting the tax receipts from the wealthy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Headline - 38
    Yesterday - 6

Last 10 days -

They don't.

When my mum died it was the registrar who issued the form but I remember I had to get some sort of certificate from the GP first, possibly confirming cause of death. But I am pretty sure that the hospice knew she was dead before I got the form.

But I am happy to accept @TheWhiteRabbit's explanation. It is dull enough to be true.
    More generally - and this is talking of the last decade, not including covid - I believe that in Scotland atd least there has been a reduction in the proportion of formally unexplained deaths sent to autopsy - maybe in the UK as a whole but I cannot quite remember the details. So in my seciond case I was not too surprised when there was no autopsy. I wasn't worried about the death per se - there had been an incident shortly before and known illness. And it was nice not to have the additional hassle at such a time. But I have a sneaking regret that this basic health monitoring measure has been deployed less of late.

On the other hand, the fairly close tracking of excess deaths by the reported covid deaths by NRS (weekly data) suggests that it hasn't made for underreporting of covid deaths in Scotland, in apparent contrast to England.
  • Options
    There was a comment on the previous thread asking why state schools were not providing online teaching. I couldn’t reply at the time as I was providing some online teaching.
    Different schools will have done different amounts, but the school I teach at has been running lessons as normal, just online. Some (though by no means all) have been live teaching, I have been pre-recording videos with a mixture of notes and example questions. We have been using Microsoft Teams to allow pupils to submit work and sending them feedback on it via the same route.

Most pupils have engaged well, but it does rely on a decent internet connection to work, which has been a problem for some.

The hardest thing for me as a teacher of Physics is that it is very difficult to do practical work. I have also had to resist the temptation to just find a YouTube video that does roughly what I want, (although I have done for a couple of things where they just had a bigger budget: it is difficult to do justice to the life cycle of a star with the digital equivalent of a white board).

The point I am trying to make is that it is not just the independent sector which has been providing significant support for its pupils over the last few months.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

Very well from my pov.
  • Options

Wrong king: VII = 7
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

Very well from my pov.
    The UK still together over 2 decades later
  • Options
    WH2020 will not only be mega-betting event. Is also shaping up to be the most expensive political campaign in US history.

Trump 2020 is like France 1940. Both wanting to repeat their 11th-hour victories in previous conflict. BUT history does NOT repeat itself, at least not that way.

In 2016, Trumpsky was convinced he was going to lose. He was wrong.

In 2020, he thinks he can win by re-running his previous campaign. Wrong again.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Boosting the tax receipts from the wealthy.
    Maybe but Starmer would reverse both
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

Very well from my pov.
    And nationalism of various hues is rampant across the UK. The British variety is looking a wee bit peely wally in Scotland mind.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

As I said on the PT the additional weighting for non college whites may well be overdone. Hilary riled that group up with her arrogant condescension better than the average remainer. Joe, with his close links to Unions, will feel like one of them. Even if they are not a fan they are not going to be incentivised to vote against him or for Trump. Joe will get more of their votes (especially women) and fewer of them will vote at all.

For me Trump could only repeat his 2016 success by delivering bigly on the economy. In fairness, pre Covid, he had quite a lot to say in that connection but he now looks sunk. Almost certainly he is going to be going into this election with the highest unemployment since Hoover, determined to attack the healthcare of those who have lost their jobs in the middle of a pandemic. I am really struggling to see what could save him now.
    He needs a black swan - which by definition is difficult to conceive.

But -

https://youtu.be/TmENMZFUU_0
  • Options

WH2020 will not only be mega-betting event. Is also shaping up to be the most expensive political campaign in US history.

Trump 2020 is like France 1940. Both wanting to repeat their 11th-hour victories in previous conflict. BUT history does NOT repeat itself, at least not that way.

As Andy JS points out his approval rating today is back to his 2016 voteshare

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1278895037804314624?s=20
  • Options

Still, those of his family who don't go to jail will probably clear several millions from the campaign.
  • Options

Wrong king: VII = 7
    Damn! (excuse me, Darn!) Those Roman numerals ALWAYS mess me up. As does having whiskey for breakfast.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

etc.

Very well from my pov.
    And nationalism of various hues is rampant across the UK. The British variety is looking a wee bit peely wally in Scotland mind.
    The only nationalism which has actually won is Brexit nationalism in 2016 and 2019, Scottish nationalism was defeated in 2014, Welsh nationalism is still nowhere and the DUP are still the largest party in Northern Ireland
  • Options

There was a comment on the previous thread asking why state schools were not providing online teaching. I couldn’t reply at the time as I was providing some online teaching.
    Different schools will have done different amounts, but the school I teach at has been running lessons as normal, just online. Some (though by no means all) have been live teaching, I have been pre-recording videos with a mixture of notes and example questions. We have been using Microsoft Teams to allow pupils to submit work and sending them feedback on it via the same route.

Most pupils have engaged well, but it does rely on a decent internet connection to work, which has been a problem for some.

The hardest thing for me as a teacher of Physics is that it is very difficult to do practical work. I have also had to resist the temptation to just find a YouTube video that does roughly what I want, (although I have done for a couple of things where they just had a bigger budget: it is difficult to do justice to the life cycle of a star with the digital equivalent of a white board).

The point I am trying to make is that it is not just the independent sector which has been providing significant support for its pupils over the last few months.

That’s one of the all time best 2nd sentences.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I assume this has been discussed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53276717

Not often I get to agree with Michael Vaughan, but I agree this is the biggest load of codswallop I’ve ever heard. The Govt seems to be going out of its way, for god knows what reasons, to find excuses to prevent some activity from restarting whilst allowing others of incredibly greater scales of risk.

Beyond possibly the prevention of large scale gatherings (although even that’s undermined by the allowing of all the mass protests of recent weeks) the basic presumption should be that all activity should be allowed to resume as long as reasonable mitigation measures are taken to remove potential (and avoidable) areas of risk.

Just because “leisure activities” such as cricket aren’t as obviously necessary for the successful functioning of the country and economy, doesn’t mean they should just be dismissed in attempts to restart.
  • Options

Good to hear, it must be temping to have given the kids a diet of Mythbusters.

The earlier discussion was more about the technology, and how how many state school pupils don’t have enough computing devices at home to allow them to participate in the online lessons - whereas private schools had managed iPads or laptops for each pupil.
  • Options

The response from some state and private schools was to just shut up shop.

The response from some state and private schools was to innovate like crazy to try and provide some education.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

He needs a black swan - which by definition is difficult to conceive.

But -

https://youtu.be/TmENMZFUU_0
    The question isn't whether Trump will find a way to beat Biden, it's whether Biden will find a way to lose to Trump.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So do YOU think Trumpsky can win by simply repeating his 2016 campaign? Strange, but most Republican strategists do NOT appear to share that view.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So do YOU think Trumpsky can win by simply repeating his 2016 campaign? Strange, but most Republican strategists do NOT appear to share that view.
    9% of voters are still undecided with Yougov USA, if Trump wins most of those he wins the election
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Still, those of his family who don't go to jail will probably clear several millions from the campaign.
    Yeah, but the post-election legal bills are gonna gobble up most if not all of their filthy lucre.

Especially as Ivanka won't be able to sell her sweat-shop fashions quite like old times.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Not often I get to agree with Michael Vaughan, but I agree this is the biggest load of codswallop I’ve ever heard. The Govt seems to be going out of its way, for god knows what reasons, to find excuses to prevent some activity from restarting whilst allowing others of incredibly greater scales of risk.

Beyond possibly the prevention of large scale gatherings (although even that’s undermined by the allowing of all the mass protests of recent weeks) the basic presumption should be that all activity should be allowed to resume as long as reasonable mitigation measures are taken to remove potential (and avoidable) areas of risk.

Just because “leisure activities” such as cricket aren’t as obviously necessary for the successful functioning of the country and economy, doesn’t mean they should just be dismissed in attempts to restart.

Bowqlers and batspersons running fast and then panting away next to the umpire and wicketkeeper (the latter, I know, the other end from the bowler!).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

9% of voters are still undecided with Yougov USA, if Trump wins most of those he wins the election
    Pretty big IF. Plus methinks Trumpsky has yet to hit bottom polling-wise.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

Bowqlers and batspersons running fast and then panting away next to the umpire and wicketkeeper (the latter, I know, the other end from the bowler!).
    Yeah, I can't imagine this being a vindictive decision against cricket, rather it is based on advice from the boffins about which sports are riskier than others.
  • Options
    F1 betting. My tip on Bottas to win at 8 the other day, is now into 6.2 but is still IMO value at that price.

The two Mercedes cars have been in a class of their own, as we thought might be the case. Force Point Canada, or whatever they’re called this week, are also looking good in their 2019 Mercedes copy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

Yeah, I can't imagine this being a vindictive decision against cricket, rather it is based on advice from the boffins about which sports are riskier than others.
    But evidently a failure of explanation/presentation maybe.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    What is their legal basis for enforcing that?
This discussion has been closed.