Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer is the most popular leader of the opposition since Bla

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

Why does the ability to differentiate between a user's pocket and a user's hand matter exactly?

I think the distance is more the issue there.
    What is important about the two distances mentioned, what impact does it have?

They state that the Apple app (more accurately it's an API Apple provide, NHSx build the app that works on top of it) can't differentiate between two distances but then don't explain why that is itself a problem.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited June 2020

RobD said:

Why does the ability to differentiate between a user's pocket and a user's hand matter exactly?

They state that the Apple app (more accurately it's an API Apple provide, NHSx build the app that works on top of it) can't differentiate between two distances but then don't explain why that is itself a problem.
    You don't care if someone was at a distance of 3m of someone in the context of contact tracing.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,888

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

I must confess I always read this poster's name as Connect Horse Battery.

It's a reference that only two people have got, from recollection.
    xkcd password generator.
    I wish you hadn't said it, now everyone will know.

Are you person number three, or did you come under my previous list?
    I wondered what had happened to the staple, but assumed everyone already knew the reference.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

You don't care if someone was at a distance of 3m of someone in the context of contact tracing.
    Okay that makes sense but the worst result of that is too many people are informed right, as opposed to too few. That seems like a pretty minor issue, compared to the Government app which wouldn't inform over 90% of Apple users.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Okay that makes sense but the worst result of that is too many people are informed right, as opposed to too few. That seems like a pretty minor issue, compared to the Government app which wouldn't inform over 90% of Apple users.
    True, I don't know how much of an effect extending the radius to 3m would have on the number of contacts. How many people come within 3m of you compared to 1m every day?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

I must confess I always read this poster's name as Connect Horse Battery.

It's a reference that only two people have got, from recollection.
    xkcd password generator.
    I wish you hadn't said it, now everyone will know.

Are you person number three, or did you come under my previous list?
    I wondered what had happened to the staple, but assumed everyone already knew the reference.
    I believe, I ran out of space
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

In the latest opinion polls the Tory share is down about 2 points on the general election.

I wonder if GE2024 will be a reduction in voteshare for the Tories for the first time since what, 2001?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

True, I don't know how much of an effect extending the radius to 3m would have on the number of contacts. How many people come within 3m of you compared to 1m every day?
    They’re basically suggesting that Apple rewrite their API:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/19/apple-and-google-not-told-of-uk-plans-to-use-their-tech-with-nhs-app

I think that highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/19/apple-and-google-not-told-of-uk-plans-to-use-their-tech-with-nhs-app

Meh, sharing the make and the model of the phone doesn't seem like a ludicrous thing to include.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Final musing of the evening, if Harding was just brought in to run a call centre she's still a bad choice. TalkTalk had famously poor customer service (even by telecoms standards) when she was there. The whole business model was "yes we're shit, but you're a stingy bastard and we're the cheapest broadband so we know you'll live with it". It's the only reason they survived the hack, their customer base is so incredibly price sensitive that they stuck around for the cheap broadband.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tres said:

I get I'm not popular on this site and I'm hated by a great number but hearing the same implied attacks on me is wearing a little bin thin.

Basically my opinion is worthless because I'm a leftie but the PB Tories or right wingers on hear are always right. I enjoy it, much rather argue with people I disagree with, I just hate this idea there is anyone on this site who has the wisdom on truth, or who is somehow impartial.

Of course, perhaps I should know better on a pro-Tory site, perhaps the most pro-Tory blog I know of, to be honest.

I think you are great CHB. Keep up the good work!
    It's interesting that the leftwing posters think it's a Tory site and the rightwing posters think it's a Marxist hellhole (although most of the Marxists seem to work for Boris Johnson these days, go figure). Maybe like the BBC that means it's doing something right.
    One thing I have noticed is that rightwing posters seem to go in for pile-ons a bit more often, whereas the lefties seem to be a bit more solo operators. Which is kind of the opposite of what one might have expected given their respective attitudes towards the collective vs the individual.
    Anyway, I think the main thing is to be kind to each other. There's too much hate in the world already.
    Good post, much to think about with regards to where the site actually sits as opposed to the perceptions I have of it.

I do like that the owner chimes in occasionally, far too many sites have their owners hiding away somewhere.
    It is not always a good idea to have the man with the Ban Hammer weighing in :open_mouth:

The place is rombustuous but we all seem to rub along rather then rub each other up. If you think you are having a hard time, dig into the archives and read some of the stuff Roger or Tim caused arguments about.
    Whom are these people?

I do like the history of this site and hearing about it but I feel sometimes as though I'll never know or understand it all.
    Roger is a PB hero and Tim was an artist formerly known in another parish as GOsbornGenius!
    Tim was a complete a*se who makes Eadric look polite IMNSHO. I always suspected he had acne and posted from the small bedroom in his mum's house in L15

Roger is (was??) an advertising type who was so left-wing he made Marx look like a fascist.
    Roger I remember with fondness at being proudly left wing but also openly admitted he was a snob who looked down at working class people. A unique character therefore . Many left wingers do look down at working class people of course but they pretend they don't -Roger just admitted it. Tim was tenacious and had a wit equal to eadric ie Both clever and similar in character if not politics
    My personal Wogerism was this -

"If you had worked for as many years in Europe with Europeans with all their quirks you too might feel as I do. That we are seprating ourselves from the most culturally exciting varied and beautiful continent in the world for no reason other than some very small minded people don't like foreigners makes me want to vomit.

If you'll forgive the name-drop i remember sitting down to lunch in an outdoor restaurant near Cannes when Boris Becker said 'If you could replace all the French with English this would be the nicest country in the world'."
    I always felt Roger was such a caricature of a luvvie. Was he actually real.
    I met him once. He was rather nice
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,888
    edited June 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Too many soon becomes highly disruptive in some situations, particularly if lockdown is eased a little more. At which point, everyone turns off the app because they don't want to be sat at home for 14 days because of a very low risk encounter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    Tres said:

I get I'm not popular on this site and I'm hated by a great number but hearing the same implied attacks on me is wearing a little bin thin.

Basically my opinion is worthless because I'm a leftie but the PB Tories or right wingers on hear are always right. I enjoy it, much rather argue with people I disagree with, I just hate this idea there is anyone on this site who has the wisdom on truth, or who is somehow impartial.

Of course, perhaps I should know better on a pro-Tory site, perhaps the most pro-Tory blog I know of, to be honest.

It's interesting that the leftwing posters think it's a Tory site and the rightwing posters think it's a Marxist hellhole (although most of the Marxists seem to work for Boris Johnson these days, go figure). Maybe like the BBC that means it's doing something right.
    One thing I have noticed is that rightwing posters seem to go in for pile-ons a bit more often, whereas the lefties seem to be a bit more solo operators. Which is kind of the opposite of what one might have expected given their respective attitudes towards the collective vs the individual.
    Anyway, I think the main thing is to be kind to each other. There's too much hate in the world already.
    Good post, much to think about with regards to where the site actually sits as opposed to the perceptions I have of it.

I do like that the owner chimes in occasionally, far too many sites have their owners hiding away somewhere.
    It is not always a good idea to have the man with the Ban Hammer weighing in :open_mouth:

The place is rombustuous but we all seem to rub along rather then rub each other up. If you think you are having a hard time, dig into the archives and read some of the stuff Roger or Tim caused arguments about.
    Whom are these people?

I do like the history of this site and hearing about it but I feel sometimes as though I'll never know or understand it all.
    Roger is a PB hero and Tim was an artist formerly known in another parish as GOsbornGenius!
    Tim was a complete a*se who makes Eadric look polite IMNSHO. I always suspected he had acne and posted from the small bedroom in his mum's house in L15

Roger is (was??) an advertising type who was so left-wing he made Marx look like a fascist.
    Roger I remember with fondness at being proudly left wing but also openly admitted he was a snob who looked down at working class people. A unique character therefore . Many left wingers do look down at working class people of course but they pretend they don't -Roger just admitted it. Tim was tenacious and had a wit equal to eadric ie Both clever and similar in character if not politics

"If you had worked for as many years in Europe with Europeans with all their quirks you too might feel as I do. That we are seprating ourselves from the most culturally exciting varied and beautiful continent in the world for no reason other than some very small minded people don't like foreigners makes me want to vomit.

If you'll forgive the name-drop i remember sitting down to lunch in an outdoor restaurant near Cannes when Boris Becker said 'If you could replace all the French with English this would be the nicest country in the world'."
    Definitely. I met him at a PB drinks. Charming and witty. He used to play the snob a bit, but did it so well it was hard to tell whether he meant it or whether he was trolling. Legend.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Foxy said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

Definitely. I met him at a PB drinks. Charming and witty. He used to play the snob a bit, but did it so well it was hard to tell whether he meant it or whether he was trolling. Legend.
    I assume this wasn't in Hartlepool?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,228
    Foxy said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

ah the twinkle in the eye that does not always come across in just text. i can buy that
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    eadric said:
    eadric said:

The absolute loathsomeness and racism - ‘we got the Jews here too’ - of Black Lives Matter, in the UK. Right outside Buckingham Palace.

https://twitter.com/dawkinsreturns/status/1273989112773644288?s=21

Absolute cancer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

I assume this wasn't in Hartlepool?
    Nottingham, pre 2015 GE drinks.

Post Lockdown, another might be in order...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

The absolute loathsomeness and racism - ‘we got the Jews here too’ - of Black Lives Matter, in the UK. Right outside Buckingham Palace.

Absolute cancer.
    The centrists hate Boris and Brexit so much they've taken BLM's side, for now...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Meh, sharing the make and the model of the phone doesn't seem like a ludicrous thing to include.
    If including the just that data makes the it possible to get the distancing information to that level of accuracy, then a couple of thoughts occur:

- including the data shouldn't be a security risk
    - the ability to gauge distance might be commercially valuable.
  • Options

Nobody could have foreseen the NHS app being a disaster...except anyone who worked in software engineering and had any knowledge of iOS development.

So a lot of people then.

But don't worry, we've got "expert" Dido Harding on the case now. What are her credentials?

Her credentials are very good indeed. From the Repository of All Knowledge:

On graduation she joined the management consultancy McKinsey & Company. She went on to work at Kingfisher and Thomas Cook, and then held a variety of senior roles at Tesco. In 2007 she moved to Sainsbury's as convenience store director, and took a seat on the operating board in 2008.

She was named the first CEO of TalkTalk in 2010, when Carphone Warehouse split its telecoms business from its retail operation. She was appointed as a non-executive director on The Court of The Bank of England in July 2014. She has also served on the boards of British Land and Cheltenham Racecourse.

I see that some of the more excitable and partisan posters think she was responsible for the PHE app development That is of note for what it tells you about the more excitable and partisan posters, not for what it tells you about Dido Harding.
    Disappointing it doesn’t mention the Advisory Board for my foundation 😰
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

There's a rumour going round, could be nonsense of course, of a Prem footballer who refused to take a knee/wear the BLM slogan...

He tweeted how good it was to be back on Tuesday, but didn't get picked on the Wednesday

I'm hearing it's nonsense.
    We could find out tomorrow! The source I heard it from has been a source of nonsense in the past
    If I was in that position I might ask not to play. Either you take the knee or you trash your personal brand
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,112
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

There's a rumour going round, could be nonsense of course, of a Prem footballer who refused to take a knee/wear the BLM slogan...

He tweeted how good it was to be back on Tuesday, but didn't get picked on the Wednesday

We could find out tomorrow! The source I heard it from has been a source of nonsense in the past
    If I was in that position I might ask not to play. Either you take the knee or you trash your personal brand
    Things move so fast, 3 years ago we were told taking a knee meant you were trashing your personal brand.
  • Options

Charles said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Things move so fast, 3 years ago we were told taking a knee meant you were trashing your personal .brand.
    I actually think it’s the wrong thing to do. But you know the twitter troublemakers would send lots of photos of the one person in the team standing up and attack them as racist. And then the advertising and sponsorship would dry up
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    dixiedean said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

His Oscars tips were on point. He must have been in the business.
    Or preternaturally prescient.
    He talked often of making high end TV and film ads too. And of meeting actors and actresses in person on the job, so I guess he was in the business.
  • Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

He talked often of making high end TV and film ads too. And of meeting actors and actresses in person on the job, so I guess he was in the business.
    I think he directed TV adverts
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

Tim was always good on music and books, not so much on wine, although he fancied himself as an oenophile.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    The centrists hate Boris and Brexit so much they've taken BLM's side, for now...
    The rightists love Boris and Brexit so much they've taken FLA's side, for now...
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    The rightists love Boris and Brexit so much they've taken FLA's side, for now...
    Truly vile.

The problem is that the 'right' don't seem to have the guts or intellectual ballast to fight this culture war. They are appeasing which will not work.

Cressida Dick should have been sacked two weeks ago. That copper in Bristol should have been sacked. Any police officer taking a knee in uniform should have been sacked.

A line must be drawn. But I doubt it will be.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

The problem is that the 'right' don't seem to have the guts or intellectual ballast to fight this culture war. They are appeasing which will not work.

Cressida Dick should have been sacked two weeks ago. That copper in Bristol should have been sacked. Any police officer taking a knee in uniform should have been sacked.

Fear not, a police force has drawn a line against these violent, politicised social disruptors.

https://twitter.com/policescotland/status/1273644704870158337?s=20
  • Options
    houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

There is no culture war. Listen to Chuck D. Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

If there is a Culture War, I will be needing some chairs. Can someone recommend a chap for custom work?
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Tres said:

Whom are these people?

Tim was always good on music and books, not so much on wine, although he fancied himself as an oenophile.
    Farmer Tupac
  • Options

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

If there is a Culture War, I will be needing some chairs. Can someone recommend a chap for custom work?
    Can you provide your own materials?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

Are there any special circumstances applicable to your question?
  • Options

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

One possibility to consider - Phlebas.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

Can you provide your own materials?
    A true craftsman can turn anything* into the tools of his trade.

*Did the Chair Maker manipulate the Culture? Did he use the whole Culture as a weapon - against himself? I asked Banks once....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

Are there any special circumstances applicable to your question?
    Now Look What You've Made Me Do
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

No More Mr Nice Guy
  • Options
    edited June 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Tres said:

houndtang said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    eadric said:

Absolute cancer.
    Truly vile.

No More Mr Nice Guy
    My advice would be to speak quietly and carry a large stick

Actually the names and conversations of the AIs are not, in my view, the strongest aspect of the series.

Edit. Pleased that tag worked. Must now try to sleep.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    MaxPB said:

Most competent organisations don't get hacked by teenagers. The reason they got hacked was because of poor security arrangements, which ultimately she oversaw as head of the company. I therefore question her technical credentials.

Why didn't you answer my other points?

Actually many competent organisations do get hacked by teenagers.

I didn't answer your other points because they were silly. The question being asked was what are her credentials. The answer is, as I said, that they are very good. She has extremely good and relevant experience, including managing change in large organisations, and (very unusually for someone with her breadth of private-sector experience) high-level NHS experience, since 2017.

Her technical credentials are irrelevant. She's not being asked to write software.
    I've worked in tech and trust me you want the person in charge to know the tech. It's why software engineers who go into management are so highly sought after. If the company is being run by a clueless old duffer like Harding then there's huge scope for failure, which is where our app is at the moment.

Again, you're acting like she's had this huge successful launch and her critics are just picking at loose threads. It's not the case, the whole project is a disaster. Lots and lots of people who work in tech predicted it would be and exactly why it works be, those situations and reasons came to pass. Her leadership has cost the nation untold billions in additional lockdown measures needing to be extended where they could otherwise be relaxed.

When it comes to managing the building of an app someone like Harding doesn't even make the first 500 names on a list, maybe even 5000. We have one of the best tech sectors in the world, the government just needed to ask for help and the industry would have delivered.
    I agree. According to Guido, Matthew Gould is responsible for the fiasco, falling precisely into the category you describe, his qualification for the job apparently being an arts degree from Oxford and friend of Osborne.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

RobD said:

The APIs the German app are using are publicly available, as Google and Apple provided them ages ago.

Instead we've been mucking around with our own implementation for no good reason other than some stupid attempt at glory.

Engineers are a lazy bunch, if something is there and it works, its provided by the people that make the OS you're in a good place to use it. It's what I do.

As they say, don't reinvent the wheel.

The reports suggest they were actually testing both approaches at the same time. The home-grown one was good at differentiating between different distances, but didn't work as well with iPhones. The apple version vice versa.
    I thought the Government insisted they were only working on one? This two app approach seems to have appeared since the original was deemed to be a complete failure.

My point is that anyone could see the app would be a failure when it was announced. I said as much at the time.
    TBF I don’t recall anyone saying “it won’t work on/with iPhones”, which was its most fundamental failing?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

The APIs the German app are using are publicly available, as Google and Apple provided them ages ago.

Instead we've been mucking around with our own implementation for no good reason other than some stupid attempt at glory.

Engineers are a lazy bunch, if something is there and it works, its provided by the people that make the OS you're in a good place to use it. It's what I do.

As they say, don't reinvent the wheel.

The reports suggest they were actually testing both approaches at the same time. The home-grown one was good at differentiating between different distances, but didn't work as well with iPhones. The apple version vice versa.
    I thought the Government insisted they were only working on one? This two app approach seems to have appeared since the original was deemed to be a complete failure.

My point is that anyone could see the app would be a failure when it was announced. I said as much at the time.
    TBF I don’t recall anyone saying “it won’t work on/with iPhones”, which was its most fundamental failing?
    May 6 TSE quoted from FT

'This bit made me think our app will be as useful as a condom with holes in both ends.

"One person familiar with the NHS testing process said that its app was able to work in the background in most cases, except when two iPhones were locked and left unused for around 30 minutes, without any Android devices coming within 60m of the devices. Bringing an Android device running the NHS app close to the iPhone would “wake up” its Bluetooth connection, this person said.

Switching to Google and Apple’s contact technology would avoid such issues but likely mean the UK had to abandon its centralised database, which representatives of the two tech companies have indicated is incompatible with their “decentralised” approach."'
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    OK, this is bananas. Trump keeps trying to imitate Nixon. The difference is that Nixon was a lawyer...

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1274178463881146370?s=19
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Scott_xP said:
    So the situation seems to be that Trump did an end-run around the normal appointment procedure to avoid Senate confirmation when he appointed Berman, but that's left him unable to fire him...
  • Options
    Awb682Awb682 Posts: 22
    Anyone seems competent after Corbyn.
This discussion has been closed.