Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trumpity Trump: Why Betting on Biden is the right strategy

Comments

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

A good, thoughtful article on the Covid resurge in the USA.

Says there may well be a spike following THE WOKEGASM (I'm claiming that one); says it is a mystery why some states have surged and others not.

I wonder if this is a BAME thing, in part. The states seeing the worst resurge - Texas, Floria, Arizona, SoCal, all have very large Hispanic communities?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/rising-covid-19-cases-hospitalization-long-road/

More likely that they never had the thing under control in the first place IMO, although your theory is not without merit.
    Everyone is being a bit binary here. It is possible for several things to be true.

Probably states easing lockdown too early has caused the surge, which has ALSO been worsened by The Wokegasm, how can mass, crowded, shouty demos NOT cause infections? We know the main means of infection is via aerosols from people breathing heavily: singing, panting, jumping around.

Likewise, there may be a BAME element in the surge, but it's only a partial explanation.

Maybe relatedly, Iran is reporting its worst day for deaths since early April:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

Pakistan has just recorded its worth death-day yet

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/pakistan/
    Our Anglophone/Eurocentric media would have you believe that the pandemic is on the decline because cases and deaths are way down in Europe and white countries that speak English.

They've maybe just cottoned on to the problem in Brazil - though not the rest of Latin America - but don't mention (perhaps because they haven't even noticed) the surging cases and rising deaths in:
    - the Middle East
    - the ex-USSR (excluding Baltic states)
    - Africa
    Indeedydoody. The virus hasn't ebbed, it is just going to work on the poorer countries, now.

Also, Sweden.

It has just recorded 102 deaths - the worst total since mid-May

And more daily cases, today, than the UK: 1,239 over 1,115

And something bad seems to be happening in north Sweden:

https://twitter.com/venkat_gb/status/1273241091031130113?s=20
    Coronavirus still hasn't reached Malmo
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    Cyclefree said:

Painting a bloody plane! Is that it? Is that what Boris is about?

I’m hoping he’ll spend so much time in it and love it so much he’ll forget to come home.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'd love to see the cost breakdown for a respray costing almost a million quid.

I would happily do it for £100,000 with some rattle cans and masking tape from Halfords.
    How many of those cans do you think you'd need? ;)
    At about £7 a pop per can. I reckon I'd still get a nice holiday out of the balance
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I would happily do it for £100,000 with some rattle cans and masking tape from Halfords.
    At about £7 a pop per can. I reckon I'd still get a nice holiday out of the cheque
    But how many cans? A plane has quite a large surface area, and it has to last.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,406
    Today's episode of More or Less.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000kdr6
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,603
    Scott_xP said:

He will be the envy of the other 27 EU leaders when he rocks up to trade talks in AirBorisOne/ BorisForceOne.

The art of one-upmanship.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1273251354950144005

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1273253753811013632
    Is Boris now even losing Guido?
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably one for the plane, but 163 for Mr Johnson’s ego.
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The real question when it comes to American elections is "has Cromwell come back under and alt-account and what is his opinion?"

His betting judgement on Rubio was appalling but...

Cromwell said:

Any one who bets on Trump winning the nomination has a crude and simplistic grasp of American politics ; furthermore , they deserve to lose their money

Trump is a ''reality TV star '' who has descended into malignant narcissism and megalomania ..he's Dr Strangelove or a cartoonish James bond villain ; he's not a demagogue , but a comedic parody of a demagogue ...TRUMPOLINI I presume ?

There are simply not that many gormless voters in the GOP ; Trump is polling lower than Bernie Sanders but only looks like a winner because the opposition have not unified ...he probably will win New Hampshire but his victories can only last until the establishment unifies

Trump is a venal opportunist who loves running for president but would be horrified if the presidency were actually forced upon him

Trump's supporters are gormless beyond belief ; if he chewed the head off a puppy on live TV they would applaud him for making the world more safer for cats !

Weirdly predicted Biden's sweep to victory in the Dem race of 2020. Just 4 years too early with his logic.
    Apart from the bad prediction that sounds like one great poster.

Where are they? - Come back!
    He was very rude to people who did not share his galaxy brain take on Rubio. He was rude in a way to HYUFD that only I am allowed to be

Rubio will now unify the establishment lane and steamroll to victory ; he will win NH and Nevada too .....this has been on the cards for months and would have been clear to anyone able to read between the lines

RUBIO WILL BE THE NEXT US PRESIDENT .....frame this comment for posterity

Which you duly did, I see. What a miss. Charismatic writing sometimes co-incides with acute perception but just as often it doesn't.

So why did this poster leave? Was it under a big thick cloud?
    He made strong predictions about what would happen in NH, they didn't happen. He was never seen again.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

eadric said:

Useful info on infection

Suggests the Wokegasm demos WILL be a spreading event

https://twitter.com/Reddy/status/1272926330556952579?s=20

Stop trying to make wokegasm a thing.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wokegasm

by Gatsusan April 14, 2018
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,545
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Useful info on infection

lol. I like it and shall continue to use it. There is no other catch-all word for the rash of demos, protests, riots, guilt trips, weird washing of feet, statue-topplings, and so on.

It is being done by Woke people, and it offers them the collective rush of an orgasm.

Wokegasm. If you can think of a better coinage, please let us have it.
    I think you must go on better demos than me, or perhaps have worse organisms.
    I think you are underestimating how effective these protests have been already in the US, and also how necessary they are there. Of course there are some absurd performative elements to some of it, and I'm not convinced it's a good idea in the middle of a pandemic, but protesting against police brutality is more useful than shopping or going to a bar and that's allowed in most states now.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses.

Scott_xP said:

He will be the envy of the other 27 EU leaders when he rocks up to trade talks in AirBorisOne/ BorisForceOne.

OK, but has Macron's Airbus got a Union Flag on it?
    Ah, the Palmerston burn.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Useful info on infection

lol. I like it and shall continue to use it. There is no other catch-all word for the rash of demos, protests, riots, guilt trips, weird washing of feet, statue-topplings, and so on.

It is being done by Woke people, and it offers them the collective rush of an orgasm.

What's the word for the -gasm you were having over all those muscle Marys in the Para berets on Saturday?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

I’m hoping he’ll spend so much time in it and love it so much he’ll forget to come home.

There is a non-trivial chance he may only ever use it once
    Scott_xP said:
    Siri, give me the definition of irony.

eadric said:

eadric said:

Useful info on infection

What's the word for the -gasm you were having over all those muscle Marys in the Para berets on Saturday?
    A dropgasm?
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

There is a non-trivial chance he may only ever use it once
    Fleeing into exile as the revolution comes for him?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Scott_xP said:
    AA's previous livery was almost all bare metal though, so there may be an additional cost to strip off the existing paintwork. Does seem excessive though!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    Pulpstar said:

I reckon paint was a good business to get into when the railways were privatized. The amount of money that has been spent repainting trains over the last 25 years must be astronomical.
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

At about £7 a pop per can. I reckon I'd still get a nice holiday out of the cheque
    But how many cans? A plane has quite a large surface area, and it has to last.
    Actually they say to vinyl wrap a car is around a quarter of a paint job, so I am tempted by a vinyl wrap.

Longevity? It only has to last to the end of Johnson's Premiership- which might not be too long.

I think I'll stop now.

eadric said:

eadric said:

Useful info on infection

Alt-right hander?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,404
    rpjs said:

I thought the reason Boris Force One is currently grey is because its primary rôle is as a tanker and so needs to be as radar un-reflective as possible for survivability in combat. The re-paint means that in the event of Vladimir Vladimirovitch deciding to make a dash for the Baltic, the RAF will be down one tanker as either it'll be a sitting duck or they won't dare to deploy it anyway.

Mind you, I'm no expert. I'd be interested in @Dura_Ace's opinion.

It’ll stick out like a sore thumb on radar, no matter what the colour. The mil grey colour helps for camouflage when on approach in a war zone, and perhaps aids refuelling operations by reducing glare on the pilots following close behind.

If for any reason it needs to see a war zone, they’ll paint it back to boring mil grey, but if it’s going to be flying round the world with trade delegations for a couple of years it’s probably better in red, white and blue.

This is a non political question but as my wife and I may venture out soon after 12 weeks locked away I have acquired face masks but on trying them on my glasses steam up

As I have to wear glasses to drive I will not be able to do both

Is this just me or has anyone advice on this strange issue

I don't think there's any reason to wear the mask actually over your face while you're driving with the windows up, just be ready to put it on properly as soon as you get out.

Also with the disposable kind, the top is usually slightly stiffer so you can mould it to fit close around your nose and cheeks. I've found that very effective in stopping the glasses fogging issue.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,463
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Ah, the Palmerston burn.
    Have the Tories started talking about refurbishing Forts Nelson, Cumberland, Brockhurst, etc. etc.?
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I reckon paint was a good business to get into when the railways were privatized. The amount of money that has been spent repainting trains over the last 25 years must be astronomical.
    Just think about all the effort involved in spraying all those Virgins.

Oops, I meant in repainting the Virgin Trains fleet when Avanti took over the franchise.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985

Cyclefree said:

Slovakia wins the Presidential Flight Design One-Upmanship award, I think...

• Scott_xP said:
    Some people, like you with your gloating and sneering, will no doubt love every single job loss in deprived communities and put it down to brexit.

The fact is De La Rue are in trouble and have been for a long time and closures are part of,the solution. We are fast becoming a cashless society.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2020/01/30/why-is-a-company-that-prints-money-running-out-of-cash/
    Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

I thought the reason Boris Force One is currently grey is because its primary rôle is as a tanker and so needs to be as radar un-reflective as possible for survivability in combat. The re-paint means that in the event of Vladimir Vladimirovitch deciding to make a dash for the Baltic, the RAF will be down one tanker as either it'll be a sitting duck or they won't dare to deploy it anyway.

It’ll stick out like a sore thumb on radar, no matter what the colour. The mil grey colour helps for camouflage when on approach in a war zone, and perhaps aids refuelling operations by reducing glare on the pilots following close behind.

If for any reason it needs to see a war zone, they’ll paint it back to boring mil grey, but if it’s going to be flying round the world with trade delegations for a couple of years it’s probably better in red, white and blue.
    I imagine that a bold Union Flag colour scheme could well make it useless as a tanker - too many confusing extraneous visual cues for pilots used to formating very narrowly on grey tankers with only a few carefully locayed bright colour stripes.
    edited June 2020
    A “Car Crash PMQs for Boris” headline that won’t worry the PM too much.

One embarrassed police driver will be getting tea and biscuits though, with no tea and no biscuits! (Although in his defence, that Range Rover probably weighs around five tonnes).
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

DId they get that second-hand from Alaskan Airlines?
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Nah, they just wrap 'em in vinyl.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,747
    The red white and blue plane is a very good idea. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office merger is a very good idea. The motivations for both these actions are quite clear - the Government is going to do its utmost to promote Britain's interests overseas. The people dissing both these ideas are people who were never going to be reconciled to Boris, his Government, or Brexit.
  • eadric said:

Useful info on infection

Well we haven’t seen a spike so far and the first major protests were a couple of weeks ago.
    FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

But it looks like a 15 year old Airbus. Style over substance!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,857

eadric said:

eadric said:

Useful info on infection

Alt-right hander?
    Eadric attention disorder ?
  • Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Trump displaying signs of poor health may be evidence of Plan B. He cannot risk the legal jeopardy that a defeat represents for him and his family. The solution is to resign for health reasons and then for him and his circle to receive a pardon from Pence in the style that Ford gave Nixon. It could all happen very quickly should Charles Koch and others decide to limit the damage in November.

The red white and blue plane is a very good idea. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office merger is a very good idea. The motivations for both these actions are quite clear - the Government is going to do its utmost to promote Britain's interests overseas. The people dissing both these ideas are people who were never going to be reconciled to Boris, his Government, or Brexit.

How was it in Matthew Parker Street today?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,272
    edited June 2020

Andy_JS said:

"Munira Mirza is the bigoted Left's worst nightmare

The No 10 adviser tasked with a new racial equality commission refuses to bend to identity politics
    RAKIB EHSAN"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/16/munira-mirza-bigoted-lefts-worst-nightmare/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Extremely refreshing and important. The identitarian left is about to discover that genuine diversity comes in thought as well as in immutable characteristics...
    As refreshing as appointing a homeopath to spearhead a review into cancer treatments.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,593
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

I imagine that a bold Union Flag colour scheme could well make it useless as a tanker - too many confusing extraneous visual cues for pilots used to formating very narrowly on grey tankers with only a few carefully locayed bright colour stripes.
    It's also a bit needy. Imagine this.

Keep the plane grey, but a discreet lion and unicorn in black on the tail.

Because we don't need a gaudy flag, we're the United Kingdom, and we're that confident, classy and practical.

Basically, what would the Queen prefer?
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eadric said:

This is a non political question but as my wife and I may venture out soon after 12 weeks locked away I have acquired face masks but on trying them on my glasses steam up

As I have to wear glasses to drive I will not be able to do both

Is this just me or has anyone advice on this strange issue

I think government advice is to do an eye test somewhere in County Durham.
    That is a sad answer to a genuine question. Pathetic
    Is sense of humour failure a Covid symptom? Hopefully not.
    On topic, did I get round to recommending the Brewdog Barnard Castle Eye Test Hazy Durham IPA? It's really excellent although at 6% you wouldn't want to be drinking it before driving. Any other PBers got hold of it?
    What a horrible comment.
    Big G I think you might be over-reacting to some gently playful comments, because of your understandable stress and anxiety.
    I certainly didn't mean anything by it, I was just making a joke but it obviously backfired and so I apologise.
    I would recommend the beer though.
    G get the masks with the metal strip in them make sure the strip is at the top and then fit the mask over your nose bending the strip into the contours of your nose. As an aside you don’t need your mask on in the car only when you get out, unless you are picking up random hitch hikers.
    Sandpit said:

One embarrassed police driver will be getting tea and biscuits though, with no tea and no biscuits! (Although in his defence, that Range Rover probably weighs around five tonnes).
    They arrested the plonker:

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1273270123365896194?s=20

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

Because we don't need a gaudy flag, we're the United Kingdom, and we're that confident, classy and practical.

Much prefer this idea.

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

Indeed. Look at the postage stamps of the UK. Just a simple Queen's head. I know it's because the GPO pioneered them - but it has the same stylistic logic.

And it avoids making a tanker from the very small fleet of the RAF useless.

Sandpit said:

They arrested the plonker:

https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1273270123365896194?s=20
    Johnson arrested?
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

It looks a bit like the aero equivalent of a Lada. Anyone recognise what make and model it is?

Scott_xP said:
    Some people, like you with your gloating and sneering, will no doubt love every single job loss in deprived communities and put it down to brexit.

The fact is De La Rue are in trouble and have been for a long time and closures are part of,the solution. We are fast becoming a cashless society.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/francescoppola/2020/01/30/why-is-a-company-that-prints-money-running-out-of-cash/
    You don't think it's ironic that the nasty EU passports were made in the UK while the nice British blue passports are made in the EU? It just sums up the stupidity of the whole exercise and how it was always about prioritising things that don't matter (what colour your passport is) over things that do (jobs).
    I have nothing but sympathy for the people who lost their jobs, btw. No gloating or sneering from me, I grew up on Tyneside so i can imagine the impact on Gateshead.

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

The Airtanker scheme contains a number of core planes setup for RAF duties now and a number of "surge" planes that are leased to commercial airlines but can be called on for military tankers and transports if required. As the VVIP transport probably isn't being used for military duties anyway, it's effectively a surge plane too.

Scott_xP said:

You don't think it's ironic that the nasty EU passports were made in the UK while the nice British blue passports are made in the EU? It just sums up the stupidity of the whole exercise and how it was always about prioritising things that don't matter (what colour your passport is) over things that do (jobs).
    I have nothing but sympathy for the people who lost their jobs, btw. No gloating or sneering from me, I grew up on Tyneside so i can imagine the impact on Gateshead.
    How many really voted based on the color of their passport?
    alterego said:

rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

It looks a bit like the aero equivalent of a Lada. Anyone recognise what make and model it is?
    Is it an old Russian Tupolov?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Love the new passports, and the best part is they don't say European Union on them :smiley:
    eadric said:
    Amazing fact - one of the spectators was Christopher Lee, who was staying with a journalist reporting on the execution.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

Her Madge or the other lot?
    edited June 2020

alterego said:

rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

I had to look it up - I wondered if it was a DC-9 or BAC111 but actually it's a Fokker 100 as best I can make out. Edit: definitely, if that registration is -BYB on the engine nacelle in the photo.

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

But it looks like a 15 year old Airbus. Style over substance!
    That's a Fokker 100 plane, I think. Slovakia does have an AIrbus A319, I think, in its presidential flight but the design doesn't work so well. The plane is too fat.
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Air Force One for Boris? RAF plane for VIPs gets a union jack makeover
    The prime minister’s plane, also used by royalty, is getting a new paint job costing £100,000 plus

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/16/air-force-one-for-boris-raf-plane-for-vips-gets-a-union-jack-makeover

Which is bang in the middle for the quoted 777 repaint (not forgetting that there may be more bits n'pieces on the RAF Voyager than a regular airliner.

Where did Faisal Islam get his £900,000 from?

• CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

How many really voted based on the color of their passport?
    Didn't know you were an American!
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The No 10 adviser tasked with a new racial equality commission refuses to bend to identity politics
    RAKIB EHSAN"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/16/munira-mirza-bigoted-lefts-worst-nightmare/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Extremely refreshing and important. The identitarian left is about to discover that genuine diversity comes in thought as well as in immutable characteristics...
    As refreshing as appointing a homeopath to spearhead a review into cancer treatments.
    Homeopathy as a specific medical practise uses infinitesimally small quantities of active ingredients diluted so much that any efficacy is implausible except as a placebo. Indeed, people have conducted 'mass overdoses' of homeopathic remedies to show how useless they are.

However, if your comment was aimed more widely and you're referring to any naturopathic doctor spearheading a review into cancer treatments, yes that would be very refreshing. And probably result in far better cancer outcomes that we have in the UK at the moment.
    Andy_JS said:

RAKIB EHSAN"

Munira Mirza, Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Kemi Badenoch...

All the wrong sort of BAME, according to the woke left mob.
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

The real question when it comes to American elections is "has Cromwell come back under and alt-account and what is his opinion?"

His betting judgement on Rubio was appalling but...

Cromwell said:

Any one who bets on Trump winning the nomination has a crude and simplistic grasp of American politics ; furthermore , they deserve to lose their money

Trump is a ''reality TV star '' who has descended into malignant narcissism and megalomania ..he's Dr Strangelove or a cartoonish James bond villain ; he's not a demagogue , but a comedic parody of a demagogue ...TRUMPOLINI I presume ?

There are simply not that many gormless voters in the GOP ; Trump is polling lower than Bernie Sanders but only looks like a winner because the opposition have not unified ...he probably will win New Hampshire but his victories can only last until the establishment unifies

Trump is a venal opportunist who loves running for president but would be horrified if the presidency were actually forced upon him

Trump's supporters are gormless beyond belief ; if he chewed the head off a puppy on live TV they would applaud him for making the world more safer for cats !

Weirdly predicted Biden's sweep to victory in the Dem race of 2020. Just 4 years too early with his logic.
    Apart from the bad prediction that sounds like one great poster.

Where are they? - Come back!
    He was very rude to people who did not share his galaxy brain take on Rubio. He was rude in a way to HYUFD that only I am allowed to be

Rubio will now unify the establishment lane and steamroll to victory ; he will win NH and Nevada too .....this has been on the cards for months and would have been clear to anyone able to read between the lines

RUBIO WILL BE THE NEXT US PRESIDENT .....frame this comment for posterity

Which you duly did, I see. What a miss. Charismatic writing sometimes co-incides with acute perception but just as often it doesn't.

So why did this poster leave? Was it under a big thick cloud?
    He made strong predictions about what would happen in NH, they didn't happen. He was never seen again.
    OK! - the perils of going out on a limb.

On which topic, if it turns out I'm calling WH2020 all wrong and Donald Trump gets re-elected PB.com will probably not be seeing ME again.

Unless somebody amazingly gifted gets to the ledge in time and talks me down.

alterego said:

rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s a Fokker 100.

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

The prime minister’s plane, also used by royalty, is getting a new paint job costing £100,000 plus

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/16/air-force-one-for-boris-raf-plane-for-vips-gets-a-union-jack-makeover

Which is bang in the middle for the quoted 777 repaint (not forgetting that there may be more bits n'pieces on the RAF Voyager than a regular airliner.

Bear in mind

(a) scheme is more complex than most (not all) airliners
    (b) it's a PFI job - with the implications

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    eadric said:

Scott_xP said:

The idea that the French president suffers an austere life compared to other world leaders is.... interesting.

The Elysee is probably the most opulent HQ for any elected head of state anywhere in the world. It is notoriously sybaritic. And the same lifestyle is expected when the POTFR travels.

Downing St is a slum in comparison.
    Indeed, the PM and Queen are Heads of a UN Security Council P5 power, along with the President of the US, and the Presidents and PMs of China and Russia and France, they should certainly have access to the same travel arrangements the French President does
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,124
    eadric said:
    Don't worry, the protestors in Seattle are looking forward to bringing it back for anyone who opposes their 'revolution'.
    ydoethur said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s a Fokker 100.
    Language!
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

It costs 60 times what any sane person would pay for it and is still shit?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922
    edited June 2020
    Face coverings.

I've invested in a 6 pack of stetchy light neck-gaiters, known as snoods, which are less expensive than the masks and available. Plus I'll use them for cycling when cold or windy for the foreseeable.

I ordered these for £11.99 and they came next day this week, and fit:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GFQEBC0

Mainly patterned though one design is a bit yoof.

I also have a small number of N95 masks should they be needed

What have others done?

ydoethur said:

alterego said:

rpjs said:

FF43 said:

Cyclefree said:

It’s a Fokker 100.
    Language!
    This Fokker is taking the President of Slovakia for a ride.

Scott_xP said:

It's the kind of thing that sends Twitter into a frenzy, but the bottom line is that the May Government awarded the contract to the company that put in the best bid. Obviously the management of De La Rue also felt the prospect of the job going overseas was preposterous, and therefore didn't feel they needed to make their bid competitive. Personally, I would like jobs in the UK to be considered as a factor in public procurement (I don't believe it has up until this point, unlike with almost all other world governments), but equally, companies need to know they can't gouge the taxpayer.
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

If I said that I'd be accused of being agin the UF on political principle - so thank you for coming in and dealing with that!
    What Colorado is getting right about reopening
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/16/colorado-coronavirus-reopen-324390
    ..Polis has balanced libertarian sensibilities with public health doctrine since issuing a statewide stay-at-home order on March 26 following a burst of cases. His “safer at home” reopening, which even drew praise from President Donald Trump, was more like a tiptoe than a march: Dine-in service at restaurants didn’t begin until May 27. Gyms and pools only followed at limited capacity this month. And bars and residential summer camps can only begin operating at limited capacity this week.

That’s in contrast to Utah, which never imposed a stay-at-home order and where gyms and dine-in service began on May 1. The average number of new infections has roughly doubled there since the beginning of this month. In Arizona, where casinos, restaurants and gyms opened by mid-May, hospitalizations are up 40 percent since June 1 and the health department recently told hospitals to “fully activate” emergency plans.

“We’re only a few steps ahead of this virus,” Polis said this week. “We can’t let good news give us a false sense of security. We see some of our neighboring states, Arizona and Utah, moving the wrong way.”..

And they wear masks.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

RAKIB EHSAN"

More like appointing Galileo to research astronomy rather than leaving it in the hands of the Catholic Inquisition...
    Trump has (half) a point about the polls

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/17/trump-polls-biden-324210
    ...The national polls showing Trump trailing Biden by an increasing margin aren’t “phony” or rigged.

But some pollsters, especially the relatively few who conduct surveys in battleground states, are still grappling with the problems that plagued those polls four years ago. In fact, most pollsters believe that, on balance, state polls are overstating the scale of Biden’s advantage.

That was precisely the problem in 2016: The national polls were largely accurate, to within the margin of error. But there were too few state polls, and many of those that were conducted failed to collect accurate data, especially from white voters without college degrees in key swing states.

And those issues haven’t been fixed.

“I would say that most, if not all, of the concerns that we expressed still hold — some to a lesser degree,” said Courtney Kennedy, director of research at the Pew Research Center and lead author of the polling industry’s post-2016 autopsy. “But I think some of the fundamental, structural challenges that came to a head in 2016 are still in place in 2020.”
    edited June 2020
    Brom said:

Love the new passports, and the best part is they don't say European Union on them :smiley:

I think they're a fairly close match to the old ones - I'm too young to remember them, but I've seen my Mum's and it always looked black to me, never blue.

However, the truest black always contains blue. The costume department apparently always put some blue into James Bond's dinner suits so they come out inky black on screen, otherwise they can look grey or brown.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    What an arrogant dismissal of our relationship with our New Zealand allies
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,406
    "The myth of white privilege
    British capitalism was built on the ruthless exploitation of wage slaves, not black slaves.
    MOSES DUBE"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/17/the-myth-of-white-privilege/
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

I have found it wise to steer clear of the occupants of any vehicle bearing a Union Flag or the flag of St George. Perhaps Boris is channelling his inner chav.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited June 2020
    This is interesting (the whole thread is worth a look):

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1273293116301357057
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1273293120453607429

This one looks like a case of the EU doing exactly what it accuses the UK of doing: wanting to reproduce aspects of EU/EEA membership without us being EU/EEA members.

Edit: I see @CarlottaVance has already posted some of the thread.

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

RAKIB EHSAN"

Homeopathy as a specific medical practise uses infinitesimally small quantities of active ingredients diluted so much that any efficacy is implausible except as a placebo. Indeed, people have conducted 'mass overdoses' of homeopathic remedies to show how useless they are.

However, if your comment was aimed more widely and you're referring to any naturopathic doctor spearheading a review into cancer treatments, yes that would be very refreshing. And probably result in far better cancer outcomes that we have in the UK at the moment.
    The allusion was - somebody heads an inquiry into something they do not think is worth looking into and probably do not even believe in. It almost worked. It's not bad.

I thought you would be quite big in homeopathy. Just goes to show. Assumptions about people are fraught with danger. Avoid where possible.
    edited June 2020
    ukpaul said:

Apologies if someone mentioned this but, just skimming the last thread, there's an obvious reason why Starmer won't say yes to schools going back. It's also a stupid question from Johnson, as it seems to be something else that he doesn't know about.

Starmer does want schools to further reopen but he can't push that because he's seen the returning pupil figures and, on average, only 25% of those who could return did so. Parents are clearly not on board (and polls showed that well before anyway). It might just be something to do with the initial attempt to off half a million of us and then Johnson nearly dying himself. If you want the reason why people are so cautious compared to other countries that's why, so there is very little trust left regarding what claims are being made now.

There are millions of people, many of whom are in low-paid or hourly paid work, who can’t go back to work and face losing their jobs if the schools don’t reopen.

That’s before we think of the kids who need school because they have a chaotic home life, live with someone violent, addicted or abusive, don’t have a computer at home, don’t have parents who care about education etc.

It’s fine for a bunch of middle class parents who love educating their kids and can do home school in the nice garden at this time of year.

Yet Starmer, who’s been sending his own kids to school because he can, chooses not to side with getting the poor and disadvantaged kids back to school - siding instead with the teachers’ unions, for whom no amount of precautions taken would be enough.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    I am sure our relationship with the kiwis will be fruitful.
    ...and with banana republics.

Cyclefree said:

They should just draw a giant cock on the side of the plane. Then it will be obvious who has just landed.
    I am still laughing at that!

Cheaper too!
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

RAKIB EHSAN"

Wokeists: All forms of diversity in all areas of life are good by definition, and the absence of diversity is bad by definition.

Tories: Wonderful. How about these BAME Conservatives with their own considered views on these matters?

Wokeists: Not that kind of diversity! Heretics!

:wink:
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

I have found it wise to steer clear of the occupants of any vehicle bearing a Union Flag or the flag of St George. Perhaps Boris is channelling his inner chav.
    BJ's going to plaster the windows with Help For Heroes and I Stand With Soldier F stickers, isn't he?

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    I am sure our relationship with the kiwis will be fruitful.
    ...and with banana republics.
    Actually, we’re distancing ourselves from the French.

I was going to say Luxembourg, but then I remembered they’re not a republic.
    edited June 2020

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

I was myself thinking more of those pop culture Minis or Mini Mokes of the 1960s (I am a bit too young for that era really).

I'd be interested to see how the designers achieve the result on the Johnson-Mobile. It seems to be hard to get a UJ which is recogniseable without it looking like a hippymobile at one extreme or so undertstated at the other that it's not recogniseable as a UJ - like the later British Airways scheme on Concorde for instance. Didn't the latter upset Mrs T so much she draped a hanky over the GRP model showing it at a Farnborough Air Show? Or am I misremembering?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922
    rpjs said:

Scott_xP said:
    AA's previous livery was almost all bare metal though, so there may be an additional cost to strip off the existing paintwork. Does seem excessive though!
    They also had about 500 planes :smiley:

Perhaps Faisal gets the same price as Barratt when he gets his house done.
  • eadric said:
    I'm not sure that's technically correct as there were public executions in Algeria into the 1940s and I think beyond, some using the guillotine, that Albert Camus documented. And Algeria was part of France (as three French departments rather than a colony) until independence.
    I think it's highly likely there will be a new Royal Yacht too. Or at least something refitted - perhaps there will be a fair few boats going begging.

Cyclefree said:

They should just draw a giant cock on the side of the plane. Then it will be obvious who has just landed.
    https://youtu.be/ARXqNc5DGXU
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,119

Scott_xP said:

Red, white and blue!
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

I was myself thinking more of those pop culture Minis or Mini Mokes of the 1960s (I am a bit too young for that era really).

I'd be interested to see how the designers achieve the result on the Johnson-Mobile. It seems to be hard to get a UJ which is recogniseable without it looking like a hippymobile at one extreme or so undertstated at the other that it's not recogniseable as a UJ - like the later British Airways scheme on Concorde for instance. Didn't the latter upset Mrs T so much she draped a hanky over the GRP model showing it at a Farnborough Air Show? Or am I misremembering?
    My son has a monochrome union flag on the glass sunroof of his Mini Cooper S. It only cost £25 from AliExpress and looks good.

We could paper Boris' plane with AliExpress vinyl decals for next to nothing.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Guardian says:

Bear in mind

No, she was draping the rebranded BA tailfin art that removed the Union Flag and was just 'world designs' - I think the one she covered was based on Dutch pottery but I could be wrong.
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

RAKIB EHSAN"

Blimey, are they all members of the Revolutionary Communist Party too?
This discussion has been closed.