Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trumpity Trump: Why Betting on Biden is the right strategy

SystemSystem Posts: 12,053
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trumpity Trump: Why Betting on Biden is the right strategy

The more I think about the US election, the more I think we’re underweighting the edge scenarios. And of the edge scenarios, I think the one we’re underweighting most is the one where the Democrats have a really good night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    A one, a two...
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    A one two three four
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,451
    Thinking about schools, I'm less convinced they're safe than I was an hour ago after Boris' panto performance at PMQs on the matter.
    On topic: Yep, best strat is to back Biden.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Pulpstar said:

Thinking about schools, I'm less convinced they're safe than I was an hour ago after Boris' panto performance at PMQs on the matter.

The government has no clue what it is doing. That’s all anyone needs to know.

In the middle of a pandemic and economic emergency its priority was abolishing DiFiD.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451

Fingers crossed you're right.

I'm not betting on this, I despise Trump too much to bet rationally on it and don't have faith in Americans not to re-elect him.

My big concern is GOP voter suppression. They will do it on a massive scale and very brazenly - and they control the courts where it matters.

• david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,581
    Excellent article (other than it takes 270 ECVs to win, unless you want to have to rely on the House, which Trump probably can).

I agree that too many people are letting the recent record excessively influence their thinking. Yes, America is deeply divided but a (say) 51-43 split is still fairly deeply divided but would probably lead to a lop-sided landslide in the Electoral College.

Trump in 2016 was an extremely effective negative campaigner but I'm beginning to wonder whether he still has that in him. He's looking all of his 74 years now, if not more; contrast that with four years ago when he could easily have passed for someone in his early sixties. Sure, he's up against someone even older but that's not the point.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,545
    My God, I hope you're right.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,581
    An interesting point Robert hints at but lets go is the extent to which there's value in the edge case at the other side: Trump doing at least as well as 2016.

To be honest, I think that's hard. his actions of the last four years have put a granite ceiling on his support, so it's all down to suppressing Biden's vote even lower than Hillary's - and, as Robert points out, doing it with pinpoint accuracy in the right places.

Trump could win re-election but I think it'll be hard for him to top 300 ECVs again.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    edited June 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

In the middle of a pandemic and economic emergency its priority was abolishing DiFiD.
    So, you don't like the Govt. everyone gets that..., if its not doing something you criticise it, if it is doing something you criticise it because its wrong or at the wrong time or their priorities are wrong.

At least this time your criticism was in only a few words.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,523
    Fantastic article from Robert.

:+1:

In recent days I have started a little nibble of bets on the 'edge' event as Robert calls it starting with TX state going Dem.

I worry that I am so desperate to see the back of Trump that it is massive heart betting over head, but I'm only betting for a few pints.

Most of my head says the malevolent SOB will win four more years.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,254
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Robert. I've independently reached a similar conclusion myself in recent days and have lumped on JB accordingly.

In my case, it was more the polls that did it. It's not so much the swing States, although they are bad for the President, but the safer seats such as Montana and Arkansas. He's fallen away badly and that suggests an across the board discontent with him. As you correctly point out, he had a mighty small margin in his favour to begin with. Any loss of support at all virtually guarantees defeat.

One small betting point to consider is whether to play on the Next President or Winning Party market. I prefer the latter. In the former, you run the risks of either Biden or Trump not standing. In view of their age, and Trump's erratic behavior, that is a significant factor.
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Going back to your concerns about opening up pubs and cafes. Telegraph has this commentary as part of an article on the urgent need to open up now.

"Our leaders are encouraged by polling that shows continuing public support for their strategy. But when people survey the wreckage of their lives a few months from now, they will forget that they were rooting for the toughest lockdown possible. They will be looking for someone to blame, and I know who it will be."

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,338
    It's interesting that in something like 2/3rds of the simulations on those vote shares Trump wins. Not by as much but he wins. It rather belies the argument that he somehow fluked it.

Of course it shows the republican bias in the system with a lot of small, poorly populated states over represented in the EC and very republican. It shows (again) the ineptitude of Hilary as a campaigner. But it is also a warning that a mere lead in the polling is not enough for Biden.

I very, very much hope that it is adieu Mr President. But I am not counting my chickens.
    Also in Telegraph, Sikora imploring the government to get things open and move on from the failed modellers. Why is the rest of Europe opening up?

"But so far, our gloomy epidemiologists have been wrong on virtually everything."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/17/declare-pandemic-get-normal-lives/

Fantastic article from Robert.

:+1:

In recent days I have started a little nibble of bets on the 'edge' event as Robert calls it starting with TX state going Dem.

I worry that I am so desperate to see the back of Trump that it is massive heart betting over head, but I'm only betting for a few pints.

Most of my head says the malevolent SOB will win four more years.

Head and heart syaing the same thing here, but Texas is a big ask. The Democrats don't need it though and are unlikely to commit resources to what would be a glory prize. If they takes Texas, it's a landslide.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    On topic:

Yes, on just about every measurable indicator, Trump looks like ash, not just toast. The part I've been banging on about is the economy - the enhanced unemployment support of $600 a week is due to disappear in six weeks, and that could push even more desperate people into the 'anyone-but-Trump' column. Millions have lost their job-dependent healthcare, and evictions could soar in the coming months, as could coronavirus cases in red states. It's a perfect storm. Even if the economy is somehow rebounding strongly in November, the absolute level of immiseration will be a deadly anchor on his campaign.

Biden won the primary largely by being the default candidate, and that will serve him extremely well in the general election - the reassuring, moderate face unlikely to scare anyone away, including former Trump voters who might otherwise be afraid of letting in the forces of progressive radicalism.

What we're left with are wild cards - let's say Biden implodes during the debates and comes across as severely mentally-impaired. What then? The voters would face an awful dilemma.

More minor risks would include choosing a running-mate who is seen as unacceptable to the swing voters he needs, since the VP looks very likely to become President at some point this time. But for that very reason he'll probably choose a safe pair of hands.

I'm not betting on this, I despise Trump too much to bet rationally on it and don't have faith in Americans not to re-elect him.

My big concern is GOP voter suppression. They will do it on a massive scale and very brazenly - and they control the courts where it matters.

There is also 'shy' Trump voters who will not tell polling companies how they will vote.

Top up on Biden POTUS at 1.89.
    Think that's very generous right now.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,186

Also in Telegraph, Sikora imploring the government to get things open and move on from the failed modellers. Why is the rest of Europe opening up?

"But so far, our gloomy epidemiologists have been wrong on virtually everything."

Yup, the government scientists have been either too complacent (quarantine on incoming travellers in January, lockdown two weeks too late) or in a complete panic (no pubs, no schools, 2 metre distancing).

We've completely fucked it up here.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,265
    Excellent header. Delighted that people are catching me up. :smile:

A key factor in my thinking is to put myself in the position of those - and it's surely a big group - who voted Trump in 2016 rather reluctantly but thinking "Ok, at least he's different, let's give him a chance, let's see what he's like in the job."

So now here we are 4 years later and - yep - they have seen what he's like in the job.

I'll leave it there.

Dem landslide is imo the most likely outcome. PV by more than 5% and EC by over 150.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,186
    On topic, I want to believe that Trump will be gone in January but November is far away and the campaign is going to be absolutely brutal. Last year not-Trump wasn't enough, it looks like it will be this year, but I'm honestly not certain.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,521

What we're left with are wild cards - let's say Biden implodes during the debates and comes across as severely mentally-impaired. What then? The voters would face an awful dilemma.

Ironically that'd be a more worrying scenario against any other opponent than Trump. They're going to be such a bin fire in any case, short of Sleepy Joe stripping off he'll *probably* be ok. If Biden puts in solidly mediocre performances, we may be in Dem landslide territory.
  • Fingers crossed you're right.

Same here, I Am almost tempted to bet on him just so that if he wins I wont feel quite as awful about it.
  • JSpringJSpring Posts: 100
    The American liberal left should already be worrying about 2024. Why? Because, regardless of whether Biden or Trump wins in November, the Republican nominee next time is likely to be Mike Pence. Pence would be the first genuine member of the Religious Right to be a major party's nominee. The likes of Reagan, Trump, the Bushes etc are/were merely lip service providers to that tendency. And given that Pence is quite affable in public and given that the economy will still likely be in the doldrums at that point, he could well win.

But so far, our mechanic has been wrong on virtually everything on fixing our car; let me, a plumber, pontificate on what we should do.'

I assume old Karl doesn't talk about Sweden so much nowadays?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385
    JSpring said:

The American liberal left should already be worrying about 2024. Why? Because, regardless of whether Biden or Trump wins in November, the Republican nominee next time is likely to be Mike Pence. Pence would be the first genuine member of the Religious Right to be a major party's nominee. The likes of Reagan, Trump, the Bushes etc are/were merely lip service providers to that tendency. And given that Pence is quite affable in public and given that the economy will still likely be in the doldrums at that point, he could well win.

Assuming he isn't named in any Trump indictments...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

It's interesting that in something like 2/3rds of the simulations on those vote shares Trump wins. Not by as much but he wins. It rather belies the argument that he somehow fluked it.

Of course it shows the republican bias in the system with a lot of small, poorly populated states over represented in the EC and very republican. It shows (again) the ineptitude of Hilary as a campaigner. But it is also a warning that a mere lead in the polling is not enough for Biden.

I very, very much hope that it is adieu Mr President. But I am not counting my chickens.

There's plenty of small Blue States as well crowding about in the north east. OF the top (bottom?) 10 smallest states 5 are Dem and 5 are GOP.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006
    edited June 2020
    When Covid-19 hit the US I thought Trump might get away with shifting a significant amount of blame onto Democratic Governors in states like New York which were hardest hit early on.

Looking at the stats now the scary increases in infections are in the south and South West and in states like Florida where gung-ho GOP governers downplayed the problem, opened up early etc etc.

From anyone with better first-hand knowledge of what is happening in the states I would be interested to know whether recent upsurge in cases has back-fired on the anti-lockdowners and "it's all a hoax" brigade. We don't seem to hear much of them lately

Also I'd be interested to know if the daily death rates are widely being accepted as they seem very low in many states given what we know from elsewhere.
    If I was Dem inclined billionaire I would totally fund an effort to buy a million Californian Democrats property in small rural GOP states and get them registered there.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,984
    Incumbent presidents point to their record. 2020 was necessarily going to be a different campaign for Trump from the 2016 "Drain the swamp" insurgency. From his tweets it was clear he was going to hang his 2020 campaign on artificially boosted job and stockmarket figures. That looks like a goner.

Ironically that'd be a more worrying scenario against any other opponent than Trump. They're going to be such a bin fire in any case, short of Sleepy Joe stripping off he'll *probably* be ok. If Biden puts in solidly mediocre performances, we may be in Dem landslide territory.
    Biden has always been a bit foot-in-mouth so that is probably priced in. You are right that it might matter more against a different opponent, one who was less gaff-prone himself. I seem to recall Trump promising to build a wall around Arizona. He obviously meant Mexico.

Sort of slip up anyone could make.
    edited June 2020
    The Dems are likely to win in 2024. If Trump wins now, it's that almost impossible to win third term time (For the GOP). If Biden wins he has incumbency.
    The candidates running against Biden this time round were sane & moderate enough to win too. And Sanders really will be too old next time. They'll only lose with AOC.

Biden has always been a bit foot-in-mouth so that is probably priced in. You are right that it might matter more against a different opponent, one who was less gaff-prone himself. I seem to recall Trump promising to build a wall around Arizona. He obviously meant Mexico.

Sort of slip up anyone could make.

The fence he put around the Whitehouse was named Tinyman square...
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,459
    NHS England numbers out - 77
    Seven day number - 58
    Spanish Style - 8

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

There's plenty of small Blue States as well crowding about in the north east. OF the top (bottom?) 10 smallest states 5 are Dem and 5 are GOP.
    Yep the GOP bias in terms of not winning the popular vote isn't a result of the Wyomings and Dakotas, there are plenty of Delawares and Hawaiis to counter those.
    It's the insance lopsidedness of California wot does it. The GOP most lopsided states - Oklahoma, Mississippi, West Virginia are all much much smaller and Texas is relatively close. That gives the GOP a nice inbuilt efficiency to start off with. If every state was worth its CORRECT amount of ECVs the result would have been 302 ECVs to Trump last time round, and Florida gets to be even more important !
    OllyT said:

When Covid-19 hit the US I thought Trump might get away with shifting a significant amount of blame onto Democratic Governors in states like New York which were hardest hit early on.

Looking at the stats now the scary increases in infections are in the south and South West and in states like Florida where gung-ho GOP governers downplayed the problem, opened up early etc etc.

From anyone with better first-hand knowledge of what is happening in the states I would be interested to know whether recent upsurge in cases has back-fired on the anti-lockdowners and "it's all a hoax" brigade. We don't seem to hear much of them lately

Also I'd be interested to know if the daily death rates are widely being accepted as they seem very low in many states given what we know from elsewhere.

Texas is showing an alarming increase in C-19 cases. Ted Cruz's ill-judged visit to the barber may prove to be one of the most expensive haircuts in the history of hairdressing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8302025/Ted-Cruz-gets-haircut-Dallas-salon-owner-jailed-keeping-open.html

The low Coraona death rates in the USA are almost certainly due to classification issues.

Seven day number - 58
    Spanish Style - 8

Steady as she goes.
  • theakestheakes Posts: 915
    Well, she indoors, a long supporter of the Prime Minister and lifelong Conservative has today, after watching PM questions said that he will be out by Xmas, She has been finding his inability to stay calm, his bluster, missing the point and as she put it, his talking in riddles, all the arm waving and not looking people in the eye shows he is a very nervous individual who is completely out of his depth.. I guess she is not alone among Conservative supporters..
    Jackson just looks like Jackson, ie a fat old red faced bloke in a wig.

https://twitter.com/gdog2010_john/status/1273040111085793284?s=20

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,465
    One thing I think worth bearing in mind is that Trump continues to poll better than almost all GOP Senate candidates. I don't know whether polls for Senate seats have a good track record, but I think part of the edge case for the Democrats doing really well is that they take the Senate comfortably.

Oddschecker tells me the Republicans are 11/8 to fall under 50 seats. I think that might be value.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    edited June 2020
    Interestingly if Biden is elected President he will be the first Catholic President of the USA since JFK which might explain the swing away from Trump with Catholics

Jackson just looks like Jackson, ie a fat old red faced bloke in a wig.

https://twitter.com/gdog2010_john/status/1273040111085793284?s=20

I'm not convinced the operation would go as well as that for Richard Leonard
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Yep the GOP bias in terms of not winning the popular vote isn't a result of the Wyomings and Dakotas, there are plenty of Delawares and Hawaiis to counter those.
    It's the insance lopsidedness of California wot does it. The GOP most lopsided states - Oklahoma, Mississippi, West Virginia are all much much smaller and Texas is relatively close. That gives the GOP a nice inbuilt efficiency to start off with. If every state was worth its CORRECT amount of ECVs the result would have been 302 ECVs to Trump last time round, and Florida gets to be even more important !
    Indeed, in 2016 Trump was leading the popular vote until the California returns came in

One thing I think worth bearing in mind is that Trump continues to poll better than almost all GOP Senate candidates. I don't know whether polls for Senate seats have a good track record, but I think part of the edge case for the Democrats doing really well is that they take the Senate comfortably.

Oddschecker tells me the Republicans are 11/8 to fall under 50 seats. I think that might be value.

The Republicans in the Senate has been competing to see who can be the most ridiculous and useless, without possessing the Trump brand*.

*Yes, I know. But the Trump brand buys Trump a level of support.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,057
    edited June 2020
    Reposted from previous topic, but in view of Pb-ers interstate's a few days ago I've taken the liberty:

I've just received my fortnightly Private Eye. I regret to report that it is considerably less than impressed with both the Governments and the Post Office's response to the recent Parliamentary exposure of the Post Offices disgusting treatment of (apparently) over 1000 sub-postmaster, quoting an MP with a longstanding interest in the case as saying that it is 'totally inappropriate that the PO have appointed the firm it has to investigate the matter.
    We wait to see.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Alistair said:

If I was Dem inclined billionaire I would totally fund an effort to buy a million Californian Democrats property in small rural GOP states and get them registered there.

Doesn't work that way. You have to be resident to register to vote in a particular state, just like how in the UK you can't acquire a property in some other constituency and register to vote there without actually residing in it, just because you feel your vote might be more effective there.

On topic:

Yes, on just about every measurable indicator, Trump looks like ash, not just toast. The part I've been banging on about is the economy - the enhanced unemployment support of $600 a week is due to disappear in six weeks, and that could push even more desperate people into the 'anyone-but-Trump' column. Millions have lost their job-dependent healthcare, and evictions could soar in the coming months, as could coronavirus cases in red states. It's a perfect storm. Even if the economy is somehow rebounding strongly in November, the absolute level of immiseration will be a deadly anchor on his campaign.

Biden won the primary largely by being the default candidate, and that will serve him extremely well in the general election - the reassuring, moderate face unlikely to scare anyone away, including former Trump voters who might otherwise be afraid of letting in the forces of progressive radicalism.

More minor risks would include choosing a running-mate who is seen as unacceptable to the swing voters he needs, since the VP looks very likely to become President at some point this time. But for that very reason he'll probably choose a safe pair of hands.

Harris, I expect. Be surprised with any other choice.

As to your "economy" point - yes, on the face of it a strong rebound should play well for Trump. But in practice? Very doubtful. Let us remember what happened when he emerged triumphant to talk about the better-than-expected jobs numbers the other week - went "riffing" off piste and delivered the utterly excruciating "it's a great day for George Floyd" performance.

Here it is -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnk0hCgmamQ

Coffin. Nail. Coffin. Nail. Coffin. Nail - lid almost done now - and he's the one with the hammer.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

An interesting point Robert hints at but lets go is the extent to which there's value in the edge case at the other side: Trump doing at least as well as 2016.

To be honest, I think that's hard. his actions of the last four years have put a granite ceiling on his support, so it's all down to suppressing Biden's vote even lower than Hillary's - and, as Robert points out, doing it with pinpoint accuracy in the right places.

Trump could win re-election but I think it'll be hard for him to top 300 ECVs again.

I broadly share Democrat optimism, but I do wonder about voter suppression. If we assume that the Republican camp includes some people untroubled by scruples, as history suggests to be the case, I can see some serious efforts to scare black voters in particular into not voting - try to make postal voting hard, highlight on social media the greater exposure of BAME people to the virus, suggest it's breaking out afresh, etc. People are generally pretty motivated to vote, but if they think it's putting their lives at risk, well, er...
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Ok, I posted a header saying Trump should win so here are my counter-arguments to Robert's well-argued piece.

1. "Many Democrats didn’t come out to vote in 2016." Not necessarily true. Clinton's actual number of votes was virtually the same as Obama in 2012 (65.9m). Yes, she got a lower % of the vote than Obama and, in the African-American population, probably less absolute numbers but she didn't "lose" votes. Also remember Clinton probably got some sort of a boost from being the first potential female President. Biden doesn't have that;

2. Trump probably has a reserve in terms of the 2016 3rd party votes. You look at the 2016 election, 7.6m more people voted than 2012. However, Trump only picked up 2m of those compared with Romney (63m vs 60.9m). Most of the extra went to 3rd party candidates who picked up 7.8m votes in 2016 vs 2.2m in 2012. Most of that 3rd party vote went to parties that you could see as boltholes for Republicans who didn't like Trump - the Libertarians and McMullin together picked up 3.8% of the vote in 2016 vs the Libertarians 1% in 2012. The Greens only came up marginally to 1.1%.
    In states like NV, AZ, CO, VA etc, the shares of Libertarian / McMullin are enough to solidify Trump's position and / or swing (or nearly swing) the states from Dem to Rep. Sure, some Republicans will hate Trump and not vote for him and some may even vote Biden. But there is going to be at least some of that 3.8% that will return home, especially given what is at stake;

3. What gets forgotten about Obama's victory in 2012 is that (a) it wasn't that much wider in terms of victory than Trump's - if c. 245,000 voters had switched sides from Obama to Romney, the latter would have been President (FL, OH, NH, NV, VA) and (b) at the time, Obama's GOTV campaign was hailed as an extraordinary achievement against what many were banking against an Romney victory;

4. I get Robert's points about the polls showing waning confidence in Trump and many on here saying that the 2016 polls actually weren't that far out but there is a reason why Trump was 6/1 on the day and Clinton didn't have a concession scheme and that was because most people expected Clinton to win based on their readings (note not margin) of the polls. My point is that, if you look at what is happening on the ground (actual results, seeming enthusiasm for Trump in terms of those who turn up to his rallies and stick flags in their gardens, the confidence of Republican officials etc), it doesn't feel like a candidate that is losing.

5. Background data and what is important favour Trump. There have been some signs Trump has been picking up younger Black and Hispanic voters (https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article242358621.html) and, while that may change with Black voters with BLM (though I have my doubts given some of the comments I've heard), it is not sure why it should with Hispanic voters who don't count themselves as Black.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,851
    Pulpstar said:

On topic: Yep, best strat is to back Biden.

Or lay Trump.

Reposted from previous topic, but in view of Pb-ers interstate's a few days ago I've taken the liberty:

I've just received my fortnightly Private Eye. I regret to report that it is considerably less than impressed with both the Governments and the Post Office's response to the recent Parliamentary exposure of the Post Offices disgusting treatment of (apparently) over 1000 sub-postmaster, quoting an MP with a longstanding interest in the case as saying that it is 'totally inappropriate that the PO have appointed the firm it has to investigate the matter.
    We wait to see.

Don't worry - the people responsible will leave their jobs. And get better ones. If the report is particularly excruciating, the better jobs will be abroad.

The post masters will not receive compensation on the grounds that it would be upsetting for the people responsible for ruining their lives.

Film at 11
    DavidL said:

If every state votes in line with the Cook Political Voter Index then the result would be:

Democrats = 248 ECV
    Republicans = 260 ECV
    Even (Pennsylvania & Wisconsin) = 30 ECV

So there is a slight advantage to the Republicans in the distribution of votes across States. Clinton did really badly to lose Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin while being 2% ahead in the popular vote, though.

A par score in the Senate gives 54-42 in favour of the GOP (with 4 even). That, and gerrymandering in the House, is a much bigger problem for Democrats than the Electoral College.

And a fair proportion of the governors' mansions.
    I agree; this has the potential to be the most corrupt election since LBJ was around...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577
    Scott_xP said:
    Less than a million quid? Talk about a rounding error.
    Pulpstar said:

Seven day number - 58
    Spanish Style - 8

Steady as she goes.

The trend line is falling linearly, again - which is rather surprising
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,120
    edited June 2020
    theakes said:

Well, she indoors, a long supporter of the Prime Minister and lifelong Conservative has today, after watching PM questions said that he will be out by Xmas, She has been finding his inability to stay calm, his bluster, missing the point and as she put it, his talking in riddles, all the arm waving and not looking people in the eye shows he is a very nervous individual who is completely out of his depth.. I guess she is not alone among Conservative supporters..

Number 10's wheeze of "never mind the question, talk about schools" might have convinced some journalists and even the odd PB-er on the last thread but the thinking Conservative backbencher will surely see it for what it was -- another demonstration that Boris cannot follow the gist of the questions. He has clearly not yet fully recovered from his brush with the dreaded lurgy.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,057

We wait to see.

Don't worry - the people responsible will leave their jobs. And get better ones. If the report is particularly excruciating, the better jobs will be abroad.

The post masters will not receive compensation on the grounds that it would be upsetting for the people responsible for ruining their lives.

Film at 11
    That the 'people responsible will leave their jobs. And get better ones.' I do not doubt.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    JSpring said:

By the time 2024 rolls around, Biden's VP will be President and most US Presidents seem to get two terms unless they really mess up.

The religious right look to be a bit worked up that their newly stacked Supreme Court decided to treat gay and trans people like human beings instead of pariahs and as a result, the bigots seem to be wondering why Trump is not delivering their agenda. The answer is, of course, Trump delivers Trump's agenda.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020

Same - not putting any money on this for that reason. It's awfully easy to be unaware of your own desires filtering information so you only see things one way.

Having said all that, Biden's price does look awfully large given the election will be conducted in a recession, with likely ongoing covid deaths/restrictions, and a very motivated Dem base.
    Scott_xP said:
    That man is still being paid to Bray his nonsense outside Parliament? And you're still retweeting him? Never change! :lol:
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

Interestingly if Biden is elected President he will be the first Catholic President of the USA since JFK which might explain the swing away from Trump with Catholics

I don't think so. Before JFK many Catholics felt that the Presidency was closed to them. They'd've supported JFK as a viable Catholic candidate, even if they didn't agree with many of his political positions. Today Biden, or any other Catholic candidate's, religion is wholly unremarkable, so any Catholic who feels that their religion is an important part of their political beliefs is less likely to vote for Biden as he is relatively socially liberal.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I think Scott P has malfunctioned again.
    Brom said:

I think Scott P has malfunctioned again.

The more Boris owns him, the more he retweets... :wink:

We wait to see.

Film at 11
    That the 'people responsible will leave their jobs. And get better ones.' I do not doubt.
    I remember the smile on Pritti Patels face when I suggested a solution to the problem. For a certain problem anyway.

Even better was the look of utter horror on the official beside her.
    Oh dear, the fanbois are out in force.

Could spending a million pounds on a blow job, sorry respray, be a story that is worrying them..?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Jim: Burandan Airways, they are doing well. How many planes have they got?
    Sir Humphrey: None
    Jim: your eyes Humphrey, what about that one?
    Sir Humphrey: That one was chartered from Freddie Laker last week and repainted specially. Actually there was one 747 that belonged to nine different African airlines in one month, they called it the mumbo jumbo.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,609
    It’s a good article, with perhaps the weakness that most of us want to believe it - there is nothing so convincing as apparently objective analysis that leads to an already preferred conclusion.

The counter argument that worries me is that Biden’s election lacks a real story. Americans love a story, and to watch a story unfold, and most of their successful pitches for the presidency have been based around a strong personal narrative. The maverick outsider TV personality who becomes president was a more compelling tale than of the lifetime Washington insider working her way up toward the top job, and that is disregarding the draw of the being the first female.

Of course, the story of Trump’s re-election isn’t as compelling as the first time around, but then he now has incumbency and precedent on his side.

How are they going to package and sell Biden’s pitch for the White House?
    eadric said:

HYUFD said:
    Unemployment is gonna hit 5m. God elp us all
    Hence the easing of the lockdown must proceed
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,120
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    This time last year Americans were complaining about Trump's design for the new Air Force One livery. That might be what gave Boris the idea.

As ever always read the small print on Senate bets. A bunch of independents that Caucus with the Dems don't count for Dem control of the Senate.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,589
    theakes said:

For all he apparently loves the title and the flummery, the price in self-esteem in the U-turns and failures must get to him. Even today's coup at PMQs (don't bother learning the facts, just memorise this one question to repeat to your opponent), whilst it got him through the day, is the equivalent of playing politics in easy mode.
    Scott_xP said:

Oh dear, the fanbois are out in force.

Could spending a million pounds on a blow job, sorry respray, be a story that is worrying them..?

I expect it'll have exactly the same effect as the last 10,000 stories you retweeted...

I expect it'll have exactly the same effect as the last 10,000 stories

The largest single drop in PM approval ratings in history?

OK, if you say so...
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think so. Before JFK many Catholics felt that the Presidency was closed to them. They'd've supported JFK as a viable Catholic candidate, even if they didn't agree with many of his political positions. Today Biden, or any other Catholic candidate's, religion is wholly unremarkable, so any Catholic who feels that their religion is an important part of their political beliefs is less likely to vote for Biden as he is relatively socially liberal.
    Yet nonetheless there has been an above average swing from Trump to Biden amongst Catholics, Hillary was Methodist, Trump is Presbyterian
    OllyT said:

If it gets bad in Texas, it's going to be hard for the Republicans to avoid blame.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1273102488049192960
    JSpring said:

I don't think so. Pence is regarded as a tad weird even by other evangelicals. The only way he gets the Pres nom in 2024 is if the GOP is still in thrall to Trumpism, which is not likely if Trump does lose bigly this year. And if Trumpism is still a thing in 2024 and the GOP is still a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Trump Organization, I think it's a dead cert that Trump père, assuming he doesn't want to try a Grover Cleveland, will want one of his spawn, either Junior or Ivanka, as the candidate.
    IanB2 said:

It’s a good article, with perhaps the weakness that most of us want to believe it - there is nothing so convincing as apparently objective analysis that leads to an already preferred conclusion.

The counter argument that worries me is that Biden’s election lacks a real story. Americans love a story, and to watch a story unfold, and most of their successful pitches for the presidency have been based around a strong personal narrative. The maverick outsider TV personality who becomes president was a more compelling tale than of the lifetime Washington insider working her way up toward the top job, and that is disregarding the draw of the being the first female.

Of course, the story of Trump’s re-election isn’t as compelling as the first time around, but then he now has incumbency and precedent on his side.

The abject humiliation of Donald Trump and all those who enabled him.

That's a big big story and imo it's strong enough to carry this movie.
    Alistair said:

As ever always read the small print on Senate bets. A bunch of independents that Caucus with the Dems don't count for Dem control of the Senate.
    Yes, I think that's why the bet I cite is structured as "Republicans under 50" and says nothing about the Democrats numbers.
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Yet nonetheless there has been an above average swing from Trump to Biden amongst Catholics, Hillary was Methodist, Trump is Presbyterian
    I think it's more conservative Catholics realizing that Trump is the antithesis of Christian virtue, rather than Biden being one of them.
    Nigelb said:

And a fair proportion of the governors' mansions.
    I agree; this has the potential to be the most corrupt election since LBJ was around...
    Yes - I'm only relaxed (relatively) because I do not think it will be close.
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

The abject humiliation of Donald Trump and all those who enabled him.

That's a big big story and imo it's strong enough to carry this movie.
    The pitch is the restoration of sensible - Biden, the steady hand at the tiller.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Scott_xP said:
    Having read that I can't get the Scooch Eurovision disaster 'Flying the Flag' from my mind.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,545
    eadric said:

ON topic. Trump looks like the toastiest toast in Toastville.

HOWEVER, there is at least one proviso. A genuinely unprecedented economic shock is about to destabilise (even further) the western world (with the risk of a 2nd wave and a 2nd lockdown, to boot).

We could see widespread urban unrest by the end of the year. We've already seen a weird quasi-religious revival sweep the West, along with riots and iconoclasms, why not a bit of civil war?

Very hard to know who would win in that sitch.

I'd say there's a 5-10% chance of something like this happening.

Hopefully if it kicks off we will have someone on the spot to provide us with a breathless and weirdly aroused commentary.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,115

Scott_xP said:
    Having read that I can't get the Scooch Eurovision disaster 'Flying the Flag' from my mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6yOIC6ihI
This discussion has been closed.