Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Weighing up the Biden VP pick betting

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Andy_JS said:
    If on the occasions he's appeared in public recently he'd been wearing a mask, and advocated for others to do the same, I might take that more seriously.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219
    edited June 2020

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

What, the part where I told you that if idiotic vandals on the left set a precedent for political violence then idiotic vandals on the right would emulate it?

I'd say that aged pretty well.
    I see the standard 'individuals must take responsibility for their own actions' right wing mantra has been suspended for the duration of (literal) hostilities.
    if your feelings are hurt and - surprise, surprise - it seems some people were listening.
    While your fellow travellers on the right bravely attack policemen from behind. Tell me, Mr Blue, these fine fellows below share your political philosophy, exactly what are the people below demonstrating for? Are they for or against the police? I can’t tell.

https://twitter.com/VinnieoDowd/status/1271809857507770376
    I have no idea. Hopefully any crimes committed on this march will be harshly punished by the law, just as those committed by your fellow travellers should have been.

Unlike you, I don't attempt to minimize or excuse obvious criminal behaviour by protesters. If they break the law, then they should have the book thrown at them.
    Oh but you do. You very much do. You have tried to excuse the actions of the right as being because, and I quote, “The left has spent the last couple of weeks telling the world that you can do whatever vandalism and rioting you like...” so, risibly, you blame right wing violence against the police on left wing violence. That’s an excuse. A pretty pathetic “they started it” excuse at that.

Also, you say, “any crimes” as opposed to “the crimes” below a video of someone kicking a policeman, suggesting there is doubt. That’s an attempt at minimisation or, indeed, denial.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

If you look at the photos of the far right protests in the press you see things you don;t normally see at far right protests.

Yes there are the usual loudmouth shaven headed tattooed idiots, but there are also decorated veterans and green berets that look like they might be Royal Marines....???

That is because there are a number of separate protests going on at the same time. The veterans had organised a march and protest which was supposed to go to the Cenotaph. When they got there the police then moved them on down to Parliament Square. As always (and just as with the BLM marches) it is not possible to consider them as single events and claim everyone has the same aims or acts in the same way.
    Sounds about right.
    I recommend (the Telegraph’s) Ed Clowes’ twitter feed, which gives a good, and slightly bemused, account of what’s going on.
    https://twitter.com/EdClowes/status/1271787142377865220
    Artificial Intelligence lives matter? Now that is taking the piss
    You can forgive a guy tweeting in the middle of a protest the odd typo. Even if he writes for the Telegraph.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

What, the part where I told you that if idiotic vandals on the left set a precedent for political violence then idiotic vandals on the right would emulate it?

I see the standard 'individuals must take responsibility for their own actions' right wing mantra has been suspended for the duration of (literal) hostilities.
    The left has spent the last couple of weeks telling the world that you can do whatever vandalism and rioting you like if your feelings are hurt and - surprise, surprise - it seems some people were listening.
    While your fellow travellers on the right bravely attack policemen from behind. Tell me, Mr Blue, these fine fellows below share your political philosophy, exactly what are the people below demonstrating for? Are they for or against the police? I can’t tell.

I have no idea. Hopefully any crimes committed on this march will be harshly punished by the law, just as those committed by your fellow travellers should have been.

Unlike you, I don't attempt to minimize or excuse obvious criminal behaviour by protesters. If they break the law, then they should have the book thrown at them.
    The difference is that those opposed to racism have more right on their side than this lot - and that's something you never seem to acknowledge.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358

Literal blackshorts.
    Presumably some BLM bloke doing this last week gave him the idea.

https://twitter.com/JazBlunder/status/1271842229515104265?s=20

Words fail me once again

I have kept away from PB today following an early morning 'lurk' only to see the usual anti Boris mantra from the daily sources and the sheer frustration that for all the 24/7 attacks on him, and HMG, none of it matters as Boris is there for 4 years, unless ill health intervenes or of course his party decide to change leaders, (which of course they are good at)

I have no doubt the polls will see crossover but even that will have no effect

As TM famously said

'Nothing has changed' (other than no transition now)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Last 7 days COVID deaths (confirmed with a test)

Scot: 33 (6/million)
    England: 1122 (20/million)

Death rate in England 3.5x higher in last week than Scot. Scottish Government
    decision to take a cautious approach for last month has clearly now been vindicated.

Surely completely the reverse Malcolm. What it shows is that contrary to Nicola's claims the R rate in Scotland was much lower than in England and we should have been opening up much faster. These figures make the Scottish government's position on schools and shops look even more absurd than it will on Monday.
    David , pointless opening schools now , holidays are in 2 weeks. They should be thinking how to get economy going , hear lots of people getting told jobs are gone.
    Neighbour volunteered to go , his lot were doing 350 and younger fellow other side , GE are looking at 400 at airport. Surely be a lot not going back to work.
    Scottish schools should have been open a fortnight ago. Scottish shops, pubs, restaurants etc should be opened now. Every day we wait after Monday more Scottish businesses will fail and more Scottish jobs will be lost. The message "Stay at home" is exactly the wrong message now. It should be get out there and spend!
    Her excessive caution arising from a bureaucratic mindset is going to cost Scotland very dear.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

The left has spent the last couple of weeks telling the world that you can do whatever vandalism and rioting you like if your feelings are hurt and - surprise, surprise - it seems some people were listening.

Shameful that I should be a fellow traveller with people who think black people should be treated as well as white people are in this country. Shameful that I should be a fellow traveller with such people. I’m sure you’re proud to be associated with these people who are bravely attacking cops...for a reason you can’t even articulate.
    Do you have some sort of memory issue? Over 60 police officers have been injured in clashes with your leftwing protesters, remember? The same protesters who have illegally destroyed one monument and defaced others up and down the country?
    The difference between us is that I want all criminal behaviour to be punished, whereas you seek to excuse and minimize it when you approve of the political motive behind it.

You live in some fantasy world of moral purity no matter what the facts are. The police officer who was knocked off her horse is still in hospital - why don't you ask her if the people who put her there have something to be ashamed of?
  • Options
    As per @BluestBlue they are probably “lefties” and provoked it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

decision to take a cautious approach for last month has clearly now been vindicated.

Surely completely the reverse Malcolm. What it shows is that contrary to Nicola's claims the R rate in Scotland was much lower than in England and we should have been opening up much faster. These figures make the Scottish government's position on schools and shops look even more absurd than it will on Monday.
    David , pointless opening schools now , holidays are in 2 weeks. They should be thinking how to get economy going , hear lots of people getting told jobs are gone.
    Neighbour volunteered to go , his lot were doing 350 and younger fellow other side , GE are looking at 400 at airport. Surely be a lot not going back to work.
    We face an economic catastrophe. Bleak times. Social unrest is coming I fear.

Was shutting down the entire economy rather than just isolating the vulnerable the worst peace time policy decision in a very very long time?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,841
    Andy_JS said:
    Lets do a study on masks. What countries shall we look at? All of them? The biggest? The most reliable numbers? A group of similar countries?

No lets choose, Austria, Czechia, Japan, India, NZ, China - that will be sufficient and representative.......
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scottish schools should have been open a fortnight ago. Scottish shops, pubs, restaurants etc should be opened now. Every day we wait after Monday more Scottish businesses will fail and more Scottish jobs will be lost. The message "Stay at home" is exactly the wrong message now. It should be get out there and spend!
    Her excessive caution arising from a bureaucratic mindset is going to cost Scotland very dear.
    You were saying that when we supposedly had R above unity. Doing that would have been a disaster.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

Nigelb said:

If you look at the photos of the far right protests in the press you see things you don;t normally see at far right protests.

Yes there are the usual loudmouth shaven headed tattooed idiots, but there are also decorated veterans and green berets that look like they might be Royal Marines....???

That is because there are a number of separate protests going on at the same time. The veterans had organised a march and protest which was supposed to go to the Cenotaph. When they got there the police then moved them on down to Parliament Square. As always (and just as with the BLM marches) it is not possible to consider them as single events and claim everyone has the same aims or acts in the same way.
    Sounds about right.
    I recommend (the Telegraph’s) Ed Clowes’ twitter feed, which gives a good, and slightly bemused, account of what’s going on.

Not if you are a fan of Iain M. Banks's novels, where it often features as the central theme. As in The Algebraist.
    I think my favourite is probably Excession although both Use of Weapons and Player of Games are outstanding. I love his sci-fi. I find his Iain Banks books a bit patchier but The Crow Road and The Business were good.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    MikeL said:

Total UK:

Positive tests 1,425
    Deaths 181

Positive tests number so so I would say - lower than same day last week (1,557) but above yesterday's 7 day rolling average (1,326).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-cases-and-deaths

R still less than 1 so cases are still reducing.
    London is flirting with 1.
    This is based on data up to last Monday.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    A technical question if anyone can help please?

Apparently Channel 4 showed the 1966 World Cup Final recently and it is still available to stream (but doesn't seem available to download) via All 4.

A friend has asked me for technical advice. She'd like to show this on Father's Day at a Care Home she works at. It will be much appreciated by the men there I think and she's trying to make it as special a Father's Day as she can considering visitors still aren't permitted. The TV they have isn't a smart TV and there's no WiFi signal at that part of the Home. Normally when they play videos that have been downloaded it's via putting a video onto a USB stick then plugging that USB stick into the TV.

Is there any way to make this work? If anyone has any ideas to help I'd much appreciate it if anyone could please message me with ideas that could work as I'm stumped.

Apologies if this is an inappropriate question to put here but there's many smart people here and I'm hoping someone has a solution I haven't thought through.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

Shameful that I should be a fellow traveller with people who think black people should be treated as well as white people are in this country. Shameful that I should be a fellow traveller with such people. I’m sure you’re proud to be associated with these people who are bravely attacking cops...for a reason you can’t even articulate.
    Do you have some sort of memory issue? Over 60 police officers have been injured in clashes with your leftwing protesters, remember? The same protesters who have illegally destroyed one monument and defaced others up and down the country?
    The difference between us is that I want all criminal behaviour to be punished, whereas you seek to excuse and minimize it when you approve of the political motive behind it.

You live in some fantasy world of moral purity no matter what the facts are. The police officer who was knocked off her horse is still in hospital - why don't you ask her if the people who put her there have something to be ashamed of?
    No. On the one hand you say you are even handed but on the other you excuse the crimes of right wing protesters as being in some way provoked. You are not even handed. Not at all. Right wing violence is, according to your own posts, excusable thus - “The left has spent the last couple of weeks telling the world that you can do whatever vandalism and rioting you like...”. You posted that less than an hour ago.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

isam said:

Nigelb said:

Sounds about right.

Not if you are a fan of Iain M. Banks's novels, where it often features as the central theme. As in The Algebraist.
    I think my favourite is probably Excession although both Use of Weapons and Player of Games are outstanding. I love his sci-fi. I find his Iain Banks books a bit patchier but The Crow Road and The Business were good.
    Nice to hear your opinions. I did like the Bridge though.

Have a good weekend anyway if it's not too dreich - off now for some hobby stuff and dinner.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237

Sandpit said:

Kind of on topic for the day's events but more because it is just a fascinating story.

The history behind one of the few exchanges of fire in anger on British soil in WW2.

https://theconversation.com/black-troops-were-welcome-in-britain-but-jim-crow-wasnt-the-race-riot-of-one-night-in-june-1943-98120

A story I hadn't read previously, and more proof of the very different attitudes to race in British and American societies - something which persists to this day. Thanks for posting.
    I went looking because my Mum yesterday was telling me about life in London in later WW2. She said that when large numbers of US troops started arriving the British government were handing out leaflets to the US troops with guidance on the way things are done in Britain. These included a comment along the lines of 'We are not racists. A black man has as much right to drink in a British Pub as a white man'.

I am sure that was not the wording or even close. But that was the basic message being given.
    My great Aunt was reminiscing about Manchester in WW2 last Christmas. Apparently the locals found the racism of US troops stationed in the area shocking. Black GIs being made to walk in the gutter next to the pavement etc.

One story involved a bust-up between Black and White yanks over a British girl at a dance-hall. Apparently the girl was having none of it, and went for the Black gentleman in question.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336

Apparently Channel 4 showed the 1966 World Cup Final recently and it is still available to stream (but doesn't seem available to download) via All 4.

A friend has asked me for technical advice. She'd like to show this on Father's Day at a Care Home she works at. It will be much appreciated by the men there I think and she's trying to make it as special a Father's Day as she can considering visitors still aren't permitted. The TV they have isn't a smart TV and there's no WiFi signal at that part of the Home. Normally when they play videos that have been downloaded it's via putting a video onto a USB stick then plugging that USB stick into the TV.

Is there any way to make this work? If anyone has any ideas to help I'd much appreciate it if anyone could please message me with ideas that could work as I'm stumped.

Apologies if this is an inappropriate question to put here but there's many smart people here and I'm hoping someone has a solution I haven't thought through.

Set up a TP link to a connected laptop? Not very expensive or difficult.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

You were saying that when we supposedly had R above unity. Doing that would have been a disaster.

Given the recent numbers it very clearly wasn't. I appreciate we are looking in a 2 week backward facing mirror but she has misjudged this and aggravated a very bad situation as a result of her caution.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

The difference is that those opposed to racism have more right on their side than this lot - and that's something you never seem to acknowledge.
    This 'lot' are just nasty English Nationalists and hard right

They should be called out by every decent member or supporter of the consrvative party

They sicken me
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

A laptop and an appropriate connector to display the laptop screen on the TV?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

isam said:

Nigelb said:

Sounds about right.

Nice to hear your opinions. I did like the Bridge though.

Have a good weekend anyway if it's not too dreich - off now for some hobby stuff and dinner.
    You too.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

Is that how you justified voting for a racist party last year?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

if your feelings are hurt and - surprise, surprise - it seems some people were listening.

Oh but you do. You very much do. You have tried to excuse the actions of the right as being because, and I quote, “The left has spent the last couple of weeks telling the world that you can do whatever vandalism and rioting you like...” so, risibly, you blame right wing violence against the police on left wing violence. That’s an excuse. A pretty pathetic “they started it” excuse at that.

Also, you say, “any crimes” as opposed to “the crimes” below a video of someone kicking a policeman, suggesting there is doubt. That’s an attempt at minimisation or, indeed, denial.
    It's hardly any more pathetic than your excuse that the illegal destruction of a statue is not a crime because the statue hurt the protesters' feelings and it was no big deal anyway.

Do you still maintain that ridiculous excuse?

You also sought to minimize the official figure of 62 officers injured by leftwing protesters, remember?

Do you still deny the official figures?

You also don't seem to understand basic English. For the avoidance of doubt, 'any crimes' means 'any and all', i.e. 100% of the crimes committed should be punished. I don't know how much more simply I can put it so that you don't deliberately fail to understand.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

It's hardly any more pathetic than your excuse that the illegal destruction of a statue is not a crime because the statue hurt the protesters' feelings and it was no big deal anyway.

You also sought to minimize the official figure of 62 officers injured by leftwing protesters, remember?

You also don't seem to understand basic English. For the avoidance of doubt, 'any crimes' means 'any and all', i.e. 100% of the crimes committed should be punished. I don't know how much more simply I can put it so that you don't deliberately fail to understand.
    White Crimes Matter!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    It turns out Sadiq Khan was absolutely right to board up the Churchill statue and others. A smart move that ensured they were protected from the actions of pissed-up, drugged-up, far-right thugs.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

Strange that I don't recall you making this running commentary whilst Antifa thugs were injuring 60 police officers and committing criminal damage last week in a 'largely peaceful' demonstration.

These thugs attacking police is sickening and they should be hunted down and prosecuted. But your hypocrisy is pretty sickening as well.
    No kidding. DougSeal is pretty blind to his colossal hypocrisy.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Was shutting down the entire economy rather than just isolating the vulnerable the worst peace time policy decision in a very very long time?
    No. We faced a calamity with the NHS completely swamped and mass unnecessary deaths as in northern Italy. Had we not had a lockdown that would have happened in multiple parts of the UK but London in particular. At the time there was no choice but we need out of here as soon as those safeguards are in place.
  • Options

It turns out Sadiq Khan was absolutely right to board up the Churchill statue and others. A smart move that ensured they were protected from the actions of pissed-up, drugged-up, far-right thugs.

You may want to qualify that as Sky have just reported that genuine elements stood on guard at Churchill's statue including ex military who do not accept Churchill's statue should be a target

Sometimes balance does need to be applied
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Some of them might have wanted to shag it, or at least sit on his face.

https://twitter.com/MediocreDave/status/1271808980063522820?s=20
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,700
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

Set up a TP link to a connected laptop? Not very expensive or difficult.
    It is on Youtube in full, so you could cast to a TV stick from a PC. Not sure about the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh0F6nX8G8c
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It was quite amusing on the afternoon news.

The newscaster gave an apocalyptic intro and handed over to the lady at the Cenotaph

“We don’t know what’s going on. It’s all peaceful here, there are just some veterans around who say they want to protect the Cenotaph”
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

You may recall how very recently the PBTories were proclaiming that R was above unity in Scotland. It's only very recently that this low figure has appeared - in the last day or two. I would argue on the contrary that it's well worth lovking down a bit longer to suppress the virus completely in many areas - and close the borders to all but essential travel. What is being done down south is simply to allow the virus to flare up again with appalling consequences.
    Unfortunately, we’re back to business as usual. The truce is over. All Covid19 “suggestions”, “advice” etc must be seen in that context.

Holyrood won.
    Westminster lost.

Therefore, SNP = BAD.

Only another eleven months to go...
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited June 2020

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Self-isolation for the elderly and medically vulnerable, the prohibition of mass gatherings and measures to keep Covid patients segregated in health and care settings (heavy biosecurity for care homes and separate plague hospitals) would probably have produced much better results than the haphazard policies that were actually implemented, but we are where we are.

The UK and devolved Governments both have the same problem now: they're shit scared of doing anything to trigger the dreaded second wave so they're dithering over the maintenance or relaxation of the arbitrary two metre rule, whilst repealing other restrictions at a glacial pace and not learning from what's happening elsewhere. Italy opened bars, restaurants and hairdressers a month ago (and using a 1.5m distancing rule at that) and yet we hear nothing of a significant second outbreak from that quarter: the wretched disease hasn't gone away but it's not massacring the populace either.

The loss of jobs through all of this will, of course, be enormous in any event but it might be an idea to try to give at least some leisure and hospitality businesses a fighting chance of survival: it bears repeating, because everybody seems to have forgotten this, that poverty has negative health consequences too. Even if pubs and gyms are problematic and theatres and spectator sports have probably had their chips, we can surely have a stab at rescuing hair and beauty, restaurants, hotels and museums from the scrapheap?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411
    DougSeal said:

But who will think of the STATUES in all this? That’s the question on everyone’s lips.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1271838917034213384

Protesting against Counters too?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Surely Keisha Lance Bottoms is ruled out on the grounds that Biden Bottoms would be a ridiculous ticket name.

Is Joe-Kei any better?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Too bad he didn't think to do it last weekend when it was defaced by far-left scum.
  • Options

You may want to qualify that as Sky have just reported that genuine elements stood on guard at Churchill's statue including ex military who do not accept Churchill's statue should be a target

Nothing to qualify, Mr G. I am sure not everyone would have been inclined to do any damage, but when the far-right is on the prowl it’s best to protect symbols of all that they loathe.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    DougSeal said:

EPG said:

DougSeal said:
    Just to note, it's OK to make fun of the appearance of the white working-class (while criticising a right-wing demo), but probably not OK to make fun of the appearance of other racial-class groups (e.g. while criticising recent left-wing demos). So it's easy to see how narratives of WWC alienation are justified.
    It’s fine to make fun of fascists. I’m old fashioned that way.
    It's "making fun of fascists" by insinuating that they wear the clothes of low-income white people. So the insult to fascists is to say "you're worse than fascists, you're WWC". Have a think about this and come back.
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    Surprised at the 8% lead

Not surprised re Boris
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53035054

Coronavirus: Racism 'could play a part in BAME Covid deaths'
  • Options
    RobD said:

A Laptop would work for streaming but there's no WiFi connection and no method of downloading that I can see from the All4 website. That's the issue. Need an offline solution.
  • Options

Nothing to qualify, Mr G. I am sure not everyone would have been inclined to do any damage, but when the far-right is on the prowl it’s best to protect symbols of all that they loathe.

Why did the far left deface the Churchill statue last week then? It couldn't be because he's a 'symbol of all they loathe', could it?
  • Options

We are at one condemning the far right
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    BLM appear to have played a blinder by calling off their march today. The defining images of these events will be of them pulling down an old statute of a slave trader and the far-right bovver boys attacking the good old British bobby. I suspect most will regard the latter as the less commendable look.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    CatMan said:
    Tory vote holding steady compared to the GE.
  • Options

There is no difference between the far left and the far right.

Two vile cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options

Kudos to any behavioural scientist who predicted Lockdown would fall apart after 10 weeks.

Nah its all Big Doms fault....or something like that.

We will ignore the media amplify the nonsense message that racism is currently a more dangerous virus than covid, which is far more harmful public health message to BAME communities than if Big Dom went for a whizz on the M1.
    I’ve seen more people wearing masks than before
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Too bad he didn't think to do it last weekend when it was defaced by far-left scum.

Why did the far left deface the Churchill statue last week then? It couldn't be because he's a 'symbol of all they loathe', could it?
    Because they are total scum.

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

Nazi is short for National Socialists.
  • Options

BLM appear to have played a blinder by calling off their march today. The defining images of these events will be of them pulling down an old statute of a slave trader and the far-right bovver boys attacking the good old British bobby. I suspect most will regard the latter as the less commendable look.

Oh, I don't know - I suspect this defining image of Churchill defaced by leftwing protesters may linger in the public mind for a while:

https://twitter.com/rmunro3/status/1269730926642126849
  • Options
    edited June 2020

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

Strange that I don't recall you making this running commentary whilst Antifa thugs were injuring 60 police officers and committing criminal damage last week in a 'largely peaceful' demonstration.

These thugs attacking police is sickening and they should be hunted down and prosecuted. But your hypocrisy is pretty sickening as well.
    “Antifa” doesn’t exist as an organisation, and even if it did, what’s the problem with being Anti-Fascist? Last week saw demonstrations for and on behalf of Black Lives Matter - an organisation whose core aims I unapologetically support - which (as is the way of these demonstrations sadly eg poll tax, university tuition, anti-globalisation) had unwanted elements that caused trouble. The fundamental difference is that these people today had no corresponding cause that anyone can articulate. All of them, to a man, came for trouble, to “defend” monuments they alleged, which is clearly an expectation of violence, and when no monuments were troubled , disappointed, they attacked. While I accept that plenty on the BLM Marches went on them for purely for trouble, a significant number, the majority, did not. That’s the difference. There was no underlying cause for anyone to be there today. Coulson was unlawfully pulled down because he was a slave trader to make a, perhaps misguided, point. The memorial to the policeman outside Parliament was urinated upon, exactly why? Because the bloke who did so went went to get pissed and fight. There is no moral equivalence, none.

You are 100% correct I did not run a commentary last week but there were plenty that did. Those that did such sterling service are not, for some strange reason, running a commentary this week, so I decided to step into the breach. Perhaps we are all hypocrites.

And, as an aside, while only one injury is one too many, that notorious leftist bastion, the Express, puts the figure of injured police at 35, not 60 - https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1292955/black-lives-matter-london-protests-uk-met-police-officers-injured-latest-george-floyd - and there has also been a sustained disinformation campaign about the level of violence - https://fullfact.org/online/blm-protest-london-pictures/ that has gained a lot of traction, which has not helped the poisonous atmosphere.
  • Options

On that I do agree
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Yep, hindsight is a marvellous thing. At least he learned his lesson.

• Options
    edited June 2020

Despite the fact that - ironically - BLM also attacked many British bobbies and the far right have also been desecrating statues.

Moreover, did anyone else think they looked pretty well identical?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    On topic - I wonder if her surname would be a positive. I suspect quite a number of voters remember Gus ( no relation).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408

SPOILER England won
    Thankfully there was no VAR
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,841

RobD said:

A Laptop would work for streaming but there's no WiFi connection and no method of downloading that I can see from the All4 website. That's the issue. Need an offline solution.
    Have they got a dvd player or can they borrow one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1966-World-Cup-Final-DVD/dp/B000063KLS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PP55RZ3QHTUM&dchild=1&keywords=1966+world+cup+final+dvd&qid=1592069265&s=dvd&sprefix=1966+,dvd,151&sr=1-1
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Nazi is short for National Socialists.
    Indeed. The so-called far right have nothing in common with the right. They are keen on socialism and a big state when it suits them, it's a total misnomer and truism fallacy to define racist as right then claim all racists are right wing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Kind of on topic for the day's events but more because it is just a fascinating story.

The history behind one of the few exchanges of fire in anger on British soil in WW2.

https://theconversation.com/black-troops-were-welcome-in-britain-but-jim-crow-wasnt-the-race-riot-of-one-night-in-june-1943-98120

Loved the publicans' response to a colour bar was "Black Troops Only"!

The US Army prepared a film for GIs coming to Britain - in one scene an elderly lady invites a black soldier (first) and the white narrator to tea - the narrator explaining that thats how things get done in Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVtnCzg9xw
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

And she expects England to pay.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Floater said:

Kudos to any behavioural scientist who predicted Lockdown would fall apart after 10 weeks.

Lockdown ended weeks ago - what we still have is a partial economic shutdown.
    I'm told NOT to expect to be in office this YEAR
    My firm’s thinking October.
    Voluntary from mid July but only 25% capacity at 2m
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:
    Tory vote holding steady compared to the GE.
    Keir making steady progress.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    In more “Starmer will be punished for supporting BLM” news-

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1271852621394063371
  • Options
    edited June 2020

BLM are a far-left group who want to abolish the police and abolish capitalism. Just because they use this name shouldn't give them a free pass. If a far right-wing group decided to call itself something like "Save The Planet" it wouldn't excuse their policies just because they chose a name that expressed an idea no-one could disagree with.
  • Options

Again, a TP link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=TP+link&qid=1592069636&sr=8-3

They are incredible useful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited June 2020
    There is also big spikes on a load of other US cities, mostly west coast, Portland, Seattle, LA, San Francisco. Interestingly no new spike in NYC.

Its like you hit 20% getting it and dies away.
  • Options
    Has this guy just had his throat slashed into front of the police?

https://twitter.com/GuyReuters/status/1271814966413348864?s=19
  • Options
    Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Surely Keisha Lance Bottoms is ruled out on the grounds that Biden Bottoms would be a ridiculous ticket name.

Is Joe-Kei any better?
    Wasn’t she Superman’s mum?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

No. We faced a calamity with the NHS completely swamped and mass unnecessary deaths as in northern Italy. Had we not had a lockdown that would have happened in multiple parts of the UK but London in particular. At the time there was no choice but we need out of here as soon as those safeguards are in place.
    Why do so many people forget this?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322

Oh, I don't know - I suspect this defining image of Churchill defaced by leftwing protesters may linger in the public mind for a while:

That can be dismissed as the handiwork of a solitary vandal with a spray can. In fact, if everyone present had turned on the statue there would be nothing left of it, so it could be seen as a kind of vindication.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    edited June 2020
    On 1966. Buy the DVD. It is £5.

On today, sad to see some right wing PB posters engage in whataboutery rather than do the right thing.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086

RobD said:

You could tether from a phone?
  • Options
    isam said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

White Crimes Matter!
    White Lies Matter too.
    (I will leave you to decide if that is a Graham Rawle-esque Lost Consonant)
  • Options

Has this guy just had his throat slashed into front of the police?

https://twitter.com/GuyReuters/status/1271814966413348864?s=19

No, you hysterical numpty.
  • Options

RobD said:

Livestream it at home and record it with your phone 😐
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Because it’s counterfactual. People don’t see the thousands of deaths prevented, because by definition they didn’t happen, but they see the economic damage and have to deal with that.

That’s one of the reasons why I said the government was going to get it whatever the outcome if there was a lockdown.

Quite impressively, they’ve managed to have both.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

Actually Mike that’s bullshit

If you break the law you break the law. You are not “more right”. It’s binary.
    The purpose comes into it.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

We shouldn’t forget it - and the government clearly succeeded in avoiding such a fate in the UK, and indeed bust a gut to provide extra capacity (such as the Excel centre) that in the event wasn’t needed.

Unfortunately the price was that the government doesn’t appeared to have paid sufficient attention to a wider range of considerations, some of which have come back to punish us with one of the worst death rates in the world.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Livestream it at home and record it with your phone 😐
    Or, livestream it on a computer at home and record it on a screen capture.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    MaxPB said:

It's amazing how so many are rightly condemning today's violence, yet couldn't bring themselves to do the same last week. Anyone who says today's thugs and arseholes should be locked up while maintaining last week's thugs and arseholes shouldn't is a massive hypocrite.

OGH thinks it's ok because the latter have right on their side.

No wonder he used to work for the BBC.
  • Options

There is also big spikes on a load of other US cities, mostly west coast, Portland, Seattle, LA, San Francisco. Interestingly no new spike in NYC.

Its like you hit 20% getting it and dies away.
    That NYC now has one of the lowest new infection case rates in the US is very hard to explain if, as some studies suggest, only a small minority of the population now has immunity or resistance.
  • Options

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

What if one disagrees that any 'purpose' can justify violence, and that criminal violence should be punished equally, whether it's committed by the far left, far right, or anything in between?

I would hope that that was still a permissible opinion. It's nothing more or less than the rule of law.
  • Options

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

But are we sure they’re opposed to racism? Yes, they’re opposed to racism against black people. Good, so am I. So are all decent people.

But how many voted for Labour led by Jeremy Corbyn? In which case, on the admission of the former general secretary they’re condoning racism against Jews.

Sultana and Shah are unabashed supporters of an organisation that supports genocide, FFS.
  • Options

That can be dismissed as the handiwork of a solitary vandal with a spray can. In fact, if everyone present had turned on the statue there would be nothing left of it, so it could be seen as a kind of vindication.
    That was clearly the work of one person. When a movement really wants to desecrate that very same statue the below is the result.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Aged like milk.

If you think it is binary, then you think that someone possesing canabis is the same as Fred West.
  • Options

I think I'll be taking a break from the site tonight.

The events of this weekend were entirely predictable. The comments on here by certain posters also so.

The far-left and far-right both want the same thing: a culture war.

Each is secretly delighted the other is giving it to them, as they hope to use it to broaden their bases of support around their respective polarities.

Don't play their game. It's hard work arguing for nuance and moderation, but it's the right thing to do.

Who started the culture war?
  • Options

The events of this weekend were entirely predictable. The comments on here by certain posters also so.

Each is secretly delighted the other is giving it to them, as they hope to use it to broaden their bases of support around their respective polarities.

Don't play their game. It's hard work arguing for nuance and moderation, but it's the right thing to do.

I think we have to hope for a summer wash out, otherwise i can see this becoming a weekly thing.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rush Limbaugh and the US Republican Party
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A Lab in Wuhan!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

I think we have to hope for a summer wash out, otherwise i can see this becoming a weekly thing.
    Everyone is assuming it will stop.

There is no guarantee it will stop.
This discussion has been closed.