Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As CON MPs get increasingly concerned about Boris the 3/2 that

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Videos from around March 12th by Halpern, Vallance and Harries looked to have aged appallingly.
    The most deadly groupthink in years.

No one seems to have asked them the most basic questions, such as:

1) what are the points of greatest uncertainty in your analysis?
    2) what if you're wrong about any/all of those?
    3) why do you think everyone else is following a different approach?

This was a brand new disease, poorly understood (it still is) and they seem to have proceeded with blithe certainty about everything.
    almost as if putting science correspondents on the daily briefings may have actually been a wiser move.
    This was a job for the politicians to undertake. They didn't.

And of course, Boris Johnson didn't even turn up for the meetings to quiz them.
    Except of course if its true as we discussed yesterday that if the SAGE scientists wanted to continue to continue down the Swedish route at least a week more and if its true that questioning from Cummings saw them change to lockdown, then Cumming and the governments questioning probably saved 50,000 lives from being lost. We'd probably be at over a hundred thousand dead now otherwise.
    I have no interest in ever engaging with you. Please desist.
    No thanks.

Its a public forum. If you have no interest in having your views challenged then you can either ignore viewpoints that differ to yours, or talk to a mirror.

When you're ready to apologise for swearing earlier you can. I'm being the bigger person despite your swearing at me.
    I have no interest in engaging with a simpering cretin who is callous to the risks of pain and suffering that his prejudice leads to. So, and in full awareness of Mike's warning earlier, fuck off.

If I am banned as a consequence, so be it. I won't be a moral vacuum, which is what you evidently are.
    Off Topic

There seems to have been something resembling bullying by some posters in response, especially to Alistair's views on Brexit. Unparliamentary language aside I for one can understand Alistair's frustration.

My late father was a North Midlands RFU referee decades ago. His view after a player had thrown a punch was what provoked the punch in the first place.

If people are to be shown red cards for their reaction, perhaps a review of what provoked that reaction could be looked at too.

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of certain actions, are perhaps sometimes written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint. Sometimes they do touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so.

PB is a wonderful resource. Many posters from all political persuasions can inspire and impress. It is not so inspirational or impressive when it is used by some posters as an alternative to ConHome or Labourlist.
    A transparent attempt to win the war by lofty generalisation after a week of bruising defeat in each and every individual battle. Nobody has claimed that black lives matter more or less than other lives, not by so much as .001%. They certainly matter more to the average PBer than to that appalling POS George Floyd, because I don't suppose any of us have ever pointed a loaded weapon at a black woman (unless you have something to share?) It's not as if anyone is advocating a change of government policy to a "black lives matter about 30% as much as other sorts" approach, or that we should be complacent about an epidemic of killings of black people by white policemen that disfigures UK society.

And I don't think anyone - and I mean anyone - disputes the incomprehensible evil of the European Atlantic slave trade. You may have misunderstood some crucial parts of the argument.

tldr: why don'y you move to Minnesota?
    Not really.

I have no particular axe to grind as regards racism. I do believe how American policemen sometimes behave is wrong. George Floyd probably wouldn't be my poster boy. I think the Sandra Bland case is far sadder.

As you have implied I am not particularly bright so I have clearly misunderstood the cut and thrust of the arguments. My mistake.
    Ooh, passive aggression.

Point us to one of these "dreadful posts" about slavery and perhaps we can explain where you are going wrong.
    You don't know me, I don't know you. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?
    Because he is a troll that does it to everyone lol. He doesn't really have any formed opinions on anything, he is just competing with @Philip Thompson and @contrarian for the title of Pain in the Arse Contrarian of the Year 2020
    Whereas you're just an obsessed troll.

I answered your questions yesterday on what I believed in and how that was different to Trump and you went deadly silent once again. Do you have any ways in which you think I'm the same as Trump - or are you just so blinded by Brexit you can't see a difference between libertarian values and Trump?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114
    malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Why so many techty people on here today?

People have been tetchy since 2016 or thereabouts.
    No, 2014. The first Indyref

When historians come to chart the Total Decline of the West, it will begin with the Scots narrowly saying Nay

Today we have the Scottish unionist fascists defacing national monuments and trying to blame it on BLM, what a bunch of sleazy no good cowards
    Is that a Würger on your profile pic, malc? You're preparing for the full Blitzkrieg obviously!

There's a nice Fw 190 in the Gatow museum if you ever get to it.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,979

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    He was a king who lived a long time ago. So must be a racist I guess.
    He won the battle of Bannockburn thereby confirming Scotland an independent kingdom

And this was in 1314 and he then took Berwick in 1318

I have no idea why he is described as a racist

That is unionists for you G, nasty pieces of work.
  • Options

RobD said:
    However, no one will do the governments calling due to Cummings according to many on here
    Maybe Cummings wasn't the be all and end all, or the "biggest news story of the 21st century" afterall?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    kinabalu said:

You do wonder how much longer these daily conferences are to continue for

Maybe twice a week is all that is needed, they have become largely tedious

Glad you said that. I think I agree but was wary to say it - not sure why but I was.
    Why would you be wary to say that. You are not normally reticent
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,120
    eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.
    No, it doesn't. You thought it was fine to tear down the statue of Colston with mob violence. Polls do not support that. They say "remove" to a museum.

You also agreed with the tearing down of the statue of Robert Milligan. He was not a slave trader, but a slave owner, which is a significant difference.
    Hmm - surely slave onwers had to trade in slaves to get them in the first place unless by inheritance or breeding? And didn';t they swapsies with other owners to get their slave selection just right?
    Colston's entire fortune was built on shipping slaves across the Atlantic, as I understand it? He drove the hideous business.

That seems very different to someone who bought and sold and owned slaves, which - however horrific - was extremely common before Britain heroically abolished it because we are great; all the early US presidents, and Founding Fathers, owned slaves, probably the vast majority of kings and queens in history owned slaves, all the Roman emperors, bigwigs, all the Greek philosophers, leading thinkers in ISIS, the Prophet Muhammad, and so on.

If "slave owning" is enough to get your statue pulled down, then there will have to be an orgy of toppling
    All the early US presidents didn't own slaves - John Adams, who succeeded George Washington as second president, did not. Not did all the founding fathers (eg Alexander Hamilton) and even Benjamin Franklin, who had owned slaves, became an abolitionist. It was a widespread practice but it was also widely opposed at the time including through the brave resistance of slaves and former slaves.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,679
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.
    No, it doesn't. You thought it was fine to tear down the statue of Colston with mob violence. Polls do not support that. They say "remove" to a museum.

You also agreed with the tearing down of the statue of Robert Milligan. He was not a slave trader, but a slave owner, which is a significant difference.
    Hmm - surely slave onwers had to trade in slaves to get them in the first place unless by inheritance or breeding? And didn';t they swapsies with other owners to get their slave selection just right?
    Colston's entire fortune was built on shipping slaves across the Atlantic, as I understand it?
    No.

Slave trading was "part" of his business (as were many merchants of the day) - how much is not known, but since he traded in lots of other areas as well, its extremely unlikely it was "all":

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bristolrecordsociety/publications/bha096.pdf

He died without children - because he never married. What's the oldest reason in the world for men not marrying?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    He was admittedly hard on the English invaders and IIRC his brother invaded Ireland (like rather a lot of kings of Scotland and England). But the relevance to BLM is uncertain. I don't think he ever went on Crusade either (though I am sure he would have liked to go, like rather a lot of kings ditto ditto). His heart did reputedly go separately, but that was postmortem (and may be a myth anyway as it has purportedly been found at Melrose Abbey).
    His heart was taken by 3 knights, 2 of which were family retainers of the L persuasion. They were supposed to be taking it to Jerusalem and got as far as Spain (sense of direction not being a family strong point) before coming back.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Videos from around March 12th by Halpern, Vallance and Harries looked to have aged appallingly.
    The most deadly groupthink in years.

No one seems to have asked them the most basic questions, such as:

1) what are the points of greatest uncertainty in your analysis?
    2) what if you're wrong about any/all of those?
    3) why do you think everyone else is following a different approach?

This was a brand new disease, poorly understood (it still is) and they seem to have proceeded with blithe certainty about everything.
    almost as if putting science correspondents on the daily briefings may have actually been a wiser move.
    This was a job for the politicians to undertake. They didn't.

And of course, Boris Johnson didn't even turn up for the meetings to quiz them.
    Except of course if its true as we discussed yesterday that if the SAGE scientists wanted to continue to continue down the Swedish route at least a week more and if its true that questioning from Cummings saw them change to lockdown, then Cumming and the governments questioning probably saved 50,000 lives from being lost. We'd probably be at over a hundred thousand dead now otherwise.
    I have no interest in ever engaging with you. Please desist.
    No thanks.

Its a public forum. If you have no interest in having your views challenged then you can either ignore viewpoints that differ to yours, or talk to a mirror.

When you're ready to apologise for swearing earlier you can. I'm being the bigger person despite your swearing at me.
    I have no interest in engaging with a simpering cretin who is callous to the risks of pain and suffering that his prejudice leads to. So, and in full awareness of Mike's warning earlier, fuck off.

If I am banned as a consequence, so be it. I won't be a moral vacuum, which is what you evidently are.
    Off Topic

There seems to have been something resembling bullying by some posters in response, especially to Alistair's views on Brexit. Unparliamentary language aside I for one can understand Alistair's frustration.

My late father was a North Midlands RFU referee decades ago. His view after a player had thrown a punch was what provoked the punch in the first place.

If people are to be shown red cards for their reaction, perhaps a review of what provoked that reaction could be looked at too.

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of certain actions, are perhaps sometimes written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint. Sometimes they do touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so.

PB is a wonderful resource. Many posters from all political persuasions can inspire and impress. It is not so inspirational or impressive when it is used by some posters as an alternative to ConHome or Labourlist.
    A transparent attempt to win the war by lofty generalisation after a week of bruising defeat in each and every individual battle. Nobody has claimed that black lives matter more or less than other lives, not by so much as .001%. They certainly matter more to the average PBer than to that appalling POS George Floyd, because I don't suppose any of us have ever pointed a loaded weapon at a black woman (unless you have something to share?) It's not as if anyone is advocating a change of government policy to a "black lives matter about 30% as much as other sorts" approach, or that we should be complacent about an epidemic of killings of black people by white policemen that disfigures UK society.

And I don't think anyone - and I mean anyone - disputes the incomprehensible evil of the European Atlantic slave trade. You may have misunderstood some crucial parts of the argument.

tldr: why don'y you move to Minnesota?
    Not really.

I have no particular axe to grind as regards racism. I do believe how American policemen sometimes behave is wrong. George Floyd probably wouldn't be my poster boy. I think the Sandra Bland case is far sadder.

As you have implied I am not particularly bright so I have clearly misunderstood the cut and thrust of the arguments. My mistake.
    Ooh, passive aggression.

Point us to one of these "dreadful posts" about slavery and perhaps we can explain where you are going wrong.
    You don't know me, I don't know you. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?
    Because he is a troll that does it to everyone lol. He doesn't really have any formed opinions on anything, he is just competing with @Philip Thompson and @contrarian for the title of Pain in the Arse Contrarian of the Year 2020
    The arsehole of arseholes calling someone a troll, you could not make it up.
    Only an arsehole to you old chap (well maybe Philip Thompson also perhaps). You should feel flattered. My rudeness to you reflects your yobbish rudeness to everyone else. You clearly live in such an insulated echo-chamber (as is so beloved of nationalists of all stripes) that you don't understand what a troll is. How is the anger management going?
  • Options

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Temporarily boarding up the Cenotaph and Churchill monument is a sensible move from Khan to prevent an expensive repair bill. I personally abhore any criminal damage of property. I am not sure how criminal damage reflects on the Labour Party, particularly as most sensible key Labour politicians, having condemned racism have also condemned the way the Colston statue, for example, was removed.

BoZo is getting his share of the blame

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1271417762498457600
    That could just be the tipping point for The Democratic Football Lads Alliance.

Tice is playing with fire.
    Er, I think it's the protestors who've been playing with fire as they are the ones attacking the Churchill statue, defacing it, and trying to get murals of Churchill pulled down.

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1271091977518546949?s=20

Or calling Churchill a c*nt

https://twitter.com/s711art/status/1271155615126167552?s=20
    Trying to think where that is. Is it on the City Churches?
    In Dundee C*nt is more or less a term of endearment.
    It can be used as either an insult or an endearment for sure.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    He won the battle of Bannockburn thereby confirming Scotland an independent kingdom

He won independence Malc. You are confusing me
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,645
    "Penny Lane signs defaced in Liverpool over slavery claims"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-52992669
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Robert Bruce was a hard bastard, but you had to be, if you wanted to survive, in that time and place.

And, in my view, there was a lot to admire about the man. He was a brilliant general, who fought hard to defend his country. I've no idea why anyone would wish to deface his statue.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

Glad you said that. I think I agree but was wary to say it - not sure why but I was.
    It just feels a bit "off". Like the government is making this special effort to talk to us every day for an hour at 5 pm and we're not being grateful if we don't at least pretend we're still interested.

Perhaps I'm too sensitive sometimes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

When historians come to chart the Total Decline of the West, it will begin with the Scots narrowly saying Nay

Today we have the Scottish unionist fascists defacing national monuments and trying to blame it on BLM, what a bunch of sleazy no good cowards
    A nationalist calls unionists fascists! haha. Once again you should look up the allegiances of the SNP during the 1930s. You really don't know much about history do you Mr. Angry?
  • Options

RobD said:
    However, no one will do the governments calling due to Cummings according to many on here
    Maybe Cummings wasn't the be all and end all, or the "biggest news story of the 21st century" afterall?
    I have been thinking about Cummings and I would compare his story to a very funny joke

Everyone is in stitches on the first telling, and maybe a couple more, but as time goes on it becomes less funny and even boring and replaced by another very funny joke
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,354

eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

Colston's entire fortune was built on shipping slaves across the Atlantic, as I understand it?
    No.

Slave trading was "part" of his business (as were many merchants of the day) - how much is not known, but since he traded in lots of other areas as well, its extremely unlikely it was "all":

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/bristolrecordsociety/publications/bha096.pdf

He died without children - because he never married. What's the oldest reason in the world for men not marrying?
    Looking after elderly parents,??
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Temporarily boarding up the Cenotaph and Churchill monument is a sensible move from Khan to prevent an expensive repair bill. I personally abhore any criminal damage of property. I am not sure how criminal damage reflects on the Labour Party, particularly as most sensible key Labour politicians, having condemned racism have also condemned the way the Colston statue, for example, was removed.

Er, I think it's the protestors who've been playing with fire as they are the ones attacking the Churchill statue, defacing it, and trying to get murals of Churchill pulled down.

Don't think I have ever used it as an endearment. And probably not as an adult as an insult either.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,120
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Sometimes both at once, aka Schroedinger's c*nt.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Don't think I have ever used it as an endearment. And probably not as an adult as an insult either.
    Heard it in court no doubt!!
  • Options

RobD said:
    Nope, Boris Johnson has plenty more mismanagement to come that will easily eclipse that one.
    ..and on that note, it is time to bid you all good night, as it is Friday and it is almost beer o'clock, so I wont have time to read Malcolmg's inarticulate rant at my previous post, which is a shame, because I do find him very amusing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

It just feels a bit "off". Like the government is making this special effort to talk to us every day for an hour at 5 pm and we're not being grateful if we don't at least pretend we're still interested.

That is quite sweet if I may say without sounding patronising
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

In Glasgow if someone calls you a good c*nt, you really have made it.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Again, a REALLY unpopular target

Some clever people are undermining BLM
    False Flag! Reichstag on fire!

But clever?

Think I'd more go with malicious.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Shapps: No update on travel corridors until 29 June.

One does wonder why Walsh/IAG aren't suing Ireland or Spain over identical travel restrictions to the UK ....or slashing the work force at Aer Lingus / Iberia.
    They are already paying the staff half of what BA get , I would bet.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

It actually does make you wonder and if it became widespread could cause real division
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,778
    kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

But clever?

Bruce - logically could be

1) local neds* having a laugh, zero political content
    2) Someone with a seriously confused understanding of histdory
    3) first order false flag by rightw-ingers
    4) Second order ditto by some other persuasion

* Anglice: chavs.

Ergo - wait and see who gets the Polis Scotland free ride in a patrol car.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's face it calling a Glaswegian anything else is an improvement in their status.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

yes and all cowardly unionists can do is spray paint and try to blame BLM.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

That is quite sweet if I may say without sounding patronising
    :smile: - I blush and look away.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

More woad than woke?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,268
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

If I wanted to make Black Lives Matter look terrible, I would deface Churchill, Fawlty Towers and the Beatles: three utterly beloved symbols of Britishness

And if I was in Scotland I'd go for Robert the Bruce

Bingo

Do you approve of this tactic, disapprove, or have only a detached appreciation for the competence of the execution?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Source for your claim Malc
  • Options
    edited June 2020

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Is that a Würger on your profile pic, malc? You're preparing for the full Blitzkrieg obviously!

There's a nice Fw 190 in the Gatow museum if you ever get to it.

It is TUD, those look like nice planes , if we ever get virus done and dusted I will definitely go to Gatow.
    PS: nice ME163 in background
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

More woad than woke?
    I wonder if they got him mixed up with William Wallace, in whose name a statue of controversial actor Mel Gibson was erected.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited June 2020

eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

No.

Business was a much smaller and less specialised world in those days and I doubt it was possible to be a big ass Bristol merchant without having substantial slaving interests. Colston wasn't a lone actor, he was on the board of a slaving company founded by the future James II. Ironically Colston is in the limelight because he was less of a shit than 99% of slave traders and devoted his profits to philanthropy rather than banking them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    eadric said:

If I wanted to make Black Lives Matter look terrible, I would deface Churchill, Fawlty Towers and the Beatles: three utterly beloved symbols of Britishness

Bingo

Yes but the ironic thing is for the woke left, white Scottish nationalism is as bad as Brexit and British nationalism
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

Yes but the ironic thing is for the woke left, white Scottish nationalism is as bad as Brexit and British nationalism
    Yet why do the Scottish Greens support indy? As did the Scottish Socialists of yore? And quite a few woke-y types have gone into the SNP. I really think you need to reconsider that statement.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

More woad than woke?
    I wonder if they got him mixed up with William Wallace, in whose name a statue of controversial actor Mel Gibson was erected.
    William Wallace was allegedly 6' 5" which must be at least a foot bigger than Mel. He went to the High School of Dundee. Difficult child.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,268
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

Yet why do the Scottish Greens support indy? As did the Scottish Socialists of yore? And quite a few woke-y types have gone into the SNP. I really think you need to reconsider that statement.
    The non-Labour Left is generally supportive of Scottish Independence on the basis of breaking up the "racist imperialist British state", or just generally being anti-English Tories, so I'm a bit unusual in that respect.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

Overhead conditions are very "close", enough to make the most mild mannered man a bit angsty
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

A nationalist calls unionists fascists! haha. Once again you should look up the allegiances of the SNP during the 1930s. You really don't know much about history do you Mr. Angry?
    Back under your rock cockroach , nobody interested in your puerile crap.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

You got a source it was BLM, I have a brain that works. It is fairly obvious it has absolutely nothing to do with BLM.
  • Options

eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

No.

I doubt any traders made their "entire" fortune on the slave trade. It was called the "triangular trade" for a reason.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

"away ya daft c**t " is usually an endearment as well
  • Options

RobD said:
    Nope, Boris Johnson has plenty more mismanagement to come that will easily eclipse that one.
    ..and on that note, it is time to bid you all good night, as it is Friday and it is almost beer o'clock, so I wont have time to read Malcolmg's inarticulate rant at my previous post, which is a shame, because I do find him very amusing.
    AS if I would lower myself
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

You got a source it was BLM, I have a brain that works. It is fairly obvious it has absolutely nothing to do with BLM.
    That is a reasonable conclusion but let us see who if anyone gets arrested
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

'white Scottish nationalism'? What's all that about then?
  • Options
    NHS good news, my Dads cancer biopsy, planned for March 29th, has been rearranged for July 2nd. The bad news is, having been allowed out for the first time in 3 months, he has to self isolate for the 14 days prior to the event
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

The non-Labour Left is generally supportive of Scottish Independence on the basis of breaking up the "racist imperialist British state", or just generally being anti-English Tories, so I'm a bit unusual in that respect.
    Exactly, the Scottish hard left supports independence to make Scotland a far left, woke state. They have zero time for Wallace and Bruce and Scottish nationalism.

Hence the divisions now coming to the fore on transgender rights etc between the woke Scottish Yes backers and the more traditional Scottish nationalists, the latter particularly loyal to Salmond
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    eadric said:

Mine too.

Good God, just logged on to find @eadric is trying to argue that it's ok to own slaves so long as you don't trade in them!

Good luck with that one pal!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

My guess is it will be chavvy teenage scrotes jumping on the bandwagon.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes not one I use very often either David , but commonly used by some.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    If Sunday trading hours go, they'll never come back.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

'white Scottish nationalism'? What's all that about then?
    Up to his usual expert analysis on Scottish matters
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Change is happening and so much more will as a direct result of covid
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

My guess is it will be chavvy teenage scrotes jumping on the bandwagon.
    More likely the usual mob we see at all gatherings.
  • Options

Enlighten us! I'm only 44 :lol:
  • Options
    He is just repulsive and a disaster for all of us
  • Options

He was gay?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

tlg86 said:

Who wants it though?

Crap for workers, and an unnecessary cost for businesses who'll have to stay open to compete even though Sunday trade is already very slow. People aren't going to buy more stuff - just spread it out.
  • Options
    This thread has had paint sprayed all over it ...
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

tlg86 said:

Who wants it though?

Crap for workers, and an unnecessary cost for businesses who'll have to stay open to compete even though Sunday trade is already very slow. People aren't going to buy more stuff - just spread it out.
    Much the same was said when shops were allowed to open on sundays in the first place
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:
    I’m confused.
    Isn’t Hitchens all insistent on freedom?
    So why is he railing against the freedom to shop on whatever day you like and the freedom to sell things on whatever day you like?

It almost seems as though he believes that people should only be “free” to live the way he approves and to do things of which he approves. And, in fact, those should be compulsory, and if they’re not, it’s an attack on freedom.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

I take Owen Jones as the steer for what my "woke left" side should think and that is to be pretty sympathetic to indy. Yet at the same anti Brexit and any sort of BNP or UKIP type nationalism.

So I'm not sure you have this right.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

Exactly, the Scottish hard left supports independence to make Scotland a far left, woke state. They have zero time for Wallace and Bruce and Scottish nationalism.

Hence the divisions now coming to the fore on transgender rights etc between the woke Scottish Yes backers and the more traditional Scottish nationalists, the latter particularly loyal to Salmond
    Things and people that HYUFD has clung to as destroyers of Scottish Indy, a timeline.

David Cameron
    Better Together
    Indy Scotland being chucked out of the EU
    Ruth Davidson reviving SCon fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Corbyn reviving SLab's fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Theresa May
    Boris Johnson reviving SCon fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Jo Swinson running for Holytood and leading Unionist fightback
    Alex Salmond being found guilty thus discrediting the Indy cause
    Alex Salmond cleared starting SNP civil war
    Starmer reviving SLab's fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Divisions between woke Scottish Yes backers and traditional Scottish nationalists

I'm sure I've missed a few, please feel free anyone who wants to add to this impressive list.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

He was gay?
    Well, I'm not gay!
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I’m confused.
    So why is he railing against the freedom to shop on whatever day you like and the freedom to sell things on whatever day you like?

It almost seems as though he believes that people should only be “free” to live the way he approves and to do things of which he approves. And, in fact, those should be compulsory, and if they’re not, it’s an attack on freedom.

No, HItchens is a social conservative, not a libertarian, even though he opposes lockdown
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,228

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Bingo

Things and people that HYUFD has clung to as destroyers of Scottish Indy, a timeline.

David Cameron
    Better Together
    Indy Scotland being chucked out of the EU
    Ruth Davidson reviving SCon fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Corbyn reviving SLab's fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Theresa May
    Boris Johnson reviving SCon fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Jo Swinson running for Holytood and leading Unionist fightback
    Alex Salmond being found guilty thus discrediting the Indy cause
    Alex Salmond cleared starting SNP civil war
    Starmer reviving SLab's fortunes and leading Unionist fightback
    Divisions between woke Scottish Yes backers and traditional Scottish nationalists

I'm sure I've missed a few, please feel free anyone who wants to add to this impressive list.
    Jim Murphy leading Scottish Labour from a cubby hole in the Palace of Westminster
  • Options
    isam said:

NHS good news, my Dads cancer biopsy, planned for March 29th, has been rearranged for July 2nd. The bad news is, having been allowed out for the first time in 3 months, he has to self isolate for the 14 days prior to the event

AIUI that’s now standard practice for anyone undergoing a procedure under GA (they’ve found very poor outcomes for GA patients who have or get COVID) - but not for outpatients.
  • Options

The old saying in England is after 35 they stop asking if you’re not yet married....
  • Options
    eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

But clever?

Of course there is a strong chance this really is just stupid Antifa bell-ends, with no idea how badly they are damaging the cause.

But if it is black ops by the Right/HMG then yes, it is clever, because it is too subtle for most people to think through. We have all seen the protestors urinating on Churchill etc, we all know they've binned Little Britain and Fawlty, when people see Penny Lane being defaced they won't try and tease out the implications, they will just get very very angry

And they are angry. Liverpudlians are fuming on Twitter
    On the corner is a fascist with a painting gun.

It's quite a thought. These things do happen.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Bingo

In those days it was housey housey....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454
    Oh no, I completely disagree.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Hi fellers, why not join as at the

NEW THREAD?

• Options

HYUFD said:
    I’m confused.

"Isn’t Hitchens all insistent on freedom?"

I wouldn't say that, why?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355
    This is one issue that very sharply divides Conservatives. I keep re-visiting it myself. But, on balance, I think I prefer current Sunday trading laws.

It makes Sundays special and I think it's positive for society (in general) to have a family day each week when we're not feverishly working or shopping.

I would keep (as I think is currently the case) all leisure, restaurant and pubs open though - which isn't the case in socially conservative places, like Switzerland.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454

eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

No.

Halitosis?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Pulpstar said:

Andrew said:

twitter.com/nigel0061/status/1271457188654059520

Glad i got my reusable respirator mask before people really do start to cotton on to this mask thing.
    My FFP2s for going to the supermarket and chinese are coming in handy.
    As is my phone sanitiser for re-using them🙂
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

Colston's entire fortune was built on shipping slaves across the Atlantic, as I understand it? He drove the hideous business.

That seems very different to someone who bought and sold and owned slaves, which - however horrific - was extremely common before Britain heroically abolished it because we are great; all the early US presidents, and Founding Fathers, owned slaves, probably the vast majority of kings and queens in history owned slaves, all the Roman emperors, bigwigs, all the Greek philosophers, leading thinkers in ISIS, the Prophet Muhammad, and so on.

If "slave owning" is enough to get your statue pulled down, then there will have to be an orgy of toppling
    Starting with this monarch?

In 1562 Captain John Hawkins was the first known Englishman to include enslaved Africans in his cargo. Queen Elizabeth approved of his journey, during which he captured 300 Africans. He then sailed across the North Atlantic and exchanged them for hides, ginger and sugar. He returned to London in 1563. Thirsty for greater profits, he organised another voyage for 1564 to which Queen Elizabeth contributed one vessel.
    Meanwhile, the African presence in England became established to such an extent that attempts were made to limit their numbers. Queen Elizabeth enjoyed the profits of the Atlantic slave trade and employed African entertainers in her court but she issued a decree to expel Africans from England in July 1596.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    kinabalu said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

But clever?

Of course there is a strong chance this really is just stupid Antifa bell-ends, with no idea how badly they are damaging the cause.

But if it is black ops by the Right/HMG then yes, it is clever, because it is too subtle for most people to think through. We have all seen the protestors urinating on Churchill etc, we all know they've binned Little Britain and Fawlty, when people see Penny Lane being defaced they won't try and tease out the implications, they will just get very very angry

And they are angry. Liverpudlians are fuming on Twitter
    On the corner is a fascist with a painting gun.

It's quite a thought. These things do happen.
    there is no way this isn't a recent sociology graduate with a tonne of debt and a revolutionary cob on.
This discussion has been closed.