Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As CON MPs get increasingly concerned about Boris the 3/2 that

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

It's had many ripples outward but the problem at the heart of the recent unrest was the fact that Derek Chauvin knelt on a subdued suspect (FLoyd)'s neck for 8 minutes and 34 seconds.
    That's not some split second fight or flight response, he had plenty of time to cuff Floyd.
    It's one of the most disgusting killings I've seen in years.
    It's completely indefensible, and my instinct is always to defend the police having never known an uncle who was murdered whilst on active duty.

Have the police offered ANY explanation why he knelt on a clearly subdued, unresisting, unarmed man for such a hideously long time?

I've not seen any attempt to rationalise it. So it does look like grotesque and cold-blooded murder.
    I can't. Also the argument that Floyd was no angel is tripe. Was Floyd posing a threat after say a minute of being subdued. The answer is clearly no, and even if he was there are four officers there to get him cuffed. It's a massive red herring, the police don't normally go around arresting society's mother theresas anyway.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    nico67 said:

I expect a deal will be done because Bozo knows the right wing press will big up anything with his name attached to it and he can just rebrand another capitulation as the best deal ever.

Daily Mail isn't on his Christmas card list....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Why so many techty people on here today?

People have been tetchy since 2016 or thereabouts.
    No, 2014. The first Indyref

When historians come to chart the Total Decline of the West, it will begin with the Scots narrowly saying Nay

2008 GFC.

That era has not yet fully played out.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

It's had many ripples outward but the problem at the heart of the recent unrest was the fact that Derek Chauvin knelt on a subdued suspect (FLoyd)'s neck for 8 minutes and 34 seconds.
    That's not some split second fight or flight response, he had plenty of time to cuff Floyd.
    It's completely indefensible, and my instinct is always to defend the police having never known an uncle who was murdered whilst on active duty.

Have the police offered ANY explanation why he knelt on a clearly subdued, unresisting, unarmed man for such a hideously long time?

I've not seen any attempt to rationalise it. So it does look like grotesque and cold-blooded murder.
    If past events are anything to go by, he'll be retiring on a full pension. The whole police system in the US is corrupt.
    I don't think he will be. Not this time.
    *If* Chauvin gets jail time, unless they find some facility full of white collar minor offenders, serving his sentence will be something of a shit show.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

I do wish we knew how many people we've tested though ^^;;;;;

We ought to be able to split to "positive test", "negative test", "test not yet returned", "test returned, not yet analysed", "inconclusive test"

We do, more or less. It's just there's been a little doublecounting, supposedly 2/3% or so, because there are so many testing bodies involved: 4 national health services, multiple testing routes for each, some public, some private, with the usual problems around data privacy probably not helping.

Worth pointing out that for many countries you don't get a breakdown of testing data - for example, Germany produces total number of tests, once a week, with just a note saying they do multiple tests/person (as does every country).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Unless it turns out that his illness has caused him to be permanently disabled, Boris isn't going anywhere, despite the wishful thinking of his opponents. Yes, Covid and its after-effects are going to make the next couple of years a nightmare across the Western world, but that’s unavoidable whoever the leader is, and there’s plenty of opportunity to get back to a semblance of good times by 2024.

As for ephemeral polls, the current orgy of cultural vandalism has interrupted Labour’s rise as the public wakes up to what the fuck they may be voting into power, as yesterday’s Survation suggests...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1271057897196306433

One solitary statue of a mass murderer gets unlawfully taken down, the rightists of PB call it an “orgy of cultural vandalism” and imply the Labour Party is to blame. In the meantime, we will have around 60,000 excess deaths as a result of the Government’s muddled response, more than any comparable country on an aggregate or per capita basis, and the worst economic downturn in the industrialised world, but that’s “unavoidable whoever the leader is”. In the words of one commentator here “you couldn’t make it up”.
    One solitary statue taken down by a violent mob explicitly celebrated by Labour MP Nadia Whittome:

https://twitter.com/NadiaWhittomeMP/status/1269732031128383490

Note her exact words about a future Labour Government:

'I celebrate these acts of resistance.'

'We need a movement that will tear down systemic racism and the slave owner statues that symbolise it. And we need to win a government that will always be on the side of this movement.'

The statue's vandals have published a hit list of dozens more across the country to destroy, and they've already defaced many more, including Churchill, Lincoln, and Gandhi.

Meanwhile, Labour mayors and councils across the country are jumping at the opportunity to 'review' their local monuments, and in the case of Sadiq Khan, to just send in the JCBs as he did with Milligan.

I'm afraid the facts speak for themselves about the left's intentions.
    And I’m afraid the numbers speak for themselves as to the number of people your party has negligently allowed to die these last three months. Are you on the side of living humans or statues? The impression you give is that you give more of a damn about chunks of metal celebrating mass murderers like Coulson and Milligan than the people of this country. But I am sure that is not the case.
    I'm sure the eventual public inquiry will establish exactly what occurred in this unprecendented global pandemic and the extent to which deaths could or could not have been avoided. Of course, you have all the answers now, thanks to your handy time machine.

'Living humans or statues' isn't a mutually-exclusive choice, by the way. One can want to save as many lives as possible from the pandemic, as the Government is doing, while deploring the violence and cultural vandalism of the far left. People have noticed what they're about, and it doesn't look as though they like it...
    You base your entire paranoid polemic on one tweet from one Labour MP and a single Survation Poll that still shows your party’s support far more than halved in a month. As for “time machine” - you forget I borrowed yours, you know the one you use to predict elections? In the meantime the below tweets represent the actual views of the Labour Party - and most people in this country

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1269949806463668224

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1269919037426929664

David Lammy has - to my amazement - won my respect on this occasion. He explicitly said that he doesn't condone violence and riots AND that he would not march with BLM because that would make him a hypocrite after criticizing Cummings.

As for Starmer, on the other hand, actions speak louder than words. Two days after the illegal actions of that mob, he and dozens of Labour MPs put out photos of themselves kneeling in support of the protesters.

If they didn't mean to lend their implicit support to illegal acts of violence then literally kneeling before a movement that had perpetrated them very publicly a couple of days earlier was a funny way of showing it...
    Agree. Lammy has gone up in my estimation.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

If past events are anything to go by, he'll be retiring on a full pension. The whole police system in the US is corrupt.
    I don't think he will be. Not this time.
    *If* Chauvin gets jail time, unless they find some facility full of white collar minor offenders serving his sentence will be something of a shit show.
    If he’s cleared then the rest of his life isn’t going to be easy either,
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

When historians come to chart the Total Decline of the West, it will begin with the Scots narrowly saying Nay

There's always a way to blame the Jocks.

Joke btw.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

I can't. Also the argument that Floyd was no angel is tripe. Was Floyd posing a threat after say a minute of being subdued. The answer is clearly no, and even if he was there are four officers there to get him cuffed. It's a massive red herring, the police don't normally go around arresting society's mother theresas anyway.
    In Louisville they shot an EMT and trainee nurse eight times as she slept.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

I think he was already cuffed, so why were they kneeling on him anyway?
  • Options

Good question. I've been avoiding posting on, and mostly avoiding reading, PB for the past few days because of the atmosphere.

It might be that lockdown anxiety is getting to everyone, quietly ratcheting up tensions. Or it might be a reflection of discourse in the world as a whole.

Whatever the reason, we should not follow this trend. Try not to denounce someone for their weakest moment, or attack the straw man. Read quotes in context. Resist the urge to blame. Accept that people make honest mistakes. Agree to disagree.

--AS
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

I wonder in ths same period how many black people under 25 have been killed by black people under 25. I am still struggling with the concept of the BLM movement when they never mention black people killing black people. The murders at the weekend were just ignored.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Racist arsewits whose sole argument is desperate whataboutery mention black-on-black crime all the time.
    Yeh, black on black crime is just not a thing, right?

Black lives only matter when they are taken by whites. Or white police, actually. White Criminals is OK.
    It is a thing, but I reckon the best label of that thing would be "crime". Now crime is a complex issue, and we could fill many a socially undistanced lecture theatre with academics with a multitude of views in how to address it, but I think one thing they would all agree on would that the police should on balance try to stop crime, and not commit more of it.

In the meantime, keep digging.
    You're right, the US police must be rubbish, given the incredible numbers of black people slaughtering other black people in their cities.

They must be sitting around in their cars all day, eating donuts.
    Sounds like black people oppressing and killing other black people is something you think should be an integral part of any discussion on racism. For context, I suppose. Would that be fair?
    I don't know, it might contextualise things somewhat.

If far more black people are being killed by black people than are being killed by white people, then which is the bigger problem? The evisceration of a community by itself, or police racism against that community?

I'd argue its the former, but for Black Lives Matter its a subset of the latter.

Who speaks for the very large numbers of victims of black on black crime?

Who speaks for George Floyd's victims? does anybody think about they must have felt as their tormentor was lionised as a hero by world leaders?

Personally, I think its pretty much nobody. It certainly isn't black lives matter.
    He did his time for armed robbery, got out, moved to Minneapolis to start over, largely kept his nose clean, found God, even filmed an anti–gun violence video. He wasn’t a model person by any means but he was a model ex-con who paid his debt to his victims and to society by spending five years in prison. He did everything a criminal is supposed to do to rehabilitate himself afterwards. He was an example to ex-cons. But you are suggesting that, rather than be applauded for turning his life around, he should not be grieved after being tortured to death by an agent of the State? Really?
    It would seems so. It would appear that some folk think that if someone is a criminal, a suspected criminal or an ex-con it is excusable for a police officer to kneel on his throat for 8 mins 45 secs. They have an interesting perspective on justice.
  • Options
    SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    Last prices matched at Betfair for the Republican nominee resulting from the RNC:

Trump 1.08
    Pence 42
    Haley 65
    Ryan 100
    Romney 390
    Cruz 600
    Kasich 700
    Rice 730
    Rubio 990
    various others 1000

And just to muck about, removing Trump and ignoring the various others indicates the following prices:

Pence 2.42
    Haley 3.72
    Ryan 5.72
    Romney 22
    Cruz 34
    Kasich 40
    Rice 42
    Rubio 57

Rice has also been suggested on Fox News by Fox's own "senior judicial analyst" Judge Andrew Napolitano as a VP running-mate for Biden.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DougSeal said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Floyd is worse.

The EMT was tragic but seems like a genuine accident with gunshots going both ways.

Floyd was cold blooded murder.
  • Options
    Surrey said:

Last prices matched at Betfair for the Republican nominee resulting from the RNC:

Trump 1.08
    Pence 42
    Haley 65
    Ryan 100
    Romney 390
    Cruz 600
    Kasich 700
    Rice 730
    Rubio 990
    various others 1000

And just to muck about, removing Trump and ignoring the various others indicates the following prices:

Pence 2.42
    Haley 3.72
    Ryan 5.72
    Romney 22
    Cruz 34
    Kasich 40
    Rice 42
    Rubio 57
    various others 1000

The Haley/Pence ratio is mental
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,215
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Videos from around March 12th by Halpern, Vallance and Harries looked to have aged appallingly.
    The most deadly groupthink in years.

No one seems to have asked them the most basic questions, such as:

1) what are the points of greatest uncertainty in your analysis?
    2) what if you're wrong about any/all of those?
    3) why do you think everyone else is following a different approach?

This was a brand new disease, poorly understood (it still is) and they seem to have proceeded with blithe certainty about everything.
    almost as if putting science correspondents on the daily briefings may have actually been a wiser move.
    This was a job for the politicians to undertake. They didn't.

And of course, Boris Johnson didn't even turn up for the meetings to quiz them.
    Except of course if its true as we discussed yesterday that if the SAGE scientists wanted to continue to continue down the Swedish route at least a week more and if its true that questioning from Cummings saw them change to lockdown, then Cumming and the governments questioning probably saved 50,000 lives from being lost. We'd probably be at over a hundred thousand dead now otherwise.
    I have no interest in ever engaging with you. Please desist.
    No thanks.

Its a public forum. If you have no interest in having your views challenged then you can either ignore viewpoints that differ to yours, or talk to a mirror.

When you're ready to apologise for swearing earlier you can. I'm being the bigger person despite your swearing at me.
    I have no interest in engaging with a simpering cretin who is callous to the risks of pain and suffering that his prejudice leads to. So, and in full awareness of Mike's warning earlier, fuck off.

If I am banned as a consequence, so be it. I won't be a moral vacuum, which is what you evidently are.
    Off Topic

There seems to have been something resembling bullying by some posters in response, especially to Alistair's views on Brexit. Unparliamentary language aside I for one can understand Alistair's frustration.

My late father was a North Midlands RFU referee decades ago. His view after a player had thrown a punch was what provoked the punch in the first place.

If people are to be shown red cards for their reaction, perhaps a review of what provoked that reaction could be looked at too.

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of certain actions, are perhaps sometimes written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint. Sometimes they do touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so.

PB is a wonderful resource. Many posters from all political persuasions can inspire and impress. It is not so inspirational or impressive when it is used by some posters as an alternative to ConHome or Labourlist.
    A transparent attempt to win the war by lofty generalisation after a week of bruising defeat in each and every individual battle. Nobody has claimed that black lives matter more or less than other lives, not by so much as .001%. They certainly matter more to the average PBer than to that appalling POS George Floyd, because I don't suppose any of us have ever pointed a loaded weapon at a black woman (unless you have something to share?) It's not as if anyone is advocating a change of government policy to a "black lives matter about 30% as much as other sorts" approach, or that we should be complacent about an epidemic of killings of black people by white policemen that disfigures UK society.

And I don't think anyone - and I mean anyone - disputes the incomprehensible evil of the European Atlantic slave trade. You may have misunderstood some crucial parts of the argument.

tldr: why don'y you move to Minnesota?
    Not really.

I have no particular axe to grind as regards racism. I do believe how American policemen sometimes behave is wrong. George Floyd probably wouldn't be my poster boy. I think the Sandra Bland case is far sadder.

As you have implied I am not particularly bright so I have clearly misunderstood the cut and thrust of the arguments. My mistake.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Temporarily boarding up the Cenotaph and Churchill monument is a sensible move from Khan to prevent an expensive repair bill. I personally abhore any criminal damage of property. I am not sure how criminal damage reflects on the Labour Party, particularly as most sensible key Labour politicians, having condemned racism have also condemned the way the Colston statue, for example, was removed.

BoZo is getting his share of the blame

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1271417762498457600
    That could just be the tipping point for The Democratic Football Lads Alliance.

Tice is playing with fire.
    Er, I think it's the protestors who've been playing with fire as they are the ones attacking the Churchill statue, defacing it, and trying to get murals of Churchill pulled down.

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1271091977518546949?s=20

Or calling Churchill a c*nt

https://twitter.com/s711art/status/1271155615126167552?s=20
    Trying to think where that is. Is it on the City Churches?
    I have been able to confirm for myself. This is on the side wall of St Pauls Church in Dundee.

Nice.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Temporarily boarding up the Cenotaph and Churchill monument is a sensible move from Khan to prevent an expensive repair bill. I personally abhore any criminal damage of property. I am not sure how criminal damage reflects on the Labour Party, particularly as most sensible key Labour politicians, having condemned racism have also condemned the way the Colston statue, for example, was removed.

Er, I think it's the protestors who've been playing with fire as they are the ones attacking the Churchill statue, defacing it, and trying to get murals of Churchill pulled down.

In Dundee C*nt is more or less a term of endearment.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

As a fan of the great man, and having read many books on him (including one really bad one by a well known person who would desperately like to be compared with him!), I suspect he would have thought it amusing to be called a c*nt. He would no doubt, have a witty repost.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

I assumed he wasn't. Which might be subconscious pro police bias on my part. Perhaps.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

DougSeal said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Floyd is worse.

The EMT was tragic but seems like a genuine accident with gunshots going both ways.

No, it's part of the same issue. Police using deadly force as their first stop. Getting the wrong house can happen, stupid but it can happen. It's the shoot first attitude that needs to change, or in the case of Floyd, kill first. The police in America have turned into judge, jury and executioner far too many times for people suspected of crime because they go in with an attitude of everyone being guilty.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,799
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Would you have said that if we voted yes?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Floyd is worse.

The cops went to completely the wrong apartment in Louisville and executed a no knock warrant. Sure, you can call it an accident, but only in the same way as crashing after forgetting which side of the road we drive on is an accident. Her boyfriend opened fire because a bunch of guys smashed down the door in the middle of the night. I’d have done the same thing. Now he’s being charged with attempted murder.

And eight times?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think anyone is making the argument that Floyd's record is either defence, or mitigation, of what happened to him, but it is a legitimate answer to emotive appeals for sympathy based on 8 minutes 34 seconds yada yada. Shit thing to happen, sure, but not my problem, not this country's problem, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

2008 GFC.

That era has not yet fully played out.
    Actually, I'd go back to 9/11

That kicked off the Iraq War (and all the disasters that came with), the GFC itself was arguably, in part, caused by US debt from that war, and so on and so forth

Bin Laden wanted to bring down the West when he flew those planes into the Towers. Perhaps, in a hundred years, when we are all being monitored 24/7 by Chinese drones and we have the the face of Emperor Xi tattooed by law on our babies, we will conclude that Osama succeeded
    I fucking hate it when wannabe tossers on the internet say "oh well you should read this book..." but actually....Philip Bobbitt (no relation) writes very well on the various epochs and eras of history which draws interesting lines between events we normally consider unrelated.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

I assumed he wasn't. Which might be subconscious pro police bias on my part. Perhaps.
    See 1:26 below:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/george-floyd-new-video-officers-kneel-trnd/index.html
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447
    Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

I would. It's the fact that we had the referendum at all. Identity politics is a dangerous preoccupation.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I have been able to confirm for myself. This is on the side wall of St Pauls Church in Dundee.

Nice.
    'There is now only one public commemoration noting Mr Churchill’s role as the city’s MP, a small plaque “stuck on the gable end of a building” in Dundee’s centre, the BBC reports. '

Well, there's two now.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited June 2020

Good question. I've been avoiding posting on, and mostly avoiding reading, PB for the past few days because of the atmosphere.

It might be that lockdown anxiety is getting to everyone, quietly ratcheting up tensions. Or it might be a reflection of discourse in the world as a whole.

Whatever the reason, we should not follow this trend. Try not to denounce someone for their weakest moment, or attack the straw man. Read quotes in context. Resist the urge to blame. Accept that people make honest mistakes. Agree to disagree.

--AS
    :smile: - you really are the biggest sweetie.

But it's hard, you know. It's hard sometimes.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

Videos from around March 12th by Halpern, Vallance and Harries looked to have aged appallingly.

This was a brand new disease, poorly understood (it still is) and they seem to have proceeded with blithe certainty about everything.
    almost as if putting science correspondents on the daily briefings may have actually been a wiser move.

Except of course if its true as we discussed yesterday that if the SAGE scientists wanted to continue to continue down the Swedish route at least a week more and if its true that questioning from Cummings saw them change to lockdown, then Cumming and the governments questioning probably saved 50,000 lives from being lost. We'd probably be at over a hundred thousand dead now otherwise.
    No thanks.

Its a public forum. If you have no interest in having your views challenged then you can either ignore viewpoints that differ to yours, or talk to a mirror.

When you're ready to apologise for swearing earlier you can. I'm being the bigger person despite your swearing at me.
    I have no interest in engaging with a simpering cretin who is callous to the risks of pain and suffering that his prejudice leads to. So, and in full awareness of Mike's warning earlier, fuck off.

If I am banned as a consequence, so be it. I won't be a moral vacuum, which is what you evidently are.
    Off Topic

There seems to have been something resembling bullying by some posters in response, especially to Alistair's views on Brexit. Unparliamentary language aside I for one can understand Alistair's frustration.

My late father was a North Midlands RFU referee decades ago. His view after a player had thrown a punch was what provoked the punch in the first place.

If people are to be shown red cards for their reaction, perhaps a review of what provoked that reaction could be looked at too.

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of certain actions, are perhaps sometimes written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint. Sometimes they do touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so.

PB is a wonderful resource. Many posters from all political persuasions can inspire and impress. It is not so inspirational or impressive when it is used by some posters as an alternative to ConHome or Labourlist.
    A transparent attempt to win the war by lofty generalisation after a week of bruising defeat in each and every individual battle. Nobody has claimed that black lives matter more or less than other lives, not by so much as .001%. They certainly matter more to the average PBer than to that appalling POS George Floyd, because I don't suppose any of us have ever pointed a loaded weapon at a black woman (unless you have something to share?) It's not as if anyone is advocating a change of government policy to a "black lives matter about 30% as much as other sorts" approach, or that we should be complacent about an epidemic of killings of black people by white policemen that disfigures UK society.

And I don't think anyone - and I mean anyone - disputes the incomprehensible evil of the European Atlantic slave trade. You may have misunderstood some crucial parts of the argument.

Not really.

I have no particular axe to grind as regards racism. I do believe how American policemen sometimes behave is wrong. George Floyd probably wouldn't be my poster boy. I think the Sandra Bland case is far sadder.

As you have implied I am not particularly bright so I have clearly misunderstood the cut and thrust of the arguments. My mistake.
    Ooh, passive aggression.

Point us to one of these "dreadful posts" about slavery and perhaps we can explain where you are going wrong.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Floyd is worse.

The cops went to completely the wrong apartment in Louisville and executed a no knock warrant. Sure, you can call it an accident, but only in the same way as crashing after forgetting which side of the road we drive on is an accident. Her boyfriend opened fire because a bunch of guys smashed down the door in the middle of the night. I’d have done the same thing. Now he’s being charged with attempted murder.

And eight times?
    The idea of no knock warrants is absurd and that combined with America's gun culture and the desire for homeowners to shoot home invaders led to a tragedy IMHO. Its endemic of American violence, not racism, they may not have even known whether the person they were shooting at was black or white.

I think all charges have been dropped against the boyfriend, I don't think he's being charged with anything anymore let alone attempted murder.
  • Options
    Shapps just now: "Avoid contact with more than six people, including to protest".
  • Options

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

I would. It's the fact that we had the referendum at all. Identity politics is a dangerous preoccupation.
    As in British patriotism? Blood and soil speeches by Mr Cameron? It's a position, I suppose. Some of us were actually more worried about the democratic deficit than whether our fellow Scots were white, peelywally, gingery, pink, blue or Proxima Centauran. And now we're stuck with Brexit against our will.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Shapps just now: "Avoid contact with more than six people, including to protest".

So the grouping has been increased to seven?
  • Options
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

So the grouping has been increased to seven?
    I think it was always like that but I could be wrong
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Floyd is worse.

And eight times?
    The idea of no knock warrants is absurd and that combined with America's gun culture and the desire for homeowners to shoot home invaders led to a tragedy IMHO. Its endemic of American violence, not racism, they may not have even known whether the person they were shooting at was black or white.

I think all charges have been dropped against the boyfriend, I don't think he's being charged with anything anymore let alone attempted murder.
    Didn’t know that about the boyfriend. Great news if true.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

Oh Scott, you tried your best but you lost.

Everyone in the country who values truth, honesty and integrity lost.

But you're a winner...
    I am a winner and Brexit is happening. I'm sure there's some lies on twitter you can retweet as you stomp your feet. :wink:
    If you really think Brexit will resemble anything particularly different from our existing EU membership then either you have not been paying attention, or you really are as dumb as the rest of the loonies and fruitcakes.
    How mad must those 10 billion people who marched against it and all the FBPE fanatics on twitter be then if they're getting angry over nothing? You should probably tell James O'Brien too while you're at it that nothing is changing.
    As mentioned, the terms of our trade and relations will not change too much, save for everything will henceforth be done on the EU's terms (witness the u-turn today).

And the opportunity cost has been huge but as I said, Leavers don't generally deal in concepts and I suppose if they can't drop it on their foot it doesn't really exist.
    I think the opposite will happen and remain confident the UK will outgrow the Eurozone over the course of this decade.
    LOL you ain't half in for a shock when you come out of your fantasy world.
    We have for the past two decades despite all the warnings about what would happen if we don't join the Euro and having half of the last decade been debating our EU membership and/or after the referendum.

I don't see any reason for things to change. The UK is adept at adapting to the world. The EU is a sclerotic behemoth. Agile and nimble beats brute, lumbering monstrosities.
    "Big fucks small, always". Alfie, in Peaky Blinders.
    Its not true though.

Without wanting to trigger @kinabalu the Prime Minister is apparently 40% bigger than Amir Khan, but if they got into a boxing ring my money would certainly be on the smaller and more nimble Khan over the weightier, stodgier unfit Prime Minister.

Fit, nimble, strong and agile beats big, slow and unhealthy.
    lol

"Muscles" Johnson would wipe the floor with titchy little Khan surely.

Can't believe you're dissing your man.
    The way Boris flattened that 10-year-old rugby player shows Amir Khan would have no chance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5NN5S9sPFM
  • Options
    Wonder whether he'll need to do 14 days quarantine.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

Not really.

Ooh, passive aggression.

Point us to one of these "dreadful posts" about slavery and perhaps we can explain where you are going wrong.
    You don't know me, I don't know you. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I don't think anyone is making the argument that Floyd's record is either defence, or mitigation, of what happened to him, but it is a legitimate answer to emotive appeals for sympathy based on 8 minutes 34 seconds yada yada. Shit thing to happen, sure, but not my problem, not this country's problem, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Well, with magnificent arguments like that, how can anyone compete.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

I wonder in ths same period how many black people under 25 have been killed by black people under 25. I am still struggling with the concept of the BLM movement when they never mention black people killing black people. The murders at the weekend were just ignored.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Racist arsewits whose sole argument is desperate whataboutery mention black-on-black crime all the time.

Black lives only matter when they are taken by whites. Or white police, actually. White Criminals is OK.
    It is a thing, but I reckon the best label of that thing would be "crime". Now crime is a complex issue, and we could fill many a socially undistanced lecture theatre with academics with a multitude of views in how to address it, but I think one thing they would all agree on would that the police should on balance try to stop crime, and not commit more of it.

You're right, the US police must be rubbish, given the incredible numbers of black people slaughtering other black people in their cities.

Sounds like black people oppressing and killing other black people is something you think should be an integral part of any discussion on racism. For context, I suppose. Would that be fair?

If far more black people are being killed by black people than are being killed by white people, then which is the bigger problem? The evisceration of a community by itself, or police racism against that community?

I'd argue its the former, but for Black Lives Matter its a subset of the latter.

Who speaks for George Floyd's victims? does anybody think about they must have felt as their tormentor was lionised as a hero by world leaders?

Personally, I think its pretty much nobody. It certainly isn't black lives matter.
    One think is for certain, an 18 year old black man is 100 times more likely to be killed by another 18 year old black man than by a white policeman.
    I have a proposal for you. From now on, after anything written in protest at racist policing in America, we include in brackets at the end -

(but let's also note that the black on black murder rate in the US is terribly high).

How would that suit?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...
    I am a winner and Brexit is happening. I'm sure there's some lies on twitter you can retweet as you stomp your feet. :wink:
    If you really think Brexit will resemble anything particularly different from our existing EU membership then either you have not been paying attention, or you really are as dumb as the rest of the loonies and fruitcakes.
    How mad must those 10 billion people who marched against it and all the FBPE fanatics on twitter be then if they're getting angry over nothing? You should probably tell James O'Brien too while you're at it that nothing is changing.
    As mentioned, the terms of our trade and relations will not change too much, save for everything will henceforth be done on the EU's terms (witness the u-turn today).

And the opportunity cost has been huge but as I said, Leavers don't generally deal in concepts and I suppose if they can't drop it on their foot it doesn't really exist.
    I think the opposite will happen and remain confident the UK will outgrow the Eurozone over the course of this decade.
    We have for the past two decades despite all the warnings about what would happen if we don't join the Euro and having half of the last decade been debating our EU membership and/or after the referendum.

I don't see any reason for things to change. The UK is adept at adapting to the world. The EU is a sclerotic behemoth. Agile and nimble beats brute, lumbering monstrosities.
    Its not true though.

Without wanting to trigger @kinabalu the Prime Minister is apparently 40% bigger than Amir Khan, but if they got into a boxing ring my money would certainly be on the smaller and more nimble Khan over the weightier, stodgier unfit Prime Minister.

lol

The way Boris flattened that 10-year-old rugby player shows Amir Khan would have no chance.
    17 stone of pure muscle, that's our boy Boris.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    MaxPB said:

Only if it's from the Quarantine region. Otherwise sparkling isolation.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    MaxPB said:

Diplomatic bubble.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:
    He was a king who lived a long time ago. So must be a racist I guess.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

Not really.

Ooh, passive aggression.

You don't know me, I don't know you. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?
    "Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so."
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    eadric said:
    Given that he lived in medieval times, it would be amazing if his attitudes to race were acceptable to modern opinion.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

Not really.

Ooh, passive aggression.

Are you new here?
    Just inexperienced.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    MaxPB said:

I wonder if "Head of State" counts as an "essential worker"?

If not, I look forward to Johnson explaining that to Brenda.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

The silence from those Leavers on the site who angrily denounced me when I pointed out that the government was not going to let a mere pandemic delay its timetable is telling.

But I expect they’ve all rewritten their memories by now.
    Not a leaver, but will hold my hand up to say I thought we would quietly agree an extension. Overall I'm starting to think I've seriously overestimated the competence of this government.
    I am pretty certain there will be no extension but also no "WTO" Brexit.

I expect an "interim deal" by the year-end which keeps things closely aligned into 2021, with suitable wording about "selective divergence" being on the table for future negotiation.

An extension without an extension in other words.

I suspect now that the government will largely fold, as it did in 2019. This will be proclaimed a triumph, as it was in 2019. The difference is that Tory MPs will have more time to absorb what has been agreed to.
    A virtual certainty imo.

And I think Johnson can sell it so long as FM is (at least technically) ended.
    I bloody well hope we do fold ! The alternative of WTO tariffs with the EU whole world will beggar us beyond belief.
    Quite so.

WTO Brexit has imo always been a total non-starter. Bit like Ref2. Never the remotest chance of it happening.

But it sure oils many a discussion! :smile:
    It is not 'quite so', it's a glib statement with nothing to support it. Which specific tariffs has Pulpstar in mind? In which cases will they 'beggar' us? As highlighted by Rcs1000 the other day, there are specific concerns for industries like the automotive with complex supply chains. But to most other industries, they are pennies.
  • Options

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

In Dundee C*nt is more or less a term of endearment.
    Or perhaps of respect? I remember having a conversation with a friend as to whether Gordon Brown was a tw*t or a c*nt. He concluded that he was much more of a tw*t. Similarly I would describe Boris Johnson as more tw*t than c*nt. Cummings on the other hand is (and I hate to compliment the man) a complete c*nt
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

One think is for certain, an 18 year old black man is 100 times more likely to be killed by another 18 year old black man than by a white policeman.
    I have a proposal for you. From now on, after anything written in protest at racist policing in America, we include in brackets at the end -

(but let's also note that the black on black murder rate in the US is terribly high).

How would that suit?
    It`s leagues different if the killing is by a state actor.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    He was admittedly hard on the English invaders and IIRC his brother invaded Ireland (like rather a lot of kings of Scotland and England). But the relevance to BLM is uncertain. I don't think he ever went on Crusade either (though I am sure he would have liked to go, like rather a lot of kings ditto ditto). His heart did reputedly go separately, but that was postmortem (and may be a myth anyway as it has purportedly been found at Melrose Abbey).
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,976

I wonder if "Head of State" counts as an "essential worker"?

If not, I look forward to Johnson explaining that to Brenda.

As long as they meet in Durham, it's fine
  • Options
    Valance drops Ruth May's name.....wonder if anyone will pick that story up....
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

eadric said:
    He won the battle of Bannockburn thereby confirming Scotland an independent kingdom

And this was in 1314 and he then took Berwick in 1318

I have no idea why he is described as a racist

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Nice.
    Wasn't Winston a mildly controversial MP for Dundee, at some point?
    Yes. DC Thomson really didn't like him and allegedly did not publish a story about him when he was an MP there but in fact had a great catalogue of materials that have been used by serious biographers and possibly even Boris ever since.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,976
    DavidL said:

Yes. DC Thomson really didn't like him and allegedly did not publish a story about him when he was an MP there but in fact had a great catalogue of materials that have been used by serious biographers and possibly even Boris ever since.

https://twitter.com/KennyFarq/status/1271464987719012352
  • Options
    Chris said:

eadric said:
    Given that he lived in medieval times, it would be amazing if his attitudes to race were acceptable to modern opinion.
    He was pre the major slavery times though. Have to wonder how many non white people he encountered tbh.
  • Options
  • Options
    Chris said:

eadric said:
    He was almost certainly very "ist" toward all protected groups
  • Options
    Mine too.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

lol

:smile: - too right, showed that little pest what's what, did our Boris.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

The silence from those Leavers on the site who angrily denounced me when I pointed out that the government was not going to let a mere pandemic delay its timetable is telling.

Not a leaver, but will hold my hand up to say I thought we would quietly agree an extension. Overall I'm starting to think I've seriously overestimated the competence of this government.

I expect an "interim deal" by the year-end which keeps things closely aligned into 2021, with suitable wording about "selective divergence" being on the table for future negotiation.

I suspect now that the government will largely fold, as it did in 2019. This will be proclaimed a triumph, as it was in 2019. The difference is that Tory MPs will have more time to absorb what has been agreed to.
    A virtual certainty imo.

I bloody well hope we do fold ! The alternative of WTO tariffs with the EU whole world will beggar us beyond belief.
    Quite so.

WTO Brexit has imo always been a total non-starter. Bit like Ref2. Never the remotest chance of it happening.

It is not 'quite so', it's a glib statement with nothing to support it. Which specific tariffs has Pulpstar in mind? In which cases will they 'beggar' us? As highlighted by Rcs1000 the other day, there are specific concerns for industries like the automotive with complex supply chains. But to most other industries, they are pennies.
    I will leave to @Pulpstar. I'm not very clued up on the details of this.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Chris said:

eadric said:
    He was pre the major slavery times though. Have to wonder how many non white people he encountered tbh.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/blackhistory/early_times/moors.htm has a gap for his time. Which implies zero evidence for any. [edit] Maybe more likely to meet an Inuit or Greenlander broiught back by a Viking/Dane over in the Western Isles, almost.
  • Options
    eadric said:
    Be white. This is what it's come too.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Mine too.
    No, it doesn't. You thought it was fine to tear down the statue of Colston with mob violence. Polls do not support that. They say "remove" to a museum.

You also agreed with the tearing down of the statue of Robert Milligan. He was not a slave trader, but a slave owner, which is a significant difference.
    Hmm - surely slave onwers had to trade in slaves to get them in the first place unless by inheritance or breeding? And didn';t they swapsies with other owners to get their slave selection just right?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

Not really.

Ooh, passive aggression.

Because he is a troll that does it to everyone lol. He doesn't really have any formed opinions on anything, he is just competing with @Philip Thompson and @contrarian for the title of Pain in the Arse Contrarian of the Year 2020
  • Options
    Shapps: No update on travel corridors until 29 June.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I agree with public opinion for once in my life. I’m going soft.
  • Options
    You do wonder how much longer these daily conferences are to continue for

Maybe twice a week is all that is needed, they have become largely tedious
  • Options

Mine too.
    And me. There’s hope for us all yet ;)
  • Options

"become"?!
  • Options

"become"?!
    Fair comment
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

A virtual certainty imo.

Quite so.

Ha Ha Ha , I would not like you as a fortune teller
    I'm borderline spooky, Malcolm, all know that.

Bet you all my wordly goods against a sausage roll that there is no WTO Brexit.
    It is a deal
    PS: I will book a couple of removal lorries in anticipation
  • Options
    eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.
    No, it doesn't. You thought it was fine to tear down the statue of Colston with mob violence. Polls do not support that. They say "remove" to a museum.

You also agreed with the tearing down of the statue of Robert Milligan. He was not a slave trader, but a slave owner, which is a significant difference.
    Hmm - surely slave onwers had to trade in slaves to get them in the first place unless by inheritance or breeding? And didn';t they swapsies with other owners to get their slave selection just right?
    Colston's entire fortune was built on shipping slaves across the Atlantic, as I understand it? He drove the hideous business.

That seems very different to someone who bought and sold and owned slaves, which - however horrific - was extremely common before Britain heroically abolished it because we are great; all the early US presidents, and Founding Fathers, owned slaves, probably the vast majority of kings and queens in history owned slaves, all the Roman emperors, bigwigs, all the Greek philosophers, leading thinkers in ISIS, the Prophet Muhammad, and so on.

If "slave owning" is enough to get your statue pulled down, then there will have to be an orgy of toppling
    I saw someone have a go at Nelson’s Column for his possibly being friends with slave owners. Even I thought that went a bit far.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:
    He drove the English out of Scotland in much the same way as Gandhi drove the British out of India. And Gandhi was a racist so Bruce must have been too. Is that how this logic thingy works?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

Colston's entire fortune was built on shipping slaves across the Atlantic, as I understand it? He drove the hideous business.

That seems very different to someone who bought and sold and owned slaves, which - however horrific - was extremely common before Britain heroically abolished it because we are great; all the early US presidents, and Founding Fathers, owned slaves, probably the vast majority of kings and queens in history owned slaves, all the Roman emperors, bigwigs, all the Greek philosophers, leading thinkers in ISIS, the Prophet Muhammad, and so on.

If "slave owning" is enough to get your statue pulled down, then there will have to be an orgy of toppling
    Fair point - I was thinking of the customers of Colston and his successors such as the owners of the Zong - on the same principle that they were sucking up the trade. But of course slavery was much wider as you say. Some Old Testament persons too even. And still more so if you include serfs - that's just about every mediaval landowner [edit] from Richard III downward.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

lol

He would only beat him if he rolled over him
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Shapps: No update on travel corridors until 29 June.

One does wonder why Walsh/IAG aren't suing Ireland or Spain over identical travel restrictions to the UK ....or slashing the work force at Aer Lingus / Iberia.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

A virtual certainty imo.

Quite so.

Ha Ha Ha , I would not like you as a fortune teller
    I'm borderline spooky, Malcolm, all know that.

Bet you all my wordly goods against a sausage roll that there is no WTO Brexit.
    It is a deal
    PS: I will book a couple of removal lorries in anticipation
    :smile: - you just pop that sausage roll in the freezer.
  • Options

I've stopped watching them now, I figure if there's any actual news it will be posted by someone else here.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Today we have the Scottish unionist fascists defacing national monuments and trying to blame it on BLM, what a bunch of sleazy no good cowards
  • Options
    eadric said:

Carnyx said:

eadric said:

Mine too.

Have there been any attempts to rename July and August?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Today we have the Scottish unionist fascists defacing national monuments and trying to blame it on BLM, what a bunch of sleazy no good cowards
    Source
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

Not really.

Ooh, passive aggression.

Because he is a troll that does it to everyone lol. He doesn't really have any formed opinions on anything, he is just competing with @Philip Thompson and @contrarian for the title of Pain in the Arse Contrarian of the Year 2020
    The arsehole of arseholes calling someone a troll, you could not make it up.
  • Options

Glad you said that. I think I agree but was wary to say it - not sure why but I was.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Mine too.

Actually I said the statue should end up in a museum. I even said if the people of Bristol wanted the statue back up it should go back up.

But why let facts get in the way of a rant?
  • Options
    RobD said:
    However, no one will do the governments calling due to Cummings according to many on here
  • Options

RobD said:
    However, no one will do the governments calling due to Cummings according to many on here
    Without wishing to reopen a very stale argument I do think these numbers show why the story gained so much traction.
This discussion has been closed.