Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump is said to be obsessed with the polls and the news for h

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    isam said:
    All statues must be of people who owned slaves believe highly educated children.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    Apparently. As was Frederick the Great.
    Julius was more transgender, Queen of Bythinia etc.

Whilst Julius Caesar was an equal opportunities employer.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

dr_spyn said:

PB ahead of the curve.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1271087122624241666

Biden v Trump, why can't they both lose? It would not surprise me if either of them failed to complete their term in office.

It is odd how The Democrats have managed to almost airbrush their past as The Party of The Confederacy.

Because the Republicans abandoned their honourable history as the party of abolition and Reconstruction and went for the Dixiecrat votes.

A 19th Century Republican would be a 21st Century Democrat and vice-versa.
    Abraham Lincoln. The number one choice of Karl Marx
    https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/iwma/documents/1864/lincoln-letter.htm
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    isam said:
    No statue will be safe from the loonies who have no idea what they are protesting about , just wreck all old statues as they must have been bad guys. Moronic.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    IshmaelZ said:

Will they leave the horse?

Praps that's the answer, all statues from here on in will be of horses. I'd like that.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    slade said:

The Huddersfield Examiner has a lead story on Kirklees council's decision to review all its statues and monuments. It is illustrated with a photo of the statue of Harold Wilson outside the station. Wilson must fall?

By far the worst imperialist who has ever lived.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

dr_spyn said:

PB ahead of the curve.

Biden v Trump, why can't they both lose? It would not surprise me if either of them failed to complete their term in office.

It is odd how The Democrats have managed to almost airbrush their past as The Party of The Confederacy.

Because the Republicans abandoned their honourable history as the party of abolition and Reconstruction and went for the Dixiecrat votes.

A 19th Century Republican would be a 21st Century Democrat and vice-versa.
    On racial matters certainly. Urban vs rural has flipped too.
    On the other hand, Republicans as the native born vs. Democrats as recent immigrants is a more enduring tradition from the 19th Century.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

isam said:
    Idiots looking to cause trouble, there's no thinking there.
    Some idiots in the US attacked a statue of Arnold Schwarzenegger - who has been quite vocal in his attacks on racism over the years.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

You do wonder if the Labour Party as distinct from its leader will be electable by the time of the next election.
    Most of those were unelectable last time. I mean, how could anyone vote for Zarah Sultana or Tulip Siddiq or Kate Osamor after the way they've behaved? Indeed, Sultana very nearly lost in Coventry as it was. Naz Shah, meanwhile, would surely have gone the way of Aidan Burley had she been a Tory.

The more compelling problem is how to make sure such people, which also include Burgon, Pidcock and Gardiner, don't get on the candidate shortlists to start. That's where Starmer should be focussing his energies.

Although the Tories can hardly talk given they have Rees-Mogg, Francois and Baker.
    Rees-Mogg is a nutty crank, he's not maliciously nasty in the way of Shah, Sultana or Pidcock.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

IshmaelZ said:

Praps that's the answer, all statues from here on in will be of horses. I'd like that.

Could be all cuddly animals
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    "Scouts have given me and my family years of pleasure."

I shouldn't - but I can't help it. How can you control your mind?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

ydoethur said:

You do wonder if the Labour Party as distinct from its leader will be electable by the time of the next election.
    Most of those were unelectable last time. I mean, how could anyone vote for Zarah Sultana or Tulip Siddiq or Kate Osamor after the way they've behaved? Indeed, Sultana very nearly lost in Coventry as it was. Naz Shah, meanwhile, would surely have gone the way of Aidan Burley had she been a Tory.

The more compelling problem is how to make sure such people, which also include Burgon, Pidcock and Gardiner, don't get on the candidate shortlists to start. That's where Starmer should be focussing his energies.

Although the Tories can hardly talk given they have Rees-Mogg, Francois and Baker.
    Rees-Mogg is a nutty crank, he's not maliciously nasty in the way of Shah, Sultana or Pidcock.
    Depends on your perspective. JRM is maliciously nasty and stupid,
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    edited June 2020
    isam said:
    Easy answer. No.

But it is right on this point as far as I know. In fact, southern railroad concerns refused to buy his locomotives because of his abolitionist stance. Very much to their disadvantage in the Civil War, I might add!
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Wonders if SKS approved of this letter to the Home Secretary?

https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1271075607955288064/photo/1
    Fizzling out here because of the measures.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Wait till you find out the title of Baden-Powell's classic 1908 semi-autobiographical handbook...
    Nigelb said:

dr_spyn said:

PB ahead of the curve.

There was no 'airbrushing' - they deliberately abandoned it under LBJ.
    Just as the Republicans abandoned their history as the party of Lincoln.
    George Wallace took a stand. Here is his riposte to "Dream". It's a speech still remembered oh so well -

http://www.let.rug.nl/usa/documents/1951-/speech-by-george-c-wallace-the-civil-rights-movement-fraud-sham-and-hoax-1964-.php
    Just be thankful it wasn't the other way around and a huge hotpot had gone unnoticed.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Wait till you find out the title of Baden-Powell's classic 1908 semi-autobiographical handbook...
    https://shop.scouts.org.uk/gifting/scouting-for-boys-1908-edition-by-robert-baden-powell#selection.color=NULL&selection.size=One Size

Including instructions on how to track them down by their spoor.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    And backed by the Pope at the Battle of the Boyne.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Could be all cuddly animals
    Looks like a thoroughbred to me - hardly in keeping with the egalitarian ethos of our times.

Get rid of it.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020

isam said:
    All statues must be of people who owned slaves believe highly educated children.
    I am sure his cousins twice removed did something dodgy, therefore he needs to be cancelled too... appears to be the current logic.
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

dr_spyn said:

PB ahead of the curve.

There was no 'airbrushing' - they deliberately abandoned it under LBJ.
    Just as the Republicans abandoned their history as the party of Lincoln.
    And breaking news, Tories abandoned their support of the Jacobite cause.

isam said:
    I am sure his cousins twice removed did something dodgy, therefore he needs to be cancelled too... appears to be the current logic.
    I don't think there's any logic, some people love any excuse to get violent. Will jump on any bandwagon as an excuse to cause trouble.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Shows you need to treat all data with a pinch of salt. This almost certainly fed into the narrative that the R in the SW was at or above 1 last week, when it almost certainly wasn't.

Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    Covering all the bases.

kinabalu said:

Tell me. I promise to judge it not by today's poncy superwoke standards but by the more grounded and earthy values prevailing at the time.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    dr_spyn said:

Im not sure Labour are playing this right. This letter is ridiculous and the picture of SKS "taking the knee" was cringeful
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

"My money remains on Biden."

Likewise.

But he's a risk given his obvious age. Could all come apart in the debates. Perhaps he should refuse to do them?

He was fine in the h-2-h debate against Sanders and meh but not disastrous in the wider Dem debates. I don't know why he'd take such a huge risk when he's the frontrunner. Biden wants everything to go as normal with no reason for the dynamic to change, the coverage of running from debates is a bigger risk than the debates.

More generally, I don't think Biden's age is a big issue. He's old, but not much older than Trump. It's not like either could be the other's father.
    RobD said:

Just be thankful it wasn't the other way around and a huge hotpot had gone unnoticed.

Good point.
    edited June 2020
    All old rich white blokes from the past definitely wouldn't been onboard with trans-rights, so they all need to be cancelled forewith.

We can't be far away from all J K Rowling works been burned for similar reasons.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited June 2020
    Just watched Dele Alli's social media post he's received a 1 game ban for. What on earth was wrong with it ?
    Looks miles ahead of the curve on mask wearing for one...
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

IshmaelZ said:

or hippos, if you're in Walsall
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Shows you need to treat all data with a pinch of salt. This almost certainly fed into the narrative that the R in the SW was at or above 1 last week, when it almost certainly wasn't.
    And the people of the South West could have had their lives materially interrupted their businesses hammered and their liberty constrained because of a completely bogus number that was wrongly calculated anyway.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336

Scouts were huge part of my teenage life and taught me so much.
    I'm starting to get a little worried about this "purge". I fear that the sympathy of the vast majority of people with the BLM movement will wane somewhat. Any normal person would be appalled by the behaviour of the US police (and UK now and again), but that means changing the policing system/laws for this to happen. Peaceful protest is fine, and can be quite effective, especially in an election year. Similarly any normal person would be worried by a mob of people taking the law into their own hands like in Bristol. When BLM lose the support of the bulk of people they will be back to square one.
    It seems that all the Conservative posters who abhor the Black Lives Matter movement have decided that they don't like the Labour BAME MPs' letter on the subject. Well you could have knocked me down with a feather to hear that.

Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    With an army with lots of Irish Catholics in it. As opposed to King James, who had lots of English Protestants.......
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

IshmaelZ said:

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    dr_spyn said:

PB ahead of the curve.

One thing I loathe about PB is the false equivalence between Biden and Trump.

One is an odious white supremacist moron, and the other a slightly doddery old bruiser who was VP in one the most successful US administrations of modern times.

Give over with 'plague on both their houses' stuff. It's risible.

ydoethur said:

Do you mind if I ask how?

I can't stand him but because he's an outdated crank who likes to pretend the country is as it was hundreds of years ago. Not noticed him be maliciously nasty, but if he has I'd be curious to learn how?
    RobD said:

I of course mean hotspot. Whether or not someone left their dinner unattended is another matter.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Urquhart, Elagabalus and possibly Nero were pro-transgender.

Also tyrants, but let's not get distracted from what counts.
    edited June 2020

It seems that all the Conservative posters who abhor the Black Lives Matter movement have decided that they don't like the Labour BAME MPs' letter on the subject. Well you could have knocked me down with a feather to hear that.

The one in which they slag off a BAME Conservative Home Secretary for daring to disagree with them? Why ever would one have a problem with that?
    edited June 2020

Nobody is stopping you or anyone else defending the letter. In fact it would be good to read a defence of it.

Andrew said:

As far as I can see the rate of decline has been super consistent since the peak. Here's UK figures, all settings, by actual date of death, from the "2nd peak" (ie the care home peak) on 17/april, until latest available figures 29/may:

There's a dog not barking here, isn't there?

Despite the sunny weekends, the cautious unlockdown, the Cummings effect (real or perceived), VE day, and everything else, nothing has apparently changed. At all.
    Absolutely right.

I keep saying on here (few take notice, but some do) that the fabled April warm spell was the first of several silent hounds.

It's worth looking back at the PB threads and the absolute certainty in which the Lockdown Extremists assured us that 'dickheads in London' (aka people with small flats and no gardens) would have blood on their hands etc etc because they sat in the park with their mates.

But, the cube root of fuck all happened.

Why?
    A-effing-men

and what did happen to that spike in London that was flagged up by a few ambulance chasers.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    dr_spyn said:

It backs up MaxPB's point about left wingers particularly disliking ethnic minorities who don't conform to their idea of how they think they should behave, particularly in *needing* left wing politicians' help and intervention to be successful. They also dislike working class rich people, probably for the same reason.

The one in which they slag off a BAME Conservative Home Secretary for daring to disagree with them? Why ever would one have a problem with that?
    You don't have a problem with 20,000 avoidable deaths caused by the current government, so it's a bit late to be reaching for the sal volatile over a letter.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    IanB2 said:

Which is a nonsense when you compare the outlook now with the outlook at the new year. Sell, while you can.
    As I posted on Sunday, and fortunately perfectly timed.

I don't like it either and I've been on the side of Black Lives Matter.

That letter is odious.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Go on then, defend it rather than attacking people you don't like. Conflating UK police with the US police okay with you?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Head in hands....

Honestly, I wouldn't be too bothered. We've done 1.8 million tests in 11 days this month .... at that throughput things will inevitably break, people will make mistakes, systems will malfunction.

"My money remains on Biden."

Likewise.

But he's a risk given his obvious age. Could all come apart in the debates. Perhaps he should refuse to do them?

He's only four years Trumpton's senior I think. Although admittedly small age differences are amplified for the young, and the elderly.

Andrew said:

As far as I can see the rate of decline has been super consistent since the peak. Here's UK figures, all settings, by actual date of death, from the "2nd peak" (ie the care home peak) on 17/april, until latest available figures 29/may:

Despite the sunny weekends, the cautious unlockdown, the Cummings effect (real or perceived), VE day, and everything else, nothing has apparently changed. At all.
    Absolutely right.

I keep saying on here (few take notice, but some do) that the fabled April warm spell was the first of several silent hounds.

It's worth looking back at the PB threads and the absolute certainty in which the Lockdown Extremists assured us that 'dickheads in London' (aka people with small flats and no gardens) would have blood on their hands etc etc because they sat in the park with their mates.

Why?
    A-effing-men

and what did happen to that spike in London that was flagged up by a few ambulance chasers.
    Spike chasing* at this point in the COVID epidemic is foolish - as has been seen across the world.

*By spike chasing I mean sensational stories.

I'm starting to get a little worried about this "purge". I fear that the sympathy of the vast majority of people with the BLM movement will wane somewhat. Any normal person would be appalled by the behaviour of the US police (and UK now and again), but that means changing the policing system/laws for this to happen. Peaceful protest is fine, and can be quite effective, especially in an election year. Similarly any normal person would be worried by a mob of people taking the law into their own hands like in Bristol. When BLM lose the support of the bulk of people they will be back to square one.
    Yes that footage from Hackney was appalling

British police viciously.......er......getting beaten up by a laughing selfying gang of black youths in broad daylight.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    Scotland and NI will manage to put a nice layer of sectarianism on top of their culture war movements as well.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    kinabalu said:

I sometimes wonder if I’m a classical liberal, libertarian or a bit of a secret radical.

However, I keep coming back to the fact I’m really a conservative. There are one-nation Conservatives like David Herdson and DavidL, liberal Conservatives like TSE and praetorian Thatcherites like HD2.

I am basically a shire Tory. It’s why I always had a soft spot for David Cameron, despite getting very frustrated with him at times.

I don't know if this helps but I can tell you that Toby Young self-identifies very strongly as a "classical liberal". Indeed it used to be the rather stark strap-line on his Twitter profile. Toby Young. Classical Liberal - Just that.

But not anymore. It now says "General Secretary of the Free Speech Union."

Which means he won't mind me saying all this. Or even if he does mind he would defend to the death my right to do so.
    I’ve now joined the Free Speech Union after my experiences of the last week.

Andrew said:

Hypothetically I think it'd be hard to eyeball a graph and recognise a change from, say, R=0.6 to R=0.8 over a week or two.
    True. It needs a log graph.

I assumed the fitted line was an exponential decay, but haven't checked.
    Not even that - its really, really hard to do the maths. These are ill-posed, inverse problems, with noisy data.

Take the log, and you might get a curve. That tells you its not simple, but its REALLY difficult to work out exactly what that curve means.

British police viciously.......er......getting beaten up by a laughing selfying gang of black youths in broad daylight.
    Like the footage at the week-end. British police brutally....um.......running away from youths chucking bottles at them.

And in Bristol.....British police sadistically.....er......allowing mob criminal damage on a monument.

ACAB eh?
    tlg86 said:

Go on then, defend it rather than attacking people you don't like. Conflating UK police with the US police okay with you?
    Tell me which words you object to. The letter is tone-deaf but its content seems absolutely fine to me from start to finish.

Page 1 is telling Priti Patel that she can't claim to speak for everyone from a BAME background, which she can't.

Page 2 is noting that the movement has arisen as a result of the George Floyd case, which it did, and that has prompted recognition of police brutality (which seems to have been the complaint of some here) and of other structural and institutional racism (which has been a central strand in the UK).
    Pulpstar said:

Just watched Dele Alli's social media post he's received a 1 game ban for. What on earth was wrong with it ?

Its the zooming in on an Asian man implying a link which was racist and in poor taste. At the time there were racist attacks on those of Chinese etc ethnicity.

ydoethur said:

I can't stand him but because he's an outdated crank who likes to pretend the country is as it was hundreds of years ago. Not noticed him be maliciously nasty, but if he has I'd be curious to learn how?
    JRM's suggestion that Grenfell dead should have ignored the fire service advice to stay in their houses and used 'common sense' (like he would have done) managed to be stupid and nasty. That he scuttled away from that statement shortly after suggests even he realised what a twattish thing it was to say.

kinabalu said:

I sometimes wonder if I’m a classical liberal, libertarian or a bit of a secret radical.

However, I keep coming back to the fact I’m really a conservative. There are one-nation Conservatives like David Herdson and DavidL, liberal Conservatives like TSE and praetorian Thatcherites like HD2.

I am basically a shire Tory. It’s why I always had a soft spot for David Cameron, despite getting very frustrated with him at times.

I don't know if this helps but I can tell you that Toby Young self-identifies very strongly as a "classical liberal". Indeed it used to be the rather stark strap-line on his Twitter profile. Toby Young. Classical Liberal - Just that.

But not anymore. It now says "General Secretary of the Free Speech Union."

Which means he won't mind me saying all this. Or even if he does mind he would defend to the death my right to do so.
    I’ve now joined the Free Speech Union after my experiences of the last week.
    It would be more honest for it to rename itself Privileged Lives Matter.

Andrew said:

Hypothetically I think it'd be hard to eyeball a graph and recognise a change from, say, R=0.6 to R=0.8 over a week or two.

Not even that - its really, really hard to do the maths. These are ill-posed, inverse problems, with noisy data.

Take the log, and you might get a curve. That tells you its not simple, but its REALLY difficult to work out exactly what that curve means.
    Which is why we end up back with the 7 day average. At least that is not trying find a curve that fits the data - an exercise which all to often ends up in "pick the curve I like, that kind'a fits the data"...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

tlg86 said:

Tell me which words you object to. The letter is tone-deaf but its content seems absolutely fine to me from start to finish.

Page 1 is telling Priti Patel that she can't claim to speak for everyone from a BAME background, which she can't.

Page 2 is noting that the movement has arisen as a result of the George Floyd case, which it did, and that has prompted recognition of police brutality (which seems to have been the complaint of some here) and of other structural and institutional racism (which has been a central strand in the UK).
    Well, the Labour Party and Left seem to think they have a monopoly on opposing racism so they are very much living in a glass house on that point.

If Naz Shah et al want to draw attention to specific acts of police brutality in the UK, let them do that.

Andrew said:

Absolutely right.

Why?
    A-effing-men

Spike chasing* at this point in the COVID epidemic is foolish - as has been seen across the world.

*By spike chasing I mean sensational stories.
    yup, agree.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336

I never mentioned Hackney. I thought it was awful as well, but even in the UK there may be the odd bad-apple.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Yeah, it was. 4.1ish%/day iirc.

Possibly interesting: if you separate out care home and hospital figures, they've both converged on the same rate of decline. At one point there was a hefty difference.

Has she ever claimed to ?
    I don't think Labour MPs can speak for everyone from a BAME background either. I doubt very much the BAME residents on my parent's street voted for Sultana for instance.

ydoethur said:

JRM's suggestion that Grenfell dead should have ignored the fire service advice to stay in their houses and used 'common sense' (like he would have done) managed to be stupid and nasty. That he scuttled away from that statement shortly after suggests even he realised what a twattish thing it was to say.
    I think that was twattishly stupid yes, not maliciously nasty. Not saying that's any better.

Andrew said:

Absolutely right.

Why?
    A-effing-men

It did the snow in summer routine, and the chasers discreetly turned off their sirens.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, the Labour Party and Left seem to think they have a monopoly on opposing racism so they are very much living in a glass house on that point.

If Naz Shah et al want to draw attention to specific acts of police brutality in the UK, let them do that.
    Ian Tomlinson was killed by the Met in 2009 - under a Labour Govt.

C'mon, Alastair, it's an absolutely appalling letter no matter how you look at. It begins badly ("Dear Rt Hon Priti Patel MP'), and gets worse from there on. I particularly appreciated "Being a person of colour does not automatically make you an authority on all forms of racism", which, whilst true, shows a spectacular failure of self-awareness since they are saying exactly that they are authorities on all forms of racism, what with being persons of colour themselves.

Sir Keir really needs to get a grip on this nonsense. If Labour starts descending back into student politics again, it won't do go down well with potential voters.
    It's tone deaf, I agree.

Is there much substantively wrong with it? No - it's expressing a point of view that this is a subject that needs to be dealt with and that Priti Patel's status as a woman of Asian background does not give her the monopoly of wisdom on the subject.

Should it have been sent? Well, I had been leaning to the view that it was a waste of ink and paper, but seeing as how it has driven all the usual suspects on here absolutely crackers, perhaps it served a purpose after all.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?

Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    Certainly Frederick, a point that Voltaire loved to emphasise.

You don't have a problem with 20,000 avoidable deaths caused by the current government, so it's a bit late to be reaching for the sal volatile over a letter.
    'Avoidable' with perfect foresight and / or a time-machine perhaps. Where did you buy yours? I'd like one in chrome.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

And then of course - if it does look remotely close - he will claim electoral fraud against him and refuse to concede.

I really don't think this would happen. He might make some noise about it being illegitimate (in fact I'm sure it'd feature somewhere in his rambling at some point), but I don't see him making any serious attempt to remain in power.
    What happens next?

I would like to see Trump prosecuted for misconduct in office and imprisoned for a serious stretch, not on vindictive grounds but to put down a marker for his successors that presidential actions have consequences. I imagine others feel the same. How does this affect his next move in the event he loses in November?
    Jail is what I'd like to see for him too. Necessary to drain the swamp. 50/50 chance?

If not, I expect he will seek to retain his "movement" by fostering a romantic grievance narrative - "the night they drove ole trumpy down" type thing - and of course monetize monetize monetize to a level that makes Tony Blair look like a hairshirt benedictine monk.
    Guido fawkes is going on about some polling for the Welsh assembly showing the Brexit Party (who?) ahead of the lib dems.

Pulpstar said:

Its the zooming in on an Asian man implying a link which was racist and in poor taste. At the time there were racist attacks on those of Chinese etc ethnicity.
    ok Well that makes a bit more sense - Had no idea the chap he was zooming in on was chinese with all the blurring.

tlg86 said:

Good try sir!

'It's brave, minister....'
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

My point entirely.

Guido fawkes is going on about some polling for the Welsh assembly showing the Brexit Party (who?) ahead of the lib dems.

Lib dems, who?
    edited June 2020
    England Case data out - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Headline number - 1266 for the UK

My graphs - by specimen date

Donald's done a profundity. It's someone else's profundity and upper case for extra profoundness, but maybe it means he's read a book.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1271082251791499267?s=20

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

ydoethur said:

I think that was twattishly stupid yes, not maliciously nasty. Not saying that's any better.
    The treatment of fellow MPs this last couple of weeks can only be described as nasty. Whether it was malicious or just driven by an obsession with primitve and barbaric procedures that were just about OK when Cromwell was dug up and hung at Tyburn is a good question.

"Being a person of colour does not automatically make Naz Shah an authority on all forms of racism."

'Avoidable' with perfect foresight and / or a time-machine perhaps. Where did you buy yours? I'd like one in chrome.
    As @Pulpstar mentioned this morning, he and I exchanged private messages on 12 March expressing deep concern at the failure to lock down (all credit to him, he was more assertive on the subject than I was).

Now if this was a judgement call that we could both make on publicly available information on 12 March, there really was no excuse for the government waiting as many as 11 long days after that before taking that step, a step that many governments had taken well before that point far earlier in the epidemic cycle.

The question you never ask yourself, because you are slavishly loyal to a government that was scandalously negligent despite the many thousands of deaths that it caused, is why Britain has done so terribly badly when it had many advantages that should have meant that it did particularly well.
    You can count on the Costa Del Geriatrica to want to re-enact the siege of Mafeking.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Pulpstar said:

Was King Billy gay ?
    What's more, I believe, he bought Colston's share in the West Africa Company.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    edited June 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

My point entirely.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/8022105567495839/

There's lots
    edited June 2020

ydoethur said:

Mogg does not come across to me as a particularly nice person. His much vaunted and ridiculously exaggerated "politeness" hits my ear as supercilious and consciously stylized. Adopted to lecture and intimidate rather than to be pleasant.

This is my genuine take. It's not because he's posh or a Tory. I could name some posh Tories who I sense are quite nice people.

As @Pulpstar mentioned this morning, he and I exchanged private messages on 12 March expressing deep concern at the failure to lock down (all credit to him, he was more assertive on the subject than I was).

Now if this was a judgement call that we could both make on publicly available information on 12 March, there really was no excuse for the government waiting as many as 11 long days after that before taking that step, a step that many governments had taken well before that point far earlier in the epidemic cycle.

The question you never ask yourself, because you are slavishly loyal to a government that was scandalously negligent despite the many thousands of deaths that it caused, is why Britain has done so terribly badly when it had many advantages that should have meant that it did particularly well.
    Spot on.

An earlier lockdown was an obvious step, even through simply observing the acts and experiences of our international peers.

The faffing around at the start was idiotic.

And yes the evidence was there, and the posts on PB prove it – just read back.

Andrew said:

Which is why we end up back with the 7 day average. At least that is not trying find a curve that fits the data - an exercise which all to often ends up in "pick the curve I like, that kind'a fits the data"...
    I'd use a constrained regularisation on an exponential decay to get a range of likely values of R.

But I would say that, wouldn't I?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Pulpstar said:

Has she ever claimed to ?
    I don't think Labour MPs can speak for everyone from a BAME background either. I doubt very much the BAME residents on my parent's street voted for Sultana for instance.
    I suggest the 'social' experience of educated, reasonably well-off Asians may be different from that of Afro-Caribbeans.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

dr_spyn said:

PB ahead of the curve.

One thing I loathe about PB is the false equivalence between Biden and Trump.

One is an odious white supremacist moron, and the other a slightly doddery old bruiser who was VP in one the most successful US administrations of modern times.

Give over with 'plague on both their houses' stuff. It's risible.
    I'm unconvinced that Biden is a good choice for The Democrats. What strikes me about him is the phrase about young cardinals voting for old popes. At best he appears to be a one term President. It begs the question why didn't he secure Obama's backing as Presidential Candidate 4 years ago.

As for Trump, I wonder about his judgement, mental capacity and health, he became President, and it is not something for the US to celebrate. I hope he loses, and loses badly.

This discussion has been closed.