Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another pollster has Johnson dropping sharply in its leader ra

Comments

• Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599

Pulpstar said:

Victoria's Secret going bust.

Was the pun intentional?
    The bottom's fallen out of the market.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Nigelb said:

Tim_B said:

BigRich said:

Has anybody else being following the US state of Georgia and its COVID states?

For background Georgia ended it Lock-down on 1st May, and replaced it with a stay-at-home-if-venerable. People there started to return to closer to normality, slowly at first but more so over time.

the number of recorded cases was on a downwind trend, that continued for a few days before 'bottoming out' on 9th May, and then increased to a second peak on the 19 may and has since then desecrated.

Deaths, meanwhile have continued to decline steadily.

My take,:

1) There was a second wave, but much smaller than most were expecting because they got to the new heard immunity quickly.

2) by keeping the venerable at home, they have largely avoided infection and thus the death rate has not been affected, at lest not significantly.

Caveats:

a) The increase in testing may account for some of the second wave.

b) There is both a delay between infection and death and death to reporting. but I still think if there was going to be a second big wave of deaths there would be some indication in the statistics by now.

Link:

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

I live in Georgia. For the first few days of openness it was a bit like waking from hibernation, and vaguely disbelieving it was actually happening, and the novelty of it.
    How significant are the differences in behaviour post lockdown ?
    (For instance do people generally wear masks indoors; maintain distance etc ?)
    People are cautiously getting back to normal. Consensus is that social distancing is going to be with us until the covid-19 threat is removed. Masks are still being worn.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,009
    Sandpit said:

Preliminary research from Hong Kong found that around 20 per cent of COVID-19 sufferers are highly infectious, and responsible for 80 per cent of all transmissions.

However, 70 per cent of people infected with the virus do not pass it on to anyone else.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8391767/Super-spreaders-fuelling-coronavirus-pandemic.html

So, what is it that makes the highly-infection people highly-infectious - or is it that everyone is highly-infectious for a short time, so where you happen to be during that short time is more important?

The answers to questions like these determine how quickly the world can recover.
    Indeed. They get to the heart of it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

Preliminary research from Hong Kong found that around 20 per cent of COVID-19 sufferers are highly infectious, and responsible for 80 per cent of all transmissions.

However, 70 per cent of people infected with the virus do not pass it on to anyone else.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8391767/Super-spreaders-fuelling-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Seems to fit with the anecdotal examples (the club in Seoul, the festival in Germany, the barman in the Italian alps).

How do we identify and isolate the super-spreaders?
    It seems to be super-spreader events, rather than people who are intrinsically more contagious, if I'm reading it correctly. So it requires controls or bans on things like choirs, crowded noisy bars, etc.
    Yes, that might be right. Makes sense.
    Australia just banned BLM protests
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Those of us (i.e. almost everyone on PB) who can't let themselves hope too much that Trump will lose should look away now

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/04/politics/electoral-map-2020-election-donald-trump-joe-biden/index.html

Chris Cillizza :/

He's like the Dan Hodges of US politics.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

Considering Boris negotiated what I always said he should negotiate in my discussions with you, why is that spin?

Because he said that no British Prime Minister should ever do it and then did it. He caved. And it was a victory. For the EU (and some Irish republicans).

Does the fact that he did something he said he wouldn't do really fill you with confidence that he is the right man for the job?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219
    SandraMc said:

Pulpstar said:

Victoria's Secret going bust.

Was the pun intentional?
    The bottom's fallen out of the market.
    It's gone t**s up?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

This is a new one, I've got to say. It's a bit related to Number 5, but the contention that Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes are so intrinsically different as to have a variation of ten times in their vulnerability to this virus (rather than the difference being explained by Norwegians and Danes being less exposed to infection than Swedes) has got to be worth its own entry.

No-one is saying that. You've misunderstood Karl Friston's point, which is that as well as degree of lockdown and other known knowns (demographics etc), there seems to be an additional, unknown factor acting. As well as, not instead of.

Dunno if he's right, but prima facie the anomalously low Case Fatality Rate in Germany looks like a pretty strong indication that he might be. It looks too big an anomaly to be explained simply by the fact that they've done more tests than anywhere else (especially since they haven't!).
    Germany were doing a lot more tests in the early stages. I think this helped them to control the size of their outbreak, and means that they've probably identified a greater proportion of the people who have been infected with the virus - and hence a lower CFR (although I think another factor compared to the UK is that they've longer after cases isolating at home better than the UK, so hospitalised them before they were too sick to be saved with hospital treatment - that may explain the slightly high PHE estimate of IFR).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,219

Seems to fit with the anecdotal examples (the club in Seoul, the festival in Germany, the barman in the Italian alps).

It seems to be super-spreader events, rather than people who are intrinsically more contagious, if I'm reading it correctly. So it requires controls or bans on things like choirs, crowded noisy bars, etc.
    On ideological or public health grounds?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Scott_xP said:
    So the positive test rate is barely 1% yet the R figure is above 1
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Tim_B said:

Nigelb said:

Tim_B said:

BigRich said:

Has anybody else being following the US state of Georgia and its COVID states?

For background Georgia ended it Lock-down on 1st May, and replaced it with a stay-at-home-if-venerable. People there started to return to closer to normality, slowly at first but more so over time.

the number of recorded cases was on a downwind trend, that continued for a few days before 'bottoming out' on 9th May, and then increased to a second peak on the 19 may and has since then desecrated.

Deaths, meanwhile have continued to decline steadily.

My take,:

1) There was a second wave, but much smaller than most were expecting because they got to the new heard immunity quickly.

2) by keeping the venerable at home, they have largely avoided infection and thus the death rate has not been affected, at lest not significantly.

Caveats:

a) The increase in testing may account for some of the second wave.

b) There is both a delay between infection and death and death to reporting. but I still think if there was going to be a second big wave of deaths there would be some indication in the statistics by now.

Link:

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

I live in Georgia. For the first few days of openness it was a bit like waking from hibernation, and vaguely disbelieving it was actually happening, and the novelty of it.
    How significant are the differences in behaviour post lockdown ?
    (For instance do people generally wear masks indoors; maintain distance etc ?)
    People are cautiously getting back to normal. Consensus is that social distancing is going to be with us until the covid-19 threat is removed. Masks are still being worn.
    Interesting; thanks.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited June 2020

Scott_xP said:
    So the positive test rate is barely 1% yet the R figure is above 1
    Perfectly possible. R is the inverse of the [edit] ratio of existing cases to those infected by them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2020
    The petition (signed by a million people) seeks justice for the family of Ms Mujinga, and her husband Lusamba thanked those who have signed it, saying they had been on a "rollercoaster of emotions".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-52938155

Justice for what? The individual didn't have COVID, so isn't responsible for her death. That is how justice works, you charge people based upon evidence.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942

Phil said:

BigRich said:

Andrew said:

Cambridge/PHE estimate for IFR is 0.88% [0.77%-1.00%]. Nasty.

Estimating 10% of England have had it, 17% in London, down to just 4% in the SW.

in the USA the CDC is estimating 0.4% quite a lot less, but with a lot of varance depending on age, 1.3% for the over 65s 0.05% for the under 50s

https://reason.com/2020/05/24/the-cdcs-new-best-estimate-implies-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-below-0-3/
    The variance by age is absolutely massive, everywhere. It's fairly dangerous for the over 70s, falling to extremely safe for the under 20s, with scale of risk that ramps up quickly past age 60 or so.
    The quote I’ve seen is that, for adults, whatever your risk of dying was in a given year, catching Covid-19 roughly doubles that.
    Citation required!
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

I don't find many PBers advocating many/any of these.

What I do find is people that are trying to debate interesting ideas for getting us out of this are often sidelined.

Yet ideas are what will get us out. Not clear to me why even suggesting things is so unpopular.

Nothing wrong with ideas.
    Here's another set, some of which you might well agree with:
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/05/how-world-can-avoid-screwing-covid-19-response-again/

I think what Andy was objecting to was the tendency to magical thinking.
    If those arguing for rapid return to normal life at the same time accepted (for instance) the desirability of universal masking as a precaution, I would be more convinced by their arguments.

I am not enjoying the current restrictions either. It's possible that they could cost me my business - but a major recurrence in the autumn would be even more likely to do so.
    It is.
    There is a fast conflation of "xxx may" to "xxx does" to "We must immediately change to act as if xxx is true" as long as it frees up the person suggesting it from the restrictions.

Stuff from Alistair Haimes subscribing to the first two rationalisations were frequently posted in the early days of this to prove that no lockdown was necessary.

Thank Christ no-one in authority listened.

I've been suggesting areas to lift for literally months, so I'm obviously not against targeted lifting of restrictions (insert my tired "low hanging fruit" saying here).
    However, a lot of the time, many suggestions from a number of people have so tinged with wanting to believe it's all gone away - either for everyone or for oneself - that it damages credibility and gets filtered out.

@Richard_Nabavi - I've gone on the commentary posted here by the advocates of "just lift lockdown now" and the claim that:

"- The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations"

"- The similar mortality results between Sweden (no lockdown) and the UK (lockdown) are best explained by the fact that in reality there was no difference - the impact of the legal lockdown in Professor Friston's models "literally goes away"."

... which doesn't match up with "No-one is saying that. You've misunderstood Karl Friston's point, which is that as well as degree of lockdown and other known knowns (demographics etc), there seems to be an additional, unknown factor acting. As well as, not instead of."

I'm very agreeable to the latter. The comments by which Friston's views were led didn't remotely suggest that.
    And I don't have spare half-hours to watch everything that's posted here; I wasted quite a bit of time on going through a posted video interview with a Swedish epidemiologist that provided zero extra illumination, so I'd rather not do so all the time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Is anyone watching Trump, live on Sky at the moment? What a rambling incompetent, incoherent fool.

Currently ranting about how he knows stocks better than Warren Buffet.

You'll be approaching my level of Trumpophobia at this rate, Philip. And I hope you make it. :smile:
    I'm past your level.

You're willing to relax and take on faith that Trump will be defeated in November. My level of loathing for Trump is so far past that, that even if he were polling 25% in the polls I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Like a monster in a horror movie, we can't turn our back and assume he won't revive, we need to see this atrocity metaphorically get a stake through the heart, be burnt to dust, whatever it takes.
    Woo. Nice one.

But to clarify, I'm not relaxed about WH2020, far from it. Until the results are in I will be nervous. But I just have a feeling close to certainty that Trump will not be re-elected. I can intellectualize it with analytical arguments - and have done so once or twice - but this would be to not quite do it justice. It's a "big picture" intuition of the sort I get from time to time and which, when I do, I have learned to trust. My last 2 were that there would under no circumstances be a Ref2 on Brexit and that there would be a Con landslide on Dec 12th. So, you know - #trumptoast.

And my bias btw is in the other direction. Since I simply cannot bear the thought of him winning again, the dark pessimist in me seeks to find reasons that he will. Indeed I backed him to win in 2016 at 4/1 for partly this amateur and reprehensible "emotional hedge" reason, as well as genuinely thinking it was the value bet. Yet this time, despite this bias, I "know" he will lose. That is a measure of how confident I am.

But not relaxed. Not one iota relaxed. It means more to me that he is defeated than anything in my life right now, bar the obvious caveats.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Public health, breaks COVID19 regulations.
  • Options

Large crowds with lots of screaming and shouting .....erhhh.. protests....
    A bit of foresight and discipline could have resulted in a silent protest that would still have been striking and a lot less risky. Barnard Castle thinking from all concerned.
  • Options

Is anyone watching Trump, live on Sky at the moment? What a rambling incompetent, incoherent fool.

Listening now.
    Just a stream of utter nonsense.
  • Options

Public health of course
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The Dow is up almost 1k points so far today
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Start with the certainty that "I must be allowed to be free of these restrictions."
    Rationalise it any way you can:

Rationalisation 1: There isn't a problem. The death rate hasn't even increased! Cite ONS stats that haven't yet been updated
    Rationalisation 2: There is a problem, but it's only killing those at death's door - those who "should" have died already. Cite the stats showing that we had a better-than-usual winter for deaths and indicate that these deaths are just a bit of "catching up" (Variant - those who died were due to die very soon anyway, very sad, never mind; ignore that the median expectancy for those dead was well over a decade)
    Rationalisation 3: There is a problem, but lockdown's not helping. Cite the fact that we've been locked down for several days already and the death rate hasn't come down yet
    Rationalisation 4: There is a problem, but lockdown didn't help. Switch instantly from "the death rate hasn't decreased yet; it would have done if lockdown helped" to "the death rate decreased too quickly for it to be lockdown." Ignore any discrepancy
    Rationalisation 5: There is a problem, but we could cope without lockdown. Cite Sweden. Ignore the differential death rate between it and its neighbours and insist that the only possible influence on the death rate is the lockdown and ignore all the other factors that influence infectivity and transmission (population density in urban areas, transport, connectivity, culture, environment).
    Rationalisation 6: There was a problem but it's all over. Cite a lone authority to claim that the death rate is one in ten thousand without bothering to work out that this means the death toll would have spiked at 6,700 in the UK.
    Rationalisation 7: There is/was a problem, but it's confined to oldies and fatties and the ill. Cite the death rate; gloss over hospitalisations and intensive care. Ignore that many younger, fitter, and healthier people get very ill but recover thanks to hospital help; imply that whatever demographic I am in is all-but-immune to this. Insist that this means that my demographic should be completely freed; ignore or gloss over both the issues of protecting the more vulnerable from me infecting them and killing them, or the potential problems of all my demographic getting ill and overwhelming the NHS.

We don't see Number 1 that often these days, but it was by far the most common early on.

This is a new one, I've got to say. It's a bit related to Number 5, but the contention that Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes are so intrinsically different as to have a variation of ten times in their vulnerability to this virus (rather than the difference being explained by Norwegians and Danes being less exposed to infection than Swedes) has got to be worth its own entry.

I’d have more respect for the people doing this if they just admitted that it’s down to it being what they want to do with everything else as a post hoc justification that they’ve cobbled together by ignoring the above.

Anyway, I remain teaching online, so not much time to post. School thinks it’s too risky (and, I imagine, economically difficult) to open until September.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942
    Phil said:

Phil said:

BigRich said:

Andrew said:

Estimating 10% of England have had it, 17% in London, down to just 4% in the SW.

in the USA the CDC is estimating 0.4% quite a lot less, but with a lot of varance depending on age, 1.3% for the over 65s 0.05% for the under 50s

https://reason.com/2020/05/24/the-cdcs-new-best-estimate-implies-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-below-0-3/
    The variance by age is absolutely massive, everywhere. It's fairly dangerous for the over 70s, falling to extremely safe for the under 20s, with scale of risk that ramps up quickly past age 60 or so.
    The quote I’ve seen is that, for adults, whatever your risk of dying was in a given year, catching Covid-19 roughly doubles that.
    Citation required!
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196
    See also, his follow up articles:

"Does Covid raise everyone’s relative risk of dying by a similar amount? More evidence."
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/does-covid-raise-everyones-relative-risk-of-dying-by-a-similar-amount-more-evidence-e7d30abf6821
    and
    "What are the risks of COVID? And what is meant by ‘the risks of COVID’?"
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/what-are-the-risks-of-covid-and-what-is-meant-by-the-risks-of-covid-c828695aea69
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

Listening now.
    Just a stream of utter nonsense.
    Time to put serious money on the table to lay (bet against) Trump in November?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,128

kinabalu said:

You'll be approaching my level of Trumpophobia at this rate, Philip. And I hope you make it. :smile:
    I'm past your level.

You're willing to relax and take on faith that Trump will be defeated in November. My level of loathing for Trump is so far past that, that even if he were polling 25% in the polls I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Like a monster in a horror movie, we can't turn our back and assume he won't revive, we need to see this atrocity metaphorically get a stake through the heart, be burnt to dust, whatever it takes.
    Does it have to be metaphorical?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I don't find many PBers advocating many/any of these.

What I do find is people that are trying to debate interesting ideas for getting us out of this are often sidelined.

Yet ideas are what will get us out. Not clear to me why even suggesting things is so unpopular.

Nothing wrong with ideas.
    Here's another set, some of which you might well agree with:
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/05/how-world-can-avoid-screwing-covid-19-response-again/

I think what Andy was objecting to was the tendency to magical thinking.
    If those arguing for rapid return to normal life at the same time accepted (for instance) the desirability of universal masking as a precaution, I would be more convinced by their arguments.

I am not enjoying the current restrictions either. It's possible that they could cost me my business - but a major recurrence in the autumn would be even more likely to do so.
    It is.
    There is a fast conflation of "xxx may" to "xxx does" to "We must immediately change to act as if xxx is true" as long as it frees up the person suggesting it from the restrictions.

Stuff from Alistair Haimes subscribing to the first two rationalisations were frequently posted in the early days of this to prove that no lockdown was necessary.

Thank Christ no-one in authority listened.

I've been suggesting areas to lift for literally months, so I'm obviously not against targeted lifting of restrictions (insert my tired "low hanging fruit" saying here).
    However, a lot of the time, many suggestions from a number of people have so tinged with wanting to believe it's all gone away - either for everyone or for oneself - that it damages credibility and gets filtered out.

@Richard_Nabavi - I've gone on the commentary posted here by the advocates of "just lift lockdown now" and the claim that:

"- The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations"

"- The similar mortality results between Sweden (no lockdown) and the UK (lockdown) are best explained by the fact that in reality there was no difference - the impact of the legal lockdown in Professor Friston's models "literally goes away"."

... which doesn't match up with "No-one is saying that. You've misunderstood Karl Friston's point, which is that as well as degree of lockdown and other known knowns (demographics etc), there seems to be an additional, unknown factor acting. As well as, not instead of."

I'm very agreeable to the latter. The comments by which Friston's views were led didn't remotely suggest that.
    And I don't have spare half-hours to watch everything that's posted here; I wasted quite a bit of time on going through a posted video interview with a Swedish epidemiologist that provided zero extra illumination, so I'd rather not do so all the time.
    I've been wondering for some time if, when thinking about the virus, some people suffer from the same kind of fallacy as the late 19th century evolutionists after Darwin who wouldn't accept natural selection and assumed that there was some sort of momentum in the evolutionary trjectory, inevitable racial senescence in dinosaurs/White Man, etc.

They give me the impression of thinking that the curve in cases up and downward is somehow immutable and will just keep on going, to use a Brexiter patriotic metaphor like as V-1 whose engine has cut otu, or a V-2 post-boost phase.

But in reality the virus is like a snake with the lockdown boot on its neck - opr a fire with the fire blanket on it - the moment you release that it will metaphorically flare up agin in any way it can percolate through the different communities, just by reproducing as best it can. I'm wondering if we are seeing this release in England right now with the R up to 1.

And, like any good Darwinian organism, it will evolve increased or decreased lethality just as natural selection pressures dictate, whatever they are (including himan interventions) - this cannot be predicted easily.

• Options
    Phil said:

kinabalu said:

I'm past your level.

Agreed. Trump is a danger to everyone: He’s perfectly capable of accidentally triggerring WWIII through shear incompetence & he’s going to cling on to power with every last breath. Until he’s been booted out of the presidency into orbit none of us are safe.
    I'd say he is capable of deliberately starting a war if he thought it would play for him in November.

I also expect him to (i) try and fix the election and (ii) when he loses claim it was fraudulent and not concede.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Considering Boris negotiated what I always said he should negotiate in my discussions with you, why is that spin?

Because he said that no British Prime Minister should ever do it and then did it. He caved. And it was a victory. For the EU (and some Irish republicans).

Does the fact that he did something he said he wouldn't do really fill you with confidence that he is the right man for the job?
    Yes because I see a difference between what he said he wouldn't do and what he did. Even if you can't see it, I do.

Furthermore and more important to me, he did what I said he should do, and what I said repeatedly to you when she was PM that May should do and as a result I completely and wholeheartedly approve.

Call me selfish but I'm even more keen on politicians doing what I think they should ...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I'm past your level.

I'd be worried about the banhammer if I suggested literal . . .
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kamski said:

Actually he said that Germany's low rate (of infections and deaths, rather than specifically CFR) is not due to superior testing. Logic suggests that it is surely at least partly due to that.

And surely it makes more sense to compare Sweden with its neighbours before deciding that lockdown has no effect?

And does Germany have an anomalously low CFR? There are loads of countries with similar or lower CFRs.

If you want to compare the UK and Germany, it looks like the main reason why there are more deaths in the UK is because more people were infected.

1. No-one (or at least no-one sane) is saying lockdown has no effect. Of course if you confine the entire population to house arrest so they don't interact, a contagious disease is not going to spread much for the duration of that lockdown. No-one disputes that.

2. It is perfectly possible that Sweden has a much higher death rate than Norway principally because of the differences in degree of lockdown, AND that the CFR in Germany is anomalously low compared with the UK, France, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands. They are completely independent points.

3. Yes, Germany does have an anomalously low CFR - less than half or even a third of that of comparable Western European countries. Might this be explained purely by the fact that they tested many more asymptomatic people? Maybe, but it's a hell of a large effect, especially since they haven't tested a particularly large number of people.

4. It is also perfectly possible that the low incidence of cases in Germany compared with the Netherlands, France and Italy is not fully explained by the differences in lockdown or in the effectiveness of the test-and-trace.

Friston's point is that he's done the maths, and the identifiable factors aren't the whole explanation of the differences. I don't know if he's right, but hand-waving doesn't show he's wrong.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,981

I see a difference between what he said he wouldn't do and what he did.

He said he wouldn't put a border in the Irish Sea.

And then he did put a border in the Irish Sea.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Phil said:

BigRich said:

Andrew said:

Citation required!
    See also, his follow up articles:

"Does Covid raise everyone’s relative risk of dying by a similar amount? More evidence."
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/does-covid-raise-everyones-relative-risk-of-dying-by-a-similar-amount-more-evidence-e7d30abf6821
    and
    "What are the risks of COVID? And what is meant by ‘the risks of COVID’?"
    https://medium.com/wintoncentre/what-are-the-risks-of-covid-and-what-is-meant-by-the-risks-of-covid-c828695aea69
    Thank you for those. Most interesting.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I thought we had all made it
    Sadly not the case @Big_G_NorthWales.

We still have a handful of posters who admit to wanting him to win. Plus some who secretly do (I know who they are). Plus those who still wibble on about what a terrible choice it is, him or Biden, as if there is an equivalence there.

But you are solid enough on the matter, I sense. Which is all you can be.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

kamski said:

Actually he said that Germany's low rate (of infections and deaths, rather than specifically CFR) is not due to superior testing. Logic suggests that it is surely at least partly due to that.

And surely it makes more sense to compare Sweden with its neighbours before deciding that lockdown has no effect?

And does Germany have an anomalously low CFR? There are loads of countries with similar or lower CFRs.

If you want to compare the UK and Germany, it looks like the main reason why there are more deaths in the UK is because more people were infected.

1. No-one (or at least no-one sane) is saying lockdown has no effect. Of course if you confine the entire population to house arrest so they don't interact, a contagious disease is not going to spread much for the duration of that lockdown. No-one disputes that.

2. It is perfectly possible that Sweden has a much higher death rate than Norway principally because of the differences in degree of lockdown, AND that the CFR in Germany is anomalously low compared with the UK, France, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands. They are completely independent points.

3. Yes, Germany does have an anomalously low CFR - less than half or even a third of that of comparable Western European countries. Might this be explained purely by the fact that they tested many more asymptomatic people? Maybe, but it's a hell of a large effect, especially since they haven't tested a particularly large number of people.

4. It is also perfectly possible that the low incidence of cases in Germany compared with the Netherlands, France and Italy is not fully explained by the differences in lockdown or in the effectiveness of the test-and-trace.

Friston's point is that he's done the maths, and the identifiable factors aren't the whole explanation of the differences. I don't know if he's right, but hand-waving doesn't show he's wrong.

I would have thought that it's pretty obvious that there's a lot about this disease that is not understood. Yet it's surprising how few are prepared to acknowledge that.

There are a lot of people coming with their own angle and presenting it as irrefutably correct on skimpy data. A few more scientists saying "we don't know enough to be sure" would be welcome just now.
  • Options

God Trump is still going.

That's right. He is. Not so long to wait now. :smile:
  • Options
    This is a quite astonishing article on the bewildering array of federal police agencies in the US:

The Story Behind Bill Barr’s Unmarked Federal Agents
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/05/protests-washington-dc-federal-agents-law-enforcement-302551
    ...Concerningly, under the Trump administration, many of these agencies have been rudderless—overseen by rotating series of acting officials. More than half of all federal civilian law enforcement right now is being led by temporary acting officials, everything from ICE and CBP to DEA. (That calculation doesn’t even count the thousands of special agents in inspectors general offices that have recently seen an administrationwide purge of the government’s watchdogs.) The Bureau of Prisons was being overseen by an acting director last summer when Jeffrey Epstein managed to commit suicide while supposedly under strict monitoring. The DEA, with its special temporary powers for the protests, is currently led by an acting administrator who has been on the job for just days.

Such leadership voids are not solely a recent problem of the Trump administration: Thanks to pressure from the National Rifle Association on Republican lawmakers about the agency’s firearms investigations, the ATF has had a Senate-confirmed director for a total of only two years since 2003. Last month, the Trump administration withdrew its most recent nominee to be ATF director, Chuck Canterbury, a former police union leader who had been deemed by Republican senators as too liberal on guns. (Yes, you read that right: The former head of the Fraternal Order of Police was considered too liberal for the GOP.)

The proliferation of federal officers across government—and the proliferation of watchdogs watching those government agencies—means that you might one day be woken up by a SWAT team-style raid by the Department of Education or the EPA. And the number keeps growing: Congress was surprised when the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction—known as SIGAR—began procuring its own ammunition, flashing lights and body armor for its special agents. Just like its laws, there are too many federal agents for the government to keep track of.

The Covid-19 pandemic has even spawned what will apparently be the nation’s newest federal investigator: The Senate confirmed on Tuesday a special inspector general to oversee the $500 billion pandemic recovery spending. He, presumably, will be recruiting his own agents and equipment soon....
  • Options
    That's a really clever idea. It allows for a transition without calling it a transition, provides political cover for Boris, and best of all allows the whole self-harm nonsense to be quietly forgotten by some future British government.

I rather suspect the Brexiteer loons won't fall for it though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Pareto Principle.
  • Options
    Oh no, so when we ask for less they respond they are only able to give us what we originally asked for?

How are we going to live with that. Calling the EUs bluff was a brilliant move.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

We still have a handful of posters who admit to wanting him to win. Plus some who secretly do (I know who they are). Plus those who still wibble on about what a terrible choice it is, him or Biden, as if there is an equivalence there.

I personally think it is a godawful choice between Trump and Biden (who I personally view as having clear signs of the onset of dementia). I would like to know who Biden's Veep pick is, as they are likely to be taking over as acting President IMHO.

But that November ballot paper is dreadful. If that is indeed how it stays.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I'm past your level.

In the interests of maintaining the rule of law, of course.

Though I hold out some hope of an orange jumpsuit in his future.
  • Options

That's a really clever idea. It allows for a transition without calling it a transition, provides political cover for Boris, and best of all allows the whole self-harm nonsense to be quietly forgotten by some future British government.

Its likely not a transition, just a face-saving way for the EU to climbdown.

They can drop their onerous LPF demands on the basis that in the future there might be tariffs/quotas, while agreeing to a deal now. Then in reality the subtractions will probably never even happen since its not in anyone's interest to do so, but the EU have saved face on the reason they've caved on their original LPF demands.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Trump is a disaster for everything that is decent in the world
  • Options

They can drop their onerous LPF demands on the basis that in the future there might be tariffs/quotas, while agreeing to a deal now. Then in reality the subtractions will probably never even happen since its not in anyone's interest to do so, but the EU have saved face on the reason they've caved on their original LPF demands.
    Ha! So it might work on giving Boris the political cover he needs.
  • Options

Cummings dare I suggest
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Ha! So it might work on giving Boris the political cover he needs.

Very well played, sir!

• Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I personally think it is a godawful choice between Trump and Biden (who I personally view as having clear signs of the onset of dementia). I would like to know who Biden's Veep pick is, as they are likely to be taking over as acting President IMHO.

But that November ballot paper is dreadful. If that is indeed how it stays.
    Harris, I reckon.

Not an inspiring choice, no. But an easy one. Not about left v right or parties either. I can tell you this with no word of a lie - if a "Trump" as he is but now a left wing Dem was up against a "Biden" as he is but now a right wing Republican, I would vote Republican without a moment's hesitation. I cannot for the life of me understand or even empathize with anybody over here who does not feel the same.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    The scientific paper that reported Trump's preferred drug for treating coronavirus was deadly looks like it was cobbled together with bogus data.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/mysterious-company-s-coronavirus-papers-top-medical-journals-may-be-unraveling

A lot of trials were halted on the back of that report.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    Regarding the thread, it is surely significant that Labour are now in the position of not only having the more favourably regarded leader (net +12% Starmer v -4% Johnson) but also being the more favourably (or at least less unfavourably) regarded party (net -8% compared to -11%). Starmer's lead is by no predictable if still unusual, but the recovery in attitudes to Labour as a party is something new. Labour had a net unfavourability rating of -26% as a party back in March.

Unfortunately, Ipsos Mori haven't published a voting intention poll since March. Given Labour's lead in both favourability ratings, it would be interesting to see whether Ipsos Mori are still showing them ahead in VI.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

kamski said:

We literally had it introduced here with someone posting a summary point that:
    "- The similar mortality results between Sweden (no lockdown) and the UK (lockdown) are best explained by the fact that in reality there was no difference - the impact of the legal lockdown in Professor Friston's models "literally goes away"
    I completely believe your representation. But there are a significant number of people out there who believe (or advocate that they believe) that the lockdowns have no effect or benefit. A quick google of that phrase (in quotes) comes up with plenty of results, including from fairly mainstream publications.

It's that take on it that raises my hackles. Not people suggesting there a a bunch of unknowns. I've said so myself.
    It's the people suggesting that unknowns may help and instantly advocating that we act as though these unknowns are certainly true and make other precautions immediately unnecessary.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Scott_xP said:

You don't understand. This is great because Philip wanted him to go back on his word so all is good. Couldn't get a better Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Sky News just interviewed Andy Burnham about the Cambridge University / Public Health England regional R stats that show the North West possibly above 1 with a figure of 1.01 provided.

Thought this was not meant to happen?

Was the relaxation policy based on what was best for London and not the rest of the country by any chance?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Everywhere around us builders are at work, gardeners and painters working outside, the weekly recycling being collected, the parks grass being cut, meals being delivered, lots of people on the promenades eating ice cream or fish and chips, even if the seagulls have other ideas

Activity returning . Lets hope we see it in improved figures and employment
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    kinabalu said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

I'm past your level.

Agreed. Trump is a danger to everyone: He’s perfectly capable of accidentally triggerring WWIII through shear incompetence & he’s going to cling on to power with every last breath. Until he’s been booted out of the presidency into orbit none of us are safe.
    I'd say he is capable of deliberately starting a war if he thought it would play for him in November.

I also expect him to (i) try and fix the election and (ii) when he loses claim it was fraudulent and not concede.
    I can see him being frog marched out of the Oval Office by a SWAT team.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_xP said:
    Seeing a potential second wave is maybe a few months away, lets hope for something quicker than 'calling for an inquiry'.
  • Options

Sky News just interviewed Andy Burnham about the Cambridge University / Public Health England regional R stats that show the North West possibly above 1 with a figure of 1.01 provided.

Was the relaxation policy based on what was best for London and not the rest of the country by any chance?

It's definitely time to get the face masks out on the Manchester trams.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Seeing a potential second wave is maybe a few months away, lets hope for something quicker than 'calling for an inquiry'.
    I'm very hopeful that the 20-minute antigen test that was put into trials a couple of weeks ago may be proven and widely available by then. They were forecasting 6 weeks for trials; we're a third of the way into that, so it could be available by July.

If it can be made effectively self-contained and easily usable, and made widely available, it's an instant game-changer for any waves - whether the remnant of the first wave or any incipient second or subsequent waves.
  • Options
    Latest data on reported cases shows a small uptick in R.

This is R on 30th May (last Saturday) and reflects behaviour and initial infection around 23rd May (allowing for incubation period).

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

Everywhere around us builders are at work, gardeners and painters working outside, the weekly recycling being collected, the parks grass being cut, meals being delivered, lots of people on the promenades eating ice cream or fish and chips, even if the seagulls have other ideas

It's hailstoning here. So quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

Scott_xP said:
    I think the second wave will turn out to be like the millennium bug.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

I'm past your level.

Yep. Or medicated and transported horizontal to a room in Trump Tower.

It will be interesting how he plays things post office (assuming no jail). Monetize monetize monetize, I guess.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

You don't understand. This is great because Philip wanted him to go back on his word so all is good. Couldn't get a better Prime Minister.
    To be fair, Johnson hasn't actually put a border in the Irish Sea yet, only agreed to the principle of it. He just needs to find a new way to capitulate to the EU to avoid the need for one.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I went running earlier and in the space of half an hour had freezing hail and bright sunshine.
  • Options

Doesn't it work quite well for Brexiters too?

We retain flexibility to change our rules, or reject a change to EU rules, but we don't have to pay for that flexibility with tariffs until we want to use it.
  • Options

SAGE still telling ministers it is between 0.7-0.9.

• Options

Oh no, so when we ask for less they respond they are only able to give us what we originally asked for?

You presumably don't read the Guardian so may have missed their write up from yesterday. It very much reads as though the EU leaders have blinked rather than continue to leave things to the dead hand of Barnier:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/04/eu-leaders-will-intervene-in-brexit-talks-in-autumn-says-german-official

"The signal that the EU’s 27 heads of state and government are prepared to turn their focus to the stalling talks will be a boost to Downing Street, where officials have emphasised the need for a resetting of Michel Barnier’s negotiating position."
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The amount of building work that seems to be being lined up just in my street judging by the planning applications might indicate a huge swing back for construction trades in next three months.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,480

Scott_xP said:
    You'd hope so, if only because the testing setup and knowledge base will be so much stronger than they were in March.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Not good news from Airbus.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/05/airbus-looks-to-cut-500-uk-jobs-as-orders-dry-up
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    edited June 2020

SAGE still telling ministers it is between 0.7-0.9.

Is that nationally or in the NW?
    Rightly or wrongly there is a perception we entered lockdown because the virus was rampant in London.
    And ended it because it was in steep decline in London.
  • Options
    Hancock warns against large gatherings
  • Options

You presumably don't read the Guardian so may have missed their write up from yesterday. It very much reads as though the EU leaders have blinked rather than continue to leave things to the dead hand of Barnier:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/04/eu-leaders-will-intervene-in-brexit-talks-in-autumn-says-german-official

"The signal that the EU’s 27 heads of state and government are prepared to turn their focus to the stalling talks will be a boost to Downing Street, where officials have emphasised the need for a resetting of Michel Barnier’s negotiating position."
    It reminds me of the reports we used to get about Merkel intervening on the Irish border question.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not good news from Airbus.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/05/airbus-looks-to-cut-500-uk-jobs-as-orders-dry-up
    As I have said before Airbus is likely to announce many thousands of job loses in the next few weeks

It is very serious
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    edited June 2020
    What's the best thing about the possibility of Trump loosing Texas? That it virtually guarantees he loses in November, or that TSE has to eat a pineapple pizza? :naughty:
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The amount of building work that seems to be being lined up just in my street judging by the planning applications might indicate a huge swing back for construction trades in next three months.
    The structural factor of more people spending more time at home ought to be a driver of more domestic construction.
  • Options

It reminds me of the reports we used to get about Merkel intervening on the Irish border question.
    You are going to be disappointed when she agrees a deal in September
  • Options
    Regional Difference in Seroprevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in Tokyo: Results from the community point-of-care antibody testing
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.03.20121020v1
    The serosurvey is an alternative way to know the magnitude of the population infected by coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) since the expansion of capacity of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to detect the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was delayed. We herein report seroprevalence of COVID-19 accessed in the two community clinics in Tokyo. The point-of-care immunodiagnostic test was implemented to detect the SARS-CoV-2 specific IgG antibody in the peripheral capillary blood. The overall positive percentage of SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibody is 3.83% (95% confidence interval: 2.76-5.16) for the entire cohort (n =1,071). The central Tokyo of 23 special wards exhibited a significantly higher prevalence compared to the other area of Tokyo (p =0.02, 4.68% [95%CI: 3.08-6.79] versus 1.83 [0.68-3.95] in central and suburban Tokyo, respectively). The seroprevalence of the cohort surveyed in this study is low for herd immunity, which suggests the need for robust disease control and prevention. A community-based approach, rather than state or prefectural levels, is of importance to figure out profiles of the SARS-COV-2 outbreak...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Been having another look - PHE model looks solid until end April, given the most recent ONS deaths figure from 22 days later, and if you accept their 0.88%IFR.

After that, we don't have the deaths to verify against, but PHE has the daily infection count almost flatlining, whereas hospital case data would suggest they continued to drop. Struggling to reconcile the two.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

I'm past your level.

Yep. Or medicated and transported horizontal to a room in Trump Tower.

It will be interesting how he plays things post office (assuming no jail). Monetize monetize monetize, I guess.
    Difficult if Vladimir calls in his loans.

Btw, any news of Vlad? Not got the virus, has he?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Mixed numbers:

New admissions to hospital up for 2nd day in a row.

But total number in hospital down again quite well.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

A bit of foresight and discipline could have resulted in a silent protest that would still have been striking and a lot less risky. Barnard Castle thinking from all concerned.
    I was thinking something similar the other day, watching the protests.

How powerful would it have been for the genuine BLM group protestors to take over somewhere like Hyde Park, standing (or kneeling) still in a 2m grid, for an hour or so?

That would have got everyone to notice them. Instead, their cause gets diluted by the idiots who cause trouble. The issue is that the group organising the protests are quite happy that the 'others' get involved, even if they can deny being involved in the bad side of the protests themselves.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It could be exactly like the Millennium Bug if it is prevented by the rapid test (and consequent self-isolation of a modest number of people) in that people will believe it was all a false fear, when it was prevented by specific actions taken in response to that fear.

But I'll take years of trying to correct that misconception over thousands of further deaths and another lockdown every day of the week.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Latest data on reported cases shows a small uptick in R.

This is R on 30th May (last Saturday) and reflects behaviour and initial infection around 23rd May (allowing for incubation period).

I have computed R for 3rd Jun. This will be an underestimate because the reported cases for the last few dates will be updated upwards.

England 0.65 (+0.07)
    London 0.80 (+0.21)

I have no doubt that R is increasing, particularly in London, (but still below 1).
  • Options

You are going to be disappointed when she agrees a deal in September
    My prediction is that there will be a repeat of what happened over the WA. Johnson will capitulate to the EU in such a way that he can pretend he has 'won'. Farage will point out that he capitulated, but because it will come at the end of a load of hysteria about No Deal, no-one will listen to him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Regarding the thread, it is surely significant that Labour are now in the position of not only having the more favourably regarded leader (net +12% Starmer v -4% Johnson) but also being the more favourably (or at least less unfavourably) regarded party (net -8% compared to -11%). Starmer's lead is by no predictable if still unusual, but the recovery in attitudes to Labour as a party is something new. Labour had a net unfavourability rating of -26% as a party back in March.

Unfortunately, Ipsos Mori haven't published a voting intention poll since March. Given Labour's lead in both favourability ratings, it would be interesting to see whether Ipsos Mori are still showing them ahead in VI.

You are looking at net favourability, on favourability Boris and the Tories are still higher than Starmer and Labour
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Sandpit said:

I was thinking something similar the other day, watching the protests.

How powerful would it have been for the genuine BLM group protestors to take over somewhere like Hyde Park, standing (or kneeling) still in a 2m grid, for an hour or so?

That would have got everyone to notice them. Instead, their cause gets diluted by the idiots who cause trouble. The issue is that the group organising the protests are quite happy that the 'others' get involved, even if they can deny being involved in the bad side of the protests themselves.
    I don't think it's a question of "others" getting involved, how on earth would you stop those "others" from joining the bandwagon.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

Scott_xP said:
    It could be exactly like the Millennium Bug if it is prevented by the rapid test (and consequent self-isolation of a modest number of people) in that people will believe it was all a false fear, when it was prevented by specific actions taken in response to that fear.

But I'll take years of trying to correct that misconception over thousands of further deaths and another lockdown every day of the week.
    I think it won't happen firstly because the virus seems to be declining in virility but second that people are alert to and very scared of the risk in a way they weren't in February and March and have changed their behaviour (in some instances permanently) in a way that'd prevent it happening again.

So I expect a long tail but it will fizzle out.
  • Options
    Have not read the details, William. Does this align to any extent with my prediction of "extension but no extension" and in particular -

FM ends 1 Jan 2021. All else the same. We pay for frictionless SM access for the foreseeable future or we get it in return for LPF guarantees. We defer agreeing divergence and tariffs and indeed might never do so.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

I read that as meaning officials in Downing Street, not Brussels, emphasised the need for a resetting of Barnier's mandate.
This discussion has been closed.