Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s National Theatre at Home re-run of the The House is

124»

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907

Off topic: does anyone have any “out-there” ideas for what kind of temporary full-time or permanent part-time jobs I could apply for from next week that don’t involve a lot of standing? Unfortunately due to some medical issues standing for long periods of time, such as in a supermarket, is difficult.

Everyone is shopping online. Delivery driver?
    Actually, offering a delivery service for Greggs sausage rolls and steak bakes could be a lucrative business.
    My last Gregg's was a vegan sausage roll in Aberdeen on March 11th.

#cravings
    Why do vegans have to have food that looks like meat....eg nut cutlet,vegan sausage roll and so on and so forth...
    A meat sausage roll doesn’t look like meat
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Andy_JS said:

If you are alone and self isolating because of a severe clinical vulnerability how will you feel tonight as Britain's newspapers revel in the end of lockdown and "firing up the barbecue"?

We were all in together in a national effort until we weren't.

There's nothing anyone can do about that unfortunately. We can't all stay locked down just to show solidarity with people with serious health conditions.
    No, but the papers could be a bit less 'way hey hey and here we go EVERYONE" about it.
    Why should they though?

People have been through hard times, don't you think a bit of optimism is needed sometimes. Especially when more hard times are going to be ahead of us when we face the bill for al this - why can't we have a moment of sunshine within the gloom?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,373
    RobD said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

OK: if other coronaviruses (the common cold ones) confer immunity, will those who have that immunity look as if they have covid antibodies? If our immune systems can't tell the difference, can our scientists?

Wouldn't they be finding many many more people with the antibodies if that were the case? They'd even be finding them in samples taken before the outbreak occurred.
    Isn’t Ishmael saying the opposite of that?

That those with immunity from other sources will NOT exhibit CV19 antibodies.

That’s how I read his post anyway.
    Ah, my mistake. Do antibodies work that way? I though they were very specific, but of course I am not an expert.
    I’m no expert either, but as I understand it, a given antibody is very specific in binding to a particular molecular bit of a virus - but you can get cross reactivity with other related viruses which display similar molecular fragments.

We do know that some neutralising antibodies will bind to both SARS 1 and 2 in this manner. To what extent that’s true of antibodies to the common cold coronaviruses, I don’t know (and I’m not sure anyone does).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    If we weren't already such a crowded country I'd be in favour of allowing people from Hong Kong to move here. Perhaps Canada and Australia could be of assistance.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Off topic: does anyone have any “out-there” ideas for what kind of temporary full-time or permanent part-time jobs I could apply for from next week that don’t involve a lot of standing? Unfortunately due to some medical issues standing for long periods of time, such as in a supermarket, is difficult.

Actually, offering a delivery service for Greggs sausage rolls and steak bakes could be a lucrative business.

#cravings
    Why do vegans have to have food that looks like meat....eg nut cutlet,vegan sausage roll and so on and so forth...
    You've obviously lived a quiet life
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1266099422372532224

I don't get the from Monday? Why not say from tomorrow, because
    in terms of public health / R value, will make very little difference.
    My guess would be to provide time to communicate it properly rather than have eg newspapers suggest "lockdown has been lifted" and people going crazy before realising they've misunderstood.

Plus loosening restrictions on a Monday will mean people aren't going crazy over the weekend.

Though in reality people will start adjusting to new regulations immediately and not wait. Its like driving through a 30 zone and seeing a 40 sign just ahead - theoretically you should stay at 30 until you hit the 40 sign and then start accelerating but reality is many/most cars will start accelerating before they reach the sign.
    speed cameras strategically placed? Been done.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

#cravings
    I used to think what square root says, but now I eat a lot of meat substitutes that look like meat. I guess your answer is pretty near the mark, in that the veggie versions are generally of meat products that don't look natural - burgers and sausages and so on are artificially shaped whether meat or not
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

If you are alone and self isolating because of a severe clinical vulnerability how will you feel tonight as Britain's newspapers revel in the end of lockdown and "firing up the barbecue"?

That was always going to be the case. There's no way the government could keep the whole nation locked down because a few million people are more susceptible to serious conditions from getting the virus. It would be unfeasible both economically and socially. It's sad for those who aren't able to benefit from the relaxed rules, however, that doesn't mean the rules shouldn't be relaxed where they can be. The relaxation seems eminently sensible.

I'm worried that it is being rolled out a week too early before proper contact tracing is in place though, and that seems to be based on the government's need to change the story from Dom.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    MaxPB said:

That was always going to be the case. There's no way the government could keep the whole nation locked down because a few million people are more susceptible to serious conditions from getting the virus. It would be unfeasible both economically and socially. It's sad for those who aren't able to benefit from the relaxed rules, however, that doesn't mean the rules shouldn't be relaxed where they can be. The relaxation seems eminently sensible.

I'm worried that it is being rolled out a week too early before proper contact tracing is in place though, and that seems to be based on the government's need to change the story from Dom.
    The harsh truth is that this is a virus which is only really dangerous for a small percentage of people: those with serious health conditions and the very elderly. Hardly anyone under 50 with no health conditions has died from it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If we weren't already such a crowded country I'd be in favour of allowing people from Hong Kong to move here. Perhaps Canada and Australia could be of assistance.

I'd be quite happy to see anyone from Hong Kong to move to the UK, no questions asked.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336

Dontcha just.love the lack.of self awareness of Sir Keir Starmer complaining about the wasted week arguing about Cummings... and who the feck was orchestrating it behind the scenes ffs.

Boris Johnson? If he'd done the decent thing and sacked him we could have all moved on by Monday. Instead he decided to drive a coach and horses through his own health messaging, endangering lives and causing immense pain.
  • Options

My guess would be to provide time to communicate it properly rather than have eg newspapers suggest "lockdown has been lifted" and people going crazy before realising they've misunderstood.

Plus loosening restrictions on a Monday will mean people aren't going crazy over the weekend.

Though in reality people will start adjusting to new regulations immediately and not wait. Its like driving through a 30 zone and seeing a 40 sign just ahead - theoretically you should stay at 30 until you hit the 40 sign and then start accelerating but reality is many/most cars will start accelerating before they reach the sign.
    When I was learning to drive, my instructor taught me to accelerate at the point I saw the 40 sign. I always thought that was odd. And very possibly illegal. Yet he made a point of saying it.

I passed second time. As far as I can recall, the scenario never occurred in either test. But it was a long time ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922

Andy_JS said:

I'd be quite happy to see anyone from Hong Kong to move to the UK, no questions asked.
    Including convicted murdered and rapists?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm good question.

BN(O) yes.
    Not BN(O) then I'd draw the line there.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm good question.

BN(O) yes.
    (For the record, I was just being a pedantic bastard, not making a serious point...)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

The harsh truth is that this is a virus which is only really dangerous for a small percentage of people: those with serious health conditions and the very elderly. Hardly anyone under 50 with no health conditions has died from it.
    Indeed. I wonder how well known that is? My sense is people are catching on. There is some crazy stat that healthy under-60s are at more risk of falling down the stairs than from Covid-19. Which sounds bonkers, but is apparently the case.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Weather forecast for Monday in my bit of Devon is perfect for a BBQ....
  • Options

#cravings
    Meat obviously doesn't naturally come encased in tubing or pastry. So it's the same reason people have meat in all those forms you mention. Convenience, taste, good mouth feel, familiarity etc.

We love a treat like that as much as anyone else.

For those of us lucky enough to love in North West London - Wenzels is a bit of a competitor to Greggs here and does a vegan sausage roll that is a real treat - and has remained open.
  • Options

Most people are at work on Monday and would prefer a barbecue on Saturday. Which is what will happen, given that the forecast for Saturday is glorious.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

OK: if other coronaviruses (the common cold ones) confer immunity, will those who have that immunity look as if they have covid antibodies? If our immune systems can't tell the difference, can our scientists?

Wouldn't they be finding many many more people with the antibodies if that were the case? They'd even be finding them in samples taken before the outbreak occurred.
    Isn’t Ishmael saying the opposite of that?

That those with immunity from other sources will NOT exhibit CV19 antibodies.

That’s how I read his post anyway.
    One of the issues that was reported early on was that some of the initial anti body tests that were being developed had a problem distinguishing between antibodies for Covid-19 and those for Dengue Fever. Given how rare Dengue Fever is in the UK I am not sure why this should have been seen as such an obstacle.

Of course we know that antibodies from one disease can confer protection for others and will presumably possibly show up in antibody tests. This was the whole basis of the origin of Jenner's work on Cowpox infection conferring immunity for Smallpox.
    Don't people get immunised for dengue when they go to the tropics? (I have no idea, actually, but it might be an issue.)
    No there is no vaccination against Dengue Fever. I was due to travel down to Rio in February for business but decided not to go in the end. I had a load of jabs in preparation for going (8 in total) but the one they warned me about was Dengue Fever because there has been a serious outbreak down there in the last few years and there is no vaccine.

Actually there is a (partially effective) vaccine produced by Sanofi, which immunises against four different strains of the virus.
    If you have antibodies to only one strain, it can make the disease far worse if you’re then infected with another strain.

That was one of the fears with the development of Covid vaccines, as they’d had that problem when trying to develop a MERS vaccine. Immunisation produced antibodies which caused a severe reaction when the test animals were exposed to the virus. The antibodies bound to the virus, but rather than neutralising it, enhanced its ability to penetrate its target (antibody dependent enhancement; ADE).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

The convicted murdered would offer few problems...
  • Options

When I was learning to drive, my instructor taught me to accelerate at the point I saw the 40 sign. I always thought that was odd. And very possibly illegal. Yet he made a point of saying it.

I passed second time. As far as I can recall, the scenario never occurred in either test. But it was a long time ago.
    If you ever go on a speed awareness course (guilty), they are very clear that you should not speed up until you pass the sign.
    And (in theory at least) you can receive a penalty for doing so.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,942

Andy_JS said:

I consider we as a country owe a duty of care to the people of Hong Kong. So irrespective of the issues around overcrowding I believe we should be offering citizenship and a lifeline to those who wish to come here.
    Should have always done from first agreement 1984. Just imagine what a country we'd be now.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    fox327 said:

Regarding the play "The House", it is good to see a contemporary dramatic production go to the trouble to try to get the 1970s English accents right. A bit like Brideshead Revisited which was made in 1981 and set in the 1920s.

Just watched it. A fascinating play.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Hmmm good question.

BN(O) yes.
    (For the record, I was just being a pedantic bastard, not making a serious point...)
    This is PB, so that was understood.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242

Most people are at work on Monday and would prefer a barbecue on Saturday. Which is what will happen, given that the forecast for Saturday is glorious.
    Barbecue smoke, pandemic causing lung disorder, hmm.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

Is anyone still listening to that witch?
    Anna "8.5% of the vote" Soubry
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCJLandale/status/1266014175563862016

Yeah, that'll show the Chinese leadership. Change your plans, or some Hong Kongers will be allowed to stay an additional six months in the UK!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Yeah, that'll show the Chinese leadership. Change your plans, or some Hong Kongers will be allowed to stay an additional six months in the UK!

Do we have to talk about this trivia right now? I want to spend another week obsessing about whether a bloke was right to drive to Durham or not.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    rcs1000 said:

I think I read somewhere else that the extra six months also involves a path to citizenship.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

Do we have to talk about this trivia right now? I want to spend another week obsessing about whether a bloke was right to drive to Durham or not.
    We can bet on the Durham bloke but not (yet) on China.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Fishing said:

• Options

Will Cummings still be in position on 1st June?

Now as short as 1/12 in a place.

Ladbrokes: 4/1 go, 1/7 stay
    PP/Betfair: 5/1 go, 1/10 stay
    Starsports: 11/2 go, 1/12 stay

Overnight price changes to:
    PP/Betfair: 11/2 go, 1/14 stay

Suspended overnight on Ladbrokes and Starsports, presumably in case Cummings resigns while all their traders are asleep.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    In America, Kamala Harris is only even money (2.02) to be the Dems' VP pick on the Betfair exchange. She is priced at 7/4 with Paddy Power and (the PP-owned) Betfair Sportsbook, and 6/4 generally.
  • Options

In America, Kamala Harris is only even money (2.02) to be the Dems' VP pick on the Betfair exchange. She is priced at 7/4 with Paddy Power and (the PP-owned) Betfair Sportsbook, and 6/4 generally.

Harris now in to 6/5 with PP/Betfair. Too short for me for a bet this far out (announcement expected in August, per yesterday's thread).
  • Options
    Warning signs in some US states.

Rising ICU bed use 'a big red flag'
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/28/rising-icu-bed-use-red-flag-287552
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    This thread has driven to Barnard Castle
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto withdraws from Biden VP consideration
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/28/cortez-masto-withdraws-biden-vp-consideration-287923
    ...It is an honor to be considered as a potential running mate but I have decided to withdraw my name from consideration," she said in a statement. “Nevada's economy is one of the hardest hit by the current crisis and I will continue to focus on getting Nevadans the support they need to get back on their feet.”...

I think she’s pulling out as she knows it won’t happen, but this is why (FWIW) I don’t think Whitmer had any chance of being the VP nominee - a governor can’t abandon their state during a pandemic.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    moved to new thread
  • Options
    All pretence of wanting an independent judiciary has gone.

Graham urges senior judges to step aside so Trump, GOP can replace them
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/499957-graham-urges-senior-judges-to-step-aside-ahead-of-november-election
    ... "This is an historic opportunity. We’ve put over 200 federal judges on the bench. I think 1 in 5 federal judges are Trump appointees. ... So if you’re a circuit judge in your mid-60s, late 60s, you can take senior status; now would be a good time to do that if you want to make sure the judiciary is right of center. This is a good time to do it," Graham added.

He also encouraged judges who want to make sure a successor can be confirmed by the November election to announce their plans to retire sooner rather than later, adding that he would "need some time" to get them through the committee....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    rcs1000 said:

Rowing (back) boat diplomacy.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    edited May 2020

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. I wonder how well known that is? My sense is people are catching on. There is some crazy stat that healthy under-60s are at more risk of falling down the stairs than from Covid-19. Which sounds bonkers, but is apparently the case.
    This is continually repeated as if it is a sensible argument against lockdown.

People do not fall down the stairs less becaus of corons virus. People under 60 have died, these are people whose skills need to be replaced. People under 60 still get very ill and have put a big burdon on the NHS. The prime minister is in this category, and every person of working age unable to work because of the disease is a hit to the economy. Do not forget the personal pain and anguish caused by deaths and illnesses regardless of the victim's age.

The UK has been hit by this virus, but has avoided disaster, ... just. The reason for this has been the lockdown.

It is reasonable now to slowly wind the restrictions down as the infection rate is decreasing. The reason for this wind down is NOT because people are more at risk of falling down stairs than dying of covid.
This discussion has been closed.