Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s National Theatre at Home re-run of the The House is

Comments

• Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Carnyx said:

First like the UK in all sorts of comparison tables.

But at least groups of six can soon travel to the Scottish border, to moon house-bound Scots....
    I assume you lads involved in this high minded expression of liberty will be taking a detour to Barnard Castle to test your eyesight, just to make sure you can tell your arses from your elbows.
    It's also curious how he assumes that things will necessarily be worse in Scotland. He just comes out with it, he can't help himself. Though the moths are nice.
    Given that construction sites are not yet open in Scotland and can only open on Monday for site preparation with no date for retail to open - its not without foundation.
    Some people will feel that that is actually better/safer - given that Ro average in England is no better than Scotland, 0.82 wasn't it, under the current rules.
    The R number is (a) an educated guess and (b) in all likelihood being grossly distorted by hospitals and care homes. The rate of transmission in the wider community is probably a very long way from 1, which is why the deaths and hospitalisations are still trickling steadily downwards - despite both the gradual easing of the official lockdown, and the likelihood that large numbers of people have been meeting up with friends and family since at least the VE Day bank holiday if not before.

Will this continue? I think we'll have a better idea by July, after the mass re-opening of the shops, but I am feeling cautiously optimistic for a change. Perhaps the theories about much of the population having reduced or zero susceptibility to the virus will turn out to be true?
    I did find that theory (that many of us have a natural immunity, possibly linked to repeated exposure to the common cold coronaviruses) plausible and one of those that really attracted me.
    Of course, the "and actually the death rate is one in ten thousand" was obvious mince - even one in one thousand was obviously overoptimistic, but the core idea of people throwing it off without needing to generate antibodies (possibly linked with mild doses) seemed possible.

Unfortunately, there's recently been a full-on study checking out everyone who's had even mild symptoms in a hospital in France here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.19.20101832v2

Everyone who has had it at all, even mildly or asymptomatically, has produced antibodies(*). It's not very plausible to go from that finding to the hoped-for possibility that many of us are naturally immune, sadly. Unless some very clear evidence to the contrary comes up, of course.

(*) - Actually, there was one out of 160 who didn't register antibodies. Given the 99.4% illness-to-antibodies result, it's vastly more likely that this was a double false negative than an actual non-antibody-immunity. Even if not, a sub-one-percent natural immunity rate isn't that helpful overall.
    Of course, if everyone is susceptible to infection then that just brings us back to the question of why it is that the deaths and hospitalisations are continuing to trend downwards, even though (i) the easing of lockdown measures has commenced and (ii) there is plenty of anecdotal evidence, along with the actual ongoing increases in road traffic, to suggest that people are travelling more (and, consequently, that social contacts have in all likelihood increased.) It presumably isn't some magical effect caused by the nice weather, because it's not as if April was cold and wet.

If the vast majority of the population is both vulnerable to the disease and hasn't yet had it, then we should have seen cases starting to trend upwards again by now. Especially in London, where the numbers of new cases and the rate of transmission seem to have fallen to especially low levels relative to other regions, despite its particularly high population density. So, what's going on?
    Older people and those vulnerable are most likely still being really careful. Pensioners see friend and family taken off with the flu every winter. Covid-19 is like the flu-plus.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

But at least groups of six can soon travel to the Scottish border, to moon house-bound Scots....
    You are behind the times on Scotland as ever Mark ,
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

Boris dropped a clanger at the press conference...BBQs are now ok...there is no way everybody will be there maintaining social distance, carefully wiping down all plates and.glasses and when you go for a whizz INSIDE..

BBQs are fine as are visiting people in their gardens.

No clanger.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Carnyx said:

I assume you lads involved in this high minded expression of liberty will be taking a detour to Barnard Castle to test your eyesight, just to make sure you can tell your arses from your elbows.
    It's also curious how he assumes that things will necessarily be worse in Scotland. He just comes out with it, he can't help himself. Though the moths are nice.
    Given that construction sites are not yet open in Scotland and can only open on Monday for site preparation with no date for retail to open - its not without foundation.
    Some people will feel that that is actually better/safer - given that Ro average in England is no better than Scotland, 0.82 wasn't it, under the current rules.
    The R number is (a) an educated guess and (b) in all likelihood being grossly distorted by hospitals and care homes. The rate of transmission in the wider community is probably a very long way from 1, which is why the deaths and hospitalisations are still trickling steadily downwards - despite both the gradual easing of the official lockdown, and the likelihood that large numbers of people have been meeting up with friends and family since at least the VE Day bank holiday if not before.

Will this continue? I think we'll have a better idea by July, after the mass re-opening of the shops, but I am feeling cautiously optimistic for a change. Perhaps the theories about much of the population having reduced or zero susceptibility to the virus will turn out to be true?
    I did find that theory (that many of us have a natural immunity, possibly linked to repeated exposure to the common cold coronaviruses) plausible and one of those that really attracted me.
    Of course, the "and actually the death rate is one in ten thousand" was obvious mince - even one in one thousand was obviously overoptimistic, but the core idea of people throwing it off without needing to generate antibodies (possibly linked with mild doses) seemed possible.

Unfortunately, there's recently been a full-on study checking out everyone who's had even mild symptoms in a hospital in France here: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.19.20101832v2

Everyone who has had it at all, even mildly or asymptomatically, has produced antibodies(*). It's not very plausible to go from that finding to the hoped-for possibility that many of us are naturally immune, sadly. Unless some very clear evidence to the contrary comes up, of course.

(*) - Actually, there was one out of 160 who didn't register antibodies. Given the 99.4% illness-to-antibodies result, it's vastly more likely that this was a double false negative than an actual non-antibody-immunity. Even if not, a sub-one-percent natural immunity rate isn't that helpful overall.
    That everyone who has had it has antibodies sounds like good news to me?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if some people are naturally immune for whatever reason then won't they fall under the category of people who haven't had it at all?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    The second part of Cummings' father-in-law's thoughts on genetics: "You can't make a pekinese into a pit bull terrier."

https://twitter.com/Swanswan0307/status/1266024908599017472
    Dentists to reopen on 8th of June.

The second part of Cummings' father-in-law's thoughts on genetics: "You can't make a pekinese into a pit bull terrier."

Any update on his 3rd cousin twice removed ? I heard he pulled the wings off a fly.

What has the father in law got to do with anything? Why is old people's thoughts relevant?

I wouldn't want to be judged by everything my father or grandfather had ever said.
    edited May 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

A lot of people across the country will think "thank goodness" and be squirming at that simultaneously.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

TGOHF666 said:

A lot of people across the country will think "thank goodness" and be squirming at that simultaneously.
    You know the drill...
    ydoethur said:

Boris dropped a clanger at the press conference...BBQs are now ok...there is no way everybody will be there maintaining social distance, carefully wiping down all plates and.glasses and when you go for a whizz INSIDE..

Oh give over, people are already doing this and won't live like Trappist Monks forever.

Sensible to keep relaxing lockdown as sensibly as possible and if the advice is that outdoors is better than indoors then better to have people outside in each others gardens enjoying the summer and having a barbecue than to be inside shopping complexes because they're open and you're bored out of your mind and shopping is a leisure activity permitted.

If plates, glasses and social distancing from your friends while you go inside for a whizz are your greatest risks then you're doing well - I'm sure browsing the supermarket carries greater risk.
    I met someone today in a local supermarket who prior to today hadn’t been out for twelve weeks.

She lives alone.

She said life had not been pleasant.
    Wow that's hardcore. Lockdown needs relaxing for people like that.

What has the father in law got to do with anything? Why is old people's thoughts relevant?

I wouldn't want to be judged by everything my father or grandfather had ever said.
    Cummings himself thinks that "almost everything written by MPs about ‘social mobility’ is junk" and they should make policy based on genetic data science instead.

https://dominiccummings.com/2019/02/21/on-the-referendum-29-genetics-genomics-predictions-the-gretzky-game-a-chance-for-britain-to-help-the-world/
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

This presupposes that most of the people who were going to go round friends' homes for BBQs haven't already been doing so for weeks during the sunniest Spring ever recorded in the UK. The formal announcement may turn out to make very little difference to anything.
    Quite right. But people have been taking precautions - and will continue to do so for now.

One of the things about Covid-19 is it has made everyone paranoid that everyone you meet has it. And they think that of you.
  • SockySocky Posts: 404

Id imagine most Labour fans would be quite happy to have more power and attention and scrutiny that comes with it. Are you wanting the right to have less power, or just keep the power but drop the scrutiny?

I don't remember the Blair years to have involved much scrutiny. If we are talking power and responsibility; Alistair Campbell's actions probably helped kill many thousands of people. That will probably top moving into your parents granny flat when he gets to the pearly gates.

What I really want, to use a cliche, for people to play the ball not the man.

Dominic Cummings has had a makeover.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1266079357824614400
    Socky said:

Id imagine most Labour fans would be quite happy to have more power and attention and scrutiny that comes with it. Are you wanting the right to have less power, or just keep the power but drop the scrutiny?

I don't remember the Blair years to have involved much scrutiny. If we are talking power and responsibility; Alistair Campbell's actions probably helped kill many thousands of people. That will probably top moving into your parents granny flat when he gets to the pearly gates.

Todays briefing marked a new low for BBC, ITV and Sky.

A briefing about the Covid crisis , to introduce a new testing system and update the public on what they can and cant do.

And the 3 main orgs. wasted their questions on Dom.

Send your health or science correspondent or don't bother.

Everyone ready for the final clap?

Dominic Cummings has had a makeover.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1266079357824614400

Shows the level of obsession at Sky News.

Unhealthy.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749

Why is old people's thoughts relevant?

Why is they indeed? Get in the care home and shut up.
    edited May 2020

Just going on appearance, they seem to have made some attempt to make Dom into a pekinese.

Edit: 'Such anatomical abnormalities make brachycephalic breeds very prone to eye problems'
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Carnyx said:

Of course, if everyone is susceptible to infection then that just brings us back to the question of why it is that the deaths and hospitalisations are continuing to trend downwards, even though (i) the easing of lockdown measures has commenced and (ii) there is plenty of anecdotal evidence, along with the actual ongoing increases in road traffic, to suggest that people are travelling more (and, consequently, that social contacts have in all likelihood increased.) It presumably isn't some magical effect caused by the nice weather, because it's not as if April was cold and wet.

If the vast majority of the population is both vulnerable to the disease and hasn't yet had it, then we should have seen cases starting to trend upwards again by now. Especially in London, where the numbers of new cases and the rate of transmission seem to have fallen to especially low levels relative to other regions, despite its particularly high population density. So, what's going on?
    Because while R has increased a little, it's still below 1.

Pressure downwards is not as high as it was, but it is still downwards. Note that the death rates are shallowing somewhat and look almost plateaued over time.
    People are still, largely, being very careful. Public transport isn't very busy. Small shops are still closed. Pubs, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, theatres, sporting stadia are still closed. Most people are still working from home. Schools are still closed (until next week).
    Compare our current level of restrictions to the normal way of life. It's unrecognisable, still. We've got at least 90% of the restrictions.

Frankly, if infections had started rising, I'd be crushingly disappointed. It would mean that the tiny level of relaxation we'd done was too much already. My personal view (bearing in mind the list of things I now consider likely-to-proven I posted earlier) is that we still have quite a bit of low-hanging fruit to pick before we come too close to 1 (going past it would tip us upwards).

I can't see why "we should have seen cases starting to trend upwards again by now" - given that all those measures I listed are still in force. We're still social distancing to an extreme level, making life unrecognisable. If they were trending upwards already, we'd be so screwed.

Why is old people's thoughts relevant?

Why is they indeed? Get in the care home and shut up.
    Or get in the care home and die as they say in Scotland.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Socky said:

So if a Labour local parish councillor breaks the rules it should be on newsnight because they are all elected politicians? Its a view but not one anyone is going to believe you seriously hold.

The MSM tends to report it front and centre when minor figures on the right do stupid things.

DC isn't even a politician, he is an employee.
    There is a lot of focus on DC for the same reason that there was a lot of focus on Steve Bannon in the US, and on Timothy and Fiona in the old days with Ms May. Go back to the 1960s, and you'll find there was an awful lot of attention paid to Marcia Williams.

Basically the key advisors to the PM (or President) have always been news.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

ydoethur said:

Oh give over, people are already doing this and won't live like Trappist Monks forever.

Sensible to keep relaxing lockdown as sensibly as possible and if the advice is that outdoors is better than indoors then better to have people outside in each others gardens enjoying the summer and having a barbecue than to be inside shopping complexes because they're open and you're bored out of your mind and shopping is a leisure activity permitted.

If plates, glasses and social distancing from your friends while you go inside for a whizz are your greatest risks then you're doing well - I'm sure browsing the supermarket carries greater risk.
    I met someone today in a local supermarket who prior to today hadn’t been out for twelve weeks.

She lives alone.

That is the way a lot of older people have been interpreting lockdown. Your airy repeated assertion that everyone just needs to do what’s right for you ignores this. People like this lady have really been suffering. And then they hear the Prime Minister’s chief adviser has been swanning around the country.

Try imagining how they feel about that news.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    TGOHF666 said:

Socky said:

Todays briefing marked a new low for BBC, ITV and Sky.

A briefing about the Covid crisis , to introduce a new testing system and update the public on what they can and cant do.

And the 3 main orgs. wasted their questions on Dom.

Send your health or science correspondent or don't bother.

I thought the question from the new scientist guy was decent sensible one & so was the reply from the eggheads.

Because:

1. Relaxing is not the same as abandoning. There aren't hundreds of thousands of people travelling in crowded tubes every day. Bars and restaurants aren't open.

2. Even if you abandoned all the restrictions, the time lag between infection and severe symptoms is quite long - often seven days before noticeable ones, and two weeks before ones requiring hospitalistion.

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Carnyx said:

That everyone who has had it has antibodies sounds like good news to me?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if some people are naturally immune for whatever reason then won't they fall under the category of people who haven't had it at all?
    It's highly unlikely to be a binary - if there's natural immunity, some would have more; others less; if you have some natural immunity, you'd have mild cases caused by this.
    And, separately, we've had cases where virtually everyone has had it. Even asymptomatic people get antibodies.

That's very fascinating and all, but it might be that my (late) father-in-law had some very odd views on a number of different subjects.

And you know what that would say about my views?

Absolutely nothing.
    eadric said:

A thing I have noticed. Case Fatality Rates

A lot of countries are now doing a LOT of testing, so the CFR is getting more accurate, and it is high

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

France has a CFR of 15.6%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

At the moment, in many of the biggest countries in the western world, if you get diagnosed positive with covid-19 you have a 1 in 6 to a 1 in 18 likelihood of dying. Quite scary

Most people in the UK who had CV-19, particularly a month or so ago, will never have been diagnosed.

So all this really shows is which countries ramped up testing early, and which ramped it up late.

As an aside, there's an increasing amount of evidence that severe CV-19 cases correlate strongly with vitamin D deficiency. So, sunny places (and places in summer) are likely to see lower CFRs.
    I really couldn’t care less what Dominic Cummings’ father-in-law thinks about anything.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    eadric said:

A lot of countries are now doing a LOT of testing, so the CFR is getting more accurate, and it is high

Don't forget Russia's not at all suspicious 1.0%
  • SockySocky Posts: 404
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Go back to the 1960s, and you'll find there was an awful lot of attention paid to Marcia Williams.

Supposedly she made Harold smoke a pipe as she felt that softened his image.
    rcs1000 said:

I don't mind them being in the news, or even being accountable for their advice. But the attacks on Cummings are just plain nasty.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Apologies for the Daily Mail link but this sort of risk segmentation model is what I’ve been banging on about on PB for a while.

Granted, it’s not popular, but still with a post perhaps?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8366371/Peoples-Covid-19-risk-scored-scale-1-5.html
    rcs1000 said:

That's very fascinating and all, but it might be that my (late) father-in-law had some very odd views on a number of different subjects.

And you know what that would say about my views?

Absolutely nothing.
    I don't disagree, but Cummings has written blog posts along similar lines, and the juxtaposition of his anti-elite populism against the reality of his background is politically relevant.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,282
    edited May 2020
    Interesting article on Unherd from someone who used to be on this site a lot but has disappeared recently. Here it is again.

https://unherd.com/2020/05/why-we-remember-wars-but-forget-plagues/
    Oh dear, Grandmaster of the Lodge Flashy found to be unsuited to decent company again?

ydoethur said:

She lives alone.

That is the way a lot of older people have been interpreting lockdown. Your airy repeated assertion that everyone just needs to do what’s right for you ignores this. People like this lady have really been suffering. And then they hear the Prime Minister’s chief adviser has been swanning around the country.

Try imagining how they feel about that news.
    You miss my point. If people have been interpreting it that way then fair enough for them. They're more at risk so makes sense to do that. Which matches my thoughts on using personal judgement.

Doesn't mean everyone has to be the same.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    At a lower level than more than a month ago, definitely, but it doesn't look from this and other data that Covid-19 cases have declined in the last couple of weeks or so:

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1266057459334078466

Oh dear, Grandmaster of the Lodge Flashy found to be unsuited to decent company again?

The ban hammer cometh for one of The People
    Am I permitted to ask why TGOHF has been banned? I've not seen anything odd unless its been deleted. Apologies if that question isn't permitted.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

The ban hammer cometh for one of The People
    He’s taking his daily form of exorcise.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Am I permitted to ask why TGOHF has been banned? I've not seen anything odd unless its been deleted. Apologies if that question isn't permitted.

TGOHF666 is dead. God save TGOHF667.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting article on Unherd from someone who used to be on this site a lot but has disappeared recently. Here it is again.

https://unherd.com/2020/05/why-we-remember-wars-but-forget-plagues/

Based in London says the by-line.

Not Penarth.
    eadric said:

He used an N word which isn't as bad as THE N word but is still quite bad. I think
    Naughty.

No idea what word you're talking about but silly boy.
  • Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    edited May 2020

Rexel56 said:

Bit puzzled... watched the press briefing but didn’t hear any mention of the alert level being dropped from 4 to 3, which the PM said last night they would be looking at today. Did I miss that being announced? I did miss part of the response to Preston on the 2m separation so it could have been then.

I could be wrong but dont think it was explicitly mentioned in terms of alert level 3, but he did say the 5 conditions to get there are now met.
    Thanks for the reply, but the five tests were applied to the decision whether step 2 of the easing of lockdown can happen on June 1st, i.e. the date pencilled in when step 1 was taken earlier in May. The PM was quite clear last night that a decision was to be taken on whether we are now at alert level 3 - as nothing was said, we can only assume that we remain at alert level 4.

It’s also puzzling that apparently test 3. has been met, that the rate of infection is decreasing. At step 1, this was shown as being measured by R and the graph used to illustrate when step 2 would happen suggested an R about half that of what it was when step 1 was taken. In fact, R is now higher than it was then: 0.7-0.9 as opposed to 0.5-0.9 at the time of step 1. Today, test 3 was suddenly expressed in terms of daily positive tests.

So, one can only conclude that a bit of a fudge has gone on. The tests for step 2 have not been fully met and the date of June 1st was the overriding priority for some reason. This is underlined by a partial, untested test and trace system being declared open.

It’s disappointing that the journalists didn’t ask questions about either the lack of announcement on the alert level or the fudging if test 3.

Well supported tonight here.

I think it will be the last time mind.

eadric said:

He used an N word which isn't as bad as THE N word but is still quite bad. I think
    Naughty.

No idea what word you're talking about but silly boy.
    Probably not that one. Otherwise, goodbye.

:)
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    eadric said:

He might be an odious posho but he's also not entirely wrong. Genes do count. Otherwise we wouldn't have horse-breeders or crop improvers.

A horse descended from Whistlejacket, Seabiscuit or Red Rum is a better bet for greatness than one that isn't.
    Ahem...can't speak for Whistlejacket or even Seabiscuit but most unlikely Red Rum would have any descendants.
    Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Bit puzzled... watched the press briefing but didn’t hear any mention of the alert level being dropped from 4 to 3, which the PM said last night they would be looking at today. Did I miss that being announced? I did miss part of the response to Preston on the 2m separation so it could have been then.

I could be wrong but dont think it was explicitly mentioned in terms of alert level 3, but he did say the 5 conditions to get there are now met.
    Thanks for the reply, but the five tests were applied to the decision whether step 2 of the easing of lockdown can happen on June 1st, i.e. the date pencilled in when step 1 was taken earlier in May. The PM was quite clear last night that a decision was to be taken on whether we are now at alert level 3 - as nothing was said, we can only assume that we remain at alert level 4.

It’s also puzzling that apparently test 3. has been met, that the rate of infection is decreasing. At step 1, this was shown as being measured by R and the graph used to illustrate when step 2 would happen suggested an R about half that of what it was when step 1 was taken. In fact, R is now higher than it was then: 0.7-0.9 as opposed to 0.5-0.9 at the time of step 1. Today, test 3 was suddenly expressed in terms of daily positive tests.

So, one can only conclude that a bit of a fudge has gone on. The tests for step 3 have not been fully met and the date of June 1st was the overriding priority for some reason. This is underlined by a partial, untested test and trace system being declared open.

It’s disappointing that the journalists didn’t ask questions about either the lack of announcement on the alert level or the fudging if test 3.
    I think you've misunderstood R and Test 3.

Hypothetically which has the higher rate of infection:
    Scenario A: R of 0.7 with 20,000 active cases
    Scenario B: R of 0.8 with 5,000 active cases
    eadric said:

Just as a matter of interest, what was the word?

TGOHF666 said:

Indeed. I have had a little bit of pain from a back tooth for a couple of days now and have been praying to the Gods that it is nothing because the dentists are Closed Until Further Notice.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

You'll get Eadric banned!
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I think it was ninny.
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

You'll get Eadric banned!
    I always thought Robert himself was the wielder of the ban hammer

Well supported tonight here.

I think it will be the last time mind.
    A few of my neighbours seemed irritated at the idea of it being the final one, saying its not over yet.
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I think it was ninny.
    He certainly referred to ginger haired Fifers in his human breeding discussion, but those don't begin with N.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    He will return to us if you all clap your hands and say you believe in 30 mile eyesight testing drives.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Nigella. We can't discuss cake recipes on this site.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

He might be an odious posho but he's also not entirely wrong. Genes do count. Otherwise we wouldn't have horse-breeders or crop improvers.

A horse descended from Whistlejacket, Seabiscuit or Red Rum is a better bet for greatness than one that isn't.
    Ahem...can't speak for Whistlejacket or even Seabiscuit but most unlikely Red Rum would have any descendants.
    Was he gay?
    I'm not sure if he had the choice when the men in brown coats, big thermos and electric prods came along.
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Nigella. We can't discuss cake recipes on this site.
    It was nice knowing you.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

At the moment, in many of the biggest countries in the western world, if you get diagnosed positive with covid-19 you have a 1 in 6 to a 1 in 18 likelihood of dying. Quite scary

If you use the new ONS antibody figure and the excess mortality number, it comes out to about 1.3% for the UK, I think.

That is a bit higher than I had been expecting, but seems believable.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Was he gay?
    No... just a euunuuch... :open_mouth:
    edited May 2020
    Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

So, one can only conclude that a bit of a fudge has gone on. The tests for step 3 have not been fully met and the date of June 1st was the overriding priority for some reason. This is underlined by a partial, untested test and trace system being declared open.

The tests lack objective thresholds and the measurements are only approximate anyway. The tests are met if Johnson says they are.

1. The NHS can cope? Sure. The NHS has to cope, whatever.
    2. Sustained and consistent fall in the death rate? It has fallen significantly. May not be falling any more. If the test was met two weeks ago, it ins't more "met" today
    3. Rate of infection decreasing to 'manageable levels'. Same as (1). Whatever the level we have to manage.
    4. Ensuring supply of tests and PPE can meet future demand. Although not quantified, this is probably OK
    5. Confident any adjustments would not risk a second peak that would overwhelm the NHS. This was watered down from "not risk a second peak". The former definition would be measurable, at least in retrospect.
    Guys: if you need to protect yourself from 5G waves and CV-19, this will be useful:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/5g-conspiracy-theorists-sell-350-usb-stick-to-fight-electric-fog/

Very gratified that this is a British company.
    Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

If you use the new ONS antibody figure and the excess mortality number, it comes out to about 1.3% for the UK, I think.

The 1.3% probably reflects the extent to which CV-19 got into care homes.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4

Apologies for the Daily Mail link but this sort of risk segmentation model is what I’ve been banging on about on PB for a while.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8366371/Peoples-Covid-19-risk-scored-scale-1-5.html

The thing about risk segmentation that most concerns me is that it seems to gloss over the infecting-other-people bit to focus exclusively on the whats-the-risk-to-this-single-person bit.

If my daughters are in Risk Category 5 (lowest risk) and I'm in Risk Category 3 and my Mum's in Risk Category 1... how does that work?

Or say, I'm in Risk Category 4 or 5 - that just means I'm okay Jack, doesn't it? I can still pick it up and infect people, and if my category has an effective R of, say, 2 or so, it's going to rip through the Risk Category 4 or 5's like wildfire. And anyone in contact with them gets infected as well, and the virus is not just endemic at a low level, but burning brightly with a source of however-many-million Typhoid Marys around.

Unless Risk Segmentation comes with near-perfect social segmentation (so everyone in Risk Category 3 MUST be perfectly separated from everyone in Risk Category 4 (who will be a greater source of the disease) AND Risk Category 2 (who will be more vulnerable) and that segmentation must be kept up permanently. You can't share a house, or a car, or meet them at work (eg in care homes), or even come into contact with them in shops.

It does look totally unworkable from here. I can see the attraction, and if it wasn't for the being-able-to-infect-everyone-else bit of the issue, it'd be great. But it's sort of like providing excellent crumple zones and airbags to people to go drink-driving: at the end of the day, we're going to be more worried about the poor bastards that are going to get hit by the well-protected drunk driver.
    rcs1000 said:

Guys: if you need to protect yourself from 5G waves and CV-19, this will be useful:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/05/5g-conspiracy-theorists-sell-350-usb-stick-to-fight-electric-fog/

Very gratified that this is a British company.

A nice yield for the exchequer in terms of VAT.
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

News?
    National unity government?
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Nosurrendertopoorgenes

• dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Socky said:

So if a Labour local parish councillor breaks the rules it should be on newsnight because they are all elected politicians? Its a view but not one anyone is going to believe you seriously hold.

The MSM tends to report it front and centre when minor figures on the right do stupid things.

DC isn't even a politician, he is an employee.
    There is a lot of focus on DC for the same reason that there was a lot of focus on Steve Bannon in the US, and on Timothy and Fiona in the old days with Ms May. Go back to the 1960s, and you'll find there was an awful lot of attention paid to Marcia Williams.

Or, going further back, Thomas Cromwell. Perhaps Hilary Mantel will write a trilogy on DC next.
  • juniusjunius Posts: 73
    Less applause in my local area this evening.
    I rudely interrupted neighbours who were clapping to explain that I was clapping in spirit - but that I felt that no amount of applause changes anything. I told them that I had chosen instead - to write to my MP asking her to support any measures that might elevate the position of carers. Increasing the pittance many of them are paid would be a move in the right direction. Though I wrote early last week, my MP has not given me the courtesy of a response.

eadric said:

eadric said:

Was he gay?
    Sorry Eadric, I thought you would have known enough about the sport to know that jumpers are usually gelded. This is mainly because they are not fast enough to have any stud value, but also because of the risk of testicles getting caught on the fence.

Now you know, but probably wished you didn't.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Socky said:

rcs1000 said:

Go back to the 1960s, and you'll find there was an awful lot of attention paid to Marcia Williams.

Supposedly she made Harold smoke a pipe as she felt that softened his image.
    rcs1000 said:

I don't mind them being in the news, or even being accountable for their advice. But the attacks on Cummings are just plain nasty.
    https://www.private-eye.co.uk/covers/cover-325

Lady Forkbender.
    eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

1.3% is pretty high if this damn bug is going to infect, say, 50% of us in the end

Suggests about 40m dead globally, so something similar to Spanish Flu in outright scale
    On that basis, if R0=2.4, the cost of herd immunity (if such a thing were to exist) would be half a million dead.

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Ah yes, my error, I see that the graph illustrating the step-by-step approach in the government plan has caseload on the y axis, it confused me by labelling the trend line as R more than 1 (coloured red) and R less than 1 (coloured blue) leading me to think that the y axis was indeed R. Thank you for the clarification. Can you clarify whether we are at alert level four or three?
    Chris said:

eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

1.3% is pretty high if this damn bug is going to infect, say, 50% of us in the end

Suggests about 40m dead globally, so something similar to Spanish Flu in outright scale
    On that basis, if R0=2.4, the cost of herd immunity (if such a thing were to exist) would be half a million dead.
    That seems consistent with the worst case scenario described by Boris in his broadcast.
    Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Ah yes, my error, I see that the graph illustrating the step-by-step approach in the government plan has caseload on the y axis, it confused me by labelling the trend line as R more than 1 (coloured red) and R less than 1 (coloured blue) leading me to think that the y axis was indeed R. Thank you for the clarification. Can you clarify whether we are at alert level four or three?
    I don't know. I missed the press conference and I'm not sure if it was announced. Sounds like 3.
    Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

I think that's the infection fatality rate (IFR), not the case fatality rate (CFR). It's possible serology tests generate a sizeable number of false negatives (it says you are free of the infection when you have it), which will depress the implied IFR somewhat.

CFR kicks in after diagnosis, I think
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

That is pretty much the overall CFR that we have known from early Feb, so seems entirely plausible to me. It is not the only early figure to be vindicated.

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

I don't know. I missed the press conference and I'm not sure if it was announced. Sounds like 3.
    It wasn’t announced and I can’t find where on .gov the current level is shown.
    Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

It wasn’t announced and I can’t find where on .gov the current level is shown.
    Would have been a good question for a journalist to ask.
    Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

Rexel56 said:

This is a fundamental point. The government is now apparently fitting the alert level to the relaxations, not vice versa. They are no longer following their own announced policy framework.
    edited May 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

Was he gay?
    Sorry Eadric, I thought you would have known enough about the sport to know that jumpers are usually gelded. This is mainly because they are not fast enough to have any stud value, but also because of the risk of testicles getting caught on the fence.

Talking of horses did you know about Stoney Crossing?
    3rd to Arkle and Mill House in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, and then 6th at Badminton in the same year? I think this is the single most extraordinary fact I have ever heard.
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

The 1.3% probably reflects the extent to which CV-19 got into care homes.
    I'm sure that people will be enquiring carefully into what exactly the fatality rate in the UK reflects for the next few years.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

That is pretty much the overall CFR that we have known from early Feb, so seems entirely plausible to me. It is not the only early figure to be vindicated.
    Yes, from the first days of Wuhan people were theorising a CFR of ~1%.

It's odd. In some ways this disease is completely novel and terrifyingly weird, yet on the other hand we have had quite a good grasp on its potentialities, from the off.
    And heck, even in the UK, which has had a Bad Corona, the deaths from this wave are going to top out at about 60 000. Which, as others have pointed out, is similar to the Hong Kong flu. Heaven knows what it would have been without the mitigation.

Accumulated science and prosperity (even the prosperity we will have when the recession has struck) let humanity achieve remarkable things.
    edited May 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Was he gay?

Talking of horses did you know about Stoney Crossing?
    3rd to Arkle and Mill House in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, and then 6th at Badminton in the same year? I think this is the single most extraordinary fact I have ever heard.
    Didn't know that. Not unusual for ex-chasers to go eventing after retirement from NH (I think Kauto Star did) but never heard of them doing both in the same season. That might change now though with Cross-Country becoming a bigger part of the NH programme.
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

Diamond Princess has been stuck for ages on 13 dead, 4 in critical condition. If we take that at face value it gives a range (out of 712) of 1.8-2.3% depending on the outcome for the 4.
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

Yes, from the first days of Wuhan people were theorising a CFR of ~1%.

It's odd. In some ways this disease is completely novel and terrifyingly weird, yet on the other hand we have had quite a good grasp on its potentialities, from the off.
    For China outside Hubei province, the figure was about 1%. In the West the population is older. At one stage I tried to adjust some of the Chinese figures for the Italian age profile, and came out with 2.3%. But on the other hand the Chinese figures seem to have excluded asymptomatic cases, which appear to be something like 50%. That reasoning would end up with 1.1-1.2%, so I find 1.3% very believable.
    eadric said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

What a genius song
    Hypnotic, like watching a car crash.

eadric said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

What a genius song
    Hypnotic, like watching a car crash.
    There's a whole episode of Family Guy based on it.

The thing about risk segmentation that most concerns me is that it seems to gloss over the infecting-other-people bit to focus exclusively on the whats-the-risk-to-this-single-person bit.

If my daughters are in Risk Category 5 (lowest risk) and I'm in Risk Category 3 and my Mum's in Risk Category 1... how does that work?

Or say, I'm in Risk Category 4 or 5 - that just means I'm okay Jack, doesn't it? I can still pick it up and infect people, and if my category has an effective R of, say, 2 or so, it's going to rip through the Risk Category 4 or 5's like wildfire. And anyone in contact with them gets infected as well, and the virus is not just endemic at a low level, but burning brightly with a source of however-many-million Typhoid Marys around.

Unless Risk Segmentation comes with near-perfect social segmentation (so everyone in Risk Category 3 MUST be perfectly separated from everyone in Risk Category 4 (who will be a greater source of the disease) AND Risk Category 2 (who will be more vulnerable) and that segmentation must be kept up permanently. You can't share a house, or a car, or meet them at work (eg in care homes), or even come into contact with them in shops.

It does look totally unworkable from here. I can see the attraction, and if it wasn't for the being-able-to-infect-everyone-else bit of the issue, it'd be great. But it's sort of like providing excellent crumple zones and airbags to people to go drink-driving: at the end of the day, we're going to be more worried about the poor bastards that are going to get hit by the well-protected drunk driver.
    I haven’t seen my parents in months. They are 70+ , hence shielded. Surely this is how it works?
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

Diamond Princess has been stuck for ages on 13 dead, 4 in critical condition. If we take that at face value it gives a range (out of 712) of 1.8-2.3% depending on the outcome for the 4.
    It's been argued that the fatality rate on the Diamond Princess was increased by an older than average population. John Ioannidis somehow came up with a figure of 0.125% (!) by supposedly correcting that for the age profile of the US population, but didn't publish his calculations (perhaps because he'd lost the envelope). Someone else did publish some calculations and IIRC came up with a figure around 1%.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Wales allowing some people to meet up, but only if they don't travel more than 5 miles.

https://twitter.com/AdamRHale/status/1266084516210319362
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I haven’t seen my parents in months. They are 70+ , hence shielded. Surely this is how it works?
    I see my wife and daughter every day. My wife is on the shielding list.

How does that segmentation work?
    FF43 said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

I think that's the infection fatality rate (IFR), not the case fatality rate (CFR). It's possible serology tests generate a sizeable number of false negatives (it says you are free of the infection when you have it), which will depress the implied IFR somewhat.

Yes, that is based on the antibody tests, so it is an infection fatality rate.

The ONS report I quoted earlier said they had yet to account properly for false positives and negatives, but their initial modelling indicated "only slight increases to uncertainty in the estimates." That doesn't sound as though they expected a significant movement of the percentage up or down.
    Alistair said:

I see my wife and daughter every day. My wife is on the shielding list.

How does that segmentation work?
    I don’t know exactly how this particular model works, as I’ve only seen the Mail story (I know, I know).

But Dr David Katz’ risk segmentation model would put you in a high(er) risk category because you are in the nuclear family of someone who needs shielding.
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

Yes, that is based on the antibody tests, so it is an infection fatality rate.

The ONS report I quoted earlier said they had yet to account properly for false positives and negatives, but their initial modelling indicated "only slight increases to uncertainty in the estimates." That doesn't sound as though they expected a significant movement of the percentage up or down.
    I think CV19 has turned out to be a bit more infectious and a bit more deadly than we were hoping at one point. IFR typically around 1% rather than 0.5% or so.
    RobD said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

Chris said:

eadric said:

USA has a CFR of 5.8%

Brazil has a CFR of 6.2%

Spain has a CFR of 9.5%

Italy has a CFR of 14.3%

UK has a CFR of 14.1%

That seems consistent with the worst case scenario described by Boris in his broadcast.
    I think the worst case was that the percentage infected would overshoot what was needed for herd immunity (if such a thing is possible) - about 60% - so that about 80% would be infected. For a fatality rate of 1.3% that would have taken the deaths up to about 700,000.
This discussion has been closed.