Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The paper that should worry the Tories this morning is the Dai

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,957
    Coffee cup debate on LBC - I'm with Nick on this one. Viral prevention trumps pollution.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,320
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    The temperature in the room dropped 15 degrees while reading that.

There is no escaping the fact that Johnson really isn't up to the job. If he reads that letter and doesn't have to go and have a long hard look at himself, nothing else will make him.
    Feck knows how the country is going to get over this with him in charge.
    A journalist could do worse than read that out at this afternoon's press conference and ask for a comment from the minister.
    Is there one, on the Bank Holiday?
    They do Sundays, so why not?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106

nichomar said:

TGOHF666 said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF666 said:

Can’t believe they made Scott set his alarm AGAIN on a Bank Holiday to post tweets in a doomed cause.

Tough break Scott.

What doomed cause is this? I'm genuinely baffled by that term!
    To get Dom - in revenge for Brexit.

That’s all this is about - in the end.
    Bollocks.
    Any person with a half a brain cell knows what this is about, to deny it is childish.

Tom Harwood just gave the true account of what is happening
    Do Hartley Brewer, Dale and Montgomery have half a brain cell?
    Personally I think the whole thing is a disaster that has been made much worse by the way the Tories have handled it. The press conference was abysmal, I agree with Big G that Boris seems to be a shadow of his former self and I would be surprised if he clings on much past the end of the year.

But throughout this whole pandemic the media are after a gotcha moment, they are determined to bring Johnson down and have an EU friendly Tory leader that will extend the transition period. They've only got a few weeks to do it and this is the final push.

From the little I know of Cummings he seems a confrontational type with little regard for anyone else, in normal circumstances I would agree that he should go but in this case I hope he stays, just to piss off the media
    Complete rubbish this has nothing to do with the EU you are deluded.
    I would agree this has nothing to do with the EU, but it has everything to do with a Remain frenzied media that are desperate to keep us in it.

Let's see how this pans out before you decide if I am deluded
    Cummings' playbook is to use the irrational opposition of Remainers to get Brexiteers to line up behind him even as he sells them out. If we don't extend transition, expect a deal that is barely distinguishable from the status quo.
  • Options

Mr. DHSS, I don't know about the Ali situation, but Kinnock was delivering food/medicine to his elderly parents which I believe was specifically permitted under the guidance/law.

I appreciate that, but that is just about as plausable as Cummings excuse. That is, not very plausable at all.

Do we really believe that he made a 400 mile round trip to deliver food and medicine, when there are volunteer teams that do that, not to mention any neighbours. Luckily it was a coincidence that it just happened to be his Dad's birthday, so after driving 200 miles to deliver food and medicine he was able to sit in the front garden and have a bit of birthday cake with him.

When you think about it his excuse (while technically permitted) is worse than that of Cummings
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

There are still those who are following the chain of logic of:

1: There is a controversy involving Cummings
    2: Cummings was the architect of Leave
    3: Ergo it’s all a conspiracy by Remainers
    4: Hold the line.

The possibility that there might actually be a non-Brexit related controversy involving Cummings hasn’t yet penetrated. That the Mail, plus many prominent Brexiteers have lambasted him over this might be a clue that, you know, this is about something he’s actually done - would require a big shift in outlook.

I swear if Cummings was to shoot someone in the street shouting "I'm glad I Domminic Cummings kill him" there would be people on here posting "prosecuting Dominic Cummings would just be giving in to the left wing anti-Brexit hate mob"
    Why haven't they gone after Stephen Kinnock with the same zeal? Or Tahir Ali?
    Perhaps because:

1) neither was at the centre of government
    2) neither was carrying the deadly viruses with them on their visit.
    Cummings was literally one of the key architects of the whole lockdown policy and its communication.
    So you`d think he knew the rules.

Will be interesting if we do get a blow-by-blow account of his actions, accompanied by evidence that he checked it was OK first. The fact that he was, it`s said, talked to by police but but not charged, and police guidance gives him cover.

This story could take an unexpected turn yet, though I doubt it because surely Johnson would have made a better defence than yesterday`s abysmal effort.
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1264820560267182080

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1264825382102065152
    Including Stephen Kinnock and Tahir Ali
    Who are not running the country.
    Kinnock was promoted to the Shadow front bench by Starmer two weeks after his little episode. Starmer said yesterday if he was PM he would sack Cummings, yet not only did he not sack Kinnock he promoted him.

Double standards much?
    Could you describe how they were equaivalent?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

That letter, gut wrenching as it is, is as much a protest against lockdown as it is against Cummings.

I was listening to a leading dentist on the radio talking about the awful privations that some unfortunates have gone through and are still going through because the industry was summarily shut down in panic and has not re-opened.

Lockdown has unleashed a terrible barbarism is shattering our country socially and economically.

I;ve said it consistently and as the evidence mounts I believe it more than ever.

Long lockdown is the worst policy mistake by any British government, ever. By a street.

Long lockdown where the high and the mighty could come and go as they please was the worst policy mistake by any government.
    How many government advisors and Cabinet ministers have seen a dentist in last eight weeks?

We should be told.
    Some of the stories the dentist guy told are enough to make you weep.

A couple being guided on facetime as they extracted their ten year old's tooth with a pliars.

that is where we are. Barbarism
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Devil's advocate:

Despite everything this is the first time the government has got in serious trouble, and it's also the first time they haven't been able to let Cumming manage the story, since he's now the subject of it.

This shows what an excellent operator Cummings is, and how screwed they will be if they get rid of him.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526

Lets imagine this spinning out well for the govt.

How many days/weeks before the story goes away?

The white heat of the anger will have gone to red or below within a week, in a fortnight it'll no longer lead the media other than the Guardian / Mirror, in a month the average person will move on to new topics - do you remember the news a month ago today (be honest)? - in 6 months the economic recovery from coronavirus will crowd out all other news as we struggle to recover from depression, in 4 years the general election will be fought based on what's actually happening then.

Two years from now Scott and ICHB will still be re-tweeting 24/7 about it though :wink:
    I don't know if you remember the mid 90's.
    From about 1993, the Major government did a pretty reasonable job of governing, hence the Golden Economic Legacy. It wasn't pretty politically, but it was decent governance.
    The 1997 manifesto was full of stuff to tickle Tory tummies.
    And it did them precisely zero good in the election.
    One you've blown trust, you're a zombie. You might be moving, but you're dead.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

The white heat of the anger will have gone to red or below within a week, in a fortnight it'll no longer lead the media other than the Guardian / Mirror, in a month the average person will move on to new topics - do you remember the news a month ago today (be honest)? - in 6 months the economic recovery from coronavirus will crowd out all other news as we struggle to recover from depression, in 4 years the general election will be fought based on what's actually happening then.

Two years from now Scott and ICHB will still be re-tweeting 24/7 about it though :wink:
    No, you're simply wrong. I know a lot of members who have or are considering resigning over this. If the party membership can't accept it then the voters definitely can't. This is going to run and run. If Boris is still PM in 2024 I could see a Blair style victory for Starmer, Boris has lot his one reason to vote for him - he is a posho everyman who calls it and says it like it is.

Imagine for a minute the party roles were reversed and this was Blair holding onto Ali Campbell after he'd done exactly what Dom has done with Boris as LOTO. He'd tell it how it is and say it can't be one rule from us and another for them. Boris would place himself in with the plebs, he's done it successfully for his whole political career. Until now. If Boris can no longer see what it means to be a pleb and he's become so isolated from ordinary people then he's of no use as a leader because he won't win the next election.

Tbh, the same goes for Dom as well. He's always cast himself into the role as defender of the downtrodden, but now he's doing the treading and damaging those people he claims to represent (and has done well for a long time).

If you think this blows over without anygthig changing then you're even denser than you appear.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,802

I’m unusual in that I can’t get exercised by the Cummings stuff. Tens of thousands of people have broken the lockdown rules, which are completely unsustainable. Why should he be any different?

What I am concerned about is the utter chaos at the heart of government. This is the administration that is supposed to be leading us out of this thing. They look like complete amateurs - absolute clowns.

It doesn’t bode well. We have a clueless PM leading a cabinet of idiots in a time of national crisis.

If it was just lockdown rules, an apology would probably be fine.

Its that its quarantine! He had/claims to have had/his wife had/claims to have had covid symptoms and people he was close to had tested positive. Spreading the deadly virus 350 miles up and down the country is not just breaking lockdown.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Dura_Ace said:

Johnson is (even more) fucked if the "Wilson Letter" goes viral.

Would make a very powerful front page of a daily paper tomorrow. Just that, nothing else.
    Naah, it's irrelevant. Next election is not till 2024, and who remembers the death of their spouse for more than a month or two?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,957
    edited May 2020

Devil's advocate:

Despite everything this is the first time the government has got in serious trouble, and it's also the first time they haven't been able to let Cumming manage the story, since he's now the subject of it.

This shows what an excellent operator Cummings is, and how screwed they will be if they get rid of him.

I think that's right. Makes it worse for the Gov't though. Johnson too incompetent to run the country without Cummings.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    One MP in a Red Wall seat contacted the Guardian’s northern editor, Helen Pidd, to say: “I think he should go. It’s cut through. Massively. He’s a liability.”

The MP said they had received over 100 angry emails about Cummings, with the “non-lefties” expressing the same sentiment as Monday’s Daily Mail front page: “What planet are they on?”
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,667

ydoethur said:

You know what will piss off the frothers even more? The Tories should circulate a list of Labour MPs and officials who've broken the lockdown - and you can bet there will be some - and ask Starmer if he's going to immediately expel them from the party, since the silly hypocrite has already said he would have fired Cummings.

Why is Stephen Kinnock still a Labour MP, Mr. Starmer?

One rule for Labour, and one for everyone else? :wink:

He didn’t break quarantine. Nor did he stay away from his house overnight. Nor did he even enter another dwelling.

Equating Kinnock’s minor infringement of the strict letter of the law with this coach and horses action by Cummings is frankly bonkers. Even Jenrick was far less culpable.
    Funny how all the excuses come out when it's not Cummings, isn't it? Where's the absolutist moralizing now?

How about Tahir Ali?

Oh, he's a Labour MP and not Cummings, so it's all right, of course.
    Why do you think it is just anti Tories posting this stuff. It isn't. It really isn't.

You just ignored the points ydoethur made as to why it wasn't so serious. You also ignored the fact that Jenrick is a Tory so you can't claim it is political bias.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Alistair said:

Having a bit of a wobble, he could be gone this week.

Getting rid of Cummings won't be enough anymore..
    No, the damage has been done. Just like Black Wednesday. The fact that following that 24 hour fiasco we actually paved the way for our outstanding economic success was totally lost by the spectacle of Lamont and Major fumbling and obfuscating on the steps of the Treasury and Downing St. It was astonishing.

So is this.

Good point by Ydoethur below about the difference in majorities although some say it's better to have a small majority than a larger one. I anticipate a cascade of rebellions ahead on votes in the HoC.
    Blair suffered far more, far larger rebellions than Major. As early as 1997, 60 backbenchers rebelled over welfare changes. More Labour backbenchers rebelled over top up fees than over Iraq.

He survived ten years and three election victories.
    He remained popular with the voters. Id be amazed if Johnson is not net negative now.
    So was Major. Albeit less popular than Blair by the finish.

Bluntly, I’ve never understood what people see in Johnson but then, he was only up against Corbyn.
    I voted for Corbyn - as he was the least worst option, perhaps now people can see why,
    I’m afraid I still have to disagree. However awful Johnson and Cummings are, Corbyn and Milne would have been a thousand times worse.

Difficult to imagine right now, but given both of them were even stupider than J and C, and even more racist, lazy, authoritarian and arrogant, I’m confident they would have found even more spectacular ways to screw things up. Probably, for a start, they would have taken advantage of the crisis to nationalise most of the major businesses and the rented housing sector, sending the economy into a prolonged death spiral from which no exit could be found.

I voted for none of the three candidates on offer here. Instead, I tore up my ballot paper. I still think I made the right decision.
    I agree with you, Doc, about Corbyn and Milne, but that's not really the point. That's like defending Blair on Iraq because the opposition was even more gung-ho on his policy (which it was.)

The Government makes the calls and takes the responsibility if it calls it wrong. Doesn't matter what the hypothetical alternative crew might have done.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

That letter, gut wrenching as it is, is as much a protest against lockdown as it is against Cummings.

I was listening to a leading dentist on the radio talking about the awful privations that some unfortunates have gone through and are still going through because the industry was summarily shut down in panic and has not re-opened.

Lockdown has unleashed a terrible barbarism is shattering our country socially and economically.

I;ve said it consistently and as the evidence mounts I believe it more than ever.

Long lockdown is the worst policy mistake by any British government, ever. By a street.

Long lockdown where the high and the mighty could come and go as they please was the worst policy mistake by any government.
    How many government advisors and Cabinet ministers have seen a dentist in last eight weeks?

We should be told.
    Very few. Dentists are closed* as they need PPE suitable for Aerosol Generating Procedures. It is not like garden centres.

* There are a few equipped for emergency work.
  • Options

I’m unusual in that I can’t get exercised by the Cummings stuff. Tens of thousands of people have broken the lockdown rules, which are completely unsustainable. Why should he be any different?

What I am concerned about is the utter chaos at the heart of government. This is the administration that is supposed to be leading us out of this thing. They look like complete amateurs - absolute clowns.

It doesn’t bode well. We have a clueless PM leading a cabinet of idiots in a time of national crisis.

If it was just lockdown rules, an apology would probably be fine.

Its that its quarantine! He had/claims to have had/his wife had/claims to have had covid symptoms and people he was close to had tested positive. Spreading the deadly virus 350 miles up and down the country is not just breaking lockdown.
    As with many things in politics, it's not the crime but the cover up and special pleading that make it so toxic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    MaxPB said:

No, you're simply wrong. I know a lot of members who have or are considering resigning over this. If the party membership can't accept it then the voters definitely can't. This is going to run and run. If Boris is still PM in 2024 I could see a Blair style victory for Starmer, Boris has lot his one reason to vote for him - he is a posho everyman who calls it and says it like it is.

Imagine for a minute the party roles were reversed and this was Blair holding onto Ali Campbell after he'd done exactly what Dom has done with Boris as LOTO. He'd tell it how it is and say it can't be one rule from us and another for them. Boris would place himself in with the plebs, he's done it successfully for his whole political career. Until now. If Boris can no longer see what it means to be a pleb and he's become so isolated from ordinary people then he's of no use as a leader because he won't win the next election.

Tbh, the same goes for Dom as well. He's always cast himself into the role as defender of the downtrodden, but now he's doing the treading and damaging those people he claims to represent (and has done well for a long time).

If you think this blows over without anygthig changing then you're even denser than you appear.
    And that's before people are hit by the mother of all economic recessions.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    edited May 2020
    Reflecting on last night's statement by Boris(where he lost my support) it was self evident that when he started spreaking his breathing was laboured and he gave me the impression he just did not have the energy to make a sensible argument, addressing the various issues, and in fairness referring the whole matter to the cabinet secretary

He has made a terrible error of judgment that has undermined his authority, embarrassed many of us, and he is a very diminished political figure this morning

And let me make this clear this has nothing to do with brexit, it has all to do with supporting millions of suffering people trying to follow HMG advice and the perception of so many that this is just wrong

Even if Boris sacks him, and I very much doubt he will, last night will be seen, dare I say it, as his'poll tax' moment and I hope he decides due to his obvious health issues to stand down and spend time with Carrie and his young son

On a personal note I am actually quite sorry for him and I know many of his fiercest critics will be celebrating his fall from grace, but for me I hold no bitterness, just sadness.

And I still remain a member of the party and hope that wiser heads will take control as we move forward and into the economic armaggedon we are all facing over the years to come
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

One MP in a Red Wall seat contacted the Guardian’s northern editor, Helen Pidd, to say: “I think he should go. It’s cut through. Massively. He’s a liability.”

The MP said they had received over 100 angry emails about Cummings, with the “non-lefties” expressing the same sentiment as Monday’s Daily Mail front page: “What planet are they on?”

It's too late, until 17:00 yesterday it was enough that Cummings went.
    At 17:02 it became essential that Boris went as well - his reduced intellectual capacity and tiredness become obvious for all to see.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

The possibility that there might actually be a non-Brexit related controversy involving Cummings hasn’t yet penetrated. That the Mail, plus many prominent Brexiteers have lambasted him over this might be a clue that, you know, this is about something he’s actually done - would require a big shift in outlook.

I swear if Cummings was to shoot someone in the street shouting "I'm glad I Domminic Cummings kill him" there would be people on here posting "prosecuting Dominic Cummings would just be giving in to the left wing anti-Brexit hate mob"
    Perhaps because:

Cummings was literally one of the key architects of the whole lockdown policy and its communication.

Will be interesting if we do get a blow-by-blow account of his actions, accompanied by evidence that he checked it was OK first. The fact that he was, it`s said, talked to by police but but not charged, and police guidance gives him cover.

This story could take an unexpected turn yet, though I doubt it because surely Johnson would have made a better defence than yesterday`s abysmal effort.

Kinnock was promoted to the Shadow front bench by Starmer two weeks after his little episode. Starmer said yesterday if he was PM he would sack Cummings, yet not only did he not sack Kinnock he promoted him.

Double standards much?
    I could but if you cannot see it for yourself then there is little point
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

You know what will piss off the frothers even more? The Tories should circulate a list of Labour MPs and officials who've broken the lockdown - and you can bet there will be some - and ask Starmer if he's going to immediately expel them from the party, since the silly hypocrite has already said he would have fired Cummings.

He didn’t break quarantine. Nor did he stay away from his house overnight. Nor did he even enter another dwelling.

Equating Kinnock’s minor infringement of the strict letter of the law with this coach and horses action by Cummings is frankly bonkers. Even Jenrick was far less culpable.
    Funny how all the excuses come out when it's not Cummings, isn't it? Where's the absolutist moralizing now?

How about Tahir Ali?

Well, now you’re showing your true colours. Let’s make it easy.

CUMMINGS DROVE A SICK PERSON 262 MILES ACROSS ENGLAND TO STAY IN A SECOND HOUSE WHEN GOVERNMENT RULES WERE TO STAY AT HOME. HE DID THIS BECAUSE HE WANTED TO STAY IN A HOUSE WITH A GARDEN. HE ALSO DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAW.

KINNOCK WENT TO HIS FATHER’S HOUSE FOR A SHORT CHAT. HE STAYED IN THE GARDEN. HE DID NOT STAY AWAY OVERNIGHT. HE WAS NOT SHOWING SYMPTOMS.

NO REASONABLE OR INTELLIGENT PERSON WOULD DRAW A PARALLEL BETWEEN THE TWO.

Is that clear enough? Do you and other apologists for this loathsome scumbag who has broken every rule in the book need it in words of one syllable?

Your tribalism is blinding you to what has happened, to the extent you are indulging in utterly ridiculous whataboutery. And that is why this is cutting through and making you hated.

You want credibility? He and Johnson have to go. To be blunt, they should never have been there to start with. This sort of disaster was always on the cards given how fundamentally stupid and arrogant they both are.

Incidentally I don’t speak as any supporter of Kinnock. But your attempts to draw parallels are embarrassing you.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Devil's advocate:

Indeed. I imagine he was given one hell of a shouting at by the PM yesterday, but Johnson knows that DC is too important to his whole project to let him go - even if it means a week more of today's headlines.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,386

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Perhaps because:

What's worse:

a) some scrote nicking a Mars Bar from Tesco; or
    b) the local Chief Constable nicking a Mars Bar from Tesco?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Why is Tahir Ali still a Labour MP, Mr. Starmer?

I appreciate that you are being deliberately obtuse, but Cummings didn't breech Lockdown, he breeched Quarantine while actively viral.

Big difference, particularly as the government has self isolation in Quarantine as a core part of relaxing lockdown.

Or had intended so. Self Isolation is toast now.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Perhaps because:

Double standards much?
    That takes me back to the school playground.
  • Options
    If you look as JK Rowling's tweet what you really see is emptiness behind what the British people have been asked to do and the reasons they have been asked to do it.

It was never worth it then and it isn;t worth it now.

There are reasons why no British government ever shut down the country's economy and house arrested its healthy citizens. Reasons of humanity, liberty, freedom and civilisation.

Hopefully these will become important again.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

We will see Government approval fall further when they have to take "tough" decisions about how to pay for all of this.

Getting everyone to lock down, whilst paying most of their salaries to do so, was always the easy bit.

The next year or more is going to be horrendous for governments everywhere, with a major global recession and huge borrowing to pay for.

Meanwhile, the U.K. press pack are going to spend the next week worrying about the minutiae of one guy’s calendar a couple of months ago, more interested in getting their scalp than actually holding the government to account.
    They won't there will be more meatier stories to focus on.

But on quiet news days it's the perfect story to bring up as I suspect a new spin will sell a lot of papers for the next couple of years.
    Oh indeed, but meanwhile we still have an app that doesn’t work and can’t be made to work - which is a much more serious actual issue.
    You know that, I know that, most people will now just refuse to download because well, why should I?
  • Options

nichomar said:

TGOHF666 said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF666 said:

Can’t believe they made Scott set his alarm AGAIN on a Bank Holiday to post tweets in a doomed cause.

Tough break Scott.

What doomed cause is this? I'm genuinely baffled by that term!
    To get Dom - in revenge for Brexit.

That’s all this is about - in the end.
    Bollocks.
    Any person with a half a brain cell knows what this is about, to deny it is childish.

Tom Harwood just gave the true account of what is happening
    Do Hartley Brewer, Dale and Montgomery have half a brain cell?
    Personally I think the whole thing is a disaster that has been made much worse by the way the Tories have handled it. The press conference was abysmal, I agree with Big G that Boris seems to be a shadow of his former self and I would be surprised if he clings on much past the end of the year.

But throughout this whole pandemic the media are after a gotcha moment, they are determined to bring Johnson down and have an EU friendly Tory leader that will extend the transition period. They've only got a few weeks to do it and this is the final push.

From the little I know of Cummings he seems a confrontational type with little regard for anyone else, in normal circumstances I would agree that he should go but in this case I hope he stays, just to piss off the media
    Complete rubbish this has nothing to do with the EU you are deluded.
    I would agree this has nothing to do with the EU, but it has everything to do with a Remain frenzied media that are desperate to keep us in it.

Let's see how this pans out before you decide if I am deluded
    Still fighting the war you won? This is about the handling of the pandemic, it has nothing to do with former Remainers or Leavers.

For what it is worth, I am a former Remainer who thought Cummings should stay as a snub to the baying press pack. I couldn't in my wildest nightmares have imagined Boris could make such a horlicks of keeping Cummings on board
    It's not won yet though, I can see Hunt being installed within the next few weeks and extending the transition period by a couple of years.

I 100% agree with your second paragraph
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,229
    At least one mystery has been cleared up, we now apparently know the ditch in which Boris is willing to die.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    Foxy said:

We should be told.
    Very few. Dentists are closed* as they need PPE suitable for Aerosol Generating Procedures. It is not like garden centres.

Mrs DA's surgery has been shut since March 23rd and she hasn't seen a single patient since then.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029

This is getting desperate.
    AFAIK Kinnock was delivering food and, AIUI, has made no secret of what he did. Not sure about Ali.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,585
    Quite a few Tory MPs have still said precisely nothing about all this. This includes my own MP, just elected for the first time in a solid northern Tory seat.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    MaxPB said:

Is this the PR stance I would have chosen in an ideal world? Nope. Do I have a sense of perspective that people are not going to smoulder about this for years? Yes. I've also never been a party member, for all the relevance that has.

Think back to all the major scandals that burned hot and ultimately didn't change anything - except it's hard to do that because one has naturally forgotten most of them. A million people marched against Blair and he just shrugged it off. Are a million people going to march against Cummings?

Maybe I'm weird, but when it comes to my political and social attitudes I simply don't bend in the wind with a single news event, however good or bad. And let's face it, what Cummings did merits what, a £30 fine, if that? And suddenly we're in a nuclear war over it? No thanks.
  • Options

Reflecting on last night's statement by Boris(where he lost my support) it was self evident that when he started spreaking his breathing was laboured and he gave me the impression he just did not have the energy to make a sensible argument, addressing the various issues, and in fairness referring the whole matter to the cabinet secretary

He has made a terrible error of judgment that has undermined his authority, embarrassed many of us, and he is a very diminished political figure this morning

And let me make this clear this has nothing to do with brexit, it has all to do with supporting millions of suffering people trying to follow HMG advice and the perception of so many that this is just wrong

Even if Boris sacks him, and I very much doubt he will, last night will be seen, dare I say it, as his'poll tax' moment and I hope he decides due to his obvious health issues to stand down and spend time with Carrie and his young son

On a personal note I am actually quite sorry for him and I know many of his fiercest critics will be celebrating his fall from grace, but for me I hold no bitterness, just sadness.

And I still remain a member of the party and hope that wiser heads will take control as we move forward and into the economic armaggedon we are all facing over the years to come

And the party needs Boris and Cummings to be the fall guys for that - when it becomes obvious in July / September.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

We should be told.

The senior dentist guy reckoned many now have the equipment .

What do you think about the desperate suffering and the wave of medieval style treatments those barbaric rules have unleashed?

Are you telling me they are worth it? Even in the questionable circumstance that they make any difference whatsoever.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There's definitely criticism to be made of the government and their handling of all this, but does Alastair "45 minutes" Campbell seriously think he's the right one to be making it?
    He's probably one of many people making it and it's nice to have a template to work from.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Mr. DHSS, I don't know about the Ali situation, but Kinnock was delivering food/medicine to his elderly parents which I believe was specifically permitted under the guidance/law.

I appreciate that, but that is just about as plausable as Cummings excuse. That is, not very plausable at all.

Do we really believe that he made a 400 mile round trip to deliver food and medicine, when there are volunteer teams that do that, not to mention any neighbours.
    No, because he didn’t. He lives in London. (Also, South Wales is not 200 miles from London.)

Honestly, the attempts here to draw an equivalence are making me wonder if the entirety of the Tory loyalists have been placed under mass hypnosis.
  • Options

Bravo Zulu, Big G.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scenario:

Johnson is a dead duck, and he knows it. He’s got max 24 months.

Johnson needs something big to save his Churchillian self-image. Brexit insufficient as it will be accepted to be idiocy by future generations.

What other “biggies” remain for a dead duck PM? War within next year seems profoundly unlikely. Answer: regain English independence.

SNP+SGP win Scottish GE next year and request new Edinburgh Agreement. Johnson negotiates one with them.

During referendum run-up, after flirting with No, Johnson eventually plumps for Yes (cf run-up to Brexit referendum).

Johnson and Yes win.

Johnson thinks he is the new Churchill (or Athelstan or King Billy or whoever).

England (still clinging on to Wales) and Scotland join UN.

NI finally f.... off, to everyone’s immense relief (except Dublin’s).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Perhaps because:

What's worse:

Good point but I'm not sure that two Mp's, one of whom is on the Shadow front bench, would appreciate being called a scrote
  • Options

AFAIK Kinnock was delivering food and, AIUI, has made no secret of what he did. Not sure about Ali.

And so once again, when it comes to Labour MPs, the absolutist moralizing goes out the window. I wonder why?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Excellent post.

The daft thing is this could have been dealt with:

Boris: I have met Dominic. I understand the serious family issues that arose and how hard this was and the tough decisions that had to be made. However those decisions are having to be many by many everyday across the country, etc.

Dominic writes a letter to Boris on the same theme and offers his resignation.

Boris does the decent thing accepting the difficult circumstances and understanding that and although a mistake was made under difficult circumstances declines to accept the resignation as getting over the pandemic is more important than this.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Perhaps because:

Double standards much?
    That takes me back to the school playground.
    Yes but I didn't start it!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Is this the PR stance I would have chosen in an ideal world? Nope. Do I have a sense of perspective that people are not going to smoulder about this for years? Yes. I've also never been a party member, for all the relevance that has.

Think back to all the major scandals that burned hot and ultimately didn't change anything - except it's hard to do that because one has naturally forgotten most of them. A million people marched against Blair and he just shrugged it off. Are a million people going to march against Cummings?

Maybe I'm weird, but when it comes to my political and social attitudes I simply don't bend in the wind with a single news event, however good or bad. And let's face it, what Cummings did merits what, a £30 fine, if that? And suddenly we're in a nuclear war over it? No thanks.
    So to repeat my question of last night. Do you think this is a competent administration, and this fuck up the last they will make?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Perhaps because:

What's worse:

Good point but I'm not sure that two Mp's, one of whom is on the Shadow front bench, would appreciate being called a scrote
    Well in the grand scheme of things...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Devil's advocate:

Indeed. I imagine he was given one hell of a shouting at by the PM yesterday, but Johnson knows that DC is too important to his whole project to let him go - even if it means a week more of today's headlines.
    A week? Jeez, this will define the entire period Boris is in office.

You think he'll resign that soon?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    fox327 said:

I am not clear that Cummings has in fact broken any rules.

I keep asking this. Even if people swallow the bizarre argument that the child was in some kind of imminent danger of harm and had to be taken to Durham, WHAT CONCEIVABLE JUSTIFICATION WAS THERE FOR CUMMINGS'S SYMPTOMATIC WIFE TO BE DRIVEN TO THE OTHER END OF THE COUNTRY TOO?
  • Options
    IF Boris and Cummings go it will be because of their policy, and not their conduct in relation to it.

Boris nearly lost his life trying to fight this thing, something he could have mentioned yesterday but didn;t.

• Options
    Oh, yes, of course we should take advice from Alistair Campbell about good governance!

Because in Insane Frothers World driving to Durham is worse than bombing Iraq.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

What other “biggies” remain for a dead duck PM? War within next year seems profoundly unlikely. Answer: regain English independence.

Lol, nice try.

No, he needs to be bolder.

Build Boris Island. Move Hong Kong to it.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Quite a few Tory MPs have still said precisely nothing about all this. This includes my own MP, just elected for the first time in a solid northern Tory seat.

Yes, I'm in a Tory held seat in southern Scotland. Won't be holding my breath, as our particular donkey in a blue rosette barely knows what day it is at the best of times.
  • Options

Scenario:

Johnson is a dead duck, and he knows it. He’s got max 24 months.

Johnson needs something big to save his Churchillian self-image. Brexit insufficient as it will be accepted to be idiocy by future generations.

SNP+SGP win Scottish GE next year and request new Edinburgh Agreement. Johnson negotiates one with them.

During referendum run-up, after flirting with No, Johnson eventually plumps for Yes (cf run-up to Brexit referendum).

Johnson and Yes win.

Johnson thinks he is the new Churchill (or Athelstan or King Billy or whoever).

England (still clinging on to Wales) and Scotland join UN.

NI finally f.... off, to everyone’s immense relief (except Dublin’s).

As soon as one of the major Westminster parties changes their position on the union, it will be unsustainable.

On NI, perhaps Arlene Foster will be the unionist to think the unthinkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKvUnavS-E
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,301
    That's a superb leader from the Daily Mail. Not a word wasted. Not a word out of place. Tabloid journalism at its finest.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

We will see Government approval fall further when they have to take "tough" decisions about how to pay for all of this.

Getting everyone to lock down, whilst paying most of their salaries to do so, was always the easy bit.

The next year or more is going to be horrendous for governments everywhere, with a major global recession and huge borrowing to pay for.

Meanwhile, the U.K. press pack are going to spend the next week worrying about the minutiae of one guy’s calendar a couple of months ago, more interested in getting their scalp than actually holding the government to account.
    They won't there will be more meatier stories to focus on.

But on quiet news days it's the perfect story to bring up as I suspect a new spin will sell a lot of papers for the next couple of years.
    Oh indeed, but meanwhile we still have an app that doesn’t work and can’t be made to work - which is a much more serious actual issue.
    You know that, I know that, most people will now just refuse to download because well, why should I?
    That's actually becoming a big problem for everyone not using the off-the-shelf Apple/Google solution - even in really authoritarian places, where everyone usually does as they're told.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/qatar-virus-tracing-app-stirs-rare-privacy-backlash-1.1024415
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Wisdom comes with age and over my 76years I have learnt that something like dismissing Cummings with a £30 fine misses the heart of the issue, millions feel it is one law for the elite another for the people and Boris just lost his USP in one act of stupidity
  • Options
    kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Excellent post.

Boris: I have met Dominic. I understand the serious family issues that arose and how hard this was and the tough decisions that had to be made. However those decisions are having to be many by many everyday across the country, etc.

Boris does the decent thing accepting the difficult circumstances and understanding that and although a mistake was made under difficult circumstances declines to accept the resignation as getting over the pandemic is more important than this.
    Yep - brains the size of a planet but miss the blatently obvious get out clause.

Mind you https://twitter.com/jjs999jjs/status/1264654658066358277

could explain why things are the way they are.
  • Options

If you look as JK Rowling's tweet what you really see is emptiness behind what the British people have been asked to do and the reasons they have been asked to do it.

There are reasons why no British government ever shut down the country's economy and house arrested its healthy citizens. Reasons of humanity, liberty, freedom and civilisation.

Look, if you are going to make this your chosen specialised subject, have the basic courtesy to inform yourself about it. Read a book or even wikipedia about the 1665 plague, find out what the watch was and what it did to the houses of the infected, learn what the government did about theatres, and ask yourself why the government would bother to shut down the rest of the economy when 95% of trade shut itself down anyway.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

So to repeat my question of last night. Do you think this is a competent administration, and this fuck up the last they will make?
    Yes and no.

All governments face pressure and fuck ups. Any that didn't are clearly not facing pressure or making tough choices.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

MaxPB said:

I'm fairly certain we all remember the headlines of a month ago. An issue that isn't "going away" and one that will damage the party for a generation.

"Care Home Coronavirus Deaths Top 4,000"
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How about Tahir Ali?

CUMMINGS DROVE A SICK PERSON 262 MILES ACROSS ENGLAND TO STAY IN A SECOND HOUSE WHEN GOVERNMENT RULES WERE TO STAY AT HOME. HE DID THIS BECAUSE HE WANTED TO STAY IN A HOUSE WITH A GARDEN. HE ALSO DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAW.

KINNOCK WENT TO HIS FATHER’S HOUSE FOR A SHORT CHAT. HE STAYED IN THE GARDEN. HE DID NOT STAY AWAY OVERNIGHT. HE WAS NOT SHOWING SYMPTOMS.

Is that clear enough? Do you and other apologists for this loathsome scumbag who has broken every rule in the book need it in words of one syllable?

Your tribalism is blinding you to what has happened, to the extent you are indulging in utterly ridiculous whataboutery. And that is why this is cutting through and making you hated.

You want credibility? He and Johnson have to go. To be blunt, they should never have been there to start with. This sort of disaster was always on the cards given how fundamentally stupid and arrogant they both are.

Incidentally I don’t speak as any supporter of Kinnock. But your attempts to draw parallels are embarrassing you.
    Yes, shouting really does makes it look like the exposure of your double standards hasn't gotten to you. Either they should all go, or none of them should.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,802
    Scott_xP said:
    Thats ridiculous if they are doing that, its not going to help!
  • Options

And so once again, when it comes to Labour MPs, the absolutist moralizing goes out the window. I wonder why?
    Jenrick too don't forget
  • Options
    mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

I'm fairly certain we all remember the headlines of a month ago. An issue that isn't "going away" and one that will damage the party for a generation.

Is anyone talking about care homes today? No, they're all too busy frothing about a single SpaD to give a damn. And in a month they'll be frothing about something else. That's the nature of the news cycle and the human attention span.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Doing that is insane; plenty of people know about them. Animal Farm comes to mind.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

That's surprising. He is self-evidently a one-term MP so he may as well speak his mind.
  • Options
    Interesting if longish read

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) Tweeted: Cummings. The Prime Minister is now gambling on what the ’22 does next. https://t.co/x73G8MLqUS https://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1264832991261491200?s=20
  • Options
    eek said:

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Excellent post.

Yep - brains the size of a planet but miss the blatently obvious get out clause.

Mind you https://twitter.com/jjs999jjs/status/1264654658066358277

could explain why things are the way they are.
    Starmer and Carrie Symonds are linked too, though not romantically
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Look, if you are going to make this your chosen specialised subject, have the basic courtesy to inform yourself about it. Read a book or even wikipedia about the 1665 plague, find out what the watch was and what it did to the houses of the infected, learn what the government did about theatres, and ask yourself why the government would bother to shut down the rest of the economy when 95% of trade shut itself down anyway.
    The key word there is infected. Sick people were quarantined. There was no house arrest of the healthy or restrictions on their movement, as far as I;m aware.

And the fact you have to go back to the ignorant depths of 1665 in an attempt to justify this barbaric and catastrophic policy speaks volumes to me.
  • Options

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

Is anyone talking about care homes today? No, they're all too busy frothing about a single SpaD to give a damn. And in a month they'll be frothing about something else. That's the nature of the news cycle and the human attention span.
    Nope, any sensible journalist will be keeping the care home story prepared, ready for when this story has ran it's course.

If you think this is hiding the care home story you are in for a hell of a surprise.
  • Options

IF Boris and Cummings go it will be because of their policy, and not their conduct in relation to it.

Boris nearly lost his life trying to fight this thing, something he could have mentioned yesterday but didn;t.

One could argue that he nearly lost his life because he wanted to pretend it wasn't a big deal, shaking hands in hospitals, delaying imposing measures to contain it. But that might be as disingenuous as claiming that getting the disease somehow proves his capability to lead in the crisis.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

It will be well over 4,000 but I don't have actual figures. 40,000 wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Someone needs to stop doing that, and quickly. Does no-one with any decent IT knowledge work in the Cabinet Office?

There's no point in pretending the internet has a delete button, trying to get rid of stuff just adds to the story.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How about Tahir Ali?

Yes, shouting really does makes it look like the exposure of your double standards hasn't gotten to you. Either they should all go, or none of them should.
    'got to you', not 'gotten to you". Are you posting from UK?
  • Options

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

You need to re-read the John Wilson letter if you can't see the connection.
  • Options
    Right I am off to enjoy the day rather than get wound up on here!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Lads 6/4 shortened to 11/8 on Cummings going by end May.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    eek said:

It's too late, until 17:00 yesterday it was enough that Cummings went.
    At 17:02 it became essential that Boris went as well - his reduced intellectual capacity and tiredness become obvious for all to see.
    Yep. If Cummings resigns now it looks like it is a result of political expediency rather than anything else. Boris has to stick with him to the bitter end to save face.

It will take time and it might iron out eventually, however Boris should start negotiating his golden handshake, just in case.
  • Options

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

But they are talking about care homes. They are talking about the people left to die without family or friends, in care homes and hospitals. And they will return to it again and again because it is a huge open sore on the nation. Whether you think it is government's fault or not, it will not go away.
  • Options

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

I remember when making overseas NHS workers pay the NHS surcharge was the defining moment of this government's tenure

Who gives a f8ck about that now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How about Tahir Ali?

Nonsense, there are degrees. None of these people suspected they had the virus.

And just so you don't think this is because I am a Labour supporter, I am not. I have never voted for them.

Also their impact on undermining the lockdown was less. I don't know all the cases but those I do know about come under the heading of public bollocking.

Corollary: Are you suggesting that all criminals get the same penalty for crimes ranging from littering to mass murder?
  • Options

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

The fact that the government is culpable over thousands of unnecessary and unnecessarily horrible deaths is not the squirrel I would have chosen to point at. Like defending a prosecution for not wearing a seatbelt on the basis of an alibi that you were elsewhere raping a small child at the time of the alleged offence.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I think public anger will force Cummings out. I’ve gone back into the market. £50 at 31/20.

Leave + £150.50
    Remain -£51.20
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

How about Tahir Ali?

'got to you', not 'gotten to you". Are you posting from UK?
    Could be a UK post, but from the 17th Century 😀
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Loyalty is the absolute backbone of human relationships. There's literally nothing I value more highly than it in my personal life, and nothing I despise more than disloyalty, so maybe that's why my gut reaction to this is so strong, quite apart from my obvious partisanship.

If someone does good to you, you must do good to them. End of discussion.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,585
    edited May 2020
    Chris said:

fox327 said:

I keep asking this. Even if people swallow the bizarre argument that the child was in some kind of imminent danger of harm and had to be taken to Durham, WHAT CONCEIVABLE JUSTIFICATION WAS THERE FOR CUMMINGS'S SYMPTOMATIC WIFE TO BE DRIVEN TO THE OTHER END OF THE COUNTRY TOO?
    Has Cummings broken any rules. This question has to be broken down into parts:

1) What do you mean by 'rule'. This can cover law, advice, guidance and practice. For example there is no 'law' about social distancing but lots of guidance. Let's take it to mean 'law'.

2) The relevant law is fairly simple. It is illegal to leave the premises you are living in without 'reasonable excuse'. The list of 13 excuses in the section is only exemplary and not exhaustive. The section says so.

3) The PM has majored on going to and staying at Durham. For this to be legal all DC needed was a 'reasonable excuse' to leave his premises and take up residence in another. This is at least arguable (though BTW not to me remotely convincing).

4) The Barnard Castle trip is more interesting, because it has neither been admitted or denied - so it almost certainly is true. No explanation has been offered. In practice that must be either because there isn't one or they are only going to suggest one if necessity dictates, as the ice is so thin.

5) If he left his premises to go to Barnard Castle without a reasonable excuse he broke the law. Whether he should have been isolating or not at the time makes no difference. The same would be true for everyone going anywhere on 12 April.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

I remember when making overseas NHS workers pay the NHS surcharge was the defining moment of this government's tenure

Because the government U-turned.
  • Options

Interesting if longish read

Paul Goodman (@PaulGoodmanCH) Tweeted: Cummings. The Prime Minister is now gambling on what the ’22 does next. https://t.co/x73G8MLqUS ttps://twitter.com/PaulGoodmanCH/status/1264832991261491200?s=20

That's a fair piece. The PM needs to find a way to keep his MPs on side, and hope things blow over as the news moves on to more serious matters.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Yes and no.

All governments face pressure and fuck ups. Any that didn't are clearly not facing pressure or making tough choices.
    So you give them a free pass on everything. Fair enough. Not what I would call a paragon of critical thinking but I certainly understand your position.
  • Options

Right I am off to enjoy the day rather than get wound up on here!

Have day out in Barnard Castle.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Perhaps because:

Double standards much?
    Cummings and/or his wife was displaying symptoms.

Kinnnock wasn't.

Oh look already not comparable.
  • Options

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

It is because it has been superseded by this and of course the Govt changed its policy.

Again Corollary: MP steals mars bar - outrage, then commits murder. Mars bar gets forgotten naturally.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

fox327 said:

Has Cummings broken any rules. This question has to be broken down into parts:

1) What do you mean by 'rule'. This can cover law, advice, guidance and practice. For example there is no 'law' about social distancing but lots of guidance. Let's take it to mean 'law'.

2) The relevant law is fairly simple. It is illegal to leave the premises you are living in without 'reasonable excuse'. The list of 13 excuses in the section is only exemplary and not exhaustive. The section says so.

3) The PM has majored on going to and staying at Durham. For this to be legal all DC needed was a 'reasonable excuse' to leave his premises and take up residence in another. This is at least arguable (though BTW not to me remotely convincing).

4) The Barnard Castle trip is more interesting, because it has neither been admitted or denied - so it almost certainly is true. No explanation has been offered. In practice that must be either because there isn't one or they are only going to suggest one if necessity dictates, as the ice is so thin.

5) If he left his premises to go to Barnard Castle without a reasonable excuse he broke the law.
    Seems to sum it up well. Re: 5) are you assuming this trip was within 14 days or outside of it?
  • Options
    eek said:

mwadams said:

MaxPB said:

It will be well over 4,000 but I don't have actual figures. 40,000 wouldn't surprise me.
    (That was the ITV news headline at the end of April. The point being that we do remember wha the story was a month ago and that it hasn't gone away!)
This discussion has been closed.