Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Social Distancing: How Far? How Long For?

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Any news on Patel?

We all thought she was thick. But maybe she has pulled the old trip to the dentist stunt?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

All this about Dom and Boris is one thing. But the other side of the coin is the press and commentariat. They've had this story for many weeks, but have waited till now to pull the trigger on a coordinated strike just before the lock-down is eased to maximise the political damage. What is their game? Is it to do with Brexit, as Brendan suggests?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-disturbing-moral-outrage-over-cummings

Two answers:-

1. Verifying the story.
    2. They weren’t going to do it while Boris was ill or immediately after his baby was born.
    I don't buy 1 - they are seldom that slow to do verification, especially in a simple case like this. Not sure if I buy 2 either. Sensitive souls in the Mirror/Guardian/Mail - pull the other one!

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Except.... Reicher is another crazed Remoaner

https://twitter.com/WeBackBoris/status/1264625053917949953?s=20

Dig deep enough, and almost everything comes down to Brexit
    He gave his reasons for his view:

https://twitter.com/reicherstephen/status/1264610669237862407?s=21

Nothing about Brexit in any of that. All of it makes complete sense.
    But it is still Brexit. You know it, I know it
    This has got sod all to do with Brexit. Britain has left the EU and, in case you didn't notice, it's not the story any more.

If you genuinely cannot understand the seething anger from the public, who have made immense sacrifices, at being essentially told they are mugs who somehow don't love their children enough, then you're a moron.
    Sigh. I understand the anger. I have been extremely critical of this government over their handling of covid-19. On this site. I believe they have been criminally negligent and careers should end. Possibly including the PM's

My point is that the EXTREME ferocity aimed at Cummings is because he did a Brexit on the lawn of posh people. He is verily disliked, thereby
    Not in my case - it's because he created this lockdown mess and then wilfully ignored it himself.

Heck it seems he ignored it a second time to see his parents due to the death of his uncle - when a lot of people were unable to travel to see their spouse or parents prior or even after their death because HSE stated that it wasn't an essential journey.

Plus Cummings is an arrogant twat.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,200

Scott_xP said:
    And all of a sudden people who hate the Daily Mail and consider it to be everything wrong with Britain want its headlines to run the country.
    No. You conflate “agreeing with an opinion” with “running the country”. They are very subtly different things.
  • Options
    Sun tries to sit on fence.

That's probably bad, as not exactly full support.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

It was only 75 years ago that Britain cold blooded and deliberate , went out of its way to try and kill (of all ages) 50,000 people in the fire bombing of Dresden.

25,000, not 50,000. The latter figure is based on the lies of infamous neo-Nazi pseudoscholar, forger and propagandist David Irving.

25,000 is bad enough. There is no need to exaggerate it.
  • Options
    Well I hate the Daily Mail but on this particular issue we are aligned.
  • Options
    eadric said:

If Cummings survives that Daily Mail headline then it is clear he has done a Faust.

Yes. Setting all the politics aside, this is fascinating. If he survives it breaks all the rules
    Johnson can't cope with government without his chief aide seems to be the message.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

All this about Dom and Boris is one thing. But the other side of the coin is the press and commentariat. They've had this story for many weeks, but have waited till now to pull the trigger on a coordinated strike just before the lock-down is eased to maximise the political damage. What is their game? Is it to do with Brexit, as Brendan suggests?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-disturbing-moral-outrage-over-cummings

Two answers:-

1. Verifying the story.
    2. They weren’t going to do it while Boris was ill or immediately after his baby was born.
    I don't buy 1 - they are seldom that slow to do verification, especially in a simple case like this. Not sure if I buy 2 either. Sensitive souls in the Mirror/Guardian/Mail - pull the other one!

Why waste a good story when there are other things to talk about? Save it for the first quiet period when you need something to fill the column inches
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes, but what do the Tory supporting papers say? No one cares what FBPE trash like (checks notes) the Daily Mail have to say!
    That noise? It's the sound of NHS clapping, lockdown abiding Middle England slowly grinding their teeth before sticking the boot in to this broken government.

In 2024?
    Yep.

People have memories.

People who couldn't see their grandkids for weeks, or did not get to go to an old friends funeral.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

In addition to the obvious, Barnard Castle (aka 'Barnie') has an old market thingy in the market place, several antique shops and some decent pubs. A nice place to visit. Nearby is the Bowes Museum.

Just incase anyone happens to be in the area.

Some time ago, I cycled from Bedford to Durham to do an OU summer school. I asked for travel expenses of two pence per mile, mainly for food. The OU paid that very quickly.

In what little time off I could get I explored the countryside around Durham. From a cyclist's-eye view one could see definite Roman influences. The Ordnance Survey maps help, and are well worth poring over..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    eadric said:

Ave_it said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Just back from a pleasant walk on Hampstead Heath. Not a lot of evidence of social distancing. Quite a bit of evidence of 'don't give a shit'. It's been a few weeks since I was in London so maybe things have been a lot looser down here than in Gloucestershire where I live now, but it may just be the Cummings fiasco is already having an impact.

I should confess that I find his account implausible. It seems to me much more likely that when his wife got sick he didn't fancy looking after her and the little one on his own so found a more congenial solution involving his parents.

Johnson performance this afternoon was abject. He had the chance to sack DC or at least explain why he didn't. He did neither. The airy waffle about 'reasonable parent' told us nothing and will have grated like hell with those who have ever experienced similar dilemmas.

Given that nobody seems to have been infected in Islington in the last week (I know Hampstead Heath is in Camden) I suspect fear has evaporated from those who are 'out and about'.

I like your second paragraph, it chimes with what Cummings's character might well be.
    Hampstead Heath is probably busier now than it has ever been. Plenty of mass picnics and people taking advantage of the weather. Part of it is probably because it is so hard to police. From personal experience of running around it, I would say the vast majority of the people in groups are in their 20s with a few families interspersed. Cannot blame them - I suspect many are stuck in cramped flats which are not particularly pleasant on a hot day.
    and tbh if nobody is being infected in Hampstead despite these gatherings it probably means herd immunity has been reached in those areas. Again shows the mortality rate is not that high overall.
    Yes, I suspect that is right. The aftermath is going to be horrible - there are a lot of people about to be made unemployed once the furloughing measures end (in fact, the redundancies are already happening) and there will be very few jobs to go to. It will be appalling.
    Fully agree - not just economic damage though also social damage especially in education and loss of focus , opportunity and anticipation in the young
    My older daughter is now clearly suffering from lockdown. She needs school and friends and social interaction. Enough of this. The cure is killing us quicker
    Agreed. This is getting ridiculous. We have always lived with illnesses, threats and so forth. The suffering being done to people by the lockdown is far exceeding the damage from the virus itself.
    It was her birthday today. She's a very sensitive age. She had to wave at friends at a social distance. Then she retreated to her phone and herself and the unending silence of lockdown.

Let the old and the fat and the vulnerable stay home if they want. Young people need to live, love, laugh
    Correct. Let the old and/or fat out too if they wish. Let them decide the risk.

Freedom! Liberty! Pubs!
    You've missed ICU off the end of your list.
    Look, if you want to stay home for the next 48 million years, because of the fairly low chance, at the moment, of catching a disease which, albeit nasty, only kills about 1% of those infected, fair enough. The rest of us are beginning to differ

We are returned to a pre-antibiotic age. You can die from a simple infection. So be it. Before Alexander Fleming found his infested petri dish, people still managed to live rich and happy lives as normal human beings, and didn't feel the need to cower in their cellars until they died of boredom
    I don't want to have to stay at home. I want the virus to be sufficiently suppressed that we get to Level 2 and the balance of risk is such that most things can go back to normal. The more people dick about now, the higher R remains and the longer it takes to get there. Premature easing of lockdown rules is also buggering things up.

My wife is in the shielding cohort. So we'll be amongst the last to return to the outside world. We'll make that call based on evidence, scientific advice and our own gut feeling. She hasn't seen her mum in months. It isn't a jolly time for us just cos we get a lie in and don't need to iron.
  • Options
    Polling is going to look dire if the Mail has lost confidence
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242

Scott_xP said:
    And all of a sudden people who hate the Daily Mail and consider it to be everything wrong with Britain want its headlines to run the country.
    Do you not understand that if the people and media that are usually cheerleaders for the politicians and politics that you despise do an about turn, it's quite a big deal and you're going to highlight it?
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

This has got sod all to do with Brexit. Britain has left the EU and, in case you didn't notice, it's not the story any more.

If you genuinely cannot understand the seething anger from the public, who have made immense sacrifices, at being essentially told they are mugs who somehow don't love their children enough, then you're a moron.
    Sigh. I understand the anger. I have been extremely critical of this government over their handling of covid-19. On this site. I believe they have been criminally negligent and careers should end. Possibly including the PM's

My point is that the EXTREME ferocity aimed at Cummings is because he did a Brexit on the lawn of posh people. He is verily disliked, thereby
    Nope. You really, really don't get it.

The people whose blood is now boiling aren't the hardened old Remoaner foe or whatever. This is visceral from people who obeyed the rules at great personal expense to save lives, and now think they were treated like mugs.
    1000x this.

Middle England is exploding tonight.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

You’re deranged.
    You honestly deny your present loathing of Dom Cummings is not in some way affected by his salient role in Brexit?

No other political aide would generate this level of anger at his misdeeds, no matter how annoying or unusual his persona, or choice of hoodies.

It's because he is seen as the man who delivered that astonishing Leave victory, and made people like you miserable and bitter for the rest of time, that he is such a focus.

You should be happy. Or, at least, happier. I sense you are about to get your scalp.
    I don’t loathe Dominic Cummings for his current misdeeds. He is in fact a point of interest in this government and without him it will be duller.

The only reason he’s still in his job is because of who he is. Any Cabinet minister would long ago have been sacked. Leavers have become so deranged that they mistake anger at his arrogance for a plot against Brexit.

Ironically, they have probably set back their mad cause substantially by defending him so senselessly.
  • Options
    TBF, I don’t really care what planet he eventually alights on as long as it isn’t this one.
  • Options
    Rules Of England 101: Play fair

Cummings: Bollocks to that, rules are for little people and their little lives.

Bye!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355

I am sure it will but the more important issue is why has Boris sacrificed his career for Cummings
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Not exactly full throated support is it?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Nope. Fence and sitting.
  • Options
    eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Not in my case - it's because he created this lockdown mess and then wilfully ignored it himself.

Heck it seems he ignored it a second time to see his parents due to the death of his uncle - when a lot of people were unable to travel to see their spouse or parents prior or even after their death because HSE stated that it wasn't an essential journey.

I’ve been saying this for years.

It’s very gratifying people are now starting to notice I was right.
  • Options

I am sure it will but the more important issue is why has Boris sacrificed his career for Cummings
    I have new found respect for you after today Sir and I will be following your posts keenly.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Have you gone LAB now Big G?
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales Hope you can forgive any of my past misgivings and attacks on you as I realise now I was wrong. I hold my hands up and apologise.
  • Options
    Lol at the Sun and Torygraph holding back, whilst the Mail sharpens the guillotine.

They know their readership.
  • Options
    Frankly I couldn't give a toss about Brexit anymore, we left, I am over it. Think it's a bad decision but I don't care anymore.

About 5% of Remainers are still on this and begging to rejoin. I am telling you, most people don't give a toss about Brexit anymore.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Interestingly non-committal by the Sun and, I'd suggest, foolish.

Where are the sales in sitting on the fence? They needed to come out swinging one way or another.
  • Options

I think LAB will be on 100% soon
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Will people now also finally believe me when I point out that Cummings is actually pretty dim?

Anyone who thought that would wash is denser than Richard Burgon.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985
    Scott_xP said:
    Another #FBPE lefty publication to the list of naysayers.
  • Options
    You don't need a focus group to be convened to tell you that if the Daily Mail and Piers Morgan are angry beyond words about an aide's behaviour then he is done.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

People with these kinds of attitudes always come unstuck eventually.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Scott_xP said:
    Do you not understand that if the people and media that are usually cheerleaders for the politicians and politics that you despise do an about turn, it's quite a big deal and you're going to highlight it?
    Of course I do. They're still silly hypocrites to do it though, given their constant demonization of the paper, and it will be fun to note their sudden loss of interest the moment the Mail swings back behind the Tories again.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380
    Over the years, Boris has been sacked twice for lying:

In 1988, Boris was sacked from his job at The Times newspaper over allegations he fabricated a quote from his godfather, the historian Colin Lucas, for a front-page article about the discovery of Edward II’s Rose Palace.

And in 2003, after becoming leader of the Conservatives, Michael Howard gave Boris two new jobs – party vice-chairman and shadow arts minister. Boris was sacked from both positions in November 2004 after assuring Mr Howard that tabloid reports of his affair with Spectator columnist Petronella Wyatt were false and an “inverted pyramid of piffle”. When the story was found to be true, he refused to resign.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-lies-conservative-leader-candidate-list-times-banana-brexit-bus-a8929076.html
  • Options
    What does your average swing voter think of this I wonder.

They leant their vote to a new type of Tory Party. Looks a lot like the old Tory Party at the moment - will they make that mistake again now that Labour has woken up?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I do hope I don’t.

Oh, sorry, did you mean Cummings?
  • Options
    Well, I was wrong, he's made it to Monday night.

I doubt he will make it beyond the Bank Holiday.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762

Jeremy Corbyn has joined the Tories and is running PR

He always was one of us, CHB :wink:
    He certainly did more than most Tories to keep Labour out of power :wink:
  • Options

In addition to the obvious, Barnard Castle (aka 'Barnie') has an old market thingy in the market place, several antique shops and some decent pubs. A nice place to visit. Nearby is the Bowes Museum.

Just incase anyone happens to be in the area.

I've been to Bishop Auckland :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I do hope I don’t.

I meant Cummings, yes. I like your posts.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

A fucking champ, Benpointer, and worth every penny we paid him since the 60s...
  • Options
    This my children is an PM at bay.

The photos alone in the press are fucking awful.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Over the years, Boris has been sacked twice for lying:

In 1988, Boris was sacked from his job at The Times newspaper over allegations he fabricated a quote from his godfather, the historian Colin Lucas, for a front-page article about the discovery of Edward II’s Rose Palace.

And in 2003, after becoming leader of the Conservatives, Michael Howard gave Boris two new jobs – party vice-chairman and shadow arts minister. Boris was sacked from both positions in November 2004 after assuring Mr Howard that tabloid reports of his affair with Spectator columnist Petronella Wyatt were false and an “inverted pyramid of piffle”. When the story was found to be true, he refused to resign.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-lies-conservative-leader-candidate-list-times-banana-brexit-bus-a8929076.html

There are no disasters, only opportunities. And indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Will people now also finally believe me when I point out that Cummings is actually pretty dim?

Anyone who thought that would wash is denser than Richard Burgon.
    Cummings is like far too many bright people, not bright enough to realise where his brilliance met his arrogance and stupidity.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Apart from the Bozo cultists who will support him no matter what he does for the rest the PM has lost all authority to deliver any further instructions to the UK public as the lockdown is eased .

• Options

Lol at the Sun and Torygraph holding back, whilst the Mail sharpens the guillotine.

Ave_it said:

No not at all.

I just think Boris is wrong and has lost his way. He is not well and I doubt he will last long. It does not mean I am suddenly voting labour. That thought has not crossed my mind
  • Options

A fucking champ, Benpointer, and worth every penny we paid him since the 60s...
    But fortunately gone now :smile:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I do hope I don’t.

My post was not intended entirely seriously :smiley:

But thank you for the second sentence. I fear I am vain enough to purr at the compliment.
  • Options

@Big_G_NorthWales Hope you can forgive any of my past misgivings and attacks on you as I realise now I was wrong. I hold my hands up and apologise.

There is no need to do that but I have been very angry over Boris choosing Cummings over the people
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I do hope I don’t.

But thank you for the second sentence. I fear I am vain enough to purr at the compliment.
    Ah, no worries :)

Please feel free to purr, I know I get excited when occasionally users like my posts too :)

I fear I am not very popular on this site.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Apart from the Bozo cultists who will support him no matter what he does for the rest the PM has lost all authority to deliver any further instructions to the UK public as the lockdown is eased .

That's the least of his worries - a lot of people will now feel the lockdown was irrelevant.

Imagine if you then discover that the lockdown has cost you your job and there are no other jobs available.
  • Options

This my children is an PM at bay.

The photos alone in the press are fucking awful.

Well of,course they are. Neither of them have any dress sense.

Although TBF it’s their lack of common sense that’s the bigger problem.
  • Options
    eadric said:

That indeed is the question

I can see Boris falling over this. WHY?
    Brothers in arms. One for all and all for one.

• Options

There is no need to do that but I have been very angry over Boris choosing Cummings over the people
    I hope you will accept my apology regardless.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The people whose blood is now boiling aren't the hardened old Remoaner foe or whatever. This is visceral from people who obeyed the rules at great personal expense to save lives, and now think they were treated like mugs.
    Except the greatest bile is coming from the most angry Remoaners, like Led By Donkeys. They parked this in Dom C's street

https://twitter.com/WillBlackWriter/status/1264536965262835713?s=20

Check the Tweeter's timeline. Insane Remoanerism. Completely batshit.

Denying this is futile
    Yes, absolutely, Remainers are loving this. But Julia Hartley-Brewer retweeted Led by Donkeys today so the bile crosses the Brexit divide.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,297

Ave_it said:

No not at all.

I just think Boris is wrong and has lost his way. He is not well and I doubt he will last long. It does not mean I am suddenly voting labour. That thought has not crossed my mind
    Hold the thought, or your'e off HYUFD's Christmas card list.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,777

MattW said:

Took the constutional today around Mansfield because I need to comment on a Planning App for a £12m 'gateway' development (a hotel and 3 restaurants!) on the old bus station site before the end of the month, to help the developers escape from their 'absolute minimum for the community' stance.

Seeing the centre of a town of 110k people utterly deserted is seerie. And a single car in a car park for 200, and one bus and 2 cleaners in the new £10m bus station.

Fine - its a bank holiday Sunday in the middle of a pandemic.

Even so...

Has no one told Mansfield it is all over? Lockdown imploded at 5pm this evening in a stream of bluster and spittle and nonsense.
    A restaurant and hotel complex. Brave in current climate.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,777
    Scott_xP said:
    Those Lefty Remoaners at it again...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Took the constutional today around Mansfield because I need to comment on a Planning App for a £12m 'gateway' development (a hotel and 3 restaurants!) on the old bus station site before the end of the month, to help the developers escape from their 'absolute minimum for the community' stance.

Seeing the centre of a town of 110k people utterly deserted is seerie. And a single car in a car park for 200, and one bus and 2 cleaners in the new £10m bus station.

Fine - its a bank holiday Sunday in the middle of a pandemic.

Even so...

Has no one told Mansfield it is all over? Lockdown imploded at 5pm this evening in a stream of bluster and spittle and nonsense.
    A restaurant and hotel complex. Brave in current climate.
    It’s in the wrong place. Should have aimed for Barnard Castle. Apparently lockdown doesn’t apply there.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

No not at all.

Hold the thought, or your'e off HYUFD's Christmas card list.
    I was never on it. We are very different conservative members
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eadric said:

geoffw said:

eadric said:

Doesn't really explain it. Boris is not exactly known for unswerving loyalty to a man or a cause
    Perhaps for the very reason that some of us have asserted even though it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek: Boris cannot do the job without Cummings.
  • Options
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,410
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Except the greatest bile is coming from the most angry Remoaners, like Led By Donkeys. They parked this in Dom C's street

[A tweet]

Denying this is futile
    Twitter does not equal the world.

Tory MPs are hearing from people who are furious and aren't all rabid Remainers.
  • Options

Frankly I couldn't give a toss about Brexit anymore, we left, I am over it. Think it's a bad decision but I don't care anymore.

About 5% of Remainers are still on this and begging to rejoin. I am telling you, most people don't give a toss about Brexit anymore.

Brexit is the biggest symptom of "EU Derangement Syndrome".
  • Options

eadric said:

geoffw said:

eadric said:

Doesn't really explain it. Boris is not exactly known for unswerving loyalty to a man or a cause
    Perhaps for the very reason that some of us have asserted even though it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek: Boris cannot do the job without Cummings.
    But since he’s conspicuously failed to do it with Cummings, what difference would that make?
  • Options
    eadric said:

geoffw said:

eadric said:

Both against the machine. They have a cause. Each sees the other as filling their own lacunae.

• Options
    eadric said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Denying this is futile
    Yes, absolutely, Remainers are loving this. But Julia Hartley-Brewer retweeted Led by Donkeys today so the bile crosses the Brexit divide.

Yes, I entirely accept that. It's when I saw JHB getting het up about CastleGate, on Friday evening, that I thought: OK, this could be a lot bigger than I expected.

I still wholly believe this is driven at its core by Remainers seeking revenge (or more), but it has gone way beyond them. As a Tory PM, if you lose the Daily Mail on an issue like this, you are in deep shit. I am quite mystified by Boris' behaviour.
    You have to wonder precisely what kind of hold does Cummings have over Boris?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,297
    eadric said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Denying this is futile

Yes, I entirely accept that. It's when I saw JHB getting het up about CastleGate, on Friday evening, that I thought: OK, this could be a lot bigger than I expected.

I still wholly believe this is driven at its core by Remainers seeking revenge (or more), but it has gone way beyond them. As a Tory PM, if you lose the Daily Mail on an issue like this, you are in deep shit. I am quite mystified by Boris' behaviour.
    First part of the last paragraph, LOL!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Looks like a Murdoch (-Gove) v the rest divide in the headlines.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    It's not just UK populist, rightwing arseholes that've fucked up Covid-19 who are getting pelters. Which is nice.

https://twitter.com/homelesshorse/status/1264665109202382850?s=20
  • Options
    I wonder if it possible to conceive the idea Johnson becomes more unpopular than May
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127

Rules Of England 101: Play fair

Cummings: Bollocks to that, rules are for little people and their little lives.

Bye!

Rules have always been applied differently depending on who you are.

Why do you think the phrase "there's one law for the rich and another law for us" is so well know.

That doesn't make it right and that doesn't mean you shouldn't be angry about it.

But that's the way it is and that's the way it always will be.

And its irrelevant who is in power.

If we had a government of PBers we'd soon discover that our mistakes and misconduct were treated in a more generous way than those of others.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

eadric said:

geoffw said:

eadric said:

But since he’s conspicuously failed to do it with Cummings, what difference would that make?
    Maybe it does not look that way from Boris's perspective, or perhaps he sees his choices as "bad" or "nightmare"?

Either way, Boris does not look like a Leader. If his rating tank sufficiently, the Tory Party's usual ruthlessness will do for his political career.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Denying this is futile

I would agree with you if you replaced “Remainers” with “the left”. This is a return to some form of politics as normal. Leavers underestimate how Remainers have moved on. We have, indeed, “got over it” as we were constantly advised and are returning to our old political homes. Cummings mistake is that he’s still fighting a battle he won - see he comment to journalists outside his house yesterday - and thinks he knows more than he does. He’s fighting the last war and will therefore lose this one.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I do hope I don’t.

Please feel free to purr, I know I get excited when occasionally users like my posts too :)

You are ok CHB. You are committed to your cause. You can give it out but can take it too! 😊
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I do hope I don’t.

You are ok CHB. You are committed to your cause. You can give it out but can take it too! 😊
    That's kind but I won't be able to offer you a position in my Government.
  • Options
    Compare and contrast these 2 pictures of Boris

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1264664747049451521

The last 5 months have been an eternity but Boris really doesn't look good.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551
  • Options

I wonder if it possible to conceive the idea Johnson becomes more unpopular than May

May always had sympathy, until today Boris had sympathy, he lost that today so it's very easy to conceive.

As I said earlier, Boris was a clown you laughed with, today he became a clown you laughed at.
  • Options
    The Tories seem to still be fighting the last election.

We lost, Brexit has been delivered.

But they're still talking about this issue, when there are now other issues that are more important.

I can't think re-running the referendum again in 2024 will work very well.
  • Options
    glw said:
    and the blue bells?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eek said:

Compare and contrast these 2 pictures of Boris

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1264664747049451521

The last 5 months have been an eternity but Boris really doesn't look good.

The photos look terrible.
  • Options
    eek said:

May always had sympathy, until today Boris had sympathy, he lost that today so it's very easy to conceive.

As I said earlier, Boris was a clown you laughed with, today he became a clown you laughed at.
    Clowns belong in the circus, not in Downing Street!
This discussion has been closed.