Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings Durham trip during the lockdown – the reaction co

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    The amount of employer contribution wasn’t.
  • Options
    Of course at a time like this a competent cabinet minister would come out to bat, unfortunately the cabinet is full of yes men/women, so no chance of that.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Isn't Mrs Cummings Deputy Editor of the Spectator? In which case it is clear that she has no friends...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

I wonder if SKS is starting to wonder how he got this lucky to be up against Boris Johnson...

Keep counting those chickens, and keep underestimating Boris.

It worked out so well in the past, after all.
    I have generally been loyal to Boris but I despair at his hibernation and disapperances.

He is either ill or lost his mojo

He cannot continue like this, so he either steps up to the plate or goes on paternity leave

It is embarrassing
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I understand why he may have done this but the riight thing to do is resign

Big G, we all understand why he did it. He did it because he didn’t want to be ill and in quarantine in a cramped townhouse in London. He wanted somewhere with a garden for the little one to play in, a view and the chance to get out a bit.

And I do understand that. How often have I come on here counting my blessings that I have a lovely big house, with a garden, and a cycle trail to Cannock Chase less than 200 yards away? When I see people on the Chase, we actually comment on how lucky we are and reflect on those poor sods stuck in little flats in Walsall, whom we can actually see, but who until a few days ago couldn’t join us.

The problem is that (a) flatly contradicts everything the government is doing and (b) he’s come up with just about the stupidest and most implausible set of lies imaginable to excuse it.

But as it is Cummings and that is what he has always done, I agree there is a high chance he survives.
    You're a good person, you have my respect and thanks for your understanding of people with less than yourself. 10/10 post.
    Shame on Big G for supporting him, I expected better from him given his previous posting.
    I have said he should resign Malc.
    If he goes BigG the media will want an even bigger scalp next time- and you know who that is. The media tail wagging the government dog has to stop!
    Pete they need to clean their act up and they would not be at risk, they are a bunch of cheating lying bad uns.
    @malcolmg - I used to think you were some sort of half-crazed Scottish reactionary. These days I realise the error of my ways because you are absolutely correct. OK, your metaphors and similes are certainly colourful, but I find myself in more and more agreement with you.

Perhaps I have become a half crazed Irish reactionary..... :D:D
    Bev, more to me than my colourful part for sure, you need to be brisk to survive the nest of vipers on here.
    Not sure we agree on much either but found myself agreeing with you lately.
    Apart from my penchant for independence I am pretty centre type guy and can see absolute arseholes wherever they are. Too many on here with Tory only blinkers.
    I hope you don't consider me one of the arseholes :)

I freely admit I got blinkered the other way in the run up to the last election and that makes me look very foolish now. But I would like to think admitting that and holding my hands up is a good first step.

Like I said at the time, I voted for SKS to kick the Corbynites out. He was by far the best option on offer.
    I don't think you got blinkered; I think you're so tribally Labour that you'd support a bowl of porridge if it wore a red rosette. You can talk about how awful Corbyn was now, but it's pretty clear that the only thing Corbyn really did to warrant your disavowal was not win enough seats. That's it. You'll support Starmer through thick and thin for the same reason. That's fine as far as it goes, but it limits somewhat the degree of insight (not to mention surprise and delight) we can expect from reading your posts.
    Lucky , have you looked at the >80% Tory cult members on here, Tories could put a large pile of steaming horse shit up on the stage and they would vote for it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It was and upto 40%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Big G, we all understand why he did it. He did it because he didn’t want to be ill and in quarantine in a cramped townhouse in London. He wanted somewhere with a garden for the little one to play in, a view and the chance to get out a bit.

And I do understand that. How often have I come on here counting my blessings that I have a lovely big house, with a garden, and a cycle trail to Cannock Chase less than 200 yards away? When I see people on the Chase, we actually comment on how lucky we are and reflect on those poor sods stuck in little flats in Walsall, whom we can actually see, but who until a few days ago couldn’t join us.

The problem is that (a) flatly contradicts everything the government is doing and (b) he’s come up with just about the stupidest and most implausible set of lies imaginable to excuse it.

But as it is Cummings and that is what he has always done, I agree there is a high chance he survives.
    You're a good person, you have my respect and thanks for your understanding of people with less than yourself. 10/10 post.
    Shame on Big G for supporting him, I expected better from him given his previous posting.
    If he goes BigG the media will want an even bigger scalp next time- and you know who that is. The media tail wagging the government dog has to stop!
    Pete they need to clean their act up and they would not be at risk, they are a bunch of cheating lying bad uns.
    @malcolmg - I used to think you were some sort of half-crazed Scottish reactionary. These days I realise the error of my ways because you are absolutely correct. OK, your metaphors and similes are certainly colourful, but I find myself in more and more agreement with you.

Bev, more to me than my colourful part for sure, you need to be brisk to survive the nest of vipers on here.
    Apart from my penchant for independence I am pretty centre type guy and can see absolute arseholes wherever they are. Too many on here with Tory only blinkers.

I freely admit I got blinkered the other way in the run up to the last election and that makes me look very foolish now. But I would like to think admitting that and holding my hands up is a good first step.

Like I said at the time, I voted for SKS to kick the Corbynites out. He was by far the best option on offer.
    I don't think you got blinkered; I think you're so tribally Labour that you'd support a bowl of porridge if it wore a red rosette. You can talk about how awful Corbyn was now, but it's pretty clear that the only thing Corbyn really did to warrant your disavowal was not win enough seats. That's it. You'll support Starmer through thick and thin for the same reason. That's fine as far as it goes, but it limits somewhat the degree of insight (not to mention surprise and delight) we can expect from reading your posts.
    Well you interpret my posts as you wish, I know I have changed.

I think I am pro-Labour but I'm not anymore pro-Labour than a lot of the Tories here are pro-Tory. Yet they don't get attacked for that, except by me (when they say ridiculous things).

I think the idea I am anymore or less blinkered than anyone else is a bit ridiculous, that is what I am saying. I made the point so fine for you to respond to it as you have - but I will maintain I am not in any way unique.

My contribution isn't less valuable in some respect because I am pro-Labour, anymore than anyone else's. I like to think I provide a bit of contrast to what is a pro-Tory site.
    You think you are the only poster fighting against the hordes of PB Tories?
    Of course not, I doubt even 50% of posters here voted Tory at the last general election and you can count the number of PB posters who have voted Tory even from 1997 to 2001 and are still voting Tory now on one hand
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Lucky , have you looked at the >80% Tory cult members on here, Tories could put a large pile of steaming horse shit up on the stage and they would vote for it.
    I think we can stop now, I didn't mean to start another argument on Tory vs Labour.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    isam said:

Was Cummings doing that then? I thought they were staying with the kids and nieces were dropping food off?
    But the offer of childcare was from Cummings's sister. It sounds as though the sister lived with the parents, though I'm not quite sure about that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I think I am pro-Labour but I'm not anymore pro-Labour than a lot of the Tories here are pro-Tory. Yet they don't get attacked for that, except by me (when they say ridiculous things).

I think the idea I am anymore or less blinkered than anyone else is a bit ridiculous, that is what I am saying. I made the point so fine for you to respond to it as you have - but I will maintain I am not in any way unique.

My contribution isn't less valuable in some respect because I am pro-Labour, anymore than anyone else's. I like to think I provide a bit of contrast to what is a pro-Tory site.
    Luckily there are a few of us Rob, evil will be defeated in the end.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

ydoethur said:

Anyone who is not acquainted with Cannock Chase - it is highly recommended. It must be the Midlands’ best kept secret. It’s both beautiful and usually fairly quiet.

Really? The last time I was there it just said "M6 Services" and I did not think much of the cafe...
    Yeah, well, you have to actually leave the m6 to get the full effect Bev (and yes, those services are awful).

But Cannock Wood, or Milford, or Sherbrook Valley, or Birches Valley, are just gorgeous.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I think we can stop now, I didn't mean to start another argument on Tory vs Labour.
    Fat chance of that on here CHB
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I commented on the 1964 general election last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years too so yes

I imagine you were far too young to have been politically active back then - it won't be pleasant viewing for the average Conservative.

My recollection of the Thursday night and following morning was of course very different and my most successful night's political betting ever.

I will concede for the most part the Conservatives took the result well - many were tired after 18 years of Government and of course for some it was the first time they had ever known what it was like to lose an election. Others were completely stunned by the scale of what happened.
    Actually my first canvassing session for the Tories was in 1997 in Tonbridge and Malling which the Tories managed to hold, I did attend a John Major rally in Wrotham in 1992 though.

I was first able to vote Tory in 2001, in Coventry South when I was a student but Labour held the seat comfortably as well as Warwick and Leamington and Braintree, just, where I was campaigning
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Can someone please explain. If
    Cummings is indispensable as an advisor and strategist.
    Why then hasnt he organised a CV strategy that isnt chaotically bollocks?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Of course not, I doubt even 50% of posters here voted Tory at the last general election and you can count the number of PB posters who have voted Tory even from 1997 to 2001 and are still voting Tory now on one hand
    "I doubt even 50%"

Shall I do a cull and ensure that 43% of posters voted Conservative at the last election?

And how should I handle non-voters? Because there were lots of non-voters last time around in the UK. Should they be adequately represented too?

Also, should I measure posters or posts? Because there might be a big difference between the two numbers.

I'm also assuming that we should eliminate all foreigners from the board, we don't want them polluting this British institution.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Can you possibly have a sensible debate about how the UK should extract itself from lockdown to minimize health risk but extract maximum economic benefit rather than this tedious crap.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-52772306

She should have just broken the rules, what an idiot
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

"I doubt even 50%"

Shall I do a cull and ensure that 43% of posters voted Conservative at the last election?

And how should I handle non-voters? Because there were lots of non-voters last time around in the UK. Should they be adequately represented too?

Also, should I measure posters or posts? Because there might be a big difference between the two numbers.

I'm also assuming that we should eliminate all foreigners from the board, we don't want them polluting this British institution.
    How about Yanks? Are they allowed?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I commented on the 1964 general election last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years too so yes

I imagine you were far too young to have been politically active back then - it won't be pleasant viewing for the average Conservative.

My recollection of the Thursday night and following morning was of course very different and my most successful night's political betting ever.

I will concede for the most part the Conservatives took the result well - many were tired after 18 years of Government and of course for some it was the first time they had ever known what it was like to lose an election. Others were completely stunned by the scale of what happened.
    Actually my first canvassing session for the Tories was in 1997 in Tonbridge and Malling which the Tories managed to hold, I did attend a John Major rally in Wrotham in 1992 though.

I was first able to vote Tory in 2001 though, in Coventry South when I was a student but Labour held the seat comfortably as well as Warwick and Leamington and Braintree, just, where I was campaigning
    In 2001 Braintree was held by Labour's Alan Hurst. Nice man.

I don't usually listen to these, but I'm looking forward to the 1997 'repeat'. Especially the bit where Labour wins Castle Point.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited May 2020

Nigelb said:

It was and upto 40%
    And the story says it is to be 20%. If true, that is news.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Fantastic. A lot of people who are so certain they've got him now would do well to look back on their myriad failures against him with a good measure of humility.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Wonder how those Lab-Tory switchers in the Northern Red Wall are feeling tonight?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Whilst I agree with JHB that Cummings should go, I don't think she should be angry about it for that reason.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I was first able to vote Tory in 2001 though, in Coventry South when I was a student but Labour held the seat comfortably as well as Warwick and Leamington and Braintree, just, where I was campaigning

I don't usually listen to these, but I'm looking forward to the 1997 'repeat'. Especially the bit where Labour wins Castle Point.
    Bob Spink did win it back in 2001 however, one of Hague's few gains
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    I have to say, if it were possible for Julia Hartley-Brewer to see her Mother, ie she wasn't in a hospital or care home that were banning visitors, I don't understand why she would obey the lockdown rather than see her. Why should what Dominic Cummings is doing make any difference?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726
    It`s an attempt to alter the incentive/disincentive balance to nudge firms back into operating. Only a 20% contribution though - presumably this will be ratcheted up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Wait - so at the time of the Great Drive to Durham, Cummings wasn’t ill but his wife was?

Are they effectively saying that any family with small children who had one parent get sick during the lockdown period were terrible parents if they didn’t break quarantine (in case the other parent might get sick too)?

So anyone who did struggle through suspected symptoms with a small child in the house, or who had a spouse who did likewise, is basically either a bad parent or stupid.

You’d think something this significant - because there are well over a couple of million households in the country with small kids - should have been explicitly instructed:

“If you have any small children in your household and you or a member of your family begin to show any symptoms, do NOT self-isolate, but travel immediately to a family member to hand over your children”

Incidentally, has anyone confirmed that the child in question was indeed handed over to a family member before the self-quarantining began? Otherwise it would be odd to drive all that way for the explicit purpose of ensuring the child had a healthy carer and then keep them in a virus-infested house. Which would ensure that if the two parents were in fact incapacitated simultaneously (as the fear was) that whoever took the child in that circumstance was also exposed to the virus - which was where we came in!

According to the Spectator piece by Cummings wife the sprog was there the whole time.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, even Callaghan got 269 seats in election 1979 BBC Parliament is now reshowing.

Though of course Labour got about 40 more Scottish seats back then which are now SNP

Will you be commenting on the re-run of 1997 election night due next Saturday?

Perhaps you can tell us when Labour gain Hornchurch.
    Don't forget Enfield Southgate and Bristol West!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:
    Unfortunately, like many people who think they are exceptionally intelligent, he probably really thinks his judgement is more important than the law. As far as I can see, he genuinely cannot understand how anyone who disagrees with him could ever be right,

This analysis looked shrewd at the time, it looks prescient now.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/22/uk/boris-johnson-dominic-cummings-analysis-intl-gbr/index.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Bob Spink did win it back in 2001 however, one of Hague's few gains
    Indeed; he'd humbly apologised to the Canvey Conservative Womens organisation by then. Weird man!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It was and upto 40%
    And the story says it is to be 20%. If true, that is news.
    Yes it was upto 40% but maybe the 20% comes from reducing the 80% to 60%
  • Options

Wonder how those Lab-Tory switchers in the Northern Red Wall are feeling tonight?

Why would they care? They voted Tory so we would leave the EU rather than have a second referendum, and we have. If they had voted Labour, we would have not left the EU, might not at all, Jeremy Corbuyn would be PM, and and we would be in the middle of a pandemic that's killing elderly and vulnerable people.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Irritated that the same myopic media who did everything imaginable to thwart Brexit are hounding the man who delivered it to them?

Not to mention that the press are hardly respecting social distancing themselves when they crowd around him and shove a microphone in his face, the turgid hypocrites that they are.
  • Options

I doubt most of them really care less about Cummings, they might think he is a bit of an idiot but they are not going to vote for Starmer over it.

If they switch back or to the Brexit Party it will be more likely to be if Boris extends the transition period which Leavers are still strongly opposed to
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

"I doubt even 50%"

I was under the misapprehension you were Welsh Ydoethur
  • Options
  • Options

their ears will be flapping and much braying will be heard
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006

Fantastic. A lot of people who are so certain they've got him now would do well to look back on their myriad failures against him with a good measure of humility.
    I think that is a knob thing to say.

Because this is nothing to do with Brexit. There are lots of things Cummings could have said that would have been true and pointed, but Brexit? He's like the worst Remoaner fighting the last war.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Whilst I agree with JHB that Cummings should go, I don't think she should be angry about it for that reason.
    I agree. Why didn`t she see her mother? The rules always allowed travel to help a vulnerable person, no copper would have ticketed her for that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I doubt most of them really care less about Cummings, they might think he is a bit of an idiot but they are not going to vote for Starmer over it.

If they switch back or to the Brexit Party it will be more likely to be if Boris extends the transition period which Leavers are still strongly opposed to
    Labour to Tory switchers won't switch back if they think the Tories are a massive bunch of shysters who locked them indoors, stopped them visiting their ill Mum etc, but didn't follow the rules themselves?

You're on another planet.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    isam said:

I have to say, if it were possible for Julia Hartley-Brewer to see her Mother, ie she wasn't in a hospital or care home that were banning visitors, I don't understand why she would obey the lockdown rather than see her. Why should what Dominic Cummings is doing make any difference?
    The lockdown is just theatre to trick the Red Wall plebs?
  • Options

Irritated that the same myopic media who did everything imaginable to thwart Brexit are hounding the man who delivered it to them?

Not to mention that the press are hardly respecting social distancing themselves when they crowd around him and shove a microphone in his face, the turgid hypocrites that they are.
    they should stick it right up his jacksie
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020
    Curious looking at Russia's covid numbers: deaths nailed on to 1.00% of total cases. Almost as if it had been so decreed from above ....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

"I doubt even 50%"

I am.

But there are several posters stateside. Indeed, there’s one very prominent poster with - ahem - controversial views on popular music who lives in LA.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

From the end of a two metre stick?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Because this is nothing to do with Brexit. There are lots of things Cummings could have said that would have been true and pointed, but Brexit? He's like the worst Remoaner fighting the last war.

I have immense respect for your judgement, but come on, nothing to do with Brexit? The continuity Remainers (and I voted Remain myself, ffs, so that's hardly a slight on all Remainers) desperately want his scalp. The violation of the rules is just a happy pretext. He's their nemesis, their bogeyman, and they want to take him down. No other government adviser would attract this kind of wall-to-wall vitriol.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Chris said:

isam said:

Was Cummings doing that then? I thought they were staying with the kids and nieces were dropping food off?
    But the offer of childcare was from Cummings's sister. It sounds as though the sister lived with the parents, though I'm not quite sure about that.
    Looks like the parents have a big farm with outbuildings, so maybe the sister lives in one of them. Cummings and his wife were staying in one apparently. The parents must be in their 70s so hardly going to welcome in covid infected children and grand children in I suppose.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Stocky said:

tlg86 said:

I agree. Why didn`t she see her mother? The rules always allowed travel to help a vulnerable person, no copper would have ticketed her for that.
    I guess JHB lives a fair distance from her mother, so I do have sympathy for her and others in that situation. What I was getting at is that I suspect Cummings and family did what they did to escape to the country, rather than wanting to be close to his parents.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You also wonder a bit if it’s wise to equate our departure from the EU with the most damaging natural disaster in over a century.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

"I doubt even 50%"

I am.

But there are several posters stateside. Indeed, there’s one very prominent poster with - ahem - controversial views on popular music who lives in LA.
    I was jesting
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

"I doubt even 50%"

I am.

I was jesting
    Really? That’s a turnip for the books...
  • Options
    isam said:

Chris said:

isam said:

Looks like the parents have a big farm with outbuildings, so maybe the sister lives in one of them. Cummings and his wife were staying in one apparently. The parents must be in their 70s so hardly going to welcome in covid infected children and grand children in I suppose.
    country estate by the sound of it as they have minimum of 3 separate houses so far.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Matt tommorow.

It does seem particularly incongruous to lock up visiting tourists and returning Britons for 14 days, while permitting actively viral travel to Durham.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited May 2020
    Tory MP on C4 just now in a paean to sympathy and understanding of human frailty saying Calderwood & Ferguson shouldn't have been fired. Let's hope he was as vocal in their defence at the time and that he'll be having a stiff word with his Tory colleagues who were baying for blood.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    isam said:

Because, of course, we were entreated by the authorities every day for weeks and weeks specifically NOT to visit people outside our own households - and especially not the old and the medically vulnerable - because Covid and emotional blackmail related thereto. Basically, you break the rules, you kill your Granny, and probably a load of other peoples' Grannies as well.

That portion of the populace that still pays attention to the news, and has been studiously avoiding visiting family and friends as a result, will take this simply as more evidence of one rule for the elite, another for the proles.

It's also another green light to do what the fuck you want - now, I suspect that quite a lot of people have given up on the lockdown already, but others will take this as permission to follow suit. The Government had better hope that this doesn't precipitate the dreaded second wave, because between the Cummings and Ferguson episodes its moral authority is badly eroded, and that's all it has to persuade private citizens in this situation.

Ordering business premises to shut down is relatively straightforward, but the State hasn't the power to compel people to stop going round each others' houses if they decide en masse that they're going to ignore the obligations that are being imposed on them. We are not a police state. The security forces lack both the Draconian powers and the numbers to suppress widespread disobedience.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:
    "If the individuals do not have access to care support, formal care support or to family, they will be able to work through their local authority hubs."

There's a lot riding on that word "access". Did he have "access" to family. If the nearest family was that far away I would argue "no" and he should have, as the next resort, to the local authority.
    I am not defending him but if anyone thinks any parent would hand their child to the local authority when family were available, no matter the distance, please declare so
    I'm 100% sure they wouldn't but it is unlikely the law would take the view that the local authority is unsafe. It's not ideal but the purpose of the regs is to prevent virus spread. They will be interpreted in that light.
    No one who loves their children will hand their children to a LA when family is available no matter the circumstances
    Agreed but do you actually believe that given the privileged position of both parents it was beyond them to sort out something to ensure there child was OK if both of them were simultaneously too sick to look after them. I understand her brother lives in London and I understand an aunt offered to help out. Don't they have any friends?

In his position every single avenue should have been explored before breaking quarantine and travelling 250 miles whilst infected. It just smacks of arrogance and one law for me one for the plebs.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307
    eristdoof said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, even Callaghan got 269 seats in election 1979 BBC Parliament is now reshowing.

Though of course Labour got about 40 more Scottish seats back then which are now SNP

Will you be commenting on the re-run of 1997 election night due next Saturday?

Perhaps you can tell us when Labour gain Hornchurch.
    Don't forget Enfield Southgate and Bristol West!
    Weren't Wimbledon and St Albans the ones that really blew Alistair Campbell away?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

From the end of a two metre stick?
    I would relax the 2m rule and use at least a metre of the stick
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Chris said:

isam said:

country estate by the sound of it as they have minimum of 3 separate houses so far.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11692775/dominic-cummings-parents/
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    HYUFD said:

This line of thinking is very dangerous thinking in terms of how damaging it is for our politics. If there is no political damage from politicians and their advisers breaking the rules then political corruption will rot our whole system of government from within.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    Piers Morgan is a jumped up arse full.of his iwn importance.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545
    isam said:

Why would they care? They voted Tory so we would leave the EU rather than have a second referendum, and we have. If they had voted Labour, we would have not left the EU, might not at all, Jeremy Corbuyn would be PM, and and we would be in the middle of a pandemic that's killing elderly and vulnerable people.
    Yes, I think there is the potential for there being votes in this. And if the Northern Red Wall turns red again we might get Laura Pidcock back on our screens, giving us the unlimited benefit of her infinite wisdom while angling to run the country . So the Tories need to think fast if they are going to save us from that fate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

"I doubt even 50%"

I am.

I was jesting
    Really? That’s a turnip for the books...
    assume your coat is on and door is open
  • Options

You're a good judge of that
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Foxy said:

Isn't Mrs Cummings Deputy Editor of the Spectator? In which case it is clear that she has no friends...
    The Spectator is pretty good at publishing dissenting opinions, unlike many other magazines. Alex Massey usually has views that are the opposite of most Spectator writers.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

isam said:

Yes, I think there is the potential for there being votes in this. And if the Northern Red Wall turns red again we might get Laura Pidcock back on our screens, giving us the unlimited benefit of her infinite wisdom while angling to run the country . So the Tories need to think fast if they are going to save us from that fate.
    As Boris said the day after the GE, the votes were on loan and he had to convince them they'd done the right thing. I guess so far he has delivered Brexit, but the Coronavirus probably negates any credit he got for that, and possiby a bit more too

Corbyn and Swinson must be cursing themselves for allowing the GE, now they have to watch as Starmer and Davey get the public support that would have been theirs
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited May 2020
    [deleted]
  • Options

And when Boris is losing that demographic, he's in trouble.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

rcs1000 said:

I have immense respect for your judgement, but come on, nothing to do with Brexit? The continuity Remainers (and I voted Remain myself, ffs, so that's hardly a slight on all Remainers) desperately want his scalp. The violation of the rules is just a happy pretext. He's their nemesis, their bogeyman, and they want to take him down. No other government adviser would attract this kind of wall-to-wall vitriol.
    Any other government adviser and, for that matter, any Cabinet minister would have been gone by now for what he did.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    edited May 2020
    Regional NHS England data -

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2020
    isam said:

Chris said:

isam said:

Doms in-laws have massive estate with castle and only breed of wild cattle in North Northumberland.

https://chillingham-castle.com/
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The stream of stories of the self-denial of others in the face of Covid-19 is what is so damaging for the government. It’s like acid rain dissolving the credibility of the government,
  • Options
    The Sunday Papers will be fascinating
  • Options
    By failing to sack Cummings Boris looks weak.
  • Options

The Sunday Papers will be fascinating

And if Cummings survives those, it will all be over.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Andrew said:

Curious looking at Russia's covid numbers: deaths nailed on to 1.00% of total cases. Almost as if it had been so decreed from above ....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/coronavirus-russia-defends-its-exceptionally-precise-covid-19-death-data

What makes this interesting is that the death figures are in line with the IFR, but that in turn would mean that uniquely Russia has essentially perfect testing, with every case of infection being correctly tested. Even China's figures (which are problematic) are seemingly off by about a factor of 5 if you accept the total of deaths.
  • Options

I think the opposite.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    edited May 2020

isam said:

Chris said:

isam said:

Doms in-laws have massive estate with castle and only breed of wild cattle in North Northumberland.

https://chillingham-castle.com/
    Mistaken post - pls ignore.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    HYUFD said:

I was first able to vote Tory in 2001, in Coventry South when I was a student but Labour held the seat comfortably as well as Warwick and Leamington and Braintree, just, where I was campaigning

I can't imagine canvassing for the Conservatives in Tonbridge & Malling, even in 1997, to have been that arduous. It's a good place to learn though I imagine some quite large properties with long driveways.

Probably like canvassing East Ham for Labour though without the long driveways.
  • Options
    This is the home of Doms in laws
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB_QvT4uXYI
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I think the opposite.
    supporting a real wrong un is not a good look, it shows Boris is on the hook to him. He has some hold over Bozo for sure, the lazy git will be terrified he might be called on to actually do some work. Do we know where he is holidaying this week.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Any other government adviser and, for that matter, any Cabinet minister would have been gone by now for what he did.
    Exactly.

If it weren't for continuity Leavers, he wouldn't have survived this long.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited May 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

The Spectator is pretty good at publishing dissenting opinions, unlike many other magazines. Alex Massey usually has views that are the opposite of most Spectator writers.
    Massie is a centrist, Tory Unionist. If he's the furthest limit of their ability to accept dissent, the Speccie is operating within a pretty narrow bandwidth.

Still, with the non thinking posho's antisemite Taki as one of their stalwarts, I guess Massie might count as a raving Marxist.

• Options
    Fortunately Britain isn't governed by polls, but by general elections...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    Stocky said:

I think the opposite.
    To whom? To the cabinet he looks and is strong for sticking with Cummings.
    To a big section of the public? He looks weak and a puppet PM being led by his advisor
    To most of the public? They wont think about it like that either way
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I can't imagine canvassing for the Conservatives in Tonbridge & Malling, even in 1997, to have been that arduous. It's a good place to learn though I imagine some quite large properties with long driveways.

Probably like canvassing East Ham for Labour though without the long driveways.
    Saying the “Tories managed to hold” Tonbridge and Malling is rather overstating the level of risk they were at.
  • Options
    It has been said that the government were surprised at the public's obedience to the lockdown, Boris definitely seemed reluctant to enforce it.

Maybe it was only meant to be 'advisory'...

• Options
    Well, that’s that on lockdown. For starters, I can go down and see my sister and her family later this week. I’ll just sit in the garden and we can chat. That won’t break any rules, in my judgement.
  • Options
    isam said:

It has been said that the government were surprised at the public's obedience to the lockdown, Boris definitely seemed reluctant to enforce it.

Maybe it was only meant to be 'advisory'...

Advisory if you're Dominic Cummings, certainly.
This discussion has been closed.