Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings Durham trip during the lockdown – the reaction co

Comments

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Given up defending Cummings then? CCHQ a bit slow on the next line to take?
    Jesus, the mouthpiece of Momentum has the gall to invoke CCHQ :lol:
    No denial, so what is CCHQ saying now? Just give up?
    It says a lot about you that you think people who disagree with you are taking lines from party HQ. For the record I'm not, and I'm not even a party member, although in all other ways I am obviously a massive Tory :smile:

And no, I have no intention of giving up: Cummings should stay, the whiners should be told to shove it.
    No people that disagree with me are calling for him to go. Only people taking the CCHQ line almost verbatim I am calling out.

You're pathetic - and I think deep down you know this is indefensible.
    If it were indefensible, then Cummings by definition could not survive. I think he will, ergo the position is eminently defensible. The impotence of the Opposition to force any other outcome for the next several years is a direct result of the rabbit hole people like you fell down for the last 5 years, and if that's not pathetic, then I don't know what is.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2020

It says a lot about you that you think people who disagree with you are taking lines from party HQ. For the record I'm not, and I'm not even a party member, although in all other ways I am obviously a massive Tory :smile:

And no, I have no intention of giving up: Cummings should stay, the whiners should be told to shove it.
    No people that disagree with me are calling for him to go. Only people taking the CCHQ line almost verbatim I am calling out.

If it were indefensible, then Cummings by definition could not survive. I think he will, ergo the position is eminently defensible. The impotence of the Opposition to force any other outcome for the next several years is a direct result of the rabbit hole people like you fell down for the last 5 years, and if that's not pathetic, then I don't know what is.
    At least I know I got things wrong, you're still in a cult. Poor you.

I've polluted this thread enough with my responses (which frankly are wasted on you) so for the sanity of everyone I will leave things here.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I understand why he may have done this but the riight thing to do is resign

Big G, we all understand why he did it. He did it because he didn’t want to be ill and in quarantine in a cramped townhouse in London. He wanted somewhere with a garden for the little one to play in, a view and the chance to get out a bit.

And I do understand that. How often have I come on here counting my blessings that I have a lovely big house, with a garden, and a cycle trail to Cannock Chase less than 200 yards away? When I see people on the Chase, we actually comment on how lucky we are and reflect on those poor sods stuck in little flats in Walsall, whom we can actually see, but who until a few days ago couldn’t join us.

The problem is that (a) flatly contradicts everything the government is doing and (b) he’s come up with just about the stupidest and most implausible set of lies imaginable to excuse it.

But as it is Cummings and that is what he has always done, I agree there is a high chance he survives.
    You're a good person, you have my respect and thanks for your understanding of people with less than yourself. 10/10 post.
    Shame on Big G for supporting him, I expected better from him given his previous posting.
    I have said he should resign Malc.
    If he goes BigG the media will want an even bigger scalp next time- and you know who that is. The media tail wagging the government dog has to stop!
    Pete they need to clean their act up and they would not be at risk, they are a bunch of cheating lying bad uns.
    @malcolmg - I used to think you were some sort of half-crazed Scottish reactionary. These days I realise the error of my ways because you are absolutely correct. OK, your metaphors and similes are certainly colourful, but I find myself in more and more agreement with you.

Perhaps I have become a half crazed Irish reactionary..... :D:D
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Scott_xP said:
    This is becoming a masterclass in how not to handle an aide getting into serious shit.

Can't wait for 10pm and tomorrow's news headlines.

"Johnson rewrites lockdown to save Durham Dominic"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    edited May 2020
    Nothing has changed in 100 years I see..................... no wonder they stopped counting
    https://twitter.com/RobynLStewart/status/1264218756408119296/photo/1
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1264222681999855616

Having this presser wasn't a very good idea.
  • Options

At least I know I got things wrong, you're still in a cult. Poor you.

I've polluted this thread enough with my responses (which frankly are wasted on you) so for the sanity of everyone I will leave things here.
    At least you've managed to prove one thing - there is a God.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited May 2020
    I hope Cummings appreciates the loyalty Boris has shown him. He certainly doesn't encourage ministers to have the same loyalty to their advisers, and many people have been jettisoned for causing less news about themselves than Cummings has, wrongdoing or not.
  • Options

Defensible means justifiable by argument (certainly in this context).

So your premise is wrong. It is not the case that Cummings surviving would prove it isn't indefensible. It's perfectly possible not to be able to justify your position by argument, but to get your way anyway.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706
    SKS and his team have significantly raised the Opposition's game....
  • Options

Putting Grant Shapps in charge of an indefensible issue was not a very good idea either.

Where is Boris hiding?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Big G, we all understand why he did it. He did it because he didn’t want to be ill and in quarantine in a cramped townhouse in London. He wanted somewhere with a garden for the little one to play in, a view and the chance to get out a bit.

And I do understand that. How often have I come on here counting my blessings that I have a lovely big house, with a garden, and a cycle trail to Cannock Chase less than 200 yards away? When I see people on the Chase, we actually comment on how lucky we are and reflect on those poor sods stuck in little flats in Walsall, whom we can actually see, but who until a few days ago couldn’t join us.

The problem is that (a) flatly contradicts everything the government is doing and (b) he’s come up with just about the stupidest and most implausible set of lies imaginable to excuse it.

But as it is Cummings and that is what he has always done, I agree there is a high chance he survives.
    You're a good person, you have my respect and thanks for your understanding of people with less than yourself. 10/10 post.
    Shame on Big G for supporting him, I expected better from him given his previous posting.
    If he goes BigG the media will want an even bigger scalp next time- and you know who that is. The media tail wagging the government dog has to stop!
    Pete they need to clean their act up and they would not be at risk, they are a bunch of cheating lying bad uns.
    @malcolmg - I used to think you were some sort of half-crazed Scottish reactionary. These days I realise the error of my ways because you are absolutely correct. OK, your metaphors and similes are certainly colourful, but I find myself in more and more agreement with you.

Bev, more to me than my colourful part for sure, you need to be brisk to survive the nest of vipers on here.
    Good to see a kindred spirit.@beibheirli_C
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

Quality post. The only bit I disagree with is that I hope you are wrong and he does go. And as you know I say that as someone who is a big fan of him.
    Why, thank you. Genuinely touched by that, even more so than the nice things others have said, because after all you and I agree on so little.

I am lucky, and so are those who can get to the Chase or other rural beauty spots easily. I never cease to be conscious of it. One thing we might all reflect on is that this is an ex-council house. It’s very sad that social housing lost its way so badly after the 1960s that very few people in council housing now will be able to enjoy gardens at this time.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Bev, more to me than my colourful part for sure, you need to be brisk to survive the nest of vipers on here.
    Not sure we agree on much either but found myself agreeing with you lately.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    edited May 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Yes they are, I detest both Cummings and Johnson, but the media nonsense has to stop. You yourself have critiqued the Unionist media in Scotland for bringing down your own hero. I personally consider Eck to be similar to Johnson and Cummings in the National Scumbaggery League, but the media witch-hunt was still obvious to me.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    So when Boris Johnson said he trusted the Great British publics common sense we weren't supposed to be using common sense?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

Yes, even Callaghan got 269 seats in election 1979 BBC Parliament is now reshowing.

Though of course Labour got about 40 more Scottish seats back then which are now SNP

Will you be commenting on the re-run of 1997 election night due next Saturday?

Perhaps you can tell us when Labour gain Hornchurch.
  • Options

So your premise is wrong. It is not the case that Cummings surviving would prove it isn't indefensible. It's perfectly possible not to be able to justify your position by argument, but to get your way anyway.
    And that's precisely what I meant. As Cersei Lannister once opined, 'Sometimes power is power'.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    I really don't care whether Cummings stays or goes. But I really do object to the spin that this was some sort of errand of mercy for the sake of a vulnerable child who may otherwise have had to be taken into care by the local authority or whatever. What a pile of crap; it's an insult to children who really are in vulnerable situations. If there really was nobody in London to help (highly doubtful), and if Mr Cummings and partner were really too ill to cope, then presumably for the sake of the child the Durham sister could have come and collected him/her. Presumably the Cummings household can't get food delivered by Waitrose or Lidl or whatever.
    The breach of the government guidance was so blatant as to be not worth discussing.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Quality post. The only bit I disagree with is that I hope you are wrong and he does go. And as you know I say that as someone who is a big fan of him.
    Why, thank you. Genuinely touched by that, even more so than the nice things others have said, because after all you and I agree on so little.

I am lucky, and so are those who can get to the Chase or other rural beauty spots easily. I never cease to be conscious of it. One thing we might all reflect on is that this is an ex-council house. It’s very sad that social housing lost its way so badly after the 1960s that very few people in council housing now will be able to enjoy gardens at this time.
    When I read your first post, I was bemused why you were sad others couldn't watch "The Chase" (and why that would be sad for anyone) but then I realised you didn't mean the ITV programme :smiley:
  • Options

Still making stuff up? There's no evidence the car crashed on the way :wink:
    It’s crashing with style and panache now though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Dan Hodges LOL

What nonsense is he spouting Owls ?
  • Options

Thank goodness basic competence is not seen as suspicious activity there anymore.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Good to see a kindred spirit.@beibheirli_C
    Or have very thick hide.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

This MP has declared the story over.

https://twitter.com/oliverdowden/status/1264221876374646786?s=21
    No, he didn't, as thousands of tweets of the actual guidelines has shown today.

Totally out of touch with real people. Hopelessly lost. Entire virus strategy in tatters.
    I agree,

Have had 2 of the Grandkids round today for first time.

If the Chief Government Advisor can break the rules

Fuck it
  • Options
    Luckily, no one kept a copy so we will not know what they changed when the issue the new retrospective version.

• Options

Beginning to look as if they are up against duds and it should be an easy task next time unless some major changes by government who are making Corbyn look as if he was PM material after all.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

When I read your first post, I was bemused why you were sad others couldn't watch "The Chase" (and why that would be sad for anyone) but then I realised you didn't mean the ITV programme :smiley:
    :smiley:

Anyone who is not acquainted with Cannock Chase - it is highly recommended. It must be the Midlands’ best kept secret. It’s both beautiful and usually fairly quiet.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

Putting Grant Shapps in charge of an indefensible issue was not a very good idea either.

Where is Boris hiding?
    Hopefully not in County Durham, or there will be trouble!
  • Options

This MP has declared the story over.

https://twitter.com/oliverdowden/status/1264221876374646786?s=21
    No, he didn't, as thousands of tweets of the actual guidelines has shown today.

Totally out of touch with real people. Hopelessly lost. Entire virus strategy in tatters.
    I agree,

Have had 2 of the Grandkids round today for first time.

If the Chief Government Advisor can break the rules

Fuck it
    The only valid explanation for this crock of a shitshow is that Cummings wants lockdown to end to save the economy and he's come up with the perfect plan that ends it today.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Pulpstar said:

Dan Hodges LOL

10 mins of it.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    A bigger issue for the public might be where can they go for a shit on a day out, if public toilets near the beach are closed. The whereabouts of Dominic Cummings might not be such a pressing issue.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dan Hodges LOL

CCHQ message about how Dom was correct 100% and it was a life saving act, I thought he was going to suggest a knighthood was well deserved.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Johnson is more dependent on Rasputin than the Romanovs. It didn't end well for them (or Rasputin)

Edit. It's clear from the briefing that Johnson knew Cummings broke quarantine rules.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1264230290916081664

The problem is, we're not in an election campaign. We're in a pandemic.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Malcolm does, inexplicably, grow on one. :smile:
  • Options
    Imagine when R is back above 1 in a week or two's time.

Imagine being the CMO and imploring people to get back to sticking to the guidelines.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Anyone who is not acquainted with Cannock Chase - it is highly recommended. It must be the Midlands’ best kept secret. It’s both beautiful and usually fairly quiet.

Really? The last time I was there it just said "M6 Services" and I did not think much of the cafe...
  • Options

I can save them convening a focus group. The response will be a stream of abuse and swearing and red faces.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Wait - so at the time of the Great Drive to Durham, Cummings wasn’t ill but his wife was?

Are they effectively saying that any family with small children who had one parent get sick during the lockdown period were terrible parents if they didn’t break quarantine (in case the other parent might get sick too)?

So anyone who did struggle through suspected symptoms with a small child in the house, or who had a spouse who did likewise, is basically either a bad parent or stupid.

You’d think something this significant - because there are well over a couple of million households in the country with small kids - should have been explicitly instructed:

“If you have any small children in your household and you or a member of your family begin to show any symptoms, do NOT self-isolate, but travel immediately to a family member to hand over your children”

Incidentally, has anyone confirmed that the child in question was indeed handed over to a family member before the self-quarantining began? Otherwise it would be odd to drive all that way for the explicit purpose of ensuring the child had a healthy carer and then keep them in a virus-infested house. Which would ensure that if the two parents were in fact incapacitated simultaneously (as the fear was) that whoever took the child in that circumstance was also exposed to the virus - which was where we came in!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    eadric said:

I predicted Dom would survive, below, if

1. The presser wasn’t a car crash
    2. There were no more revelations tomorrow

Looks like he hasn’t got past 1. He’s in trouble now
    And to be fair to Shapps, it wasn't because the was bad - it's just because the line he had to take was terrible.

Even if Dom's actions were technically within the rules (and they probably weren't, not really), lots of normal people have needed to deal with childcare questions without recourse to piles of money, personal assistants or a relative's spare house at the other end of the country.

People have worried and struggled and the kindest interpretation of the Cummings's actions is that all that worry was unnecessary and people just needed to bend the rules creatively.

He's got to go.
  • Options
    I wonder if SKS is starting to wonder how he got this lucky to be up against Boris Johnson...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited May 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, even Callaghan got 269 seats in election 1979 BBC Parliament is now reshowing.

Though of course Labour got about 40 more Scottish seats back then which are now SNP

I commented on the 1964 general election rerun last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years and the 1959 election rerun the week before when Macmillan won and the 2010 general election rerun when Cameron got in the week before that, so yes
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Yes they are, I detest both Cummings and Johnson, but the media nonsense has to stop. You yourself have critiqued the Unionist media in Scotland for bringing down your own hero. I personally consider Eck to be similar to Johnson and Cummings in the National Scumbaggery League, but the media witch-hunt was still obvious to me.
    However Cummings is well guilty having admitted it, Alex had to fight tooth and nail to prove his despite media , establishment and both governments against him
  • Options

I can save them convening a focus group. The response will be a stream of abuse and swearing and red faces.

Just carry it out in two weeks' time - few will remember, and fewer will care.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Beginning to look as if they are up against duds and it should be an easy task next time unless some major changes by government who are making Corbyn look as if he was PM material after all.
    They're so far ahead it won't be easy even if they are duds. But the range of options looks to be widening.
  • Options

Quite.
    ‘We’ve got a majority, so screw public opinion’ isn’t exactly a defence.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

I would argue having an effective message is important during a pandemic.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Nigelb said:

I know single people who have had really really difficult times in last eight or nine weeks dealing with being alone in isolation and lockdown.

And then this jumped up twat pulls this stunt as the rules don't apply to him and his wife.

Half the country will be absolutely boiling with anger today.

I think this is the real point.

I don’t much care whether Cummings stays or goes. But what ought to have been a fairly minor if deeply embarrassing story, which could have been dealt with by an immediate apology, has completely undermined the government’s ability to be taken seriously by half the country.
    Bit of a strategic oversight not to have a comms genius in charge of their messaging.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

Wait - so at the time of the Great Drive to Durham, Cummings wasn’t ill but his wife was?

Are they effectively saying that any family with small children who had one parent get sick during the lockdown period were terrible parents if they didn’t break quarantine (in case the other parent might get sick too)?

So anyone who did struggle through suspected symptoms with a small child in the house, or who had a spouse who did likewise, is basically either a bad parent or stupid.

You’d think something this significant - because there are well over a couple of million households in the country with small kids - should have been explicitly instructed:

“If you have any small children in your household and you or a member of your family begin to show any symptoms, do NOT self-isolate, but travel immediately to a family member to hand over your children”

Incidentally, has anyone confirmed that the child in question was indeed handed over to a family member before the self-quarantining began? Otherwise it would be odd to drive all that way for the explicit purpose of ensuring the child had a healthy carer and then keep them in a virus-infested house. Which would ensure that if the two parents were in fact incapacitated simultaneously (as the fear was) that whoever took the child in that circumstance was also exposed to the virus - which was where we came in!

That’s a basic flaw in the story. He was widely reported in the press to be self isolating on 30 March. The events in question are alleged to have taken place on the 31st.
  • Options

I wonder if SKS is starting to wonder how he got this lucky to be up against Boris Johnson...

Keep counting those chickens, and keep underestimating Boris.

It worked out so well in the past, after all.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Apart from my penchant for independence I am pretty centre type guy and can see absolute arseholes wherever they are. Too many on here with Tory only blinkers.
  • Options
    I will be interested to see Government approval and polling over the next few weeks.

It is clear to me the peak in Government approval has passed, I wonder how low it might fall.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Apart from my penchant for independence I am pretty centre type guy and can see absolute arseholes wherever they are. Too many on here with Tory only blinkers.
    I hope you don't consider me one of the arseholes :)

I freely admit I got blinkered the other way in the run up to the last election and that makes me look very foolish now. But I would like to think admitting that and holding my hands up is a good first step.

Like I said at the time, I voted for SKS to kick the Corbynites out. He was by far the best option on offer.
  • Options

Where is Boris hiding?
    He was like a cornered rat but given his task he made a very valiant effort I thought. Was obvious he knew he was talking absolute bollox though.
  • Options

Governments acting like they are in constant campaigning is one reason they are so weak, even when they are in a position of great strength. It's one reason they appear so terrified of any whiff of unpopularity or policy disagreement even though they should expect to become unpopular and have the numbers to accept pretty significant rebellions.

Even if Cummings were the genius svengali he thinks he is I don't get why he is treated with such reverence by Boris and his team. Advisers tend to get bogeyman status from opponents anyway, but that can be useful when they slip up and draw heat.
  • Options
    Has Johnson found another fridge to hide in?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I commented on the 1964 general election rerun last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years and the 1959 rerun the week before when Macmillan won, so yes
    Can you stop spoiling it for the rest of us by giving us the results in advance though?
  • Options
    #dominiccummimgs

Ha, this is trending
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Beautifully written and absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:
    That's exactly it. "Boris" is a lost little lamb without him. So I guess he does have to stay.
    Perhaps Boris could bring back Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill.
    As long as he doesn't start wearing necklaces made of tennis balls and leopard print shoes.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    DougSeal said:

That’s a basic flaw in the story. He was widely reported in the press to be self isolating on 30 March. The events in question are alleged to have taken place on the 31st.
    If his wife had it, he should have been self-isolating eve without symptoms. Or may have started getting very mild ones - if your wife goes down with Covid and you get a sore throat, you probably know what it is. So, yes, he may well have been well enough to drive on the 31st.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I will be interested to see Government approval and polling over the next few weeks.

It is clear to me the peak in Government approval has passed, I wonder how low it might fall.

I think that is right, there is a sense of sleazy incompetence growing by the day, and the forensicator shows every sign of being able to exploit it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

No, they kept the child in the house with them and got him to help to take care of Cummings when he fell ill, according to his wife:
    " this might be my only really useful advice for other double-Covid parents or single mothers with pre-schoolers: get out the doctor’s kit and make it your child’s job to take your temperature"
  • Options

#dominiccummimgs

Ha, this is trending

And we all know Twitter trends are reality ... at least for some people.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Chris said:

No, they kept the child in the house with them and got him to help to take care of Cummings when he fell ill, according to his wife:
    " this might be my only really useful advice for other double-Covid parents or single mothers with pre-schoolers: get out the doctor’s kit and make it your child’s job to take your temperature"
    I thought they fitted wheels to the house and drove it to Co. Durham so that they never left the house whilst travelling north?

Or has the govt not used that excuse yet?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Doesn't that mean it is surprising?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Why thank you Nigel , I also enjoy your posts and you sound like a gentleman and a scholar , I am sure we would enjoy a pint together.
    I could not say that to Bev being a married man.

• Options

ydoethur said:

Really? The last time I was there it just said "M6 Services" and I did not think much of the cafe...
    It is an area of outstanding natural beauty (and designated as such), but so small that most drive right past it without noticing.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    DougSeal said:

I think the timeline is meant to be that Mrs Cummings developed symptoms on 27 March (the day it was announced Johnson had tested positive) and Cummings himself the following day.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Gov't has just every parent who has gone down with this in the land, you're chumps.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    HYUFD said:

I commented on the 1964 general election last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years too so yes

I imagine you were far too young to have been politically active back then - it won't be pleasant viewing for the average Conservative.

My recollection of the Thursday night and following morning was of course very different and my most successful night's political betting ever.

I will concede for the most part the Conservatives took the result well - many were tired after 18 years of Government and of course for some it was the first time they had ever known what it was like to lose an election. Others were completely stunned by the scale of what happened.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Just carry it out in two weeks' time - few will remember, and fewer will care.
    People remember " crisis what crisis " even though he did not say that a generation after.
    This crisis and the hypocrisy will be remembered .What ever you say.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Has no one noticed that now is exactly the moment when the government really needs some moral authority to get its difficult message across?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I know single people who have had really really difficult times in last eight or nine weeks dealing with being alone in isolation and lockdown.

And then this jumped up twat pulls this stunt as the rules don't apply to him and his wife.

Half the country will be absolutely boiling with anger today.

I think this is the real point.

I don’t much care whether Cummings stays or goes. But what ought to have been a fairly minor if deeply embarrassing story, which could have been dealt with by an immediate apology, has completely undermined the government’s ability to be taken seriously by half the country.
    Bit of a strategic oversight not to have a comms genius in charge of their messaging.
    Well, there’s always Grant Shapps.
  • Options

isam said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

There's a lot riding on that word "access". Did he have "access" to family. If the nearest family was that far away I would argue "no" and he should have, as the next resort, to the local authority.

the nearest family are in London
    And he is a key worker so would have access to local council childcare.
    Please answer this

Would you hand your children to the local council rather than family, irrespective of how far they are away
    There's this old thing, called honour. It used to be highly thought of.

If we give Cummings the benefit and he genuinely did this for his child's sake, he should do the honourable thing and resign, as he has clearly extremely seriously undermined the national effort and his entire government's virus strategy.
    Yep Agree with that.

Is it still the case that the last Government Minister to resign as a matter of honour (and I know Cummings isn't a minister) was Carrington over the Falklands War? Has anyone else from either party acted in that way since? It would be rather nice to see a return to Ministerial responsibility.
    Robin Cook?
    Surely that was over a matter of policy rather than because he felt he had done something wrong and failed in his job? Not quite was I was talking about.
    Oh right, just a guess, I am not an expert. Just remembered him quitting over Iraq, which I took as a matter of honour.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I freely admit I got blinkered the other way in the run up to the last election and that makes me look very foolish now. But I would like to think admitting that and holding my hands up is a good first step.

Like I said at the time, I voted for SKS to kick the Corbynites out. He was by far the best option on offer.
    Not at all, though at times I get carried away a bit , however I usually only reply in kind and would apologise if I was rude to you unnecessarily. I hope SKS can hold this lots feet to the fire, they have had it easy for far too long, the country will be an empty shell by the time they are finished.
    PS: Many on here have no sense of humour either and take things literally.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I do wonder whethger the beeb would be running a story headlined "Coronavirus: Nurse 'hasn't hugged son, two, in five weeks'" were it not for the Cummings incident. One rule for the rich...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I commented on the 1964 general election rerun last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years and the 1959 election rerun the week before when Macmillan won and the 2010 general election rerun when Cameron got in the week before that, so yes
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I did not watch the 1959 rerun recently , but from memory there are big gaps in it. The recording is far from complete - with no coverage at all of Day 2 for the Friday results.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    You have to shed a tear.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

It is this polling and focus group work that caused Dominics reverse ferret from advocating "herd immunity" to lockdown now. Not that lockdown should apply to himself.

His focus groups didn't fancy dying for Britain.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I don't think you got blinkered; I think you're so tribally Labour that you'd support a bowl of porridge if it wore a red rosette. You can talk about how awful Corbyn was now, but it's pretty clear that the only thing Corbyn really did to warrant your disavowal was not win enough seats. That's it. You'll support Starmer through thick and thin for the same reason. That's fine as far as it goes, but it limits somewhat the degree of insight (not to mention surprise and delight) we can expect from reading your posts.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I commented on the 1964 general election last Saturday when Wilson took Labour back to power after 13 years too so yes

I imagine you were far too young to have been politically active back then - it won't be pleasant viewing for the average Conservative.

My recollection of the Thursday night and following morning was of course very different and my most successful night's political betting ever.

I will concede for the most part the Conservatives took the result well - many were tired after 18 years of Government and of course for some it was the first time they had ever known what it was like to lose an election. Others were completely stunned by the scale of what happened.
    I was 6 months married living in Edinburgh and had no interest in politics.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Why thank you Nigel , I also enjoy your posts and you sound like a gentleman and a scholar , I am sure we would enjoy a pint together.
    I could not say that to Bev being a married man.

:D:D
  • Options
    Was Cummings doing that then? I thought they were staying with the kids and nieces were dropping food off?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I don't think you got blinkered; I think you're so tribally Labour that you'd support a bowl of porridge if it wore a red rosette. You can talk about how awful Corbyn was now, but it's pretty clear that the only thing Corbyn really did to warrant your disavowal was not win enough seats. That's it. You'll support Starmer through thick and thin for the same reason. That's fine as far as it goes, but it limits somewhat the degree of insight (not to mention surprise and delight) we can expect from reading your posts.
    Well you interpret my posts as you wish, I know I have changed.

I think I am pro-Labour but I'm not anymore pro-Labour than a lot of the Tories here are pro-Tory. Yet they don't get attacked for that, except by me (when they say ridiculous things).

I think the idea I am anymore or less blinkered than anyone else is a bit ridiculous, that is what I am saying. I made the point so fine for you to respond to it as you have - but I will maintain I am not in any way unique.

My contribution isn't less valuable in some respect because I am pro-Labour, anymore than anyone else's. I like to think I provide a bit of contrast to what is a pro-Tory site.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    FF43 said:

Edit. It's clear from the briefing that Johnson knew Cummings broke quarantine rules.

Yes, Shapps notably avoided answering that. Awkward.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Chris said:

So - they dashed across the country to make sure they could hand their child to a family member to look after him in case both of them fell ill... and then, well, didn’t?

The entire rationale was that one was already ill, the other was exposed, due to being around them, so they were worried both of them might be ill and therefore the kid needed to be in the hands of a family member.

And then, having got there... they didn’t do that, hung on to the kid, and went through the illness exactly as they would have done if they’d obeyed the guidelines and stayed put in London.

Right. Okay.

Yeah, anyone with a kid would have rushed across the country to NOT ensure they had childcare available. Fantastic defence, that.

• Options

ydoethur said:

:D That is my only knowledge of it as well Bev.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Well you interpret my posts as you wish, I know I have changed.

I think I am pro-Labour but I'm not anymore pro-Labour than a lot of the Tories here are pro-Tory. Yet they don't get attacked for that, except by me (when they say ridiculous things).

I think the idea I am anymore or less blinkered than anyone else is a bit ridiculous, that is what I am saying. I made the point so fine for you to respond to it as you have - but I will maintain I am not in any way unique.

My contribution isn't less valuable in some respect because I am pro-Labour, anymore than anyone else's. I like to think I provide a bit of contrast to what is a pro-Tory site.
    You think you are the only poster fighting against the hordes of PB Tories?
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I was 6 months married living in Edinburgh and had no interest in politics.
    My dad hadn't been born yet :open_mouth:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

Has no one noticed that now is exactly the moment when the government really needs some moral authority to get its difficult message across?

and the cupboard is bare.
This discussion has been closed.