Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings Durham trip during the lockdown – the reaction co

Comments

• Piers Morgan is the one doing a lot of potential damage with his profile
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,101
    DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

There's a lot riding on that word "access". Did he have "access" to family. If the nearest family was that far away I would argue "no" and he should have, as the next resort, to the local authority.

the nearest family are in London
    And he is a key worker so would have access to local council childcare.
    Please answer this

Would you hand your children to the local council rather than family, irrespective of how far they are away
    Or put it another way - would you carry a highly contagious potentially lethal virus to somewhere where the contagion rate was very low in preference to temporarily handing your children to the care of the local council until you recover?
    Cummings desperately needs a Govt scientist to come out now and say he acted with the rules....
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910

Scott_xP said:
    They've been told here to do similar it seems.
    Yes all the usual suspects promoting saving his child's life , despicable. Plenty infiltrators on here.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    eadric said:

I am sad to say that I think Cummings will have to go.

Not sad for the man. He was a fool to break the rules in the way he did and think he was above reprimand for it. It was an arrogance that has always typified him from what I have seen.

But I am sad for two specific reasons.

One because it gives a win to the scum who have always hated him simply because he was effective and on the opposite side from them in arguments- and I include a fair few on here in that description.

And two because he was undoubtedly right in the vast majority of things he did. He was a huge asset to both the Governance of this country and the Leave campaign.

But it appears that success then breeds, or rather reinforces, that arrogance.

No one should be above the law when people's lives are at stake, no one should get away with the crass hypocrisy he has displayed and no one should take the public for fools when trying to protect ones own career. He has done all these things and so should not survive.

Whether he will or not is something I am incapable of predicting.

As I said last night Boris could easily let him go for a while. Then rehire him in a different position in three months time. In the middle of summer. The opposition might bleat but no one would care.
    He could head up his ARPA-style national AI centre. One of his better ideas.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    eadric said:

One unnoticed fool in all this is Mary Wakefield, writing that article about the family’s corona experience. and clean forgetting the fact they were in Durham rather than London.

That does smack of arrogance

She comes across as being a bit like Mrs Gove.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519
    eadric said:

One unnoticed fool in all this is Mary Wakefield, writing that article about the family’s corona experience. and clean forgetting the fact they were in Durham rather than London.

Again, I think that Cummings in government is better for the Opposition than Cummings out. If this can be kept alive until after the recess then Starmer will have a field day. He remains a liability and he is not loved on the back benches.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:
    "If the individuals do not have access to care support, formal care support or to family, they will be able to work through their local authority hubs."

There's a lot riding on that word "access". Did he have "access" to family. If the nearest family was that far away I would argue "no" and he should have, as the next resort, to the local authority.
    I am not defending him but if anyone thinks any parent would hand their child to the local authority when family were available, no matter the distance, please declare so
    I'm 100% sure they wouldn't but it is unlikely the law would take the view that the local authority is unsafe. It's not ideal but the purpose of the regs is to prevent virus spread. They will be interpreted in that light.
    No one who loves their children will hand their children to a LA when family is available no matter the circumstances
    Sure. Equally you wouldn’t drive the length of the country if you had friends nearby.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497
    Alistair said:

Not sad for the man. He was a fool to break the rules in the way he did and think he was above reprimand for it. It was an arrogance that has always typified him from what I have seen.

One because it gives a win to the scum who have always hated him simply because he was effective and on the opposite side from them in arguments- and I include a fair few on here in that description.

And two because he was undoubtedly right in the vast majority of things he did. He was a huge asset to both the Governance of this country and the Leave campaign.

No one should be above the law when people's lives are at stake, no one should get away with the crass hypocrisy he has displayed and no one should take the public for fools when trying to protect ones own career. He has done all these things and so should not survive.

He took on education with the brief to decentralise it.

He ended with a vastly more centralised education system.

He was completely wrong.
    I have been telling people for months that he problem with Cummings is that he’s vain as a peacock, but actually pretty dim. The civil servants at the DfE, who lord knows are hardly candidates for MENSA, ran rings round him.

Perhaps people will now believe me.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Would you hand your children to the local council rather than family, irrespective of how far they are away
    While it is perfectly possible that Mrs Cummings is intractably estranged from her two brothers in London, do you really think that both of them are so loathed that neither has a single friend capable of looking after the child for a few days, located somewhere in the vast metropolis?

Come on BG, you can usually defend the indefensible better than this!
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    I understand why he may have done this but the riight thing to do is resign

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Who are they and their relationship
    What does that matter? Surely no 'parent would hand their child to the local authority when family were available'?
    they have had the instructions from HQ and it is the same squad as ever. They are not too good at the spying game.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nonsense. The Attorney General agreeing with the Police that there's no case to answer here which is why the Police haven't acted.

If someone calls in something and the Police attends that means no more or less than they were responding to a phone call. If the Police had taken it further then that would be a disagreement.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    edited May 2020

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

What does that matter? Surely no 'parent would hand their child to the local authority when family were available'?
    If your parents are available they would be first call
    In normal circumstances, probably yes. But not when the family is infected - we know that this virus has significantly worse outcomes for older people. Why would anyone want to put their parents in grave danger? Utter lunacy!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Even when they're 250 miles and several toilet breaks away? Is there a sliding scale of distance when it comes to distant parents and other family in the same city?
    murali_s said:

Alistair said:

He was completely wrong.
    Cummings and his cabal of nutjobs and weirdos are pretty much wrong on everything. The British public will get to know this fairly quickly hence why I hope he stays on.
    I hope he stays on too....come on Cummings hang in there...I love it that he hides behind his child on this one. The man who used a toddler to save his skin...what a hero....
    eadric said:

It’s impressive that she can’t tell the difference between Durham and London, although it does beg the question why she bothered moving.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,505
    eadric said:

As I said last night Boris could easily let him go for a while. Then rehire him in a different position in three months time. In the middle of summer. The opposition might bleat but no one would care.
    But will the government listen to expert advice, even from PB’s in house hypocrite?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

The government briefing claimed parents weren't involved. However the story has more holes in it than a sieve. Cummings needs simultaneously be laid low by the virus and be completely free of it, and various people, principally his wife, needs to be lying through their teeth
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jonathan said:

Whether Cummings stays or goes the political damage has been done. Resignation is the least of it, it’s the hypocrisy that does the harm.

The hypocrisy will undermine this government.
    This will define it, that in a crisis , it did not follow it's own instructions.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

While it is perfectly possible that Mrs Cummings is intractably estranged from her two brothers in London, do you really think that both of them are so loathed that neither has a single friend capable of looking after the child for a few days, located somewhere in the vast metropolis?

I am not defending Cummings but your children become your only concern and as I do not know the full story I am concerned he is subject to a witch hunt

Notwithstanding, I do believe he should resign
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

I'm not talking about full social care. I'm talking about six and a half hours a day nursery care.
    Jonathan said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:
    "If the individuals do not have access to care support, formal care support or to family, they will be able to work through their local authority hubs."

I am not defending him but if anyone thinks any parent would hand their child to the local authority when family were available, no matter the distance, please declare so
    I'm 100% sure they wouldn't but it is unlikely the law would take the view that the local authority is unsafe. It's not ideal but the purpose of the regs is to prevent virus spread. They will be interpreted in that light.
    No one who loves their children will hand their children to a LA when family is available no matter the circumstances
    Sure. Equally you wouldn’t drive the length of the country if you had friends nearby.
    I would to go to my parents
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038
    Alistair said:

He was completely wrong.
    Nope he was completely right. Just he was not allowed to finish the job. Vested interests saw to that. The need for massive radical reform of the management of the public sector including - or rather primarily - the Civil Service is long overdue. My only hope is that when Cummings goes , which he really should, Boris replaces him with someone even more radical who continues his work.
    "It seems to me that the guidance was pretty clear"

That's not what journalists were saying two month's ago!

DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

All those promoting the child saving bit are obviously doing it on instructions from CCHQ or are on the payroll or both.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Or put it another way - would you carry a highly contagious potentially lethal virus to somewhere where the contagion rate was very low in preference to temporarily handing your children to the care of the local council until you recover?
    A lot of people would probably do anything to avoid sending their children to the local council.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Chris said:

I'm still trying to piece together the case for the defence from the various bits of information flying around the media.

Is this more or less it?

Cummings's wife already had symptoms. Cummings assumed he had also been infected, though he wasn't symptomatic yet. To save his child from harm in case both of them became incapacitated and it was impossible to arrange for it to be cared for in London, all three of them (including the already symptomatic Mrs Cummings) travelled with the child to county Durham, where they had the offer of childcare from family members. After Cummings developed symptoms, all three of them self-isolated in county Durham. Later, they realised that if people learned what had happened they might not agree that the journey to county Durham was justified, and decided to give people the impression that they had all self-isolated in London.

Is that right?

Useful and (I think) pretty much nails it.

Thus -

(i) In a sub-optimal situation he chose the course of action most desirable for him and his family, in the process disregarding the instructions that he and his boss had ordered the public to abide by.

or

(ii) Faced with an absolutely appalling and dreadful dilemma - with the life of his small child at stake - he did what any husband and father worth his salt would do, even though it was against the (non legally binding) rules.

You decide.
    Even if people are going to argue that the child was in such imminent danger of harm as to justify Cummings himself setting aside the guidance about self-isolation and travelling from London to county Durham, I haven't seen any justification for the symptomatic Mrs Cummings accompanying him.

Isn't it obvious that these people just decided the rules didn't apply to them?
    The verdict is in on the rank hypocrisy charge and it is unanimous. Guilty. The usual sentence for this in politics is loss of job. So the question then is - are there mitigating circumstances which justify a lesser sentence? Answer surely is "yes" if his actions probably saved the life of any tiny defenceless toddler let alone his own.

But did they? - I'm skeptical but people must make up their own minds.
    Yes, but the point I was making was that even if people accept the argument that the child was in danger of harm, there was no justification for Mrs Cummings making the trip to Durham too, particularly as she was apparently already ill with COVID-19.
    Point is a good one. But it will only be needed by the prosecution if he somehow convinces the court (of public opinion) that breaking lockdown rules was the only practical way to save his child from great danger. And I doubt he can do that.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

I don't understand the comms strategy here.

If they were going to defend Cummings, why go for the horrifically unattractive "Classic Dom... Super Dad" line? Why not just say, "he made a serious mistake but was trying to do what he saw as the best for his family... Boris was very angry but has decided to forgive him as we all make mistakes"?

The only reason I can think of is that Johnson was well aware of where Cummings was, and approved it. That's a dangerous position and means the story has legs.

Of course, there were rumours that Johnson had paid a family visit the previous weekend. If there were any truth in that ....
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Am I the only one basically disinterested in all things Cummings-related?

He seems to drive twitter and the media-pack unhinged.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,796
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Whether Cummings stays or goes the political damage has been done. Resignation is the least of it, it’s the hypocrisy that does the harm.

The hypocrisy will undermine this government.
    This will define it, that in a crisis , it did not follow it's own instructions.
    The biggest problem, and the reason I personally would have fired Cummings yesterday, is that it's entirely possible we will need another lockdown. How the hell can the government expect the public to abide such a thing if the government itself will not follow the rules? Every further minute where the government defends Cummings is making it increasingly unlikely that a second lockdown will be effective, government authority on this issue is draining away.

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519

Nonsense. The Attorney General agreeing with the Police that there's no case to answer here which is why the Police haven't acted.

If someone calls in something and the Police attends that means no more or less than they were responding to a phone call. If the Police had taken it further then that would be a disagreement.
    So to be clear, if you have symptoms, you're allowed to be a super-spreader and travel nearly the length a of the country in a virus filled box to infect your parents and their community because it's better than sending your kids to one of their uncles, your friends, the local authority, or waiting to see what the severity of your own symptoms will be?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    Lol, Shapps' answer to the did BJ know question is as diaphonous and convincing as his hair.

'Look, the important thing is..'
    Shapps tying himself in knots with lying about how Cummings was right and guidance covers him, the medical woman stuttering through it as well.

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

There's this old thing, called honour. It used to be highly thought of.

If we give Cummings the benefit and he genuinely did this for his child's sake, he should do the honourable thing and resign, as he has clearly extremely seriously undermined the national effort and his entire government's virus strategy.
    Yep Agree with that.

Is it still the case that the last Government Minister to resign as a matter of honour (and I know Cummings isn't a minister) was Carrington over the Falklands War? Has anyone else from either party acted in that way since? It would be rather nice to see a return to Ministerial responsibility.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    This would be a lot easier if Professor Lockdown had not met his girlfriend and then resigned.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andrew said:

He defeated and humiliated them twice, while they languished in impotent fury for years. Now they're out for blood.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Probably works the other way round too, but true all the same

https://twitter.com/hector_drummond/status/1264205850832494593?s=21
    edited May 2020
    The lockdown is turning into the horror show I always feared it would be. It would have been far better to make the whole thing voluntary, and to trust in the common sense of ordinary people.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

If we give Cummings the benefit and he genuinely did this for his child's sake, he should do the honourable thing and resign, as he has clearly extremely seriously undermined the national effort and his entire government's virus strategy.
    Do you really think this government cares about the virus?
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

It's a hoot...Cummings is exploiting his child to get himself out of the shit....

And how much character anyway has someone got who places his own elderly parents at risk in this way? ....

Whichever way you look at it...there are no excuses...

This is such a story...I love it....

If Boris cannot sack Cummings...then...what? Seriously....

And if Cummings doesn't walk away...it just shows that he is someone of such dubious moral credentials.....but I think we knew that already

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Yep Agree with that.

Is it still the case that the last Government Minister to resign as a matter of honour (and I know Cummings isn't a minister) was Carrington over the Falklands War? Has anyone else from either party acted in that way since? It would be rather nice to see a return to Ministerial responsibility.
    Estelle Morris, perhaps? Although I don’t think she particularly wanted Cabinet rank anyway.

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Yep Agree with that.

Robin Cook?
  • ydoethur said:

Big G, we all understand why he did it. He did it because he didn’t want to be ill and in quarantine in a cramped townhouse in London. He wanted somewhere with a garden for the little one to play in, a view and the chance to get out a bit.

And I do understand that. How often have I come on here counting my blessings that I have a lovely big house, with a garden, and a cycle trail to Cannock Chase less than 200 yards away? When I see people on the Chase, we actually comment on how lucky we are and reflect on those poor sods stuck in little flats in Walsall, whom we can actually see, but who until a few days ago couldn’t join us.

The problem is that (a) flatly contradicts everything the government is doing and (b) he’s come up with just about the stupidest and most implausible set of lies imaginable to excuse it.

But as it is Cummings and that is what he has always done, I agree there is a high chance he survives.
    You're a good person, you have my respect and thanks for your understanding of people with less than yourself. 10/10 post.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    tlg86 said:

Guidance if you have symptons has always been very clear. Do not leave your house, do not pass go.
    Scott_xP said:
    The thing is, he’s so important the world revolved round him, and he hopped off when it came to Durham.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:
    Strikes me as a better idea for them to just not say anything about it at all and refer any questions to Cummings
    I'd keep my gob shut if I was a Tory MP right now, you're either defending the indefensible or harming your career chances.
    By the way,.....I heard from Roger...all good...he sent me a sublime photo he captured of a swan.....
    That is good news,
    Tell him we miss him.
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Guidance if you have symptons has always been very clear. Do not leave your house, do not pass go.
    There was an argument about seven or 14 days if I remember correctly. Not that that is applicable in this case.
    Andy_JS said:

The lockdown is turning into the horror show I always feared it would be. It would have been far better to make the whole thing voluntary, and to trust in the common sense of ordinary people.

Yes I couldn't agree more.
    murali_s said:

Alistair said:

He was completely wrong.
    Cummings and his cabal of nutjobs and weirdos are pretty much wrong on everything. The British public will get to know this fairly quickly hence why I hope he stays on.
    And yet they won :) Time and time again. That must really hurt.
    isam said:

Good point, Professor Lockdown quit as an adviser because what he did was wrong.
    edited May 2020
    isam said:

Has any mere mortal been prosecuted or punished in any way for breaking the lockdown as Cummings did?

If there is a similar case who has been prosecuted - there will be hell to pay.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Not having friends in London is probably a more widespread phenomenon than one might believe.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    His heart isn't in this.

Alistair said:

He was completely wrong.
    Nope he was completely right. Just he was not allowed to finish the job. Vested interests saw to that. The need for massive radical reform of the management of the public sector including - or rather primarily - the Civil Service is long overdue. My only hope is that when Cummings goes , which he really should, Boris replaces him with someone even more radical who continues his work.
    So he's right he just couldn't execute because he and Gove were easily fooled and foiled by stupid and incompetent civil servants?

This hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement.

ydoethur said:

Big G, we all understand why he did it. He did it because he didn’t want to be ill and in quarantine in a cramped townhouse in London. He wanted somewhere with a garden for the little one to play in, a view and the chance to get out a bit.

And I do understand that. How often have I come on here counting my blessings that I have a lovely big house, with a garden, and a cycle trail to Cannock Chase less than 200 yards away? When I see people on the Chase, we actually comment on how lucky we are and reflect on those poor sods stuck in little flats in Walsall, whom we can actually see, but who until a few days ago couldn’t join us.

The problem is that (a) flatly contradicts everything the government is doing and (b) he’s come up with just about the stupidest and most implausible set of lies imaginable to excuse it.

But as it is Cummings and that is what he has always done, I agree there is a high chance he survives.
    You're a good person, you have my respect and thanks for your understanding of people with less than yourself. 10/10 post.
    Shame on Big G for supporting him, I expected better from him given his previous posting.
  • It is the ABBA thing I find troubling - and that hasn't been denied.

If he was ill, why was he doing that? So did he lie about being ill?
    Andrew said:

It's mostly the government's defence that is driving the story now.
    isam said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Yep Agree with that.

Robin Cook?
    Surely that was over a matter of policy rather than because he felt he had done something wrong and failed in his job? Not quite was I was talking about.
    Grant Shapps is wondering what he did to deserve the wooden spoon.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Shame on Big G for supporting him, I expected better from him given his previous posting.
    I have said he should resign Malc.
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Scott_xP said:
    Strikes me as a better idea for them to just not say anything about it at all and refer any questions to Cummings
    I'd keep my gob shut if I was a Tory MP right now, you're either defending the indefensible or harming your career chances.
    By the way,.....I heard from Roger...all good...he sent me a sublime photo he captured of a swan.....
    That is good news,
    Tell him we miss him.
    @tyson Tyson give him my regards also , he is missed.
  • I nearly feel sorry for Grant Shapps. Painful viewing.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

All those promoting the child saving bit are obviously doing it on instructions from CCHQ or are on the payroll or both.
    Or are decent humans who have a child.
    Anyway I have a meal to cook so I will leave everyone to have a continuing debate over this

He has mitigating circumstances but he should resign
    Andy_JS said:

Trouble is that from what we have seen a significant proportion of the population think 'common sense' is being allowed to carry on as normal and fuck the elderly and vulnerable. After all they are old and will die soon anyway. A refrain we have seen far too often on PB in the past.
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

A lot of people would probably do anything to avoid sending their children to the local council.
    The ruling class send their kids off to live with complete strangers for months at a time.
    The drone like uniformity of Cabinet minister on Twitter is not a good sign for the dynamism of UK politics, which is ironic given Cummings's stated positions on groupthink and diversity of opinions.
    Hopefully one of them have relatives in or near London and the the unedifying charade will totally explode in their lying chops.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    edited May 2020
    malcolmg said:

Shapps tying himself in knots with lying about how Cummings was right and guidance covers him, the medical woman stuttering through it as well.

It's become a comedy show when it shouldn't. This Government's handling of the pandemic has been nothing short of a shambles. And that is before the sh*t hits the fan economically. Within a short period of time, this Government and this PM will be the most unpopular in recorded history. If was never going to be an easy gig but how they are f*cking it up.
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Yep Agree with that.

Estelle Morris, perhaps? Although I don’t think she particularly wanted Cabinet rank anyway.
    Possibly. But again I am not sure she actually did anything wrong. I am looking for a modern (post Thatcher) example of a minister who failed in their office and resigned as a matter of principle rather than being sacked.
  • Shapps has really made this 10X worse...
    DougSeal said:

So to be clear, if you have symptoms, you're allowed to be a super-spreader and travel nearly the length a of the country in a virus filled box to infect your parents and their community because it's better than sending your kids to one of their uncles, your friends, the local authority, or waiting to see what the severity of your own symptoms will be?
    That seems to be the approved government line.

Time to book that Red Funnel to the Isle of Wight with a clear conscience.

Shapps has really made this 10X worse...

You say that as if you are surprised :)
    eadric said:

isam said:

I am in the unusual position of being able to forgive both. Ferguson should have profusely apologized, he didn’t need to go. Ditto Cummings.

The scotch lady was different because she was actually on the telly giving orders to the Jocks to stay in their smelly little crofts with their neep-tatties
    You forgot the haggis lockdown breaker. Cummings and you are cheeks of the same arse, you fled long before him though, at least his wife was ill.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,796
    I wonder how many more MP, minister, and SPAD scalps the press will now collect?
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,059
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Yep Agree with that.

Possibly. But again I am not sure she actually did anything wrong. I am looking for a modern (post Thatcher) example of a minister who failed in their office and resigned as a matter of principle rather than being sacked.
    Jo Johnson?

(Edit - ah, missed the "failed in office" thing).
    edited May 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

Not having friends in London is probably a more widespread phenomenon than one might believe.
    Not a single one? No one who Cummings Jr playdates with? Despite both parents residing in a swish part of the City for a decade?

What a bleak existence they must lead.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    glw said:

I wonder how many more MP, minister, and SPAD scalps the press will now collect?

Zero?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Even Grant Shapps can't believe he's defending this nonsense.
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:

DougSeal said:

Please answer this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6aKnRnBxM
  • Shapps has really made this 10X worse...

You say that as if you are surprised :)
    Well, I am a bit. Because I thought they would have briefed him a bit better but sounds like he's making it up on the spot.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,352
    edited May 2020
    murali_s said:

malcolmg said:

It's become a comedy show when it shouldn't. This Government's handling of the pandemic has been nothing short of a shambles. And that is before the sh*t hits the fan economically. Within a short period of time, this Government and this PM will be the most unpopular in recorded history. If was never going to be an easy gig but how they are f*cking it up.
    Wait to January next year when they see the real consequences of leaving without a deal.

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

He was completely wrong.
    So he's right he just couldn't execute because he and Gove were easily fooled and foiled by stupid and incompetent civil servants?

This hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement.
    Nope just a fact of life. And one reason why it needs someone even more brutal than Cummings in there to get it done.

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

Any decent human whose child was not at all ill, and they were not ill and had relatives nearby would not have endangered lots of other people's children by driving 250 miles to their holiday home. If you cannot grasp that your mind is warped
  • Shapps is like the guys in the Office, looking occasionally at the camera and saying "why me"
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Wasn't Cummings supposed to walk after the GE for health reasons?

I knew that was all bullshit...someone like Cummings doesn't walk. He won't walk now.
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Based on this rubbish you can do exactly what you want , just have a family member with an imaginary illness and you can shoot off any time.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

Any decent human whose child was not at all ill, and they were not ill and had relatives nearby would not have endangered lots of other people's children by driving 250 miles to their holiday home. If you cannot grasp that your mind is warped
    Is there really any point? The other day he tried to make out EU FOM was racist to defend his ridiculous position. He's gone way off the deep end.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

There was an argument about seven or 14 days if I remember correctly. Not that that is applicable in this case.
    Seven if you live alone, 14 if there is anyone else in your household.
This discussion has been closed.