Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll of NON-VOTERS shows that LAB is losing most

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll of NON-VOTERS shows that LAB is losing most from untapped support

The figures are in the chart above and as can be seen nearly a third of the non-voters said Labour. The main point of the poll is to show what would happen if turnout levels could be increased.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First?
  • Options
    Non-voters in safe seats aren't a problem, but non-registered voters in safe seats are, because eventually the boundary commission will catch up with them and reduce the number of seats in Labour areas to compensate. At the other end of the scale, the most effective tactic in a safe seat held by the other side is to stay off the electoral register.

If Ed Miliband is ruthless - which I think he is - he'll reform the system to allocate seats based on population instead of voter registration, like they do in the US.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The answer looks nonsensical, because it's talking about the voting intentions of the people who do not vote. What was the actual question?
  • Options
    I suspect that these findings regarding non-voters' political sympathies would have been very similar in every decade since WWII. Labour sympathising people, by their very nature, are often found among groups of people with minimal civic engagement.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I think it's very indicative - those who support the "Something for Nothing" party can't even be bothered to vote. Just sit in front of the state funded plasma TV waiting for the benefits to flow unrestricted into their troughs.
  • Options

At the other end of the scale, the most effective tactic in a safe seat held by the other side is to stay off the electoral register.

I hadn't realised that. Yet another perversity of FPTP.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Non-voters in safe seats aren't a problem, but non-registered voters in safe seats are, because eventually the boundary commission will catch up with them and reduce the number of seats in Labour areas to compensate. At the other end of the scale, the most effective tactic in a safe seat held by the other side is to stay off the electoral register.

If Ed Miliband is ruthless - which I think he is - he'll reform the system to allocate seats based on population instead of voter registration, like they do in the US.

Ruthless to what purpose ?

He has no idea of what he would do in power.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    There is simply no point in investing resource at election time where it is not going to impact on the overall outcome

Mike, that is so wrong, I just don't know where to start.

From a purely narrow, selfish, perspective - let's call it from INSIDE the Westminster bubble - you may be right.

But as the political parties have a duty to seek to engage the broader population in the democratic process
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    More flab on the Labour vote that will likely disappear before the election
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think UKIP could do relatively well in some very safe seats where the main parties don't bother to campaign much.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Connected to ALP's wiki link on jaqueline gold on the last thread.

Say that her nanny had been charged with "administing posion with intent to annoy". That is just the best criminal charge - what's next: intent to mildly irritate?
  • Options
    Charles said:

There is simply no point in investing resource at election time where it is not going to impact on the overall outcome

From a purely narrow, selfish, perspective - let's call it from INSIDE the Westminster bubble - you may be right.

But as the political parties have a duty to seek to engage the broader population in the democratic process

Money is not unlimited. Choices have to be made. FPTP encourages a focus on the marginals. If we were really interested in engaging with as many people as possible we would change the voting system. I was living in a safe Tory seat in 2010. I did not see a single canvasser or receive a single leaflet from any of the main parties during the entire campaign.
  • Options
    Chilly morning in Stratford upon Avon, I hope my MP is keeping his horses nice and warm.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AndyJS said:

I think UKIP could do relatively well in some very safe seats where the main parties don't bother to campaign much.

The results of the 2014 local elections will be interesting.

• Options
    Interesting poll for other reasons though

"Which sources do you mostly get your political news from?" I don't know how many they could pick, but top of the list were:

BBC TV News 73%
    ITV News 34%
    Sky News 29%
    BBC News Website 26%
    Daily Mail 19%

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Full-Voters-NonVoters-Report.pdf
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    England fans are in danger of being fried to death in Perth at the moment. 37 degrees and almost no cover from the stands. The Fremantle Doctor is no doubt eagerly awaited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25349160
  • Options
    "North Korea has executed Kim Jong-un's uncle as a "traitor for all ages" who sought to grab power, state media announced early on Friday morning."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/12/north-korea-jang-song-thaek-executed
  • Options
    Would you be more likely to vote if you could vote online?

Yes 63%
    No 37%

(18-34 group were 80% yes; 55+ group were 49% yes)

Would be more likely to vote if election day was on a weekend?

Yes 39%
    No 61%

(White group 36% yes; non-white group 65% yes)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Of couse elections are decided by swing voters in marginal seats, and the next election will be won or lost in Broxtowe and Loughborough.

But I do agree with Charles. Parties do need to engage and build support for their long term agenda outside their natural homelands. This is how seats that were once safe seats become the marginals of the future. Not so long ago there were a number of safe Tory seats in Scotland, Sheffield Hallam was a safe Tory seat etc.

It all depends on the balance between your parties short term and long term views and the balance between these two. I do not expect UKIP to win a single seat in 2015, but the really interesting thing will be the reaction to this. Either they will implode spectacularly, or will have some centres where they have a realistic chance of winning in 2015+, it takes a while to build a marginal.

There is also a matter of trying to engage the wider electorate as Charles suggests. If parties only target swing voters in marginals then they have no justifiable complaint when the rest of us reciprocate by disengaging from them in return.
    Charles said:

• Options
    "The head of parliament's independent watchdog has claimed there is significant public support for giving MPs an 11% pay rise worth almost £8,000 after the next election as part of a package of reforms, despite David Cameron's demand that he drop the proposals."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/12/british-public-support-pay-rise-mps-watchdog
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Millsy said:

Yes 63%
    No 37%

Yes 39%
    No 61%

Online voting should not be allowed. Leaving aside the obvious voter fraud and security issues, system robustness is also an issue.

It would be absolute madness. The integrity of the electoral process matters, and online voting goes directly against that.
  • Options
    In a democracy voters will often vote to line their own pockets at others expense. This is as true of retired home owners as it is of benefit junkies. No system can easily fix this fundamental flaw in democracy, which remains the worst form of government apart from all the others.
    tim said:

A product of FPTP, and particularly young people are non voters hence Osbornes strategy aimed at protecting pensioners and stoking house prices.

Get rid of FPT and introduce compulsary voting and we could kill the British disease of housing inflation being preferable to investment for forty years, discuss.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Did we not do something similar to this a few weeks ago? My recollection was that the evidence showed that turnout in marginal seats was only 1-2% more than in the average safe seat with tory safe seats having pretty much the same level of turnout and Labour safe seats having a lower turnout.

If I am recalling that directly the proposition that Labour are efficient in GOTV in marginals is true only to a very small extent (a small extent that might make the difference in a marginal seat of course).

What this might also show is why so many pollsters in the past have over estimated Labour's actual performance and find the adjustments they have to make for the lower tendency to vote quite difficult. Labour supporters who do vote no doubt blur quite readily into those that don't and trying to draw the line between the 2 accurately is difficult.

It really is just as well for Labour that they have such charismatic and inspirational leadership eh? If Ed was just boring who knows how soft that polling lead might prove to be.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    I am not exactly a fully paid up member of the Equality and Human Rights Commission's fan club but in this case they do seem to have done a good job of saving our academics from their own stupidity and cowardice: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10514551/Official-watchdog-says-university-sex-segregation-plans-not-permissible.html

I just despair that those who claim to be a bastion of intellectual freedom and public virtue could ever have contemplated such guidelines in the first place. What were they thinking?
  • Options

Millsy said:

Yes 63%
    No 37%

Yes 39%
    No 61%

Online voting should not be allowed. Leaving aside the obvious voter fraud and security issues, system robustness is also an issue.

It would be absolute madness. The integrity of the electoral process matters, and online voting goes directly against that.
    That depends how it's done. No security system is perfect, and there are a lot of holes in the current one, that may actually get worse as the technology to attack it gets better.

That said, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to bring in online voting in the UK while the pre-internet generation is still so dominant in administering and verifying what happens.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 12th December - Con 35%, Lab 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%; APP -21
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    It takes a report to know what has been obvious for years!

"Many teenagers in Wales are put off from applying to Oxford and Cambridge Universities because of a lack of self-confidence, says a report.

The man tasked with getting more Welsh children into Oxbridge said teachers often lacked practical advice to offer pupils applying to top universities.

Former Welsh secretary Paul Murphy said pupils should be helped to "aim for the stars".....

"The number of pupils accepted into Oxbridge from Wales has been falling.

Figures have shown the number of comprehensive pupils getting into Oxbridge fell from 96 in 2008 to 76 in 2012."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25354809
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Australia bat a hell of a long way down their order.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008
    DavidL said:

I am not exactly a fully paid up member of the Equality and Human Rights Commission's fan club but in this case they do seem to have done a good job of saving our academics from their own stupidity and cowardice: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10514551/Official-watchdog-says-university-sex-segregation-plans-not-permissible.html

I just despair that those who claim to be a bastion of intellectual freedom and public virtue could ever have contemplated such guidelines in the first place. What were they thinking?

Though this was a suggestion put forward by Universities UK rather than any particular University. I would have found it much more worrying if anyone on the ground indicated that they thought this was a good idea, rather than it coming from some bureaucrats whose views can be cheerfully ignored.
  • Options

Millsy said:

Yes 63%
    No 37%

Yes 39%
    No 61%

That depends how it's done. No security system is perfect, and there are a lot of holes in the current one, that may actually get worse as the technology to attack it gets better.

That said, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to bring in online voting in the UK while the pre-internet generation is still so dominant in administering and verifying what happens.
    One of the problems with online voting is the chances of widespread voting fraud. In the current system, you have the PV system which can be gamed, and people turning up to polling booths. It is hard to commit fraud in the order of thousands, and especially to do it and not get caught. The UK ballot system is not perfect (especially the PV side), but it is hard to commit fraud on a large scale.

It may be easy to commit fraud in the thousands per constituency with electronic voting. Worse, if it is detected, it may throw the entire election into doubt and cause a lack of confidence in the system.

It's nothing to do with the pre-Internet generation. I'm probably in that generation (although I've been on t'Internet since 1989) but I know enough to be very concerned about the security. If anything, the more you know about t'Internet, the more you should worry about general security.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Tokyo, what problem is online voting supposed to solve? Just because technology can do something doesn't mean that it should.

If you can't be bothered walking a short distance once every 4-5 years then your opinion doesn't matter.
  • Options
    On topic: Seems to be some UKIP -> CON swing.
  • Options
    I'd be very interested in polling on why non-voters don't vote. Are they kin of Russell Brand, don't they care or don't they feel they know enough? If we regard the low levels of participation as unhealthy, we should be studying the reasons carefully.
  • Options
    Wicket !
  • Options
    Or maybe just a review...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'd be very interested in polling on why non-voters don't vote. Are they kin of Russell Brand, don't they care or don't they feel they know enough? If we regard the low levels of participation as unhealthy, we should be studying the reasons carefully.

Indeed - such polling would be very welcome..

Or just move to compulsory voting. ;-)
  • Options
    I suppose your 5 million immigrants should also be compelled to learn English as quid pro quo.

I wouldnt count on them voting Labour either. My Balkan colleagues hate anything smacking of Communism with a vengance, think the welfare state featherbeds the workshy, and actively dislike gypsies and muslims. I have them down as UKIP/Golden Dawn swing voters!

Plus all those pensioners will vote from Spain by post or electronically!
    tim said:

In a democracy voters will often vote to line their own pockets at others expense. This is as true of retired home owners as it is of benefit junkies. No system can easily fix this fundamental flaw in democracy, which remains the worst form of government apart from all the others.

tim said:

A product of FPTP, and particularly young people are non voters hence Osbornes strategy aimed at protecting pensioners and stoking house prices.

Get rid of FPT and introduce compulsary voting and we could kill the British disease of housing inflation being preferable to investment for forty years, discuss.

Incentivise pensioners to move to Spain and make room for more hardworking immigrants.
    You could allow them to retire at 68 rather than 70 if they moved, self financing permanent growth.

Incomers to sign an oath not to oppose all building in their areas, outgoers to learn Spanish from 65.
    Bish bosh, job done.
    And no more Tory govts ever.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Incentivise pensioners to move to Spain and make room for more hardworking immigrants.
    You could allow them to retire at 68 rather than 70 if they moved, self financing permanent growth.

Incomers to sign an oath not to oppose all building in their areas, outgoers to learn Spanish from 65.
    Bish bosh, job done.
    And no more Tory govts ever.

Did you think of this idea yourself because it seems reminiscent of the 1940s.

Incentivise the current population to move east of the Urals and replace them with oath swearing hard working immigrants.

Bish, bosh, job done.
    And no more Soviet govts ever.

Incidentally have you followed your advocacy of higher population densities yet by getting in some lodgers. Perhaps you could also build a shed in your back yard and fill it full of oath swearing hard working immigrants.

If not you're going to have to be incentivised to move to Spain, thus freeing up even more room for oath swearing hard working immigrants.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    All those rich pensioners whio are apparently bleeding the State dry seem to be starving to death
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    On the cricket - to say we need a wicket is a cliche. Yet we need a wicket. Looks a decent batting track.
  • Options
    Looks like Smith and Haddin have secured Australia the Ashes. All over before Christmas. Very disappointing. Entirely predictable. With our batsmen we are just not competitive.
  • Options
    I'd like to make a comment which requires me to insert a graphic (chart). Can anyone advise me how to put a chart into a comment?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    It seems the Labour soaraway rocket may be falling back to earth..
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Been occupied elsewhere - have I missed anything much?

Bar lots of articles about Nigella and Mandela, there's not much news to read.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

On the cricket - to say we need a wicket is a cliche. Yet we need a wicket. Looks a decent batting track.

Let's see how England fare on it first. Hopefully we'll at least make Australia bat twice.

• Options
    Miss Plato, Kim Jong-Un has executed his uncle.

England are not doing well at cricket.

Perez has joined Force India, so Di Resta is probably out of the sport.
  • Options
    Plato said:

tim and his cheerleaders hate Osborne and want more immigration
    PB righties think ED is crap
    the Nats are singing Flower of Scotland and all the polls are wrong.

Aside from that Nelson Mandela died.
  • Options

One of the problems with online voting is the chances of widespread voting fraud. In the current system, you have the PV system which can be gamed, and people turning up to polling booths. It is hard to commit fraud in the order of thousands, and especially to do it and not get caught. The UK ballot system is not perfect (especially the PV side), but it is hard to commit fraud on a large scale.

It may be easy to commit fraud in the thousands per constituency with electronic voting. Worse, if it is detected, it may throw the entire election into doubt and cause a lack of confidence in the system.

When you're dealing with security you need to think about the whole system - you certainly wouldn't want to just drop in electronic voting where you're currently doing in-person voting and leave everything else as it is.

What you're talking about is a combination of registration fraud and voting fraud. The UK system is designed with extremely lax registration requirements, but that doesn't matter too much because if you tried to exploit them at scale you'd catch the non-existent voter when they tried to vote. But the system as designed provided too little accessibility to be used consistently, so we ended up with all kinds of exceptions - if the person you've invented is old, or has a hard time moving around, or lives overseas, they were allowed to vote by post. Then that got expanded even further to cover people who just found postal voting more convenient, which upsets a lot of people here, but probably doesn't make much difference from a registration fraud point of view, because if you're going to make up a voter, you may as well make up an elderly, disabled or overseas voter.

If you moved to online voting, then as you don't have the check at the voting end, so what you'd do would be to beef up the checks at the registration end. A neat way to do it would be to phase it in starting with new voters, by registering voters at school. Most schools know approximately how many students they have, and really well-organized ones even know their names. At the same time you'd give them credentials which would allow them to vote secretly, even if someone was watching them when they did it. This will give you a proper secret ballot, unlike the current secret ballot system which has already been pretty much entirely broken by portable camera technology, and will be even more useless ten years from now.

In return a well-designed system will then give you much better audit trails, more convenience without compromising security, and much cheaper elections. Cheaper elections mean you can expand what you vote on - for example, parties are currently discouraged from holding primaries because of the cost, but there's no need for that - and you could expand referendums too, if that's what you wanted to do. Also you wouldn't have to close loads of primary schools to have elections in them, which is one of those outrageous things that we only accept because we're used to it.

It's nothing to do with the pre-Internet generation. I'm probably in that generation (although I've been on t'Internet since 1989) but I know enough to be very concerned about the security. If anything, the more you know about t'Internet, the more you should worry about general security.

I'm not talking about how much you worry about it, I'm talking about whether you know what kind of thing to worry about. For example, there are electronic voting systems in the US with ludicrously bad transparency - proprietary code, weak audit trails, badly managed updates - that, were you to do the equivalent with a paper system, would have everybody involved screaming blue murder. Because it's managed by a generation that isn't used to these things, they're overlooking all kinds of problems that could be fixed.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Right, they might be right not to vote. If you're less wise and well-informed than the median voter whose vote you'd be diluting, you'll get a better outcome by staying at home.
  • Options
    I agree, they are improving the system by not voting. Who wants Russell Brands opinion on anything?

antifrank said:

Right, they might be right not to vote. If you're less wise and well-informed than the median voter whose vote you'd be diluting, you'll get a better outcome by staying at home.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Property prices not wrecked schooling in London is the theme for today, kiddies.
  • Options
    Is it me or are England getting through their overs at a ridiculously slow rate ?
  • Options
    Yet another Labour-critical article in the Daily Record, which is usually slavishly loyal to SLab. Are we seeing a gradual change in their positioning?

'26 cowardly Scots MPs refuse to come out and say whether they are in favour of their impending 11 per cent pay rise'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/26-cowardly-scots-mps-refuse-2921124

First picture: Alistair Darling! :)

Jim Murphy, Charlie Kennedy, Ian Davidson, Cathy Jamieson, Malcolm Bruce and Michael Moore are also in there.
  • Options
    And Morning to Mr Dancer too!

Just seen this and it made me LOL

Tim Worstall @worstall
    Bugger!: ”Being an incorrigible rogue”, under the Vagrancy Act 1824, is one of 309 offences to be repealed and... bit.ly/1j2cfrW

Plato said:

tim and his cheerleaders hate Osborne and want more immigration
    PB righties think ED is crap
    the Nats are singing Flower of Scotland and all the polls are wrong.

Aside from that Nelson Mandela died.
  • Options

I'm not talking about how much you worry about it, I'm talking about whether you know what kind of thing to worry about. For example, there are electronic voting systems in the US with ludicrously bad transparency - proprietary code, weak audit trails, badly managed updates - that, were you to do the equivalent with a paper system, would have everybody involved screaming blue murder. Because it's managed by a generation that isn't used to these things, they're overlooking all kinds of problems that could be fixed.

(Snip lots of other good stuff, especially about the way it would be a different system).

Yep, I think I know the kind of things to be worried about, thanks.

Talking about problems with the code and hardware (and some current EV systems are hideous) is irrelevant until the shape of the system is defined. And as you say, it may be unlike current voting systems.

The problem with electronic voting is that there is so much of concern, in so many areas, however it is done. I agree with the tightening up of voter registration that would be needed, but that is just a small part of the problem.

For one thing, the system would need to be able to ensure that the person issuing a vote is the actual voter, and not someone else or even a bot running late-on using identities of people who have not voted. It would also have to be protected from man-in-the-middle and other forms of attack. The credentials you talk of are problematic: people are hopeless with credentials IRL as well as on the Internet.

It is also important that the audit trail can say that the person who voted had the right to vote, and only vote once in each individual poll; yet not be able to tell who it was who voted to allow anonymity. That may not be seen as a very important factor in UK polling, but is vital in more historically repressive regimes.

You mentioned accessibility, yet it should be remembered that, as strange as it may seem, not everyone has the Internet, or has even used the Internet (1), and the people who have not are likely to be elderly. Any EV system would have to have a non-EV component to cater for such people.

These are just some of the issues, which we could discuss all day. But the problems are not easy or simple to fix or work around, and the risks significant.

Could such a system work? Perhaps. Could such a system be secure, reliable, and have the confidence of the public? Not using the Internet in its current form.

(1): http://www.gezsmith.com/how-many-people-in-the-uk-use-the-internet/
  • Options
    Miss Plato, surely Mr. T should've been put on trial for such an offence? :p
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Property prices not wrecked schooling in London is the theme for today, kiddies.

Yes - but the paucity of the offering - cut n pasting anecdotes from opinion pieces is telling.
  • Options
    I think that you have not been paying attention. Osborne has masterfully steered the Economy through the rocks, put the Conservative party into a position where a return to power is quite possible and cemented a much loved place in our hearts. See ALP for details.

Meanwhile Ed Balls is studying South African sign language via the ANC correspondance course.
    tim said:

Osborne given licence to wreck the Tory Party is one thing, Osborne given licence to wreck the economy while trying to save his career is another.

"U.K. house prices rose to a record in November as strengthening demand pushed values higher in all regions of England and Wales, Acadametrics said.

Values increased 0.6 percent from October to an average 238,839 pounds ($390,900), the real-estate researcher and LSL Property Services Plc (LSL) said in a report today. Prices reached an all-time high in London and parts of the southeast as average values climbed 4.9 percent from a year ago. In London, prices surged an annual 9.2 percent in the quarter through November."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-13/london-surge-leads-u-k-house-prices-to-record.html

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options
    This one is for Mike:

- The Lib Dem MP looked clueless as he struggled to justify the Con-Dem welfare cuts that are plunging Scottish children into a life of poverty.
    Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael floundered yesterday when challenged to defend the way the Con-Dems are plunging Scottish children into poverty.

... Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg appointed Carmichael in October after sacking Michael Moore.

The Orkney and Shetland MP was meant to be more aggressive in defending the UK Government north of the Border and waging the referendum battle against Alex Salmond. But he fluffed his lines yesterday, frequently seeking advice from officials and seeming uncertain of key facts.

Asked how last week’s autumn statement by Chancellor George Osborne would affect child poverty, he said: “I don’t have it to hand …”

As he was handed papers by an aide, he stammered: “I have something that is just being pushed into my hand … and I don’t think it necessarily answers your question.”
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-secretary-alistair-carmichael-fails-2921487

If the future of the Union is resting, even partly, on Carmichael's shoulders then the Yes campaign have reason to be encouraged.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Perhaps. If you subscribe to the fox and the hedgehog theory of knowledge though, perhaps not.
  • Options
    @Stuart_Dickson Two uses of "Con-Dem" in the header and sub-header are pretty clear tells that the piece might not be written from a completely disinterested perspective.
  • Options
    Due to England's utterly disgraceful over rate we won't get any overs at Australia in the evening with the new ball. A deserved punishment.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Stuart_Dickson Two uses of "Con-Dem" in the header and sub-header are pretty clear tells that the piece might not be written from a completely disinterested perspective.

Can they not join the Kippers and go the full "LibLabCon" ?
  • Options
    Plato said:

The Daily Mail? has an article based on research, that suggests pet owners spend more on Christmas presents for their furry friends than they do on their mother in law. – and 5% of dogs have their own advent calendar…!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Can they not join the Kippers and go the full "LibLabCon" ?
    Is that known as going the whole 'Daily Telegraph' ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Miss Plato, Kim Jong-Un has executed his uncle.

England are not doing well at cricket.

Perez has joined Force India, so Di Resta is probably out of the sport.

Almost correct Plato ....

Apparently :

Kim Jong-Un has joined Force India, so his uncle is probably out of the sport

Perez and Di Resta are not doing well

And the England cricket team have been executed

• Options
    Ah Extra half hour must be ^^;;
  • Options
    JackW's Daily Chrimbo Quiz Question coming up ....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

Could such a system work? Perhaps. Could such a system be secure, reliable, and have the confidence of the public? Not using the Internet in its current form.

We could launch a huge national IT project with dedicated hardware and sotfware for it. What could possibly go wrong? :-)

More seriously, I think there's a case for some small pilot projects here, say for a few town councils where it doesn't really matter if the Monster Raving Loonies sweep the board. There are as you say obvious risks, but the current system has gaps too (does anyone ask you prove you're Mr Jessop when you go to vote?) and only seems satisfactory because we're used to it.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013

These are just some of the issues, which we could discuss all day. But the problems are not easy or simple to fix or work around, and the risks significant.

No disagreement from me there - like I say I think it's a little bit early to do this for national elections in the UK at the moment in any case, and there's a lot of progress involving distributed ledgers and things that will make things look a lot more promising if we wait. But just to pick up on one point:

It is also important that the audit trail can say that the person who voted had the right to vote, and only vote once in each individual poll; yet not be able to tell who it was who voted to allow anonymity. That may not be seen as a very important factor in UK polling, but is vital in more historically repressive regimes.

This isn't the case now - the anybody can tell exactly who goes to vote, and worse actually has an opportunity to physically intimidate and/or attack them both before and after they do it. I'm picking up on this because it's an example of something we see a lot when discussing changes to voting technology: A tendency to raise the bar far higher than it would be with existing systems, and overlook a lot of the defects of the systems we're using at the moment. This is especially true with paper and ballot box technology, which has a long and gruesome security history, and tends to fail on its arse it pretty much everywhere it gets tried, until each country finally manages to build a strong enough civil society to wrestle its many and varied security vulnerabilities down to an acceptable level.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Perhaps. If you subscribe to the fox and the hedgehog theory of knowledge though, perhaps not.
    Actually I'm having second thoughts about this one - I think we end up getting governed from Mount Stupid.
  • Options

antifrank said:

This is often not the case. In weather forecasting, for example, you get better forecasts when you combine the forecasts from all forecast models, rather than just using the best model.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2013

We could launch a huge national IT project with dedicated hardware and sotfware for it. What could possibly go wrong? :-)

More seriously, I think there's a case for some small pilot projects here, say for a few town councils where it doesn't really matter if the Monster Raving Loonies sweep the board. There are as you say obvious risks, but the current system has gaps too (does anyone ask you prove you're Mr Jessop when you go to vote?) and only seems satisfactory because we're used to it.

Why not turn National Lottery terminals into 'Voting Points'?

Secure network, readily accessible and the lower orders can select an MP whilst splurging their benefits money on fags'n'cider in the 24 hour MiniMart.

Chuck in a free scratch card and you're guaranteed a high turnout.

• Options

I'd be all for pilot projects, and more votes. But they need treating with care: there is a tendency for pilot projects to be implemented in the easy areas, leaving the problems with hard areas for later. Also, small-scale pilots may not be worth the bother of fraudsters, whereas large sale production systems may be (one of the reasons why hackers mostly ignored Linux and Apple systems until recently - they got more bang for their buck from attacking the much more plentiful Windows system (and yes, it was more susceptible as well)).

However, I'm also in favour of compulsory voting. ;-)

In the areas I have lived, I have been asked to show my poll card, and asked my name and address. I can't remember having been asked for ID. That is hardly the most onerous security. But it is also one of the advantages of the in-person voting: to commit fraud you have to have access to the poll card, and also enough people to go around the polling stations and make a difference.

This makes large-scale fraud at the polling station hard. Individuals can commit fraud, but it is hard for many people to do so. Leaving aside PV, the most effective place to commit widescale fraud would be at the count, which is probably why parties have observers at the counts.

EV allows the potential for fraud on a massive scale.
  • Options
    Their own advent calendars? I saw one survey that said something like 40% of pet owners sign their name's in Christmas cards to friends and relatives...

Plato said:

The Daily Mail? has an article based on research, that suggests pet owners spend more on Christmas presents for their furry friends than they do on their mother in law. – and 5% of dogs have their own advent calendar…!
  • Options
    Well done to yesterday's winners and your prizes are in the post .... Er hhmmm ....

Ok off we go then .... and firstly a clue !!

The answer does not involve Scottish nobles - No Sireee .... although I think the Coalition should legislate that 50% of all quiz questions answers should feature members of the North British aristocracy, but that's just a personal foible.

Which historic high office and political party links :

a. The firebrand "son of a washerwoman"
    b. The father of the first female spitfire pilot in WWII.
    c. The husband of a lady of a former Portuguese Asian colony

And who are the three individuals ?
  • Options
    Financier said:

"Many teenagers in Wales are put off from applying to Oxford and Cambridge Universities because of a lack of self-confidence, says a report.

The man tasked with getting more Welsh children into Oxbridge said teachers often lacked practical advice to offer pupils applying to top universities.

Former Welsh secretary Paul Murphy said pupils should be helped to "aim for the stars".....

Figures have shown the number of comprehensive pupils getting into Oxbridge fell from 96 in 2008 to 76 in 2012."

Much of this problem would disappear overnight if the interview system were dropped in favour of a lottery from all applicants with the requisite number of UCAS points. This would be fairer, cheaper and could be run after A-level results are known.

Of course, if the aim of an Oxbridge education is to make the right contacts, diluting the presence of "the right sort of people" rather spoils the pudding.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013

That sounds like the right way forward. In a way I think we actually need some of these systems to be tried and publicly hacked, because like I say up-thread, even if we had really good theoretical designs, the difficult problem is training mid-level election administrators and party election-watchers well enough that they won't let the people in charge deploy broken implementations of them for anything important.
  • Options

Financier said:

Much of this problem would disappear overnight if the interview system were dropped in favour of a lottery from all applicants with the requisite number of UCAS points. This would be fairer, cheaper and could be run after A-level results are known.

Of course, if the aim of an Oxbridge education is to make the right contacts, diluting the presence of "the right sort of people" rather spoils the pudding.
    Wales's problem is far deeper than a 'self confidence' issue, as the recent Pisa report shows.

• Options
    JackW said:

Well done to yesterday's winners and your prizes are in the post .... Er hhmmm ....

The answer does not involve Scottish nobles - No Sireee .... although I think the Coalition should legislate that 50% of all quiz questions answers should feature members of the North British aristocracy, but that's just a personal foible.

Are we allowed partial guesses, as I think I know two of the above, although the link's got me flummoxed.
  • Options

JackW said:

Are we allowed partial guesses, as I think I know two of the above, although the link's got me flummoxed.
    Absolutely. Go for it

• Options
    antifrank said:

So, in your opinion, Carmichael's performance yesterday was a masterclass?

One does not need to be disinterested to recognise a turkey when you see one.
  • Options

Financier said:

Wales's problem is far deeper than a 'self confidence' issue, as the recent Pisa report shows.

That is a compltely separate issue .. but even before PISA it had been suggested Welsh pupils did worse because they were unused to taking tests.

Now, if we stop spinning for a moment, that actually raises an interesting point. If rehearsing taking tests works, then the increased focus on testing and practising for GCSEs probably explains part of "grade inflation". That is not to say the questions have not been dumbed down, but that it is not the whole story.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolutely. Go for it

a) The firebrand son of a washerwoman: John Burns ?

b) The father of the first female spitfire pilot in WWII: Robert Gower? (Although his daughter was the head of the Air Transport Auxiliary; I'm not sure she was it's first pilot. Indeed, I'm not sure how you can class who was the first)

Not sure about c.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Absolutely. Go for it

a) The firebrand son of a washerwoman: John Burns ?

b) The father of the first female spitfire pilot in WWII: Robert Gower? (Although his daughter was the head of the Air Transport Auxiliary; I'm not sure she was it's first pilot. Indeed, I'm not sure how you can class who was the first)

Not sure about c.
    a. John Burns is correct. Widely considered to be the second "working man" to enter the cabinet. He was widely recognised for his work in his Battersea constituency. He fell out with government in WWI and left politics completely.

b. No not Robert Gower. This as you imply is slightly more tricky but the lady concerned is broadly acknowledged as the first female spitfire pilot.

c. Further clue - "You picked the ball up and ran with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Options

antifrank said:

So, in your opinion, Carmichael's performance yesterday was a masterclass?

One does not need to be disinterested to recognise a turkey when you see one.
    You're not slow in dismissing hostile press reports about the performance of SNP notables when it suits you.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Stoke up prices with state subsidies and land banks click in,who knew?

The wrong kind of housebuilding?
  • Options
    tim said:

SeanT said:

From the FT, for tim

Total new housing is now at its highest level since Q4 2007 while public new housing is at its highest level since Q3 1993. Total new housing has now shown six consecutive periods of positive growth, despite a quarterly fall in the private new housing series, the first time this has occurred since Q1 1993.

2012/13 was the lowest total since the 1920s

Sorry what are you complaining about ? New public housing at the highest level since 1993 and rising ?

Meanwhile Ed is posting selfies with Lily Allen - he may think she is Ruth Madoc mind you..
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Neil said:

tim said:

The wrong kind of housebuilding?
    Those dreadful toffs - nevermind a delicious omelette - they have broken poor defenceless eggs !!!

No wonder Labour did nothing in office - like tim - unlike IDS - unlike GO - too timid.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

SeanT said:

From the FT, for tim

Total new housing is now at its highest level since Q4 2007 while public new housing is at its highest level since Q3 1993. Total new housing has now shown six consecutive periods of positive growth, despite a quarterly fall in the private new housing series, the first time this has occurred since Q1 1993.

2012/13 was the lowest total since the 1920s
    Meanwhile Ed is posting selfies with Lily Allen - he may think she is Ruth Madoc mind you..
    Such poise, and all thanks to a comprehensive school education.

Dear old Ralph would be very proud.

• Options
    @PopulusPolls: New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 38 (-3); Cons 33 (=); LD 13 (+2); UKIP 9 (+2); Oth 7 (-1) Tables http://t.co/KUv6MRUQOZ
  • Options
    Further, further clue -

c. "Strictly" speaking this person is by far the most well known of the three and is presently an MP
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

Looks like Smith and Haddin have secured Australia the Ashes. All over before Christmas. Very disappointing. Entirely predictable. With our batsmen we are just not competitive.

I know you are trolling, and I admit England's batting has been awful, althoigh it probably won us the Ashes last time in Aus, but its ridiculous not to have a Look at the bowling as well. The Aussie tail, particularly Johnson and Harris, have taken our attack apart and they're hardly Ponting and Waugh. Swann has been poor all series as has the third seamer each test.

Bowling coach David Saker has just been interviewed and is steaming regarding the terrible length our boys have bowled today, and the team selection, which leads me to my original point...

It should not be allowed for a foreigner to play any role in international sport. It is utterly ridiculous that an Australian is in charge of England's bowling in the Ashes..

International sport should be about how good each nation is, and that means in every single aspect, coaching, physiotherapy etc etc

It should be a matter of complete and utter shame to resort to hiring a foreigner, let alone the unfairness of it on poorer nations who can't afford such good coaches etc

I know we have SA born players, and I would look more closely at that too, but at least they are claiming to be English
  • Options

@PopulusPolls: New Populus Voting Intention figures: Lab 38 (-3); Cons 33 (=); LD 13 (+2); UKIP 9 (+2); Oth 7 (-1) Tables http://t.co/KUv6MRUQOZ

MOE MOE !!!
  • Options
    Further encouraging economic news. Getting ever closer to the light at the end of the tunnel!

http://www.cityam.com/article/1386903318/britain-s-great-wage-squeeze-ends-last
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited December 2013
    TGOHF said:

MOE MOE !!!
    This margin of error.....

If a party are only going to possibly get between 30-44 the margin of error should be 2 at most... So movement of more than one is outside the MOE

In a spread betting 25 Index (min 0 max 25) the spread would be 1.5
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.