Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation poll of NON-VOTERS shows that LAB is losing most

13»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Too many tweets make a ...

@TelegraphNews: Labour MP Jack Dromey accused of being racist after using the word 'pikey' http://t.co/bPwNS33uPL
  • Options
    52% Dislike Ed Balls’ Policies – wonder if he gives a toss?

http://order-order.com/2013/12/13/52-dislike-ed-balls-policies/#comments
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @Scot_P
    Time for the Twitter Police to arrest him and charge him with hate crimes against humanity, theft of oxygen and removal of common sense.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,338
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No, we should use the best Englishman or woman available, and should feel ashamed at hiring anyone without a British passport.

So, you would rather we lost test matches. Well, it's a view I guess.

I would rather lose than cheat yes
    Let me fix that for you: "I would rather lose than abide by the same rules as all other teams in the competition."
    "We'll it's a view I guess" and "let me fix that for you" within a couple of hours.... I don't think you need any coaching to win the annoying smugness medal

But I would rather lose than cheat, even if everyone else was cheating yes

Standards, morals and principles are not flexible for me
    Usually, the word 'cheap' implies not playing by the same rules as everyone else. Having a foreign coach means playing by exactly the same rules as everyone else. If you want to change the rules, that's fine (although you will find scant support for that in the governing bodies of football or cricket). However, so long as we play according the rules, we cannot, by definition, be cheating.

But just to you remember, the bowling coach before Saker was Ottis Gibson (West Indian). The current overall coach is Andy Flower (South African). If you drift back a few years, Dene Hills (Australian) was the batting coach. In fact, if you read the Mike Brearley Ashes trilogy from the early 1980s, you will find a significant number of non-English (and Scottish, etc.) coaching and support staff. It simply has never been the case that coaching staff have been considered 'part of the team', so do you wish to accuse pretty much every English team in living memory of cheating?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dr_spyn said:

@Scot_P
    Time for the Twitter Police to arrest him and charge him with hate crimes against humanity, theft of oxygen and removal of common sense.

It's the cover-up that will get you.

Apparently Labour HQ sent out a release claiming it was an auto-correct error. The JD himself sent out another claiming it was the guys nickname.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelegraphNews: Labour MP Jack Dromey accused of being racist after using the word 'pikey' http://t.co/bPwNS33uPL

I often think that phrase is the wrong way around -Too many t---s make a tweet ' is more apt imho
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It's the cover-up that will get you.

I can only imagine the tim-a-thon if a Conservative MP had used the p-y word...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Applying the L&N model to IPSOS we have:-

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 7.3%
    Con seat lead 57 seats

(10000 Monte Carlo simulations)

Chance of Tory vote lead: 99.9%
    Chance of a Tory seat lead: 97.4%

Chance of a Hung Parliament: 63.5%
    Chance of a Tory majority: 36.5%
    Chance of a Labour majority: 0.0%

A recovery in Tory fortunes, after a slight weakening last month, back to more or less where it's been since May 2013.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No, we should use the best Englishman or woman available, and should feel ashamed at hiring anyone without a British passport.

So, you would rather we lost test matches. Well, it's a view I guess.

I would rather lose than cheat yes
    Let me fix that for you: "I would rather lose than abide by the same rules as all other teams in the competition."
    "We'll it's a view I guess" and "let me fix that for you" within a couple of hours.... I don't think you need any coaching to win the annoying smugness medal

But I would rather lose than cheat, even if everyone else was cheating yes

Standards, morals and principles are not flexible for me
    Usually, the word 'cheap' implies not playing by the same rules as everyone else. Having a foreign coach means playing by exactly the same rules as everyone else. If you want to change the rules, that's fine (although you will find scant support for that in the governing bodies of football or cricket). However, so long as we play according the rules, we cannot, by definition, be cheating.

But just to you remember, the bowling coach before Saker was Ottis Gibson (West Indian). The current overall coach is Andy Flower (South African). If you drift back a few years, Dene Hills (Australian) was the batting coach. In fact, if you read the Mike Brearley Ashes trilogy from the early 1980s, you will find a significant number of non-English (and Scottish, etc.) coaching and support staff. It simply has never been the case that coaching staff have been considered 'part of the team', so do you wish to accuse pretty much every English team in living memory of cheating?
    You mean "cheat" I suppose?

I surely have made myself clear?
    I would think using any person not qualified to compete for the Nation to coach the team, or a department of the team, to be cheating... there are levels, some cheating is more serious than other cheating, but it is all wrong.

If everyone else is cheating, it makes no difference

Whether it as been going on for years, or if it a new thing is irrelevant. In my eyes it is cheating.

I don't suppose it will ever change, but that doesn't alter what I think one bit. I would feel happier for any nation that succeeded in sporting competition using only their own resources, and I think they would feel prouder too,

You see it differently, that's your choice.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Jack's on the way to Paris, and his wife's going to stay at home....hums Tchaikovsky 6 3rd movement.
  • Options
    isam said:

tim said:

@isam

Maybe we should ban Andy Murray in the olympics, after all he not only uses Lendl he also spent years being coached properly in Barcelona, traitor.

Never heard such nonsense.

You should read some of your own posts then!

Not saying anyone should be banned because of who coaches them

Fair enough for And Murray to be coached by whoever he likes when he is playing in individual events, but if there is such a thing as a Davis Cup coach, then that coach should have to qualify for the team the same as the players, in terms of nationality
    Utter bollox. We would be world champions at cricket and football as no other countries would have learnt the sport from English coaches. Should English coaches not go to South Africa / USA and coach kids there?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Im sure everyone on here, apart from me of course, would agree it is racist.

I used the term "pikey food" to describe frozen lasagne on here and was roundly criticized

So come on tim, Roger and all the others who piled in when I said it, lets condemn the Labour MP
  • Options
    on the subject of cheating in sport ,isn't it nice to recall those pure ,warming the heart moments when sportspersons not only do not cheat but also do not leave it to the umpire/ref to make a decision if they know they are in the wrong- There are not that many that come to mind in most sports but there is something uplifting watching Adam Gilchrist walking when he knew he nicked or Robbie Fowler trying to persuade the ref it wasn't a penalty for his side.

Modern sport seems a bit grubby (I wasn't proud of Stuart Broad at Trent Bridge for instance) when there is no honour amongst the competitors - Golf is becoming a little more ruthless in this regard as well
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,338
    isam said:

You see it differently, that's your choice.

My view is that we should do everything we can within the rules of the competition to win.

I would be perfectly comfortable changing the rules in the way you suggest, however - as I made clear in a comment to state_go_away - I think that it would be basically unenforceable, as players could personally hire their own coaches (see tennis), and private individuals could donate 'advisors'.

My comments are not really about the rights and wrongs of foreign coaches. They are about the fact that we play within a set of rules that are determined by a sport's governing body. We cannot be cheating so long as we play within those rules. And we should do everything we can within those rules to win.
  • Options

isam said:

tim said:

@isam

Maybe we should ban Andy Murray in the olympics, after all he not only uses Lendl he also spent years being coached properly in Barcelona, traitor.

Never heard such nonsense.

You should read some of your own posts then!

Not saying anyone should be banned because of who coaches them

Fair enough for And Murray to be coached by whoever he likes when he is playing in individual events, but if there is such a thing as a Davis Cup coach, then that coach should have to qualify for the team the same as the players, in terms of nationality
    Utter bollox. We would be world champions at cricket and football as no other countries would have learnt the sport from English coaches. Should English coaches not go to South Africa / USA and coach kids there?

No problem at all as long as they aren't coaching the national team

• Options

on the subject of cheating in sport ,isn't it nice to recall those pure ,warming the heart moments when sportspersons not only do not cheat but also do not leave it to the umpire/ref to make a decision if they know they are in the wrong- There are not that many that come to mind in most sports but there is something uplifting watching Adam Gilchrist walking when he knew he nicked or Robbie Fowler trying to persuade the ref it wasn't a penalty for his side.

Modern sport seems a bit grubby (I wasn't proud of Stuart Broad at Trent Bridge for instance) when there is no honour amongst the competitors - Golf is becoming a little more ruthless in this regard as well

Again I completely agree with you.

I have been a bad sport many time in my life, and I am quite ashamed, but I don't cheat.
  • Options
    @isam Jack Dromey should certainly criticised for that. As an MP, he should be setting an example in his use of language.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Betfair most seats

Lab 1.78
    Con 2.3

• Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Im sure everyone on here, apart from me of course, would agree it is racist.

I used the term "pikey food" to describe frozen lasagne on here and was roundly criticized

So come on tim, Roger and all the others who piled in when I said it, lets condemn the Labour MP
    In Birmingham, pikey translates to either gypsy or tramp. So it's not racist, its just offensive. Dromey spends so little time in Birmingham he wouldn't know this.
  • Options
    Out of interest, isam, how did you feel about a group of Hungarians winning Britain's Got Talent?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Yet they all expressed a total loathing of the ANC and particularly Zuma, who seems hated even by blacks.''

A significant minority of the audience at last night's QT clearly thought the ANC was in the rich white man's pocket. There was manifestly support for a much more 'radical' solution.

And we thought we had problems...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Definite signs that the improving economy is eating into the Labour lead.

I spoke to a well-known Tory MP at a Telegraph shindig t'other day, and asked him what he REALLY thought of their electoral chances. He said there was a 10-20% chance of an overall Tory majority, but he put the odds of a continuing Tory-led Coalition at more than 50%.

He's a smart guy - one of the smartest in the party - and he was being honest.

Intriguing.

Takes a while to seep through to the non political geeks that the economy is improving.

Another 18 months to go - looks like Hodges will prove crowd on here wrong.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    After his earlier problems not sure it was wise for Dromey to be photographed with his arm around a postal worker - 'pikey' or otherwise.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TGOHF said:

looks like Hodges will prove crowd on here wrong.

David Miliband will end up leader of the Labour party?
  • Options
    tim said:

First Free School to be shut down, that miniature Montessori bollocks thing in Crawley I think.

Sounds like a real game changer.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

looks like Hodges will prove crowd on here wrong.

David Miliband will end up leader of the Labour party?
    Wait - he isn't the leader ???

This discussion has been closed.