Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Expectations of an easing are running high and Boris looks set

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:
    First time for everything...

Wait, no, I tried reading it and gave up after he complained that we don't have a functioning free press, on the basis that they won't all write what he wants them to write.
    I think his point is more that they seem to write what the government wants them to write. The best bit of the article for me was - regarding the Ferguson thing - his saying how tacky and inappropriate it was to splash the WOMAN'S face all over the front pages. I'm glad I'm not alone in finding that completely outrageous.
    Oh yeah, that's a decent point, but I didn't get that far, and it's got nothing to do with the main issue. But on the first bit, I think he's entirely wrong: it's much more sensible for the papers to focus on the judgment of one of the Government's lead advisors than to obsess over round numbers and inappropriate international comparisons. Albeit that they may be doing it for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited May 2020
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Darling on R4. A reminder of a time when Labour had proper front rank politicians.

No politician did more to lose Labour its Scottish seats.
    Why? Gordon Brown's Labour easily won most seats in Scotland in 2010 and Darling led the winning No campaign in 2014.

It was only under Ed Miliband Labour lost its Scottish MPs
    Mate.
    Did you notice HYUFD fails to remember that Mr Darling reduced the Unionist vote from 75% or so to 55%? Edit: the pro-indy vote was about 25% at the start of the campaign, but in fairness to Mr D I can't remember when he actually took over, so I may be unfair to him, actually. But he point that the unionist vote went down is correct.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Wait, no, I tried reading it and gave up after he complained that we don't have a functioning free press, on the basis that they won't all write what he wants them to write.
    I think his point is more that they seem to write what the government wants them to write. The best bit of the article for me was - regarding the Ferguson thing - his saying how tacky and inappropriate it was to splash the WOMAN'S face all over the front pages. I'm glad I'm not alone in finding that completely outrageous.
    Is there any evidence to the claim the government wanted them to write that?

And anyway his whole thesis is nonsense since he's spinning the claim that the UK's death toll is higher than Italy's when we know that is factually incorrect given Italy's death toll isn't trying to include the care home deaths of which we know there have been a lot.

So he's complaining the press aren't lying. What a shame.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited May 2020
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Darling on R4. A reminder of a time when Labour had proper front rank politicians.

He came seriously close to losing the Indyref.
    I don't know what you are talking about David. Better Together was a colossus of a campaign, heroically reducing Scotland's natural 90% support for Indy down to a mere 45%. It is a blueprint for how all political campaigning should be performed.

Sorry, I blacked out and Duncan Hothersall took over my body there.
    No won with 55% of the vote in 2014, if it had ran as crap a campaign as Remain did in 2016 it would have lost
    I played a very active part in that campaign. It was awful. Darling could not really bring himself to say anything good about the UK because it was led by the Coalition. He was entirely negative in his approach, characterised by the SNP as the "too wee, too stupid" argument. They had a point. His performance in the debates against Salmond really scared me, I thought he had lost.

Only Ruth Davidson with a bit of Gordon Brown towards the end was British and genuinely proud of it. Only the good sense of the Scottish people saved the Union.
    The focus on Better Together and more devolution as well as the economic warnings was effective.

In contrast Remain had nothing but economic warnings with no real concessions from the EU.

In referendum terms 55% to 45% is a solid win
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No. We should not be suspending party politics or criticism of the government just because the PM wants to do his Churchill impersonation act. We didn’t do this in war-time. We shouldn’t do it now.

Actually in war-time we did set aside party political differences and seek the best for the country. Both in WWII and in more recent wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan parties have tried to do the right thing for the country and not just think about party first.

There is absolutely room to criticise mistakes, there was then and there is now. But the criticism of the government should be because there is something appropriate to criticise not because the government is led by a party or politician that you dislike.
    That is simply not true.

During WW2 we changed Prime Minister twice, there were by-elections and votes of no confidence in Parliament.

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, while soldiers may have been supported, party politics continued and there was very severe criticism of what the government was doing, sometimes from its own members and supporters.

My criticism of the government is based on what it has done or is failing to do. Over testing, over PPE, over care homes, over its confused messaging and over its initial economic help.

I appreciate that it is a very difficult situation and that it may well be trying its best. But it does not get a free pass from criticism just because this makes its supporters feel uncomfortable. Some of the criticism also needs to be levelled at previous governments who it appears failed to implement the lessons learned from its pandemic exercises (Hunt and May, for instance).
    I never said give a free pass did I? I said criticise where its appropriate because there is something to criticise.

Criticising (or defending) with spin because "my team right or wrong" helps nobody.
    I don’t have a “team”. I have set out the basis of my criticisms / suggestions in posts and headers. You appear to be on Boris’s side no matter what. Perhaps I have got this wrong?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

I expect there to be a full and open enquiry about what has happened in due time and IF there is clear evidence Government action or inaction deliberately caused unnecessary suffering and death I would expect Ministers to accept responsibility and resign.

This feels comically unlikely.
    Trying to hold the enquir(es) will tell us quite a lot.

On past performance, if permanent officials were involved, the obstruction of the enquiry holding process will be illuminating, just by itself.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I think that there has been too much emphasis on we did what seemed right on the evidence we had at the time and not enough on well, if we knew what we know now... On that I agree.

Nonsense, it's a novel virus, to not go as precautionary as possible was always wildly irresponsible.
    I disagree. There's novel viruses regularly. If we go 'as precautionary as possible' we'd be trashing our economy all the time for no good reason.

Balance is key in anything.
  • Options
    Some Chopin from a friend of mine - for those needing a reminder that life is more than hiding from a virus - https://youtu.be/gb-1hFPEz8o
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Why? Gordon Brown's Labour easily won most seats in Scotland in 2010 and Darling led the winning No campaign in 2014.

Mate.
    Did you notice HYUFD fails to remember that Mr Darling reduced the Unionist vote from 75% or so to 55%? Edit: the pro-indy vote was about 25% at the start of the campaign, but in fairness to Mr D I can't remember when he actually took over, so I may be unfair to him, actually. But he point that the unionist vote went down is correct.
    So what, Scottish Nationalism was always going to get 40%+ in reality, the SNP already got about 45% in 2011.

No in the end however defeated it as Remain was not able to defeat British Nationalism in 2016
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Up to your usual Scottish lack of knowledge. Miliband had nothing to do with other than being the dupe to follow tweedledee and tweedledum. Their supporting the Tories against the interests of Scotland was what did for them. They have no chance of any return until they realise that they are supposed to be a Scottish party and support independence, plus change almost every donkey they currently have as MSP's.
    If people want independence they will vote SNP or a new Nat party, if Scottish Labour backed independence it would just lose its Unionist vote
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    kyf_100 said:

nichomar said:

I’m back suffice to say diarrhea and chemo still in hospital so won’t bore everybody

Wishing you all the best, Nichomar.
    Seconded.

I just had my third not-in-hospital appointment, and now have 2 visits planned for the next 8 weeks. So they are back in business to an extent, and it is all quite quiet at our place.

One of those will be moderately invasive - knitting needle in the thigh to get some bonemarrow out. Apparently it hurts slightly.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No. We should not be suspending party politics or criticism of the government just because the PM wants to do his Churchill impersonation act. We didn’t do this in war-time. We shouldn’t do it now.

Actually in war-time we did set aside party political differences and seek the best for the country. Both in WWII and in more recent wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan parties have tried to do the right thing for the country and not just think about party first.

There is absolutely room to criticise mistakes, there was then and there is now. But the criticism of the government should be because there is something appropriate to criticise not because the government is led by a party or politician that you dislike.
    That is simply not true.

During WW2 we changed Prime Minister twice, there were by-elections and votes of no confidence in Parliament.

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, while soldiers may have been supported, party politics continued and there was very severe criticism of what the government was doing, sometimes from its own members and supporters.

My criticism of the government is based on what it has done or is failing to do. Over testing, over PPE, over care homes, over its confused messaging and over its initial economic help.

I appreciate that it is a very difficult situation and that it may well be trying its best. But it does not get a free pass from criticism just because this makes its supporters feel uncomfortable. Some of the criticism also needs to be levelled at previous governments who it appears failed to implement the lessons learned from its pandemic exercises (Hunt and May, for instance).
    I never said give a free pass did I? I said criticise where its appropriate because there is something to criticise.

Criticising (or defending) with spin because "my team right or wrong" helps nobody.
    I don’t have a “team”. I have set out the basis of my criticisms / suggestions in posts and headers. You appear to be on Boris’s side no matter what. Perhaps I have got this wrong?
    I'm not criticising you for criticising the government. I agreed with someone else saying partisanship should be dropped and you disagreed with that.

Incidentally I also said defending the government no matter what is no more appropriate. I've criticised the government where I found it appropriate to do so. Dropping partisanship cuts both ways.

Specifically I criticised the lack of support to business after the government advised people not to use them but no support came. I said how could companies pay wages etc if the government is driving business away from them? I said that its not a free market and made an analogy to how the government pays for compulsory purchase orders if they take a businesses land away normally - and that taking away customers is comparable. I got into an argument on this site with HYUFD who was claiming the loan scheme was sufficient and I said that was absurd - you probably didn't notice that as I was agreeing with you and its easier to notice when people disagree. Thankfully since then the furlough scheme etc were announced.

If the furlough scheme is withdrawn before orders banning/advising customers not to attend businesses is lifted then I would criticise that too.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450

Moth du Jour: Hummingbird Hawkmoth. A migrant from Europe, they are a not infrequent visitor to our gardens.

I seem to remember a story that as the troops crossed the channel on D-Day there was a noticeable migration movement of these moths going the other way. Insect migration is much less noticeable than that of birds but equally fascinating.

• Options
    Another article in the MSM which appears to have been inspired (the phrase “a carbon copy” might also be used) by a header on here.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/is-it-time-to-let-winston-churchill-go-ldmbbx3wf

OGH should be getting contributions from the Times to PB.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Endillion said:

Oh dear. Turkish PPE no better than the Chinese equivalent:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52569364

Incidentally, anyone know if the much-vaunted EU scheme has managed to find any equipment yet? All gone very quiet on that front...

Edit: hijacking my own post to share this, which I've not seen posted here yet:
    https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

No idea if the data is actually useful to anyone, but lots of pretty graphs.

A german friend says that his medical line relatives are fuming about the PPE situation there. Apparently a tale of shortages, purchases of stuff that failed quality control, distribution problems...

The EU scheme is considered to be one of those ponderous programs that will arrive. One day. As opposed to someone going to Wurth directly.
    The story will be the same reality the world over - however that doesn't allow you to blame the UK Government so the story the reality is ignored.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I think that there has been too much emphasis on we did what seemed right on the evidence we had at the time and not enough on well, if we knew what we know now... On that I agree.

Nonsense, it's a novel virus, to not go as precautionary as possible was always wildly irresponsible.
    So you think we should have closed the economy down for SARS? Or H1N1 or bird flu? Novel virus is not the criteria, nor is there any absolutes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

I expect there to be a full and open enquiry about what has happened in due time and IF there is clear evidence Government action or inaction deliberately caused unnecessary suffering and death I would expect Ministers to accept responsibility and resign.

This feels comically unlikely.
    There never has been an enquiry that was truly "open". There are always parameters in there somewhere. Eg the Iraq war enquiry with its "terms of reference"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Nichomar, hope you get well soon.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Indeed. We knew that viruses spread exponentially. We knew that the Chinese had gone to extreme lengths to contain it. We knew that it was spreading rapidly in Italy. And yet Boris still dithered. It's absolutely unforgivable.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

And anyway his whole thesis is nonsense since he's spinning the claim that the UK's death toll is higher than Italy's when we know that is factually incorrect given Italy's death toll isn't trying to include the care home deaths of which we know there have been a lot.

Can I link to a memo from the government asking for the papers to lead with a massive photo of Ferguson's girlfriend rather than our Covid-19 death toll becoming the highest in Europe?

Let me have a root around. I'll be back.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

You do have a team, you are a centre left social democrat.

When was the last time you did a thread or post praising the Tory government?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Thanks for the good wishes. It’s striking how nothing has changed on here in two and a half weeks. I might one day feel up to writing about being behind the covid front line while not a sufferer.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Can I link to a memo from the government asking for the papers to lead with a massive photo of Ferguson's girlfriend rather than our Covid-19 death toll becoming the highest in Europe?

Let me have a root around. I'll be back.
    Thanks. Let me know when you are back.

Again feat toll being highest in Europe is nonsense unless you look per capita (Belgium are worse) or like for like with accurate stats (Italy and Spain are worse)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited May 2020
    BT announce it has cancelled it dividends for 2020 and 2021

The widescale cancellation of company dividends is going to cause havoc in the pension industry and beyond

There is justification for being critical of the government and errors have been made.

However, no amount of anger at HMG or Boris is going to change the place we are at and Boris has 4 years in front of him before facing the electorate

The newspapers are all over the place but it is clear the right leaning ones want an immediate lifting of lockdown and back to normal in a few weeks, in some way like Trump

Others are more cautious with every justification, and Andy Burnham on Sky this morning was very mature when interviewed by Burley saying the north are two weeks behind London, and like Nicola Sturgeon, cautions against early release of lockdown. He also rebuked Burley over the testing numbers saying he was grateful the 100,000 target had effectively seen a huge increase in tests

The Turkey gown debacle is a result of ministers making a silly premature announcement but to be fair it is good they have impounded them. Of course Burley had the answer that the consignment should have been approved before the aircraft took off from Turkey.

So Burley expects each consigment of PPE coming into the UK needs prior certification by UK authorities before loading and takeoff. Really

I like Burnham and he is a loss to the national labour party and Nicola is also doing well. The less said about Drakeford in Wales though the better

I hope Boris's announcement shows respect for those who urge caution but also moves a little way to easing the lockdown. He has a difficult balancing act

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

She broke the law by travelling across London without a reasonable excuse
    While you're not supposed to have friends round either, I think the regulations are framed such that it is the person going out who is breaking them, and the police have no right to investigate on private premises.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

I'm not criticising you for criticising the government. I agreed with someone else saying partisanship should be dropped and you disagreed with that.

Incidentally I also said defending the government no matter what is no more appropriate. I've criticised the government where I found it appropriate to do so. Dropping partisanship cuts both ways.

Specifically I criticised the lack of support to business after the government advised people not to use them but no support came. I said how could companies pay wages etc if the government is driving business away from them? I said that its not a free market and made an analogy to how the government pays for compulsory purchase orders if they take a businesses land away normally - and that taking away customers is comparable. I got into an argument on this site with HYUFD who was claiming the loan scheme was sufficient and I said that was absurd - you probably didn't notice that as I was agreeing with you and its easier to notice when people disagree. Thankfully since then the furlough scheme etc were announced.

If the furlough scheme is withdrawn before orders banning/advising customers not to attend businesses is lifted then I would criticise that too.
    I seem to recall that one of the reasons many Tories 'didn't like' Aneurin Bevan was that he 'led' the Opposition to Churchill during the war, not being afraid to criticise when he thought it appropriate.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

So you think we should have closed the economy down for SARS? Or H1N1 or bird flu? Novel virus is not the criteria, nor is there any absolutes.
    International flights from any region with cases when SARS 1 was going round ?
    Yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    They are not and anyway the US has most Covid deaths and Belgium most deaths per head, not the UK
    Agree with that. The spectacle of Trump dwarfs anything else. UK just an unremarkable side-show by comparison. Ridiculous headline.
  • Options

The north are two weeks behind London

What on earth does that mean. The entire country is under the same conditions, there is no "behind or ahead" internally with this virus.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

A veritable feast:

General election on BBC:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1258290364831629312

30 May for the diary. My memory of 1997 was finally knowing what multiple orgasm felt like.
    I know this might be an unfashionable view, but I think you might be in for another one at the next election. Starmer has 4 years to show his professionalism and Johnson has 4 years to show his rank amateurism, which the public will become increasingly tired of. I don't particularly want a Labour government, but the Tory party needs a very large dose of disinfectant, as does the Republican Party in the US.
    Starmer is no Blair, when Blair took over in 1994 he had a double digit lead, Starmer is over 10 points behind. Even John Smith was ahead when he took over in 1992.

At best he will scrape in with the LDs, he will not get a majority for Labour
    Scotland is a big problem for Labour. However, four years of Starmer appearing as Rumpole of the Bailey and Boris appearing like Bertie Wooster could change that.
    Scotland voting SNP but also being in the UK has it all ways, so it will take an earthquake to undo. Besides, lots of people who would vote for Starmer won't vote for the party as long as it is full of dim extremists.

Big issues on that will come to a head soon, next election at latest is SNP's last chance, if they do not make it about independence and tell Boris where to stuff his NO then there will be carnage.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,251
    Scott_xP said:
    When he announces nothing of the sort I wonder what their front pages will be on Monday?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Oh yeah, that's a decent point, but I didn't get that far, and it's got nothing to do with the main issue. But on the first bit, I think he's entirely wrong: it's much more sensible for the papers to focus on the judgment of one of the Government's lead advisors than to obsess over round numbers and inappropriate international comparisons. Albeit that they may be doing it for the wrong reasons.
    So "100k" (aka 83k) tests on a particular day merits an orgy of positive coverage but going top of the league table on deaths on a particular day merits but a shrug? This sounds to me like highly selective "obsessing over round numbers".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

International flights from any region with cases when SARS 1 was going round ?
    Yes.
    We live in a globalised world. The damage that would cause would outweigh the benefits by an order of magnitude.

Plus what do we do with the potentially millions of Britons abroad?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

A veritable feast:

General election on BBC:

30 May for the diary. My memory of 1997 was finally knowing what multiple orgasm felt like.
    I know this might be an unfashionable view, but I think you might be in for another one at the next election. Starmer has 4 years to show his professionalism and Johnson has 4 years to show his rank amateurism, which the public will become increasingly tired of. I don't particularly want a Labour government, but the Tory party needs a very large dose of disinfectant, as does the Republican Party in the US.
    Starmer is no Blair, when Blair took over in 1994 he had a double digit lead, Starmer is over 10 points behind. Even John Smith was ahead when he took over in 1992.

Scotland is a big problem for Labour. However, four years of Starmer appearing as Rumpole of the Bailey and Boris appearing like Bertie Wooster could change that.
    Scotland voting SNP but also being in the UK has it all ways, so it will take an earthquake to undo. Besides, lots of people who would vote for Starmer won't vote for the party as long as it is full of dim extremists.

Big issues on that will come to a head soon, next election at latest is SNP's last chance, if they do not make it about independence and tell Boris where to stuff his NO then there will be carnage.
    Not looking good for you Malc then, as Sturgeon is dithering even more than May did
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

If bird flu ever mutates to become easily transmittable between humans without a reduction in its mortality rate the lockdown that ensues will make the current one look like a combination of Cheltenham, Glastonbury and the Olympics combined.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    No the world is looking at their own countries and thinking what to do next. The UK has a very weird narcissistic view of itself, the rest of the world dont spend 70% of time on their own country, 20% thinking about us and 10% thinking about the rest of the world.

If people are looking at other countries they are probably looking at US, China, South Korea and Germany for very different reasons.
    The Times really hasn't moved on from the Fog in Channel days, has it?
    This is one of these one-way valves, where it’s fine for the Prime Minister preposterously to claim that “there will be many people looking now at our apparent success”.
    All countries should be trying to learn from other countries successes and failures. We learned the consequences of a collapsing health service from Italy and reacted accordingly. We didn't learn from the devastation of care homes in both Spain and Italy. I think its also legitimate for countries to take some pride in their own achievements, whether that is the ventilator machines built by F1 here or the remarkable successes of SK and Germany. But the idea of British exceptionalism and that others look to us especially for guidance is ridiculous, whoever it comes from.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    I wonder how many readers of the Sun will have the impression that the rules have been relaxed already.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

Yet to see you ever post anything that was not ra ra ra for Boris and government, you are unable to look at it with an open mind as you are so in thrall to the current Tory government and Boris Johnson in particular.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    When he announces nothing of the sort I wonder what their front pages will be on Monday?
    That'd require Boris to go against a compliant press
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What on earth does that mean. The entire country is under the same conditions, there is no "behind or ahead" internally with this virus.
    Yes there is.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Indeed. We knew that viruses spread exponentially. We knew that the Chinese had gone to extreme lengths to contain it. We knew that it was spreading rapidly in Italy. And yet Boris still dithered. It's absolutely unforgivable.
    Timing was everything - this virus will still be with us in a years time. The only thing that matters is that the NHS is never overloaded as that leads to serious deaths.

I suspect when we look back at things in 2-4 years time the real disastrous decisions haven't been made yet.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Fair enough.

I don’t always read all the threads so missed your argument with @HYUFD on this.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    Pulpstar said:

In terms of where we are on the curve. There are now fewer people in hospital with Covid in London than the North West.
  • Options
    @nichomar
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery
  • Options

I wonder how many readers of the Sun will have the impression that the rules have been relaxed already.

In a way they have. "Exercise once a day only" only existed in Michael Gove's head. "You can now go out more than once a day!" will be a marvellous loosening considering that you could always do so.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I’m back suffice to say diarrhea and chemo still in hospital so won’t bore everybody

Best wishes. Hope you're back on that terrace soon :smile:
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Spot on. He's pissed off that the entire media aren't a bunch of extreme leftist partisans in his own mould.

Because that would be, like, freedom, or something...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Thanks for the good wishes. It’s striking how nothing has changed on here in two and a half weeks. I might one day feel up to writing about being behind the covid front line while not a sufferer.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

You are being ridiculously partisan.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

She broke the law by travelling across London without a reasonable excuse
    While you're not supposed to have friends round either, I think the regulations are framed such that it is the person going out who is breaking them, and the police have no right to investigate on private premises.
    Not sure why, in this day and age, she should be protected. Get involved with a public figure, in a manner that effects their job - you will be publicised, at some point.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

That is not a team. It is a position on the political spectrum. One can claim that a member of a political party is in a team, but not someone who simply has a consistent political point of view.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

Mr. Pulpstar, inclined to agree.

Should've locked down sooner, letting Cheltenham go ahead was a mistake (and many said so at the time).

Do think individual responsibility isn't contracted out to the state, though. Nobody forced people to attend, just as those who've decided to flout the lockdown now are doing so of their own volition.

Letting Cheltenham go ahead is not really a separate issue from the timing of lockdown.

If you were going to stop Cheltenham (60k or so), you'd definitely want to have stopped people using the tube (5m or so).

In any case, at that point there was an acceptance that most people were going to get this. If you are going to have to lockdown to 'flatten the curve', you probably want at least some cases outside of London or a one size fits all policy becomes difficult. I wonder if the same logic applied to Liverpool?

Now we've apparently pivoted to suppression, it does look like the wrong decision, but only in the context of the new policy.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    stodge said:

I too am supportive. The fact that the NHS has held up under the strain is a massive plus for the government.

However, if people are dying unnecessarily because of government errors regarding PPE, testing and timing the lockdown to perfection, all need calling out and reviewing to see if and why things did or did not go wrong.

P Tories are bemoaning criticism as partisan, yet when the government wilfully massaged the testing figures, it was a case that Matt had stuck one on the hapless Starmer. Boris, too, yesterday with one eye on his popularity trumped Starmer's excellent PMQ performance by hinting at an end to lockdown. Loads of stupid games are being played by all sides at a time when they shouldn't.

And don't get me started on Hancock slapping down Allin Khan

This is the bearpit where politically interested people gather to talk politics. Democracy hasn't been suspended and neither have comment, opinion, analysis and scrutiny.

I also accept it was initially a fast developing situation and I will accept genuine mistakes made in the heat of the moment - avoidable with hindsight maybe but that's often the case.

If we had a non-Conservative Government in power now, it would have its defenders and its detractors - that's the nature of the political beast.

Agreed. Winning a GE just before the biggest catastrophe the modern world has witnessed would be a poisoned chalice for any government.

I can accept many of the errors as necessary judgement calls that with a little more time might have been called differently. It is the one upmanship I can't abide, and when it goes wrong, lies and subterfuge are used to cover up a genuine error. That probably works both ways, however Hancock's devilish state at Starmer during PMQs suggests he is taking it personally and doesn't like it. That could be seen as sinister, although it could also be that he knows he is the fall guy for the after-Covid political post mortem.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Well, part of the problem with story-by-chewing-up-press-releases is that you are still writing a story based on the press release. However much you chew. Hence the New Labour realisation of press control - simply embed some nice chewy stories in the press releases and the press will play good dog.
    I'm reading the Campbell diaries atm. Seems so long ago now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Up to your usual Scottish lack of knowledge. Miliband had nothing to do with other than being the dupe to follow tweedledee and tweedledum. Their supporting the Tories against the interests of Scotland was what did for them. They have no chance of any return until they realise that they are supposed to be a Scottish party and support independence, plus change almost every donkey they currently have as MSP's.
    If people want independence they will vote SNP or a new Nat party, if Scottish Labour backed independence it would just lose its Unionist vote
    Starmer trying to square the circle with talk of "federalism", whatever that means.

He's not cut through yet but it will be interesting to see if he has any impact on SLABs fortunes. Miliband and Corbyn were almost purpose-built to repel Scottish voters, but a serious politician like Sir Keir may appeal to that grain of old-style moral purpose that you find with some strains of progressive opinion, if Indy ever goes off the boil. However, wouldn't hang my hat on it, certainly so long as SLAB are lumbered with Richard Leonard.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    malcolmg said:

@nichomar
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery

How's Mrs M doing these days, Malc? Progressing, I hope.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

In terms of where we are on the curve. There are now fewer people in hospital with Covid in London than the North West.
    Hmm that's potentially possible if the most susceptible have actively got the virus ahead of the general population or there's a colossal iceberg (So London is close to herd immunity).
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

So "100k" (aka 83k) tests on a particular day merits an orgy of positive coverage but going top of the league table on deaths on a particular day merits but a shrug? This sounds to me like highly selective "obsessing over round numbers".
    Fairly sure I never said that about the testing? I'm happy to agree that the focus on the testing numbers was ludicrous. Hancock and his team deserve some credit for hitting a target that looked almost impossible a few weeks before, but that's about it.
  • Options

In a way they have. "Exercise once a day only" only existed in Michael Gove's head. "You can now go out more than once a day!" will be a marvellous loosening considering that you could always do so.
    Exercising once a day was literally in the rules Boris announced right at the start. https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-announces-coronavirus-lockdown-in-uk/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

I don't know what you are talking about David. Better Together was a colossus of a campaign, heroically reducing Scotland's natural 90% support for Indy down to a mere 45%. It is a blueprint for how all political campaigning should be performed.

No won with 55% of the vote in 2014, if it had ran as crap a campaign as Remain did in 2016 it would have lost
    I played a very active part in that campaign. It was awful. Darling could not really bring himself to say anything good about the UK because it was led by the Coalition. He was entirely negative in his approach, characterised by the SNP as the "too wee, too stupid" argument. They had a point. His performance in the debates against Salmond really scared me, I thought he had lost.

Only Ruth Davidson with a bit of Gordon Brown towards the end was British and genuinely proud of it. Only the good sense of the Scottish people saved the Union.
    The focus on Better Together and more devolution as well as the economic warnings was effective.

In contrast Remain had nothing but economic warnings with no real concessions from the EU.

David , you surely mean the lies about more devolution , and federation etc as well as the economic lies and scaremongering. Darling was a poor liar compared to Davidson and Brown
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

Generally I don’t write puff pieces praising governments. You can get that kind of stuff elsewhere if it floats your boat. I have generally assumed most come on here for something a little more demanding. You write them if you want.

Still I must be one of the few on here (let alone from the centre left social democrats - ha!) who has praised Priti Patel in a thread header. See here - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/30/reflections-part-one/.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Morning folks

its been a busy few days with work so not had much chance to even look at PB let alone post. But just wanted to say what a fantastic thread header Cyclefree wrote for the previous thread. Extremely well presented and informative.

PB at its best.

I agree. Just read it. Very good. As was Alastair's WW2 one.
    Thank you both.

I hope the government reads, understands and follows!
    We will see.

Did I detect just a touch of special pleading for your daughter in there? :smile:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    After weeks of sitting in sunny gardens, eating homemade cheese scones, Britain wakes up to the credit card bill :smiley:

https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/1258284755327606785
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

You are being ridiculously partisan.
    I think the word "being" was redundant.
  • Options

"readers" is a bit of an oxymoron for Sun buyers, if not in pictures they are lost.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

Well, part of the problem with story-by-chewing-up-press-releases is that you are still writing a story based on the press release. However much you chew. Hence the New Labour realisation of press control - simply embed some nice chewy stories in the press releases and the press will play good dog.
    On the topic of digging into stories, technicalities etc. WMDs and Iraq - what if someone had asked the question, that seemed obvious to me at the time, about the 45 minute thing...

"What is it that they can deploy, in 45 minutes?"

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

At a push I'd describe myself as a centre-left social democrat, but Cyclefree is nothing of the sort.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

A veritable feast:

General election on BBC:

Not looking good for you Malc then, as Sturgeon is dithering even more than May did
    She can be got rid of , she has one more chance.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

At a push I'd describe myself as a centre-left social democrat, but Cyclefree is nothing of the sort.
    She most certainly is, she is not a conservative, libertarian or socialist, she is a Roy Jenkins, Shirley Williams style social democrat
  • Options

After weeks of sitting in sunny gardens, eating homemade cheese scones, Britain wakes up to the credit card bill :smiley:

That's not the credit card bill, that's your newly reduced wage from which you still need to pay the same outgoings as you had prior to the "holiday".

The credit card bill is the nasty surprise that lands on your doormat a month after you return from said holiday, just after you've discovered pay day has been and gone and you have £100 left to pay for 3 weeks of food and petrol.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:
    That'd require Boris to go against a compliant press
    But he *isn't* announcing what they say. What the press are doing is announcing to the proles that they can basically sack this off and do what they like. Which they will. We're back to herd immunity for the desperate/don't care group and terrified lock down for the ill / vulnerable.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There is concern here in Cumbria that the peak has not yet been reached.

Exercising once a day was literally in the rules Boris announced right at the start. https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-announces-coronavirus-lockdown-in-uk/
    In the advice. Not in the rules.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    I was lucky that I managed through contacts to have had set up for my wife 24/7 care cover just as the sh.. hit three fan
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The infections did start earlier and higher in London , Scotland was weeks behind it for any meaningful infection levels.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

A veritable feast:

General election on BBC:

Scotland's in a curious place. SNP seem to be completely dominant, like ANC in S Africa. Nicola miles ahead personally.

And yet, Indy, their core policy, is becoming ever less plausible as time goes on and Brexit becomes entrenched. Covid-19 is a further hammer blow.

I think the view of many Scots is pragmatic. Happy to vote SNP as they seem competent and can extract best deal from Westminster. But sniffy about independence because of devastating economic cost.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Please lay off party politics.

Why? Do you think the tories would be uncritically supportive of Corbyn if he were fucking this up. (Which he almost certainly would.)

Johnson wanted to be PM. Well this is what being PM is. Being abused and having shit flung at you 24/7 so fuck him right in his fat twat.
    I wonder where in nature one finds beings whose natural inclination is to throw shit? I can't imagine.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2020
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Timing was everything - this virus will still be with us in a years time. The only thing that matters is that the NHS is never overloaded as that leads to serious deaths.

I suspect when we look back at things in 2-4 years time the real disastrous decisions haven't been made yet.
    It looks like we avoided overloading the NHS partly by telling people to stay at home until it was too late to save them. This has also led to serious deaths.

Yes, the virus will still be with us in a year's time, but there is a good chance that we'll have learned to deal with it better by then. The initial disastrous decision was not to stamp on exponential growth at the start in order to give ourselves more time to determine strategy. This could well be compounded by additional disastrous decisions in the future, such as easing lockdown too soon and losing control of the spread again. We'll see.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

David , you surely mean the lies about more devolution , and federation etc as well as the economic lies and scaremongering. Darling was a poor liar compared to Davidson and Brown
    The Scotland Act 2016 gave Holyrood more powers
  • Options

As I said, only in their heads. The *actual* rules are the legal regulations: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made

No restriction on frequency of exercise, length of exercise, location of exercise. Just because as I put it "a gobshite cabinet minister" said it doesn't make it the rules. The rule of law is the rules. With the emphasis on law.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

Generally I don’t write puff pieces praising governments. You can get that kind of stuff elsewhere if it floats your boat. I have generally assumed most come on here for something a little more demanding. You write them if you want.

Still I must be one of the few on here (let alone from the centre left social democrats - ha!) who has praised Priti Patel in a thread header. See here - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/30/reflections-part-one/.
    Though even then your praise for Priti Patel was partly a tool for criticising Dominic Raab
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That is Andy Burnham's position to be fair
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Apparently I'm not getting a paper tax return and have to fill one in online.

Was this a change coming in anyway, or something that's been updated due to the pandemic?

The letter is dated 6 April but only arrived today.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Starmer trying to square the circle with talk of "federalism", whatever that means.

He's not cut through yet but it will be interesting to see if he has any impact on SLABs fortunes. Miliband and Corbyn were almost purpose-built to repel Scottish voters, but a serious politician like Sir Keir may appeal to that grain of old-style moral purpose that you find with some strains of progressive opinion, if Indy ever goes off the boil. However, wouldn't hang my hat on it, certainly so long as SLAB are lumbered with Richard Leonard.
    We had some interesting - and informative - chats on federalism here in 2013-4 in the runup to indyref 1. IIRC we generally agreed that short of bringing back the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy or some similar way of breaking up England, or giving the Scots (etc) an effective veto on what the English wanted, it was impossible to federalise the UK in any meaningful way. I've lost track of the number of SLAB pols and their UK equivalents who talk about Federalism as the solution but I've not seen one clear statement of how you would get those changes through. I'd say it is even less likely after Brexit.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

I've just followed up my covid test as it is now 6 days since I had it and the email said that in some circumstances it might take up to 5 days. It's easy to get through but some of the virtual call centre staff are very new and don't know what they're doing. The first was working her first shift and didn't know how to address the system to find out about tests that had previously taken place. The second said she needed my barcode number which is on a piece of paper you find in the test kit, so I scurried off to find it in the recycling. The third then used my personal data to raise a query without needing the barcode number! However she said it was taking up to 10 days in some cases as there is a backlog due to the number of tests sent out at the end of last week.

Anecdote comparison with the situation in Germany (Berlin). A friend had flu symptoms on Sunday and Monday. There was good reason for her to get tested before this weekend, so she went to have a test on Monday. She got the result in under 24 hours. Thankfully negative. She does not have any fast-track status such as working in a hospital.

Not getting test result within 5 days is just crazy, the whole "test as much as possible" strategy is undervalued by slow processing of results.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

There is concern here in Cumbria that the peak has not yet been reached.

In the advice. Not in the rules.
    Advice and rules is a distinction without a difference. Just like the government advising customers not to go to businesses. The government and media have said all along only exercise once a day outside - to the point that people are routinely joking about it - the fact that it was technically not illegal to exercise twice is moot.

People are quite rightly trying to follow the rules including the advice. If those change that's meaningful.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

A veritable feast:

General election on BBC:

Scotland's in a curious place. SNP seem to be completely dominant, like ANC in S Africa. Nicola miles ahead personally.

And yet, Indy, their core policy, is becoming ever less plausible as time goes on and Brexit becomes entrenched. Covid-19 is a further hammer blow.

I think the view of many Scots is pragmatic. Happy to vote SNP as they seem competent and can extract best deal from Westminster. But sniffy about independence because of devastating economic cost.
    Competent or just not as incompetent as the other parties who by any measure seem completely incompetent?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545

malcolmg said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

A veritable feast:

General election on BBC:

Agree. All politics is about travelling hopefully rather than arriving, so the SNP can carry this on for a long time yet, with some votes from most opinion groups.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

She most certainly is, she is not a conservative, libertarian or socialist, she is a Roy Jenkins, Shirley Williams style social democrat
    It's not an either/or.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    When celebrating VE Day tomorrow we might remember the second-worst consequence of WW2, after the Nazis and their unspeakable horrors, was the suffocating atmosphere of social conformity the British had to endure in order to defeat them. This was not finally dispelled until the 1960s, and even then we had a continuing culture clash between the young, who craved every sort of freedom, and their parents, who had built their sense of identity around the uniformity of wartime.

Some comments here have, correctly, mentioned the impossibility of relying on the police to enforce lockdown. But a greater danger lies in the social breakdown between conformists and libertarians fighting a war of attrition over every aspect of "social distancing" that they have chosen to enforce or reject. Particularly as this will cut across other deep divisions of age, class, race etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

Morning folks

its been a busy few days with work so not had much chance to even look at PB let alone post. But just wanted to say what a fantastic thread header Cyclefree wrote for the previous thread. Extremely well presented and informative.

PB at its best.

I agree. Just read it. Very good. As was Alastair's WW2 one.
    Thank you both.

I hope the government reads, understands and follows!
    We will see.

Did I detect just a touch of special pleading for your daughter in there? :smile:
    Yes. Unashamedly so. Watching her trying to build up and maintain the business and her concern for her employees and the effect this is having on her and others in her situation in this area has given me an insight I did not have before. At least not at such a visceral level. I am, frankly, desperately worried. If it is not viable - and I don’t see how it will be for a while yet - its closure will have a terrible effect on lots of people, directly and indirectly, and there are not many alternatives available.

And do not forget my sons either. Or me, come to that. My work is not really feasible if people cannot meet. The entire Cyclefree family could very soon be permanently unemployed unless we can get jobs with the NHS which will likely soon be the only employer left in the country.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Why? Do you think the tories would be uncritically supportive of Corbyn if he were fucking this up. (Which he almost certainly would.)

Johnson wanted to be PM. Well this is what being PM is. Being abused and having shit flung at you 24/7 so fuck him right in his fat twat.
    I wonder where in nature one finds beings whose natural inclination is to throw shit? I can't imagine.
    Just pass his comments by.. its a diatribe of nastiness.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    eek said:

That's not the credit card bill, that's your newly reduced wage from which you still need to pay the same outgoings as you had prior to the "holiday".

The credit card bill is the nasty surprise that lands on your doormat a month after you return from said holiday, just after you've discovered pay day has been and gone and you have £100 left to pay for 3 weeks of food and petrol.
    Bank of England actually pretty upbeat, saying we will make up the lost ground in 2 years. This implies they consider the effect almost entirely cyclical, which, if true, would be fantastic news.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Not sure if chimps do it in the wild (htrey famously do it in the zoo). But see this

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2003/03/frass-flies
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Moth du Jour: Hummingbird Hawkmoth. A migrant from Europe, they are a not infrequent visitor to our gardens.

I seem to remember a story that as the troops crossed the channel on D-Day there was a noticeable migration movement of these moths going the other way. Insect migration is much less noticeable than that of birds but equally fascinating.

Bird migration I can get my head round. Insect migration - not so much. The Painted Lady is remarkable: it marches north, with fast developing waves of eggs --> larvae --> adults and then when the weather starts to turn in the far north, it does the same heading south. Coastal radar stations record them in their millions both ways.

Some detail here: https://butterfly-conservation.org/news-and-blog/painted-lady-migration-secrets-revealed
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    Thinking of possible bunny rabbits that Johnson may have to pull out of his hat, I note that HMG are continuing to report test numbers from Pillar 4 - the high-quality population survey serology testing at Porton Down - but without saying anything about the results in terms of the overall prevalence of infection.

Perhaps he will get to announce that they've discovered infection has been much more widespread than thought, the fatality rate is consequently much lower and lockdown was, with the benefit of hindsight, a mistake.

Probably shouldn't get my hopes up, but I can only suppress my optimism for so long.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That is simply not true.

You don’t speak for me.

And don’t understand me either.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

On the topic of digging into stories, technicalities etc. WMDs and Iraq - what if someone had asked the question, that seemed obvious to me at the time, about the 45 minute thing...

"What is it that they can deploy, in 45 minutes?"

My vague recollection is that it was something to do with the flight time of a missile from Iraq to our sovereign bases on Cyprus. It really is astonishing that Alastair Campbell did not go to jail for the dodgy dossier. Even more astonishing than the idea that anyone should listen to a word he has said since.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

eek said:

Bank of England actually pretty upbeat, saying we will make up the lost ground in 2 years. This implies they consider the effect almost entirely cyclical, which, if true, would be fantastic news.
    That does seem rather optimistic. I suspect many sectors will take a long time to recover.
  • Options

stodge said:

I too am supportive. The fact that the NHS has held up under the strain is a massive plus for the government.

However, if people are dying unnecessarily because of government errors regarding PPE, testing and timing the lockdown to perfection, all need calling out and reviewing to see if and why things did or did not go wrong.

P Tories are bemoaning criticism as partisan, yet when the government wilfully massaged the testing figures, it was a case that Matt had stuck one on the hapless Starmer. Boris, too, yesterday with one eye on his popularity trumped Starmer's excellent PMQ performance by hinting at an end to lockdown. Loads of stupid games are being played by all sides at a time when they shouldn't.

And don't get me started on Hancock slapping down Allin Khan

This is the bearpit where politically interested people gather to talk politics. Democracy hasn't been suspended and neither have comment, opinion, analysis and scrutiny.

I also accept it was initially a fast developing situation and I will accept genuine mistakes made in the heat of the moment - avoidable with hindsight maybe but that's often the case.

If we had a non-Conservative Government in power now, it would have its defenders and its detractors - that's the nature of the political beast.

Agreed. Winning a GE just before the biggest catastrophe the modern world has witnessed would be a poisoned chalice for any government.

I can accept many of the errors as necessary judgement calls that with a little more time might have been called differently. It is the one upmanship I can't abide, and when it goes wrong, lies and subterfuge are used to cover up a genuine error. That probably works both ways, however Hancock's devilish state at Starmer during PMQs suggests he is taking it personally and doesn't like it. That could be seen as sinister, although it could also be that he knows he is the fall guy for the after-Covid political post mortem.
    Hancock has the most unenviable job in government
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Apparently I'm not getting a paper tax return and have to fill one in online.

Was this a change coming in anyway, or something that's been updated due to the pandemic?

The letter is dated 6 April but only arrived today.

It's planned (there are exceptions for those who can't file online)
This discussion has been closed.