Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » COVID-19: It’s Not Your Fault

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

On topic, it’s possible that Covid-19 is manmade. It’s even possible that it was deliberately released. The evidence for such serious claims, however, is thin. Western governments have sexed up evidence for political purposes before and the time when they can be trusted to be essentially honest is long past, if it ever existed.

yes the CCP should not be scrutinised
    I’m rereading what I wrote and wondering how on earth you extracted that from my words. Since I don’t believe any such thing, and have avoided visiting China to date in part because I so strongly disapprove of that regime, I can only deduce that it comes from within the reader than from the written words.
    I visited China back in 2002. Had a very short lived but acute sickness when I entered Australia (Having been through Thailand). Never thought much of it, but looking back at the timeline of SARS 1 recently has me thinking ^^;
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Pulpstar, I was in China a year earlier. Whereabouts were you?

I visited mostly Shanghai and Beijing.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,141

Here's the thing, you see. Michael Gove has probably done more for Holocaust education and the Jewish community in Britain than any senior politician other than Gordon Brown. It's obvious to anyone why he would have read the work of a Holocaust denier.

Owen Jones, on the other hand, was an actual cheerleader for Jeremy Corbyn - a man described by one of his own MPs as a "racist antisemite". If Jones had his way, that same Jeremy Corbyn would be in Number Ten right now.

Twitter can be annoying, infuriating and sometimes plain pointless. But sometimes it can reveal truths. And in one stupid tweet last night, Owen Jones confirmed a truth about himself and his fellow hard left travellers: that their true ideology is hypocrisy.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/one-stupid-tweet-by-owen-jones-confirms-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-hard-left-1.499433

Who said anything about reading them? Displaying them on your bookshelf is a different thing.

I think I have a video of Triumph of The Will kicking about in a trunk somewhere. The humiliation of having a shelf full of videotapes aside, I wouldn't be sticking it in a bookcase anytime. One of my favourite books is Memoirs of an Anti-Semite; in the unlikely event of me appearing on Zoom in front of my books, I'd think hard about displaying that due to the possibility of misinterpretation by the dumbasses that infest the world.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    glw said:

More than 10 times as many people in Germany have likely been infected with the coronavirus than the number of confirmed cases, researchers from the University of Bonn have concluded from a field trial in one of the worst hit towns.

That's quite some iceberg!
    It's not really, it's in line with the data from New York. They also seem to have roughly 10 undetected cases for every detected case. My hunch is that the UK will prove to be about the same level.

The idea that there is a vast asymptomatic iceberg which means we can go back to normal without a huge number of deaths is increasingly implausible. Even for Germany these current figures give an IFR around 0.4%. Let the virus run through the population and a hell of a lot of Germans would die.

You would need the undetected cases to be something like 100 x the current known cases for that idea to have any merit. i.e. To get to a bad seasonal flu type of scenario.

There are simply far to many people who could still catch the virus and die to do anything other than maintain quite strict measures.
    Agreed. Let's put it this way, so far the US has had just short of 70,000 confirmed CV deaths, which in just three months is roughly equivalent to the expected total 'flu deaths in a "bad" 'flu season year. Plus the CDC estimate of excess deaths from expected that are most likely to be attributable to COVID is another 30-40,000. It looks like NYC is showing an antibody rate of about 20% infected, so if we were to let it run unchecked, we'd probably be in the 400,000 deaths range, assuming that the whole country is currently at 20% infected which it clearly isn't.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

isam said:
    6th-8th March looks very significant - from 3 to pretty much 1.

What happened there?
    This graph seems to show that lockdown has not made much difference
    Assuming that the graph is accurate in portraying those impacts, lockdown could still have saved countless lives.

If the infection period is deemed to last about a week, then if R had stayed at 0.9 the number of new cases at the end of 8 weeks would still be about 43% of the level at the start. By contrast if R were consistently 0.7 it means that new cases would be reduced to about 6% of the original level. R was 0.9 when lockdown started and has declined to about 0.7 since then, although the decline has been gradual not immediate.

Well there are 2 other factors that will have contribution to R falling gradually over the long term.

1) Some people have now had the desise and therefor wont get it again, this is the start of the heard effect,

2) The weather has been getting warmer, we don't know how big an impact this will have had, as I understand it most of this family of viruses are to some extent weather transmition affected, so this viruses may also be.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    BigRich said:

isam said:

What happened there?
    Assuming that the graph is accurate in portraying those impacts, lockdown could still have saved countless lives.

If the infection period is deemed to last about a week, then if R had stayed at 0.9 the number of new cases at the end of 8 weeks would still be about 43% of the level at the start. By contrast if R were consistently 0.7 it means that new cases would be reduced to about 6% of the original level. R was 0.9 when lockdown started and has declined to about 0.7 since then, although the decline has been gradual not immediate.

Well there are 2 other factors that will have contribution to R falling gradually over the long term.

1) Some people have now had the desise and therefor wont get it again, this is the start of the heard effect,

2) The weather has been getting warmer, we don't know how big an impact this will have had, as I understand it most of this family of viruses are to some extent weather transmition affected, so this viruses may also be.
    I thought heat having a positive impact was debunked? That the virus could live on through temperatures well past those of a good old-fashioned English spring/summer.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
  • Options
    isam said:
    The big mistake this makes is to think that the only behavioural change in early March was that people started washing their hands. In fact, the level of concern was such that people had substantially reduced social contact well before lockdown.

Public transport, pubs and restaurants were much quieter - I'm looking back at texts now, including one on 8th March where a friend notes that the usually busy curry house he's in is empty.

What it may suggest is that the measures needed to keep the transmission rate below 1 might be less than feared (noting anything even slightly above 1 means exponential growth, but anything even slightly below means gradual decline in new infections). However, it certainly does not mean all we need to do is wash our hands, as that is NOT all we were doing in early March.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,141
    Floater said:

I'm no fan of Trump but

Waahey, haven't had one of them for a while. Look forward to its return as we get closer to the big day.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Is a former two terms president ineligible to be elected to Congress?

No. Only VP needs to be eligible to become President (I think).
    So Obama can still become president again then.
    Nope. Even if he got into the order of succession by reason of being elected to Congress, he would be eliminated from the said order of succession by his being elected president twice.
    Surely that cannot count as being elected president?
    Becoming President doesn't require election, it does require eligibility.
    But the 22nd only prohibits being elected president.
    You're right.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    edited May 2020
    FF43 said:

One further point about the Wuhan lab conspiracy is that epidemiology suggests the epidemic didn't necessarily originate in Hubei province. The only connection to the lab is the circumstantial evidence that the lab is very close to the meat market where the Chinese government originally said the outbreak originated. We now know for sure that the epidemic started a month or so earlier than the Wuhan market outbreak, making the lab connection moot.

There is some evidence that the epidemic may have started further south in China. See https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/could-covid-19-be-manmade-what-we-know-about-origins-trump-chinese-lab-coronavirus

To be clear there are plausible scenarios for the Wuhan lab accidentally releasing the virus into the neighbourhood. Thing is, they are all starting from the conclusion and working back to the justification when there are plenty of other explanations that are at least as plausible. Point is, this doesn't work for the US Administration. They need a conspiracy. Just saying something bad happened in China but we don't know what, lacks the necessary specificity.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292
    edited May 2020

BigRich said:

isam said:

What happened there?

I thought heat having a positive impact was debunked? That the virus could live on through temperatures well past those of a good old-fashioned English spring/summer.
    Its survival time on surfaces is affected by the heat (more strictly the sbsolute humidity). The question is how much of the transmission is via this route.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Went Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong, Xi'an (Horrendously polluted), Chengdu

Here's me in Yangshuo :smile:

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think the English NHS hospital death figures are going to hold at around 250 per day and then start to drop.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

isam said:
    The big mistake this makes is to think that the only behavioural change in early March was that people started washing their hands. In fact, the level of concern was such that people had substantially reduced social contact well before lockdown.

Public transport, pubs and restaurants were much quieter - I'm looking back at texts now, including one on 8th March where a friend notes that the usually busy curry house he's in is empty.

What it may suggest is that the measures needed to keep the transmission rate below 1 might be less than feared (noting anything even slightly above 1 means exponential growth, but anything even slightly below means gradual decline in new infections). However, it certainly does not mean all we need to do is wash our hands, as that is NOT all we were doing in early March.
    Public transport was still packed, football was still on.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,444
    MaxPB said:

I think the English NHS hospital death figures are going to hold at around 250 per day and then start to drop.

The 7 day trend line is very linear at the moment.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Pulpstar, ah, better travelled than me then. I thought the air pollution in Shanghai was bad enough.

Got up to 40C when I was there, which was rather toasty.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,692
    edited May 2020
    Pulpstar said:

I thought this was Paul Joseph Watson at first.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Surprising not to see any comment on this German study, based on a combination of antigen and antibody testing, estimating the Infection Fatality Rate at just 0.36%:
    https://www.ukbonn.de/C12582D3002FD21D/vwLookupDownloads/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf/$FILE/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf

Obviously that is rather smaller than some estimates. In a UK context it would imply an infection rate of nearly 12% based on the official figure for deaths alone, and would probably suggest that at least a quarter of the population will have been infected by the end of the first wave.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

isam said:

What happened there?
    I'd want to know the methodology behind this chart before coming to that conclusion.
    The caption says it was calculated from "NHS England hospital deaths data." How in f*ck's name do they think they could calculate all that intricate up-and-down of Rt before 8 March, when the first death was reported on 7 March and the second on 8 March?

Pure unadulterated bullshit.
    Method: NHS England #covid deaths data, backdating 23 days from deaths (5 days infection => symptoms + 18 days symptoms => death), and assuming a serial interval of 5 days.

Rock solid methodology definitely not designed to produce the outcome he wanted.
    "Rock solid methodology" is a joke, surely?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,236
    edited May 2020

FPT

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

"Boris" Johnson never fooled anyone. Priti Patel is a "social liberal".

These are fabulous. But don't go thinking you can never top them. That way lies decline.

I never said Patel is a social liberal I said she is more liberal than people give her credit for.
    I see. She is "more liberal than people give her credit for" albeit not a "social liberal". But is she still a social conservative? Most certainly think so. Both supporters and opponents alike think that. However it sounds like you think she is less conservative socially than people give her credit for. Is she fooling that base again, I wonder.
    No its not about fooling, its not all or nothing.

I think Patel is a lot more liberal than David Cameron's Home Secretary was. She has been liberalising non-EU migration in a few areas and I can't see Patel sending "Go Home" vans into minority communities.

Do you disagree with that?
    I think both Priti Patel and Theresa May are socially conservative. Boris Johnson, to the extent he has political convictions, is socially liberal. Thus in this regard Patel and May are more in touch with the Tory base and the Hard Brexit base than Johnson is. Patel is therefore fooling you but not the base. Johnson is fooling the base but not you. And neither of them, nor you, are fooling me.
    Patel's not fooling me. Home Secretary tends to (regardless of party) go to a social conservative, its part of the role that social liberals rarely become Home Secretary.

I think Patel is a marked improvement on Theresa May from Cameron's days and anything is a marked improvement on May's days so I think this government is, even with Patel, an improvement there. I'd rather not go back to the vile nonsense of sending Go Home vans into ethnic minority communities - May should have been sacked after that and should never have been party leader.
    We can certainly agree that the "Hostile Environment" was ghastly. But we were not really discussing that.

Would you like to hear my diagnosis of why you so often - at least when talking to me - end up having to deny the undeniable or trying to alter the point at issue?

You would? OK. It is quite simple. You make great play of being a "social liberal" and I think this is sincere. But few who are genuinely of that ilk are enthusiasts for Brexit. Brexit is not driven by that tradition. So to avoid this uncomfortable truth what you do is get into all sorts of contortions attempting to redefine the Brexit project as being animated by the spirit of social liberalism. Or at least as being fully compatible with it. A tough gig.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Chris said:

Surprising not to see any comment on this German study, based on a combination of antigen and antibody testing, estimating the Infection Fatality Rate at just 0.36%:
    https://www.ukbonn.de/C12582D3002FD21D/vwLookupDownloads/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf/$FILE/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf

Obviously that is rather smaller than some estimates. In a UK context it would imply an infection rate of nearly 12% based on the official figure for deaths alone, and would probably suggest that at least a quarter of the population will have been infected by the end of the first wave.

Erhhh..its been commented on both on this thread and the previous.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,013
    I have wondered if social distancing contributes to lessening the severity of infection and not just numbers. It has been suggested that viral load (probably a technical term I'm using incorrectly) has a bearing on how well your immune system responds. A couple of viral particles and your immune system has time to ramp up. Lots, and it's quickly overwhelmed. So health care workers may be comparatively badly affected as they are in an environment where there is a lot of the virus present. Under social distancing if you catch it, it is likely to be from a fleeting encounter, rather than sitting in a meeting room or a pub with loads of others for several hours
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    MaxPB said:

They are currently reducing by 25-30% per week
  • Options
    So whats the over / under line on number of tests in todays numbers....i reckon going to be sub 75k. Still more than 50k?

Its Hancock up today, so sure he is going to get incoming about missing the target.
  • Options

Chris said:

Erhhh..its been commented on both on this thread and the previous.
    So sorry. I had assumed the comments would have quoted the IFR, but they didn't, so my searches didn't find them.
  • Options

I have wondered if social distancing contributes to lessening the severity of infection and not just numbers. It has been suggested that viral load (probably a technical term I'm using incorrectly) has a bearing on how well your immune system responds. A couple of viral particles and your immune system has time to ramp up. Lots, and it's quickly overwhelmed. So health care workers may be comparatively badly affected as they are in an environment where there is a lot of the virus present. Under social distancing if you catch it, it is likely to be from a fleeting encounter, rather than sitting in a meeting room or a pub with loads of others for several hours

I am intrigued where this 15 mins thing came from. The 1-2m rule has some vague basis in the science of large droplet transmission.

But not heard anybody explain where the idea of being in somebodies company for under 15 minutes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Chris said:

Even if that (i.e. 0.36%) were true, it wouldn't necessarily imply 12% of the UK population had had it, as the figures will skewed by who catches the disease. Lots of care home residents with CV-19 means lots of deaths, means you can't just scale up.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,692
    edited May 2020
    O/T

Talking of circumstantial evidence: Gordon Park's conviction upheld.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/r-v-park-judgment-010520.pdf
  • Options
    I believe the German study sampled from a region known to be hard hit. So again, difficult to blanket scale up nationwide.
  • Options

I am intrigued where this 15 mins thing came from. The 1-2m rule has some vague basis in the science of large droplet transmission.

But not heard anybody explain where the idea of being in somebodies company for under 15 minutes.
    I haven't heard it since the earliest days of the outbreak. I think it was borne out to be complete cobblers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Here's the thing, you see. Michael Gove has probably done more for Holocaust education and the Jewish community in Britain than any senior politician other than Gordon Brown. It's obvious to anyone why he would have read the work of a Holocaust denier.

Owen Jones, on the other hand, was an actual cheerleader for Jeremy Corbyn - a man described by one of his own MPs as a "racist antisemite". If Jones had his way, that same Jeremy Corbyn would be in Number Ten right now.

Twitter can be annoying, infuriating and sometimes plain pointless. But sometimes it can reveal truths. And in one stupid tweet last night, Owen Jones confirmed a truth about himself and his fellow hard left travellers: that their true ideology is hypocrisy.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/one-stupid-tweet-by-owen-jones-confirms-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-hard-left-1.499433

Who said anything about reading them? Displaying them on your bookshelf is a different thing.

I think I have a video of Triumph of The Will kicking about in a trunk somewhere. The humiliation of having a shelf full of videotapes aside, I wouldn't be sticking it in a bookcase anytime. One of my favourite books is Memoirs of an Anti-Semite; in the unlikely event of me appearing on Zoom in front of my books, I'd think hard about displaying that due to the possibility of misinterpretation by the dumbasses that infest the world.
    Seriously? Even if there is indeed a risk of misinterpretation by dumbasses in that situation, the dumbassery is still on those misinterpreting it (particularly when motivated by partisan dislike and without any rational reason for assuming endorsement) and so any carelessness on the part of the displayer is pretty irrelevant.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    Alistair said:

isam said:
    "Method: NHS England #covid deaths data, backdating 23 days from deaths (5 days infection => symptoms + 18 days symptoms => death), and assuming a serial interval of 5 days."

Tweak those parameters even a tiny bit and you get Rt going under 1 coinciding with Lockdown instead of hand washing.
    Ah yes. I remember this guy saying cumulative is the way to go but I don't see him using that in this chart when the trend is down rather than up. Apart from anything else an average of 23 days from infection to death seems generous if we are trying to pinpoint a policy change.

https://twitter.com/AlistairHaimes/status/1249987166802976770

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,007
    Pulpstar said:

/>
    You're right about Xi'an. Fascinating, but I thought Beijing was badly polluted, until we went to Xi'an. We were there 2009.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Why? They seem to be dropping quite consistently (albeit day of the week effect will see an increase tomorrow).
  • Options

I believe the German study sampled from a region known to be hard hit. So again, difficult to blanket scale up nationwide.

If you follow the link I posted, you'll see this in the abstract:
    "While the number of infections in this high prevalence community is not representative for other parts of the world, the IFR calculated on the basis of the infection ratein this community can be utilizedto estimate the percentage of infected based onthe number of reported fatalities in other placeswith similar population characteristics."
  • Options
    Being fat is bad news with regards to CV

Obesity in patients younger than 60 years is a risk factor for Covid-19 hospital admission

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa415/5818333
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    I lived in Shanghai for one year - fantastic place.
    I visted Beijing - Forbidden City and Great Wall are...Great. But otherwise not up to much.
    I also visited Tianjing - filthy;
    Qingdao - great beer but otherwise - meh
    Jiangsu, QiDong nothing to report.
    Shandong area is interesting
    Guangshou ok

• Options
    davidcdavidc Posts: 13
    edited May 2020
    Corona virus seems to be becoming a catch all excuse for all kinds of things.

"Yeah, but Corona" seems to be the new get out of jail free card.
  • Options

So whats the over / under line on number of tests in todays numbers....i reckon going to be sub 75k. Still more than 50k?

Its Hancock up today, so sure he is going to get incoming about missing the target.

These numbers reflect Sunday. Expect it to be ~70k but then back well above 100k tomorrow to reflect today.

Its never going to be the same on the weekend as during the week.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Why? They seem to be dropping quite consistently (albeit day of the week effect will see an increase tomorrow).
    They will tail off at some point - and other countries have seen the numbers fall to a level and remain stubbornly at that level for a while.

But we are not seeing that yet.
  • Options

I haven't heard it since the earliest days of the outbreak. I think it was borne out to be complete cobblers.
    Its mentioned in the draft government advice for businesses to get back to work.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Even if that (i.e. 0.36%) were true, it wouldn't necessarily imply 12% of the UK population had had it, as the figures will skewed by who catches the disease. Lots of care home residents with CV-19 means lots of deaths, means you can't just scale up.
    Other things being equal, that's what it would suggest.

Rather than your conclusion of 0.5-0.8% IFR, presumably based on not having looked at the paper at all!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited May 2020

isam said:

What you are saying is then is that Britons beat corona by themselves and the government's heavy handed lockdown was not really necessary.

With a much less authoritarian approach Britons might have 'locked down' in far more sensible and flexible ways than the teenagers in our government have designed, and they would be de-locking in the same way right now.

As it is, they will be left with an economy far more shattered than it needed to be and a debt mountain we will be paying off for the rest of our lives.

Why? largely because the cowards and children that run our country were terrified of upsetting an intellectually challenged media the country has deserted in droves.
  • Options

isam said:

Public transport was still packed, football was still on.
    Sure.

But that doesn't change the point.

If 50% of transmissions were at football matches, and 50% in bars and restaurants, then you would see a 50% drop in the infection rate from people not going to bars and restaurants, even if they still went to football games.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    HYUFD said:
    I’m definitely a Palpatine man. Even at his most operatically villainous he clearly got sh*t done compared to others, and had a blast doing it.

• Options
    Germany already starting to get vending machines for masks are train stations.

I can see the shit show here in 2-3 months time when you can't get any.l, let alone from a vending machine.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Do we know for certain that masks are effective, and if so, how effective?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

These are fabulous. But don't go thinking you can never top them. That way lies decline.

I never said Patel is a social liberal I said she is more liberal than people give her credit for.
    I see. She is "more liberal than people give her credit for" albeit not a "social liberal". But is she still a social conservative? Most certainly think so. Both supporters and opponents alike think that. However it sounds like you think she is less conservative socially than people give her credit for. Is she fooling that base again, I wonder.

I think Patel is a lot more liberal than David Cameron's Home Secretary was. She has been liberalising non-EU migration in a few areas and I can't see Patel sending "Go Home" vans into minority communities.

I think both Priti Patel and Theresa May are socially conservative. Boris Johnson, to the extent he has political convictions, is socially liberal. Thus in this regard Patel and May are more in touch with the Tory base and the Hard Brexit base than Johnson is. Patel is therefore fooling you but not the base. Johnson is fooling the base but not you. And neither of them, nor you, are fooling me.
    Patel's not fooling me. Home Secretary tends to (regardless of party) go to a social conservative, its part of the role that social liberals rarely become Home Secretary.

I think Patel is a marked improvement on Theresa May from Cameron's days and anything is a marked improvement on May's days so I think this government is, even with Patel, an improvement there. I'd rather not go back to the vile nonsense of sending Go Home vans into ethnic minority communities - May should have been sacked after that and should never have been party leader.
    We can certainly agree that the "Hostile Environment" was ghastly. But we were not really discussing that.

Would you like to hear my diagnosis of why you so often - at least when talking to me - end up having to deny the undeniable or trying to alter the point at issue?

You would? OK. It is quite simple. You make great play of being a "social liberal" and I think this is sincere. But few who are genuinely of that ilk are enthusiasts for Brexit. Brexit is not driven by that tradition. So to avoid this uncomfortable truth what you do is get into all sorts of contortions attempting to redefine the Brexit project as being animated by the spirit of social liberalism. Or at least as being fully compatible with it. A tough gig.
    Brexit's not driven by liberalism I never claimed it was. Brexit is a big tent that isn't on a liberal or conservative axis.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

MaxPB said:

They will tail off at some point - and other countries have seen the numbers fall to a level and remain stubbornly at that level for a while.

Yes we are.

https://twitter.com/ian_a_jones/status/1257308849708527618

EDIT: Sorry I may have misread your message.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

More than 10 times as many people in Germany have likely been infected with the coronavirus than the number of confirmed cases, researchers from the University of Bonn have concluded from a field trial in one of the worst hit towns.

That's quite some iceberg!
    My guess is that it is the same here. I think its been here since November/December
    I think that was what my wife had late December, bilateral pneumonia but they did not manage to find out what it was over more than 5 weeks in hospital what had caused it, said it was massive inflammation and very unusual.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Isle of Wight seeing the benefits of voting Conservative.
  • Options
    85k tests...Big John incoming in 5...4...3....2...1..
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    This app seems to be pretty good, the way Hancock is selling it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Sunday, right? ;)
  • Options
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Rather than your conclusion of 0.5-0.8% IFR, presumably based on not having looked at the paper at all!
    Yes, but my point was that you can't assume "other things being equal".

My point was that if you have a terrible problem in care homes, then you will overestimate the number of people who've had it.

I don't think that's an outrageous, or even particularly controversial, point of view.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Its mentioned in the draft government advice for businesses to get back to work.
    I don't think any one is suggesting that 14 minutes and you're fine, 16 and you'll catch it. I think it's one of those broad brush approximations for where the risk lies.
  • Options

85k on a Sunday is mighty impressive.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

isam said:

What you are saying is then is that Britons beat corona by themselves and the government's heavy handed lockdown was not really necessary.

With a much less authoritarian approach Britons might have 'locked down' in far more sensible and flexible ways than the teenagers in our government have designed, and they would be de-locking in the same way right now.

As it is, they will be left with an economy far more shattered than it needed to be and a debt mountain we will be paying off for the rest of our lives.

Why? largely because the cowards and children that run our country were terrified of upsetting an intellectually challenged media the country has deserted in droves.
    Could not agree more, :)
  • Options

Not going to post many on a Sunday are we ?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Do we know for certain that masks are effective, and if so, how effective?

Define masks.
    N95 without valve: protects you and others
    N95 with valve: protects you, not others
    Surgical mask: pretty good protection of others, not you (although there was some field work done for masks and protection against flu about a decade ago which indicates that they may give partial protection to the wearer).
    Cloth masks: too many variables to say. Some probably work pretty well at protecting others, particularly those with pockets for some sort of filter or tissue insert. Others probably provide only minor protection for others. Again, these masks do not provide protection for you.
  • Options
    First two tests passed !
  • Options
    edited May 2020

MaxPB said:

Yes we are.

My point was the trend line is stubbornly linear at the moment -

• Options

I don't think any one is suggesting that 14 minutes and you're fine, 16 and you'll catch it. I think it's one of those broad brush approximations for where the risk lies.
    Yes i know. Just wondered why it came from. The 1-2m thing comes from the science of large droplets. Not heard anybody explain 15.mins things come from.
  • Options
    The numbers on workers furloughed from HRMC are staggering. 6.3 million at a cost of GBP8bn.

How many of those are going to walk back into work when that nice Mr Sunak takes his subsidies away?

• Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Not going to post many on a Sunday are we ?
    Sent same day courier via Amazon aren't they? Amazon are 7 days a week surely?
  • Options

The numbers on workers furloughed from HRMC are staggering. 6.3 million at a cost of GBP8bn.

How many of those are going to walk back into work when that nice Mr Sunak takes his subsidies away?

Many, many more than if the furlough wasn't there.
  • Options
    I don't like the sound of this you click the app to say you have symptoms...how many twats are going to f##k with this.
  • Options
    Reckon in a couple of weeks they will be desperate to find anyone for tests.

Def on the home straight now .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,260
    # new cases seems a bit stubborn.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

MaxPB said:

Yes we are.

Peak deaths in the UK (all settings) was 1,172 on April 20th.
  • Options

I don't like the sound of this you click the app to say you have symptoms...how many twats are going to f##k with this.

It would be good if you them booked your test through the app and it automatically updated with the result.
  • Options
    Wonder if the media will pick up on van tam saying testing capacity is 108k i.e. lower than 122k number out out on Friday.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

Germany already starting to get vending machines for masks are train stations.

I can see the shit show here in 2-3 months time when you can't get any.l, let alone from a vending machine.

And you have to touch buttons on the vending machine... :open_mouth:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes we are.

Yes that was my point too. I thought you were disagreeing.

It being linear is a very, very good thing when it goes down! Hopefully it stays linear!
  • Options

It would be good if you them booked your test through the app and it automatically updated with the result.
    This is the way it has to be. Must be confirmed via test and the individual either gets a code to input or the app pings it thriugh. We can't have people being able to just set it to positive by flicking a slider.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Testing capacity is a 108,000 tests a day . Amazing then that they managed 120,000 tests last week on d-day for the Hancock pledge !
  • Options

Good evening

No comment is required is it.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Testing capacity is a 108,000 tests a day . Amazing then that they managed 120,000 tests last week on d-day for the Hancock pledge !

Testing streams can go off as well as come on line.

We wont need 100k tests a day soon - buggers cant find anyone to test.
  • Options

# new cases seems a bit stubborn.

That's because of increased testing. A few days ago I wouldn't have been able to get tested for my mild symptoms. We are just picking up people who would never have been tested before. The blue bars are on the old basis of hospital admissions plus health care workers, and seems to be steadily falling
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Yes, but my point was that you can't assume "other things being equal".
    Of course.
  • Options

This app seems to be pretty good, the way Hancock is selling it.

Guaranteed to be crap then
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

nico67 said:

Testing streams can go off as well as come on line.

We wont need 100k tests a day soon - buggers cant find anyone to test.
    I think you'll find we'll be over 100k next 5 days in a row before we get to the weekend effect again.

108k capacity on a Sunday doesn't mean we won't get more tomorrow.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

Good grief.

Our local recyling centre (aka the tip) is closed. Why? The advice was to carry on working, at home if possible. I assume the council employees have been furloughed. I`m betting at 100% not 80%. Are councils claiming the 80% from central government funds?
  • Options

you are easy pleased
  • Options
    blairfblairf Posts: 98

it is what it is, what was done is done. getting them off furlough in the next two months is critical.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    A quote from a senior retail executive in the FT nails what is around the corner.

The gist is that an awful lot of the millions of furloughed people are actually unemployed.

They just don;t know it yet.

This is an addition to extra universal credit claims of an extra 1.75 to 2m

I guess you could say those are at least people that do know they are unemployed.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,236
    edited May 2020

kinabalu said:

FPT

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brexit's not driven by liberalism I never claimed it was. Brexit is a big tent that isn't on a liberal or conservative axis.
    Socially liberal attitudes are strongly and negatively correlated to enthusiasm for Brexit. This has been demonstrated beyond doubt in countless studies, surveys and polls. To argue otherwise is so irrational it must come from a place of need. Hence my diagnosis.

I predict a similar thing will happen with you and a fair few other Conservative posters when the time comes for us to take a hard look at Sunak's proposals for tacking the post corona public finances. There will be a need to support what he will do and at the same time maintain that Osborne was right in what he did. Some acrobatic contortions will ensue.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2020
    Own up, which one of you did it

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1257329572124798977

Shadsy is openly mocking people takin this bet.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

you are easy pleased
    I am. More done on a Sunday than we had done any day until 5 days ago.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I expect it to be a new record amount.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

I reckon something like 1m will be made redundant and maybe another million gig workers will find their contracts at an end. Which compared with the 30m jobs lost in the US is an incredibly good result.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    edited May 2020

A quote from a senior retail executive in the FT nails what is around the corner.

The gist is that an awful lot of the millions of furloughed people are actually unemployed.

They just don;t know it yet.

This is an addition to extra universal credit claims of an extra 1.75 to 2m

That's actually a problem for the companies who have furloughed those people as one of the original criteria of the scheme was that there is a job to go back to.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Good grief.

Our local recyling centre (aka the tip) is closed. Why? The advice was to carry on working, at home if possible. I assume the council employees have been furloughed. I`m betting at 100% not 80%. Are councils claiming the 80% from central government funds?
    Lots of civil servants on paid special leave. I'm now working from home but after clearing about a week's backlog I haven't had much to do.
  • Options

Wonder if the media will pick up on van tam saying testing capacity is 108k i.e. lower than 122k number out out on Friday.

No worries.

Hancock met his target (he says) so he has moved on.

We should now move onto test track and trace
  • Options
    blairf said:

it is what it is, what was done is done. getting them off furlough in the next two months is critical.
    Why?

There's talk of 3 months potentially until social distancing ends in some businesses. Why would you end furlough in 2 months then end restrictions in 3?

Furlough should end once we are back to normal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    Stocky said:

Good grief.

In Sheffield the staff at the recycling centres have been redeployed to the bin collection staff as the latter some of them have to self isolate.
  • Options
    What odds should Trump be to win the popular vote? You can lay him at 4.8 with Bf (thin market admittedly). He`s got next to no chance has he?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Good grief.

In Sheffield the staff at the recycling centres have been redeployed to the bin collection staff as the latter some of them have to self isolate.
    Ok, fair play then.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    eek said:

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

Is covering the NHS app this afternoon on his header (as well as other virus stuff).

Good questions being asked about a 'honeypot' centralised database vs Apple/Google.

Toby questions whether it will even work.

It's rare that I agree with Toby but I strongly suspect it won't.
    It's a Government IT project. It's always a fair bet it won't work.

If there were a company doing something similar and we could buy their app and expand it, that would give me a bit more confidence.
This discussion has been closed.