Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Splendid self-isolation. The lack of realism infecting British

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,948

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I can see the massive container ships piled high with cheap Chinese crap passing by my window. I doubt they’ll stop coming, whatever the latest obsession of the Tory lunatic fringe.

Do you believe that China has been as open and constructive as it should have been in this crisis?
    Institute of Virology in Wuhan, the epicentre of the global coronavirus outbreak, filed a patent for Gilead’s remdesivir antiviral drug on January 21

https://www.scmp.com/business/article/3049227/who-owns-magic-cure-chinas-move-patent-gileads-experimental-drug-could
    We covered this story. Filing a patent is not the same thing as getting one:

https://www.iam-media.com/coronavirus/wuhan-lab-says-it-will-seek-patent-protection-of-gilead-antiviral

But in filing a patent, you are telling the world what you claim to have invented. That is pretty open, isn’t it?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,763
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

I can see the massive container ships piled high with cheap Chinese crap passing by my window. I doubt they’ll stop coming, whatever the latest obsession of the Tory lunatic fringe.

Do you believe that China has been as open and constructive as it should have been in this crisis?
    All countries will learn lessons, and have made mistakes, but the blame game gets nowhere fast. Only the real tin foil hatters think this a deliberate act.

@IanB2 makes the reasonable point, that while our citizens are unhappy with some aspects of globalisation, in the end there is a vast market for cheap Chinese goods, from pulse oximeters to smartphones, that cannot be supplied domestically.

I make the parallel of China and Amazon.com: Both are aggressive monopolistic suppliers, with dubious social and employment practices, and freeloading off more civic minded businesses. Both though are a good consumer experience in the main, and for many items effectively the only supplier. I cannot see a reason for either to change such a successful formula.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    This is very cheeky - G&B Beauty products registered www.cobraprotect.com in early March - big ad for sanitising hand gels plastered over some newspaper websites.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FF43 said:

No-one who thinks realism is important supported Leave. But yes, you win at the globalisation game by taking part. Unfortunately those like me that think globalisation is the path to prosperity didn't make the case for it nor support those that didn't share that prosperity.

We need to start doing that now.

Many realists like myself backed Leave.

Those who view Remain as some fantasist nirvana and those who view Leave as some fantasist Meeks style isolationist backwater won't be backing it. But that's not realist.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    edited April 2020

"It’s not that others despise Britain. If they gave it any thought they probably would."

Just because you hate your own country doesn't mean everyone else does.

Disgusting.

You have to admit if they had a Eurovision popularity contest England would fare exactly as they do in the singing version , bottom of the pile.
    PS: Always amazing that Britain does not equal England when the brickbats are incoming.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    DavidL said:

I do not think that there is any doubt that COvid-19 is going to result in a significant reduction in international trade and investment. Even the UK, which has determinedly remained open to the world when most have shut their doors, is likely to impose quarantine restrictions soon. This will make international travel, already heading to much greater costs due to low occupancy rates, prohibitively expensive.

I also do not doubt that there is considerable anger with China arising from both the source of the virus and the lies told about it. But Alastair is wrong to say that this is a UK thing, it is not. What we will see is a lot of foreign manufacturing moving out of China. Most of that will belong to the US, our investments are somewhat smaller. There will be a desire to have shorter lines of supply and import substitution is going to be important.

The idea that the UK will be in the vanguard of this is wrong but we will no doubt play our small part. To take the voices arguing for this as evidence of a uniquely Britannia approach is wrong, they are a part of a much broader conversation.

This will matter to China but probably not as much as we think it will. They have critical mass in their own economy and in their economic sphere of influence.

The world will quietly adopt, without any formal policy ever being announced, a buy China last approach.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Love the Casablanca references. One of my favourite films.

Anyway, on topic, I would sup with China with a very long spoon indeed (to my mind @AlistairM underestimates the malign effect of China’s political and social system on the world now, let alone if it becomes the global superpower), maintain very close trading links with the EU and wait and see whether the US re-elects Trump. But as no-one listens to me, that is by the by.

Perhaps Lisa Nandy could come up with some fresh thinking on the Labour side on foreign policy. She has the brains to do it, it would help distinguish the Starmer era from the adolescent hate-the-West-protest-group foreign policy which Corbyn introduced and it might sharpen up or provide some intelligent opposition to what the government is trying to do. There is certainly a need for it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Interesting piece with a few different themes. That the UK/US trade deal would run into problems was both predictable and widely predicted.

I disagree with AM in that he considers the UK very selective about trading partners.
    To me it seems we have a confused and uncoordinated system, which leads to situations like the govt selling arms to the Saudis to target civilians, and then belatedly being told this is against the law. But he's right that in legal terms we care, in a way that some other countries don't.

AM says there is anti-corporate animus (and perhaps there is in some places), but in terms of facts on the ground corporations in the West seem more powerful than ever. In the UK, I see a country turning a blind eye to all kinds of tax havens within its jurisdiction.

The EU is the only organization looking to act - but they are still too weak and divided to do much. Too many countries like Malta, Ireland, Luxembourg need their sweetheart deals. ).
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

DavidL said:

I do not think that there is any doubt that COvid-19 is going to result in a significant reduction in international trade and investment. Even the UK, which has determinedly remained open to the world when most have shut their doors, is likely to impose quarantine restrictions soon. This will make international travel, already heading to much greater costs due to low occupancy rates, prohibitively expensive.

I also do not doubt that there is considerable anger with China arising from both the source of the virus and the lies told about it. But Alastair is wrong to say that this is a UK thing, it is not. What we will see is a lot of foreign manufacturing moving out of China. Most of that will belong to the US, our investments are somewhat smaller. There will be a desire to have shorter lines of supply and import substitution is going to be important.

The idea that the UK will be in the vanguard of this is wrong but we will no doubt play our small part. To take the voices arguing for this as evidence of a uniquely Britannia approach is wrong, they are a part of a much broader conversation.

This will matter to China but probably not as much as we think it will. They have critical mass in their own economy and in their economic sphere of influence.

The world will quietly adopt, without any formal policy ever being announced, a buy China last approach.
    Its taught the British Govt to be more self sufficient even if its more expensive... a good thing imho.
  • Options
    SockySocky Posts: 404
    algarkirk said:

As a way of simultaneously patronising and offending Muslims I don't think this could be improved.

How about appointing a leader who will lecture everyone on the beauty of pansexuality?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

DavidL said:

No they won't. People will continue to buy whatever is cheapest.
  • Options

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Can understand Mr M being somewhat negative. Can't see much to be positive about, apart from the weather, at the moment, although Boris is said to be 'raring to go' on Monday. Might at least have a Press Conference where the speeches are less 'Newspeak" driven.

Will he be able to top "shoplifting and pub fights down" Tory successes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Best we can expect is that we will buy our cheap tat from some other similar very cheap manufacturing country.
  • Options

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Institute of Virology in Wuhan, the epicentre of the global coronavirus outbreak, filed a patent for Gilead’s remdesivir antiviral drug on January 21

https://www.scmp.com/business/article/3049227/who-owns-magic-cure-chinas-move-patent-gileads-experimental-drug-could

https://www.iam-media.com/coronavirus/wuhan-lab-says-it-will-seek-patent-protection-of-gilead-antiviral

But in filing a patent, you are telling the world what you claim to have invented. That is pretty open, isn’t it?
    It does make you wonder what their priorities were in January.
  • Options
    Socky said:

FF43 said:

No-one who thinks realism is important supported Leave.

I would argue that Europhilia was the triumph of idealism over realism.

The actual EU always seems to fall short of the dream.
    We will see how the NEW Empire compares to it in time, will be interesting.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

DavidL said:

I suspect that there will be a great deal of noise, as we have already seen with Trump in the US. Indeed, the UK government resisting very strong US pressure not to sign the Huawei deal, indicates that we are laggards in this movement, not the leaders. I expect a deterioration or perhaps even collapse of the WTO and increasing tariffs. China will be on the receiving end of a lot of this. None of this will help a world economy trying to recover from the current calamity of course but some rebalancing, particularly of UK trade, is required.
  • Options

Raab looks like he's aged since this outbreak broke.

Not due to work that is for sure , a couple of crap speeches does not cut it.
  • Options
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair, this is all a bit "end is nigh". (And I speak as someone who warned of much of this before the vote.)

While deals with the EU, the US and China all require painful compromises (and therefore will probably not happen for some time), there are plenty of places that are not as overbearing as those three.

We would expect to see, therefore, deals with Canada, with New Zealand, with Australia, and with South Korea. Now, are these massive? No, because those countries simply aren't that big.

This does probably mean the UK's terms of trade will worsen somewhat. But that's not the end of the world. It will require some painful adjustments. And yes, some businesses will probably end up closing.

But in the long run, the wealth of the United Kingdom and its citizens will not be determined by the trade deals agreed in the coming decade, but in public policy choices, particularly around education and the tax and benefits system.

If we continue to discourage work through an ill sort out set of incentives. And if we choose to produce millions of young people without employable skills, then we'll be stuffed. But at least we won't be able to hide those faults through immigration from the EU.

Politicians, I grant you, have hardly covered themselves in glory so far. But at least they will be responsible. Thar can be no bad thing.

The last line of the headers was reminiscent of Bogart and Raines in Casablanca :smiley:

EDIT: Oops - just read the comments - not as original an insight as I thought!
    I’m shocked - shocked - that echoes of Casablanca are being found in this piece.
    You caught me - I only read the last sentence initially - skipped as soon as I saw the word Brexit! :smiley:
    Life is too short......
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Cyclefree said:

I would sup with China with a very long spoon indeed (to my mind @AlistairM underestimates the malign effect of China’s political and social system on the world now, let alone if it becomes the global superpower)

Given the examples of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, are we also underestimating the fragility of the CCP regime?

It is easy to ignore the lack of freedoms while everyone is getting richer. If growth slows or stops, perhaps some internal tensions will come to the surface.
  • Options

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair, this is all a bit "end is nigh". (And I speak as someone who warned of much of this before the vote.)

While deals with the EU, the US and China all require painful compromises (and therefore will probably not happen for some time), there are plenty of places that are not as overbearing as those three.

We would expect to see, therefore, deals with Canada, with New Zealand, with Australia, and with South Korea. Now, are these massive? No, because those countries simply aren't that big.

This does probably mean the UK's terms of trade will worsen somewhat. But that's not the end of the world. It will require some painful adjustments. And yes, some businesses will probably end up closing.

But in the long run, the wealth of the United Kingdom and its citizens will not be determined by the trade deals agreed in the coming decade, but in public policy choices, particularly around education and the tax and benefits system.

If we continue to discourage work through an ill sort out set of incentives. And if we choose to produce millions of young people without employable skills, then we'll be stuffed. But at least we won't be able to hide those faults through immigration from the EU.

Politicians, I grant you, have hardly covered themselves in glory so far. But at least they will be responsible. Thar can be no bad thing.

The last line of the headers was reminiscent of Bogart and Raines in Casablanca :smiley:

EDIT: Oops - just read the comments - not as original an insight as I thought!
    I’m shocked - shocked - that echoes of Casablanca are being found in this piece.
    The start of a beautiful friendship .....
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

Dr. Foxy, whilst there's merit in what you say, it also misses the point.

You refer to the 'vacuity of Brexitism', but the decision to leave was not based on endorsing a specific path forward, but on whether to remain in the EU or leave. Your attack (which, as I said, has merit) on how things might turn out is in no way a defence of, let alone promotion of, the EU. It's a bit like the strategic mistake the Remain campaign made, failing to defend the thing the vote was actually about and instead attacking what might happen as an alternative.

We can choose the way forward (and may choose wisely or poorly). But the referendum was about who decides (amongst other things).

If I were a resident of Remainia, as you put it, I'd be looking at trying to get the closest credible deal with the EU to make a return easier (this looks unlikely now, given the pro-EU Parliament repeatedly rejected everything May tried).

No, I am not bothered by Hard as Nails Brexit. I have arranged my affairs to minimise my exposure to it personally. My job and pension are safe, and I shall be rich enough to retire abroad with relative ease, should I choose.

In time, I expect Britons will realise the self destructiveness of Autarky Brexit, but they need to get a strong sulphurous whiff of Hell before they repent.
    It's very interesting how wealthy and well-off most hardcore Remainers are.
    Generalising there I think?

How about Johnson?, Farage?, Dyson?, Witherspoons Idiot?, Oakeshott's bit of squeeze?, I could go on...by I won't, I'm just about managing on a pension.

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

You refer to the 'vacuity of Brexitism', but the decision to leave was not based on endorsing a specific path forward, but on whether to remain in the EU or leave. Your attack (which, as I said, has merit) on how things might turn out is in no way a defence of, let alone promotion of, the EU. It's a bit like the strategic mistake the Remain campaign made, failing to defend the thing the vote was actually about and instead attacking what might happen as an alternative.

We can choose the way forward (and may choose wisely or poorly). But the referendum was about who decides (amongst other things).

If I were a resident of Remainia, as you put it, I'd be looking at trying to get the closest credible deal with the EU to make a return easier (this looks unlikely now, given the pro-EU Parliament repeatedly rejected everything May tried).

No, I am not bothered by Hard as Nails Brexit. I have arranged my affairs to minimise my exposure to it personally. My job and pension are safe, and I shall be rich enough to retire abroad with relative ease, should I choose.

In time, I expect Britons will realise the self destructiveness of Autarky Brexit, but they need to get a strong sulphurous whiff of Hell before they repent.

How about Johnson?, Farage?, Dyson?, Witherspoons Idiot?, Oakeshott's bit of squeeze?, I could go on...by I won't, I'm just about managing on a pension.

• Options

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

It does make you wonder what their priorities were in January.
    Who is the “their”? Many institutions around the world have patenting policies which state you should seek protection for your claimed inventions. Those doing the filing would have beenmpatent professionals, not doctors or researchers.

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Nice to see this header getting the respect and attention it deserves....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,763

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

Hard-core Brexiteers too.

" As a No10 adviser said: 'You can see lockdown is starting to sag at the edges a little. Imagine if that had happened two weeks ago just as we were approaching the peak. Imagine the lives that would have been lost.' "

(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8257469/DAN-HODGES-inconvenient-truth-Boriss-critics-did-follow-science.html)

Exactly as a few of us on here said at the time when the media and the Left were screaming to be locked down asap.

Fairly obviously, a lockdown that started earlier would finish earlier. Indeed very likely such an early lockdown would have been of shorter duration.

I think that we are now seeing a difference between places that took action early, and those too late. The Lockdown in Lombardy seems too late, while elsewhere in Italy effective. The same goes for France, with Paris and Eastern Departments in trouble, while a large number of Departments in South and West are virtually untouched. Much the same in England too.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Sounds like Trump has finally realised that his two hour "performances" at the WH each evening on live TV are hurting his polling.
  • Options
    Socky said:

Cyclefree said:

I would sup with China with a very long spoon indeed (to my mind @AlistairM underestimates the malign effect of China’s political and social system on the world now, let alone if it becomes the global superpower)

Given the examples of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, are we underestimating the fragility of the CCP regime?

It is easy to ignore the lack of freedoms while everyone is getting richer. If growth slows or stops, perhaps some internal tensions will come to the surface.
    An interesting question. An important one. I don’t know the answer.

But I did write this in my December header on China and the Uighur Muslims - “ Still, one lesson to be learnt from the disappearance of Soviet Russia and its satellites 3 decades ago, is that apparently permanent and impregnable and strong polities are not necessarily as permanent and impregnable and strong as everyone had supposed.” (See here - https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/09/lets-talk-about-islamophobia/).

• Options
    Socky said:

Foxy said:

Indeed it is impressive how few rusty cars we see nowadays.

I recently saw a lorry transporting what I assumed were second hand cars on the way to a dealer. One of the cars on board was a good condition BMW. I was just thinking; that's nice, I wonder how much it is. Then I noticed this wasn't a proper car transporter, and there was another car sitting on the roof of the BMW. Presumably the whole load was on the way to the crusher.

The mechanics and electrics fail on modern cars way before the bodywork.

Actually its the tendency of the insurance industry these days to write cars off as unrepairable, as its far cheaper for them to do so than repair in the vast majority of cases.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Interesting piece with a few different themes. That the UK/US trade deal would run into problems was both predictable and widely predicted.

I disagree with AM in that he considers the UK very selective about trading partners.
    To me it seems we have a confused and uncoordinated system, which leads to situations like the govt selling arms to the Saudis to target civilians, and then belatedly being told this is against the law. But he's right that in legal terms we care, in a way that some other countries don't.

AM says there is anti-corporate animus (and perhaps there is in some places), but in terms of facts on the ground corporations in the West seem more powerful than ever. In the UK, I see a country turning a blind eye to all kinds of tax havens within its jurisdiction.

The EU is the only organization looking to act - but they are still too weak and divided to do much. Too many countries like Malta, Ireland, Luxembourg need their sweetheart deals. ).

Any halfwit who thought England would get a trade deal with USA in the mid term never mind quickly was obviously an absolute numpty with a plank for a brain.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

I agree. For some reason my comment making that point was not published. I was also going to say that I believe Dr Fox is a comprehensive boy who through hard work and talent has become a well-paid hospital consultant. That is something to celebrate.

• Options

DavidL said:

Describes the UK perfectly , cheapskates who will ignore anything as long as it costs peanuts whilst whining about human rights etc etc
  • Options
    Regarding China I've scratched my hear on this for a while. A couple of Christmases ago I had a look at the stuff we had bought for the childs, and almost all of it was made in China. The Chromebook I am typing this on was Made in China - the shortage of electronics as people switched to WFH was a big spike in demand just as inbound supply from China slowed down.

How do we boycott China as some suggest without rolling the technology clock back 20 years? I suspect most could live without the mindless plastic tat which comes from China, but unless we are going to gear up the 2020 version of Timex to produce UK electronics to go into the 2020 version of a Sinclair Spectrum them we will struggle.

And its not just China. Last night's weekly leftie quiz hit controversy when a question was asked about Amazon where you lost points if you had bought stuff from these "scroungers". A lot of complaints on the Zoom screen. Such an approach is absurd in the modern world. I not only buy from Amazon I like Amazon. Same with Wetherspoons. Sanctimonious boycotts - whether against Amazon from the left or against China from the right - need to be ignored.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Describes the UK perfectly , cheapskates who will ignore anything as long as it costs peanuts whilst whining about human rights etc etc
    Human nature, Malc. Human nature.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,012

DavidL said:

Which won't be China going forward as for things that require human labour, India, Africa and Bangladesh will be cheaper.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Socky said:

"You must remember this did not work particularly well in Britain when it was tried in the 1960s and 1970s. This leads inexorably to the Austin Allegro. "

That just proves Socialism doesn't work.

You mean the Austin Allegro designed by the non-nationalised conglomerate of British Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd?
  • Options

Actually its the tendency of the insurance industry these days to write cars off as unrepairable, as its far cheaper for them to do so than repair in the vast majority of cases.

Possibly, but anecdotally any major failure on a car more than a few years old will cost more than the car is worth.

Parts are expensive, labour is expensive, and modern cars are complicated and difficult to repair.

Device repairability is one area the enviro-mentalists could usefully apply some pressure, but don't.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

Hard-core Brexiteers too.

" As a No10 adviser said: 'You can see lockdown is starting to sag at the edges a little. Imagine if that had happened two weeks ago just as we were approaching the peak. Imagine the lives that would have been lost.' "

(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8257469/DAN-HODGES-inconvenient-truth-Boriss-critics-did-follow-science.html)

Exactly as a few of us on here said at the time when the media and the Left were screaming to be locked down asap.

Fairly obviously, a lockdown that started earlier would finish earlier. Indeed very likely such an early lockdown would have been of shorter duration.

I think that we are now seeing a difference between places that took action early, and those too late. The Lockdown in Lombardy seems too late, while elsewhere in Italy effective. The same goes for France, with Paris and Eastern Departments in trouble, while a large number of Departments in South and West are virtually untouched. Much the same in England too.
    It's ratber astonishing that some people seem unable to understand the concept that an earlier, tighter lockdown would also have been very likely to be a shorter lockdown. I've no idea who this Dan Hodges is, but he seems a complete idiot.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    TGOHF666 said:

Nice to see this header getting the respect and attention it deserves....

How's the old Shanghai Sniffle?
  • Options

You mean the Austin Allegro designed by the non-nationalised conglomerate of British Leyland Motor Corporation Ltd?

Wiki: BLMC was created on 17 January 1968 by the merger of British Motor Holdings and Leyland Motor Corporation encouraged by Tony Benn as chairman of the Industrial Reorganisation Committee created by the first Wilson Government.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Human nature, Malc. Human nature.
    OKC, Unfortunately true but you would hope enough had brain power to realise that buying everything cheap from abroad ends up with them not having decent jobs. You get what we have now , a layer of highly paid jobs and the rest on minimum wage / zero hour contracts. They are stupid as well.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

DavidL said:

I do think you are wrong on this. It tis difficult to get any sort of accurate picture under lockdown, I admit. But in those conversations I have had, there does seem to be a mood abroad that China should suffer for lying about the extent of the Covid-19 epidemic they were suffering, closing down their own medical staff from raising the alarm - and thereby not instilling in the outside world the much earlier level of action this virus required.

I suspect that will be much more strongly felt in the US. I could see "Buy Chinese last" becoming an overt movement over there.
  • Options

It's rather astonishing that some people seem unable to understand the concept that an earlier, tighter lockdown would also have been very likely to be a shorter lockdown.

Or possibly multiple shorter lockdowns within the long wait for a vaccine.

The choices made might yet turn out to be the wrong ones, but that is not clear as of now.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Wee Scotlander
  • Options
    Socky said:

Wiki: BLMC was created on 17 January 1968 by the merger of British Motor Holdings and Leyland Motor Corporation encouraged by Tony Benn as chairman of the Industrial Reorganisation Committee created by the first Wilson Government.
    Also Wiki: It was partly nationalised in 1975, when the UK government created a holding company called British Leyland, later BL, in 1978.

Best waiting till there are actually reds under the bed before piddling in your PJs.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,397

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

1. By how much the China Research Group will have to convince HMG to increase tariffs on China by so that Chinese goods are no longer the cheapest?

2. How much trade we will lose due to retaliatory tariffs from China?

3. In aggregate how much will that cost?

4. Are the benefits of shifting trade away from China, and hopefully towards democracies such as India, as well as domestically, worth the costs?

My instinctive thoughts are that I wish the CRG more success than I ever wished the ERG.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    IanB2 said:

In other news, the rumoured UK 14-day quarantine requirement for incoming and returning foreign travellers doesn’t suggest the travel industry is going to be back on its feet any time soon.

It's a necessary price at the moment.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Morning all :)

An interesting thread from Antifrank as always for which many thanks.

While the notion of globalisation has its proponents and its merits the problem is it illustrates the exploitative nature of capitalism. If it costs me 10p to make a widget and another country can do it for 1p and even with transport the net cost is 5p I know what I would be tempted to do.

From coal to pineapples, the economic history of the last three centuries is replete with countries who started off being the top dog for that product and then found themselves undercut by a cheaper rival elsewhere. As transport costs fell that advantage became more stark.

First it was China then it will be south Asia and eventually it will be Africa whose resources are being exploited now and whose people will be exploited later.

Yet we now see the cultural issues with globalisation finally coming in from the fringes - "money talks, men walk" as someone once said and whether it's from the fields or across continents people will always leave poverty for imagined prosperity - wouldn't you?

For rich and poor it's a huge challenge and add into it the current atmosphere of fear and overlay that with the spectre of the impacts of climate change and it becomes a global as much as a regional challenge.

I've always stated leaving the EU gives us the chance to re-imagine the nation state for the 21st Century and beyond and part of that is around working with other nations. "Global Britain" isn't just about trade or economics but about our place in the world - the question that has bedevilled our politics since 1945.

Having that debate about what kind of Britain we want is worthwhile - embracing what is best about us doesn't make us insular. We can be both what we are and what we can bring to the world and take from the world.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited April 2020

Worth reading what Tom Tugendhat actually wrote about China:

The challenge is unlike any before. We cannot isolate ourselves from China. We need to engage not just to contain this deadly virus but to work together on the challenges we all face. automation, climate change, demographics and much more will have a dramatic impact on China as well as everywhere else, and we need to find ways to work together. But cooperation can only come from understanding.

https://www.cityam.com/we-must-understand-china-to-manage-the-threat-of-this-rising-superpower/

No mentions of "Singapore on Thames" or "punishment" or "John Bull".

Tom Tugendhat, that avid Brexiteer that voted for Remain. Some people just won't let go will they.

Meanwhile it's seeing China for the last two decades as a mere "trading partner" while they've treated the West as an adversary in a Cold War that's landed us where we are. Condoleeza Rice recently apologised to a conference hall full of Asian business leaders for letting China into the WTO, calling it the greatest mistake of her political career. She is right.

If you've spent time with any remotely senior CPC members and understood their motivations and priorities you will agree. The Chinese Communist Party has been waging an economic, trading, diplomatic and technological war for decades now but most Western politicians have been too glib and naive to realise. Even as Xi Jinping made the policy overt, with speeches and policy papers practically declaring such.

Well done TT for putting your head up on this when no-one else wanted to listed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    felix said:

<

It would be ok if those unemployed were all given similar cover by the state while they were not working for whatever reason.

Sure. That from memory is pretty much how the Swiss system works, and I never heard any complaints about it. As I say, I don't claim that the NHS is the only model that works, only that the US model has a gaping hole which becomes horrible at times of mass unemployment - ironically especially when this is caused by health issues, since if you don't have insurance you will be inhibited from getting your health checked, just at a time when the public interest makes it important.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,819
    Cyclefree said:

Love the Casablanca references. One of my favourite films.

Anyway, on topic, I would sup with China with a very long spoon indeed (to my mind @AlistairM underestimates the malign effect of China’s political and social system on the world now, let alone if it becomes the global superpower), maintain very close trading links with the EU and wait and see whether the US re-elects Trump. But as no-one listens to me, that is by the by.

Perhaps Lisa Nandy could come up with some fresh thinking on the Labour side on foreign policy. She has the brains to do it, it would help distinguish the Starmer era from the adolescent hate-the-West-protest-group foreign policy which Corbyn introduced and it might sharpen up or provide some intelligent opposition to what the government is trying to do. There is certainly a need for it.

If the rest of the world could exert pressure on China that would be great. But it requires things that arent going to happen, close co-ordination between many countries with the US accepting both the responsibility of the lead role, but also simultaneously accepting it doesnt have a unilateral say in the response to China. We are miles away from that. The next decade will be isolationalist and nationalistic. We need to prepare for that and understand the limits of our influence, not waste our influence where there is no hope of success.

In that world, the UK saying we dont want to trade with China is like a semi famous author saying they wont deal with Amazon. The impact is negligible to the bigger player and the response is fine come back when you realise you are better off getting involved.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Covid 19 may be dominating your thoughts, but mine are turning to assets that I have, property, shares, pension pot, bank deposits and so one tc.

Why? because a wealth tax may be coming. Its been floated in the Times and the Guardian in the past few days and these things are not coincidences.

The politicians are starting to look, horrified, at the numbers, and are realising they have completely bankrupted Britain for what will soon be seen as a highly questionable return.

What better way to make up for the worst policy decision in history than to steal the money from our core vote via state confiscation of assets? (as a 'one off, of course. Special situation doncha know)

You might think Johnson and co would be insane to do that. but then much the government has done in recent weeks has been completely insane.

It was Peter Hitchens who flagged this up originally and why would we believe him? well he's got so much else right about this worst of all debacles, after all
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Worth reading what Tom Tugendhat actually wrote about China:

The challenge is unlike any before. We cannot isolate ourselves from China. We need to engage not just to contain this deadly virus but to work together on the challenges we all face. automation, climate change, demographics and much more will have a dramatic impact on China as well as everywhere else, and we need to find ways to work together. But cooperation can only come from understanding.

https://www.cityam.com/we-must-understand-china-to-manage-the-threat-of-this-rising-superpower/

No mentions of "Singapore on Thames" or "punishment" or "John Bull".

Tom Tugendhat, that avid Brexiteer that voted for Remain. Some people just won't let go will they.

Meanwhile it's seeing China for the last two decades as a mere "trading partner" while they've treated the West as an adversary in a Cold War that's landed us where we are. Condoleeza Rice recently apologised to a conference hall full of Asian business leaders for letting China into the WTO, calling it the greatest mistake of her political career. She is right.

If you've spent time with any remotely senior CPC members and understood their motivations and priorities you will agree. The Chinese Communist Party has been waging an economic, trading, diplomatic and technological war for decades now but most Western politicians have been too glib and naive to realise. Even as Xi Jinping made the policy overt, with speeches and policy papers practically declaring such.

Well done TT for putting your head up on this when no-one else wanted to listed.
    Now that Brexit is done Tugendhat might lead the tories one day. One day sooner than we realise.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,022

Why? because a wealth tax may be coming. Its been floated in the Times and the Guardian in the past few days and these things are not coincidences.

It would not surprise me. This is very much this government's MO: float something in the press to test reaction while complaining that the press are insufficiently supplicant.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,951

I respect Alastair's efforts to contribute articles on here but I don't think this is a good one. I fear he is stuck in a remainer vs leaver mindset that shapes everything else.

Nick Palmer mentioned the lack of strategic thinking which seems right. There was strategic thinking of sorts from Osborne but it was probably the wrong kind. Let's be as friendly as possible to get the economic benefits and then China is more likely to be influenced by us. He might as well have said 'stand shoulder to shoulder.'

I would have thought a sensible position would be - The rise of China is a reality, how might we gain some benefit from that whilst protecting ourselves from the threats it poses (in its current form of governance). Perhaps an opposition lead by a human rights barrister could think of something?

I think that seems pretty reasonable.
  • Options

Covid 19 may be dominating your thoughts, but mine are turning to assets that I have, property, shares, pension pot, bank deposits and so one tc.

The politicians are starting to look, horrified, at the numbers, and are realising they have completely bankrupted Britain for what will soon be seen as a highly questionable return.

What better way to make up for the worst policy decision in history than to steal the money from our core vote via state confiscation of assets? (as a 'one off, of course. Special situation doncha know)

You might think Johnson and co would be insane to do that. but then much the government has done in recent weeks has been completely insane.

It was Peter Hitchens who flagged this up originally and why would we believe him? well he's got so much else right about this worst of all debacles, after all

What's your plan then? Buy gold and bury it in the garden?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes, I think cold hard self interest will override many of the loftier ambitions of responses to China.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It would not surprise me. This is very much this government's MO: float something in the press to test reaction while complaining that the press are insufficiently supplicant.
    Yes, I've never heard of any other government floating ideas in the press or complaining about the media.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

1. By how much the China Research Group will have to convince HMG to increase tariffs on China by so that Chinese goods are no longer the cheapest?

4. Are the benefits of shifting trade away from China, and hopefully towards democracies such as India, as well as domestically, worth the costs?

My instinctive thoughts are that I wish the CRG more success than I ever wished the ERG.
    Another point that they probably havent considered as it is more than one step ahead which is difficult for them.

If the EU know we are about to cut trade with China, and that internal US politics makes a UK-US trade deal impossible there, it massively strengthens their hand in UK-EU negotiations. Even if we refuse a deal now, sooner or later we will be forced back to the EU as it will be our only option left.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,764
    Socky said:

FF43 said:

No-one who thinks realism is important supported Leave.

I would argue that Europhilia was the triumph of idealism over realism.

The actual EU always seems to fall short of the dream.
    Remain had its smaller share of ideologues. If we deduct Remainers who accept the result and the tiny number of Leavers who voted for a Global Britain and then changed their minds when confronted with the clear evidence that nativist Brexit was no such thing, we can calculate that realism is a minority interest in the UK right now. Very minority actually.
  • Options
    Blood pressure meds and Covid - early results

Paper has been submitted for peer review but has not been reviewed yet. If you are taking these meds - keep taking them - if you're worried talk to your Dr before doing anything.

In our dataset, we found that people taking ACE inhibitors and ARBs were twice as likely to report having symptoms of COVID-19 than those who weren’t taking any blood pressure medications, while those taking other types of drug for blood pressure were actually half as likely to show any symptoms.

But - and it’s a big but - we didn’t see the same relationship when it came to people who had actually had a test for COVID-19. In this case, people taking blood pressure medications were just as likely to have a positive test results than those who weren’t.

This may be because there is relatively limited coronavirus testing in the UK, with tests mostly reserved for people who are directly and frequently exposed to the virus, such as healthcare workers, and seriously ill patients who have been hospitalised. So we can’t be sure what’s going on in the wider population for people who have less intense exposure or less serious disease.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/blood-pressure
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

If you remember, in early February before all this started the possibility of Sajid Javid introducing a mansion tax was leaked to the press. It was claimed Johnson initially liked but then nixed the idea. If they wanted one then they aren't going to be shy about having one now.

What to do about It is the question though.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

Another point that they probably havent considered as it is more than one step ahead which is difficult for them.

If the EU know we are about to cut trade with China, and that internal US politics makes a UK-US trade deal impossible there, it massively strengthens their hand in UK-EU negotiations. Even if we refuse a deal now, sooner or later we will be forced back to the EU as it will be our only option left.
    That would be to make the mistake of assuming dispassionate rationality on our part, but so much of politics is governed by passion that a lengthy period of stubborn isolation on Britain's part, leavened by an optimistic view of what can be achieved by a re-engagement with the Commonwealth, would be a much more likely result of a hardball stance from the EU.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    IshmaelZ said:

If you remember, in early February before all this started the possibility of Sajid Javid introducing a mansion tax was leaked to the press. It was claimed Johnson initially liked but then nixed the idea. If they wanted one then they aren't going to be shy about having one now.

Establishing property values might be a challenge for quite some time.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Meanwhile, in kinder and gentler news:
    https://twitter.com/JAHeale/status/1254160664949665794
  • Options

DavidL said:

I do think you are wrong on this. It tis difficult to get any sort of accurate picture under lockdown, I admit. But in those conversations I have had, there does seem to be a mood abroad that China should suffer for lying about the extent of the Covid-19 epidemic they were suffering, closing down their own medical staff from raising the alarm - and thereby not instilling in the outside world the much earlier level of action this virus required.

I suspect that will be much more strongly felt in the US. I could see "Buy Chinese last" becoming an overt movement over there.
    Mark, perhaps among your rich Tory friends, unfortunately the great unwashed will through necessity or stupidity remain cheapskates.
  • Options
    One of the problems with boycotting China is that in many very important areas for the fourth industrial revolution and IoT - 5G, AI, blockchain - they have very strong, often world-leading technology. It will be very tough to work around that.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

It isn;t just a mansion tax that is being floated. Its a savings tax too. And so if you have money on deposit, the government will just take a percentage.

Or stealing, as its otherwise known.

The governments policies have already turned Britain into a third world country. State Kleptocracy is just the next step.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

That would be to make the mistake of assuming dispassionate rationality on our part, but so much of politics is governed by passion that a lengthy period of stubborn isolation on Britain's part, leavened by an optimistic view of what can be achieved by a re-engagement with the Commonwealth, would be a much more likely result of a hardball stance from the EU.
    The Commonwealth are not going to doff their cap and accept being lorded over again by England, they will also tell them to GTF.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

The Commonwealth are not going to doff their cap and accept being lorded over again by England, they will also tell them to GTF.
    And also they are too busy being lorded over by China....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Hard to do when so many people are living on savings already - and plenty more will be doing so once furlough ends. If people have no income, no way of getting a job and such assets as they have are confiscated, what are they supposed to live on?
  • Options

malcolmg said:
    Wee Scotlander
    Are you insane, what kind of gibberish is that
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, aye, tech built on the back of widespread, blatant IP theft to which the world turned a blind eye. Which may not necessarily have been terribly clever.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Mark, perhaps among your rich Tory friends, unfortunately the great unwashed will through necessity or stupidity remain cheapskates.
    Unless there's sudden legislation to plaster Made in China in huge letters over everything, it won't be an issue. Folk need to take a walk through the Parkead Forge B&Ms if they think anyone gives a fcuk about where stuff's made.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

I agree. For some reason my comment making that point was not published. I was also going to say that I believe Dr Fox is a comprehensive boy who through hard work and talent has become a well-paid hospital consultant. That is something to celebrate.

Indeed it is BUT.... its all.you hear about these days. If you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth ,even a tarnished one,you are damned ,irrespective of your capabilities.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Establishing property values might be a challenge for quite some time.
    The value of a house won't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

And also they are too busy being lorded over by China....
    I think bribed by are the words you're looking for.
  • Options
    On topic, the UK's best option now is to quietly but effectively repair relationships with the EU. The EU may be creaking but it is, as it was, the only game in town in Europe. If supply lines are going regional rather than global that means more EU, not less.

Closer relations with China was the only major potential win from Brexit. If that's now out the picture, we're left where we started: with the EU.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hard to do when so many people are living on savings already - and plenty more will be doing so once furlough ends. If people have no income, no way of getting a job and such assets as they have are confiscated, what are they supposed to live on?
    A very good question. I have no idea what the answer is.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The questions then are:

I agree that will be the first response and probably the EU would be expecting that. How long would/can stubborn isolation last? And how long do the EU expect it would last?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Soylent green ?
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Covid is going to increase isolationism. It could be painted as a symptom of globalisation. Even foreign holidays may become rarities like they were pre 60s.
  • Options
    Mr. 43, it's possible an economic argument will work now when it failed in abject fashion (due to being ludicrously overblown) in 2016, due to the impact of ye olde plague.

But ignoring the identity/governance aspect is deeply unwise if you want to bang the drum for the EU.

I doubt anybody was voting to leave, or very few, due to enthusiasm about China.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

One of the new trends in crypto is that of the stablecoin, a crypto whose value is pegged to a fiat currency (or other real world commodity) but with the greater fungibility and censorship resistance of crypto.

It is quite easy these days to put your money out of reach of the state, and getting easier every day. That trend will accelerate greatly if the government decide to start giving everyone's savings a haircut.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The only way I see the government funding this in a way remotely acceptable to the public is by printing money or expressly defaulting on debts. Printing money is probably more palatable.

Now might be a very good time to fix mortgage deals.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966

The only way I see the government funding this in a way remotely acceptable to the public is by printing money or expressly defaulting on debts. Printing money is probably more palatable.

I fixed for 5 years a few weeks back.
  • Options

Mr. Observer, aye, tech built on the back of widespread, blatant IP theft to which the world turned a blind eye. Which may not necessarily have been terribly clever.

IP only exists once you create it. Very few companies used to file for patent protection in China, which meant Chinese companies were at perfect liberty to use the inventions. Likewise, the West could have chosen to prioritise investment in 5G infrastructure. It chose not to. None of that is China’s fault. Trade secret theft, counterfeiting and puracy are another matter, mind!

• Options
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

In order to prevent this situation, the government would have had to live, for a while, with a high-ish level of daily deaths.

They would have had to tough out some awful days and terrible headlines in order to protect the British economy.

They simply could not do this. The did not have courage to sacrifice some lives now to save the country from a penury that will be worse for many, many more lives. Policy is all about keeping Adam Boulton and Piers Morgan happy.

As such, a much worse fate awaits them

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Yes, in general it's going to be another round of asset price inflation at the expense of holders of cash. I've taken this into account for my investments.
  • Options

Mr. 43, I don't subscribe to your view that 52% of the country are fantasists.

But it's a lot easier to call the other side fantasists, Little Englanders, xenophobes, (or traitors...), than it is to actually consider what their concerns are and why they voted the way they did. But that does mean engaging with their opinions and treating them as valid, rather than ignorant fantastical nonsense to be derided.

I said they don't think realism is important.i wouldn't necessarily go as far as say they were fantasists. In any case it's more than 52%. Remain had its share of ideologues too.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    isam said:
    MAybe Covid-19 has caused those deaths in people who had not been tested.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

One of the new trends in crypto is that of the stablecoin, a crypto whose value is pegged to a fiat currency (or other real world commodity) but with the greater fungibility and censorship resistance of crypto.

It is quite easy these days to put your money out of reach of the state, and getting easier every day. That trend will accelerate greatly if the government decide to start giving everyone's savings a haircut.
    I hear the govt has real difficulty tracing it if you have onecoin. The problem is the owners cant find them either!
  • Options

If you have no.mortgage and banks are thieving from customers by offering 0.1% interest on your money,
    creating money is like to be very inflationary ... and you cannot afford to risk the stockmarket...someone like me is gonna get stuffed.... bigtime.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    eristdoof said:

isam said:
    MAybe Covid-19 has caused those deaths in people who had not been tested.
    I’d have thought so. I haven’t actually read the article yet!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,012

If you have no.mortgage and banks are thieving from customers by offering 0.1% interest on your money,
    creating money is like to be very inflationary ... and you cannot afford to risk the stockmarket...someone like me is gonna get stuffed.... bigtime.
    Welcome to holding cash back in the 1970's or in any inflationary environment.

If you don't want risk purchase Swiss Francs.
This discussion has been closed.