Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The media is getting a lot more critical of the government

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342

Trump is a disaster for the US and the rest of us. He must go

Disagree totally, some business acumen in politics get's results. We need it here rather than the standard Humanities graduates whose only working salary has been paid by taxpayers, or even worse lawyers. Do we want Obama/Clinton back no thanks the world suffered enough in the first carnation.
    Always good to get the horticulturalist view of these things.
    Trump is a larger (in every sense) version of Alan Sugar, who has made a career out of serial failure, but strangely ending up *personally* with money out of it.

You've mised up the quotes there - I am not nottingham1969!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    edited April 2020

Disagree totally, some business acumen in politics get's results. We need it here rather than the standard Humanities graduates whose only working salary has been paid by taxpayers, or even worse lawyers. Do we want Obama/Clinton back no thanks the world suffered enough in the first carnation.
    Trump is a larger (in every sense) version of Alan Sugar, who has made a career out of serial failure, but strangely ending up *personally* with money out of it.

I think the quotes have broken.

Again

As in this quote!!!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited April 2020
    Sandpit said:

Reading the blog of the company that does appear legit, seems like they have have been working their socks off and already delivered 10,000s of face shields.

https://innoviamedical.com/protective-equipment-production-expands-globally/

So why are they on Starmer's list, if they're already part of the established PPE supply chain?
    You think they (or the Guardian, for that matter) checked the list before publishing it? The other two companies highlighted suggest they didn't.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    They have opened a new test centre on a separate thread.....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Labour's letter:

https://labour.org.uk/press/dozens-of-companies-offering-ppe-ignored-by-government-labour-reveals/

Can't find an Issa Exchange Ltd in Birmingham, but Companies House has:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08108605

Nature of business (SIC)

46520 - Wholesale of electronic and telecommunications equipment and parts

The second, NETWORK MEDICAL PRODUCTS LIMITED seems legitimate.

The third's business is: 82200 - Activities of call centres
    82990 - Other business support service activities not elsewhere classified

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05970493

I assume someone in the Cabinet Office or the Army is going to call them one by one this afternoon, and ask how many PPE items they have in stock if we send transport for them right now?
    Yes but then you'd have thought someone in government would have responded when these companies first contacted them. As SKS said, since some are now sending kit overseas, some at least must have had it.
    I'll wait and see what the official rebuttal says, but I would take a guess that five minutes of due diligence on each one says that not one of them has ever been a PPE supplier to the government previously, and that they collectively have neither any manufacturing ability nor record of importing such equipment.

They're all a bunch of chancers with no PPE to sell, who are pissed off and going to the press and opposition because the government has seen straight through them.
    Dyson?

Holby City has provided more ventilators and PPE than Dyson

Why didnt the Government do due diligence and spot they were chancers and see straight through them

If only they had taken five minutes of due diligence on them and spotted that they had never been a ventilator supplier to the government previously!!

Meanwhile we have exported Millions of pieces of PPE this week as the Government E m=Mail inbox is full
    They were a well-known and established company, commissioned by the government to help with one of the many parallel-stream research projects into ventilators, some of which are now approved and delivering to the NHS.

Is there any source for PPE meeting NHS specifications actually being exported from the UK abroad? One of the chancers saying that another country bought what his friend of a friend of a friend of a friend who know a Chinese factory manager who could throw some unlabelled crap out of the side door, doesn't count.
    There's a limited number of producers.

There's a limited number of suppliers.

And there's a third group - producers of other things who might be able to change production.

Anyone not in any of those three groups isn't worth dealing with.
  • Options

Trump beat the Clinton and Bush dynasties and you lost to Soubry. Perhaps the word failure has different meanings to some.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I reckon the 100k a day number came from looking at Germany's testing capacity at that time which was about that.

Possibly. I recall Johnson at an early presser riffing around and tossing out both a 100k and a 250k number. Perhaps that was the origin. Loose talk from the boss feeds down to mega stress on subordinates and - ultimately - poor outcomes. A phenomenon I have certainly encountered many times. Bet we all have.
    No the 250k was to do with antibody tests. Boris claim was they would get to 25k antigen tests and the rest antibody. And we now know the government had 9 different antibody test kits evaluated and all were busts.

And this is really where the issue have come from. The scientists were really sold on these antibody test kits and the government went along with it, with no real plan B. If it had worked out, nobody would be saying anything now.

The issue is that nobody in the world has a reliable large scale antibody test kit that can be done in the community, and now the UK stuck scrambling to try and devise a widespread antigen testing system on the fly.
    The hope around mass antibody testing. Yes, I remember that. Given the problems I wonder if this will be rather subsumed now by the efforts for a vaccine?
    Well other countries are doing it, but it is by sending samples back to a lab. The UK are, but again not at the scale of Germany. Nobody has the community kits that are accurate.

However, it does seem like the focus has shifted away from identifying those who have had it, so they can be released back into the world. Rather scientists wanting to see this data as a very important piece of the overall puzzle.

The UK again shouldn't be too slow, otherwise we will still be guessing about level of immunity, for when a second wave comes.
    A point I find fascinating is on the vaccine testing. The crux trial requires both groups, vaccine and placebo, to be exposed to the virus as they go about their normal lives. This will be far more efficient if done while the virus is rampant and there is no lockdown. If it takes place during lockdown with the virus squashed right down, it will take an eternity to get sufficient results to base a conclusion on. So do we lift the lockdown and let the virus rip again in order to facilitate the test and advance the vaccine delivery? Or test it in another country maybe? One outside the developed world even?
    Careful...didn't a France minister or government scientist claim that was what we should be doing....

But more seriously, yes I believe this is a huge problem and why Ebola vaccines weren't completed, because by the time they got it all together, Ebola had burned itself out.
    An Ebola vaccine was eventually approved in the US in December 2019, and several other vaccines had reached stage 2 or stage 3 clinical trials. The Ebola outbreak in west Africa gained widespread attention in March 2014, so the development of this vaccine took over 5 years.

Difficulties in developing a coronavirus vaccine are expected, but it is very likely that there will be significant progress nevertheless. Unlike coffee, vaccine research is not instant.
  • Options

No I would have beaten Soubry. If I had lost to Soubry I would have quietly gone away.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    Shoot down? Flying gunboats is a disturbing new development.
    He means "like dogs".

Those Iranian boats will be shot down like dogs.
    "Get back, I say! Or I will shoot you all like dogs!" - bloke in 'Titanic'.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,702

Scott_xP said:
    So Starmer's first PMQs outing didn't really hit the spot for the PB glitterati. The fake news outlets seemed to like it though.
    You should read the contemporary comments - across the political spectrum positive for Starmer as a refreshing improvement from the dire Corbyn.
This discussion has been closed.