Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Pale Horse. Politics in the shadow of Covid-19

Comments

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

rcs1000 said:

Diamonds Are Forever and Die Another Day were diabolical. The Man with the Golden Gun isn’t far behind - could have been great (and I love the location shots) but ruined by so many things.

A View to A Kill is saved by Christopher Walken.

There is, potentially, a good plot hiding away in Die Another Day.

"The pre credits are good and the scenes in Hong Kong decent.
    And where does that leave us?

UK think he cracked and gave away state secrets, you've got Micheal Madsen as a US agent who thinks Bond cracked, a Korean general who lost his son and Bond trying to find who set him up in Korea (you need to make it slightly clearer in that scene that he got set up by *someone*). And, Bond isn't 100 % sure if he did give away secrets under pressure.

Rewrite Toby Stephens character as UK trying to keep track of what Bond is actually doing, keeping a rivalry between them (friendly turning to deadly - he's there to take Bond out if UK fears turn out to be correct). Keep Ros Pike as the actual traitor - maybe she met the Korean at University or on a fencing tournament or something. The General wants to get revenge on UK/Bond so there's your over-arching plot.

And Madsen? Keep his role ambivalent. He has no friends, only interests. Halle Berry might be the equivalent of Toby Stephens character in this for the US - they're not sure what Madsen is doing either. Or just cut her altogether.

No DNA malarky, no ice castles, no invisible cars. Just a grief stricken old man trying to avenge his son, Bond trying to work out if he is the liability and three or four characters that you just don't know if you trust or not.

If you can't write that into a decent film, then you're useless, frankly."
    My wife loves Die Another Day.

I think its also Brosnan's favourite - his commentary of the film is a delight.
    Then he's an idiot. It is not worthy to buff Goldeneye's shoes.

The Madonna theme tune is much maligned but I think it works as a Bond theme. Less said about the cameo the better.
    Goldeneye is by far his best film.

I think that’s mainly because of Martin Campbell - he got him to act.
    It is a wonderful Bond film, they made sure to add every ingredient that made the films great. By the time the current iteration had worked up to adding all the ingredients, they had gone off. Leading to the stinker that was Spectre.
    To much woke nonsense ruined Bond in the last film. Next one looks worse.

Hence SPECTRE = Android
    Skyfall = IOS
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    edited April 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Poor Hancock - very close to calling Toenails a twat on R4.

That'd normally be the truth. Is it this time?
    He did reveal that in order not to confuse the message there would be no details of post lock down revealed at this time.

More likely no-one can decide whether the cream or jam goes on first until Boris is fully recuperated. Dom did not appoint the Cabinet to think for themselves. The government's failure to get a grip will be ruthlessly exploited by Starmer unless Sir Keith Kieth started by announcing he did not want to criticise the government. Oh.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Is James Bond that franchise that is never as good as it never was?

A bit like Dr Who*, for spies...

*Dr Who has reappeared in BBC iPlayer archive section with the first modern series.

It’s also on Netflix.
    Er... So you don't have to accept the free version, you can pay a subscription to watch it? Sounds great!
    Much easier to search for episodes on Netflix than on iPlayer.

(Netflix is actually cheaper than the BBC for most of us as well.)
    You also need a TV licence to watch BBC programmes on Netflix though.
    No you don't.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

*Dr Who has reappeared in BBC iPlayer archive section with the first modern series.

It’s also on Netflix.
    Er... So you don't have to accept the free version, you can pay a subscription to watch it? Sounds great!
    Much easier to search for episodes on Netflix than on iPlayer.

(Netflix is actually cheaper than the BBC for most of us as well.)
    You also need a TV licence to watch BBC programmes on Netflix though.
    No you don’t. Any more than you need a TV licence to watch them on DVD.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    If our treatment of Covid-19 becomes more effective over time (As it should as medics learn more), deaths will no longer have the constant probability to determine infection rates ?

Something to take care of when looking to see if we're past the peak.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

He did reveal that in order not to confuse the message there would be no details of post lock down revealed at this time.

More likely no-one can decide whether the cream or jam goes on first until Boris is fully recuperated. Dom did not appoint the Cabinet to think for themselves. The government's failure to get a grip will be ruthlessly exploited by Starmer unless Sir Keith Kieth started by announcing he did not want to criticise the government. Oh.
    He probably didn’t want anyone who was his intellectual superior around. Certainly that’s what his treatment of Javid and various SPADS indicates.

This naturally severely limited his choice, as moss is not eligible to serve in the cabinet.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    The first national election since the virus produces a landslide for the incumbents:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/16/south-koreas-ruling-party-wins-election-landslide-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

- which is fair enough, since they actually seem to have cracked the virus without doing anything more intrusive than app-tracking. I think British voters would opt for that in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

The Prof seems to have decided for the government.

Professor Neil Ferguson, whose modelling has guided Downing Street’s crisis strategy, this morning told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that when the UK lockdown does eventually end, social distancing measures are likely to remain in place “indefinitely” until a coronavirus vaccine can be rolled out.

Ferguson warned that it would not be possible to relax the lockdown until a significant infrastructure was in place.

He said the UK’s ability to come out of lockdown would “depend on how quickly case numbers go down”. But it would also require an emphasis on scaling up testing and contact tracing, because if measures were relaxed without a strong plan in place there was too much risk of a resurgence in cases.

Ferguson said there were some first signs that social distancing measure in the UK may be working, with trends such as the number of calls to 999, 111 and admissions to hospital beginning to flatten.

But he said more needed to be done to ensure the UK could leave lockdown safety. He called for a “command and control centre”, and suggested that any tracing provided by mobile phone apps would have to be supplemented by a “small army” of people testing and tracing.

“I would like to see action accelerated, decisions need to be accelerated and real progress made,” he said....

Another three weeks, at least.

Thankfully, it’s not up to him.
    You sure ?
    He’s not the only source of advice to the Government, and the Government decide.
    I have the strong impression that in Boris’ absence he is driving policy.
    I could be wrong, but...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

I'm hosting a virtual quiz night on Saturday. Both Americans and Brits will be participating.

It would be great if everyone shared their favorite quiz question.

Thanks!

People ask for me, wait for me and hold on to me, but I am never the best. What am I?
    Time?
    That was my guess originally. But not right.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Professor Neil Ferguson, whose modelling has guided Downing Street’s crisis strategy, this morning told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that when the UK lockdown does eventually end, social distancing measures are likely to remain in place “indefinitely” until a coronavirus vaccine can be rolled out.

Ferguson warned that it would not be possible to relax the lockdown until a significant infrastructure was in place.

He said the UK’s ability to come out of lockdown would “depend on how quickly case numbers go down”. But it would also require an emphasis on scaling up testing and contact tracing, because if measures were relaxed without a strong plan in place there was too much risk of a resurgence in cases.

Ferguson said there were some first signs that social distancing measure in the UK may be working, with trends such as the number of calls to 999, 111 and admissions to hospital beginning to flatten.

But he said more needed to be done to ensure the UK could leave lockdown safety. He called for a “command and control centre”, and suggested that any tracing provided by mobile phone apps would have to be supplemented by a “small army” of people testing and tracing.

“I would like to see action accelerated, decisions need to be accelerated and real progress made,” he said....

You sure ?
    He’s not the only source of advice to the Government, and the Government decide.
    There's nothing in that quote that seems even debatable -

1) COVID19 is with until a vaccine or everyone gets it
    2) 1 means that the only way to slow it down is making it harder to jump between people.
    3) 2 means - distancing and contact tracing
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

I'm hosting a virtual quiz night on Saturday. Both Americans and Brits will be participating.

Thanks!

People ask for me, wait for me and hold on to me, but I am never the best. What am I?
    Vain.
    Interesting, but no.

The last phrase is the clue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

He probably didn’t want anyone who was his intellectual superior around. Certainly that’s what his treatment of Javid and various SPADS indicates.

This naturally severely limited his choice, as moss is not eligible to serve in the cabinet.
    I like Javid but he had flaws (his speaking was not the best, very monotone) and I see no evidence that Rishi Sunak is worse than Javid intellect-wise or in any other respect.

In fact I think Sunak has faced the challenges of this better than Javid would have.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Since the start of the 20th century there have been 3 UK PMs whose first name was James. James Callahan was not one of them. Who were the 3?

Bit unfair on the americans maybe.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I like Javid but he had flaws (his speaking was not the best, very monotone) and I see no evidence that Rishi Sunak is worse than Javid intellect-wise or in any other respect.

In fact I think Sunak has faced the challenges of this better than Javid would have.
    Here’s another question then. Does Sunak think for himself, or do what he’s told?

You may quite fairly answer that we can’t tell yet.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Hancock’s statement that even discussing how we might come out of lockdown is a “distraction” is patronising and wrong.

Yep. He's going for the don't you worry your pretty little head approach. Plus sounded really rattled.

He and @Chris not having a good pandemic.
    He knows the discussion about how we come out is being discussed by the wider Cabinet and backbenchers.

Then say just that. I get that just to breathe the words end of lockdown will send any number of people into the parks for a picnic but they have got to manage that. By far the larger number of people want some light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Who is JackW?

(Note. Don't answer that, because I'll have to ban you.)

People would be very surprised if they knew.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

This week - watch the cases drop
    Next week - ditto - prepare for long haul, review next week
    Week after - Boris back - explain first steps including back to school after VE day.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

Nigelb said:

Quite. Why doesn't he fuck off? Great that he can do sums - so can a Casio c

rcs1000 said:

Diamonds Are Forever and Die Another Day were diabolical. The Man with the Golden Gun isn’t far behind - could have been great (and I love the location shots) but ruined by so many things.

UK think he cracked and gave away state secrets, you've got Micheal Madsen as a US agent who thinks Bond cracked, a Korean general who lost his son and Bond trying to find who set him up in Korea (you need to make it slightly clearer in that scene that he got set up by *someone*). And, Bond isn't 100 % sure if he did give away secrets under pressure.

Rewrite Toby Stephens character as UK trying to keep track of what Bond is actually doing, keeping a rivalry between them (friendly turning to deadly - he's there to take Bond out if UK fears turn out to be correct). Keep Ros Pike as the actual traitor - maybe she met the Korean at University or on a fencing tournament or something. The General wants to get revenge on UK/Bond so there's your over-arching plot.

And Madsen? Keep his role ambivalent. He has no friends, only interests. Halle Berry might be the equivalent of Toby Stephens character in this for the US - they're not sure what Madsen is doing either. Or just cut her altogether.

No DNA malarky, no ice castles, no invisible cars. Just a grief stricken old man trying to avenge his son, Bond trying to work out if he is the liability and three or four characters that you just don't know if you trust or not.

The Madonna theme tune is much maligned but I think it works as a Bond theme. Less said about the cameo the better.

It is a wonderful Bond film, they made sure to add every ingredient that made the films great. By the time the current iteration had worked up to adding all the ingredients, they had gone off. Leading to the stinker that was Spectre.
    Skyfall is the one I don’t get.

I think it’s hugely overrated.
    I don't like it either. Complete pants.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Here’s another question then. Does Sunak think for himself, or do what he’s told?

Those two are not separate circes on a Venn Diagram.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    What do Richard the Lionheart and Winnie the Pooh have in common?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    Pulpstar said:

If our treatment of Covid-19 becomes more effective over time (As it should as medics learn more), deaths will no longer have the constant probability to determine infection rates ?

Possibly why the medical authorities are already using hospital admissions as their metric of what is happening.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

My balls are black and blue. I've hit them with a mallet. What am I playing?
    Croquet.

The most vicious and political game know to mankind
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Hancock’s statement that even discussing how we might come out of lockdown is a “distraction” is patronising and wrong.

Yep. He's going for the don't you worry your pretty little head approach. Plus sounded really rattled.

Almost like they have a strategy but you don't like it.

You may prefer a government that doesn't tell you what's going on because they don't trust you. I don't.
  • Options

Both enjoyed beheading saracens ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Who is JackW?

(Note. Don't answer that, because I'll have to ban you.)

Do we know if he’s OK? He hasn’t been around for a while.
    I haven't seen his obituary, and his wiki entry doesn't say that he has died

(although the daft old fool probably edits that himself)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    @rcs100 - my favourite quiz question is the one which was asked here a few weeks back about the third most populous island in the British Isles, but you don't want to be making a whole quiz out of questions that people won't get. Therefore, I will advance a quiz in a question my wife set last week: not too difficult, but not something I had ever thought about before: what is the only country to be crossed by both the equator and the tropic of Capricorn?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    This virus loves cities. It thrives on all that proximity, that multiple use of common surfaces and places with restricted ventilation. It’s also just a bit racist with a particular enthusiasm for BAME victims. In London the UK has the largest conurbation in Europe. Just as New York has been devastated in the US we, as one of the most densely populated, multi racial countries in Europe, we were never going to have this easy.

Other densely populated countries such as Belgium are struggling for the same reasons. I think that it’s a bit silly to suggest that this is government incompetence. It’s where we are and what we have to deal with. It makes ending the lockdown more difficult and the consequences of getting it wrong particularly brutal. But it’s where we are.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

He knows the discussion about how we come out is being discussed by the wider Cabinet and backbenchers.

Then say just that. I get that just to breathe the words end of lockdown will send any number of people into the parks for a picnic but they have got to manage that. By far the larger number of people want some light at the end of the tunnel.
    Maybe he is waiting for a day when it is pissing down and forecast to stay that way for a week.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

ydoethur said:

What was the last sentence spoken in.gone with the wind

Tomorrow is another day.
    I thought it was After all tomorrow is another day
    Which comedian spoofed Bond with tomorrow is never yesterday?
    Who were the first two actors to play James Bond on the BBC?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Since the start of the 20th century there have been 3 UK PMs whose first name was James. James Callahan was not one of them. Who were the 3?

Ramsey Mac and Harold Wilson were two of them.You're not counting Balfour, surely?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,394

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It’s also on Netflix.
    Which versions free in your eyes?

The BBC costs far, far more than Netflix. If you're on a tight budget then getting Netflix is much cheaper as well as much better value for money. The BBC is a luxury more than Netflix.
    It is true on the face of it that a Netflix subscription is cheaper than a BBC license, but you need to compare like with like.

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Maybe he is waiting for a day when it is pissing down and forecast to stay that way for a week.
    Good point. Wasn't at all impressed by him this morning. Under all scenarios (have strategy don't want it disclosed/don't have strategy/disagree on strategy/disagree on whether to have a strategy/etc) he didn't give me confidence in the government as a competent entity.
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Ramsey Mac and Harold Wilson were two of them.You're not counting Balfour, surely?
    Gordon Brown.
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

That's ridiculous, they didn't play Bond on the BBC did they?

Or am I getting the posts mixed up?
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Gordon Brown.
    Of course. Silly OldKC
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    TGOHF666 said:

Both enjoyed beheading saracens ?
    A A Milne went in some bizarre directions.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

The message when we do come out of lockdown has to remain: "This thing is still out there - and this thing can still kill you." Nobody with ANY symptoms should leave the house. Everybody that leaves the house needs to wear a mask. I don't know whether we will have enough masks for the end of April? Those who can work from home should continue to do so. Those who can't will worry about using public transport. Everyone with a mask needs to be the norm for travellers to feel less ill at ease. Plenty won't have a job to go back to, depsite the best efforts of government.
    That will obviously not look normal.

I'm not sure how different any of the first stages of any return to "normal" will look. Some shops will re-open - but will people go there? Pubs, cinemas, clubs, theatres, concert halls - they will remain closed. Restaurants with well-spaced tables? Maybe. You can resume seeing friends again - but will you? "This thing is still out there - and this thing can still kill you." How badly do you want to catch up on their gossip of how their life under lockdown was, er, just the same as yours? To hear how they probably don't have a job next month. What an uplifting trip out that will be....

But schools can re-open. That will be a change. A return to normal. Building sites can get back to building offices no-one needs, homes no-one can afford. We can - maybe - go out in our cars without a police drone tailing us. We can - maybe - take a drive in a National Park. But it will still feel like a life devoid of fun.

Yes please. Social distancing will have to continue for a long time. We can get used to having to space out in queues - we're British. It'll be phased of course. That's fine - so lets plan it. We will have some droogs who ignore it, and they can be dealt with. But we need something to work towards.
    I’m baffled (genuinely) at why so much of the country favours such restrictive measures for such a long time and enthusiastically looks forward to policing them in others.

I’m increasingly coming round to @edmundintokyo’s view: the British hate freedom.
    The British hate OTHER PEOPLE having freedom.

I think it is partly a feature of population density, and of being the first industrialised society.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Those two are not separate circes on a Venn Diagram.
    Holy moly!

A Venn diagram is always drawn the same way irrespective of whether some, all or none of its members fall inside the overlap.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Good point. Wasn't at all impressed by him this morning. Under all scenarios (have strategy don't want it disclosed/don't have strategy/disagree on strategy/disagree on whether to have a strategy/etc) he didn't give me confidence in the government as a competent entity.
    Do you realise how tired he must be. He must be desperate to tell his interviewers to get stuffed.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Four teams have won three consecutive top flight league titles (i.e. Division 1/Premier League):

Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Man Utd

Who's the other?
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

James Gordon Brown.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Do you realise how tired he must be. He must be desperate to tell his interviewers to get stuffed.
    He very nearly did this morning.

And as for tired? Heat...kitchen...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    TGOHF666 said:

rcs1000 said:

To much woke nonsense ruined Bond in the last film. Next one looks worse.

Hence SPECTRE = Android
    Skyfall = IOS
    It's like arguing which is better out of (insert two crap things here). Skyfall was self-indulgent crap. Who cares if Bond's house gets blown up and him in it? The outcome is meant to matter to the world. And Spectre was just an amateurish parody of a 1960's Bond film. Base that just blew up at the drop of a hat when a few bullets got fired. Baddies that sit round a big table. Craptacular.

I do realise I sound like our Malc in the above remarks.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Gordon Brown.
    It shows how bad the term "first name" is. It used to be more common than it is now for people to be known by other names, most of those I knew personally are now quite old or dead, though even now we have Boris. (And I gather it is still the case in the Muslim world where the name Mohammed is so common as to be practically useless for distinguishing people.)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    DavidL said:

This virus loves cities. It thrives on all that proximity, that multiple use of common surfaces and places with restricted ventilation. It’s also just a bit racist with a particular enthusiasm for BAME victims. In London the UK has the largest conurbation in Europe. Just as New York has been devastated in the US we, as one of the most densely populated, multi racial countries in Europe, we were never going to have this easy.

Other densely populated countries such as Belgium are struggling for the same reasons. I think that it’s a bit silly to suggest that this is government incompetence. It’s where we are and what we have to deal with. It makes ending the lockdown more difficult and the consequences of getting it wrong particularly brutal. But it’s where we are.

If the government is to be criticized, it is for not shutting down travel a lot earlier. As you say, we are at more risk due to our population density, so we should be hyper-sensitive to this sort of thing.

But Alastair is far more understanding of the government on that score. Can't think why.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Brown is another.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

To the nearest billion -and between all these firms- how much were the shareholders of all these firms bailed out:

RBS, Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley in the UK
    Lehman Brothers in the US

Zero?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Cookie said:

The message when we do come out of lockdown has to remain: "This thing is still out there - and this thing can still kill you." Nobody with ANY symptoms should leave the house. Everybody that leaves the house needs to wear a mask. I don't know whether we will have enough masks for the end of April? Those who can work from home should continue to do so. Those who can't will worry about using public transport. Everyone with a mask needs to be the norm for travellers to feel less ill at ease. Plenty won't have a job to go back to, depsite the best efforts of government.
    That will obviously not look normal.

I'm not sure how different any of the first stages of any return to "normal" will look. Some shops will re-open - but will people go there? Pubs, cinemas, clubs, theatres, concert halls - they will remain closed. Restaurants with well-spaced tables? Maybe. You can resume seeing friends again - but will you? "This thing is still out there - and this thing can still kill you." How badly do you want to catch up on their gossip of how their life under lockdown was, er, just the same as yours? To hear how they probably don't have a job next month. What an uplifting trip out that will be....

But schools can re-open. That will be a change. A return to normal. Building sites can get back to building offices no-one needs, homes no-one can afford. We can - maybe - go out in our cars without a police drone tailing us. We can - maybe - take a drive in a National Park. But it will still feel like a life devoid of fun.

Yes please. Social distancing will have to continue for a long time. We can get used to having to space out in queues - we're British. It'll be phased of course. That's fine - so lets plan it. We will have some droogs who ignore it, and they can be dealt with. But we need something to work towards.
    I’m baffled (genuinely) at why so much of the country favours such restrictive measures for such a long time and enthusiastically looks forward to policing them in others.

I’m increasingly coming round to @edmundintokyo’s view: the British hate freedom.
    The British hate OTHER PEOPLE having freedom.

I think it is partly a feature of population density, and of being the first industrialised society.
    The British just love curtain-twitching and casting moral judgment. Hence, the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Four teams have won three consecutive top flight league titles (i.e. Division 1/Premier League):

Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Man Utd

Who's the other?

I would ask my which member of the Royal family has played in a Cup Final at Wembley question but it doesn't work written down.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Browsing Betfair this morning I can see that, at some point, someone had £360 matched laying Michelle Obama as VP pick at 4.8, and I'm physically sick with envy.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Man Utd

Who's the other?

Huddersfield.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

What was the last sentence spoken in.gone with the wind

Tomorrow is another day.
    I thought it was After all tomorrow is another day
    Which comedian spoofed Bond with tomorrow is never yesterday?
    Who were the first two actors to play James Bond on the BBC?
    I know Bob Holness, along with playing the sax solo on Baker Street, played James Bond in a radio play.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    malcolmg said:

Have our resident jingoistic Scotland haters had large slices of humble pie yet. With Thatcher is was milk, Hancock is the PPE snatcher.
    Carlotta will be gnashing her teeth yet again at being proved to be a diddy once more with her pathetic support of her Lords and Masters.

https://talkingupscotlandtwo.com/2020/04/16/the-pressure-that-caused-hancocks-panicked-response-to-grab-the-ppe-for-his-england/

You really should go to more reliable sources:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/1268902/an-in-depth-look-at-a-cross-border-coronavirus-row-as-nicola-sturgeon-accepts-ppe-came-from-english-stocks/

Nicola Sturgeon has accepted assurances PPE firms are not overlooking Scotland as she conceded supplies at the centre of a cross-border row were from the English national stockpile.
  • Options
    Anyone else watched Quiz over the last three nights? About the £1m, the coughs and the Major. I see the Major and his wife have launched another appeal, and that play was part of the case for it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

What has the government got against picnics anyway? If a family does not eat together outside, it will eat together inside. This is part of the problem with the regulations: there is no underlying rationale so they seem arbitrary and confuse police and public alike.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Gordon Brown.
    It shows how bad the term "first name" is. It used to be more common than it is now for people to be known by other names, most of those I knew personally are now quite old or dead, though even now we have Boris. (And I gather it is still the case in the Muslim world where the name Mohammed is so common as to be practically useless for distinguishing people.)
    My grandfather Ben died a decade or so ago. It was only then that we discovered his actual name was Barnet, and he had just gone by Ben. When I say 'we' discovered, I'm including his wife and children. Quite how he managed the wedding day I'll never know.
  • Options

Anyone else watched Quiz over the last three nights? About the £1m, the coughs and the Major. I see the Major and his wife have launched another appeal, and that play was part of the case for it.

SPOILERZZZZZZZZZZZ

Surely during the lockdown the greatest crime is to tell people what happened in any particular mini-series.

Of course I vaguely remember the details but I am looking forward to seeing the dramatisation.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It’s also on Netflix.

The BBC costs far, far more than Netflix. If you're on a tight budget then getting Netflix is much cheaper as well as much better value for money. The BBC is a luxury more than Netflix.
    It is true on the face of it that a Netflix subscription is cheaper than a BBC license, but you need to compare like with like.

And what is like for like?

Like for like they are both TV subscription services and the reality is the BBC is the more expensive of the two. There is a reason ever increasing numbers of people, especially young people on a budget, are abandoning the BBC and choosing Netflix and other budget-friendly alternatives.

For someone to refer to the BBC as "free" is either naive or ignorant.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Possibly why the medical authorities are already using hospital admissions as their metric of what is happening.
    And what does that graph look like?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

More pooling and sharing by our great union..........
    https://twitter.com/BlueleafCare/status/1241288508423180289

I suppose the concept of Public Health Scotland passed you by?
    Not much point when Tories are keeping everything for England. They will only sell them to English NHS and care homes, you lost your glasses.

Its you and the Nat Onal that needs glasses. Only 3 out of 2,200 products could not be shipped to Scotland because PHE owned them and are not licensed to distribute in Scotland
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Pagan2 said:

quiz question
    Name the american emperor that issued a decree that congress should be dissolved by force

Is this a 'what will happen in the future' kinda question?
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Gordon Brown.
    “Boris” is a public persona. He prefers to be called Alexander or Al by those who know him. Jennifer Arcuri had him saved in her phone as Alexander the Great.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SPOILERZZZZZZZZZZZ

Surely during the lockdown the greatest crime is to tell people what happened in any particular mini-series.

Of course I vaguely remember the details but I am looking forward to seeing the dramatisation.
    https://youtu.be/lvnFQtnCNo4
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    The fact is for those under 45 Covid 19 is no more deadly than seasonal flu, once the peak has passed the focus should be on gettimg them back to school, college and work as soon as possible, using mass testing to try and keep the spread under control and still keeping prudent social distancing.

Then ultimately the focus should shift to just keeping those over 70 who are most at risk indoors with lockdown ended but the advice to them being to stay indoors as much as possible until a vaccine is found or the virus dies out.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Time?
    A second :-)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It’s also on Netflix.

Like for like they are both TV subscription services and the reality is the BBC is the more expensive of the two. There is a reason ever increasing numbers of people, especially young people on a budget, are abandoning the BBC and choosing Netflix and other budget-friendly alternatives.

Isn't Netflix's basic plan limited to a single device, so cheaper for an individual but not necessarily so for larger families?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Not much point when Tories are keeping everything for England. They will only sell them to English NHS and care homes, you lost your glasses.

Its you and the Nat Onal that needs glasses. Only 3 out of 2,200 products could not be shipped to Scotland because PHE owned them and are not licensed to distribute in Scotland
    Poor old Malc. Still obsessing about this.

Even Sturgeon and Freeman have given up on it.

Try reading this, and stop talking cobblers.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2148454/an-in-depth-look-at-a-cross-border-coronavirus-row-as-nicola-sturgeon-accepts-ppe-at-centre-of-cross-border-row-came-from-english-stocks/
  • Options
    Absolutely. And yesterday the Scottish government explained that they were simply not able to make the investment in mental health that they had promised because of the money spent on CV. Huge mistake. So many lives lost, so many more turned into a living hell. We need that investment more than ever.

As an example the overlap between those who die of a drug overdose and those receiving (inadequate) mental health treatment is frightening and a major reason we have the worst record for drug deaths in Europe. Self medicating by desperately unhappy people.
  • Options
    A spotlight shone on an aspect of Singapore that doesn't get much exposure:

Singapore, which has been praised for controlling the virus, sees a record increase in new infections.

Singapore announced a record jump in coronavirus cases on Wednesday evening, with most of the 447 new confirmed cases coming from crowded dormitories for migrant laborers. While Singapore has been lauded for its rigorous contact-tracing program, which quickly identified clusters of local transmission, the coronavirus spread quickly through residences for migrant laborers, where up to 20 people are crammed in each room with shared kitchens and bathrooms.

Nearly half of Singapore’s roughly 3,700 coronavirus cases are among low-wage migrant workers, who have built the gleaming, modern city-state. About 200,000 such workers, many from India and Bangladesh, have been quarantined to their dormitories, with healthy residents gradually being transferred to other housing to prevent community transmission.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/world/coronavirus-news.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus-national&variant=show&region=TOP_BANNER&context=storyline_menu#link-5522316b
  • Options
    Victoria Coren Mitchell on why James Bond is a terrible wazzock.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WiXmPdd3E
  • Options
    I have little doubt but that this is a serious issue, one amongst many
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

And he is a Captain

He's not now. Only OF-3 and higher use their rank after discharge. Captain (in the Army) = OF2.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It’s also on Netflix.

I am all for a voluntary BBC subscription service but you have to look at the BBC's constituent parts:

1) News
    2) Drama
    3) Comedy
    4) Children's programming
    5) Sport
    6) Podcasts
    7) Weather
    8) Regional TV
    9) Regional radio
    10) Quiz shows
    11) Gardening shows
    12) BBC CYMRU
    13) BBC Scotland
    14) BBC Northern Ireland
    15) Films
    16) Er...
    17) That's probably not it.

And then make a comparison. No point just saying, well Netflix has excellent drama and therefore it's worth as much as the BBC.
  • Options
    The Queen should promote Captain Tom to the rank of Field Marshal.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2148454/an-in-depth-look-at-a-cross-border-coronavirus-row-as-nicola-sturgeon-accepts-ppe-at-centre-of-cross-border-row-came-from-english-stocks/
    'Why are these people obsessing about something that I'm still posting about? It's distracting me from my 473rd post on why no one should pay any attention to The National.'
  • Options
    Found out yesterday that my 19 year old son is self harming. For his generation this is agony. Can't go out. Can't see people. Can't do stuff. Can't even go to college as a distraction. A big fat blank where a future should be. His mum then more in a flap about the risk of him going to uni in September because the virus. For me that will be one of many risks of going to uni including the traditional getting dangerously drunk and waking up in bramble bushes at 3am with no idea where you are or how you got there, have lost your glasses so can't see great and appear to have someone else's hooded top on backwards...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

If the government is to be criticized, it is for not shutting down travel a lot earlier. As you say, we are at more risk due to our population density, so we should be hyper-sensitive to this sort of thing.

But Alastair is far more understanding of the government on that score. Can't think why.
    But it’s tricky. The economic consequences are horrific as we are seeing. We can only do this for a very limited time. We need to choose the time it is most effective. We were probably a bit slow for London but a bit fast for everywhere else. In Tayside, pop 480k, we have so far had 840 cases recorded. When we end the lockdown we will be in a similar position to that we were in before it started with a similar level of vulnerability.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It’s also on Netflix.

Isn't Netflix's basic plan limited to a single device, so cheaper for an individual but not necessarily so for larger families?
    That's not the only plan that's cheaper than the Licence Fee. All Netflix subscription options are cheaper than the Licence Fee.

The Basic Plan is £5.99 per month (1 user)
    The Standard Plan is £8.99 per month (multiple users, 2 at a time)
    The Family Plan is £11.99 per month.

The Licence Fee is £13.13 per month.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    Blue_rog said:

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Time?
    Yes I'm pondering about that... do you hold on to a second though?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    DavidL said:

The keys it seems are (1) enter lockdown early to get control of the epidemic; (2) get lots of testing in place; (3) selectively ease off restrictions on a risk controlled basis.

The UK mucked up (1) but we can't do anything about that now. (2) the UK is not doing well on, but needs to sort out. (3) still to come.
  • Options

The Queen can give Captain Tom one of Quitter Harry's old uniforms, replete with sashes and gongs. What rank would that be?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

'Why are these people obsessing about something that I'm still posting about? It's distracting me from my 473rd post on why no one should pay any attention to The National.'
    We're just pointing out that there is quality journalism in Scotland. You got a problem with that?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

Found out yesterday that my 19 year old son is self harming. For his generation this is agony. Can't go out. Can't see people. Can't do stuff. Can't even go to college as a distraction. A big fat blank where a future should be. His mum then more in a flap about the risk of him going to uni in September because the virus. For me that will be one of many risks of going to uni including the traditional getting dangerously drunk and waking up in bramble bushes at 3am with no idea where you are or how you got there, have lost your glasses so can't see great and appear to have someone else's hooded top on backwards...
    Sorry to read this Rochdale. This really is v tough on a lot of people. The mental costs of this lockdown have to be weighed in the balance with all the other arguments. I wonder whether it is in central government, where it appears now that many of them have had the virus and emerged so they can be back in work.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

SPOILERZZZZZZZZZZZ

https://youtu.be/lvnFQtnCNo4
    Tecwen Whittock? I had forgotten, or didn't know that. At least he's not claiming to be the Duke of York.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Pioneers, very sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    The BBC needs a kick up the arse.
    It’s news operation is complacent. It’s drama is too worthy. Much of its output is very predictable.

But scrap the BBC? Fuck off.
    It’s a great national asset, like the NHS, the monarchy, the armed forces, and the National Trust.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited April 2020

That is very upsetting news. I am so sorry and hope he can get help
  • Options

The Queen can give Captain Tom one of Quitter Harry's old uniforms, replete with sashes and gongs. What rank would that be?
    Major.

To think Brenda thought ‘promoting’ Prince Andrew to a full Admiral was a good idea.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

The BBC needs a kick up the arse.
    It’s news operation is complacent. It’s drama is too worthy. Much of its output is very predictable.

But scrap the BBC? Fuck off.
    It’s a great national asset, like the NHS, the monarchy, the armed forces, and the National Trust.

+1
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    DavidL said:

Absolutely. And yesterday the Scottish government explained that they were simply not able to make the investment in mental health that they had promised because of the money spent on CV. Huge mistake. So many lives lost, so many more turned into a living hell. We need that investment more than ever.

As an example the overlap between those who die of a drug overdose and those receiving (inadequate) mental health treatment is frightening and a major reason we have the worst record for drug deaths in Europe. Self medicating by desperately unhappy people.
    We must also remember those people whose lives will be shortened as hospitals are all but closed to just Ciovid 19 patients and all other surgeries are being delayed indefinitely.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

We're just pointing out that there is quality journalism in Scotland. You got a problem with that?
    Hey, it's a free country.
    One that you don't live in, but nevertheless it's always interesting to have a view of Scotland from the 1960s.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    rkrkrk said:

Blue_rog said:

Charles said:

rkrkrk said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hello.

Thanks!

Time?
    Yes I'm pondering about that... do you hold on to a second though?
    Hold on a second, you may be right :)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It’s also on Netflix.

I am all for a voluntary BBC subscription service but you have to look at the BBC's constituent parts:

1) News
    2) Drama
    3) Comedy
    4) Children's programming
    5) Sport
    6) Podcasts
    7) Weather
    8) Regional TV
    9) Regional radio
    10) Quiz shows
    11) Gardening shows
    12) BBC CYMRU
    13) BBC Scotland
    14) BBC Northern Ireland
    15) Films
    16) Er...
    17) That's probably not it.

And then make a comparison. No point just saying, well Netflix has excellent drama and therefore it's worth as much as the BBC.
    Do you think Netflix is just drama?

BBC is definitely better at 1 - but ever increasing amounts of people get their News from neither.

Netflix is much better than the BBC at 2, 3, 4 and 15

5 the BBC is better than Netflix but much worse than rivals that care for Sport (if you care for sport you'd be looking at other options)

Weather there are plenty of great websites to visit to get weather info - not sure why you need a TV to do that.

I couldn't care less about 6 through to 14 so couldn't comment on them.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    Nigelb said:

You cannot say social distancing measures will apply until something that does not exist, and might never exist, is rolled out. I would like someone to ask how long we are expected to wait for a vaccine and at what point we assume one is not viable.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

That`s awful - so sorry to hear this.

You say: "A big fat blank where a future should be". Yes, that`s how I feel about my daughters, ages 14 and 16. It`s so sad, and isn`t being factored in. An important example of the loss of freedoms aspect of this crisis.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    edited April 2020

I watched it. and knew his £1m question. but not some earlier ones.

edited extra bit.
  • Options

Missed all that. Freshers week at a small college 40 years ago gave me my first taste of wine, at my first cheese and wine party, though I did not much like the taste and switched to orange juice. The pairing of cheese and pineapple seemed a bit odd too, though it might be all right on round bread, I suppose. Later, as a chemistry student locked in the lab each afternoon and writing up experiments each evening, it did seem that the arts students were having a better time of it, as they spread themselves in the gardens, reading books under the shade of trees.
This discussion has been closed.