Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joe Biden’s cognitive condition is increasingly being question

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Floater said:

Report from the shopping front line in North Essex - Car parks mainly empty - Iceland only 6 people - well spaced out - staff member at door ensuring social distancing and plenty of stock - including eggs.

Great news - people need to settle down and wait it out.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited March 2020
    Honi soit key mal y pense?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    That interview is not helped by the small delay caused by the video conferencing software, several times the interviewer and interviewee start spaking and then stop at the same time.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Charles said:

How come the Prince of Wales met the criteria for having a test? Is being Royal on the list?

Key worker?
    If we,re so worried about key workers, how come Timpsons has closed ?

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

eadric said:

eadric said:

egg said:

Kill All Sparrows! Had unforeseen consequences. It was reaction to a genuine issue, not wanting anyone to starve.

Shut the Economy! A reaction to protect the NHS, under 20k first wave covid deaths not spike of 500 thousand. But what are the unforeseen consequences?

The obvious one is further wave of panic buying making first wave look like vicars tea party, as people realise with manufacturing stopped, stocks going down, they won’t see a toilet role or tin of beans for many months to come.

Another is what you did want to keep going has to stop due to lack of resource or ability to repair. Do we rely on resource supply lines important to power generation, water purification? Oil refineries?

Will refuse start piling up, not a good sight in pandemic?

Any others you can think of?

Relatedly, here’s some optimism from Germany (Holland is reporting the same slowing)

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1242752772178677761?s=21

If we end up with numbers like a bad flu outbreak, there will be the mother of all rows between those saying We shouldn’t have shut the economy for a flu, and those saying It’s because we shut the economy that it feels like a flu

And then we will all wait for that second wave in the winter.
    A bad flu outbreak is around 50,000 extra deaths. Do you think we will reach that?
    Flu kills 8,000 a year, and 13,000 in a bad year

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu
    Yet again I will post this ONS graph

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/highestnumberofexcesswinterdeathssince19992000/2015-11-25
    You seem to be conflating two things. Not all excess winter deaths will be flu related. Most flu deaths will probably also be excess winter deaths, but the same is not true in reverse.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2020

Strategy is to reduce multiple SKUs where its a choice of pack sizes (i.e. 500m, 1 pint, 1l, 2l, 4l etc) then reduce adjacent SKUs (do the fewer people who buy 1% milk actually need that or will they buy semi-skimmed). Longer runs of fewer SKUs means less downtime for changeovers & cleandowns so more production.

Every factory will have a maximum capacity based on optimal make plans which often gets whittled away by customer orders. I've worked in a business where orders would increase massively in hot weather and we would tell the retailers which SKUs would be switched off to prioritise the higher volume ones. They're used to working this way.

Yep. My primary client base struggles with manufacturing at times - they need GMP facilities, but are usually short runs produced on a campaign basis, which the big CMOs hate
  • Options

Following on from my post about reduced choice it will be fascinating to see the long term impact on some brands. A lot of brand owners spend £lots pushing the image and equity of their brand so that you pay more for it vs competitors. What we have clearly seen in recent weeks is people switching away from their regular product to alternatives based on whats available.

When consumers discover that a lot of brand USPs only really exist in the Marketing Director's ego...

How the likes of Nurofen and Beechams get away away with charging 4 quid for a pack of painkillers has always amazed me.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

Ferguson says that, under the policies that were in force earlier, the NHS would still have been overwhelmed - even with the extra critical beds available.

Now, in the light of the new measures, he says he thinks in some areas intensive care units will get very close to capacity. But over, across the nation as a whole, he says he is reasonably confident that the NHS will have the resources to copy.

Lets hope he is right.

If he is, we as a nation will have been very lucky, and will have been given the all mother of wake up calls.
    Nah they won't. What will happen is that the thickies amongst us, who struggle to understand counterfactuals, will claim that it was all overblown nonsense. They will cite spurious death figures for seasonal flu and will forget that we have had the biggest peace time intervention to minimise deaths, as much as practically possible.

I have seen it done here repeatedly over the last few days whilst I've been trying to recover from this dreadful virus and it is infuriating to read.

Simpletons like Hitchens plant brain worms into society knowing full well that if they were actually in a position to do anything, they would never have the luxury to take the position they espouse.

It's morally repugnant.
  • Options

Charles said:

How come the Prince of Wales met the criteria for having a test? Is being Royal on the list?

Key worker?

We did all those jokes yesterday. Please, God, not again!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    @GideonWise - are you feeling better now?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,274

Ferguson says that, under the policies that were in force earlier, the NHS would still have been overwhelmed - even with the extra critical beds available.

Now, in the light of the new measures, he says he thinks in some areas intensive care units will get very close to capacity. But over, across the nation as a whole, he says he is reasonably confident that the NHS will have the resources to copy.

Lets hope he is right.

If he is, we as a nation will have been very lucky, and will have been given the all mother of wake up calls.
    Nah they won't. What will happen is that the thickies amongst us, who struggle to understand counterfactuals, will claim that it was all overblown nonsense. They will cite spurious death figures for seasonal flu and will forget that we have had the biggest peace time intervention to minimise deaths, as much as practically possible.

I have seen it done here repeatedly over the last few days whilst I've been trying to recover from this dreadful virus and it is infuriating to read.

Simpletons like Hitchens plant brain worms into society knowing full well that if they were actually in a position to do anything, they would never have the luxury to take the position they espouse.

It's morally repugnant.
    In more important matters, how are you? Are you and your wife recovering?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    eadric said:

nichomar said:
    Spain is still less than two weeks past its lockdown tho, isn’t it? So we shouldn’t expect an improvement yet?
    Total lockdown 17/3
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited March 2020

Dura_Ace said:

Those struggling with getting skimmed milk, even UHT milk, you can purchase milk powder in bulk from a number of online stores.

You don't actually need to ingest cow mucus.
    Those filthy meat eaters are nabbing the stocks of non dairy alternatives as well. I know a few people who mock me, but when the cow juice shelves were empty stocked up on alternatives. Horrible bastards!
    At conferences, back in the dim and distant, I was known as an opportunistic vegetarian, because, if there were two buffets I always went to the veggie one, since the queue was always shorter.
    The new vegan meat substitutes often taste better, hence the popularity of vegan sausage rolls and the like. This is probably because the taste has been designed, rather than settling for whatever God made congealed grey meat taste of. At least, that was the verdict in our staff canteen.
  • Options

Lets hope he is right.

It's morally repugnant.

Hope you are recovering?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    ydoethur said:

Lets hope he is right.

It's morally repugnant.
    In more important matters, how are you? Are you and your wife recovering?
    My thoughts, too, when I saw Mr W post. Glad you've come through.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Asked in the science committee hearing if he expected coronavirus to return in the winter, Prof Neil Ferguson said that the measures now in place should lead to the epidemic starting to decline instead of growing.

But he said he thought the current social isolation measures were not sustainable for the rest of the year. As they were relaxed, there would be some resurgence, he said.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313

Dura_Ace said:

Those struggling with getting skimmed milk, even UHT milk, you can purchase milk powder in bulk from a number of online stores.

Those filthy meat eaters are nabbing the stocks of non dairy alternatives as well. I know a few people who mock me, but when the cow juice shelves were empty stocked up on alternatives. Horrible bastards!
    At conferences, back in the dim and distant, I was known as an opportunistic vegetarian, because, if there were two buffets I always went to the veggie one, since the queue was always shorter.
    The new vegan meat substitutes often taste better, hence the popularity of vegan sausage rolls and the like. This is probably because the taste has been designed, rather than settling for whatever God made congealed grey meat taste of. At least, that was the verdict in our staff canteen.
    The key is usually in the salt content.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Endillion said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

egg said:

Kill All Sparrows! Had unforeseen consequences. It was reaction to a genuine issue, not wanting anyone to starve.

Shut the Economy! A reaction to protect the NHS, under 20k first wave covid deaths not spike of 500 thousand. But what are the unforeseen consequences?

The obvious one is further wave of panic buying making first wave look like vicars tea party, as people realise with manufacturing stopped, stocks going down, they won’t see a toilet role or tin of beans for many months to come.

Another is what you did want to keep going has to stop due to lack of resource or ability to repair. Do we rely on resource supply lines important to power generation, water purification? Oil refineries?

Relatedly, here’s some optimism from Germany (Holland is reporting the same slowing)

If we end up with numbers like a bad flu outbreak, there will be the mother of all rows between those saying We shouldn’t have shut the economy for a flu, and those saying It’s because we shut the economy that it feels like a flu

A bad flu outbreak is around 50,000 extra deaths. Do you think we will reach that?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/highestnumberofexcesswinterdeathssince19992000/2015-11-25
    You seem to be conflating two things. Not all excess winter deaths will be flu related. Most flu deaths will probably also be excess winter deaths, but the same is not true in reverse.
    I am not conflating two things. If you read the report thoroughly it puts the excess winter deaths down to flu.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    eadric said:

kamski said:

Pulpstar said:

eadric said:

kamski said:

The curve of daily new cases looks like it might be already flattening in Germany:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

It seems a bit early to me, it could be just a blip. I'm also hearing reports that both swabs and chemicals needed for testing are in short supply (as well as the labs operating at capacity), so the number of tests might be going down, or at least stopped increasing. Without testing numbers it's harder to see what's happening.

Can we trust the data on Germany on worldometer?

eg it still says Germany has only 23 critical cases.
    We're only testing very severe cases here though, are they checking more mild cases ?
    The critical case numbers are, and have always been obviously wrong for several countries, including Germany. Anyone quoting that 23 number is not engaging their brain.
    You could read a local newspaper, for example the Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger reported yesterday 11 people in intensive care just in Cologne, and 3 deaths in total. It's still small numbers, but suggests 100s in intensive care nationally. BTW it also has a report from a testing lab in Cologne where they are doing 4000 tests a day, supposedly the biggest in Germany. A few weeks ago I read there were 148 labs in Germany doing Covid-19 tests.

Anyway why doesn't eadric ask if we can trust the worldometer data for the UK given that it is currently showing 20 serious critical for the UK, which is also obviously nonsense.

The deaths and confirmed cases seem accurate for Germany, they are updated more often than the RKI numbers.
    My post wasn’t antagonistic, merely a question: is worldometer entirely reliable when it has some obvious errors (including the critical number for UK)

And the number of critical care cases is really important, just as important as the death rate. Because it is the ICU patients that will collapse health systems, they are the real menace of covid 19.

We need reliable data.
    Fair enough
    https://www.morgenpost.de/vermischtes/article228762221/Coronavirus-Corona-News-Ticker-Aktuelle-Zahlen-Fast-34-000-Infizierte-und-164-Tote.html
    is today reporting about 1000 patients in intensive care in Germany, and 4000 in total being treated in hospitals. They are reporting figures from the DKG (German Hospital Society), which may or may not be complete

The official RKI data (deaths and confirmed cases) for Germany is available here
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4
    I believe the infections and deaths on worldometer are correct, they are always a bit higher than the RKI figures because they are more up-to-date.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Key worker?
    I'd say he's never done a days work in his life.....

In the Royal Navy, messing about on boats plus thousands and thousands of engagements with the public since.

Don't be a ****.
    That certainly told me. We're going to have to agree to disagree. If he didn't like it, he could always have fecked off to Canada like his kid to enjoy his millions.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Why is that the right thing to do?

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408

Following on from my post about reduced choice it will be fascinating to see the long term impact on some brands. A lot of brand owners spend £lots pushing the image and equity of their brand so that you pay more for it vs competitors. What we have clearly seen in recent weeks is people switching away from their regular product to alternatives based on whats available.

When consumers discover that a lot of brand USPs only really exist in the Marketing Director's ego...

How the likes of Nurofen and Beechams get away away with charging 4 quid for a pack of painkillers has always amazed me.
    Perhaps but I think my employer (who will soon make me redundant) is banking on a "flight to quality" once this is over, which may be good for the premium brands. (And more local production.)
  • Options

Of course the people we should feel the most sorry for are the self employed who have spent 3 years convincing HMRC they only earn £12,000 and now want the Government to reimburse what the £40,000 they actually earned!!

Karma ;)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nichomar said:

eadric said:

nichomar said:
    Spain is still less than two weeks past its lockdown tho, isn’t it? So we shouldn’t expect an improvement yet?
    Total lockdown 17/3
    They really should have cancelled the Woman's day marches
  • Options
    edited March 2020

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Key worker?

In the Royal Navy, messing about on boats plus thousands and thousands of engagements with the public since.

Don't be a ****.
    That certainly told me. We're going to have to agree to disagree. If he didn't like it, he could always have fecked off to Canada like his kid to enjoy his millions.
    I don't think he wants or needs sympathy, just that it is a job. You may think Islington Council's Diversity Director, or the BBC's Head of Disinformation, or the heir to the throne are not jobs involving work.

But they are.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I am recovering thank you. But my anecdata suggests that the initial classification system used by those Chinese researchers of 80% being 'mild' might be letting the word mild do a lot of heavy lifting.

I've had a lot of communicable illness over the past few years, with having small children. This is like no other I have experienced. Having your breath taken away over a matter of hours is scary.

We are getting better though. Thank you all for your best wishes.

I don't believe the much touted 80% mild figure was from Chinese researchers, I believe it comes from an American researcher, who was on MSNBC last week saying he heavily regrets using that term. He was using it basically mean to mild enough that you aren't in need of treatment, but was clear that within that 80% it was a range from nothing to the worst flu you have ever had including pneumonia.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    nichomar said:

eadric said:

nichomar said:
    Total lockdown 17/3
    So sadly it will get worse over the next few days - looks like it might ultimately be a bit worse than Italy unfortunately.

Before the lockdown were there attempts at social distancing / WFH or did that only really kick in with the lockdown? Just trying to calibrate how the informal social distancing etc. we did here might impact what we have to expect over the next fortnight...
  • Options
    felix said:

eadric said:

nichomar said:
    Unfortunately there is now pressure from both the opposition and the Coalition partners for more drastic measures - Sanchez must decide this w/e. Personally, I think he has done well and should be backed rather than pressured too much at this point.
    Worth noting that large parts of Spain are, statistically, safer than central London although obviously not in the larger cities.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Probably, yes (certainly being a senior royal). Same as being someone who might come into contact with senior govt members. This is not the time to risk infecting the people running the operation.
    Is Prince Charles running the operation?

The Queen is socially distancing herself, what does her heir have to do with anything?

Realpolitik means he would qualify but there's surely little operational reason to do with it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Key worker?

We did all those jokes yesterday. Please, God, not again!
    Well said. I think we are on to the fourth repeat now!
  • Options

I am recovering thank you. But my anecdata suggests that the initial classification system used by those Chinese researchers of 80% being 'mild' might be letting the word mild do a lot of heavy lifting.

I've had a lot of communicable illness over the past few years, with having small children. This is like no other I have experienced. Having your breath taken away over a matter of hours is scary.

Great to hear. Do you think you will figure in any of the official stats?
  • Options
    Floater said:

nichomar said:

eadric said:

nichomar said:
    Total lockdown 17/3
    They really should have cancelled the Woman's day marches
    Yes
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

In a conference in Cambridge in the 90's the lunchtime catering was included in the conference fees and provided by a college. I and about 10 other vegetarians had to wait in line an extra 15 minutes for a new main course to be prepared. The problem was that so many non-vegetarians didn't like the look of the meat dish, way more people chose the vegetarian dish than the kitchen expected.

It was annoying that I had to wait, but was pleased that so many actually wanted the veggie rather than the meat dish
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Key worker?

Don't be a ****.
    I don't think he wants or needs sympathy, just that it is a job. You may not think Islington Council's Diversity Director, or the BBC's Head of Disinformation, or the heir to the throne are not jobs involving work.

But they are.
    Absolutely they are. Sure, Charlie has to put the hours in but is hourly rate is pretty good.
  • Options

Great news Mr Wise. Here's hoping it continues and accelerates. Best wishes to you and the family.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    RobD said:

Of course the people we should feel the most sorry for are the self employed who have spent 3 years convincing HMRC they only earn £12,000 and now want the Government to reimburse what the £40,000 they actually earned!!

Karma ;)
    Never been Karma!!

Touch wood the daughters symptoms are less bad again today so i am feeling good
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543

Because people sometimes have illnesses which are only cured by spending £4 rather than 27p for the same thing

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Looks like not just Excel Centre going to be used, NEC and GMEX next up.

And people mocked Boris for promising 40 new hospitals...
  • Options

Probably, yes (certainly being a senior royal). Same as being someone who might come into contact with senior govt members. This is not the time to risk infecting the people running the operation.

The Queen is socially distancing herself, what does her heir have to do with anything?

Realpolitik means he would qualify but there's surely little operational reason to do with it.
    Orders in Council need to be signed by someone. That's why I was arguing earlier that William should be declared regent, as the most senior royal in a low-risk category.
  • Options
    Charles said:

felix said:

The planning must have happened a while ago - suggests that there's quite a storm to come - hopefully before the calm.
    Apparently the government was doing nothing though, so that can't be possible
    The other major announcement I’m expecting soon is plenty of hotels to become hospitals.

Is why they ordered the closure of hotels.
  • Options

I don't believe the much touted 80% mild figure was from Chinese researchers, I believe it comes from an American researcher, who was on MSNBC last week saying he heavily regrets using that term. He was using it basically mean to mild enough that you aren't in need of treatment, but was clear that within that 80% it was a range from nothing to the worst flu you have ever had including pneumonia.
    He meant mild - as in you would not need hospital intervention - but a bunch of those will be very poorly, just not at risk of passing away.

As you say - he regrets his choice of words now
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    TOPPING said:

As an asthmatic I find the idea very scary. Good job I've got a full set of inhalers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FPT @Luckyguy1983 @Malmesbury

Charles said:

Charles said:

The original Facebook post repeated used the phrase "VIRAL LOAD" (in capitals). It was wrong. The NHS advice is driven by probability of infection - repeated encounters with the virus increase the chance of catching the bug.

FWIW, I'm not a scientist or a doctor. But I have spent 25 years working with, advising and sitting on the boards of pharmaceutical and biotech companies. I have some familiarity with the basics.

This is interesting info Charles. How does it work then? My basic understanding of a virus is that it ventures in, attaches itself to its desired cells, and turns those cells into replicators of itself. It would seem to stand to reason that if you are exposed to more virus, it attaches itself to more cells, those more cells all replicate, and the virus is several stages more advanced than it would otherwise be? What you're describing sounds more like a light switch, or a sperm meeting an egg. I am happy to defer to your experience on this subject, but at first glance it seems counterintuitive.
    It's not that it doesn't happen, it's that the rate of replication is so fast that it's irrelevant.
    Yes - imagine the replication as a tree - say you start with 1 cell, then x cells then x * x cells....

Unless you replace the 1 with a truly staggering number of cells, you won't be starting much further "up" the tree.
    Thank you, that is a helpful explanation. What about the effect different 'geographical areas' of the body? To reduce this to ludicrously simple terms, let's say Sufferer A is mildly exposed to a virus, and it successfully begins to replicate on one of his lungs. Sufferer B is heavily exposed to the virus, and it successfully begins to replicate on both of his lungs. Surely sufferer A is in an advantageous position relative to Sufferer B? He has one tree, where sufferer B has two.
    Viruses typically replicate in the bloodstream. The issue with the lungs is a symptom (it's ARDS, but not sure of the underlying mechanistic cause. Would assume it is part of an inflammatory cascade)
    The viral entry site seems to be the ACE2 receptor, which is found predominately in the lungs, but also gut and heart.

I don't think red cells express ACE2 receptors so how can the bloodstream be the main source of viral replication?

In addition red cells do not have nuclei, and are not equipped to produce RNA replication or viral proteins.

Viruses may well be distributed by bloodstream, but I cannot see them reproducing there.
    I was distracted and thinking about HIV, which replicates in the white blood cells.

Respiratory viruses obviously replicate elsewhere. Doh!
    :smile:
    If it wasn't such a nasty bug, watching the science done in real time would be quite fascinating.

Hope your dad is recovering.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430
    RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    This is so unhelpful to the cause. What on earth are they thinking?
    They actually believe this.
    Some people think that Tom Clancy was exaggerating when he wrote a story about a group of eco-extremists weaponising Ebola to cull the human population.

Such people exist (in terms of fantasising about such matters) - in fact, I have heard third hand, that the security services have a category for them on their watch lists.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Orders in Council need to be signed by someone. That's why I was arguing earlier that William should be declared regent, as the most senior royal in a low-risk category.
    Isn't he already a councillor of state?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

The key is usually in the salt content.
    Salt restrictions are a bloody nightmare. Sugar the same. Salt tipped in for flavour is one thing. Salt a functional part of key ingredients are another - several retailers have upper limits for salt and sugar copied from government edicts which makes it all but impossible to make own brand versions of some things.

And even in brands they're finding that people don't like their efforts. Nestle scientists spent years and a stack of cash creating crystalline sugar crystals to reduce sugar in chocolate. Milkybar Wowsomes being the short lived result with punters not buying them because they didn't taste right...
  • Options

RobD said:

Karma ;)
    Never been Karma!!

Good news John, stay safe.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The original Facebook post repeated used the phrase "VIRAL LOAD" (in capitals). It was wrong. The NHS advice is driven by probability of infection - repeated encounters with the virus increase the chance of catching the bug.

FWIW, I'm not a scientist or a doctor. But I have spent 25 years working with, advising and sitting on the boards of pharmaceutical and biotech companies. I have some familiarity with the basics.

This is interesting info Charles. How does it work then? My basic understanding of a virus is that it ventures in, attaches itself to its desired cells, and turns those cells into replicators of itself. It would seem to stand to reason that if you are exposed to more virus, it attaches itself to more cells, those more cells all replicate, and the virus is several stages more advanced than it would otherwise be? What you're describing sounds more like a light switch, or a sperm meeting an egg. I am happy to defer to your experience on this subject, but at first glance it seems counterintuitive.
    It's not that it doesn't happen, it's that the rate of replication is so fast that it's irrelevant.
    Yes - imagine the replication as a tree - say you start with 1 cell, then x cells then x * x cells....

Unless you replace the 1 with a truly staggering number of cells, you won't be starting much further "up" the tree.
    Thank you, that is a helpful explanation. What about the effect different 'geographical areas' of the body? To reduce this to ludicrously simple terms, let's say Sufferer A is mildly exposed to a virus, and it successfully begins to replicate on one of his lungs. Sufferer B is heavily exposed to the virus, and it successfully begins to replicate on both of his lungs. Surely sufferer A is in an advantageous position relative to Sufferer B? He has one tree, where sufferer B has two.
    Viruses typically replicate in the bloodstream. The issue with the lungs is a symptom (it's ARDS, but not sure of the underlying mechanistic cause. Would assume it is part of an inflammatory cascade)
    The viral entry site seems to be the ACE2 receptor, which is found predominately in the lungs, but also gut and heart.

I don't think red cells express ACE2 receptors so how can the bloodstream be the main source of viral replication?

In addition red cells do not have nuclei, and are not equipped to produce RNA replication or viral proteins.

Viruses may well be distributed by bloodstream, but I cannot see them reproducing there.
    I was distracted and thinking about HIV, which replicates in the white blood cells.

If it wasn't such a nasty bug, watching the science done in real time would be quite fascinating.

He didn't make it, sadly
  • Options

Charles said:

felix said:

The planning must have happened a while ago - suggests that there's quite a storm to come - hopefully before the calm.
    Apparently the government was doing nothing though, so that can't be possible
    The other major announcement I’m expecting soon is plenty of hotels to become hospitals.

Is why they ordered the closure of hotels.
    In Spain they have identified a number of hotels across the country as rest and recovery centers for front line workers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Very sorry to hear that, Charles. My sympathies.
  • Options

I seem to remember it coming from one of the early Chinese epi papers in NEJM or JAMA. Anyway it's misleading. I suspect there is a lot of heterogeneity here in the virus attack. But yes, mild is basically not going to hospital.

But going to hospital currently is endegenous with a global pandemic, ie in any other circumstances I would have been calling for an ambulance on Sunday night.

As I had the spo2 monitor (thank you thank you thank you Foxy), that saw my wife and me through it. Despite it seeming like we couldn't breathe, our blood was getting enough oxygen.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Wow. sorry to hear that Charles.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Very sorry to read that. Sympathies.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430
    RobD said:

Karma ;)

The ones I really feel for are the ones who spent years telling HMRC they were on 12K but were earning 120k.

Range Rovers don't just fuel themselves, you know. And the vet bills for the children's ponies can be crippling.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Damn, really sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly

Very sorry to hear that, Charles. My condolences.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Sorry to hear that Charles. Deepest sympathy to you and the rest of the family.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    I am so sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

egg said:

I am not conflating two things. If you read the report thoroughly it puts the excess winter deaths down to flu.
    No, it doesn't. It's one of the factors, and likely to contribute to more cases than just those where it appears on the death certificate. But it's not the only factor.

This from the opening paragraph:
    While colder weather can be a risk to health for older people and those with underlying health conditions, this article shows in recent years, higher levels of excess winter mortality are also related to the virulence of circulating flu strains.

It is likely that the differences between average and bad years are predominantly driven by how bad the flu levels were that year, but it's still clear that, in any year, there would still be excess winter deaths even without flu.

There's also some charts there that show that not all flu deaths occur during winter, which makes the comparison you're trying to make even more complicated.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Very saddened to hear Charles. Best wishes to you and every sympathy.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

felix said:

eadric said:

nichomar said:
    Unfortunately there is now pressure from both the opposition and the Coalition partners for more drastic measures - Sanchez must decide this w/e. Personally, I think he has done well and should be backed rather than pressured too much at this point.
    Worth noting that large parts of Spain are, statistically, safer than central London although obviously not in the larger cities.
    True, but not surprising. Large parts of the UK also have a lower risk of infection compared to Central London, as have large parts of New York State. This is just a result of the virus being spread by people and cities have a higher population density than in the country.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Oh Charles, I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    My condolences Charles to you and your family.
  • Options
    Very sorry Charles. :-(
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1242772116665176067

When did XR first notice it was a far right a/c.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    eadric said:

Being heir to the throne when the occupant is 90-something is probably sufficient reason.

This also has the potential to knock out lots of other royals.

Indeed, I heard a well informed rumour that one senior royal was recently helicoptered to a large aristo estate in Cornwall, for isolation.
    Might have private healthcare!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    So sorry to hear that. Deepest condolences.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    This is so unhelpful to the cause. What on earth are they thinking?
    They actually believe this.
    Corona isn’t the cure, it has just made us aware of the cure
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Key worker?

Don't be a ****.
    I don't think he wants or needs sympathy, just that it is a job. You may not think Islington Council's Diversity Director, or the BBC's Head of Disinformation, or the heir to the throne are not jobs involving work.

But they are.
    Absolutely they are. Sure, Charlie has to put the hours in but is hourly rate is pretty good.
    No doubting that.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Very sorry Charles. :-(

Glad to see that you're well enough to post!
  • Options
    eadric said:

Indeed, I heard a well informed rumour that one senior royal was recently helicoptered to a large aristo estate in Cornwall, for isolation.

The ongoing operation to keep Prince Andrew away from dangerous temptations like teenage girls and microphones may of course not be anything to do with Coronavirus.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

No that's why the official Covid19 test stat is fairly meaningless.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Very sorry to hear that. Best wishes.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    So sorry to hear that Charles.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eadric said:

The ongoing operation to keep Prince Andrew away from dangerous temptations like teenage girls and microphones may of course not be anything to do with Coronavirus.
    You'm want to watch them Cornish girls, my lover!
  • Options

RobD said:

Karma ;)
    Never been Karma!!

Some good news on here at least.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Re Prince Charles, As I said last night with those clips of Putin in the full hazmat suit, I am really surprised how in general world leaders and VVVVIPs don't seem to have adjusted their general behaviour much.

Perhaps it is not to scare the horses, but still.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Very sorry to hear that Charles. Condolences.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Condolences. Even when death does not come as a surprise its still hard to bear.
  • Options

On an informal scale "mild symptoms" should be between "yes I am a bit ill and I think I should go to the GP/ring the Corona hotline." The stage where you feel "bloody awful" is definately more than mild symptoms.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

You'm want to watch them Cornish girls, my lover!
    It was one night, it was a mistake, and we agreed not to talk about it...
  • Options
    eadric said:

I seem to remember it coming from one of the early Chinese epi papers in NEJM or JAMA. Anyway it's misleading. I suspect there is a lot of heterogeneity here in the virus attack. But yes, mild is basically not going to hospital.

But going to hospital currently is endegenous with a global pandemic, ie in any other circumstances I would have been calling for an ambulance on Sunday night.

As I had the spo2 monitor (thank you thank you thank you Foxy), that saw my wife and me through it. Despite it seeming like we couldn't breathe, our blood was getting enough oxygen.
    Fucking hell. That is scary.

This horrible virus is so weirdly various. Some old people get it and barely have a sniffle Fit young people get it and they nearly die.

At least you’ve had it and now have some immunity.
    Yes. There is that. I am keen to get hold of an immunoassay so I can start to do some good in the community when I am recovered.

You do not want to catch this bastard no matter your age or seeming healthiness.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Teach young George joined up writing quick.

• Options

Re Prince Charles, As I said last night with those clips of Putin in the full hazmat suit, I am really surprised how in general world leaders and VVVVIPs don't seem to have adjusted their general behaviour much.

Perhaps it is not to scare the horses, but still.

Merkel is in full self isolation since Friday evening.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

He didn't make it, sadly
    Condolences Charles.

Classy, understated way of reporting the sad news, if you don’t mind me saying.
  • Options
    Gordon Ramsay has laid off more than 500 of his staff after temporarily closing his London restaurants due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Chefs, waiters and other staff were called to a meeting and told their contracts were being terminated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8148839/Chef-slams-Gordon-Ramsay-terminates-employment-500-staff.html
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Teach young George joined up writing quick.

Unless he can forge his uncle's signature as well, that wouldn't help.
  • Options

Gordon Ramsay has laid off more than 500 of his staff after temporarily closing his London restaurants due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Chefs, waiters and other staff were called to a meeting and told their contracts were being terminated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8148839/Chef-slams-Gordon-Ramsay-terminates-employment-500-staff.html

That's another one for the Hall of Shame.
  • Options
    So sorry Charles
  • Options
    Prince Charles last saw the Queen 16 days ago

The service also included the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds, Jeremy Corbyn and Dominic Raab.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    My condolences, Mr. Charles.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Fucking hell. That is scary.

This horrible virus is so weirdly various. Some old people get it and barely have a sniffle Fit young people get it and they nearly die.

At least you’ve had it and now have some immunity.
    ... and will SOON have immunity. You should wait a couple of weeks without symptoms before taking immunity for granted.
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 48
    Condolences Charles to you and your family at this difficult time.
This discussion has been closed.