Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunak (tipped on PB when he was 200/1) now betting favourite t

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

422 UK deaths now reported, the biggest single rise from day to day.

Compared to Italy, we remain 15 days behind.

We're seem to be slipping behind schedule. 422 deaths isn't 'good' by any means, but it isn't wholly disastrous news.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Our local park was but someone reported it to the police and they paid a visit
  • Options

We're seem to be slipping behind schedule. 422 deaths isn't 'good' by any means, but it isn't wholly disastrous news.
    Bear in mind we have been advised that less than 20k fatalities and we have done well.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Are you sure how many extra deaths did Italy have 15 days ago?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383

Nigelb said:

Interesting article on US/Chinese trade and relations:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/business/coronavirus-china-masks.html
    Global carriers like United Airlines and Cathay Pacific have slashed international flights to near zero as countries bolster their borders. About half the world’s air cargo traveled last year in the bellies of passenger planes, said John Peyton Burnett, the managing director of TAC Index, an air cargo pricing data company in Hong Kong.

Now the world’s passenger airlines are shutting down much of their networks. Cathay Pacific, the dominant air carrier in Hong Kong and one of the largest airlines across the Pacific, announced late Friday afternoon that it was canceling 96 percent of its passenger services in April and May.

Yet so acute is the need for airfreight capacity that the airline said it would continue to operate some of its passenger planes just to use the cargo capacity in their bellies, while leaving the seats empty.

The cost per pound across the Pacific has tripled in the last few days as airlines have shut down most of their international passenger flights, according to freight agents. Shipping now costs considerably more than the masks themselves.

“It’s like nothing we’ve ever heard of, or seen happen,” said Jia Qing, a freight agent at Janco International Freight in Shanghai. “In normal times the price would change once every year, and now it’s changing three times a day.”...

If all the passenger seats are empty, could airlines put parcels in them? Maybe a daft question, though.
    Pilots don't want to go anywhere because they are worried they will be stuck wherever they go to. Plenty of demand for flights, pilots not so keen.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957
    edited March 2020

Here you are, but it’s 14 days, not 15, that people are using.

We are either 39 or 209 behind Italy.

https://twitter.com/AndrewCooper__/status/1241702344095682565?s=20
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    isam said:

So three days ago we were level with Italy at the same stage, and now we have 2/3s as many
    As I mentioned yesterday, Italy had a particularly bad day when they leapt from 233 to 366 which was roughly the equivalent of two regular days. We didn't have that, so it makes sense that we went from +14 to +15.

Of course it's possible that going forward our "normal" days will also be better than their "normal" days (i.e. the post-366 days) and we'll continue to diverge. That's the hope. And in fact 422 is better than 463, so that's already hopeful. But it's going to be a while before we can really say anything meaningful about whether we've actually charted a better trajectory than Italy or not, based on those numbers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Scientists in Iceland claim they have found FORTY mutations of the coronavirus – and admit seven cases can be traced back to 'a football match in England'

These genetic variants can act as the fingerprints of the virus to indicate where in the world it originated.

The Icelandic scientists were able to trace the coronavirus back to three European countries – Austria, Italy – the epicentre of the outbreak – and England. Seven infected people all went to the same, undisclosed football match in England, the team claim.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8146565/Scientists-Iceland-claim-FORTY-mutations-coronavirus.html
  • Options

According to this shared by @isam, we should be on 631 today.
    isam said:

We should be on 631 deaths today if this analysis was correct

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1241702863530799104?s=21

• Options
    Greta Thunberg says she may have had coronavirus and has self-isolated at home with her father.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

I suppose you'd have to have something resembling a system before it could be described as creaking under the strain.

https://twitter.com/MercianMedia/status/1242225413201543168?s=20

Try ringing the tax office.. You go thro 10 minutes of crap before they tell you they cannot take your call at this time. I understand its an emergency but there seems little if any provision for home working and webchat is just unavailable.
    I think I shall just write

Frustrating but we have to live with it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,743
    This is rather disturbing (BBC report on India):
    Drawing from the experience in China and Italy, doctors now know that hospitals might turn out to be the "main source" of Covid-19 transmission. The potential for community transmission of the infection across a large geographical area from the Bhilwara hospital is real, officials fear....
    I presume something similar applies to us ?

Not quite sure how their lockdown ("every citizen" to remain in their homes for 21 days) is going to work...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Incidentally I notice that 2 more people died from the Diamond Princess. This makes the death rate there 1.4% at the moment but the really troubling thing is that they still have 115 active cases and 15 critical. The hospital resource implications of that after all this time are genuinely frightening.

That accords with some of the numbers reported from China, which suggest some patients had a very long hard struggle.
    That is the other difference from Flu, which peaks over a few days in an individual. COVID19 takes someone into ICU for 5-10 times that, hence the need for numbers of ventilators.

Worth noting that permanent lung damage is a common sequelae too.
    Is it? So recovered is not necessarily recovered then? Not heard that.
    Foxy, that lung damage element, is that over all cases, the hospitalised cases or those that need ICU care?

I am asking for a work related reason (Insurance industry here)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:
    I read around the internet, that fabulous source for hard facts, that Germany is massaging the figures. Basically, they're discounting from fatalities and critical condition anyone with an underlying health condition.

This is denied but it would be one explanation.
    (Assuming that's true) the authorities might be able to hide the dead on a day-to-day-strict-definition basis but it's going very difficult to hide a spike from a year-on-year view. And they also risk long term repuational blowback from the population if they try.
    Why on earth would you assume it's true? It's an absurd suggestion, (which I can also confirm is not true). Why would "the authorities" (whoever they might be) even want to hide Covid-19 deaths? And how exactly would "they" manage such a thing? There's an ugly strain of anti-German prejudice in England (some kind of weird inferiority complex maybe) - like I said before - how come nobody is suggesting Australia is massaging the figures even though they have an even lower death rate?
    You hit it on the head , just anti - German prejudice because they do everything much better than England.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Stocky said:

In the interests of intimacy can I confirm:

1) that the two metre social distancing rule does not apply to one`s own wife?
    2) does this exemption extend to other people`s wives? (Particularly the young one next door)?

Sadly yes to number 1 and no to number 2
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Nigelb said:

Drawing from the experience in China and Italy, doctors now know that hospitals might turn out to be the "main source" of Covid-19 transmission. The potential for community transmission of the infection across a large geographical area from the Bhilwara hospital is real, officials fear....

Not quite sure how their lockdown ("every citizen" to remain in their homes for 21 days) is going to work...

Our hospitals are on the whole quite localised are they not? So maybe this would be less of an issue?

For example, Londoners will be treated in London hospitals.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Sweden and Israel going for herd immunity it seems. Are there others? Has Netherlands stopped?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited March 2020

I suppose you'd have to have something resembling a system before it could be described as creaking under the strain.

There was an interesting piece in the guardian suggesting that many middle class people are going to end up learning about the benefits system from personal interaction with it. Maybe that will change some attitudes.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Woman is first UK victim to die of coronavirus caught in hospital

The otherwise fit 80-year-old then caught an infection in hospital that she and her family were initially told was pneumonia. Last Thursday, almost three weeks after arriving at the hospital, she tested positive for Covid-19 and died the following day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/woman-first-uk-victim-die-coronavirus-caught-hospital-marita-edwards

Anywhere near any healthcare establishments at this moment in time is going to be very risky.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:
    I read around the internet, that fabulous source for hard facts, that Germany is massaging the figures. Basically, they're discounting from fatalities and critical condition anyone with an underlying health condition.

(Assuming that's true) the authorities might be able to hide the dead on a day-to-day-strict-definition basis but it's going very difficult to hide a spike from a year-on-year view. And they also risk long term repuational blowback from the population if they try.
    Why on earth would you assume it's true? It's an absurd suggestion, (which I can also confirm is not true). Why would "the authorities" (whoever they might be) even want to hide Covid-19 deaths? And how exactly would "they" manage such a thing? There's an ugly strain of anti-German prejudice in England (some kind of weird inferiority complex maybe) - like I said before - how come nobody is suggesting Australia is massaging the figures even though they have an even lower death rate?
    You hit it on the head , just anti - German prejudice because they do everything much better than England.
    There must be an explanation for the lack of people in ICUs in Germany. A “great healthcare system” doesn’t really explain that. I’d think that if their healthcare system was the reason for the success, you’d have large numbers of people in ICU, but then recovering.

Not simply lots of people having mild symptoms.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,375
    Compared to seven days ago it's almost exactly the same number of daily tests, but more than three times as many returning positive.

That's not good. We've fallen way behind on the testing.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    isam said:

We should be on 631 deaths today if this analysis was correct

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1241702863530799104?s=21

I'm not sure it's sound maths to try comparing day by day.

If, in a few days, our rates have continued to move away from Italy AND it's confirmed that there isn't a change in measurement that's affecting everything, then we can *maybe* start thinking a little more positively. Until then I wouldn't draw any conclusions at all.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    geoffw said:

Sweden and Israel going for herd immunity it seems. Are there others? Has Netherlands stopped?

Source for Israel? As I understand it, they moved into full lockdown long before we did, and on the basis of far fewer cases/deaths. They also have the advantage of huge standing and reserve armies to implement it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    felix said:

Stocky said:

In the interests of intimacy can I confirm:

1) that the two metre social distancing rule does not apply to one`s own wife?
    2) does this exemption extend to other people`s wives? (Particularly the young one next door)?

Sadly yes to number 1 and no to number 2
    Damn - the other way round would have been perfect.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Compared to seven days ago it's almost exactly the same number of daily tests, but more than three times as many returning positive.

Quite strange reduction in numbers of tests. We hit 10-11k for a couple of days, then it has dropped down again.

Unless it is due to the policy of only testing serious cases presenting at hospitals and there aren't more than 6000 of them per day at present. We really should be testing in the community more to get an idea of spread.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    rkrkrk said:

There was an interesting piece in the guardian suggesting that man middle class people are going to end up learning about the benefits system from personal interaction with it. Maybe that will change some attitudes.
    Boy, oh boy, will it change many people's attitudes. They are about to find out how stressful the whole process is, never mind the thinness of the net.

"How am I expected to live on £98 SSP?"

Well try living on £70-odd JSA, or live for years, even decades on £111 ESA.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Floater said:

Bear in mind we have been advised that less than 20k fatalities and we have done well.
    Thats expectation management i dont think we have done well enough if we have 20k fatalities.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    TOPPING said:

guybrush said:

Hey all, long time lurker here. Thought now may be an opportune time to register - have found posts here both entertaining and insightful over the various political sagas over the last few years, and even a little profitable at times (even though I'm kicking myself at not picking up Sunak earlier, or cashing in my 30 stake in Buttigieg when I had the chance). So thanks all!

Regarding discussion of tube service earlier, have it on good authority that over 712 train drivers, 1089 station staff, and 574 maintainers absent from duties today. With those numbers I'm surprised there's any service at all!

welcome - what proportion of overall TfL staff is that I wonder?
    TfL is huuuge, in the region of 30k staff last time I looked (this includes back office, projects, management, etc. not all front line operational staff of course. I'd imagine those numbers a fair chunk of the number people actually driving the trains and manning stations however.

Morris_Dancer, quite, just stay away from the Panglins!
  • Options
    edited March 2020

malcolmg said:

kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:

There must be an explanation for the lack of people in ICUs in Germany. A “great healthcare system” doesn’t really explain that. I’d think that if their healthcare system was the reason for the success, you’d have large numbers of people in ICU, but then recovering.

Kamski claims the Forbes / John Hopkins University figures are incorrect. If that is the case, then the whole discussion is a mute point.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Floater said:

Our local park was but someone reported it to the police and they paid a visit
    Our park is closed. It is beautiful in Wales today (my wife is laying on the garden with the kids) and there are lots of joggers and walkers out. You can still walk the cycle paths. I'm going out later - I've just got back from work (where you'd swear the virus never existed).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Everything has to be paid. Some people might indeed argue for benefits to rise, and they need to say how that's going to be funded.

It's no good just wanting nice things without explaining how they're going to be afforded.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

guybrush said:

Hey all, long time lurker here. Thought now may be an opportune time to register - have found posts here both entertaining and insightful over the various political sagas over the last few years, and even a little profitable at times (even though I'm kicking myself at not picking up Sunak earlier, or cashing in my 30 stake in Buttigieg when I had the chance). So thanks all!

Regarding discussion of tube service earlier, have it on good authority that over 712 train drivers, 1089 station staff, and 574 maintainers absent from duties today. With those numbers I'm surprised there's any service at all!

Do they not always have shedloads off at the best of times
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Floater said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Incidentally I notice that 2 more people died from the Diamond Princess. This makes the death rate there 1.4% at the moment but the really troubling thing is that they still have 115 active cases and 15 critical. The hospital resource implications of that after all this time are genuinely frightening.

That accords with some of the numbers reported from China, which suggest some patients had a very long hard struggle.
    That is the other difference from Flu, which peaks over a few days in an individual. COVID19 takes someone into ICU for 5-10 times that, hence the need for numbers of ventilators.

Foxy, that lung damage element, is that over all cases, the hospitalised cases or those that need ICU care?

Those in ICU, I believe. A 20% drop in lung capacity, though with time some may gradually recover a bit.
    I normal times, ICU is where ARDS is managed.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056
    Pulpstar said:

Remote desktop ? Pile of shite desktop more like

Are Britain's backward companies still failing to cope with remote working?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,375

Quite strange reduction in numbers of tests. We hit 10-11k for a couple of days, then it has dropped down again.

Unless it is due to the policy of only testing serious cases presenting at hospitals and there aren't more than 6000 of them per day at present. We really should be testing in the community more to get an idea of spread.
    The most tests per day that I can see was 8400 - where do you get the 10-11k figure from?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/htmlview
  • Options

Floater said:

Thats expectation management i dont think we have done well enough if we have 20k fatalities.
    Given that that is tens of thousands less than a bad seasonal flu outbreak, we'll have done exceptionally well.
  • Options
    So I wonder which journalist gets the dickhead of the day badge for the most stupid question in relation to this lock down? I bet they have spent all day crafting the most ridiculous scenarios to ask the government if it is permitted or not.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Isn't the obvious explanation that they just have far fewer actual cases of coronavirus and therefore fewer sick people and fewer deaths.

The UK and other countries are only testing a small proportion of true cases. Potentially Germany is testing a much higher proportion.
  • Options

It may just be the weekend effect, it takes a day or two for results.

There are shortages of reagents, and lab staff are flat out, as well as coping with their own absences.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,224

Try ringing the tax office.. You go thro 10 minutes of crap before they tell you they cannot take your call at this time. I understand its an emergency but there seems little if any provision for home working and webchat is just unavailable.
    I think I shall just write

Frustrating but we have to live with it.
    There seems to be quite a lot of variation in my recent experience of agencies: DVLA, ok though I still have to chase them up about a V5C I haven't received; Passport Office, super efficient; DWP in relation to my brother, awful.

Of course none of this was during the current crisis.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383
    guybrush said:

TOPPING said:

guybrush said:

TfL is huuuge, in the region of 30k staff last time I looked (this includes back office, projects, management, etc. not all front line operational staff of course. I'd imagine those numbers a fair chunk of the number people actually driving the trains and manning stations however.

thx
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056

Is anyone keeping a note of companies to have trashed their reputation during the current crisis? So far I have Britannia Hotels, Wetherspoons and JD Sports. Any others?

In fairness, none of those companies had much of a reputation to defend. But yes, dire acts by them all.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    malcolmg said:

kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:

It is not just anti-German, it’s a generalised arrogance and patronising attitude toward “lesser breeds without the Law”. In my experience, though, it’s mostly men over the age of 40, I think it’s dying out.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,583

rkrkrk said:

There was an interesting piece in the guardian suggesting that man middle class people are going to end up learning about the benefits system from personal interaction with it. Maybe that will change some attitudes.
    Boy, oh boy, will it change many people's attitudes. They are about to find out how stressful the whole process is, never mind the thinness of the net.

"How am I expected to live on £98 SSP?"

Well try living on £70-odd JSA, or live for years, even decades on £111 ESA.
    I'm one who needs educating, though thankfully at this moment not for pressing reasons. As this post says, JSA is about £70 per week, or about £3650 pa. But the benefits cap for a single person outside London (ie the lowest category) is £13400 pa. That's quite a gap. Is there a quick explanation for the ignorant? Does it just consist of housing costs?

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2020

The most tests per day that I can see was 8400 - where do you get the 10-11k figure from?

Same story everywhere - journos get told that "testing is rising to X", or "we have the capacity to test X", and assume that we are currently testing X.

Same story when you actually look for details on other countries. We were told that S Korea was testing untold tens of thousands each day .... nope. Turns out they've been testing about 10k per day this month, and more like 6k now.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

malcolmg said:

kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:

It is not just anti-German, it’s a generalised arrogance and patronising attitude toward “lesser breeds without the Law”. In my experience, though, it’s mostly men over the age of 40, I think it’s dying out.
    Where is this huge anti-German prejudice? I think everybody agrees that they are doing great on testing, have brilliant facilities and clearly doing extremely well managing the situation.

The question why so few people in ICU, based on some data. Seems an interesting question. Kamski claims this data is false. Ok, fair enough.

The Guardian and Spectator among others have written good articles on reasons for lower death rates in Germany and a speculated a whole load of different reasons. Partly because Germany has done well and partly a bit of good fortune, and both make the claim about Post-mortem testing not occurring in Germany compared to Italy.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    edited March 2020

So I wonder which journalist gets the dickhead of the day badge for the most stupid question in relation to this lock down? I bet they have spent all day crafting the most ridiculous scenarios to ask the government if it is permitted or not.

Seems like quite a strange thing to get angry about.

There are plenty of questions people have asked which have been reasonable, and been met with useful answers: e.g. children with separated parents, car MOTs etc.

And in some cases your common-sense answer is clearly wrong: e.g. if someone living in a town has a choice between getting their daily exercise in their local streets, where social distancing might be difficult, or on an empty country path a short drive away, the latter is obviously preferable *provided* they turn around and come home if the country path turns out not to be so empty after all.
  • Options
    Is it still ok to order a takeaway? The Telegraph seems to think so... It says you can even collect, but surely not?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    On the "where are we vs Italy" metric, a shade behind March 9 (463) - so 14/15 days behind.
  • Options

Is it still ok to order a takeaway? The Telegraph seems to think so... It says you can even collect, but surely not?

Didn’t Johnson even note you can still takeaway last night?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Afternoon all :)

A gorgeous afternoon here in lowland East London so Mrs Stodge and I ventured out for our authorised walk and visit to the corner shop(s). Plenty of people out and about though the absence of a school run has reduced traffic somewhat.

The Underground fiasco is shaping up to be a disaster for Sadiq Khan - he was caught between the rock of wanting to provide a service for those essential workers who needed to travel and the hard places of keeping the economy going and having to cope with significant numbers of drivers and guards missing.

In my experience, the platform at East Ham at 7am is full of construction workers heading for building sites and the reason the tubes remains busy morning and evening peak is this ludicrous notion from Gove that because you work in the open air that's fine - travelling to and from the building work in confined carriages surrounded by other people is obviously an irrelevance.

While Johnson was eventually forced to do a lot of the right things, by keeping the construction sites open, he has kept a lot of people travelling and that isn't helping to slow down the spread of the virus.

Lock Down either means Lock Down or it means nothing - as someone said yesterday, this is Lock Down 0.5 - a bit of a mish-mash of confusing and contradictory rules brought out in haste and with a lot of gaps.

To a point, understandable, but the new rules are largely unenforceable though I'm sure larger public gatherings can be stopped.
  • Options

I think Foxy felt it wasn't a great idea
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Isn't the obvious explanation that they just have far fewer actual cases of coronavirus and therefore fewer sick people and fewer deaths.

The UK and other countries are only testing a small proportion of true cases. Potentially Germany is testing a much higher proportion.
    An alternative explanation for the above mentioned discrepancies may be that international comparisons divide hospital beds in only two tiers, ICU and 'regular beds', while the reality in Germany is that there are several additional tiers in between, some of which have such elevated standards that they would be regarded to be on par with ICU standards in other countries, but are not counted as such for these kinds of comparisons.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

It’s not a competition or a measure of how ‘we’ are doing let’s leave that until afterwards.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Floater said:

I'm hoping my local Chinese will still deliver later in the week.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I wouldn't mind knowing if the virus can survive in newly cooked food. Obviously you have to be careful with keeping your distance, surfaces touched, packaging maybe, but that all seems manageable.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

There are plenty of questions people have asked which have been reasonable, and been met with useful answers: e.g. children with separated parents, car MOTs etc.

And in some cases your common-sense answer is clearly wrong: e.g. if someone living in a town has a choice between getting their daily exercise in their local streets, where social distancing might be difficult, or on an empty country path a short drive away, the latter is obviously preferable *provided* they turn around and come home if the country path turns out not to be so empty after all.
    Did you see Kay Burley questions? And the journalist was asking about ok if I am back by the end of the day, that clearly isn't implying nipping 5 mins down the road to get out of the town centre.

Also, if everybody starts driving miles and miles to get their daily exercise, then they need to keep filling their cars up, so we get queues at the petrol station and of course interacting with the pumps, the control panels etc.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Greta Thunberg says she may have had coronavirus and has self-isolated at home with her father.

I imagine she is just fine with this low CO2 lifestyle we have all adopted...?
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    guybrush said:

TOPPING said:

guybrush said:

They have around 4,000 drivers, so 712 off is going on for 20%.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:

Be nice if they could pinpoint what it is. Likely combination of sausages , sauerkraut and beer, if only, we could enjoy getting immunity.
  • Options

kicorse said:

Did you see Kay Burley questions? And the journalist was asking about ok if I am back by the end of the day, that clearly isn't implying nipping 5 mins down the road to get out of the town centre.

Also, if everybody starts driving miles and miles to get their daily exercise, then they need to keep filling their cars up, so we get queues at the petrol station and of course interacting with the pumps, the control panels etc.
    Kay Burley is a fading journalist whose main supporter is herself
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Floater said:

I wouldn't mind knowing if the virus can survive in newly cooked food. Obviously you have to be careful with keeping your distance, surfaces touched, packaging maybe, but that all seems manageable.
    Deep fried fish and chips is probably sterile, but anything else...

Remember, this virus probably got into humans via food, before it became a respiratory illness.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2020
    A very interesting article in the FT (no paywall); Oxford epidemiologists think that there might be far more undetected cases than the Imperial College modelling shows, with as much as half the UK population already infected. Could be good news if true:

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?desktop=true&segmentId=d8d3e364-5197-20eb-17cf-2437841d178a
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Andrew said:

Floater said:

Remember, this virus probably got into humans via food, before it became a respiratory illness.
    My local takeaways don't do bat soup and roasted pangolin :-)

My general approach is minimise all deliveries. I have had one amazon delivery and have one food delivery booked for next week. Then I don't intend having anymore for next month.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656
    They've created a total mess over who should still be going to work.

How is building yet another office block essential?

Clarity is needed
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kamski said:

Foss said:

eadric said:

I would say more likely on increase with Brexit jingoism in the mix now.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited March 2020
    stodge said:

A gorgeous afternoon here in lowland East London so Mrs Stodge and I ventured out for our authorised walk and visit to the corner shop(s). Plenty of people out and about though the absence of a school run has reduced traffic somewhat.

I’ve just been out for my first bike ride of the year. One advantage of working from home is it gave me the opportunity to get the bike out of mothballs and ready for the road again (as well as putting through a load of laundry and drying it on the line - big saving in electricity).

Cannock and Huntington are - quiet. I am not going to say eerily so. The crowds and traffic were comparable to mid-morning on a Sunday. But for a town that is normally queued solid at this time of day, it was definitely sleepy. I think I could have cycled along the A34 all the way to Stafford in perfect safety, and under normal circumstances, that would pretty well be suicide.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ahh ok, thanks.

Perhaps pizza is ok with several hundred degrees of heat? :-) *prays*

• Options
    edited March 2020

They've created a total mess over who should still be going to work.

How is building yet another office block essential?

Clarity is needed

I think this is valid question / criticism and really we should only be allowed essential workers on things like the Tube.

Not well I have a friend who is a part-time freelance journalist, they have expressed interest in trying to cover this story and are now worried the police might chase them down the motorway if they try to drive somewhere and are concerned how they prove they might have a story.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

The slightly stunning thing is that this is before the lock down. Of course a lot of people had been taking matters into their own hands but...
    This is PMI - so (I think) it is manager's expectations about NEXT month
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Up to 12,000 former NHS employees now agreed to come back to work and another nearly 7,000 medical students being released into the wild early.

Going to be a serious baptism of fire for the kids. No more senior members of staff will be able to give them "well when I were a junior doctor we did 100hr weeks, it were much tougher back then"...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It’s not a competition or a measure of how ‘we’ are doing let’s leave that until afterwards.
    I don't think my post indicated that I felt it was.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    Andrew said:

Foxy said:

Ahh ok, thanks.

Perhaps pizza is ok with several hundred degrees of heat? :-) *prays*

Probably. Because if it’s that hot, it should incinerate any pineapple or other noxious foreign materials.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited March 2020

A very interesting article in the FT (no paywall); Oxford epidemiologists think that there might be far more undetected cases than the Imperial College modelling shows, with as much as half the UK population already infected. Could be good news if true:

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?desktop=true&segmentId=d8d3e364-5197-20eb-17cf-2437841d178a

I got paywalled, but google

Coronavirus may have infected half of UK population — Oxford study

to get round it.

Fantastic news if true.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Those in ICU, I believe. A 20% drop in lung capacity, though with time some may gradually recover a bit.
    I normal times, ICU is where ARDS is managed.
    Thank you - very useful
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I still can't get my head round the fact that 44,000 people died in the UK from flu in thw winter of 2014/2015 and nobody raised as much as an eyebrow.

I get that this virus is much worse but 44,000 flu deaths! Blinking heck, across five months that's 9k per month (roughly 300 a day). That's still big numbers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IshmaelZ said:

to get round it.

Fantastic news if true.
    Ah, I think it's non-paywalled if you get there from this tweet:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1242489840068894720
  • Options
    edited March 2020

In a way that would be amazing news if 50% of the population already have it.

"The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest."

That would mean Italy probably had it in December, that means it spread from China almost as soon as it emerged. Possible I guess.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

I still can't get my head round the fact that 44,000 people died in the UK from flu in thw winter of 2014/2015 and nobody raised as much as an eyebrow.

I get that this virus is much worse but 44,000 flu deaths! Blinking heck, across five months that's 9k per month (roughly 300 a day). That's still big numbers.

We definitely have had news coverage when there has been a particular bad flu season.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

I really hope so.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

to get round it.

Fantastic news if true.
    Or to read the research paper itself...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j9c/Draft-COVID-19-Model (13).pdf?dl=0

Fun for Bayesians!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Fenster said:

I agree. It's not that I think the coronavirus reaction is wrong, but it is remarkable what we tolerate since it is normalised. Road traffic deaths is another.

And it's not inevitable. Some Scandi countries have invested into 'Vision Zero' programs to dramatically reduce road traffic deaths and I believe Hong Kong generally takes the flu much more seriously than us (closing schools etc to stymie outbreaks).
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IshmaelZ said:

to get round it.

Fantastic news if true.
    Or to read the research paper itself...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxmu2rwsnhi9j9c/Draft-COVID-19-Model (13).pdf?dl=0
    Thanks MBE.

Can these researchers not use latex though !!!! Pet peeve of mine.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654

guybrush said:

TOPPING said:

guybrush said:

Not impressed with TFL - right f*ck*p merchants. It was the end of last week before my senior PM acquaintance there went in to collect stuff to work from home.

Had been travelling on the Tube throughout.
  • Options

This is indeed my hope, based on my own (entirely unscientific) assumptions. Would explain why *detected* infection rates remain *relatively* low on the cruise ships, and also why even Iran is seeing a declining rate of growth in new infections.

Of course, I want to believe this, and a safety-first lock down policy was/is the right decision.
  • Options

"The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest."

That would mean Italy probably had it in December, that means it spread from China almost as soon as it emerged. Possible I guess.
    It would be street party bunting news.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815

How could London be suddenly getting loads of hospitalisations if 50% of people had already been infected nationwide (and presumably more than that in London) ?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Fenster said:

I`m with you. I think it`s because CV-19 is new and scary. And there is no vaccine yet. I continue to believe - though my view is not well represented on this forum - that the global response is an error. A very serious health crisis is being parlayed into a very serious economic and loss of liberty crisis.
  • Options

How could London be suddenly getting loads of hospitalisations if 50% of people had already been infected nationwide (and presumably more than that in London) ?
    Severity due to viral load?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,783
    edited March 2020
    Quincel said:

Fenster said:

I agree. It's not that I think the coronavirus reaction is wrong, but it is remarkable what we tolerate since it is normalised. Road traffic deaths is another.

And it's not inevitable. Some Scandi countries have invested into 'Vision Zero' programs to dramatically reduce road traffic deaths and I believe Hong Kong generally takes the flu much more seriously than us (closing schools etc to stymie outbreaks).
    The WHO estimates that globally about 4.6 million people die from air pollution every year. That's around 12,500 every day.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Fenster said:

SSSSHHHHHH! Don't mention that Government Stat, you will get a barage of abuse, those 44,000 deaths don't count becuase it was flu. Thats an average of 473 deaths a day due to flu. Do you remember the afternoon annoucement from the Department of Health informing the country of these deaths?
  • Options
    Don't let Big Dom see this paper, he will back pestering all the egg-heads to go for herd-immunity again.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,505
    MattW said:

guybrush said:

TOPPING said:

guybrush said:

Not impressed with TFL - right f*ck*p merchants. It was the end of last week before my senior PM acquaintance there went in to collect stuff to work from home.

Had been travelling on the Tube throughout.
    Guess who wanted automated Tube trains?
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815

Severity due to viral load?
    But why would viral load be so high now, when it would have been higher when 50% of people were getting infected?

Most tests are still coming back negative at the moment.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Is anyone keeping a note of companies to have trashed their reputation during the current crisis? So far I have Britannia Hotels, Wetherspoons and JD Sports. Any others?

In fairness, none of those companies had much of a reputation to defend. But yes, dire acts by them all.
    I think Mr Meeks meant Sports Direct, not JD Sports.

In a similar vein, Elon Musk has been covering himself in his usual glory:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/mar/19/elon-musk-coronavirus-tesla-factory-california

In addition to his usual publicity whore persona, he's managed to channel both Mike Ashley and Donald Trump.

• Options
    davidcdavidc Posts: 13
    Hello all, I just joined this forum after lurking for a while.

I actually joined in order to ask what the collective opinion of Nassim Taleb is?

I have read the Black Swan and thought it was good (though would have preferred if it was an essay).

Though I have a suspicion he doesn't understand this crisis (he has in the past said no one knows anything, perhaps he should extend that to himself).

He seems quite arrogant, I have a sneaking suspicion he isn't half as clever as he thinks he is.

Also any suggestions on other popular writers on the topic of risk, that I may want to read?

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.