Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The current big UK betting market: Who’ll be next Shadow Chanc

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,298

Mr. Doethur, I did find it interesting that it ended there rather than in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field (which I remember learning about in the first episode of Blackadder).

Without going into too much detail, there were several phases to what are now called ‘the Wars of the Roses:’

Phase 1 - an attempt to remove power from Henry VI and the Dukes of Somerset, and place it in the hands of a council led by the principal heirs of the King, particularly York.

Phase 2 - when this had failed, an attempt, ultimately partially successful, to remove Henry VI from the throne and replace him with York.

Phase 3 - the removal of Edward IV, who had made several silly errors and alienated the Neville family (Warwick, Montagu and Bedford) and restore Henry VI.

Phase 4 - the removal and ultimately murder of Henry VI and the re-establishment of Edward IV.

This is what Weir covers. Ultimately, this was caused by the weakness and incompetence of Henry VI. That is what caused York, and later Edward, to seek power for themselves. Once Henry VI and his son were dead, the issue was effectively settled, so arguably, the wars finished.

However, there was a coda:

Phase 5 - with the premature death of Edward IV, his two sons were kidnapped and their uncle usurped the throne. This destabilised the whole realm and caused a search for an alternative King. Ultimately, Richard III’s enemies settled on the Earl of Richmond, who had the crucial backing of the Stanleys (and possibly Northumberland) and was in a position to marry Edward IV’s eldest daughter. This is ultimately why he won at Bosworth and became Henry VII.

Phase 6 - an invasion from Ireland led by a carpenter from Oxford called Lambert Simnel, which was really an attempt by disaffected followers of Richard (Notably Francis Lovell and John, Earl of Lincoln) to retake power. It was defeated at the Battle of Stoke.

Phase 7 - a conspiracy centred around a Flemish boy called Perkin Warbeck and backed by Margaret of Burgundy (Richard III’s sister) which succeeded in causing rioting in Cornwall but was ended by Warbeck’s capture in 1497 and execution in 1499.

Ultimately however phases 5-7 were not a dynastic struggle. Rather they were a power struggle within the Yorkists themselves, caused by the idiocy of Richard III. So it is arguably whether they were actually part of the Wars of the Roses, even though the Tudors had an interest in making them so (because Henry VII as Henry VI’s nephew and John of Gaunt’s great great grandson was anxious to emphasise his royal connections).

So that is why Tewkesbury marks the end of ‘Lancaster v York’ in Alison Weir’s estimation.
  • Options
    I’ve just looked again at that post.

It’s a good job I didn’t go into too much detail...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,012
    felix said:

On Spanish Tv there is a sign permanantly on the screen - #queda en casa - that helps t push home the basic message. There are still problems here with people from the big cities trying to get to second homes but some tentative signs that here in the south the rate of infection increase may be slowing. Lockdown life is pretty dull but set against the alternative... I just don't see why so many in the UK are failing to get it.

Stupidity
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Doethur, ah, didn't know about parts 6 and 7.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
    alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

On Spanish Tv there is a sign permanantly on the screen - #queda en casa - that helps t push home the basic message. There are still problems here with people from the big cities trying to get to second homes but some tentative signs that here in the south the rate of infection increase may be slowing. Lockdown life is pretty dull but set against the alternative... I just don't see why so many in the UK are failing to get it.

Not to mention it's Death or Bongo: You can have a lockdown, or you can have a bunch of people dying, followed by a lockdown.
    https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1241465632589254656
    Complete codswallop.
    Whether it is or not, I think there is a big problem with graphs being bandied about on social media because in their different forms they are all showing different things, and as a result, difficult to interpret whether they are good or bad news. With key variants being whether they are on log or straight line scales, and whether they are showing total deaths/confirmed cases or NEW deaths/confirmed cases. And I say this as somebody who would understand it if explained properly (the fear is that people like Trump wouldn’t but would order action taken on them anyway).

In the early days (and still) we were constantly told about the need to “flatten the curve”. But that was in the context of peak new and/or “active” cases (with the knock on effect on hospitals). Probably on a straight line scale. Hence cases rising to a peak and returning back to a low level (before potentially spiking again). Having drilled that into people we are now seeing all sorts of graphs with flattening (or otherwise) curves - but these are usually total cases (and complicated by whether they are log scales or not). And then the mistake is made of using the latter to assess progress towards the former objective. All very confusing.

What is further difficult to comprehend is how the gap gets filled between where we/other countries are now, and where the experts hope to see us in future. So in the U.K. we are currently at c230 deaths and 50 new per day. But the chief scientific officer talks about 20k deaths as potentially being a reasonably optimistic outcome (i’m not sure if that is this summer, this year, or in total). Which begs the question of quite how much worse the deaths figures are likely to get in coming weeks and months. Are we talking about daily levels of Spain and Italy now, or much worse than that? Do we have a graph of the distribution of the 20,000 in circulation? Etc etc.

Apologies for lengthy post, but I think it just shows how difficult simplistic graphical representations of the science are, and how difficult it is to imagine what is, or might be, to come.
    I’d agree with that entirely.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.
    Morning Gideon, how are the family this morning? Hope they are no worse.
    Thanks for asking. My wife is in bed and I'm just trying to keep the household going. She couldn't sleep last night as she said she was struggling to breathe. I slept on a camping bed in the other room.

Using the spo2 measure that Foxy recommended and her oxygen saturation is fine so. It's good to have one for those who haven't.

Boys seem ok just trashing my house.
    Take care.
    If saturation goes below 93%, or respiratory rate above 30 per minute, usually coupled with a rising heart rate, then needs professional assessment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

There is a character limit. Sadly.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.
    Thanks for asking. My wife is in bed and I'm just trying to keep the household going. She couldn't sleep last night as she said she was struggling to breathe. I slept on a camping bed in the other room.

Using the spo2 measure that Foxy recommended and her oxygen saturation is fine so. It's good to have one for those who haven't.

Take care.
    If saturation goes below 93%, or respiratory rate above 30 per minute, usually coupled with a rising heart rate, then needs professional assessment.
    Any chance of a refresher regarding the spo2 measure that Gideon refers to?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Not to mention it's Death or Bongo: You can have a lockdown, or you can have a bunch of people dying, followed by a lockdown.
    Complete codswallop.
    Apologies for lengthy post, but I think it just shows how difficult simplistic graphical representations of the science are, and how difficult it is to imagine what is, or might be, to come.
    Oh man.

Look. There's a bloody upward curve. Does it have to be treated as if it were a Festschrift?!!!!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    At bedtime mine is 93 already, and I am not ill. Is that bad?

In the mornings it is 98, which I presume is good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Complete codswallop.
    Whether it is or not, I think there is a big problem with graphs being bandied about on social media because in their different forms they are all showing different things, and as a result, difficult to interpret whether they are good or bad news. With key variants being whether they are on log or straight line scales, and whether they are showing total deaths/confirmed cases or NEW deaths/confirmed cases. And I say this as somebody who would understand it if explained properly (the fear is that people like Trump wouldn’t but would order action taken on them anyway).

In the early days (and still) we were constantly told about the need to “flatten the curve”. But that was in the context of peak new and/or “active” cases (with the knock on effect on hospitals). Probably on a straight line scale. Hence cases rising to a peak and returning back to a low level (before potentially spiking again). Having drilled that into people we are now seeing all sorts of graphs with flattening (or otherwise) curves - but these are usually total cases (and complicated by whether they are log scales or not). And then the mistake is made of using the latter to assess progress towards the former objective. All very confusing.

What is further difficult to comprehend is how the gap gets filled between where we/other countries are now, and where the experts hope to see us in future. So in the U.K. we are currently at c230 deaths and 50 new per day. But the chief scientific officer talks about 20k deaths as potentially being a reasonably optimistic outcome (i’m not sure if that is this summer, this year, or in total). Which begs the question of quite how much worse the deaths figures are likely to get in coming weeks and months. Are we talking about daily levels of Spain and Italy now, or much worse than that? Do we have a graph of the distribution of the 20,000 in circulation? Etc etc.

I’d agree with that entirely.
    subject to some editing
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Look, we all know statistics can be manipulated.

The trend is your friend. And it's grim in the US. It's grim in the UK.

Geddit?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    ydoethur said:

Mr. Doethur, I did find it interesting that it ended there rather than in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field (which I remember learning about in the first episode of Blackadder).

Without going into too much detail, there were several phases to what are now called ‘the Wars of the Roses:’

Phase 1 - an attempt to remove power from Henry VI and the Dukes of Somerset, and place it in the hands of a council led by the principal heirs of the King, particularly York.

Phase 2 - when this had failed, an attempt, ultimately partially successful, to remove Henry VI from the throne and replace him with York.

Phase 3 - the removal of Edward IV, who had made several silly errors and alienated the Neville family (Warwick, Montagu and Bedford) and restore Henry VI.

Phase 4 - the removal and ultimately murder of Henry VI and the re-establishment of Edward IV.

This is what Weir covers. Ultimately, this was caused by the weakness and incompetence of Henry VI. That is what caused York, and later Edward, to seek power for themselves. Once Henry VI and his son were dead, the issue was effectively settled, so arguably, the wars finished.

However, there was a coda:

Phase 5 - with the premature death of Edward IV, his two sons were kidnapped and their uncle usurped the throne. This destabilised the whole realm and caused a search for an alternative King. Ultimately, Richard III’s enemies settled on the Earl of Richmond, who had the crucial backing of the Stanleys (and possibly Northumberland) and was in a position to marry Edward IV’s eldest daughter. This is ultimately why he won at Bosworth and became Henry VII.

Phase 6 - an invasion from Ireland led by a carpenter from Oxford called Lambert Simnel, which was really an attempt by disaffected followers of Richard (Notably Francis Lovell and John, Earl of Lincoln) to retake power. It was defeated at the Battle of Stoke.

Phase 7 - a conspiracy centred around a Flemish boy called Perkin Warbeck and backed by Margaret of Burgundy (Richard III’s sister) which succeeded in causing rioting in Cornwall but was ended by Warbeck’s capture in 1497 and execution in 1499.

Ultimately however phases 5-7 were not a dynastic struggle. Rather they were a power struggle within the Yorkists themselves, caused by the idiocy of Richard III. So it is arguably whether they were actually part of the Wars of the Roses, even though the Tudors had an interest in making them so (because Henry VII as Henry VI’s nephew and John of Gaunt’s great great grandson was anxious to emphasise his royal connections).

So that is why Tewkesbury marks the end of ‘Lancaster v York’ in Alison Weir’s estimation.
    What I found astonishing when reading about the Wars of the Roses was quite how important “claims” to the throne (however weak/tenuous) were, and how by the end of them there was almost nobody with a claim of even highly obscure origin left alive. To the extent that in the end the person with arguably the weakest (male) claim ended up on the throne (Henry VII - albeit owned by victory on the Battlefield which complicated things), but who was followed by someone whose claim was probably pretty rock solid (not withstanding the stuff about Bolingbroke undermining the Lancastrian claim) - ie Henry VIII by virtue of his mother, if not his father.

(The complete disappearance of claimants to the throne of any legitimacy probably explains in part the emergence of presumed pretenders - the irony being that even some of the were claiming to be pretty tenuous claimants themselves!).
  • Options
    isam said:

The boredom of self isolation...

Did you know that if you rest one of your testicles on top of an empty beer bottle, and hold a flame at the base, eventually it gets sucked inside......If you've done this and know how to get it out, message me please...

Urgently!!

Did you get it out yet
  • Options
    I agree things look bad in the US. But that's another dodgy graph; it all depends on where you start the graph from. The US actually withheld testing from people in the early stages, and it took an age for them to get to 5000 cases. Since when they have rapidly been catching up. So obviously starting the graph at 5000 paints a false picture.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

One of the great things about the Wars of the Roses is it has memorable characters almost without limit.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Does anyone still think Dominic Cummings is intelligent? I’m willing to bet he was the one who buggered up over exams as well.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Best wishes to you both, Mr W. And to those others of our community who ill. How is Mr Charles Snr this morning?
  • Options
    SockySocky Posts: 404

London Fields was full of hipsters yesterday.
    Broadway Market was still operating, albeit probably at reduced capacity.
    I literally heard one girl mention to her boyfriend that they needed truffle oil.

The social distancing thing has not reached Hackney yet.

So another fall in Guardian readership on the way...
  • Options
    Mr. Alex, that reminds me a bit of the veneer of democracy many dodgy places like to paint over reality.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Does anyone still think Dominic Cummings is intelligent? I’m willing to bet he was the one who buggered up over exams as well.
    He's intelligent, I suspect, by pretty well all measuring systems.

The trouble is that somewhere down the line he missed out on humanity.

Rather like the remark Denis Healey is reported to have made about David Owen.
  • Options
    Mr. Wise, hope all goes well.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He worked out a logical end point, without thinking through a route map for getting there that avoided terrible human and political consequences.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If he’s intelligent, how come he keeps demonstrating he is so ignorant and thoughtless?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

David Cameron once said Dominic Cummings was a 'career psychopath', this is further proof for David Cameron's assertion.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If he’s intelligent, how come he keeps demonstrating he is so ignorant and thoughtless?
    As I said, it's Healey/Owen thing.
    Healey is alleged to have said that when Own was born, the fairies gathered around and the good fairies gave him looks, brains and ability. However the bad fairy then made him a shit.

Owen is still about, BTW. Just written a book apparently.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    My guess is that Nandy will get Home Office.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

One of the great things about the Wars of the Roses is it has memorable characters almost without limit.
    Indeed.
    But even Shakespeare was forced to use multiple posts to describe them.
  • Options
    And in so doing allegedly (it’s not totally clear*) misrepresented the Govt’s strategy. Still no surprise to have it confirmed that he was the “senior downing st source” who was responsible for the phrase “herd immunity” getting out there.

*i say that because although there was much in the news about a changed approach in response to the Imperial college study, I do wonder if that study was actually used an a convenient excuse to make it look like the Govt had changed strategy, when what has actually happened is broadly in line with what was intended all along. They absolutely had to get the perception that they were pursuing herd immunity out of the public consciousness.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Mr. Alex, that reminds me a bit of the veneer of democracy many dodgy places like to paint over reality.

Painting veneers is like firing arrows. You glue them.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If we could have been sure on the numbers then it might have made sense as a strategy.

But given the uncertainty it was reckless in the extreme. The country will pay a heavy price for that mistake.

A week or so ago I referred to the strategic mistake as akin to a communication failure during WW2 where a ship gets sunk. But that is an understatement of how it is going to be actually living through this thing. We make a mistake and then for 12 weeks or more the consequences will be reveleaed. In that period, the country will just watch on aghast.

Thank god the government eventually changed their minds. Assuming they didnt initially support the herd strategy, Ferguson and his team at Imperial are heroes who will have saved 100,000s.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    alex_ said:

Nigelb said:

felix said:

Complete codswallop.

Well said.

It's extremely irresponsible for geeks, particularly "data scientists" to be churning out these graphs and publishing them on social media, and even worse is the press itself spreading them. Maybe make them to satisfy your own curiosity, but be very wary of letting others see them.

Every graph that isn't produced by an epidemiologist (or someone else with the appropriate knowledge) ought to have a giant bright-red warning label saying "I don't actually know what I'm talking about".
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    alex_ said:

And in so doing allegedly (it’s not totally clear*) misrepresented the Govt’s strategy. Still no surprise to have it confirmed that he was the “senior downing st source” who was responsible for the phrase “herd immunity” getting out there.

*i say that because although there was much in the news about a changed approach in response to the Imperial college study, I do wonder if that study was actually used an a convenient excuse to make it look like the Govt had changed strategy, when what has actually happened is broadly in line with what was intended all along. They absolutely had to get the perception that they were pursuing herd immunity out of the public consciousness.
    So what your saying is that the government masterfully and purposefully cultivated the image of making it up as they go along, rather than actually making it up as they go along.

Well, it’s a point of view I suppose.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    When all of this is over it will be wildly entertain g to look back over posts from the end of Feb through to now to observe the posters who both backed and confidentially described the Government's 'strategy' as if it was some grand unified plan rather than a series of buttock clenching jumps and stabs in the dark.

The 'herd immunity by winter'ists will be the first in front of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Closely followed by 'the science has changed' arse coverer brigade.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

He worked out a logical end point, without thinking through a route map for getting there that avoided terrible human and political consequences.
    I suspect it’s possible that the human consequence - a dramatic relative reduction in OAPs - might have entered quite significantly into his thinking.
  • Options
    Mr. Z, ha, touche.

Must be said, although a pet hate, it's very easy to fall into firing arrows.

It's markedly less stupid than the cliche of archers drawing back their bowstrings and just holding it for a minute or so.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    And is there a recommended brand/device? Had a quick look on Amazon and there is a large price range; I am wary of getting a cheap one
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He has the classic mark of a really stupid person of thinking that when he has a interesting idea he is the first person in the history of the universe to have had the idea.

He also has the touchingly naive SeanT like belief in the power of AI/tech to solve problems.

That blog post on defence procurement (amongst other things) was a howling void of nonsense.
  • Options

I think a hope for the UK moving forward is that we probably had a higher rate of self-imposed containment than a lot of other countries - Spain, Italy, and above all the US, for example - before official measures kicked in. We’ve focused on those who did not change their routines, but a shedload of people did.

Yep, hopefully. It was arguably a bit rich of Macron to have allegedly lectured the British about laxity of measures taken, having gone ahead with an election in France and seen the population of Paris take that as their cue to spend a sunny afternoon picnicking in the parks.

Incidentally re: that election - am I correct in thinking (I haven’t checked) that most French elections have two rounds of voting and the recent vote was round 1? If so when’s round 2 (or was it round 2/there is no round 2?)
  • Options
    A key point here is that Tim Shipman is the reporter.

• Options

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    And is there a recommended brand/device? Had a quick look on Amazon and there is a large price range; I am wary of getting a cheap one
    I think they are all muchness of muchness. Try looking at the reviews and see if they look legit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Mr. Z, ha, touche.

Must be said, although a pet hate, it's very easy to fall into firing arrows.

It's markedly less stupid than the cliche of archers drawing back their bowstrings and just holding it for a minute or so.

I re read the Once and Future King the other day and was disappointed to note that White is an incurable arrow firer.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,692
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

I agree things look bad in the US. But that's another dodgy graph; it all depends on where you start the graph from. The US actually withheld testing from people in the early stages, and it took an age for them to get to 5000 cases. Since when they have rapidly been catching up. So obviously starting the graph at 5000 paints a false picture.
    Indeed - someone has probably spend a lot of time re-cutting that graph to find the parameters which make their point most persuasively.

In event, number of cases is becoming increasingly meaningless as already patchy testing becomes even more patchy.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    OT Japan seems to have mostly decided the problem is if you're in a closed space with lots of people and bad ventilation, and if we just try not to do that as much then everything will be fine. There's still hardly any testing, and they're reopening the schools.

It's a useful experiment for everybody else to look at, I guess...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    We know that figures have at least a two week delay. We know that we shouldn't take today's figures and make judgements about whether the policies of a day ago have failed. But we're still doing it. PB is a mess at the moment.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think a hope for the UK moving forward is that we probably had a higher rate of self-imposed containment than a lot of other countries - Spain, Italy, and above all the US, for example - before official measures kicked in. We’ve focused on those who did not change their routines, but a shedload of people did.

Yep, hopefully. It was arguably a bit rich of Macron to have allegedly lectured the British about laxity of measures taken, having gone ahead with an election in France and seen the population of Paris take that as their cue to spend a sunny afternoon picnicking in the parks.

Incidentally re: that election - am I correct in thinking (I haven’t checked) that most French elections have two rounds of voting and the recent vote was round 1? If so when’s round 2 (or was it round 2/there is no round 2?)
    Round 2 has been suspended. Round 1 turnout was massively down, unsurprisingly.

• Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Pulse oximeters were designed using off the shelf components: one red led and one infra-red (the ones used in remote controls) plus sensors. They will need a chip to compare the results, but they are probably standard too.
    In other words, it shouldn’t cost very much to make a perfectly serviceable one. I’m not saying there aren’t dodgy ones out there, but a working one shouldn’t have to be expensive.
  • Options

OT Japan seems to have mostly decided the problem is if you're in a closed space with lots of people and bad ventilation, and if we just try not to do that as much then everything will be fine. There's still hardly any testing, and they're reopening the schools.

Another finger pointing at air travel
  • Options

We know that figures have at least a two week delay. We know that we shouldn't take today's figures and make judgements about whether the policies of a day ago have failed. But we're still doing it. PB is a mess at the moment.

Your evidence for that last sentence is...?
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Pulse oximeters were designed using off the shelf components: one red led and one infra-red (the ones used in remote controls) plus sensors. They will need a chip to compare the results, but they are probably standard too.
    In other words, it shouldn’t cost very much to make a perfectly serviceable one. I’m not saying there aren’t dodgy ones out there, but a working one shouldn’t have to be expensive.
    Mine was the ATMOKO one off Amazon for £17. It appears to work fine, assuming my reading really is at 93 at bedtime.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    The Sunday press is the opportunity for spleen venting by all of those with axes to grind. Not sure if I trust most of it.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Cummings' approach is perfectly intelligent if all you care about are utilitarian ends: resolving the crisis quickly, minimizing economic damage, improving the national dependency ratio and lowering long-term pension and health costs. He may even be proved right eventually if the world fails to get a handle on the crisis and it ends up spreading uncontrollably with no effective vaccine in sight.

It's utterly inhumane, but not unintelligent.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

We know Johnson's Ship of Fools has failed. The only unknown at this point is the body count.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

He has the classic mark of a really stupid person of thinking that when he has a interesting idea he is the first person in the history of the universe to have had the idea.

He also has the touchingly naive SeanT like belief in the power of AI/tech to solve problems.

That blog post on defence procurement (amongst other things) was a howling void of nonsense.
    So Dom'll shortly be claiming to have been the first person to have seen it coming? ;)
  • Options

Cummings' approach is perfectly intelligent if all you care about are utilitarian ends: resolving the crisis quickly, minimizing economic damage, improving the national dependency ratio and lowering long-term pension and health costs. He may even be proved right eventually if the world fails to get a handle on the crisis and it ends up spreading uncontrollably with no effective vaccine in sight.

He does seem to have very low emotional intelligence.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Bought a cheap one on Amazon - seems to work fine - Foxy said they were all much of a muchness. The other things he recommended were a peak flow meter (for lung capacity- take a baseline when you're well) - again, bought a cheap one and thermometer.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

We know Johnson's Ship of Fools has failed. The only unknown at this point is the body count.
    Care to outline what wildly successful policy PM Dura Ace would have implemented, when, and on what basis?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    IanB2 said:

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Mine was the ATMOKO one off Amazon for £17. It appears to work fine, assuming my reading really is at 93 at bedtime.
    Have you tried taking several deep breaths and seeing if the percentage goes up?
    I am NOT a medical professional of course, so take any advice I give with a large amount of salt. Unless you have high blood pressure...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

alex_ said:

So what your saying is that the government masterfully and purposefully cultivated the image of making it up as they go along, rather than actually making it up as they go along.

Well, it’s a point of view I suppose.
    Precisely! ;)

Originally the media messaging problem was how to gradually introduce new measures without generating headlines of “U-turns” as opposed to their preferred “a question of timing”. But then after Cummings went off message, they actually needed to change the message to give the impression that they HAD actually undertaken a U-turn to snuff out the extremely damaging “herd immunity” stuff. But if you look at what’s actually been done on the ground it rather looks like it has broadly been following something of a natural progression.

Where they have clearly been making it up as they go along (but not totally unjustifiably given the unprecedented nature of what has been going on) is on the Economic side. They’ve embarked on a completely different journey there where absolutely nobody know where we’re going to end....
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403

Andy_JS said:
    Yes, this is exactly the point I've been trying to make in my recent posts. We are (mostly) not a nation of selfish hoarders. Rather the problem is simply the inevitable consequence of disruption to a finely tuned supply chain.

While the supermarkets ramp up supplies and people's cupboards fill, the shelves will remain sparsely filled. But when the two curves meet, the shelves will quite suddenly appear full again, as if by magic.
    This also shows the “Project Fear” projections of empty shelves in the event of no-deal Brexit were spot on.
    No it doesn't.
  • Options
    If you're not where you want to be now - get there pronto, while you still can:

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1241634613774241792?s=20
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Macron looking for someone to blame.

Bit like Trump blaming the Chinese

(I'm actually being serious. There is no public health benefit from him briefing that out)
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

So if it works the National Trust can reopen its fields and gardens, just keep the cafes closed. But stay away from hospitals, doctors' surgeries and pharmacies which seem the most dangerous places in the country.

Calling all PB medics. - is this significant for dealing with the UK outbreak?

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/18/breaking-controlled-clinical-study-conducted-doctors-​in-france-shows-hydroxychloroquine-cures-100-coronavirus-patients-within-6-days-treatment-covidtrial-io/

and if it's promising could you get it on a GP's prescription while ill at home?
    https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1764/pil

Asking for elderly friends.
  • Options

You don’t sound quite so confident in them as you were...?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Foxy suggested that cold hands can trick the devices. Warm your hands up, using whatever method is your preference, before use.
  • Options

No, it's fucking stupid. Five minutes with a calculator shows that the approach would render the NHS totally non functional under the weight of cases.

Orders of magnitude more people would die. The economy would totally collapse under the weight of the sick.

It is not utilitarian, it's the idea of a self confident moron.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Have you tried taking several deep breaths and seeing if the percentage goes up?
    My cheapo one does. The only oddity is it produces a higher pulse rate than my blood pressure monitor.
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,085
    edited March 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Nigelb said:

I came across a celebrity who has not been tested (!)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/21/lewis-hamilton-self-isolating-but-showing-no-coronavirus-symptoms
    I did speak to my doctor and double checked if I needed to take a test but the truth is, there is a limited amount of tests available and there are people who need it more than I do, especially when I wasn’t showing any symptoms at all. So what I’ve done is keep myself isolated this past week...

Has anybody rich or famous died from the virus yet? I did see an Italian architect had died a few days ago but I didn’t recognize the name.
    You’ll have to ask our official scorekeeper, @Dura_Ace .
    Nobody on the Dead Pool yet. I don't even think we have a confirmed infection.

I am splitting the contest into two awards:

Boomer Remover Dead Pool Champion
    - first nominated sleb to cark it of confirmed Covid-19 infection or conditions caused thereby.

Marco Bielsa Award for Sporting Excellence
    - first sleb to die who wasn't just a really old person found on Wikipedia.

In all cases the adjudicator's decision is final and not accessible to appeal.
    Judging by social media, it might be more fun to bet on which Sleb doesn't have it, is in self lockdown in their luxury mountain/island/forest retreat tweeting about how bad it is, or has been tested even though they have no symptoms and have never even had a sniffle?
  • Options

He’s also not a politician. Which is why all the politicians (not sure about Johnson) utterly distrust him.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    My cheapo one does. The only oddity is it produces a higher pulse rate than my blood pressure monitor.
    I can’t get the thing to stay on my tongue, it keeps slipping off.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Looking at these myself - a lot on Amazon are on 5-6 week delivery, obviously coming from China and probably never likely to arrive. If you spot one on for delivery in the next week please share.

PS searching on Amazon is the absolute pits isn't it? eBay much better for searching but eBay suppliers generally less reliable.
  • Options

Yes. Also, we have a different demographic profile and cultural habits to Italy.

Our population isn't as elderly. We don't go to Catholic mass en-masse. Brits do a bit less hugging and double-kissing in everyday life as a greeting. We live more in houses than flats and are slightly less communitarian.

The one exception to this may be the metropolitan cities, parricularly London, where cultural habits are very mixed and there are millions living in close proximity - a large number of which aren't changing their habits very much.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    I can’t get the thing to stay on my tongue, it keeps slipping off.
    Lol!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Bought a cheap one on Amazon - seems to work fine - Foxy said they were all much of a muchness. The other things he recommended were a peak flow meter (for lung capacity- take a baseline when you're well) - again, bought a cheap one and thermometer.
    Same here. Not used the spo2 gadget; temperature normal; peak flow 300 for the last week or two but this morning up to nearly 400 so there is an outside chance I've been ill the past few days without noticing.
  • Options

So if it works the National Trust can reopen its fields and gardens, just keep the cafes closed. But stay away from hospitals, doctors' surgeries and pharmacies which seem the most dangerous places in the country.

Calling all PB medics. - is this significant for dealing with the UK outbreak?

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/18/breaking-controlled-clinical-study-conducted-doctors-​in-france-shows-hydroxychloroquine-cures-100-coronavirus-patients-within-6-days-treatment-covidtrial-io/

and if it's promising could you get it on a GP's prescription while ill at home?
    https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1764/pil

Asking for elderly friends.
    I don't know but I do know it's restricted, private sales have been banned and the NHS taken control of all supply. I guess it's being tested (or held ready for such) on serious cases in hospitals.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Alistair said:

No, it's fucking stupid. Five minutes with a calculator shows that the approach would render the NHS totally non functional under the weight of cases.

Orders of magnitude more people would die. The economy would totally collapse under the weight of the sick.

It is not utilitarian, it's the idea of a self confident moron with private medical cover.
    Not so much corrected as enhanced for you.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    alex_ said:

You don’t sound quite so confident in them as you were...?
    I'm not. After a bunch of screw-ups with the cruise ship the government did (mostly) the right things in good time, and it had great results, which it's now in serious danger of pissing away.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Greedy Tory Barstewards , money over everything.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Only if the NHS tried to treat them... That’s his problem - his ideas only “work” if he has control of EVERYTHING.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    One thing does not quite add up about this Cummings story. He has been ill recently and his personal vulnerability/mortality will not be far from his mind.
  • Options

Yes. Also, we have a different demographic profile and cultural habits to Italy.

Our population isn't as elderly. We don't go to Catholic mass en-masse. Brits do a bit less hugging and double-kissing in everyday life as a greeting. We live more in houses than flats and are slightly less communitarian.

The one exception to this may be the metropolitan cities, parricularly London, where cultural habits are very mixed and there are millions living in close proximity - a large number of which aren't changing their habits very much.
    Somebody linked to a study yesterday that found the average Italian touches ten people a day compared to the average Brit's five. It is difficult to see how such a finding can be that reliable, but it illustrates the point.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

alterego said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

US numbers in now, +6513 cases (+48% daily), which is absolutely catastrophic. They are going to have the worst problem in the world.

In NYC and LA and Miami and San Francisco maybe, in West Virginia, Kansas, Wyoming and Montana probably not
    Los Angeles has relatively few cases - don't forget that it is very low density, and with bugger all public transport. In total there are 200-something in the whole of LA county.

And this is a place with more than 10 million people - 25% larger than NYC.

So, while I have no doubt that it will be hit relatively hard, it will probably grow less quickly here simply because there are so many fewer contact points.
    There is probably an earthquake lying in wait - is there a market on that?
    I was thinking just the same thing. Of course, angelinos will be well stocked with staples in the event of a quake :smile:
    I doubt that staples will be enough if there is an earthquake*.

You might need some glue as well... :smiley:

(* for pedants, I'm referring specifically to a horizontal strike slip)
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:
    What a stupid man.

Take care.
    Looking at these myself - a lot on Amazon are on 5-6 week delivery, obviously coming from China and probably never likely to arrive. If you spot one on for delivery in the next week please share.

PS searching on Amazon is the absolute pits isn't it? eBay much better for searching but eBay suppliers generally less reliable.
    Chinese deliveries are probably more reliable now than a month ago.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited March 2020
    Is anyone surprised that herd immunity had Cummings’ fingers all over it?

When a few of us pointed out that the strategy rested on assumptions which reporting from Korea, Japan et al already called into question, we were told to pipe down by the Tory fan-club.

HYUFD was at that stage still recommending broth.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Macron looking for someone to blame.

Bit like Trump blaming the Chinese

(I'm actually being serious. There is no public health benefit from him briefing that out)
    And Faisal Islam has a strong anti-Governement agenda.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It is not utilitarian, it's the idea of a self confident moron.
    Of course many more people would die - that's the inhumane part I was talking about! But would the economy itself necessarily collapse? The NHS would effectively suffer a heart attack for 3 months, and then, horrific as it is, it would all be over.

Just to make it crystal clear, I'm not advocating this approach - I love my oldies too much, and am pretty risk-averse myself.

• Options
    I love this. It’s from Mallorca. A rare outing internationally for Mallorquín, the local language (very close to Catalan).
    https://twitter.com/adamarch83/status/1241435230797533184?s=21
  • Options
    Mango said:

FPT about the EU allegedly objecting to the UK gov package on state aid grounds.

Article 107(2)(b) of the TFEU would seem to cover it:

"2. The following shall be compatible with the internal market:

(b) aid to make good the damage caused by natural disasters or exceptional occurrences;"

We shall see. But most likely file under Brexiteer arsewit propaganda.

That's a big file.

More accurate to file under "sensationalist journalism by the Deputy Political Editor of the Times"
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    edited March 2020

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Nigelb said:

I came across a celebrity who has not been tested (!)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/21/lewis-hamilton-self-isolating-but-showing-no-coronavirus-symptoms
    I did speak to my doctor and double checked if I needed to take a test but the truth is, there is a limited amount of tests available and there are people who need it more than I do, especially when I wasn’t showing any symptoms at all. So what I’ve done is keep myself isolated this past week...

Has anybody rich or famous died from the virus yet? I did see an Italian architect had died a few days ago but I didn’t recognize the name.
    You’ll have to ask our official scorekeeper, @Dura_Ace .
    Nobody on the Dead Pool yet. I don't even think we have a confirmed infection.

I am splitting the contest into two awards:

Boomer Remover Dead Pool Champion
    - first nominated sleb to cark it of confirmed Covid-19 infection or conditions caused thereby.

Marco Bielsa Award for Sporting Excellence
    - first sleb to die who wasn't just a really old person found on Wikipedia.

In all cases the adjudicator's decision is final and not accessible to appeal.
    Judging by social media, it might be more fun to bet on which Sleb doesn't have it, is in self lockdown in their luxury mountain/island/forest retreat tweeting about how bad it is, or has been tested even though they have no symptoms and have never even had a sniffle?
    In the event of my possible and, according to the laws of probability, overdue death my nephew has agreed to administer the DP. Should that eventuate you will have to type V E R Y S L O W L Y and use not big words as he is an RAF pilot (Voyager KC1).
  • Options

Alistair said:

It is not utilitarian, it's the idea of a self confident moron with private medical cover.
    Not so much corrected as enhanced for you.
    Completely irrelevant whether someone has private medical insurance. It will not do a jot of difference.

Last night you told me I was spreading hysteria memes regarding triage. Have a listen to this A&E consultant:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

He's giving his perspective of triage within hospitals. My perspective will be that quite a lot of patients will be triaged before they ever get near a hospital.
  • Options

To be honest looking at the stats I'm not sure the UK is in a good place witout further and rapid considerable tightening. Hope I'm wrong but..
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

We do go to mosques en masse, especially on Fridays. And supermarkets.

It will be interesting to discover how this is really spreading so we can see which measures are effective and which can be abandoned as not necessary. Is there evidence of rapid spread through opera-goers or tube travellers (and the London boroughs with high numbers sort of follow the Bakerloo line) or Muslims or parents of schoolchildren?
This discussion has been closed.