Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump bans all travel to Europe for a month from tomorrow excl

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,859
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

It's hard to say exactly what's coming from where.

Could it be coming from the Pandemic plan the government drew up in 2011?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213717/dh_131040.pdf
    My observations on this strategy document:
    • It does look like the government is sticking to the script outlined here
    • The strategy is about managing an epidemic in business as usual rather than an "all it takes" attack.
    • It doesn't take into account lessons from the SARS epidemic. Strictly neither SARS nor COVID-19 is influenza of course. Nevertheless Asian countries that were hit by SARS have adapted their strategies to a more preventative approach.
    The point, I think, is that there are two schools thought on how to tackle COVID-19. They are both scientifically based, so we need to be lead by the science.

My concerns about the UK's approach relate to Italy, in particular:
    • Is the current Italian situation envisaged in the UK's strategy?
    • If not, what is the UK doing differently from Italy, and in an effective way, to prevent us becoming a second Italy?
    I garbled this. I meant to say, there are two schools of thought about how best to manage the epidemic: manage it within business as usual or all-it-takes prevention. They are both science-based approaches so you can't just say, let's go with the science. You need to understand what each strategy is trying to achieve and make a decision based on what you think is more important. However, the all-it-takes prevention approach is informed by recent SARS epidemics.
    Indeed. It's remarkable how otherwise intelligent folk seem unable to grasp this point.
    Both those approaches can and will have been simulated with powerful computers.

What is the figure of merit? If it is to reduce deaths in the next 3 weeks, then probably you should shut down absolutely everything now.

However, the figure of merit should be to reduce the total number of deaths over the full course of the epidemic, say a year.

Once you have decided the figure of merit, there is a well-defined answer.

From what has been said, it is clear that the Government are taking a longer-term rather than a shorter-term view. A marathon, not a sprint.
    That sounds very naive to me. The figure of merit for a democratically elected government is its popularity come the next election, and popularity isn't based solely on lives saved. Things like individual freedom are also important to many people (see USA). The whole point is that the basis for the figure of merit depends on your political inclination.
    FFS, the Government is taking the advice of independent scientific advisors.

They are not Tories, they are probably not even very interested in politics -- and if they are, they are probably mildly left of centre.

They are decent, independent, highly experienced scientists, working for the good of the country, not the Government. They don't have to do this, and they are probably sweating blood to get this right.

And the Government will be taking their advice, because it is too dangerous not to. The scientific advisors would not be sitting quietly by, if their advice was being ignored.

The figure of merit will have no politics in it. It will be about saving most lives.

But, it is probably not about saving most lives in the next 3 weeks.
    You're just not getting it, are you? Where in my argument have I given any indication that the scientists are political? Once again, as I and others have pointed out repeatedly: it is the job of the experts is to lay out the options to the best of their ability. It is the job of the politicians to choose from those options. There is no obligation on the politicians to choose whatever option ultimately leads to the least loss of life. If that were true in general, things like smoking would have been banned ages ago.
    The analogy with smoking is fatuous.

The scientists know that their reputation is at stake. How do you think Chris Whitty feels with this huge burden to bear? This epidemic will be modelled and remodelled in future, and Whitty knows he must get the response right. Otherwise his name is shit.

If Whitty says this must be done to save the most lives, then Boris will do it. As has been stated by Philip Thomson, the heads of the devolved administrations attend these meetings.

So, you are saying it goes.

Chris Whitty & the Scientists: "This is what you need to do to minimise loss of life, we've done the modelling. "

Boris: "I am ignoring that I have got my Whiff-whaff meter and it tells me that it is best to maximise the GDP. It's really political. I'm the PM & I choose"

Nicola Sturgeon & Mark Drakeford: "Yeah, we go with Boris, and not the Scientists. He's the PM."
    Or you might ask them why the eff weren't we advising people with mild RTI symptoms like Nadine to self isolate ?

Because we are not trying to eliminate the virus. The govt plan is to let it spread a bit at this stage. Not a lot but a bit. Counter intuitive but has been explained many times on these threads.

Whether its right or wrong we dont know (and will never know as we wont run the parallel universes with alternative actions). The people best placed to make the call are the scientists with many inter disciplinary experts supporting them. It is a shit job for them and they do it with my support and gratitude.
    Sorry but that explanation does not pass the smell test.

Firstly, it is idiotic to risk the running of the government in this way (irrespective of any arguments about the general population). It says rather that the system is very slow to react to developing information about the bug.

Secondly, if the government plan is "to let it spread a bit at this stage", don't you think they might have shared that it of information with us ?

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869827/Coronavirus_action_plan_-_a_guide_to_what_you_can_expect_across_the_UK.pdf

Page 10 3.9• Delay: slow the spread in this country, if it does take hold, lowering the peak impact and pushing it away from the winter season
    Where in that does it say we should "let it spread a bit" ?
    Not giving people what is sensible advice to self-isolate (and which they are thinking about... !) is doing the precise opposite of slowing the spread.
  • Options
    Ireland closing schools, universities and public buildings.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213717/dh_131040.pdf
    • The strategy is about managing an epidemic in business as usual rather than an "all it takes" attack.
    • It doesn't take into account lessons from the SARS epidemic. Strictly neither SARS nor COVID-19 is influenza of course. Nevertheless Asian countries that were hit by SARS have adapted their strategies to a more preventative approach.
    The point, I think, is that there are two schools thought on how to tackle COVID-19. They are both scientifically based, so we need to be lead by the science.

• If not, what is the UK doing differently from Italy, and in an effective way, to prevent us becoming a second Italy?
    I garbled this. I meant to say, there are two schools of thought about how best to manage the epidemic: manage it within business as usual or all-it-takes prevention. They are both science-based approaches so you can't just say, let's go with the science. You need to understand what each strategy is trying to achieve and make a decision based on what you think is more important. However, the all-it-takes prevention approach is informed by recent SARS epidemics.
    Indeed. It's remarkable how otherwise intelligent folk seem unable to grasp this point.

What is the figure of merit? If it is to reduce deaths in the next 3 weeks, then probably you should shut down absolutely everything now.

However, the figure of merit should be to reduce the total number of deaths over the full course of the epidemic, say a year.

From what has been said, it is clear that the Government are taking a longer-term rather than a shorter-term view. A marathon, not a sprint.
    That sounds very naive to me. The figure of merit for a democratically elected government is its popularity come the next election, and popularity isn't based solely on lives saved. Things like individual freedom are also important to many people (see USA). The whole point is that the basis for the figure of merit depends on your political inclination.

They are not Tories, they are probably not even very interested in politics -- and if they are, they are probably mildly left of centre.

They are decent, independent, highly experienced scientists, working for the good of the country, not the Government. They don't have to do this, and they are probably sweating blood to get this right.

And the Government will be taking their advice, because it is too dangerous not to. The scientific advisors would not be sitting quietly by, if their advice was being ignored.

The figure of merit will have no politics in it. It will be about saving most lives.

You're just not getting it, are you? Where in my argument have I given any indication that the scientists are political? Once again, as I and others have pointed out repeatedly: it is the job of the experts is to lay out the options to the best of their ability. It is the job of the politicians to choose from those options. There is no obligation on the politicians to choose whatever option ultimately leads to the least loss of life. If that were true in general, things like smoking would have been banned ages ago.

The scientists know that their reputation is at stake. How do you think Chris Whitty feels with this huge burden to bear? This epidemic will be modelled and remodelled in future, and Whitty knows he must get the response right. Otherwise his name is shit.

If Whitty says this must be done to save the most lives, then Boris will do it. As has been stated by Philip Thomson, the heads of the devolved administrations attend these meetings.

Chris Whitty & the Scientists: "This is what you need to do to minimise loss of life, we've done the modelling. "

Boris: "I am ignoring that I have got my Whiff-whaff meter and it tells me that it is best to maximise the GDP. It's really political. I'm the PM & I choose"

Nicola Sturgeon & Mark Drakeford: "Yeah, we go with Boris, and not the Scientists. He's the PM."
    Or you might ask them why the eff weren't we advising people with mild RTI symptoms like Nadine to self isolate ?

Because we are not trying to eliminate the virus. The govt plan is to let it spread a bit at this stage. Not a lot but a bit. Counter intuitive but has been explained many times on these threads.

Whether its right or wrong we dont know (and will never know as we wont run the parallel universes with alternative actions). The people best placed to make the call are the scientists with many inter disciplinary experts supporting them. It is a shit job for them and they do it with my support and gratitude.

Firstly, it is idiotic to risk the running of the government in this way (irrespective of any arguments about the general population). It says rather that the system is very slow to react to developing information about the bug.

Secondly, if the government plan is "to let it spread a bit at this stage", don't you think they might have shared that it of information with us ?

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869827/Coronavirus_action_plan_-_a_guide_to_what_you_can_expect_across_the_UK.pdf

Page 10 3.9• Delay: slow the spread in this country, if it does take hold, lowering the peak impact and pushing it away from the winter season
    That's been pandemic advice for a century now. That doesn't mean the plan is to let it spread, the plan is actually saying the exact opposite of that!
    The plan is specifically to slow the spread, not trying to stop the spread.

So the proposals everyone is making to try and eliminate any possible spread with travel restrictions, home working etc are not part of the UK govt plan because if they go hard now, then the chance of a second peak in the winter is higher.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    geoffw said:

eristdoof said:

geoffw said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Classic Dom...
    Great stuff. I think I might start retweeting that clipped video of Boris then because that is the underlying truth of the plan.
    Doesn’t that mean exposing those most at risk to the virus? And what does that do to their chances?
    It means exposing those at least risk (i.e. children) to the virus so that their acquired immunity acts as a break (as in breakwater) on the spread of the virus in the wider population. Meanwhile older and vulnerable adults should hunker down in self-isolation. People born later than 1960, which includes most of the parents of schoolchildren, are at relatively low risk of fatalities from this disease. I hope Peston's interpretation of the government 's strategy wrt "herd immunity" is correct.
    Is this is advocationg that young people act as normal, but do not meet anyone over 60 because they are high risk? That is totally unworkable.
    No. The people at risk are those over 70 with various comorbidities. They are mainly retired and at home normally. It doesn't take much for them to self-isolate, even from their grandchildren for a while (until the herd immunity kicks in). The behaviour of young people can't be prescribed - they will do as they do.
    Not totally the case, it is apparently nearly twice as dangerous for someone in their forties or fifties with a comorbidity than for a healthy person in their sixties (personal experience speaking here and figures via the joint WHO/China mission report). Any plan that exists solely on age is not responding to the reality and putting people (like me, help!) in danger.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

From BBC website...

Sally Cunliffe's party guests are travelling across the UK and Europe to mark her 50th birthday, but should she cancel such a gathering?

The fact people are even considering this is mind blowing. The answer is clearly yes, yes, yes.

Not anymore. The policy is to drip feed this poison into the population so we can build up some immunity.

We are not trying to stop it anymore we want to smooth the curve.
    But we want to keep peak cases below NHS capacity. NHS capacity is apparently much more restricted than in France or USA.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,331

kamski said:

DavidL said:

Interesting though just how selective is our use of science. Science is about finding fact through the use of empirical evidence and experience.

We think we have the best knowledge base for pandemics of this nature? Do we f***

China. China. China. They know this stuff like the back of their hand. Look at how stringent they have been. Look at Hong Kong which is still scarred by the 2003 SARS outbreak. Their incredible measures have so far succeeded. Despite sharing borders with China they have kept cases to 130 total in the space of 2 months.

But Britain knows best.

They're an authoritarian dictatorship. We're not.
    SK isn't. Japan isn't. There are other less authoritarian models available.

The point about science is that it responds to the evidence. The evidence we have so far is that these east Asian models seem to work and Italy and Iran are disasters. The former may not prove to be true but scientists should be thinking about the new data available.
    And what have SK and Japan done that Italy hasn't?

Italy shut down schools, it shut down businesses, it implemented social distancing. It backfired and spread the disease further and faster.
    The things that Italy ended up doing at the barrel of a gun, Japan and SK did voluntarily and calmly *before it was too late*. The period between "you can do this calmly with limited damage" and "FUCK FUCK FUCK TOO LATE" is not very long. This is why on this particular issue I'm rantier than usual.
    That's not true.

Italy shut their schools etc in their affected regions on the 22nd February, at which point they had 79 recorded cases nationwide.
    I believe that on the 22nd February they only closed schools in a few towns.
    It was also already clear that the virus had already been circulating undetected in Lombardy at least, as they could not trace the infection back to any known case nor any travel to affected areas.
    They closed the schools and took other draconian actions in the affected areas. It didn't work.

On 22 February, the government announced a new decree imposing the quarantine of more than 50,000 people from 11 different municipalities in Northern Italy. The quarantine zones are called the Red Zones and the areas in Lombardy and Veneto outside of them are called the Yellow Zones.[133] Penalties for violations range from a €206 fine to three months of imprisonment.[134] The Italian military and law enforcement agencies were instructed to secure and implement the lockdown.[135]

Schools were closed in ten municipalities in Lombardy, one in Veneto and one in Emilia Romagna. All public events were cancelled and some commercial activities[which?] were halted or were allowed to resume only until 6 p.m.[136][137] All religious services were cancelled.[138] Regional train services to the most affected areas were suspended, with trains skipping stops at Codogno, Maleo and Casalpusterlengo stations.[139][140]
    OK but you said "regions", which is totally different.
    And you said the number of confirmed cases was only 79 - but it's not just the number that is important but whether you can trace the source, which they already couldn't.
    It is obvious the virus was already circulating widely in northern Italy by that time.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Indeed. No sensible politician is going to do anything but follow the scientists. If you move away from the science and it goes wrong your career is over. If you follow the science and it goes wrong then you are covered.

But in this case is there such a thing as THE science that can be followed?

Perhaps there are different valid approaches, all of them informed by science, that can be taken. Which one you choose then depends on what you are prioritizing.

For example, your number one priority could be any of -

Lowest total number of deaths.
    Flattest peak infection numbers.
    Avoidance of deep recession.
    Protection of NHS capacity.
    Etc.

If it so happens that all key objectives are aligned, i.e. are not in conflict with each other, then the political decision as to what to do becomes very easy, assuming the science is undisputed. But where there are conflicts - as there surely are - it is less so.

And ditto if the science itself is so uncertain that it is not really science at all but more educated guesswork.
    Exactly. The notion that politicians can simply say that are following the science and therefore cannot be blamed for the consequences is absurd. It is a minimum requirement that they follow the science; they should be judged on the political decisions that they make on the basis of that science.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    We've organised a family get-together at a big house in the middle of May. An English gathering of the clans. They will all come.

Well, the survivors will anyway.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

I think Irish universities have a Spring Break (called Study Week), which is next week.

So, there would be no lectures anyhow at most Irish Universities next week.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    "Overall the evidence shows that in most ways they are as safe as conventional motorways but not in every way"

Overall the evidence shows that in most ways russian roulette is as safe as conventional sports, but not in every way. (Actually, safer: the risk of limb breakage, tendon strain and joint damage is nil.) So we should take further measures to improve its safety.

Great, particularly at this juncture, to see the government has a handle on probability and risk assessment.
    I've heard a lot about this issue over the last few months. It's a bit like seat belts. They kill people who would have survived if they weren't wearing one. But they save many more lives of people who would have died without one.

You are a lot lot safer in a refuge area of a smart motorway than the hard shoulder of a regular motorway. But you are safer on the hard shoulder of a regular motorway than if you can't make it to a refuge area of a smart motorway.
    Yes. The issues are around what happens when a car stops in a live lane, usually the inside one with no shoulder. The matrix signs need to be faster to react, along with recovery crews. Advice needs to be to remain in your vehicle, and there need to be more refuge areas.
    I thought advice was [if its safe to do so] to get out of your vehicle and as far away from the road as possible?
    On a normal motorway yes, you should get out and off the road behind your vehicle.

AIUI a high proportion of the fatalities on the smart motorways have been people trying to evacuate their vehicles struck directly by other vehicles, rather than as a result of two vehicles colliding.

You’re safest of all well away from the road, then in your car, then as a pedestrian on the carriageway.
    Well yes don't exit onto the carriageway. I've broken down twice on the motorway, was able to make it to the hard should both times thankfully. Both times I exited my vehicle by climbing over onto the passenger seat and out the passenger side, I didn't open my own door onto the carriageway!

If you can make it onto the inside lane then I would think you can safely get out via the passenger side, you aren't going to be overtaken on the inside if you're already there. If you aren't on the inside lane then I think you're f***ed but you would have been with or without a hard shoulder.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009
    edited March 2020
    MattW said:

Relistening to the Budget Speech, is it just me or does Rishi Sunak sound slightly too much like Ed Milliband.

Keir Starmer sounds like Ed Miliband to me. Maybe he sounds like Rishi Sunak too!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:
    LOL

One of the judges: "I've seen it all; I've literally seen it all."
    Incredible! I think that judge might be Robin Thicke
    That’s him. He’d know all about dodgy dancing to music ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    CD13 said:

We've organised a family get-together at a big house in the middle of May. An English gathering of the clans. They will all come.

It won't be over by then. The government's model is 95% of those that will contract it will do so over a 3 month period, which they have estimated will start about a month after the first sustained community transmission i.e. this week.

Get ready for 6 months of this.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

That's been pandemic advice for a century now. That doesn't mean the plan is to let it spread, the plan is actually saying the exact opposite of that!

So the proposals everyone is making to try and eliminate any possible spread with travel restrictions, home working etc are not part of the UK govt plan because if they go hard now, then the chance of a second peak in the winter is higher.
    No. 🙄

The plan is to stop the spread if possible, if its not possible to stop the spread then the plan is to delay the spread. Neither of that means the plan is to "let it spread a bit".

Its not possible to "eliminate any possible spread" because we aren't an isolationist, authoritarian backwater with no contact with the outside world.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729

From BBC website...

Sally Cunliffe's party guests are travelling across the UK and Europe to mark her 50th birthday, but should she cancel such a gathering?

The fact people are even considering this is mind blowing. The answer is clearly yes, yes, yes.

Not anymore. The policy is to drip feed this poison into the population so we can build up some immunity.

We are not trying to stop it anymore we want to smooth the curve.
    So do we want some people to volunteer to get it early?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

Not giving people what is sensible advice to self-isolate (and which they are thinking about... !) is doing the precise opposite of slowing the spread.
    In contain the plan is prevent the disease spreading.
    In delay the plan is slow the spread of the disease.

There is a reason those words are chosen, and the tactics in delay are used to slow not prevent the spreading. Slow involves spreading a bit.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

There is a reason those words are chosen, and the tactics in delay are used to slow not prevent the spreading. Slow involves spreading a bit.
    No its an acknowledgement of reality, that containment has failed and can't succeed - not a choice not to contain.
  • Options
    According to The Times, the current season will not be postponed but games will be contested with no supporters present. All Premier League ticket holders for individual clashes will be able to stream coverage of matches in their homes instead.

They are missing a trick not just allowing anybody to buy a season pass.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

But that means they're not following the science! How can that be?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    "Overall the evidence shows that in most ways they are as safe as conventional motorways but not in every way"

Overall the evidence shows that in most ways russian roulette is as safe as conventional sports, but not in every way. (Actually, safer: the risk of limb breakage, tendon strain and joint damage is nil.) So we should take further measures to improve its safety.

Great, particularly at this juncture, to see the government has a handle on probability and risk assessment.
    I've heard a lot about this issue over the last few months. It's a bit like seat belts. They kill people who would have survived if they weren't wearing one. But they save many more lives of people who would have died without one.

You are a lot lot safer in a refuge area of a smart motorway than the hard shoulder of a regular motorway. But you are safer on the hard shoulder of a regular motorway than if you can't make it to a refuge area of a smart motorway.
    Yes. The issues are around what happens when a car stops in a live lane, usually the inside one with no shoulder. The matrix signs need to be faster to react, along with recovery crews. Advice needs to be to remain in your vehicle, and there need to be more refuge areas.
    I thought advice was [if its safe to do so] to get out of your vehicle and as far away from the road as possible?
    On a normal motorway yes, you should get out and off the road behind your vehicle.

AIUI a high proportion of the fatalities on the smart motorways have been people trying to evacuate their vehicles struck directly by other vehicles, rather than as a result of two vehicles colliding.

You’re safest of all well away from the road, then in your car, then as a pedestrian on the carriageway.
    Well yes don't exit onto the carriageway. I've broken down twice on the motorway, was able to make it to the hard should both times thankfully. Both times I exited my vehicle by climbing over onto the passenger seat and out the passenger side, I didn't open my own door onto the carriageway!

If you can make it onto the inside lane then I would think you can safely get out via the passenger side, you aren't going to be overtaken on the inside if you're already there. If you aren't on the inside lane then I think you're f***ed but you would have been with or without a hard shoulder.
    You managed to get safe and follow advice correctly. Many don’t! . A lot of the smart motorways have a high barrier or concrete wall to the left of the the inside lane, which can make evacuating safely quite difficult. I’m interested to read the DoT paper on this when it’s published.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

No. 🙄

The plan is to stop the spread if possible, if its not possible to stop the spread then the plan is to delay the spread. Neither of that means the plan is to "let it spread a bit".

Its not possible to "eliminate any possible spread" because we aren't an isolationist, authoritarian backwater with no contact with the outside world.
    What do you think Whitty means by this:

Pushing the peak of cases "further away from the winter pressures on the NHS" so that there was "more capacity to respond"

What actions can he take to make that happen? Building herd immunity by having a mild outbreak in spring (relatively, it will be horrible for many but better than what would happen otherwise next winter) is right at the top of the list.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Indeed. No sensible politician is going to do anything but follow the scientists. If you move away from the science and it goes wrong your career is over. If you follow the science and it goes wrong then you are covered.

Perhaps there are different valid approaches, all of them informed by science, that can be taken. Which one you choose then depends on what you are prioritizing.

Etc.

If it so happens that all key objectives are aligned, i.e. are not in conflict with each other, then the political decision as to what to do becomes very easy, assuming the science is undisputed. But where there are conflicts - as there surely are - it is less so.

And ditto if the science itself is so uncertain that it is not really science at all but more educated guesswork.
    1. The science is absolutely not "educated guesswork".

2. You can construct a figure of merit that incorporates all of your priorities. Figures of merit are normally multivariate composite functions.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

No its an acknowledgement of reality, that containment has failed and can't succeed - not a choice not to contain.
    To an extent obviously. Some viruses will get stopped in the contain phase.

The two stated main objectives of the delay phase are lowering the peak impact and pushing it away from the winter season.

The main way to push it away from the winter is by building herd immunity. That doesnt happen without some spreading.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

Etc.

I would add "people's ability and tolerance for following instructions". Which is a key reason why what worked in Japan and South Korea may not work best here.

In addition, there seems to me a strong possibility that the Japanese and Koreans are working on the basis that the rest of the world will manage to eliminate the virus within a few months. If that doesn't hold true, I wonder what their contingency plans are? Ban travel from everywhere with live ongoing cases for as long as necessary, to prevent reinfection?
  • Options
    Shakes head...

In Paris the show goes on, as smaller concert halls find creative ways to get round France’s ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people. The US rock band Nada Surfgot got round the ban by playing the same Paris concert twice in one evening.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    IshmaelZ said:

I idly note that the BP share price is back to 1996 levels. That bursar chap may be wishing he had responded differently.

FTSE 100 back to 1998 levels. 22 years FFS.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

No. 🙄

Pushing the peak of cases "further away from the winter pressures on the NHS" so that there was "more capacity to respond"

What actions can he take to make that happen? Building herd immunity by having a mild outbreak in spring (relatively, it will be horrible for many but better than what would happen otherwise next winter) is right at the top of the list.
    I think he means delaying it from February/March and pushing it to the summer months. IE the opposite of "letting it spread".
  • Options

Shakes head...

In Paris the show goes on, as smaller concert halls find creative ways to get round France’s ban on gatherings of more than 1,000 people. The US rock band Nada Surfgot got round the ban by playing the same Paris concert twice in one evening.

Young people are not going to self-isolate for 6 months with a large vat of industrial strength disinfectant.
  • Options

Shakes head...

Young people are not going to self-isolate for 6 months with a large vat of industrial strength disinfectant.
    Exactly. Treat people like they'll think for themselves. That is why our scientists aren't just modelling the epidemology of the outbreak but also modelling how people will react to any measures they introduce.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

No. 🙄

I think he means delaying it from February/March and pushing it to the summer months. IE the opposite of "letting it spread".
    He is speaking in March so very curious to be talking about February/March.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

CD13 said:

It won't be over by then. The government's model is 95% of those that will contract it will do so over a 3 month period, which they have estimated will start about a month after the first sustained community transmission i.e. this week.

Sorry, just to clarify - do you mean we're at the beginning of that 3-month period right now?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,130

I can’t stop Leavers covering their eyes and blocking their ears. But the information will still be there when they stop tantrumming and face the real world.
    Your so called information is a load of projection codswallop.

The UK was supposed to suffer from not being in the Eurozone.
    The UK was supposed to have suffered from the uncertainty of announcing a referendum to leave the EU and voting to do so.
    Now the UK is supposed to suffer from having left the EU.

We'll see.

In reality so far:
    The UK outgrew the Eurozone in the first decade of this century.
    The UK outgrew the Eurozone in the second decade of this century.

What odds the UK outgrows the Eurozone in the third decade of this century?
    Alternatively if the UK was doing so well in the EU why risk changing it dramatically?
    Because Brexit was about far more than just economics.
    Of course, but Philip was making an economic case based on two bits of economic data, that would be pointing to remain not leave. I was not trying to resolve the Brexit debate with a cheap one liner.
    That's only part of the story though, the economic data points to the UK (being less enmeshed within the EU) doing better than the Eurozone even before we voted to leave, but that doesn't say anything about whether we were doing well because of the EU or not. Our membership of the EU should surely be measured by our performance against comparable non-EU nations. We need a control group to compare against and they can't be EU members.

If you compare us against comparable non-EU nations, which I have long suggested as the Canada, Australia and New Zealand (developed, western, English speaking, not the USA which is exceptionally big) then we have performed worse than those. You might wish to pick other comparable nations and see how we've compared, but its hard to find an exact match of course because every nation is unique in its own ways.

So the data to me suggests essentially that the economic performance is:
    Non-EU > UK in EU > Eurozone

And not as many of those like Mr Meeks who've been making false predictions for decades suggest it would have been:
    Non-EU < UK in EU < Eurozone

That to me suggests the data points to embracing the whole world and not bothering ourselves too much with the EU. Growth is coming in the whole world and we need to embrace that independently.

PS I used to be a Remainer. It was posters like Mr Tyndall, Casino_Royale as well as politicians like Gove and Johnson and looking at the economic data like this for myself which switched me during the referendum campaign from Remain to Leave. I think I might be the only PBer who changed sides DURING the EU referendum campaign, which I said at the time.

The Australian, NZ and Canadian economies are entirely different to the UK’s. That doesn’t change just because they speak English.

As I said there are no exact comparisons. They are very comparable though, the differences are much exaggerated, I have family in Canada and used to live in Melbourne. Melbourne isn't that different to cities in the UK.

Or you could look at continents. If the EU was doing great then Europe should have outgrown other continents. It hasn't been doing so though.

Mature economies will tend to grow less slowly than developing ones. That does not make them less important or successful.
    The USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are all mature economies. They've all grown faster than the UK and faster than the EU.

Given the USA was already integrated, if the EU's integration was working then shouldn't the EU have grown faster than the USA? Instead its gone massively backwards. Why?
    You seriously compare the USA to EU, in USA a handful have all the cash, poor people die for lack of medical care, poverty is rife etc. Your more right wing than Atilla the Hun.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I idly note that the BP share price is back to 1996 levels. That bursar chap may be wishing he had responded differently.

Though of course if you'd invested 22 years ago and held on since then without making any withdrawals you'd have still made money because of dividends.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not with dividends reinvested.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209

According to The Times, the current season will not be postponed but games will be contested with no supporters present. All Premier League ticket holders for individual clashes will be able to stream coverage of matches in their homes instead.

They are missing a trick not just allowing anybody to buy a season pass.

It's leading up to a justification for not refunding ticket holders.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

No. 🙄

The epidemic began then so no not really. He's talking about pushing away from this winter which is ending now.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,130

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Pretty sure this call came from the government's advisers, who have publicly defended not bringing in social distancing measures sooner or setting out more strident advice on avoiding infection. They didn't think the evidence supported it. But I suspect a fuller picture of their reasoning isn't going to emerge until all this is over. A counter-intuitive modelling result suggesting it would be ineffective or disproportionately disruptive for whatever effect it would have, perhaps? If it turns out to have come down to a judgment call from leading social psychologists and communications experts that "average British people are too stupid and emotional to handle such advice, they'll either start a mass panic or completely ignore it - best stick to telling them to wash hands and use a tissue until that message has permeated their thick skulls" then I'll feel a bit miffed (though whether at the experts or my fellow Brits I haven't decided yet!).

The analogy with smoking is not fatuous. It illustrates the point that politicians can and frequently do carry out policies that are not focussed solely on minimising loss of life. If they did, we'd all live a cocooned existence, and few people want that.

It is perfectly possible that Boris would choose, for political reasons, a course of action that would involve a larger loss of life condensed into the next year in preference to a somewhat lower loss of life that dragged on until the next elections. Either of these options would be science led.
    And you think its perfectly possible that Nicola Sturgeon, attending the same meetings, would go along with such a plan?
    I'm sure that Nicola Sturgeon, like Boris Johnson, would go along with whatever she thinks will be of most political benefit to her. The point is that it is the scientists who set out the options, and the politicians who choose from the options. There is never just one option, and the options are rarely clear-cut.

From a purely economical point of view, it may, for example, be that the best option is to simply ignore the virus and accept that a number of mostly unproductive old and ill people will die. That could even save lives overall, given that the GDP of the country would be higher, and people live longer in rich countries. It would seem incredibly heartless though, and I can't imagine that any politician would pursue such a policy, even if it ultimately led to saved lives.

Please note that I am not criticising the work of the scientists in any way, nor am I claiming the Boris would ignore their conclusions. I am merely pointing out that there are indeed political choices to be made, and that disputing those political choices does not mean that one is dissing the scientists!
    She has actually been invited to attend a meeting by phone.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

CD13 said:

Sorry, just to clarify - do you mean we're at the beginning of that 3-month period right now?
    My understanding is they said a month from community transmission before we then hit the ~9 week period* then a 1 month "cool-down". We are probably 1 week, maybe 2 through the first month.

* And within this 9 weeks, in the middle 3 weeks will be when 95% of those are to get will contract it.

But I would go pessimistic and say lets 12 weeks in the middle (or longer cool down), when we are talking at least 5 months.
  • Options

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

True
  • Options
    State of emergency declared in Madrid, including lockdown.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I can’t stop Leavers covering their eyes and blocking their ears. But the information will still be there when they stop tantrumming and face the real world.
    Your so called information is a load of projection codswallop.

The UK was supposed to suffer from not being in the Eurozone.
    The UK was supposed to have suffered from the uncertainty of announcing a referendum to leave the EU and voting to do so.
    Now the UK is supposed to suffer from having left the EU.

We'll see.

In reality so far:
    The UK outgrew the Eurozone in the first decade of this century.
    The UK outgrew the Eurozone in the second decade of this century.

What odds the UK outgrows the Eurozone in the third decade of this century?
    Alternatively if the UK was doing so well in the EU why risk changing it dramatically?
    Because Brexit was about far more than just economics.
    Of course, but Philip was making an economic case based on two bits of economic data, that would be pointing to remain not leave. I was not trying to resolve the Brexit debate with a cheap one liner.
    That's only part of the story though, the economic data points to the UK (being less enmeshed within the EU) doing better than the Eurozone even before we voted to leave, but that doesn't say anything about whether we were doing well because of the EU or not. Our membership of the EU should surely be measured by our performance against comparable non-EU nations. We need a control group to compare against and they can't be EU members.

If you compare us against comparable non-EU nations, which I have long suggested as the Canada, Australia and New Zealand (developed, western, English speaking, not the USA which is exceptionally big) then we have performed worse than those. You might wish to pick other comparable nations and see how we've compared, but its hard to find an exact match of course because every nation is unique in its own ways.

So the data to me suggests essentially that the economic performance is:
    Non-EU > UK in EU > Eurozone

And not as many of those like Mr Meeks who've been making false predictions for decades suggest it would have been:
    Non-EU < UK in EU < Eurozone

That to me suggests the data points to embracing the whole world and not bothering ourselves too much with the EU. Growth is coming in the whole world and we need to embrace that independently.

PS I used to be a Remainer. It was posters like Mr Tyndall, Casino_Royale as well as politicians like Gove and Johnson and looking at the economic data like this for myself which switched me during the referendum campaign from Remain to Leave. I think I might be the only PBer who changed sides DURING the EU referendum campaign, which I said at the time.

The Australian, NZ and Canadian economies are entirely different to the UK’s. That doesn’t change just because they speak English.

As I said there are no exact comparisons. They are very comparable though, the differences are much exaggerated, I have family in Canada and used to live in Melbourne. Melbourne isn't that different to cities in the UK.

Or you could look at continents. If the EU was doing great then Europe should have outgrown other continents. It hasn't been doing so though.

Mature economies will tend to grow less slowly than developing ones. That does not make them less important or successful.
    The USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are all mature economies. They've all grown faster than the UK and faster than the EU.

Given the USA was already integrated, if the EU's integration was working then shouldn't the EU have grown faster than the USA? Instead its gone massively backwards. Why?
    You seriously compare the USA to EU, in USA a handful have all the cash, poor people die for lack of medical care, poverty is rife etc. Your more right wing than Atilla the Hun.
    I never said America was perfect.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,155
    Endillion said:

In addition, there seems to me a strong possibility that the Japanese and Koreans are working on the basis that the rest of the world will manage to eliminate the virus within a few months. If that doesn't hold true, I wonder what their contingency plans are? Ban travel from everywhere with live ongoing cases for as long as necessary, to prevent reinfection?

I don't think so - there's some talk up-thread of elimination but I think the game is curve-flattening. However, apart from schools which need to be reopened sooner or later, the current situation is pretty much life as normal except without some fun events and with less nasty commuting, so it wouldn't be particularly hard to continue it indefinitely.
  • Options

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Though of course if you'd invested 22 years ago and held on since then without making any withdrawals you'd have still made money because of dividends.
    Only if the dividend yield exceeded the rate of inflation
  • Options

Shakes head...

If they won't do it voluntarily then they should be interned in camps.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Statement by Presidents Charles Michel and Ursula von der Leyen on US travel ban related to COVID-19

The Corona virus is a global crisis, not limited to any continent and it requires cooperation rather than unilateral action.

The European Union disapproves of the fact that the US decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation.

The European Union is taking strong action to limit the spread of the virus.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/03/12/statement-of-presidents-charles-michel-and-ursula-von-der-leyen-on-us-travel-ban-related-to-covid-19/

Ask the Italians what "strong action" the European Union is taking. They're getting help & supplies from China....
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

My ecology fund shares have proved much more resilient than the FTSE, based as they are on industries like renewables, food and healthcare rather than fossil fuels, transport and tourism :-)
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

There is no situation Donald Trump cannot make worse. This decision will lead to a crash in the global economy the like of which none of us have ever seen. We are now entering the most dangerous period in world history since the 1930s.

Why does the travel ban to Schengen cause the crash?

Because we now know for certain that the US response to this crisis will be entirely irrational. That makes it impossible to plan. Watch how markets react to this. Watch how governments do. Watch how people do. It is going to be utter carnage.

I am no fan of Trump and do not disagree with you, but we didn’t worry when travel to China was restricted. How is travel to Schengen (which contains Italy) the end of the world and that wasn’t?
    It isn’t. When we are in quarantine, no-one will be travelling anyway.

What is shocking is that Trump simply wants a scapegoat for what he has presumably now been told is coming to the US. Not wanting to volunteer his inept response to the initial crisis, he has decided to make the EU a scapegoat.

This is exactly it. And the long term repercussions of that will be immense. He has, for example, almost certainly put NATO on life support, if he hasn’t killed it completely.

I suspect he will be gone soon, mercifully, and alliances will need to be repaired. The institutional damage to the USA is already enormous, and the values of liberal democracy have been seriously set back.

There are a few on here who should be ashamed of their pandering to a foul, disgraceful and damaging regime. And there will be quite a bit of retroactive distancing.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

No. 🙄

The epidemic began then so no not really. He's talking about pushing away from this winter which is ending now.
    So the CMO's plan in March 2020 is to reduce the consequences for February 2020. Err Ok.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,440

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Which is why synthetic trackers are such garbage.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,372

2. You can construct a figure of merit that incorporates all of your priorities. Figures of merit are normally multivariate composite functions.

Modelling the spread of a new disease is subject to significant uncertainty. To call it educated guesswork - or perhaps better highly educated guesswork - is not to diss it. It is scientific in nature and is an essential tool to manage this crisis. But it is not Boyle's law.

You can indeed build a composite single metric which blends your priorities, weighted as to relative importance, and perhaps that is being done. Nevertheless the key inputs to this - e.g. the weighting factors of, say, economic hit vs deaths vs NHS impact etc - will potentially have a political dimension.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,859

Statement by Presidents Charles Michel and Ursula von der Leyen on US travel ban related to COVID-19

The Corona virus is a global crisis, not limited to any continent and it requires cooperation rather than unilateral action.

The European Union disapproves of the fact that the US decision to impose a travel ban was taken unilaterally and without consultation.

The European Union is taking strong action to limit the spread of the virus.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/03/12/statement-of-presidents-charles-michel-and-ursula-von-der-leyen-on-us-travel-ban-related-to-covid-19/

Ask the Italians what "strong action" the European Union is taking. They're getting help & supplies from China....

Where do you think we get our face masks ?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I've barely posted since the GE but I'm still alive.

Personally, I'd close the schools and stop most events this week.

Looking at the southern Med figures (Madrid notwithstanding) you'd think the warmer weather will be an ally in the fight against coronavirus so shunting it on a month will help.

But then, I don't really know anything.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,640
    edited March 2020
    No mass gatherings in Ireland of over 100 people indoors, 500 people outdoors.
  • Options
    Mango said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

There is no situation Donald Trump cannot make worse. This decision will lead to a crash in the global economy the like of which none of us have ever seen. We are now entering the most dangerous period in world history since the 1930s.

Because we now know for certain that the US response to this crisis will be entirely irrational. That makes it impossible to plan. Watch how markets react to this. Watch how governments do. Watch how people do. It is going to be utter carnage.

I am no fan of Trump and do not disagree with you, but we didn’t worry when travel to China was restricted. How is travel to Schengen (which contains Italy) the end of the world and that wasn’t?

What is shocking is that Trump simply wants a scapegoat for what he has presumably now been told is coming to the US. Not wanting to volunteer his inept response to the initial crisis, he has decided to make the EU a scapegoat.

This is exactly it. And the long term repercussions of that will be immense. He has, for example, almost certainly put NATO on life support, if he hasn’t killed it completely.

I suspect he will be gone soon, mercifully, and alliances will need to be repaired. The institutional damage to the USA is already enormous, and the values of liberal democracy have been seriously set back.

There are a few on here who should be ashamed of their pandering to a foul, disgraceful and damaging regime. And there will be quite a bit of retroactive distancing.
    To be honest most posters on this forum from across the party divide condemn Trump as a danger to mankind, leaving a handful who may try to defend the indefensible
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,510
    BREAKING: From 6pm, Republic of Ireland closing a wide range of facilites incluiding schools, advising cancellation of all mass gatherings, to apply until 28 March
  • Options

No mass gatherings in Ireland of over 100 people (indoor), 500 people outdoors.

That's all the pubs shut then :-)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,436
    kinabalu said:

Modelling the spread of a new disease is subject to significant uncertainty. To call it educated guesswork - or perhaps better highly educated guesswork - is not to diss it. It is scientific in nature and is an essential tool to manage this crisis. But it is not Boyle's law.

You can indeed build a composite single metric which blends your priorities, weighted as to relative importance, and perhaps that is being done. Nevertheless the key inputs to this - e.g. the weighting factors of, say, economic hit vs deaths vs NHS impact etc - will potentially have a political dimension.
    Good googling.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,415
    18 new cases in China today, over 1,200 recovered. Number of known cases down to 14,814. Almost certainly less than Italy will be later today.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1238016923029430272

How is this helpful? Picking a jokey comment from 13 years ago?

Do you genuinely think Boris is overruling the medical experts? If so, don't you think they would be walking out on him / making it crystal clear they don't agree.
  • Options

Endillion said:

I don't think so - there's some talk up-thread of elimination but I think the game is curve-flattening. However, apart from schools which need to be reopened sooner or later, the current situation is pretty much life as normal except without some fun events and with less nasty commuting, so it wouldn't be particularly hard to continue it indefinitely.
    "Apart from schools" is either a massive or totally irrelevant rider, depending on whether or not children are effective carriers. It's curious that we don't seem to have a definitive answer on that one yet (or at least, if we have, then I've missed it).

But I was asking more about international travel: what happens if this becomes endemic in Africa or Indonesia and remains so for the next two years? Or even if the US decides to follow the UK down its apparent path of managed chaos?
  • Options

No mass gatherings in Ireland of over 100 people (indoor), 500 people outdoors.

That's all the pubs shut then :-)
    Masses can still happen, though, as you'll never get 100 people turning up...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Doesn't look like the Ozzie GP is going to happen:

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/1238062852306583552
  • Options
    Mclaren withdraw from Australia GP
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Only if the dividend yield exceeded the rate of inflation
    Well, it did. Comfortably, albeit potentially not on a risk-adjusted basis.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,415
    Scott_xP said:
    That was the basis of the excellent Jeremy Vine story. Who heard the same performance twice. It was certainly thought provoking but more in the context that the buffoonery is a useful mask than anything else.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

1. All analysis & modelling of data by a serious scientist will involve allowance for the significant uncertainties, which can of course be incorporated into any inferences made from the data. This is standard.

2. Even if the input weights may have a political dimension, you still need to show that the optimised solution depends sensitively on the weights.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

18 new cases in China today, over 1,200 recovered. Number of known cases down to 14,814. Almost certainly less than Italy will be later today.

Their figures just aren't believable. A population of over a 1.4bn people and you are trying to convince me just 18 new cases after a virus has run rampant for months.

It is all about the propaganda that the mighty leader, the party, the nation has won the battle.
  • Options
    Mount Everest is closed due to Corona virus!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Average yield of FTSE 100 is now 4.8%.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447
    Just taken a large delivery of supplies, including plenty of gin to get me through this.

Driver says a lot of empty shelves at the local supermarket this morning.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2020

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Absurd.
    Its in black and white.

To an extent obviously. Some viruses will get stopped in the contain phase.

The two stated main objectives of the delay phase are lowering the peak impact and pushing it away from the winter season.

The main way to push it away from the winter is by building herd immunity. That doesnt happen without some spreading.
    For the love of God.

Herd immunity is developed through mass vaccination of potential spreaders or developed natural immunity.

There is no vaccine that will be ready in time for a winter wave.

There is no shred of evidence that anyone who has contracted this coronavirus has developed any immunity, particularly given there's no certainty that the strain involved in any future wave will make use of the same infection strategy.

The population is not some petri dish to experiment on.

I understand what this virus does, and I certainly don't want to get it even if I'm likely to 'recover'. It is highly plausible that those infected the first time round will be more susceptible to any future wave regardless of their general health.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Indeed. Im tempted to buy today, but still trying to process the increased chances of US-EU trade war and its impact on the longer term market following Trumps presser.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    IanB2 said:

That crowns it.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914

Mango said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

To be honest most posters on this forum from across the party divide condemn Trump as a danger to mankind, leaving a handful who may try to defend the indefensible
    This is very conspicuous to me, independent of political opinions and biasses, almost all of us are think Trump is a bad president. I find it very difficult to understand how regular US Republicans can support him.
  • Options
    I expect thousands, if not millions, of our fellow citizens like my wife and I are self isolating due to our high risk, and others are working from home even before being asked

Furthermore, in our case we will not go to anywhere where people gather in numbers, have for years had our groceries delivered, and regularly hand wash for 20 seconds

These actions are sensible and neither of us are worrying about contracting covid 19 but do accept we could
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Scott_xP said:
    I suspect we'll be following suit very soon. Politically Boris can't let Britain be seen as the laid-back man of Europe.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited March 2020

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Indeed. Im tempted to buy today, but still trying to process the increased chances of US-EU trade war and its impact on the longer term market following Trumps presser.
    There is a long long way still to fall until we reach the bottom.

I estimate over the next 6 to 9 months anything between 25% and 75% will be wiped off existing values.

The markets will not return to their New Year peaks for at least 5 years. Possibly 10 years.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Mango said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

This is very conspicuous to me, independent of political opinions and biasses, almost all of us are think Trump is a bad president. I find it very difficult to understand how regular US Republicans can support him.
    Once politics becomes about ensuring the other side loses rather than making sure your own side is doing the right things, it opens up the space for idiots like Trump or idiotic policies like WTO Brexit (for RT et al, soft Brexit very much excluded).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited March 2020
    geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

That crowns it.
    Have we reached Peak Virus?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Scott_xP said:
    I suspect we'll be following suit very soon. Politically Boris can't let Britain be seen as the laid-back man of Europe.
    I think these measures were going to be announced last night at 7pm, but perhaps Trump threw it a curveball or some sort of legal issue. Because it was clearly briefed by the government that it was an important speech and then he stood and went we wish Nad well, we invite the opposition to talks and sat down.

And clearly the Times / Newsnight had been briefed, because they both reported as such.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yet the Dow is still holding onto a slice of the Trump boom. The US is where the selling opportunity is; their market still thinks the rest of the world's problems wont affect them much.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    But couldn't lock down until Cheltenham had finished!

That said there is still a day of it left, and many tens of thouands travelling through the country's transport network for several days after that....

Cheltenham Festival 2020 should have been canned.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think the yield will top 5%, maybe significantly more, in the next few weeks. I agree there is a buying opportunity coming up. But I'm in no hurry to re-enter the market. There is a potent mixture of panic and real economic damage. Many more sellers yet to be shaken out.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I estimate over the next 6 to 9 months anything between 25% and 75% will be wiped off existing values.

The markets will not return to their New Year peaks for at least 5 years. Possibly 10 years.
    I think the bottom is about 10% away, but admittedly that didnt factor in Trump coming after the EU. Buying 10% off the bottom is generally fine and better than waiting to find the exact low and find you miss out.

If you are right imagine that would make it the worst crash since 1929 which is possible but think unlikely.
  • Options

I expect thousands, if not millions, of our fellow citizens like my wife and I are self isolating due to our high risk, and others are working from home even before being asked

Furthermore, in our case we will not go to anywhere where people gather in numbers, have for years had our groceries delivered, and regularly hand wash for 20 seconds

These actions are sensible and neither of us are worrying about contracting covid 19 but do accept we could

I wonder ... if you are high risk, there will be an optimum time to get this virus that boosts your chances of survival.

The best time to get it may be in the early Summer. Pretty obviously, the worst time will be in December 2020.

I wonder if all eadric's stockpiling of disinfectant, masks, toilet-rolls and hand-gel means that he will miss the optimum time ...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It's already being trailed that today's COBRA will formally move us into the second, Delay, stage. The question is how wide ranging the measures are, or whether it'll just be advice.
  • Options
    Looks like Cheltenham is finally getting suspended, per journo on Twitter.
  • Options
    I'm beginning to think the world's most irresponsible Government is that of the UK.

Iran runs it close but now even the US is starting to get its act together.

This has Dominic Cummings' hand all over it. A fuck-it policy of anarchy: we can't stop it so let it spread. Instead of 'Let them eat cake' it's 'Let them die.'

Sorry but there's no other way to dress this up.
  • Options

Looks like Cheltenham is finally getting suspended, per journo on Twitter.

Nothing short of a disgrace that it went ahead at all
  • Options

I'm beginning to think the world's most irresponsible Government is that of the UK.

Iran runs it close but now even the US is starting to get its act together.

This has Dominic Cummings' hand all over it. A fuck-it policy of anarchy: we can't stop it so let it spread. Instead of 'Let them eat cake' it's 'Let them die.'

Sorry but there's no other way to dress this up.

Nonsense, if Big Dom was coming in saying right egg-heads shut up and listen, we are going to ignore all of you...it would have leaked to the press in seconds (as every other Big Dom blow up does).
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    So when the Med shuts down do we think we have enough food to feed the nation?

I'm glad I stocked up but I'm now concerned I might need to purchase a shotgun. Do Aldi sell them?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yet the Dow is still holding onto a slice of the Trump boom. The US is where the selling opportunity is; their market still thinks the rest of the world's problems wont affect them much.
    Regardless, the FTSE will continue to follow the Dow all the way down. Which just means that the buying opportunities will be stronger and more obvious on the other side, but is still annoying to watch.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think the bottom is about 10% away, =
    Nowhere near. Nowhere nowhere nowhere near.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896

Unfortunately, very many people don't have your options. The Tube (Britain's own mobile germ warfare laboratory) was as busy as ever this morning and not everyone, as others have stated, can work from home.

For some people, not working isn't an option because they need that money to pay rent and buy food and not everyone gets sick pay - Mrs Stodge is a contractor, if she doesn't work she doesn't get paid.

I know this wasn't your intention but I'm afraid your post comes over as a tad smug. Life goes on for many, not because of any arcane option of a "stiff upper lip" or whatever but because they have no choice.

Life goes on for many people as does the fear.
This discussion has been closed.