Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump bans all travel to Europe for a month from tomorrow excl

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

Want to know something really spooky? I just unpacked the hand luggage I had from my trip to Israel. Found a big bottle of mineral water in it that was not picked up by Israeli baggage checks.

Not spooky at all - I've got all sorts of stuff through security that I'd forgotten I had in my hand luggage. I've always thought that security is to reassure passengers.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

The default assumption in our planning for Covid-19 is that between 40 and 70% of the population are going to get it eventually. The object of our response is therefore not to eliminate but to flatten the curve of infection reducing the pressure on our medical capacity. If the default assumption is correct this is sensible and it also makes sense to introduce measures gradually with a view to achieving that objective with the minimum economic cost. This is the current government strategy and it seems to be based on models produced some years ago which contain this assumption.

What I think we need to do is measure those assumptions against the real world examples that we have. China currently has 14,800 active cases. On current trends it will eliminate the virus within the month. The infection rate in China, because of the steps they have taken, is currently 0.56% of the population. By the end of this phase it may reach 0.6%. Not 40%, not 70% but 0.6%.

If our default assumptions are correct all they are achieving at considerable cost is more deferral. There will be a second, third, fourth wave of infections until that 40-70% level of infection is achieved and there are insufficient hosts for further spread. But what if they are wrong? What if it is possible to actually eliminate this virus from the herd? If that proves to be the case tens of thousands of Britons and possibly hundreds of thousands of Europeans will have died needlessly.

This is a big call and it is entirely right to listen to the experts in making it. Will China really be able to prevent further outbreaks in our interconnected world? Would we? I am not sure but I want assurance that the government is thinking about the alternative strategies very carefully.

Agreed. And, also, why are some companies that can implement home-working waiting for the government to tell them to do so?

Look at Charles on here. He can but seemingly won't unless compelled by government directive.

Senseless.
    I can’t do that unilaterally.

We are part of a global listed company and have to take into account all sorts of factors. (How do you think I was able to flag the border closure a week ago?)

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited March 2020

Want to know something really spooky? I just unpacked the hand luggage I had from my trip to Israel. Found a big bottle of mineral water in it that was not picked up by Israeli baggage checks.

On a serious note, I hope you anti-bac'ed all your cases etc.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely essential reading. Why just about everything must close and now ...

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I was mocked by some PBers for posting this last night because apparently the author isn't an expert.
    It is reasonable for people to point out the provenance of a document.
    The author is saying he did his own calculations and built his own model.
    That, for a journalist, seems pretty inadvisable to me.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    fox327 said:

Also, no effective vaccine may ever be developed as this is a coronavirus which constantly mutates. The common cold is also a coronavirus and there is no effective vaccine against it.

Woah, stop right there!

The common cold is a rhinovirus not a coronavirus.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Oh shit...

Boris Johnson says he WON'T ban mass gatherings or close schools in fight against coronavirus as health experts say government plan is to LET the disease spread slowly through UK so country gets 'herd immunity'

No10 has also dismissed suggestions they will emulate Ireland, which announced this morning that it will close all schools and colleges, although the step is being kept in the locker in case the situation escalates.

The signs are that they will instead ask those with a cold to self-quarantine, and urge vulnerable elderly people to stay indoors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8103651/Pressure-mounts-Boris-Johnson-ramp-Britains-coronavirus-action.html
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm beginning to think the world's most irresponsible Government is that of the UK.

Iran runs it close but now even the US is starting to get its act together.

This has Dominic Cummings' hand all over it. A fuck-it policy of anarchy: we can't stop it so let it spread. Instead of 'Let them eat cake' it's 'Let them die.'

Sorry but there's no other way to dress this up.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

This is being driven by the medical experts, not Boris or Cummings, and I trust them long before your musings
    If it turns out that the rest of Cheltenham is cancelled in a U turn, will you continue to believe in the competence and infallibility of these experts?
    Over the non qualified, yes
    Even if they themselves say "we got it wrong"?
    Yes. Being able to recognise you got it wrong is a great attribute for getting it right in the future.

Though you're wrong to call any mooted future closures a "u-turn". The CMO and CSO have been saying that future closures are likely coming, just not yet and they want to time the closures at the right time. If the time comes where they say "now we're doing this" then that's not a u-turn, it is following through on their existing plan.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    FF43 said:

Does anyone else think this front page from the Daily Mail is across the board bonkers? Can't wait to read my Cheltenham and Diabetes pullout.

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1237873160990547968

Isn't it also borderline racist, going with the Asian doctor stereotype?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    fox327 said:

I do not believe that social distancing measures will stop this epidemic. This could slow it down, but only at an enormous social and economic cost which will be unsustainable in the longer term. This virus is highly transmissable and it will always keep coming back when the restrictions have to be eased. It is true that a vaccine could change this equation but it is 12 - 18 months away from being available.

Also, no effective vaccine may ever be developed as this is a coronavirus which constantly mutates. The common cold is also a coronavirus and there is no effective vaccine against it. The best defense that we have against this virus is the human immune system and herd immunity which will exist after there have been a large number of cases. Countries such as Egypt and Iran (and possibly the United States) will end up in this position as they have a large number of cases.

We have to wait for a few days to see what effect the draconian restrictions being taken in Italy have on the growth of the epidemic there. So far the epidemic in Italy has shown a constant high growth rate that has been totally unaffected by all the measures that have been taken so far.

This epidemic needs to be considered in biological and ecological terms. The human species normally thinks that it is at the top of the food chain and has no natural predators. However the coronavirus COVID 19 has found a way to become a highly successful predator on humans. Humanity is not exempt from the laws of ecology, and as a species we need to coexist with the 8 million other species on the planet Earth. Social distancing of whole countries is a desperate last resort measure of epidemic control, and everything in biology is stacked against it succeeding.

"no effective vaccine may ever be developed as this is a coronavirus which constantly mutates"
    " The best defense that we have against this virus is the human immune system and herd immunity"
    Do you see any contradiction there? If it mutates the immune system will not be effective in fighting it. If the immune system is partially effective then a vaccine could also help.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

He has surely been superimposed there..
    He does look like he has been Beziered ;)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

On a serious note, I hope you anti-bac'ed all your cases etc.
    The Israelis haven't been checking fluids for years now. You may not have noticed if you weren't accustomed to it; since everyone else does.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Not spooky at all - I've got all sorts of stuff through security that I'd forgotten I had in my hand luggage. I've always thought that security is to reassure passengers.
    They managed to find a jar of chutney using the "xray-machine" which was well hidden in my bag. Apparently chutney counts as a liquid!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I idly note that the BP share price is back to 1996 levels. That bursar chap may be wishing he had responded differently.

FTSE 100 back to 1998 levels. 22 years FFS.
    Not with dividends reinvested.
    Average yield of FTSE 100 is now 4.8%.
    Indeed. Im tempted to buy today, but still trying to process the increased chances of US-EU trade war and its impact on the longer term market following Trumps presser.
    I think the yield will top 5%, maybe significantly more, in the next few weeks. I agree there is a buying opportunity coming up. But I'm in no hurry to re-enter the market. There is a potent mixture of panic and real economic damage. Many more sellers yet to be shaken out.
    I`ve dipped my ties in the market today.

You back from skiing OK then?
    Got back yesterday at 2:45am on a rescue flight. Now in self isolation. Not shaving so will look like a hermit in 14 days time. I'll feel like one too!
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    tlg86 said:

Israeli security?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I idly note that the BP share price is back to 1996 levels. That bursar chap may be wishing he had responded differently.

Indeed. Im tempted to buy today, but still trying to process the increased chances of US-EU trade war and its impact on the longer term market following Trumps presser.
    There is a long long way still to fall until we reach the bottom.

I estimate over the next 6 to 9 months anything between 25% and 75% will be wiped off existing values.

The markets will not return to their New Year peaks for at least 5 years. Possibly 10 years.
    I think the bottom is about 10% away, but admittedly that didnt factor in Trump coming after the EU. Buying 10% off the bottom is generally fine and better than waiting to find the exact low and find you miss out.

If you are right imagine that would make it the worst crash since 1929 which is possible but think unlikely.
    I think the bottom will be about 4500, so plan to start buying probably next week. I expect that there will be big falls until monday. Weekends are always nervous times for investors when things are volatile.

I expect most stocks to bounce back fairly quickly as it clears, but a bad year for travel and retail may linger.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think the yield will top 5%, maybe significantly more, in the next few weeks. I agree there is a buying opportunity coming up. But I'm in no hurry to re-enter the market. There is a potent mixture of panic and real economic damage. Many more sellers yet to be shaken out.

Got back yesterday at 2:45am on a rescue flight. Now in self isolation. Not shaving so will look like a hermit in 14 days time. I'll feel like one too!
    Going for the Tom Hanks in Cast Away?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely essential reading. Why just about everything must close and now ...

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I was mocked by some PBers for posting this last night because apparently the author isn't an expert.
    And it shows.

He identifies all the right reasons why the Delay strategy is the only one we have right now.

But he simply assumes that if we don't close everything yesterday, our health services will be "overwhelmed" like in northern Italy. He doesn't consider that the object of Delay isn't just to wait for the cavalry, but to try and reduce the severity of future epidemics through immunity acquired now. And he doesn't consider that it is possible to lock down too early, as well as too late.
    He also doesn't consider that a badly timed shutdown can in fact make the shutdown less effective at the time its needed most (because by then people are frustrated with the restrictions and no longer maintaining them).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Embodies all that is decent and good about America. Why is he not the President?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eristdoof said:

fox327 said:

Also, no effective vaccine may ever be developed as this is a coronavirus which constantly mutates. The common cold is also a coronavirus and there is no effective vaccine against it.

Woah, stop right there!

The common cold is a rhinovirus not a coronavirus.
    The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[29][30] Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronavirus (≈ 15%),[31][32] influenza viruses (10–15%),[33] adenoviruses (5%),[33] human respiratory syncytial virus (orthopneumovirus), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus.[34] Frequently more than one virus is present.[35] In total over 200 viral types are associated with colds.[3]
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,941

Oh shit...

Boris Johnson says he WON'T ban mass gatherings or close schools in fight against coronavirus as health experts say government plan is to LET the disease spread slowly through UK so country gets 'herd immunity'

No10 has also dismissed suggestions they will emulate Ireland, which announced this morning that it will close all schools and colleges, although the step is being kept in the locker in case the situation escalates.

The signs are that they will instead ask those with a cold to self-quarantine, and urge vulnerable elderly people to stay indoors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8103651/Pressure-mounts-Boris-Johnson-ramp-Britains-coronavirus-action.html

Exactly what I was trying to explain to Philip and Nigel earlier whilst being called nonsensical.

"Dr David Halpern, head of the UK's Behavioural Insights Team dubbed Britain's 'Nudge Unit' who reports directly to Mr Johnson, has suggested the 500,000 people in UK care homes or with respiratory conditions could be the only people protected.

He has suggested the virus can be beaten by letting it spread through healthy people to kill it off rather than a nationwide lockdown that could allow coronavirus to rise again later in the year."
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    kamski said:

tlg86 said:

Israeli security?
    Okay, not Israeli (or American) security. :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Mount Everest is closed due to Corona virus!

Damn, now this thing is starting to affect ME.

Sure, I can delay till next year, but I was primed and ready.
    Mrs Stocky summited Kilimanjaro this morning.

Maybe she`ll have to stay up there?

He, he.
    Maybe Everest is merely the first of an avalanche of mountains to be closed?
    Things can only go downhill from here.
  • Options

Oh shit...

Let us wait for the announcement rather than rely on the daily mail
  • Options

FF43 said:

Does anyone else think this front page from the Daily Mail is across the board bonkers? Can't wait to read my Cheltenham and Diabetes pullout.

No.

I feel loathe to defend the Daily Mail but I think that's a stretch given this was a budget in response to a health crisis.

Its like a simplistic version of Matt who is excellent at picking two of the day's stories and distilling them together.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,584
    LOL. JRM has said that medical advice is that MPs are perfectly safe crowding together in the lobbies to vote on parliamentary business. But just to be on the safe side, they are opening a window in each lobby.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

IshmaelZ said:

I'm beginning to think the world's most irresponsible Government is that of the UK.

Iran runs it close but now even the US is starting to get its act together.

This has Dominic Cummings' hand all over it. A fuck-it policy of anarchy: we can't stop it so let it spread. Instead of 'Let them eat cake' it's 'Let them die.'

Sorry but there's no other way to dress this up.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

This is being driven by the medical experts, not Boris or Cummings, and I trust them long before your musings
    If it turns out that the rest of Cheltenham is cancelled in a U turn, will you continue to believe in the competence and infallibility of these experts?
    Over the non qualified, yes
    Blimey.
  • Options

Oh shit...

Exactly what I was trying to explain to Philip and Nigel earlier whilst being called nonsensical.

"Dr David Halpern, head of the UK's Behavioural Insights Team dubbed Britain's 'Nudge Unit' who reports directly to Mr Johnson, has suggested the 500,000 people in UK care homes or with respiratory conditions could be the only people protected.

He has suggested the virus can be beaten by letting it spread through healthy people to kill it off rather than a nationwide lockdown that could allow coronavirus to rise again later in the year."
    If this really is the approach, I won't be coming out my home for the next few months.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,392
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

He, he.
    Behave! This sort of punning is the start of a slippery slope.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LOL. JRM has said that medical advice is that MPs are perfectly safe crowding together in the lobbies to vote on parliamentary business. But just to be on the safe side, they are opening a window in each lobby.

You are kidding me
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Mr. Meeks, whether or not it's possible to have rational reasons for wishing the UK to leave the EU is entirely relevant given your view of the most 'ardent', as you put it, Leavers.

"The damage of Brexit will be far more enduring than Covid-19 because it springs from a baleful malevolence in the hearts of the most avid Leavers that is going to continue to actuate a senselessly hostile approach to the EU for the foreseeable future."

I agree it's very unhelpful that the use of language such as 'treachery' and 'xenophobia' has proliferated. There are entirely reasonable arguments for the UK to retain membership of the EU or to leave it, and noisy fringe elements who consider one to be treason and the other to be racism do more harm than good to their own sides.

Mr. Jonathan, the behaviour of pro-EU types, particularly in the courts and Parliament, has led to the exact opposite of what they wanted. Instead of either remaining, or having a second referendum, or having the very soft May departure, there's a credible chance we now leave with no deal in place whatsoever.

More thinking and less mindless opposition from pro-EU MPs would've served their cause well. I remember Grieve bleating in the Commons that it was 'too late' when the Government backed down and gave him precisely what he wanted, and he voted against them anyway.

This I'm afraid is incorrect. These arguments have been rehearsed a thousand times now and may be historical soon, but the May government excluded soft Brexit from the start. It was only when her government began to shift from talking about hard Brexit to no-deal Brexit that Grieve got involved, and thus parliament.
    The mistake they made was not backing CU and SM through the Letwin process and then trying to get this established as the deal, either by forcing May's government to do it or by seizing the agenda.

Nevertheless I'd wager that imposing a trade disruption at year end will be seen, by then, as suicidal. Whether the government has the maturity to realise that now, or waits and tries to suspend it later, remains to be seen
    Why on God’s earth would the government create division and strife by doing something like that at this point in time?
    Why indeed, but are you confident they (Cummings & Boris) won't?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

He, he.
    Do you need such a cold response?
  • Options

Oh shit...

If this really is the approach, I won't be coming out my home for the next few months.
    That response will have been modelled in - they are probably expecting a fair % of the population to self isolate. They may even need to bring in measures like Italy to avoid the spring/summer peak being too high, but they are explicitly not trying to stop the virus once it got into the delay phase and that was clear from the press conference this week with the PM and CMO.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    That's big deal. I don't have Biden down as taking the 10 EV in Wisconsin.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

He, he.
    “Slippery slope” ? I was joining in.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,096

FF43 said:

I thought that when I first saw it. If he hadn’t just promised untold funds to the NHS stop a disease, maybe. But it is in keeping with the budgets headline content
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    As well as the ban excluding the UK and Irish Republic, it apparently doesn't include US citizens either.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

Why did you need a rescue flight from Innsbruck?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

We should export him to the USA, do we still need an ambassador there? He would fit in delightfully with the Republican elite.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

He, he.
    "cold" - so was I
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

As well as the ban excluding the UK and Irish Republic, it apparently doesn't include US citizens either.

Or their close family members. Which hopefully includes husbands
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

He, he.
    "cold" - so was I
    Ah! Sorry. I suspected so when I posted
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    edited March 2020

Oh shit...

Why am I not filled with confidence?

I come back to Italy:
    • Is the current situation in Italy an envisaged outcome for the government's strategy?
    • If not, what is the UK government doing, which is effective at preventing such an outcome, that their Italian counterparts didn't do?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    Nordic countries: 2,080 cases, 1 fatality (in Sweden).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    I was right, Wall Street is closing when it's closed, in a sense, in that the limit-down shutdown on trading is being applied to the futures market (and hence my spread bets) even thought the market isn't yet open. Ha!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Oh shit...

Oh shit...

I come back to Italy:
    • Is the current situation in Italy an envisaged outcome for the government's strategy?
    • If not, what is the UK government doing, which is effective at preventing such an outcome, that their Italian counterparts didn't do?

Currently we're doing much better contact tracing, quarantines and isolation than the Italians ever did, which is why its growing much slower than in Italy.

That's why I think the notion pushed by some that this is part of a "let it grow" strategy is nonsense.
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    malcolmg said:

FM: "The Health Secretary and I have decided this morning that we are minded that we will advise the cancellation, from the start of next week, of mass gatherings of 500 people or more." #FMQs

So Dundee FC still get a home crowd but United don't? Hardly seems fair.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Oh shit...

Oh shit...

I come back to Italy:

I dont have the answers but at a guess:

1. Its very possible, maybe probable that we encounter worse than Italy currently has at the UK peak. This probability will likely apply to all of Europe and most of the northern Hemisphere.

2. They are not trying to prevent "current Italy" but something far worse, and will accept current Italy for a lower risk of the potentially much worse scenario.
  • Options

1. All analysis & modelling of data by a serious scientist will involve allowance for the significant uncertainties, which can of course be incorporated into any inferences made from the data. This is standard.

2. Even if the input weights may have a political dimension, you still need to show that the optimised solution depends sensitively on the weights.

We're probably on the same page. Science is king and should be leading this.

But what I rather doubt is the notion that science is everything here and thus there will be one clear and obvious best response free of politics and political judgment.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    edited March 2020

I dont have the answers but at a guess:

1. Its very possible, maybe probable that we encounter worse than Italy currently has at the UK peak. This probability will likely apply to all of Europe and most of the northern Hemisphere.

2. They are not trying to prevent "current Italy" but something far worse, and will accept current Italy for a lower risk of the potentially much worse scenario.

Yeah, it could end up worse than Italy due to mismanagement. I really want to know if it's part of their plan.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Tim_B said:

depends on the husband I guess :smile:
  • Options
    The death toll from coronavirus in Spain has jumped from 47 to 84 in the last day, according to Reuters citing the country’s health ministry.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

That crowns it.
    Have we reached Peak Virus?
    summit up?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,226
    FF43 said:

It is pathetic
  • Options
    felix said:

geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

That crowns it.
    Have we reached Peak Virus?
    summit up?
    No more crampon tax
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    DougSeal said:

Tim_B said:

I believe a country is generally not allowed to stop its own citizens returning.
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights - I think even the rogue state US is part of that one?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    JM1 said:

Foxy said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

There is a long long way still to fall until we reach the bottom.

I estimate over the next 6 to 9 months anything between 25% and 75% will be wiped off existing values.

The markets will not return to their New Year peaks for at least 5 years. Possibly 10 years.
    I think the bottom is about 10% away, but admittedly that didnt factor in Trump coming after the EU. Buying 10% off the bottom is generally fine and better than waiting to find the exact low and find you miss out.

If you are right imagine that would make it the worst crash since 1929 which is possible but think unlikely.
    I think the bottom will be about 4500, so plan to start buying probably next week. I expect that there will be big falls until monday. Weekends are always nervous times for investors when things are volatile.

I expect most stocks to bounce back fairly quickly as it clears, but a bad year for travel and retail may linger.
    How long do you think it will take to clear? And, with a professional hat on, how much work is going on inside the NHS to get us set up to deal with this?
    Peak late April to early May, fading heavily by June, isolated spikes in various places in the recovery phase.

Both the original SARS and MERS viruses did not become major ongoing issues, and the evidence from the Far East is that recovery is underway already.

As a Frontovik, I am not always informed about what the General Staff are up to. My contacts are in Public Health forecasting rather than strategic planning. I have seen preparations gradually building, but am concerned at the low stocks of protective equipment. I would be greatly reassured if we had major stocks of these in warehouses. Without equipment we are playing Russian Roulette.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

That's big deal. I don't have Biden down as taking the 10 EV in Wisconsin.

Texas Texas Texas. Biden Biden Biden.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

The Austrians blocked the border. Couldn't get out of Italy by road. Flew out of Verona to Stansted. Inghams did a superb job getting us out.

PS My two days of skiing were magnificent. Great snow, sunshine, no queues or indeed no people. Did the Sella Ronda in record time. Gotta tan.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

1. All analysis & modelling of data by a serious scientist will involve allowance for the significant uncertainties, which can of course be incorporated into any inferences made from the data. This is standard.

2. Even if the input weights may have a political dimension, you still need to show that the optimised solution depends sensitively on the weights.

We're probably on the same page. Science is king and should be leading this.

But what I rather doubt is the notion that science is everything here and thus there will be one clear and obvious best response free of politics and political judgment.
    There definitely isnt one clear and obvious best response at all. Its ridiculously complex and dealing with many known and unknown unknowns to paraphrase Rumsfeld. The point being made is that no-one outside of the govt team has the resources to come up with an answer that is "likely" to be better than the govts.

That is very different to saying that the govt answer is the only scientific one or guaranteed to be best. Indeed its almost certain that an outside expert will have a better course of action somewhere (as outside experts might have hundreds of thousands of different strategies to the govts one chosen strategy).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

FM: "The Health Secretary and I have decided this morning that we are minded that we will advise the cancellation, from the start of next week, of mass gatherings of 500 people or more." #FMQs

You could always persuade 375 Dundee United fans to turn up bringing the crowd over the 500 limit, and so getting the match cancelled. You might even infect a few Dundee fans as a bonus.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020
    My work has just moved all offices around the world to mandatory work at home.
  • Options
    Quick question - as a non-cook I eat out a lot, and am getting increasingly aware that public wifi in restaurants etc is insecure.

Which VPN would you recommend for me and family?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    Tim_B said:

Blue passports protect you from Covid-19, obviously...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

CD13 said:

We've organised a family get-together at a big house in the middle of May. An English gathering of the clans. They will all come.

Well, the survivors will anyway.

It won't be over by then. The government's model is 95% of those that will contract it will do so over a 3 month period, which they have estimated will start about a month after the first sustained community transmission i.e. this week.

Get ready for 6 months of this.
    Sorry, just to clarify - do you mean we're at the beginning of that 3-month period right now?
    My understanding is they said a month from community transmission before we then hit the ~9 week period* then a 1 month "cool-down". We are probably 1 week, maybe 2 through the first month.

* And within this 9 weeks, in the middle 3 weeks will be when 95% of those are to get will contract it.

But I would go pessimistic and say lets 12 weeks in the middle (or longer cool down), when we are talking at least 5 months.
    So essentially:

Model 1:

March: Build-up following start of community transmission.
    April-May: Surge: 95% of all infections occur.
    June: Cool-down: Infections drop.

Model 2:

April-May-June: Surge: 95% of all infections occur.
    July: Cool-down: Infections drop.

Does that sound about right?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Tim_B said:

They haven't started issuing UK blue ones yet?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

You could always persuade 375 Dundee United fans to turn up bringing the crowd over the 500 limit, and so getting the match cancelled. You might even infect a few Dundee fans as a bonus.
    Dundee fans are always infected. What with varies over time.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,252
    Is the government really going to go down the 'Let it Rip' strategy?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

IshmaelZ said:

He tried to ski for the border but the carabinieri were the better skiers?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

No more indyref2 marches then
    certainly not in the short term for sure
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    Tim_B said:

Quick question - as a non-cook I eat out a lot, and am getting increasingly aware that public wifi in restaurants etc is insecure.

I don't know if it's any good, but HideMyAss is popular on our corporate network.

You can also get HideMyAssPro...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Scott_xP said:

Tim_B said:

Nope, go mine recently and still beautiful burgundy red.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Do you think politically it might prove challenging if we take quite a different ('do-nothing') strategy to others?

The Irish decision is interesting as I thought we might be more in step with each other.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

Currently we're doing much better contact tracing, quarantines and isolation than the Italians ever did, which is why its growing much slower than in Italy.

Is it growing slower, or are we just a week or so behind? I'm sure the comparison graphs suggested a similar growth.

And while we may be doing some things well, the fact that last night we had 3000 people from Madrid - one of the biggest Covid hotspots in Europe - wandering around Liverpool, suggests we're not exactly being overly risk averse.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Tim_B said:

I don't know if it's any good, but HideMyAss is popular on our corporate network.

Don't use HideMyAss !!! It doesn't Hide your Ass....

PrivateInternetAccess has had a very good reputation for many many years, although there is concern that an Israeli company recently purchased them*. I have used them for ~10 years and never had any outage, always good speeds, and the software is now very solid on all platforms.

* The concern is that because Israel likes to provide the US intell, obviously it could be that Uncle Sam gets a look at what your doing or access to do so.
  • Options

Alistair said:

China shutdown the country. It is perfectly believable they have things under control.

Its not arguing they haven't got it under control, it is the claim they only have 18 new cases. I think it is more believable the new case rate has fallen dramatically, but still higher than basically nothing.
    It would be really good to see an update of that image for March. Have they really gone back to work?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

China shutdown the country. It is perfectly believable they have things under control.

Its not arguing they haven't got it under control, it is the claim they only have 18 new cases. I think it is more believable the new case rate has fallen dramatically, but still higher than basically nothing.
    It would be really good to see an update of that image for March. Have they really gone back to work?
    Wuhan is still locked down for another week and a half, no businesses, transport, schools.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    More on this:

"British government wants UK to acquire coronavirus 'herd immunity', writes Robert Peston"

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-12/british-government-wants-uk-to-acquire-coronavirus-herd-immunity-writes-robert-peston/
  • Options
    Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know the capacity of the courtroom Salmond's being tried in?
    will not be 500 and most of time so far public have been excluded so not an issue for certain. So far it has been like Carry on Camping, not much to be seen or heard.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    "Patients with the new coronavirus keep the pathogen in their respiratory tract for as long as 37 days, a new study found, suggesting they could remain infectious for many weeks."

"... doctors in China detected the virus’s RNA in respiratory samples from survivors for a median of 20 days after they became infected"

"By comparison, only a third of patients with SARS still harbored the virus in their respiratory tract after as long as four weeks, the Chinese scientists said."

A third of SARS last 28 days, half of Covid-19 last 20 days and one or two cases of COVID-19 case lasted 37 days. Seems totally consistent to me.
  • Options

CD13 said:

We've organised a family get-together at a big house in the middle of May. An English gathering of the clans. They will all come.

It won't be over by then. The government's model is 95% of those that will contract it will do so over a 3 month period, which they have estimated will start about a month after the first sustained community transmission i.e. this week.

Sorry, just to clarify - do you mean we're at the beginning of that 3-month period right now?
    My understanding is they said a month from community transmission before we then hit the ~9 week period* then a 1 month "cool-down". We are probably 1 week, maybe 2 through the first month.

* And within this 9 weeks, in the middle 3 weeks will be when 95% of those are to get will contract it.

But I would go pessimistic and say lets 12 weeks in the middle (or longer cool down), when we are talking at least 5 months.
    So essentially:

Model 1:

Model 2:

I am no expert (just repeating what the CMO said the model was), but it seems Dr Foxy is saying something along these lines.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    Tim_B said:

Scott_xP said:

Tim_B said:

You mean black.......
  • Options
    nova said:

Is it growing slower, or are we just a week or so behind? I'm sure the comparison graphs suggested a similar growth.

And while we may be doing some things well, the fact that last night we had 3000 people from Madrid - one of the biggest Covid hotspots in Europe - wandering around Liverpool, suggests we're not exactly being overly risk averse.

Its growing slower here. Some people have tried to overlay a cherrypicked few days of graphs to show similar growth but then a few days later those are out of date and it shows divergence. Any long period graph now shows us clearly diverging with Italy.

How many Spaniards do you think are currently in the UK? Do you think they're all in Liverpool?
  • Options

CD13 said:

So essentially:

Model 1:

Model 2:

I am no expert (just repeating what the CMO said the model was), but it seems Dr Foxy is saying something along these lines.
    If either of these models play out this could prove to be the biggest stock market buying opportunity in my lifetime.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:
    "Patients with the new coronavirus keep the pathogen in their respiratory tract for as long as 37 days, a new study found, suggesting they could remain infectious for many weeks."

"... doctors in China detected the virus’s RNA in respiratory samples from survivors for a median of 20 days after they became infected"

"By comparison, only a third of patients with SARS still harbored the virus in their respiratory tract after as long as four weeks, the Chinese scientists said."

A third of SARS last 28 days, half of Covid-19 last 20 days and one or two cases of COVID-19 case lasted 37 days. Seems totally consistent to me.
    There may be a difference between having detectable virus in your respiratory tract and actually shedding it. Or there may not. Useful to know. Would have a big impact on quarantine.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

More on this:

"British government wants UK to acquire coronavirus 'herd immunity', writes Robert Peston"

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-12/british-government-wants-uk-to-acquire-coronavirus-herd-immunity-writes-robert-peston/

If you want to build herd imunity, why would you close schools or Universities?

School children and Uni students (along with most of the parents of these) are below the critical age for complications and are the ideal base for herd imunity, as they inhabit one of the prime incubation arenas of future waves of the disease, where herd imunity is obviously required to prevent future epidemics.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    The Italians let it explode and had a pandemic accident.

We want to diffuse the bomb. We want a pandemic by design. We think we can do that.

It's brave Minister.

I imagine this is going to be a very challenging few weeks for our government and its experts.

Everyone will be screaming for them to start doing something but they are like the commanding officers in Zulu, hold steady boys. Wait wait wait, FIRE!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

CD13 said:

So essentially:

Model 1:

Model 2:

If either of these models play out this could prove to be the biggest stock market buying opportunity in my lifetime.
    Isn’t the catch that after one contained epidemic, there won’t be enough community immunity to prevent another, and that we will have to rinse and repeat several times before we get to the point where herd immunity contains future outbreaks?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Tim_B said:

PrivateInternetAccess has had a very good reputation for many many years, although there is concern that an Israeli company recently purchased them*. I have used them for ~10 years and never had any outage, always good speeds, and the software is now very solid on all platforms.

* The concern is that because Israel likes to provide the US intell, obviously it could be that Uncle Sam gets a look at what your doing or access to do so.
    Is this for mobiles? If I dont do banking etc on public wifi, and dont have bluetooth on do I really need anything beyond normal Apple protection?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

CD13 said:

It

So essentially:

Model 1:

Model 2:

Isn’t the catch that after one contained epidemic, there won’t be enough community immunity to prevent another, and that we will have to rinse and repeat several times before we get to the point where herd immunity contains future outbreaks?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Tim_B said:

Is this for mobiles? If I dont do banking etc on public wifi, and dont have bluetooth on do I really need anything beyond normal Apple protection?
    Private Internet Acesss (and most major VPNs) have PC / IoS / Android apps. These days it is just a good idea in general to use a VPN at the very least when out in public for a whole variety of reasons, both security and privacy.
  • Options
    nova said:

My back of an excel spreadsheet calculation suggests that the growth in UK cases this week has been a bit slower compared to when Italy was at the same stage but not by much. The UK on Sunday was "12 days behind Italy" and now you are "14 days behind Italy". I would not find this especially reassuring.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Endillion said:

malcolmg said:

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know the capacity of the courtroom Salmond's being tried in?
    will not be 500 and most of time so far public have been excluded so not an issue for certain. So far it has been like Carry on Camping, not much to be seen or heard.
    There's a twitter feed of the evidence here: https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I am not commenting for obvious reasons.
  • Options

The Italians let it explode and had a pandemic accident.

We want to diffuse the bomb. We want a pandemic by design. We think we can do that.

It's brave Minister.

I imagine this is going to be a very challenging few weeks for our government and its experts.

Everyone will be screaming for them to start doing something but they are like the commanding officers in Zulu, hold steady boys. Wait wait wait, FIRE!

If the numbers today show a big leap there is going to be even more pressure. We are surely starting to reach daily increases were the wider public start to think that sounds like quite a lot.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

DougSeal said:

Tim_B said:

depends on the husband I guess :smile:
    I get that at US Customs a lot TBF
This discussion has been closed.