Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Elections Preview: December 5th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Elections Preview: December 5th 2013

Riverside (Lab Defence) and Splott (Lab Defence) on Cardiff
Result of last election (2012): Lab 46, Lib Dem 16, Con 7, Ind 3, Plaid 2, Heath Independents 1 (Labour overall majority of 17)
Result of ward at last election (2012): Emboldened denotes Elected

Read the full story here

Comments

• WelshBertieWelshBertie Posts: 124
    edited December 2013
    I'm still waiting on the Yougov poll. Will probably be a rogue but will send Miliband into a panicked press conference where he promises a 2015 price freeze on Wensleydale.

Oh...and FIRST!
  • Is it all unravelling yet?
  • Is it all unravelling yet?

Not yet....labour's poster on the other hand is a different matter.

• isamisam Posts: 40,875
    edited December 2013
    One thing I am very surprised about, although I don't think these things should matter a jot, is the lack of comments from tim about Osborne's change of hairstyle...

It looks terrible, like a wig, or 50 year old womans barnet... definitely trying to cover up the receding hairline
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,282
    I wonder how far the weather will reduce the turnout at Swanscombe on Dartford and South Woodham, Elmwood and Woodville on Chelmsford.
  • Good evening, everyone.

Cheers to Mr. Hayfield for this.

Still have to trawl through the links to get here.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    YouGov pretty much has to be a rogue whatever it is. Last 6 weeks have been incredibly stable.

Average YouGov Lab lead each week for the last 6 weeks - oldest first (ie each figure is the average of 5 polls):

6.7 (this week so far - ie 3 polls).
  • isam said:

One thing I am very surprised about, although I don't think these things should matter a jot, is the lack of comments from tim about Osborne's change of hairstyle...

It looks terrible, like a wig, or 50 year old womans barnet... definitely trying to cover up the receding hairline

Three little words: Just For Men.
  • Mr. Antifrank, when I was at school some uncouth youths bought a Physics teacher some of that. He looked rather hurt.

Cunningly, I'm going bald, so I'll never need any.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Mr. Antifrank, when I was at school some uncouth youths bought a Physics teacher some of that. He looked rather hurt.

At my school the kids set the physics teacher's hair on fire
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

isam said:

It's inspired by this site

http://footballersthatlooklikelesbians.tumblr.com/

Tim lad,this should get you going ;-)

http://order-order.com/2013/12/05/ids-responds-to-balls-jibe/
  • Scott_P said:

Mr. Antifrank, when I was at school some uncouth youths bought a Physics teacher some of that. He looked rather hurt.

At my school the physics teacher set himself on fire!
  • Scott_P said:

At my school we set the physics dept on fire...

• TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited December 2013
    Independent front page -Osborne kicks labour where it hurts.

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/408707083811315713/photo/1/large
  • Autumn statement: the IT angle
  • Next said:
    That is very sad. Poor woman.
  • Scott_P said:

Over a period of weeks, we reduced our biology master’s favourite tweed jacket to a moth eaten rag by sprinkling the back of his chair and desk with conc sulphuric acid.

Long dead no doubt, but Sorry Mr Trotter…!
    Autumn statement: no big winners, but Ed Balls is the clearest loser

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/05/autumn-statement-george-osborne-ed-balls
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I'd assumed Osborne's new hair do was inspired by Lloyd Christmas.
    @tnewtondunn: "He f***** it up," said a Labour MP on Ed Balls - and a shadow cabinet member also told us today he has to go; http://t.co/mFGnbR4Fcz
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,204
    edited December 2013
    Looks like Mandela has died.

No official confirmation yet
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Looks like Mandela has died.

No official confirmation yet

He's been dead for some time, just not switched off. Why now?

• Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Not so much a case of had a good run in the case of Mandela, more one hell of a run.
    @tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour on a 12 point lead - biggest since May. CON 29%, LAB 41%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%...
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nelson Mandela died tonight.
  • Now officially confirmed, Mandela has died.
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour on a 12 point lead - biggest since May. CON 29%, LAB 41%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 14%...

And the largest UKIP percentage for some time.

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited December 2013
    Nelson Mandela died

Perhaps fate is teaching George a lesson for his tasteless T shirt.

• One of the things this country can truly be proud of, is the fact it was the home of the Anti-Apartheid movement.

I always found it amusing, that it was a Cape-Coloured, Basil D'Oliveria, who inadvertently made people in this country realise just how vile apartheid was.
    Roger said:

Nelson Mandela died

Perhaps fate is teaching George a lesson for his tasteless T shirt.

Big f**kin deal.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,930
    RIP Nelson Mandela, one of the greatest figures of the 20th century
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Wow, how long until this became partisan. That was about 5 minutes.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

I have no other opinion. Let Sarf-Arikha and the Marxist-Media Wing (Al-Beeb) mourn.

To the family: Do your best at this moment. To Mugabe: ....
  • SKY - Nelson Mandela has died, South African President Jacob Zuma has confirmed.

http://news.sky.com/story/1178430/nelson-mandela-dies-president-confirms
    edited December 2013
    @DiCanio

"I'm glad that they became friends."

if they became friends it does nothing but show Mandela's great powers of forgiveness to one of the few leaders in the world who gave succour to apartheid
  • MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

It was 15% in Sunday's YouGov, and 14% last Friday, so not so.

• Very sad that whilst most of us mark the passing of a great man, Roger and Tim (in contrast to the rest of the admirable clutch of left of centre commentators here) look at it as an opportunity to bash their political opponents.
    Roger said:

@DiCanio

if they became friends it does nothing but show Mandela's great powers of forgiveness to one of the few leaders in the world who gave succour to apartheid</blockquot

Lets cut to the chase. What actually have you done for anyone Roger, really?

Anything for womens rights at all for example?

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Huw not wearing a black tie. If this were the Queen, heads would be rolling.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,200
    RIP Mandela, an incontravertibly great man.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

I have no other opinion. Let Sarf-Arikha and the Marxist-Media Wing (Al-Beeb) mourn.

To the family: Do your best at this moment. To Mugabe: ....

Neither South African nor Marxist and I think Mandela was a man to be honoured and admired. There are very few people in this world today who have done more to try and create reconciliation between such bitter enemies in spite of having spent so much of his life under the cosh.
    @Yokel

"Lets cut to the chase. What actually have you done for anyone Roger, really?"

And you?

MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

It was 15% in Sunday's YouGov, and 14% last Friday, so not so.

I stand corrected. I was abroad last week so didn't follow the local news.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,084
    I feel the need to watch Invictus again. It is one of my favourite films. A truly remarkable man.

Domestic politics are trivial at a time like this but the chance, if there was one, of the Autumn statement being a gamechanger has just gone for a burton. Ho hum.
  • DavidL said:

I feel the need to watch Invictus again. It is one of my favourite films. A truly remarkable man.

Domestic politics are trivial at a time like this but the chance, if there was one, of the Autumn statement being a gamechanger has just gone for a burton. Ho hum.

I've just put that on.

Great Minds Think Alike.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

@DiCanio

if they became friends it does nothing but show Mandela's great powers of forgiveness to one of the few leaders in the world who gave succour to apartheid

Do we really need to cheapen a desperately sad occasion with point scoring and shall we pass a few hours noting Labour's questionable ties. No.

Mandela was a towering figure of the second half of the last century. Mankind was fortunate to have this great man bestride his country, his continent and the world.

RIP - Lion of Africa.

• BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    DavidL said:

I haven't seen it David - will try to dig it out on Sky Movies on your recommendation.

Mandela RIP.
    Roger said:

@Yokel

"Lets cut to the chase. What actually have you done for anyone Roger, really?"

And you?

I've enabled the dead to be buried by their families rather than in a ditch and even occasionally had the opportunity to ensure that those that might have died have lived. Ive stood out against those who are dictators within their countries and communities and pretty much got lucky to live for it.

I've helped keep narrow minded bollocks like you safe in your beds.

And you? Did you once design a poster for a protest in Cannes against apartheid?
    edited December 2013
    South Africans were fortunate that they had Mandela and not Mugabe forming a government.

One of the things this country can truly be proud of, is the fact it was the home of the Anti-Apartheid movement.

I always found it amusing, that it was a Cape-Coloured, Basil D'Oliveria, who inadvertently made people in this country realise just how vile apartheid was.

Indeed. A remarkable example of sport being the catalyst to change the world.

• SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Youguv I suspect is due to the government wanting to increase the age when one can draw a pension.

And if the government carries on talking about what it wants to talk about and ignores what the people want to hear about,ie,cost of living,the Tories will sink further.
  • Wealden open primary round 1 Tony Caldiera eliminated
    SMukesh said:

Youguv I suspect is due to the government wanting to increase the age when one can draw a pension.

And if the government carries on talking about what it wants to talk about and ignores what the people want to hear about,ie,cost of living,the Tories will sink further.

It's surely just an outlier.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    dr_spyn said:

South Africans were fortunate that they had Mandela and not Mugabe forming a government.

Indeed so. Mandela showed what generosity of spirit can achieve.
    Nelson was indeed a generation-defining figure for Generation X, defeater of an evil regime that younger people can barely imagine existed. A truly great man who had a long, wonderful life. We will never see his like again
    tim said:

Bobajob said:

SMukesh said:

Three high UKIP scores recently, Lynton Crosby doing the job on immigration
    More polls needed but it does seem KIP may be the beneficiary of some sort of immigration bounce. We shall see.
  • RIP Mandela

I think people on the right underestimate the degree of loathing for Thatcher's pro apartheid policies from those on the left.

For many it overrides all other considerations of her and her works. It would be ridiculous on a politics site not to acknowledge that one of Mandela's most magnanimous gestures was to forgive people like Thatcher and her party for their wholehearted and sickening support for white minority rule. Even Nick Robinson is touching on it.
  • tim said:

Bobajob said:

SMukesh said:

Three high UKIP scores recently, Lynton Crosby doing the job on immigration
    And Osborne doing the job on the economy, good time for UKIP
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Think jack w appears to have summed it up suitably
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2013
    Great respect and admiration for Mandela and his ability to reconcile disparate humans and his humility, his ability not to show any animus to those who ill treated him. I am glad an old man is allowed to pass on from our world, leaving it a better place and inspiring millions.
    Oddly enough this was the first story on Thatcher meets Mandela via a search on Google.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/nov/28/nelson-mandela-margaret-thatcher-meeting

• Roger said:

I think people on the right underestimate the degree of loathing for Thatcher's pro apartheid policies from those on the left.

For many it overrides all other considerations of her and her works. It would be ridiculous on a politics site not to acknowledge that one of Mandela's most magnanimous gestures was to forgive people like Thatcher and her party for their wholehearted and sickening support for white minority rule. Even Nick Robinson is touching on it.

Roger, cut the crap – your squalid use of Mandela’s death as a political stick just moments after his death was announced says more about you than Thatcher.
  • RIP Mandela

Good Luck to South Africa. I hope this doesn't cause great destabilisation there, he was in part holding the country together.
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I joined the embassy protest for a few stints in the mid/late 80s. Then in '89 went over to Berlin when the wall came down (I still have my bits of it). Then Mandela was released. I remember it as a hopeful time - it felt like anything could happen - but maybe that was just because I was young.

Obama on tv.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I first went to South Africa a few weeks after the election won by Nelson Mandela in 1994. I got a very cheap deal on flights and hotels because there were such expectations of violent conflict.

Instead it was the most amazing atmosphere of relief that it had all gone off so peacefully. I remember having a braai with a party of Afrikaaners who were so excited by the change for the better in their country.

RIP Nelson Mandela, the man who was famous for his forgiveness and reaching out to his enemies. Something that we could all learn from.
    Roger said:

You utter fool. You are not of the left. You are a class apart, a luvvie who feels the pain of the working class as you sip your frapacino and get what little you know of the world from the pages of the Guardian.
    Bobajob said:

DavidL said:

I haven't seen it David - will try to dig it out on Sky Movies on your recommendation.

Mandela RIP.
    It's really great. Putting aside the absurdity of Matt Damon being a rugby forward it is near perfect. In my opinion Morgan Freeman's greatest performance. Directed by Clint Eastwood.

DavidL said:

I've just put that on.

Great Minds Think Alike.
    Our's as well TSE. Our's as well.

DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

DavidL said:

Mandela RIP.
    It's really great. Putting aside the absurdity of Matt Damon being a rugby forward it is near perfect. In my opinion Morgan Freeman's greatest performance. Directed by Clint Eastwood.

Thanks David

• Roger said:

And how did Thatcher's government change existing policy towards South Africa ?

That's right it didn't.

Curious how you're not offended by the South African policy of the Labour governments of 1974-1979 and 1964-1970.

But then you don't give a toss about South Africans of any variety.

Labour, the party that plotted to 'make the white folk angry'.
  • Wealden open primary: Won on second round by Nus Ghani
    edited December 2013
    @SimonStC

Like a lot of others I spent a lot of my youth on anti apartheid marches and to have Thatcher as one of only two world leaders in support was difficult to accept

From @DrSpyn's article

"Nelson Mandela was "furious" when a top adviser stopped him meeting Margaret Thatcher two months after his historic release from prison.

A confidential US embassy cable says Mandela, visiting London in April 1990, was eager to spell out to Thatcher the recently unbanned African National Congress's objections to her policy on South Africa.

The Conservative prime minister had dismissed the ANC as "a typical terrorist organisation" and refused to back sanctions against the apartheid government, pursuing instead a policy of "constructive engagement". South Africa was then seen as a vital ally in stemming communist expansion."

• MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,200
    Obama nailing it in a way that none of our lot could
    You have no answer do you Roger.

Empty vessel.
  • Mandela was a great man who reached out to all and didn't try and attack people over very recent events.

Roger is a petty ... who is trying to use the death of an old man to attack a dead old woman. Wow done, I'm sure Mandela would be proud. Or maybe not. Sick.
  • Labour on 41% - 12% ahead.

Wonder if Dan Hodges has had info from a nameless Tory insider showing a poll with the Tory Party 5% ahead?
    Roger said:

@SimonStC

Like a lot of others I spent a lot of my youth on anti apartheid marches and to have Thatcher as one of only two world leaders in support was difficult to accept

From @DrSpyn's article

"Nelson Mandela was "furious" when a top adviser stopped him meeting Margaret Thatcher two months after his historic release from prison.

A confidential US embassy cable says Mandela, visiting London in April 1990, was eager to spell out to Thatcher the recently unbanned African National Congress's objections to her policy on South Africa.

The Conservative prime minister had dismissed the ANC as "a typical terrorist organisation" and refused to back sanctions against the apartheid government, pursuing instead a policy of "constructive engagement". South Africa was then seen as a vital ally in stemming communist expansion."

Care to answer ARs question?
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Thanks to Harry for his round up of today's elections . His summary of the 2 Cardiff wards is a little inaccurate . In 2008 all 3 Riverside seats were won by Plaid as were 2 of the 3 seats in 2004 . In Splott the Lib Dems won 2 of the 3 seats in 2004 but only one in 2008 . The Lib Dems have always polled poorly in Riverside and Plaid in Splott .
  • saddened said:

Roger said:

You utter fool. You are not of the left. You are a class apart, a luvvie who feels the pain of the working class as you sip your frapacino and get what little you know of the world from the pages of the Guardian.
    And pays for private medical insurance through Bupa so he doesn't have to suffer the vagaries of the NHS he so loves.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2013
    Plato's next MP will almost certainly be an Asian woman. Quite a feat getting selected in what has always been a very traditionally conservative area:

"Nusrat Ghani selected as Wealden Conservative candidate and likely next Wealden MP:

twitter.com/DavidShawCTC/status/408725146867081216
  • Paris Hilton mistakes Martin Luther King for Nelson Mandela

pic.twitter.com/yN0fAyXVq5

Paris Hilton mistakes Martin Luther King for Nelson Mandela

Champion.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    If only our politicians who admired Mandela could imitate him more. His graciousness, his dignity, his conviction, and his seeking of reconciliation rather than division. Will we ever see another like him? RIP

Do you really follow Paris Hilton on twitter ???

No, someone retweeted it.

I do have some standards you know!

Granted they are lower than everyone else's....

No, someone retweeted it.

I do have some standards you know!

Granted they are lower than everyone else's....
    And you always manage to live down to them ;-)
  • R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Mandela's death reminds us that the progressive wing of politics is the right and good one.

The Right, the Tories, those who hated Mandela and what he stood for can take a walk.

RIP.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The cricket isn't cancelled is it ??
  • R0berts said:

Mandela's death reminds us that the progressive wing of politics is the right and good one.

The Right, the Tories, those who hated Mandela and what he stood for can take a walk.

RIP.

Keep on plotting to 'make the white folk angry'.
  • tpfkar said:

If only our politicians who admired Mandela could imitate him more. His graciousness, his dignity, his conviction, and his seeking of reconciliation rather than division. Will we ever see another like him? RIP

Leaders like Mandela only become apparent a few times a century. For me, he was one of the five greatest leaders of the 1900s. The world will see others like him but whether we will is another matter. That said, as true greatness can only be measured against tremendous challenges, perhaps it might be a good thing if we don't?

The world seems a smaller, greyer place this evening.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2013
    I think that this statement just demonstrates how little that you understand about why Nelson Mandela was a great man.

It is because he did not rest in some "progressive" comfort zone, but rather tried to see the other sides point of view and successfully reached out to them.

Forgiveness in such circumstances is an amazing feat.
    R0berts said:

RIP.

• Can posters mind their language please.

That includes words with asterisks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcTvoWjZJU#t=114

I didn't meet him, but I was in the room in 1997 in Edinburgh

RIP
This discussion has been closed.