Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Elections Preview: December 5th 2013

13»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Nice to see a LAB to SNP swing (2.4 points) in Glasgow. Modest progress, but great to see any progress at all when we are a mid-term government.

Another poor result for Scottish UKIP, and the Tory vote held up well, which with other data confirms a modest uptick in their fortunes in Scotland.

Lab 53.5% (-7.0)
    SNP 28.7% (-2.2 )
    Con 5.9% (+1.7)
    UKIP 3.4% (-)
    TUSC 1.8% (-)
    LD 1.4% (+0.7)
    No Bedroom Tax 1.3% (-)
    Grn 1.1% (-0.4)
    SSP 0.9% (n/c)
    Christian 0.9% (-)
    Britannica 0.8% (-)
    Democratic Alliance 0.2% (-)

A contrast to Liverpool where UKIP are now able to beat the Tories.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) I have a technical question about mobile phones (because I've never had one) so I'm not sure what this means: Tom Daley is quoted as saying

"I made the first move, I typed 'call me' in his notes with a smiley face on this phone and the next day he texted."

Did Tom text his bf? In which case, how did he know his bf's number?
    Or did he type something into his bf's phone? In which case, how did he get old of his phone?
    Does "in his notes" mean something specific which I'm not understanding?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a535951/tom-daley-opens-up-about-boyfriend-it-was-love-at-first-sight.html
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

(OT) I have a technical question about mobile phones (because I've never had one) so I'm not sure what this means: Tom Daley is quoted as saying

"I made the first move, I typed 'call me' in his notes with a smiley face on this phone and the next day he texted."

Did Tom text his bf? In which case, how did he know his bf's number?
    Or did he type something into his bf's phone? In which case, how did he get old of his phone?
    Does "in his notes" mean something specific which I'm not understanding?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a535951/tom-daley-opens-up-about-boyfriend-it-was-love-at-first-sight.html

On the iPhone at least (and most others most likely) Notes is an app where you can write any notes you may want, it acts like a digital stack of post it notes. So he's likely borrowed the bf's phone and written the message with his number etc
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Nice to see a LAB to SNP swing (2.4 points) in Glasgow. Modest progress, but great to see any progress at all when we are a mid-term government.

Another poor result for Scottish UKIP, and the Tory vote held up well, which with other data confirms a modest uptick in their fortunes in Scotland.

Lab 53.5% (-7.0)
    SNP 28.7% (-2.2 )
    Con 5.9% (+1.7)
    UKIP 3.4% (-)
    TUSC 1.8% (-)
    LD 1.4% (+0.7)
    No Bedroom Tax 1.3% (-)
    Grn 1.1% (-0.4)
    SSP 0.9% (n/c)
    Christian 0.9% (-)
    Britannica 0.8% (-)
    Democratic Alliance 0.2% (-)

A contrast to Liverpool where UKIP are now able to beat the Tories.
    Do you have a link? I cannot think of any election whatsoever in Scotland where a UKIP candidate has outpolled a Tory candidate. There might be one somewhere, hidden in the archives, but not sure how to search.
  • Options

Strange one Mandela. You never hear a bad word against him and yet he was responsible for many innocent deaths with his bombing campaign.

Strange one Churchill. You never hear a bad word against him and yet he was responsible for many innocent deaths with his bombing campaign.
    Well, quite.

The UK armed forces (primarily the RAF) under Churchill were responsible for far more innocent deaths by bombing than MK (Umkhonto we Sizwe) under Mandela ever were. By a vast order of magnitude.

And that is before you start looking at Churchill's gassing of the Kurds.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Perhaps "on this phone" is a misprint for "on his phone"...?
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    It is most unlikely that the British used chemical weapons in Iraq:

"There is little evidence that gas was actually used or, if it was, that the gas involved was lethal and not tear gas"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleged_British_use_of_chemical_weapons_in_Mesopotamia_in_1920
This discussion has been closed.