Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Northern Italy is getting a bit too close for comfort

123457»

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    I can only presume the government delay on pushing the stop button is that only a couple more weeks and it is Easter holidays. Then you can simply extend schools closures to the whole month of April.

My biggest fear is how many people are going to jet of to the Middle East etc for their Spring sunshine break.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Chris said:

I haven't seen anyone suggest a novel anti-viral was likely any time soon, whereas earlier in the epidemic I did see some over-optimistic speculation about vaccination coming over the hill to save us. My limited understanding was that there were several known anti-viral s either, either in use now or which had been developed for previous pandemics and passed safety trials, that had been deemed worth exploring, and even if no combination of them forms a magic bullet, there had been realistic (?) hopes of a clinically significant effect. Public health measures are going to determine how many people get this thing, but it would be nice if there were more treatment options for those who do!

According to this article, there are thousands of potential compounds (used in existing medicines) to be evaluated, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is funding research on their potential effectiveness:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/bill-and-melinda-gates-fund-study-into-finding-coronavirus-cure

No doubt there are other research initiatives as well.
    Cheers Richard. I seem to recall some other research, with a smaller number of potential drugs, posted here a few days back.
    Two existing anti-virals that seem to have produced promising results in China are remdesivir and chloroquine.
    Remdesivir is a drug developed as an antiviral, but is not actually yet licensed to market for any indication, so for now is likely to be available only in relatively small quantities for clinical trials (there is one ongoing in China).

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/56798/mechanism-of-action-revealed-for-remdesivir-potential-coronavirus-drug/
    A team of academic and industry researchers has reported new findings on how exactly an investigational antiviral drug stops coronaviruses. The paper was published the same day that the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced that the drug in question, remdesivir, is being used in the country’s first clinical trial of an experimental treatment for COVID-19, the illness caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Previous research in cell cultures and animal models has shown that remdesivir can block replication of a variety of coronaviruses, but until now it has not been clear how it does so. The researchers, from the University of Alberta, US, and Gilead, studied the drug’s effects on the coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). They found that remdesivir blocks a particular enzyme that is required for viral replication. …
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985
    FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

I can only presume that the testing numbers today are going to look ok and so decided not to pull the emergency break, but seems totally wrong.
    The message coming through the journalists' briefing session appears to be one of "masterful inactivity". That's Johnson's stock-in-trade, but it doesn't feel like the correct response for an epidemic.
    I am not aware of a single specific policy that the government has put in place for the Coronavirus epidemic as of now. There are exhortations to wash your hands and to self isolate if in doubt, without explaining exactly what that means. There is also talk of keeping things in review and liaising with various people. I would be happier with:

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

And we will push these policies consistently.
    The Prime Minister’s spokesman said:

The UK is still in the contain phase, but it is accepted that the disease will spread at speed. Any steps to delay the disease have to be introduced at the optimum time.
    The government will be led by the evidence and scientific advice. If there is further advice, it will be issued. At the moment the advice is for people to wash their hands thoroughly.
    The government has been issuing advice to people returning from specific areas. Temperature checks on arrival are not effective and the government has an evidence-based, clinical approach to this.
    The number of cases in the UK is increasing, we have had the first fatalities and it is clear that it is spreading in the country.
    The environment department will be speaking to supermarket companies about what measures can be taken to ensure supplies to shops.
    The Bank of England has said it will take all steps necessary to protect the economy.
    DCMS held a meeting with a range of sporting bodies this morning – sporting events are not being cancelled at this point.
    The PM has said there is no need for panic buying.
    Whether local elections will be delayed is a matter for the Electoral Commission to advise on.
    The Foreign Office continues to work with the US authorities on what can be done to bring home the 142 Britons on the Grand Princess cruise ship.
    A SAGE meeting is expected tomorrow along with a further Cobra meeting on Wednesday.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    Wall Street has opened down thru 24000 and currently 23600
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Panic is about to kick off...

A member of staff at Transport for London has tested positive for coronavirus.

In terms of efficiently spreading this virus to as many other people as possible, what would be the worst job to have? A ticket inspector on an intercity train must be up there.

Sex worker?
    Sex workers are good at transmitting HIV, but they do not breathe on that many people.
    Doctor (GP) is the obvious answer. Especially if they do for their colleagues in the practice as well.
    Young schoolchildren.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

CatMan said:

Should we be worried that UK 10 year bonds are almost into negative territory?

No

HMG should fill its boots
    I don't understand how negative bond yields are ever sustained. What's to stop HMG from simply refinancing its debts at the negative yields?

Effectively eliminating interest would transform the UK's budget.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276

Because getting rid of much of the nonsense box ticking nonsense that Brown considered to be regulation would have improved regulations, not worsened it.

Replace the boxes with subtle but astute, intelligence-led, regulation by dedicated people who truly knew their onions and yet were sufficiently detached from the business to be robust, impartial, and incorruptible.

I guess that was the Tory plan.

What a shame they were not in charge. Things would have been so much better for us.

Seriously, you sound borderline clueless on this topic. Sorry, but it has to be said.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,020
    15min break on the S&P500!

The UK is still in the contain phase, but it is accepted that the disease will spread at speed. Any steps to delay the disease have to be introduced at the optimum time.
    The government will be led by the evidence and scientific advice. If there is further advice, it will be issued. At the moment the advice is for people to wash their hands thoroughly.
    The government has been issuing advice to people returning from specific areas. Temperature checks on arrival are not effective and the government has an evidence-based, clinical approach to this.
    The number of cases in the UK is increasing, we have had the first fatalities and it is clear that it is spreading in the country.
    The environment department will be speaking to supermarket companies about what measures can be taken to ensure supplies to shops.
    The Bank of England has said it will take all steps necessary to protect the economy.
    DCMS held a meeting with a range of sporting bodies this morning – sporting events are not being cancelled at this point.
    Whether local elections will be delayed is a matter for the Electoral Commission to advise on.
    The Foreign Office continues to work with the US authorities on what can be done to bring home the 142 Britons on the Grand Princess cruise ship.
    A SAGE meeting is expected tomorrow along with a further Cobra meeting on Wednesday.

I think they are really hoping to get through the next 2 weeks with mostly imported traceable cases and then tell people it is stay at home time.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342

eristdoof said:

Panic is about to kick off...

A member of staff at Transport for London has tested positive for coronavirus.

In terms of efficiently spreading this virus to as many other people as possible, what would be the worst job to have? A ticket inspector on an intercity train must be up there.

Air steward/ess on a still busy airline, perhaps connecting Italy to Iran.
    But will most of her passengers not already have it?
    IanB2 said:

Trump's gonna blame it all on the fake-news MSM.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    DOWN JONES

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

I can only presume that the testing numbers today are going to look ok and so decided not to pull the emergency break, but seems totally wrong.
    The message coming through the journalists' briefing session appears to be one of "masterful inactivity". That's Johnson's stock-in-trade, but it doesn't feel like the correct response for an epidemic.
    I am not aware of a single specific policy that the government has put in place for the Coronavirus epidemic as of now. There are exhortations to wash your hands and to self isolate if in doubt, without explaining exactly what that means. There is also talk of keeping things in review and liaising with various people. I would be happier with:

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

1. Isolating [by force if need be] those who have the virus.
    2. Contact tracing and testing to identify who has the virus.
    3. Educating the public not to go to the GP/hospital if they suspect they have the virus.
    Pulpstar said:

DOWN JONES

Dow down deeper and down.

What we'd give for a bit of status quo eh?

I think they are really hoping to get through the next 2 weeks with mostly imported traceable cases and then tell people it is stay at home time.
    That sounds about a week too late to me. FWTW.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

Trump's gonna blame it all on the fake-news MSM.
    The problem for him is that he's used the stock market as *the* main measure of truth so far, against the media. Suddenly fewer people might be interested in his blame.
    edited March 2020
    Has it been suspended already?

Edit/Yes

Meanwhile the FTSE can do the heavy sinking for the US
    kinabalu said:

Because getting rid of much of the nonsense box ticking nonsense that Brown considered to be regulation would have improved regulations, not worsened it.

Replace the boxes with subtle but astute, intelligence-led, regulation by dedicated people who truly knew their onions and yet were sufficiently detached from the business to be robust, impartial, and incorruptible.

I guess that was the Tory plan.

What a shame they were not in charge. Things would have been so much better for us.

Seriously, you sound borderline clueless on this topic. Sorry, but it has to be said.
    Actually I think eliminating the box ticking nonsense and not replacing it with anything at all would have been an improvement.

The problem with the box ticking is it replaces common sense so you think you're protected when in reality you're not, thus making the situation worse.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,128
    nichomar said:

Is the increased activity on here today due to more people ‘working’ from home?

Well I am but then I do for most of the time anyway.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020

I understand there have been modelling studies showing temperature checks at airports are ineffective and I can see why the superior but slower swab-tests would be overkill except on someone at the airport who already is showing symptoms, but I don't get why new arrivals are not being given appropriate advice either by health staff embedded at airports or (more likely) the airline or airport's own staff.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

When do they roughly have to begin trading again by, or is there certain levels of flexibility ?
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,052

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

3. Educating the public not to go to the GP/hospital if they suspect they have the virus.
    getting all medical staff to routinely wear face masks would send a strong message esp. re 3.
    edited March 2020

IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

When do they have to begin trading again by, or is there certain levels of flexibility ?
    I haven't found it officially, but CatMan down thread says its a fifteen minute time out

Edit/ From Bloomberg:

A 15-minute trading halt trading halt took hold after the S&P 500 Index fell 7% to 2,764.21 as of 9:34 a.m. in New York, triggering the breaker for the first time since December 2008 at the depths of the financial crisis. Futures had plunged 4.89% overnight Sunday, triggering exchange rules that limit losses on those contracts and distorting price discovery for the cash market before the opening.

When trading resumes, another 15-minute pause will happen if losses reach 13%, a drop that would put the S&P 500 at 2,585.96. If the decline hits 20%, or 2,377.9, markets will close for the day. Only the 20% rule applies in the final 35 minutes of cash trading. Traders have never seen a 13% or 20% breaker trip.

IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

When do they roughly have to begin trading again by, or is there certain levels of flexibility ?
    15 minutes so not a long break IIRC.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,020

IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

It's 15min, so they will be back at 1:49 our time. Will halt again if it drops down to 13%.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    If the government response is simply 'more of the same' that is seriously amiss. Trot out some guidance on working from home now as the bare minimum FGS.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164
    Getting tempted by buying some September call options. If this peaks in April/May, and the US govt focuses its efforts on the stock market ahead of the election, both of which seem likely, things could look very different then.
    Nigelb said:

That sounds about a week too late to me. FWTW.
    Well although no Boris fan, I do believe that unlike Trump, he will follow the advice of Witty and Co.
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

Or even an app....

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/28/tech/korea-coronavirus-tracking-apps/index.html
    ...Mobile apps that help track the disease in South Korea ranked as six of the top 15 downloads on the country's Google Play app store on Thursday. Developers of some apps — which source their data from public government information — told CNN Business that they have been getting a surge in downloads since launching their products earlier this month.

"The installs are increasing about 20,000 every hour," said Bae Won-Seok, one of the developers of Corona 100m, an app that allows people to see the date that a coronavirus patient was confirmed to have the disease, along with that patient's nationality, gender, age and where the patient visited. The person using the app can also see how close they are to coronavirus patients.

...GPDR be damned !
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The optimal spreader will be someone who touches a lot of things that other people will touch. A supermarket shelf stacker must be high on the list.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

Which is what every other European country have done
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469

I can only presume the government delay on pushing the stop button is that only a couple more weeks and it is Easter holidays. Then you can simply extend schools closures to the whole month of April.

My biggest fear is how many people are going to jet of to the Middle East etc for their Spring sunshine break.

School exams start soon after Easter.
    edited March 2020
    kamski said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

getting all medical staff to routinely wear face masks would send a strong message esp. re 3.
    My elderly mother had a GP appointment today and just rung to say no hand gels, no sign of any extra precautions. I had obviously told them they aren't to sit in the waiting room, to touch door handles etc and to take their own hand gels.
    CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

It's 15min, so they will be back at 1:49 our time. Will halt again if it drops down to 13%.
    That seems quite possible.

CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

That seems quite possible.
    Never been seen before, tho
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

I guess that was the Tory plan...

Yes, that was exactly the Tory plan, returning responsibility for financial supervision (which is NOT the same thing as micro-regulation) back where it belonged: to the Bank of England, where it had been for 150 years before Brown screwed it up. In that 150 years there was not a single bank run in the UK, despite that period encompassing two unprecedented world wars, multiple world financial crises, the 1929 crash, the Great Depression in which hundreds of US banks went bust, the oil-price crisis, and Black Friday.

What's more, this isn't hindsight: in 1997 Francis Maude warned in parliament exactly what would happen under Brown's disastrous 'tripartite' regulation, which left no one in charge of maintaining the integrity of the financial system.

The optimal spreader will be someone who touches a lot of things that other people will touch. A supermarket shelf stacker must be high on the list.

Also people like bin men and delivery drivers, who visit lots of different places every day, touching doors, bells, bins.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    edited March 2020
    One of the things I have found a little odd is that normally in times of international crisis there is a strong switch to the dollar as the ultimate place of safety. In the last 3 weeks the dollar has been consistently weak against the Euro, down 4c, and has even declined against Sterling which has not been particularly strong either.

Is this:
    * because the President of the US is a blithering idiot who simply does not inspire confidence?
    * A general recognition that a major set back for the global economy is a major blow for the US?
    * Recognition that the USA are heading to particular problems with this virus because of their dangerously ineffective health system?
    *Concern that a crisis in China raises the sharp question of who is going to buy all of Trump's bonds?

or something else? It's certainly odd.
    nichomar said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

Because its what works. And so far *touch wood* we've done them much better than many other nations have.
    CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

Edit/Yes

And be suspended for the day if it drops by 20%.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985
    edited March 2020
    kamski said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

It doesn't have to be draconian, nor is there any point implementing measures that are ineffective, but the policies do need to be articulated and applied in a consistent and joined up way. So If your policy is that people coming from infected areas such as North Italy should should self-isolate, they should be met at the airport, explained to them what is required in terms of self isolation and not simply allowed to go onto public transport without challenge.

Trading on this thread is suspended

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Thing about the USA is their equities looked toppy to start with. 2000 pt drop anyway,.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

No no no no no no.

1. This thing
    2. That thing
    3. Another thing

To start with:

Because its what works. And so far *touch wood* we've done them much better than many other nations have.
    You can only make that judgment in two weeks time

Actually I think eliminating the box ticking nonsense and not replacing it with anything at all would have been an improvement.

The problem with the box ticking is it replaces common sense so you think you're protected when in reality you're not, thus making the situation worse.

Valid point.

But, look, this is detail, the question is - if the Cons had been in charge for the years leading up the GFC is it at all probable, based on what we know, that things would have been significantly better for the UK?

If you are answering that with a confident "Yes" - and truly believing it - there is little that one can say except, "Ok, Tory".
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Scott_xP said:
    Really? So there is no other possible behaviour change that can happen right now?

It just isn't good enough, I'm not surprised the Chinese are heading home.
    Pulpstar said:

Thing about the USA is their equities looked toppy to start with. 2000 pt drop anyway,.

I agree - probably the most overvalued market in the world BEFORE Corona.

20,000 before 30,000.

Yes, that was exactly the Tory plan, returning responsibility for financial supervision (which is NOT the same thing as micro-regulation) back where it belonged: to the Bank of England, where it had been for 150 years before Brown screwed it up. In that 150 years there was not a single bank run in the UK, despite that period encompassing two unprecedented world wars, multiple world financial crises, the 1929 crash, the Great Depression in which hundreds of US banks went bust, the oil-price crisis, and Black Friday.

What's more, this isn't hindsight: in 1997 Francis Maude warned in parliament exactly what would happen under Brown's disastrous 'tripartite' regulation, which left no one in charge of maintaining the integrity of the financial system.

The BoE would have headed it off? Or even any material proportion of it?

That is a view that I would describe as sweet.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024

Carnage on the markets

Isnt that a song?

Wait no, that's Murder on the Dancefloor.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024

Scott_xP said:
    Really? So there is no other possible behaviour change that can happen right now?

It just isn't good enough, I'm not surprised the Chinese are heading home.
    Not good enough according to whom?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,200
    kinabalu said:

The BoE would have headed it off? Or even any material proportion of it?

That is a view that I would describe as sweet.
    They managed to do for all those years before. Remember, the affliction in the UK banking industry was completely different to what crashed the banking industry in the US. If you really want to learn something I'll happily go through it, but if you just want to make a cheap partisan point about how Labour weren't to blame and it all started in America there's no point.
    MaxPB said:

They managed to do for all those years before. Remember, the affliction in the UK banking industry was completely different to what crashed the banking industry in the US. If you really want to learn something I'll happily go through it, but if you just want to make a cheap partisan point about how Labour weren't to blame and it all started in America there's no point.

I know far more about this than you do, trust me.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,200
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

I know far more about this than you do, trust me.
    I seriously doubt it.
    MaxPB said:

I seriously doubt it.

No doubt.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    kinabalu said:

Valid point.

But, look, this is detail, the question is - if the Cons had been in charge for the years leading up the GFC is it at all probable, based on what we know, that things would have been significantly better for the UK?

If you are answering that with a confident "Yes" - and truly believing it - there is little that one can say except, "Ok, Tory".
    My recollection from Parliament at the time was that the Conservatives were consistently arguing for less regulation of the markets, not more (rather on the lines of Philip's post), and in general they opposed whatever the Government happened to be doing. For example, they routinely argued that any increase in police numbers was not enough, whereas they now downplay the idea that a reduction has led to less control of crime. No spending budget was high enough, no tax level was low enough.

It's the classic style of opposition, and Labour does it too. But evidence that they would have handled the crisis better is scanty.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164

kinabalu said:

Valid point.

My recollection from Parliament at the time was that the Conservatives were consistently arguing for less regulation of the markets, not more (rather on the lines of Philip's post), and in general they opposed whatever the Government happened to be doing. For example, they routinely argued that any increase in police numbers was not enough, whereas they now downplay the idea that a reduction has led to less control of crime. No spending budget was high enough, no tax level was low enough.

It's the classic style of opposition, and Labour does it too. But evidence that they would have handled the crisis better is scanty.
    As a non partisan you are correct in your recall. The parties in the noughties were arguing about spending differences of 0.5% of GDP as if it was some big ideological gap between red and blue when in reality it is a rounding error in our national accounts.
This discussion has been closed.