Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris remains betting favourite to be the Democratic V

Comments

• I have to admit the location of US States once got me into real trouble.

I once told a people from Washington D.C. that they were from Virginia.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,175
    Chameleon said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

In 'Are you fecking mental?' news, apparently my brother in law and his family are still planning on going on holiday to Italy in a couple of weeks time.

Well I suppose if you ever want to avoid the queues for the Sistine chapel and the Uffizi and get a good value gondola and place at a top Italian restaurant now is the time
    My friends` son is still going to Northern Italy with the school, first week of Easter holidays.
    Italy is threatening to close all ski resorts
    Link?
    I've just arrived in Corvars.
    You're not in the red zone, so ski lifts etc will still be going and no lockdown yet.
    Your return travel routes are your most likely source of trouble with the new lockdown.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2020
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

In 'Are you fecking mental?' news, apparently my brother in law and his family are still planning on going on holiday to Italy in a couple of weeks time.

Well I suppose if you ever want to avoid the queues for the Sistine chapel and the Uffizi and get a good value gondola and place at a top Italian restaurant now is the time
    My friends` son is still going to Northern Italy with the school, first week of Easter holidays.
    Link?
    See Cyclefree post at 9.51pm
    There isn't a post at 9:51
    It (the time stamp) may be changed to 10.51 where you are
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124
    ydoethur said:

When was the last time a losing primary contender for President was chosen as the Veep?

Too easy! Joe Biden in 2008. But yes, it is rare and I won't be betting on it happening in 2020.
    So he did. I thought he had withdrawn before the Iowa caucus, but turns out he withdrew after it.

It seems to be fairly common, therefore, but not by any means a given.
    On reflection, perhaps the last defeated candidate to fill the VP role being Joe Biden himself does make it more likely to occur this time, assuming Biden not Sanders gets the top slot.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    Corvaro isn`t in Lombardy or Veneto (I don`t think) - so you may be ok.
  • Other controversial view.

Florida isn't in the South, at least ideologically.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357
    Chameleon said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    You're not in the red zone, so ski lifts etc will still be going and no lockdown yet.
    The hotel is half empty. I assume the slopes will be too. Sunny tomorrow. Looking.forward to skiing in the fresh air away from all the crowds. Safer than London
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

All ski resorts? I thought just Lombardy ones. The school isn`t going to Lombardy. The school won`t cancel the trip because the Uk government hasn`t banned travel. Without this they cannot claim off their travel insurance and the school would lose well over £30k. Therefore they won`t cancel.
    And if the kids get Covid-19? How much are they going to have to pay out in damages?

Well over £30k.....
    Barnesian said:

Chameleon said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    The hotel is half empty. I assume the slopes will be too. Sunny tomorrow. Looking.forward to skiing in the fresh air away from all the crowds. Safer than London
    Yes, I agree, you lucky thing. I guess the airport is your main worry, but maybe Innsbruck is OKish.
    Pro_Rata said:

Chameleon said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    Your return travel routes are your most likely source of trouble with the new lockdown.
    I'm returning via Innsbruck
    edited March 2020
    philiph said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    See Cyclefree post at 9.51pm
    There isn't a post at 9:51
    It (the time stamp) may be changed to 10.51 where you are
    ah

Cyclefree isn't referring to South Tyrol

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

All ski resorts? I thought just Lombardy ones. The school isn`t going to Lombardy. The school won`t cancel the trip because the Uk government hasn`t banned travel. Without this they cannot claim off their travel insurance and the school would lose well over £30k. Therefore they won`t cancel.
    And if the kids get Covid-19? How much are they going to have to pay out in damages?

Well over £30k.....
    I think the school in banking on parents withdrawing their children, thus forfeiting their own deposits. I`ll see if I can get an update from my friends.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Well over £30k.....
    I think the school in banking on parents withdrawing their children, thus forfeiting their own deposits. I`ll see if I can get an update from my friends.
    I can see a similar situation developing for exhibitions.

Where it is in the financial interest of the organisation staging an exhibition to allow it to continue as an exhibitor a risk assessment would no doubt indicate that an employer shouldn't subject staff to the travel and exposure to numerous members of the public.

The organisers will not want to cancel, it is probably better for them if exhibitors withdraw and forfeit any deposits.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Well over £30k.....
    I'd have thought nothing if the FCO haven't advised against travel. That's the whole point of FCO advice.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622

You could have got long odds on Missouri -South or not? dislodging Corona Virus stuff on this thread!

The US Census Bureau has Missouri in the Mid West, I'm right as usual.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/maps-data/maps/reference/us_regdiv.pdf
    When I was travelling around the states I was surprised to see how far north the south seemed to be. Although it was certainly hotter there.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    edited March 2020

Other controversial view.

Great and hilarious Clive James postcard from Miami on BBC4 now, Florida is part deep South, part northern Americans retirement home and part mini Cuba
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

It seems like it is getting more southern than Virginia and North Carolina.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,128

The Census Bureau reckon it's in the South.
    edited March 2020
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:
    There was not a single pleasant reply to that tweet
    It did get 81 000 likes though, even if it does look a bit Melania Antoinette

I have to admit the location of US States once got me into real trouble.

I once told a people from Washington D.C. that they were from Virginia.

The U.S. Constitution provided for a federal district under the exclusive jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, and the District is therefore not a part of any U.S. state. The states of Maryland and Virginia each donated land to form the federal district, which included the pre-existing settlements of Georgetown and Alexandria. The City of Washington was founded in 1791 to serve as the new national capital. In 1846, Congress returned the land originally ceded by Virginia, including the city of Alexandria; in 1871, it created a single municipal government for the remaining portion of the District.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453

The south of it isn't in the south.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,410
    The subject of tonight's Moral Maze on Radio 4 is coronavirus.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    The north of Florida is far more southern than the south of Florida.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,453
    Trump is drifting. Some bad polls out for him ?
    edited March 2020
    "Sir Philip Rutnam 'declared war' on Priti Patel, says senior civil servant in new backing for Home Secretary

Mandarin tells of officials openly undermining Ms Patel in meetings"

(£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/07/sir-philip-rutnam-declared-war-priti-patel-says-senior-civil/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
  • Pulpstar said:

Trump is drifting. Some bad polls out for him ?

More lots of media coverage of just how badly he's handled the coronavirus.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    I wonder how many US deaths will be attributed to that catastrophic failure. My guess is probably in the high hundreds of thousands, relative to other countries that tested better and sooner.
    Implied odds, BFE:

Trump 53%
    Biden 41%
    Sanders 4%

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.128151441
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    Should we not be worried as a country that restrictions are now needed on the amount of Calpol that parents can buy in supermarkets?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    HYUFD said:
    I actually agree with the guy for once, I have twelve tins waiting...!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Should we not be worried as a country that restrictions are now needed on the amount of Calpol that parents can buy in supermarkets?

Hasn't there long been? For as long as I remember the limit is 2 paracetamol or ibuprofen items and that includes infant suspension.

Hasn't there long been? For as long as I remember the limit is 2 paracetamol or ibuprofen items and that includes infant suspension.
    Why are parents panicking about Calprol?

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Well over £30k.....
    I'd have thought nothing if the FCO haven't advised against travel. That's the whole point of FCO advice.
    Oh, I think their lawyers will say that the FCO advise was just one aspect they should have considered, along with "ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?????"

Certainly restrictions on pasta, 3 packs only now per customer in Epping Tescos after the shelves almost bare
  • But he can do enormous damage between now and november, sadly
    HYUFD said:

Certainly restrictions on pasta, 3 packs only now per customer in Epping Tescos after the shelves almost bare
    I haven't seen any panic buying in the Midlands so far. I wonder why people in Essex are panicking more than elsewhere.

But he can do enormous damage between now and november, sadly
    This could be a horrific year for the US. Mass deaths from coronavirus, economic recession and then a rogue president refusing to leave power.
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

I haven't seen any panic buying in the Midlands so far. I wonder why people in Essex are panicking more than elsewhere.
    I have a friend in Hereford in the Midlands who has just posted images of empty shelves at the local supermarket on Facebook tonight so it is not just Essex
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Cyclefree said:

My uncle, aunt, 2 cousins, their spouses and 4 children between them are now quarantined.

I hope they will be well.
    Fingers crossed for them Cyclefree

I think a lot of other families will be in that situation before to long.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Gabs3 said:

But he can do enormous damage between now and november, sadly
    This could be a horrific year for the US. Mass deaths from coronavirus, economic recession and then a rogue president refusing to leave power.
    It sounds more like SeanT's next novel....
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,235
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

I have a friend in Hereford in the Midlands who has just posted images of empty shelves at the local supermarket on Facebook tonight so it is not just Essex
    Empty shelves of what ?

I suspect that many of the people who want to buy dry pasta don't even know how to cook it.
    I make no apologies for posting this again tonight.

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1236348333419106305
    I have some sympathy to panic buyers of food in London.

With the cost of housing they probably have less storage space each there than in other places so would have less food in their homes usually.

And are perhaps more used to eating out.
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

If you really want to see the snowflakes of London start panic buying, create a run on fresh avacado.....
    Mohammed bin Nayef, the former crown prince of Saudi Arabia, who got bumped off the succession list to make way for MBS, has been arrested.

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

I suspect that many of the people who want to buy dry pasta don't even know how to cook it.
    "They'll be stuffed when there's nothing coming out of the water taps": Greg Preston.
    HYUFD said:
    Did he go back at 7pm to buy more bog rolls ?
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Pasta, toilet rolls, rice, increasingly tinned food etc.

You only need to boil pasta it is not haute cuisine

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Just boil it in the bag for four hours.

None of this poncy "al dente" nonsense here.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

That's still beyond the abilities of many people.

And you're not doing the image of Epping much good by posting this.
    https://twitter.com/epsilon3141/status/1236007745297539074?s=20
    2 weeks is very optimistic for "healthcare collapse stage". Since this is to a large degree localised they're already on the brink.
    Gabs3 said:

Mohammed bin Nayef, the former crown prince of Saudi Arabia, who got bumped off the succession list to make way for MBS, has been arrested.

"bumped off" is an unfortunate turn of phrase in Saudi Arabia.....

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Just boil it in the bag for four hours.

None of this poncy "al dente" nonsense here.
    I expect some people would try microwaving dry pasta.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The image of Epping at the moment is the least of our concerns and as I posted below this is now occurring across the country
    Scott_xP said:
    Cheltenham too now and you can't get more middle class than Cheltenham Waitrose!
    Chameleon said:

2 weeks is very optimistic for "healthcare collapse stage". Since this is to a large degree localised they're already on the brink.

Dinner tonight with old friends, one of whom is a NHS worker on clinical side. His message - basically stay calm, media are blowing this out of all proportion, no idea why panic is setting in, seasonal flu with a bit extra etc. Actually local hospital is far more concerned about norovirus sick bug.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The image of Epping at the moment is the least of our concerns and as I posted below this is now occurring across the country
    If HYFUD is posting this, it must be official govt policy.... :D
    Scott_xP said:
    Just UKIP "Clean behind the Cooker Week" in full swing.....
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Not anywhere I've been to or many other PBers.

Still if you want to boast about living in idiotville that's your choice.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Have you been out this evening? Where do you live? I challenge you to go to your local supermarket tonight or tomorrow night and find the toilet roll and pasta shelves are not near empty
    edited March 2020

Chameleon said:

Dinner tonight with old friends, one of whom is a NHS worker on clinical side. His message - basically stay calm, media are blowing this out of all proportion, no idea why panic is setting in, seasonal flu with a bit extra etc. Actually local hospital is far more concerned about norovirus sick bug.
    Interesting, I hope that he knows something most people don't. But so far he seems to be swimming quite strongly against the tide of experts with this.

Mortality rate 1-5%, 5-10% of patients needing ICU aren't great figures. Maybe it'll take Italy's healthcare system collapsing to shock people into reality.

WRT to the Lancet article doubling time of about 6 days seems to be the broad consensus, so good to see that being reinforced.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Have you been out this evening? Where do you live? I challenge you to go to your local supermarket tonight or tomorrow night and find the toilet roll and pasta shelves are not near empty
    What about the BROTH aisle?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

I've been today and they weren't.

If I were you I'd get off PB now and go to bed - you don't want to miss the 10am opening to get more for your bog roll and dry pasta stockpile.
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

If I were you I'd get off PB now and go to bed - you don't want to miss the 10am opening to get more for your bog roll and dry pasta stockpile.
    At what time and where? I went at 8pm so after most Saturday shoppers had already been
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876

Gabs3 said:

"bumped off" is an unfortunate turn of phrase in Saudi Arabia.....
    Along with the King’s brother:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/saudi-crown-prince-in-new-purge-with-treason-arrests
    “This is like Baghdad in the 60s...”
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Interesting, I hope that he knows something most people don't. But so far he seems to be swimming quite strongly against the tide of experts with this.

Mortality rate 1-5%, 5-10% of patients needing ICU aren't great figures. Maybe it'll take Italy's healthcare system collapsing to shock people into reality.

WRT to the Lancet article doubling time of about 6 days seems to be the broad consensus, so good to see that being reinforced.
    I agree. I was flabbergasted to hear what I did tonight. Tempted to really argue, but it was a nice social evening and so I held back.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    Scott_xP said:
    I’m not sure that I would associate “Trump” with quality, so I’m at a loss to understand why anyone else would want the name.
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

https://twitter.com/CaliCali2000/status/1233920891550986240?s=20

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1234323912382500864?s=20

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1234598509971677186?s=20

https://twitter.com/DavidCaoEV/status/1234393682737893376?s=20

https://twitter.com/SciBry/status/1236329210135928832?s=20

I make no apologies for posting this again tonight.

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1236348333419106305

Let's talk MATHS
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

At what time and where? I went at 8pm so after most Saturday shoppers had already been
    8pm in South Yorkshire.

I'll look again tomorrow.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

Who stockpiles meat? Insanity!
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The only thing sold out in Wycombe was antibacterial hand gel. I saw one shop out of loo paper, but others had plenty.

No panic buying here in Ireland...

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

8pm in South Yorkshire.

I'll look again tomorrow.
    Well when we all go into quarantine like Lombardy we know where the emergency supplies will have to be flown into
    edited March 2020

Chameleon said:

In NW Europe 11 countries with a population of 216 million have had 3 fatalities from coronavirus.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    HYUFD said:
    IIUC it's largely back in stock in Japan, it's not like 3/11 where there were production delays or the face mask thing where there's suddenly just way more global demand than supply. People buy it, the shop runs out, then they get some more.
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The same people who will panic buy dry pasta without knowing what to do with it.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

There is only so much toilet roll that I can store in my cheeks.
    edited March 2020

https://twitter.com/Coronavirusi/status/1234513306183925761?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheoWilliamsss/status/1233867649106489344?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheLiberal_ie/status/1235536046999457793?s=20
    One thing guaranteed to get panic buying going is to tell people that it is happening.
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The USA tweet is six days old.

The German, Australian and Japanese tweets are five days old.

You're an idiot.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 596
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

No shortage of toilet roll in my village, although sanitizers are sold out.

Has Bulgaria been really lucky or are its figures as dodgy as Turkey's?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The same people who will panic buy dry pasta without knowing what to do with it.
    I assume they will cook it. It lasts forever, unlike meat.
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

In NW Europe 11 countries with a population of 216 million have had 3 fatalities from coronavirus.
    I note that you've now excluded France from your cherry picking. 16 deaths, +7 today if you're wondering. Possibly Spain as well? 10 deaths, +7.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The German and Japanese tweets are five days old.

You're an idiot.
    No you are with your head firmly in the sand, the same trend is clearly coming here and those photos were all within a week
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    edited March 2020

One thing guaranteed to get panic buying going is to tell people that it is happening.

There must be marketing people sitting around trying to work out how to coordinate a flash mob to create a Hob Nob Panic or whatever
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469

There was in Dunnes in Cork. It makes for an interesting contrast with the lack of panic-buying in advance of a possible no deal Brexit almost a year ago.
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

To date...
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/Coronavirusi/status/1234513306183925761?s=20
    twitter.com/TheoWilliamsss/status/1233867649106489344?s=20
    twitter.com/TheLiberal_ie/status/1235536046999457793?s=20
    There were no empty supermarkets when I was out doing my panic buying this evening. All 17 of them seemed OK to me
    Chameleon said:

Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

I note that you've now excluded France from your cherry picking. 16 deaths, +7 today if you're wondering. Possibly Spain as well? 10 deaths, +7.
    Whenever a centre of vulnerable people gets infected we're likely to see a surge of deaths - the Washington oldies home as an example.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Empty shelves of what ?

The German, Australian and Japanese tweets are five days old.

You're an idiot.
    I've just come back from my local supermarket. Other than an absence of hand sanitisers, it was completely normal.
This discussion has been closed.