Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kamala Harris remains betting favourite to be the Democratic V

Comments

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Has the virus hit any swing states so far? It seems to be primarily in blue states like the coastal states and Washington state especially.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644

Has the virus hit any swing states so far? It seems to be primarily in blue states like the coastal states and Washington state especially.

There have been deaths in Florida.
  • alex_ said:

FWIW there's still adverts and packages available to perform the Hajj.

https://www.greenprophet.com/2020/03/meccas-hajj-coronavirus-cancelled/

No other sources for that.

Honestly if it happens you’d see news about it everywhere.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,124
    edited March 2020
    Deleted as might have misinterpreted ambiguous sentence.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Alistair said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1236362795093983234
    France days behind Italy.

Washington probably just a couple days behind France.
    https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1236368897860947979

Does anyone believe 16 deaths and 102 cases?

Even with the fact it swept through a care home that seems implausible.

Washington may have more cases than France already in reality.
    The only thing less believable is Egypt's figures
    Indonesia?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

alex_ said:

Isn't it simply the case that if the temporary measures currently in place were continued they would greatly restrict the Hajj, we just don't know if they will yet?
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 756
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Of course not, it's clearly massively under.

France is pretty badly hit, but I wouldn't be surprised if Washington was ahead of us. Remember, it only got into two completely different carehomes because there was a lot of community transmission in the first case. NYC is up 50 today. The US is barely testing anyone, yet finding cases everywhere.
    As of yesterday, "Through interviews with dozens of public-health officials and a survey of local data from across the country, The Atlantic could only verify that 1,895 people have been tested for the coronavirus in the United States, about 10 percent of whom have tested positive."

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

The Scottish Government update every day on the number of tests done: https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

"Scottish test numbers
    A total of 1680 Scottish tests have concluded. Of these:

1664 tests were confirmed negative
    16 tests were positive"

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773

alex_ said:

Only the "umrah" - the litte Haj - so far.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/02/28/saudis-sudden-umrah-ban-leaves-pilgrims-heartbroken.html
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Alistair said:
    "Nearly 17"?? Like, um, 16?
    edited March 2020
    The thing about America's criminal approach to testing very low numbers of people, is that it is massively undermining messages about people self isolating. Understandably people are thinking (on the basis of the numbers reported) that the risk of transmission (or catching) is extremely low. I note the Washington State (or possibly New York) Governor was complaining that people aren't following Public Health advice/guidance. I don't think this is happening or will happen to anywhere like the same extent in, for example, the UK.

Alistair said:
    Its Missouri. Could be 16 and 3/5th of a person.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

The thing about America's criminal approach to testing very low numbers of people, is that it is massively undermining messages about people self isolating. Understandably people are thinking (on the basis of the numbers reported) that the risk of transmission (or catching) is extremely low. I note the Washington State (or possibly New York) Governor was complaining that people aren't following Public Health advice/guidance. I don't think this is happening or will happen to anywhere like the same extent in, for example, the UK.

Victorian Britain invented the concept of public health ; the US still thinks it's bolshevism.

Alistair said:
    One's in the post
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    If they'd tested 967 people, I could see why you'd say "we've tested nearly a thousand people". But "nearly 17".

Do they mean 16? Do they mean someone is on their way to get tested now, and it'll soon be 17...

alex_ said:

Victorian Britain invented the concept of public health ; the US still thinks it's bolshevism.
    Interestingly due to an earlier discussion I was reading about Nixon earlier today. And how he tried to introduce something very similar to the Affordable Care Act, with strong support from the Republican Party. The only reason it failed was because the Democrats blocked it for "not being liberal enough"...
  • rcs1000 said:

If they'd tested 967 people, I could see why you'd say "we've tested nearly a thousand people". But "nearly 17".

Do they mean 16? Do they mean someone is on their way to get tested now, and it'll soon be 17...
    I think it meant they've completely tested sixteen and are currently testing a seventeenth person that hasn't finished.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Estimating the infection and case fatality ratio for COVID-19 using age-adjusted data from the outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship
    https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/severity/diamond_cruise_cfr_estimates.html
    Adjusting for delay from confirmation-to-death, we estimated case and infection fatality ratios (CFR, IFR) for COVID-19 on the Diamond Princess ship as 2.3% (0.75%–5.3%) and 1.2% (0.38–2.7%). Comparing deaths onboard with expected deaths based on naive CFR estimates using China data, we estimate IFR and CFR in China to be 0.5% (95% CI: 0.2–1.2%) and 1.1% (95% CI: 0.3–2.4%) respectively...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622

Alistair said:
    Tbf in between attending fancy dinners the governor did later find time to tweet the news that they are now racing ahead and have reached the grand total of 21...
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:
    Tbf in between attending fancy dinners the governor did later find time to tweet the news that they are now racing ahead and have reached the grand total of 21...
    In any other context it would really be quite funny.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    In 'Are you fecking mental?' news, apparently my brother in law and his family are still planning on going on holiday to Italy in a couple of weeks time.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Interestingly due to an earlier discussion I was reading about Nixon earlier today. And how he tried to introduce something very similar to the Affordable Care Act, with strong support from the Republican Party. The only reason it failed was because the Democrats blocked it for "not being liberal enough"...
    The two main influences on the US attitudes to healthcare generally pre-date NIxon. The first was a McCarthyite approach by the AMA - American Medical Association - in the 1950s, and the second was also to do with the 1950s, but to do with race. Public healthcare at that time was seen as too disproportionately advantageous to black communities.

For this reason attitudes associating the luck of public healthcare with "freedom" in the United States are very precisely linked with a literally reactionary, intellectually restricted period, with this McCarthyite revivalism being one aspect of Reaganism, rather than the more general and historical American suspicion of central government and governmental authority.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    One thing occurs to me, given what is happening now the Tories would have to be absolutely raving mad to do a trade deal with the US that involves healthcare. It would be political suicide.
  • The *lack* of public healthcare, that should be.
    We've passed 4k already today. This means that yesterday now holds the record for 2nd most daily infections, behind today. 3rd place is 4th Feb.

In 'Are you fecking mental?' news, apparently my brother in law and his family are still planning on going on holiday to Italy in a couple of weeks time.

Where about?
    Lebanon to default on its sovereign debt

Italy seems totally out of control.

Italians don’t do control.

And in other news....
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Chameleon said:

Where about?
    Not sure - I've only heard 2nd hand.
  • Talking about the KSA.

Saudi Arabia has detained three senior Saudi princes including Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz, the younger brother of King Salman, and Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, the king’s nephew, for allegedly planning a coup, sources with knowledge of the matter said.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, King Salman’s son and de facto ruler of the country, which is the world’s top oil exporter and a key U.S. ally, has moved to consolidate power since ousting Mohammed bin Nayef as heir to the throne in a 2017 palace coup.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/07/saudi-arabia-detains-three-senior-royals-including-kings-brother-sources-say.html
    glw said:

One thing occurs to me, given what is happening now the Tories would have to be absolutely raving mad to do a trade deal with the US that involves healthcare. It would be political suicide.

Already been ruled out in giant letters.

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

At the Texas Democrat primary the total number of votes increased by 44.6% from 1.4m to 2.1m. If you apply that to California the number of votes would increase from 5.2m to 7.5m which would mean only about half the votes have been counted so far.

Are there any plausible explanations as to why electronic votes take weeks to get counted, when pencil and paper votes can be done and dusted in six hours?
    Not sure, although in California the delay is caused by the fact that people can mail their ballots in as long as they're posted on polling day. They can arrive later.
    Betting on racing used to work the same way. Bookmakers would look at the time the envelope was franked.
    Reminds me of the famous football pools fraud attempted way back by some postmen who were able to reset the franking machine to make it look as if their winning entry had simply been late in the post.
    glw said:

There was never a chance of it happening in the first place. All a figment of Corbyn's imagination.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    edited March 2020

Chameleon said:

Where about?
    Our local college has at last seen sense and cancelled their trip to Northern Italy - only cancelled yesterday - as late as Wednesday they were adamant they were going
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    edited March 2020

2 deaths in Florida:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/07/us/florida-coronavirus-deaths/index.html

In Japan a lot of the first cases were urban (tourism/international travel) but the subsequent waves are everywhere - eg out in Tochigi (I don't live in Tokyo any more, I just leave that in my handle to fool the burglars) we had a case from the ship (she tested negative initially so they put her on a bus to the station and told her to get the train home) and another from someone who went to a gig in Osaka.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464

glw said:

There was never a chance of it happening in the first place. All a figment of Corbyn's imagination.
    I have tried to find the advocates of US style healthcare in the UK all my life. I can't seem to actually find any. Certainly no one vaguely in main stream UK politics.

https://twitter.com/DellAnnaLuca/status/1235864997890154496
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    edited March 2020

Well I suppose if you ever want to avoid the queues for the Sistine chapel and the Uffizi and get a good value gondola and place at a top Italian restaurant now is the time
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,469

Ohio was quoted earlier as being on zero cases, but is that at all plausible? I'm curious whether there's any correlation between the number of tests being made and the political affiliation of the state governor, or if the federal situation is the main impediment.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

The wealthy in the US believed that the welfare of the poor in their country wasn’t any of their concern. Suddenly, they find out that it is.
    Interestingly the Victorian approach was based on the fact that disease in the slums would turn up in the Place of Westminster in due course.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n04/erin-maglaque/inclined-to-putrefaction includes the story of how the Florentines fed the poor, quite richly, in quarantine to keep them rom trying to break out. And ended up with half the death rate of their neighbours...
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

Well I suppose if you ever want to avoid the queues for the Sistine chapel and the Uffizi and get a good value gondola and place at a top Italian restaurant now is the time
    My friends` son is still going to Northern Italy with the school, first week of Easter holidays.

Alistair said:
    Maybe a Mexican? They`re quite small.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    Alistair said:

Chameleon said:

Except, all the reported Egyptian cases so far have been brought into the country by travellers, and, as someone who has been to Egypt in February, it will already be dry and hot there. Corona could still be unfavourable to warm dry climates.
  • BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    I have a trip to venice on the orient Express booked for 15 April. I'm waiting to see whether the train is cancelled or Italy is locked down first. Though by then there could be as many cases here so not much difference in risk I guess.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

glw said:

Yeah I know what has been said, but now even the tiniest amount of finagling to give the US indirect access would be politically disastrous. The last few weeks have been utterly damning for the US approach to healthcare.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

My friends` son is still going to Northern Italy with the school, first week of Easter holidays.
    Though...

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1236403789508247553?s=20
  • Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Italy is threatening to close all ski resorts
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Chameleon said:

Except, all the reported Egyptian cases so far have been brought into the country by travellers, and, as someone who has been to Egypt in February, it will already be dry and hot there. Corona could still be unfavourable to warm dry climates.
    Egypt have exported 15 people with the virus who'd only been there. It's like how the first sign of Iran being bad was lots of people rocking up with it in other countries, having only been to Iran.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    HYUFD said:
    22% of Remain voters want the UK to set its own rules? Are they nuts?
    Balrog said:

I have a trip to venice on the orient Express booked for 15 April. I'm waiting to see whether the train is cancelled or Italy is locked down first. Though by then there could be as many cases here so not much difference in risk I guess.

It could be Purdah on the Orient Express

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Presumably to stop it going Downhill
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    On topic, Biden seems pretty popular with black voters and Kamala wasn't particularly, so I'm not sure she brings that much to the ticket.

It's definitely possible that Biden cut a deal with another contender - it could be Buttigieg, but also KLOBUCHAR looked exceedingly perky after she dropped out. Send her around her neighbouring states of Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin, camp Joe out in Pennsylvania where he's from and hang on to what Hillary won everywhere else and that's the end of Donald Trump.
    Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/DellAnnaLuca/status/1235864997890154496
    I know we know the death rate is 10x higher for the old, but is that true of the hospitalization rate to ICU?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Chameleon said:

People keep coming back from Egypt with corona virus.
    edited March 2020

On topic, Biden seems pretty popular with black voters and Kamala wasn't particularly, so I'm not sure she brings that much to the ticket.

It's definitely possible that Biden cut a deal with another contender - it could be Buttigieg, but also KLOBUCHAR looked exceedingly perky after she dropped out. Send her around her neighbouring states of Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin, camp Joe out in Pennsylvania where he's from and hang on to what Hillary won everywhere else and that's the end of Donald Trump.

She said today she was joining the ticket and then corrected herself FWIW. Seems like a mistake - apparently she is awful to work with. I met a person who worked on her Senate campaign and said it was the worst three months of his life.
    Alistair said:

IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

Chameleon said:

People keep coming back from Egypt with corona virus.
    Strangely those who travelled there with someone who already had it.
    Balrog said:

That’s a real mystery.
  • Floater said:

Chameleon said:

Where about?
    Our local college has at last seen sense and cancelled their trip to Northern Italy - only cancelled yesterday - as late as Wednesday they were adamant they were going
    Our 15-year-old daughter is due to go on a 2 weeks work experience/skiing trip over Easter to Bormio Province in Northern Italy and the School still insists the trip is still on.
    https://twitter.com/ColeMillerTV/status/1236398655906516992

Kirkland centre in Seattle now reporting ~24 deaths.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    alex_ said:

Lebanon to default on its sovereign debt

No surprise to anyone following (which strangely I am,. for personal reasons)
    Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    My 3/5ths reference was to something else but either it was too obscure or I guess nobody found it amusing.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,175

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Italy's red full lockdown zone has been extended today from the original area covering around 50000 people to around 14 million. The whole of Lombardy, the areas between Lombardy and the edges of Turin and Bologna, Venice and surrounding areas and the Adriatic coast from Rimini to Urbino are locked down until April 3rd.

They have done poorly on this aspect, they should have been red zoning on a much more dynamic basis, and perhaps they could have avoided getting here.

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/ColeMillerTV/status/1236398655906516992

Kirkland centre in Seattle now reporting ~24 deaths.

"Test results reported back to us: 0"
  • Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    My 3/5ths reference was to something else but either it was too obscure or I guess nobody found it amusing.
    Missouri is a bit too North for the South for that joke to really work.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    He probably still believes in the formula set out in the Bill of Rights
    edited March 2020

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

I mean the Missouri Compromise should be a clue?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,600
    edited March 2020

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

I know, but it is lazy for most people who think = The South were where all the racist slaveholders lived.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    My uncle, aunt, 2 cousins, their spouses and 4 children between them are now quarantined.

I hope they will be well.
    Cyclefree said:

My uncle, aunt, 2 cousins, their spouses and 4 children between them are now quarantined.

Best wishes!

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

I know, but it is lazy for most people who think = The South were where all the racist slaveholders lived.
    Missouri is in the South.
    Gabs3 said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

Philosophically but not geographically.
  • Gabs3 said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

Is in the Mid West.

Gabs3 said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

Is in the Mid West.
    Its also north of the parallel that demarcated slave and free states.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    Under the Missouri Compromise of 1820, which literally had its 200th anniversary yesterday, slavery north of the 36°30′ parallel was prohibited... except for a special exemption for Missouri, which was thereby admitted to the Union as a slave state.

Though in the Civil War things were more complicated and Missouri tried to remain neutral as well as sending representatives to both the Union and Confederate legislatures and being represented as a star on both flags, which is rather having it three ways! (In practice it ended up as a Union state with a Confederate government in exile; more of its men joined the Union Army than the Confederates. In 1861 Lincoln actually rescinded an order for the emancipation of slaves in Missouri in order to avoid ticking off pro-Union slave states.)
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,536
    The fashion for beards may be impeding treatment of the sick.
    Coronavirus: Ambulance chiefs consider facial hair ban.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51785266

Floater said:

Chameleon said:

Where about?
    Our 15-year-old daughter is due to go on a 2 weeks work experience/skiing trip over Easter to Bormio Province in Northern Italy and the School still insists the trip is still on.
    You can’t deny it’d be an experience....
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    I've just arrived in Corvars.
    Gabs3 said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    It was a slave state.

Too featureless and boring to be in the south,
    You could have got long odds on Missouri -South or not? dislodging Corona Virus stuff on this thread!

5,000 people with the coronavirus have been quarantined at John Lennon Airport.

Imagine all the people.

Another 4,000 quarantined in holes in Blackburn, Lancashire.
    HYUFD said:
    There was not a single pleasant reply to that tweet
  • Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    See Cyclefree post at 9.51pm
  • Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    Under the Missouri Compromise of 1820, which literally had its 200th anniversary yesterday, slavery north of the 36°30′ parallel was prohibited... except for a special exemption for Missouri, which was thereby admitted to the Union as a slave state.

Though in the Civil War things were more complicated and Missouri tried to remain neutral as well as sending representatives to both the Union and Confederate legislatures and being represented as a star on both flags, which is rather having it three ways! (In practice it ended up as a Union state with a Confederate government in exile; more of its men joined the Union Army than the Confederates. In 1861 Lincoln actually rescinded an order for the emancipation of slaves in Missouri in order to avoid ticking off pro-Union slave states.)
    At last, something I can comment on without being wrong.

I lived in Missouri for five years. It's got aspects of different regions (St. Louis has an eastern vibe, Kansas City western) but it's Midwestern, if anything. Lots of flat, flat terrain. And more southern as you got towards Arkansas.
    Cyclefree said:

I fear you have an early insight into what many of us will be exposed to in the weeks ahead. I hope they do not have the virus, or if they do, they have a mild form and an early all-clear.
  • You could have got long odds on Missouri -South or not? dislodging Corona Virus stuff on this thread!

The US Census Bureau has Missouri in the Mid West, I'm right as usual.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/maps-data/maps/reference/us_regdiv.pdf
    Gabs3 said:

She said today she was joining the ticket and then corrected herself FWIW. Seems like a mistake - apparently she is awful to work with. I met a person who worked on her Senate campaign and said it was the worst three months of his life.
    Why, did they have to listen to the same joke every day ?
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    You're not in the red zone, so ski lifts etc will still be going and no lockdown yet.

Stocky said:

Alistair said:
    I found it amusing to the extent that topic can be amusing

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

All ski resorts? I thought just Lombardy ones. The school isn`t going to Lombardy. The school won`t cancel the trip because the Uk government hasn`t banned travel. Without this they cannot claim off their travel insurance and the school would lose well over £30k. Therefore they won`t cancel.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,357

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Link?
    See Cyclefree post at 9.51pm
    There isn't a post at 9:51
This discussion has been closed.