Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now former betting favourite, Elizabeth Warren, quits the race

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

When did this site become PanicBuying.com?

Not for me, just cleaning and sanitation supplies. I expect to be able to drop by on the way home from work for food, but will also work my way through the cupboards and shed a bit of waistline too.
    I'm hoarding the special buy 16oz rump steaks from Aldi last week, which are beautiful. Had to portion them pronto and into the freezer, as otherwise I would have had a very high protein week.
    Are Aldi/ Lidl steaks any good ? I’m too snobby to go in but I might for cheap steak.

Do they do tomahawks ?
    If you do not mind cruelly consigning animals to a horrible and disease ridden life and death...why not go cheaper??
    It’s not the food I dislike in Lidl - it’s the customers.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    tyson said:

The best way to not get fat is not be greedy...and exercise....then you can do pretty much what you want....and drink alcohol and not to think about it

However, if it were that easy to accomplish then two-thirds of the entire adult population of the country would not be overweight or obese...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,125
    tyson said:

The best way to not get fat is not be greedy...and exercise....then you can do pretty much what you want....and drink alcohol and not to think about it

That said, meat eating is pretty disgusting...but that is another story.....

I respect your views but beg to differ re meat.

Having said that, of our seven dinners this week, four are vegetarian, two have fish and only one is meat-based. All things in moderation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,209
    Nights and Crosses is actually rather good, but I have always had a thing for Ms Baxendale.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Not for me, just cleaning and sanitation supplies. I expect to be able to drop by on the way home from work for food, but will also work my way through the cupboards and shed a bit of waistline too.
    I'm hoarding the special buy 16oz rump steaks from Aldi last week, which are beautiful. Had to portion them pronto and into the freezer, as otherwise I would have had a very high protein week.
    I agree on the bread maker!

A tee total and pescatorian Lent for me, in a get healthy for the pandemic diet.

Doing wonders for my blood pressure, alarmingly.
    Really? Do you think that's cutting out the alcohol or the meat?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nights and Crosses is actually rather good, but I have always had a thing for Ms Baxendale.

It lost me at “BBC Drama presents..”
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Foxy said:

Which part of that did you not understand? :wink:
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Foxy said:

Am watching War of the Worlds with Gabrielle Byrne on FOX.

Not bad so far.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

A tee total and pescatorian Lent for me, in a get healthy for the pandemic diet.

Probably the alcohol. I don't eat much meat anyway.

That is the cause of my alarm!
  • Options

Sainsbury's yesterday seemed very short of Coke, of all things.

Well, if they've run out of disinfectant washes, it's the next best thing.
    That was probably me - I drink 2 cans a day (have done most days all my adult life) and periodically stock up! For some reason people find this odd :)

I did notice that things like cheap pasta and long-life milk had disappeared off the shelves - suspect there's some discreet stockpiling going on. I'll confess to buying some cans and some frozen food - I think there's a distinction between massive hoarding (silly and anti-social) and having enough tinned stuff to keep you going for a couple of weeks (sensible).
    What I've been doing for weeks.

Went out and bought £100 of frozen organic meat from the farm butcher today.
    Tinned food, microwave rice, frozen jacket potatoes and chocolate biscuits here. Basically all stuff that I know I'll end up using anyway, just in slightly larger than usual quantities.

Oh, and bog roll. I saw all those weird reports about bog roll stockpiling in Australia, and considered the possibility that panicking idiots might at some point start taking home three family-sized packs of the stuff each, kind of like what they've been doing already for the surface wipes.

The whole surface wipe thing is very annoying BTW. My husband is messy and clumsy and uses them for cleaning up stuff like food spillages all the time. Kitchen roll is a poor substitute.
    Microwave rice?? Why not just buy rice - it's so simple to cook?
    Because sometimes when you get home from work (and this goes double if there's been a trip to the gym as well) then you want something that you can nuke rather than titting around for half-an-hour with a pan of water. Or I do, anyway...

But I do also have a kilo bag of the stuff in the pantry.
    Ok (although 8-10 mins for boiling basmati) but...

In self-isolation you won't be coming home from the gym and you'll have all the time in the world. Thinking about it, stockpile a few recipe books - it'll be something to keep you occupied.
    For reasons I previously described, most people who have jobs to hold down will not be spending fourteen days or more in self-imposed quarantine. Even if our financial positions allow us to take all that time off, the behaviour of our employers is liable to encourage/compel mass presenteeism.

That aside, I'm a terrible book hoarder. I've so many unread volumes knocking about this flat that, if I were forced to stay in, they'd keep me occupied for the rest of the year.
    So you are stockpiling... why exactly?
    I've filled up my pantry just in case of some temporary disruption to food supplies in the event of a mass spike in illness. There have been suggestions that up to a fifth of the entire workforce could be absent sick at some point during this, after all.

I think it's fairly unlikely that I won't be able to buy pretty much everything that I want throughout all of this but, given that there's space in the cupboards for the stuff, it's not expensive and it's all food that we'll eat anyway so none of it will go to waste, there would seem to be absolutely no harm in purchasing it.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

tyson said:

However, if it were that easy to accomplish then two-thirds of the entire adult population of the country would not be overweight or obese...
    It really is easy...I can eat and drink all I want without a worry...but you have to average maybe 20,000 steps a day...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Understandably - sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Maybe keep taking the lisinopril* rather than cutting out wine?

(* Actually I switched to losartan as lisinopril was giving me persistent dry coughs.)
  • Options

Italy's decision to close all schools is surely a bad one. The economy will tank if they keep this up:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/05/really-stressful-italians-struggle-to-cope-with-education-closures

It has the appearance of a deeply foolish knee-jerk, and I would expect the UK Government to avoid closing the schools if at all possible.

Quite beside the fact that the evidence so far suggests that children are the section of the population that's least vulnerable to this disease, if they all get sent home from school then the parents end up having to go home to look after them as well, and that's bound to include an awful lot of people who work in health and social care, and sundry other key sectors. One would've thought that this would almost certainly prove to be counter-productive.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,776

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Anyone heard from @eadric or is he self-isolating from PB in case corvid-19 is transmitted over the internet?

Perhaps he's going round the supermarkets of Essex in an attempt to find panic buying.
    The panic buying over the border in Hertfordshire has already started. Brain dead idiots had completely cleared out the entire supply of floor and surface wipes in Tesco today. The pasta shelves also looked uncommonly empty - this apparently being a favourite amongst panic hoarders - but the tinned food aisle still seemed well-stocked so we're clearly not at the supply chain collapse stage.

Yet.
    Tinned food is the intelligent person's choice of food hoarding - tasty, nutritious and long lasting.

Can you imagine living off cheap pasta for a fortnight ?
    The saving made on the cheap pasta will be quickly offset by expensive and highly calorific shop-bought sauces (unless these people are planning to use it for cooking from scratch, which I strongly suspect that most of them aren't.)

Tinned food is a vastly underappreciated source of delicious and healthy meals. I made particular use of it when I was losing weight with Slimming World: if you make the right choices then there are plenty of options that are very low in Syn value, i.e. not loaded full of fat and sugar. Also, tinned peaches are of the gods.
    I think I need to give tinned peaches another go. As a child I detested them - found them slimy - and never plucked up the courage to give them another go. Best peaches are picked straight from my own espalier peach tree!
    Tinned peaches are certainly softer than fresh fruit; I've never found them slimy, although these things are, of course, a matter of personal taste.

I buy mine canned in juice rather than syrup, drain them thoroughly before serving and top them with fat-free Greek yoghurt, to which I add just a little sweetener (this being a method that I discovered when I was losing weight, because in that case the whole thing has a Syn value of zero and you can eat as much of it as you like.) But they also go very nicely with cream or custard.
    The sweetener is calorie-free I guess? I`ve never heard of Syn value. There would still be a fair few calories in the yoghurt.
    I think the stuff I buy is low rather than zero calorie, but then again the point of the regime I was on was merely to direct ones' food consumption towards choices that were of lower energy density rather than trying to really hammer down on calories as much as possible. Diets that rely on people living off hardly anything aren't sustainable and don't work.

Basically, pasta, potatoes, fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meat, fish, eggs and fat-free dairy products = eat as much as you like. All manner of fatty and sugary stuff = Syns (i.e. penalty points.) As well as sweets, biscuits and cakes, bread and pastry are also very high tariff. The plan also makes some allowances with respect to whether or not certain foods have filling power, but basically it's an easy way to control what you're eating without having to get a calculator out and tot up the calorific and nutritional content of everything, which isn't practical.
    Wow unlimited pasta or potatoes goes quite against many diets nowadays.

I'm currently [temporarily] trying to avoid pasta or potatoes both to lose weight and to think of alternatives that I can use instead that I might keep in the future when I start eating the starchy carbs again.
    Well, if you're looking to reduce the energy content of your diet without ending up living off Ryvita and lettuce then the easiest thing to target is high fat and high sugar snacks and desserts, and alcohol. Getting by without starch staples ain't so smart and easy.

Changes in eating habits are most likely to be sustainable if they involve maintaining a varied diet, whilst cutting down on the things that are at once the most calorific and the most easily done without. The main problem with trying to eat less in the way of stuff like crisps, pastry and chocolate crap and drink less booze is getting out of bad habits: once the habits are broken then it's surprisingly easy to avoid a relapse.
    The thing that worked best for us was cutting out lunch. Switch from carb-based breakfasts to protein-based and you soon don't get hungry in the day.

Lost 4 stone that way and kept it off for 3 years now. It's a permanent change in eating habits though.
    Sounds like a good move, but you may find cutting out breakfast works even better. Intermittent fasting. Great for the body's healing processes. That's what I do. I can barely remember being arsed with breakfast. What is the point of shoving down a horrid sugary cereal and some empty carbs in the form of toast (you are correct a protein based breakfast is better)?
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

It really is easy...I can eat and drink all I want without a worry...but you have to average maybe 20,000 steps a day...
    Most people are sedentary and most of them eat awful diets. Changing those habits is very far from easy, or else most of them would already have done it.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Foxy said:

Not bad so far.
    It's got to be better than last year's BBC attempt, which was rather disappointing.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,087
    edited March 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Are Aldi/ Lidl steaks any good ? I’m too snobby to go in but I might for cheap steak.

Do they do tomahawks ?
    These were a special buy, so only in store for a day or two :-).

I bought one, served it to a friend who remarked on the tenderness and flavour, and went back for more.

My normal steak portion is about 125g, so each is 3 portions or cut horizontally for a sandwich steak.

As good as the ones that come from my traditional butcher imo in this case.

No tomahawk steaks that I have seen.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Foxy said:

Not bad so far.
    It's got to be better than last year's BBC attempt, which was rather disappointing.
    No woke nonsense so far...
  • Options
    eadric said:

Since it became obvious we were potentially facing the biggest, justified health panic since Spanish fu?
    Biggest crisis since Brexit you mean !?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Anyone heard from @eadric or is he self-isolating from PB in case corvid-19 is transmitted over the internet?

Perhaps he's going round the supermarkets of Essex in an attempt to find panic buying.
    The panic buying over the border in Hertfordshire has already started. Brain dead idiots had completely cleared out the entire supply of floor and surface wipes in Tesco today. The pasta shelves also looked uncommonly empty - this apparently being a favourite amongst panic hoarders - but the tinned food aisle still seemed well-stocked so we're clearly not at the supply chain collapse stage.

Yet.
    Tinned food is the intelligent person's choice of food hoarding - tasty, nutritious and long lasting.

The saving made on the cheap pasta will be quickly offset by expensive and highly calorific shop-bought sauces (unless these people are planning to use it for cooking from scratch, which I strongly suspect that most of them aren't.)

Tinned food is a vastly underappreciated source of delicious and healthy meals. I made particular use of it when I was losing weight with Slimming World: if you make the right choices then there are plenty of options that are very low in Syn value, i.e. not loaded full of fat and sugar. Also, tinned peaches are of the gods.
    I think I need to give tinned peaches another go. As a child I detested them - found them slimy - and never plucked up the courage to give them another go. Best peaches are picked straight from my own espalier peach tree!
    Tinned peaches are certainly softer than fresh fruit; I've never found them slimy, although these things are, of course, a matter of personal taste.

I buy mine canned in juice rather than syrup, drain them thoroughly before serving and top them with fat-free Greek yoghurt, to which I add just a little sweetener (this being a method that I discovered when I was losing weight, because in that case the whole thing has a Syn value of zero and you can eat as much of it as you like.) But they also go very nicely with cream or custard.
    The sweetener is calorie-free I guess? I`ve never heard of Syn value. There would still be a fair few calories in the yoghurt.
    I think the stuff I buy is low rather than zero calorie, but then again the point of the regime I was on was merely to direct ones' food consumption towards choices that were of lower energy density rather than trying to really hammer down on calories as much as possible. Diets that rely on people living off hardly anything aren't sustainable and don't work.

Basically, pasta, potatoes, fresh fruit, vegetables, lean meat, fish, eggs and fat-free dairy products = eat as much as you like. All manner of fatty and sugary stuff = Syns (i.e. penalty points.) As well as sweets, biscuits and cakes, bread and pastry are also very high tariff. The plan also makes some allowances with respect to whether or not certain foods have filling power, but basically it's an easy way to control what you're eating without having to get a calculator out and tot up the calorific and nutritional content of everything, which isn't practical.

I'm currently [temporarily] trying to avoid pasta or potatoes both to lose weight and to think of alternatives that I can use instead that I might keep in the future when I start eating the starchy carbs again.
    Well, if you're looking to reduce the energy content of your diet without ending up living off Ryvita and lettuce then the easiest thing to target is high fat and high sugar snacks and desserts, and alcohol. Getting by without starch staples ain't so smart and easy.

Changes in eating habits are most likely to be sustainable if they involve maintaining a varied diet, whilst cutting down on the things that are at once the most calorific and the most easily done without. The main problem with trying to eat less in the way of stuff like crisps, pastry and chocolate crap and drink less booze is getting out of bad habits: once the habits are broken then it's surprisingly easy to avoid a relapse.
    The thing that worked best for us was cutting out lunch. Switch from carb-based breakfasts to protein-based and you soon don't get hungry in the day.

Lost 4 stone that way and kept it off for 3 years now. It's a permanent change in eating habits though.
    Sounds like a good move, but you may find cutting out breakfast works even better. Intermittent fasting. Great for the body's healing processes. That's what I do. I can barely remember being arsed with breakfast. What is the point of shoving down a horrid sugary cereal and some empty carbs in the form of toast (you are correct a protein based breakfast is better)?
    Agreed.

It's idle speculation on my part but it would be interesting to map the rising obesity levels in this country against the growth of sugary cereals to become the nation's default breakfast.
  • Options

tyson said:

That said, meat eating is pretty disgusting...but that is another story.....

I respect your views but beg to differ re meat.

Having said that, of our seven dinners this week, four are vegetarian, two have fish and only one is meat-based. All things in moderation.
    Except vegetables it would seem.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,995

Y'know, that url is available. If you could get a good supply of hand sanitizer and toilet roll...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,087
    edited March 2020

tyson said:

Interestingly I am seeing a lot of people I know losing quite a bit of weight, and several have escaped from diagnoses of Type II diabetes.

For one twenty-something friend it has been costly - having become more sleek he now has a girlfriend with expensive tastes and has started wearing Lacoste. The main thing he did was ditch the large amount of coke he was drinking every day and the junk food.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Y'know, that url is available. If you could get a good supply of hand sanitizer and toilet roll...
    Lol. I think I'd go for PrudentBuying.com. Panic buying is what others do; prudent buying is what I do to make sure I've got enough before the panic buyers start.
  • Options
    tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?
    If you do not mind cruelly consigning animals to a horrible and disease ridden life and death...why not go cheaper??
    You have the wrong idea. An animal consumed for food should have a healthy, well-nourished life. Otherwise it is not going to be a healthy and nourishing foodstuff.
  • Options
    MattW said:

tyson said:

Interestingly I am seeing a lot of people I know losing quite a bit of weight, and several have escaped from diagnoses of Type II diabetes.

For one it has been costly - having become more sleek he now has a girlfriend with expensive tastes and has started wearing Lacoste. The main thing he did was ditch the large amount of coke he was drinking every day and the junk food.
    I never knew you were friends with TSE.
  • Options
    MattW said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

I bought one, served it to a friend who remarked on the tenderness and flavour, and went back for more.

My normal steak portion is about 125g, so each is 3 portions or cut horizontally for a sandwich steak.

Do you not find the meat industry...ie how we dispose of sentient mammals just to feed humans, even slightly concerning?
  • Options

tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?
    You have the wrong idea. An animal consumed for food should have a healthy, well-nourished life. Otherwise it is not going to be a healthy and nourishing foodstuff.
    The important word is should......should......

• Options
    tyson said:

MattW said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

Do you not find the meat industry...ie how we dispose of sentient mammals just to feed humans, even slightly concerning?
    You should see what they do with carrots - leave them covered with dirt for months whilst pouring shit on top.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,449
    tyson said:

MattW said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

That depends what you are asking. If you're actually asking whether eating meat raises at least slight concerns, for me the answer is no, not in the slightest. If you are asking about practices of slaughter I'm sure plenty of meat eaters could accept some slight concerns, in the sense of avoiding unnecessary cruelty etc, but might be wary of answering yes to the latter being taken as yes to the former.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yet.

Agreed.

It's idle speculation on my part but it would be interesting to map the rising obesity levels in this country against the growth of sugary cereals to become the nation's default breakfast.
    Sadly, nutrition is a largely ignored aspect of national health.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Sainsbury's yesterday seemed very short of Coke, of all things.

Well, if they've run out of disinfectant washes, it's the next best thing.
    That was probably me - I drink 2 cans a day (have done most days all my adult life) and periodically stock up! For some reason people find this odd :)

I did notice that things like cheap pasta and long-life milk had disappeared off the shelves - suspect there's some discreet stockpiling going on. I'll confess to buying some cans and some frozen food - I think there's a distinction between massive hoarding (silly and anti-social) and having enough tinned stuff to keep you going for a couple of weeks (sensible).
    What I've been doing for weeks.

Went out and bought £100 of frozen organic meat from the farm butcher today.
    Tinned food, microwave rice, frozen jacket potatoes and chocolate biscuits here. Basically all stuff that I know I'll end up using anyway, just in slightly larger than usual quantities.

Oh, and bog roll. I saw all those weird reports about bog roll stockpiling in Australia, and considered the possibility that panicking idiots might at some point start taking home three family-sized packs of the stuff each, kind of like what they've been doing already for the surface wipes.

The whole surface wipe thing is very annoying BTW. My husband is messy and clumsy and uses them for cleaning up stuff like food spillages all the time. Kitchen roll is a poor substitute.
    Because sometimes when you get home from work (and this goes double if there's been a trip to the gym as well) then you want something that you can nuke rather than titting around for half-an-hour with a pan of water. Or I do, anyway...

Ok (although 8-10 mins for boiling basmati) but...

In self-isolation you won't be coming home from the gym and you'll have all the time in the world. Thinking about it, stockpile a few recipe books - it'll be something to keep you occupied.
    For reasons I previously described, most people who have jobs to hold down will not be spending fourteen days or more in self-imposed quarantine. Even if our financial positions allow us to take all that time off, the behaviour of our employers is liable to encourage/compel mass presenteeism.

That aside, I'm a terrible book hoarder. I've so many unread volumes knocking about this flat that, if I were forced to stay in, they'd keep me occupied for the rest of the year.
    So you are stockpiling... why exactly?
    I've filled up my pantry just in case of some temporary disruption to food supplies in the event of a mass spike in illness. There have been suggestions that up to a fifth of the entire workforce could be absent sick at some point during this, after all.

I think it's fairly unlikely that I won't be able to buy pretty much everything that I want throughout all of this but, given that there's space in the cupboards for the stuff, it's not expensive and it's all food that we'll eat anyway so none of it will go to waste, there would seem to be absolutely no harm in purchasing it.
    The evidence from Wuhan is that there is a temporary hit, and a major hiatus/shortage in stocks and supplies, when the first real wave attacks - many thousands of casualties. After that there is a graduel resumption of much more limited and rationed supplies, but enough for everyone, in moderation.

So stockpiling for two weeks makes sense, and maybe get in some treats to cheer yourself up. Good chocs, wine, caviar, etc
    Chocolate and chocolate biscuits are my treat of choice. No immediate danger of those running out in this household.
    MattW said:

tyson said:

For one twenty-something friend it has been costly - having become more sleek he now has a girlfriend with expensive tastes and has started wearing Lacoste. The main thing he did was ditch the large amount of coke he was drinking every day and the junk food.
    I certainly appreciate the whole clothes thing. I had to throw out virtually my entire wardrobe and start again. But it's certainly nice not to have to buy XL everything and not have to disguise my lumpen form beneath huge baggy shirts and coats anymore.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

That's the issue I have with cheap steaks from Aldi etc. I am sure they taste fine but they will be cheap for a reason.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,067
    Carborama from here till sunday for me, but yes most people don't need as much as they consume.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

That's the issue I have with cheap steaks from Aldi etc. I am sure they taste fine but they will be cheap for a reason.
    Probably slaughtered a year ago in Argentina and been in the deep freeze ever since.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?
    The important word is should......should.....

Yes. Sadly, they often don't. But cutting out animals (substituted for another awful cash crop like soy) is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Know that the animal you eat has had a healthy life and access to great nutrition (eg pasture raised), and that is the nutrition that you're getting from it. It is enlightened self-interest. The same is true of vegetables and cereals. Crops churned out for yield with lots of nitrogen fertiliser, from exhausted soil, are not nourishing for you.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,865
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Foxy said:

Not bad so far.
    No woke nonsense so far...
    With just a handful of people who self-identify as men
    We'll start all over again
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,381

illages all the time. Kitchen roll is a poor substitute.

Agreed. Living on my own, I begrudge time in the kitchen (who am I trying t impress?), and the ability to cook a meal in a few minutes is a decisive advantage.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yet.

Benpointer is bang on.

I cut out lunch about ten years ago, along with all puds/desserts, and made sure I did some exercise every day (gym, or a stiff walk).

Over 3 months I went down from a very hefty near-15 stone to a scientifically healthy 12 stone 10 and have stayed there ever since.

It#s actually quite easy after the first few weeks. Your body readjusts and stops getting hungry. The idea we need "three square meals a day" is bollocks.
    Funny both you and Ben decide lunch would be the meal to get the chop. I think I'd find that difficult.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

Yes. Sadly, they often don't. But cutting out animals (substituted for another awful cash crop like soy) is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Know that the animal you eat has had a healthy life and access to great nutrition (eg pasture raised), and that is the nutrition that you're getting from it. It is enlightened self-interest. The same is true of vegetables and cereals. Crops churned out for yield with lots of nitrogen fertiliser, from exhausted soil, are not nourishing for you.
    Plus, cattle fertilise the soil.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Agreed. Living on my own, I begrudge time in the kitchen (who am I trying t impress?), and the ability to cook a meal in a few minutes is a decisive advantage.

You can get a small plastic pot that steams rice just fine in the microwave, with a little bit of sesame oil.

EDIT: I have no idea what Vanilla is doing. I apologise.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

TGOHF666 said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Do they do tomahawks ?

Plus, cattle fertilise the soil.
    Exactly. Mixed, rotation farming is what we should be doing. Constant arable farming exhausts the soil.
  • Options

eadric said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yet.

Benpointer is bang on.

I cut out lunch about ten years ago, along with all puds/desserts, and made sure I did some exercise every day (gym, or a stiff walk).

Over 3 months I went down from a very hefty near-15 stone to a scientifically healthy 12 stone 10 and have stayed there ever since.

It#s actually quite easy after the first few weeks. Your body readjusts and stops getting hungry. The idea we need "three square meals a day" is bollocks.
    Funny both you and Ben decide lunch would be the meal to get the chop. I think I'd find that difficult.
    Whatever works for you. All I can say is skipping lunch works well for me. Saves time too.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

You can get a small plastic pot that steams rice just fine in the microwave, with a little bit of sesame oil.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,919

eadric said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yet.

Benpointer is bang on.

I gave breakfast the axe. Small snack for lunch, and a very substantial meal for dinner.
  • Options
    I know I going to get a shoeing, but going onto a whole food plant based diet really kickstarted my fitness.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,865
    Cooking rice or pasta requires no more than a minute in the kitchen. It isn't something that needs constant supervision.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yet.

Benpointer is bang on.

I gave breakfast the axe. Small snack for lunch, and a very substantial meal for dinner.
    And I'm more of a little-but-often eater, with the caveat that dinner tends to be something a bit more substantial. I see no need for going without. But I guess it just goes to show that different things work for everyone.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

Understandably - sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Maybe keep taking the lisinopril* rather than cutting out wine?

(* Actually I switched to losartan as lisinopril was giving me persistent dry coughs.)
    The Angiotensin system in the lungs is intimately involved in control of blood pressure, hence the value of these drugs and why 'prils cause a cough in many. I am on lisinopril.

Interestingly, the ACE2 inhibitor is the entry site to cells in COVID19, so may be part of that pathology too. Quite what it all means and whether these medications are helpful or harmful is not yet clear.

• Options

I know I going to get a shoeing, but going onto a whole food plant based diet really kickstarted my fitness.

Yes, I can see that in myself, though not quite vegan this Lent, I am fairly close. I have some milk and a little cheese, not much fish but do take cod liver oil for my joints.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    My panic buying so far a is a sack of wholemeal bread flour from an actual windmill, tins of beans and pulses and a boat load of spices from a Chinese supermarket. And bog rolls. Lots of bog rolls.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,328

"displayed Islamophobia or made anti-Islam or anti-Muslim comments."

There's a lot of heavy lifting going on there with the word 'or'.
    That's a pathetic definition!

As an atheist along the lines of Dawkins I'm quite happy to be anti-religion whether that be anti-Christianity or anti-Islam. But I'm not happy for anyone to discriminate based upon religion.

Does that make me Islamophobic? That's pathetically meaningless if so.
    Good post. I have often wondered about this usage too. I suppose I am theophobic insofar as I’m rather scared of all religions.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942
    slade said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

As someone who voted remain but now supports leave, and am in the highest risk group, I believe coronavirus is serious but people need to take sensible precautions and follow advice.

In my case my wife and I may defer our Canada trip from May to September but we are leaving that decision to the last minute

That's going to be a tough call Big_G.

We have a trip to NY on QM2 booked for early May. We definitely plan to go unless Cunard cancel or the FO advise against but I am slightly worried we may end up with a 7 day crossing followed by two weeks in quarantine in NY harbour.

Edit: Cunard have written to us and told us to take two weeks spare meds just in case lol!
    By May you’ll probably have more problems trying to return anywhere from the US.
    Lol!

I am thinking a happy outcome for us might be 7 nights of full board luxury across the Atlantic, a couple of days of being refused entry to the US en mass, then 7 days luxury cruising back to Southampton followed by a full refund from Cunard.

Somehow I don't think it's going to work out that way though. :lol:
    Cunard are already being very careful, cancelling stops on their cruises and screening everyone before boarding. At the least you can expect things to take longer than usual.

I wish you a pleasant crossing. Don’t miss the planetarium, the library, and the commodore club. If you end up in the lower dining room give my regards to Frederic.
    Sibelius 1 is better than Sibelius 3 IMO.

But does it count as underrated ?

For a genuinely underrated, indeed almost unknown, piece then try Alnaes 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt1BbDQqsjk
    Thanks for that. The Norwegian Elgar?
    After listening to his piano concerto it challenges Rachmaninov. However it falls short because it does not have the memorable memories of Rach. ( and indeed Elgar).
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    eadric said:

Look at this list of coronavirus cases in Europe one week ago

Italy 650
    Germany 48
    France 38
    Spain 25
    United Kingdom 16
    Switzerland 8
    Sweden 7
    Norway7
    Austria 3
    Croatia 3
    Greece 3
    Finland 2
    Netherlands 1
    San Marino 1
    Romania 1
    Denmark 1
    Estonia 1
    Lithuania 1
    Macedonia 1
    Belgium1

And compares with today, one week later:

1. Italy 3,858
    2. Germany 545
    3. France 423
    4. Spain 282
    5. United Kingdom 118
    6. Switzerland 118
    7. Sweden 94
    8. Norway 91
    9. Netherlands 82
    10. Belgium 50
    11. Austria 43
    12. Greece 31
    13. Denmark 20
    14. Ireland 13
    15. Czechia 12.....

And so on.

In each country the case numbers have gone up by ten or twelve times, in one week. The samepattern everywhere.

If that continues for another two weeks, we would see:

1.Italy: 400,000
    2. Germany: 50,000
    3. France: 40,000
    4. Spain: 30,000
    5. UK: 10,000

In two weeks from now. Italy would - as an example - have 80,000 people needing hospital care, and about 20,000 dead. In two weeks.

Yeah but lots of people die falling off ladders every year.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,118
    eadric said:

Since it became obvious we were potentially facing the biggest, justified health panic since Spanish fu?
    Worse than 1957 or 1968? Not on the evidence or the projections I have seen so far.

Both the flu epidemics in those years killed 80,000 each in Britain.
This discussion has been closed.