Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bloomberg becomes the first of the elderly septuagenarians to

Comments

• AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Bernie Sanders’ eclipse is good news for some people:

https://twitter.com/thestalwart/status/1235307319979888640?s=21
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342

DavidL said:

Ok so Flybe flights are a gonner. Which airline do I buy my replacement tickets with? What airlines are still likely to be flying in mid June?

Edit and what are the odds on UCL cancelling their June open day?

Where are you flying to (and from)?
    Edinburgh to City (at the moment)
  • Glasgow Airport seem to have impounded some Flybe planes. Eeek.

https://twitter.com/ConnorGillies/status/1235313173571526660
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Overround.

Chips with more chips is a bargain at £2.40
    Yes, you'd want to order 2 cod without chips plus chips with extra chips, instead of 2 cod and chips.
    Bravo!
    Yes, but if you order chips with chips.... how do you tell they haven’t short changed you on the chips ?
    Yes, you’d better order at least one fish with chips, to get a basis for the portion size.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164
    Floater said:

Floater said:

As I watch case after case of people infected after visiting Italy this beggars belief

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/18269699.italy-trip-go-ahead-despite-coronavirus/

TODAY they were still saying they intend to go.

It should be up to the Foreign Office to advise if they should go or not. They are just advising to avoid the 10 small towns.
    Let me share just a few recent occurrences

1 new case in Romania. Patient recently returned from Italy. (Source)

32 new cases in the United Kingdom. Twenty-nine patients have recently traveled from countries with outbreaks of coronavirus. Three other patients contracted the virus in the UK. (Source) ( a bunch from Italy)

10 new cases in Belgium. Nine of the new patients recently returned from Italy.

1 new case in Portugal. Patient recently traveled from Italy. (

2 new cases in Iceland. Both patients recently traveled from Italy. (

2 new cases in Sweden. One traveled from Iran and the other from Italy.

All of these are from just TODAY

Still think its ok?

I have no idea if its ok. I doubt anyone really does including yourself. There are too many unknowns. The people best placed to make the decisions are the government and it should be communicated via the Foreign Office travel advice system that has worked for decades.
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2020

I wasn't being rude to you. I actually thought I was agreeing with you as it sounded like you'd foresaw Sanders plan was doomed. You never even said what I was saying. It's Sanders and his supporters who were delusional enough to think he was winning a Youthquake. I never thought you were saying that, in fact I don't recall speaking to you much since the election and kudos to you for coming back.
    Ah no worries, my apologies then.

Glasgow Airport seem to have impounded some Flybe planes. Eeek.

Be an interesting court case for someone tomorrow.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ok so Flybe flights are a gonner. Which airline do I buy my replacement tickets with? What airlines are still likely to be flying in mid June?

Train it. Edinburgh to King's X on the East Coast Mainline, wonderful views.

Then taxi it.
  • I apologised above

Texan covid-19 advice:

Sent that to my daughter who works at a hospital in Dundee. Its as vivid as I have seen, a big step up on happy birthday.
  • Goddamnit Leicester.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    Pro_Rata said:

A few Coronavirus thoughts and learning for the last couple of days:

5. We really should not be thinking of nations as having the virus, rather putting specific rings on maps for areas with local transmission, areas at high risk of local transmission, and other areas - the WHO template agreed yesterday with Italy was a good step.

Yes, we have to think in natural epidemiological units, not geopolitical lines. It is precisely for this reason that - despite their political differences - Israeli, Palestinian and Jordanian public health officials work together on infectious disease response, as they all form part of the same epidemiological unit for most human and animal communicable diseases.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I thought usually they were de facto grounded anyway because nobody would give them credit for fuel, but praps on those short routes they carry more than one journey's worth.
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

https://news.yahoo.com/crisis-yale-professor-said-u-143223472.html

"It is well within the realm of possibility that there are 100,000 people infected with this right now in the United States," Forman said. "Healthcare providers may be being exposed, other patients may be being exposed, and until you can give confidence to people about those answers, we are in a crisis here."

"It wouldn't surprise me if we were to learn that most major hospitals have coronavirus patients in them right now," he said.
    in
    Forman said in a tweet on Sunday that the number of confirmed cases in the US would "explode" in the coming days as existing cases are documented.

Quick reminder to America, if you healthcare providers are all sick, there is no one left to care. Mortality up.

If America has 100,000 cases NOW, that probably means millions of Americans are going to die, whatever they do from this moment on.
    What we were saying about the unreliability and partiality of the Chinese data, we will soon be saying about the US.

But there is no evidence that millions will die.
    We will never know the answer, because we will never know if that doctor is right, because America is such a shambles on this issue.

BUT mathematically I am right.

100,000 cases is huge. And this thing grows exponentially, doubling every 2-3 days in Europe (which has better healthcare). On that basis 100,000 cases becomes 51 million cases within about three weeks. = a million dead on a CFR of 2%

Exponential maths is scary

But not necessarily appropriate as SK is now showing (as I predicted). Even starting a way behind it is possible to catch up, contain, isolate and treat if you make a big enough effort. The worry in the US is that the muppet in charge seems reluctant to recognise the need for such an effort. And muppet 2 thinks the answer is a prayer.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,390
    IshmaelZ said:

I thought usually they were de facto grounded anyway because nobody would give them credit for fuel, but praps on those short routes they carry more than one journey's worth.

https://twitter.com/HollyHNews/status/1235301789207015425

https://twitter.com/HollyHNews/status/1235305409965182977
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited March 2020
    Doubling rate seems to be 5-6 days. Not 2-3. It is possible to somewhat catch up to this, but let it fester for too long and it'll double quicker than you can test. If you have 100,000 cases, and say a 10% successful test rate (accounting for a relatively low overall rate of infection), you need to be testing 130,000 people a day in order to keep the number of undetected cases static.

If the US is at 200,000 by the end of next week they'd need to be doing near enough 2,000,000 tests a week to start making ground against the virus. Considering that they're saying that they'll be able to do 1,000,000 by the end of the month (and that looks very optimistic/ an outright lie), I can't see the SK approach working in the USA.
  • IshmaelZ said:

They've pulled flights at Manchester that were taxiing down the runway, so it isn't a lack of fuel.

Good to see that the website was still linking through Skyscanner a few minutes ago, to take money for flights that will never operate.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    DavidL said:

Catch the sleeper instead. 73 to Waverley for a 92 forward. What's not to like?

Plus a reduced carbon impact.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Latest spain figures 228 majority in madrid can’t remember the opening figure but it still looks like 90% are directly related to travel the majority of which originated in
    Italy. 3 cases in school children but not serious around 10% needing ICU care and 25% hospitalization.

DavidL said:

Really takes too long. I prefer the train but we have a prize giving in Dundee in the morning and need to be in London for a sharp start the next morning. Flying is all that works (although I prefer trains).
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,536
    Anything that grows at a constant rate grows "exponentially". And nothing in nature grows without limit that we know of.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    DavidL said:

Contractual lien for unpaid landing charges.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,601
    edited March 2020

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Then taxi it.
    I would walk UCL's portico is about a 10min walk from KX. You'll spend longer waiting for the lights up Euston road and at the station.
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

"It is well within the realm of possibility that there are 100,000 people infected with this right now in the United States," Forman said. "Healthcare providers may be being exposed, other patients may be being exposed, and until you can give confidence to people about those answers, we are in a crisis here."

"It wouldn't surprise me if we were to learn that most major hospitals have coronavirus patients in them right now," he said.
    in
    Forman said in a tweet on Sunday that the number of confirmed cases in the US would "explode" in the coming days as existing cases are documented.

Quick reminder to America, if you healthcare providers are all sick, there is no one left to care. Mortality up.

If America has 100,000 cases NOW, that probably means millions of Americans are going to die, whatever they do from this moment on.
    What we were saying about the unreliability and partiality of the Chinese data, we will soon be saying about the US.

We will never know the answer, because we will never know if that doctor is right, because America is such a shambles on this issue.

100,000 cases is huge. And this thing grows exponentially, doubling every 2-3 days in Europe (which has better healthcare). On that basis 100,000 cases becomes 51 million cases within about three weeks. = a million dead on a CFR of 2%

You are not even right on the maths, since exponential growth clearly can’t go on for ever in a finite system (and hence why roulette tables have a maximum allowable bet). It will slow down at some point, and neither you nor your sidekick on the numbers have given any thought to that part of the equation.

I assure you that we will know whether millions have died in the US, or not. They may not release the numbers as they go along, but this is not the famine in the Ukraine; the US is an open society where almost everything comes out in the end.
    Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

'Admin' as in 'Administrators'.
    matt said:

DavidL said:

Probably leased planes though. Lots of interesting issues for fees to be earned on.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Really takes too long. I prefer the train but we have a prize giving in Dundee in the morning and need to be in London for a sharp start the next morning. Flying is all that works (although I prefer trains).
    If you catch the Lowlander from Edinburgh rather than the Highlander from Dundee then I think this gets into Euston by 07.30
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:
    I clicked on that in the hope that it was news about a forthcoming vaccine, or a sudden slide in cases....

Oh well.
    Spoke to my friend again today

CDC close to releasing his validated Dx. He has capacity to produce 100k tests a week from Long Island. He already has a vaccine in Phase 1 human trials in Shanghai

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

'Admin' as in 'Administrators'.
    As in not getting clearance to take off.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

matt said:

DavidL said:

Probably leased planes though. Lots of interesting issues for fees to be earned on.
    Liens attach to the aircraft. Eurocontrol has a fleet lien. There will be few fees for lawyers (genuinely). Default notice, negotiate with administrators, hand over cash, ferry.
    geoffw said:

Anything that grows at a constant rate grows "exponentially". And nothing in nature grows without limit that we know of.

Even information cannot grow exponentially for ever.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

1. Thanks @NickPalmer for the Vox article yesterday. Main take aways - the Chinese numbers are thought broadly credible and, one they got in gear, contact tracing was their best weapon. Happily something the UK seems to bed doing well, fingers crossed.

2. The Italian numbers for their local outbreak are broadly in line with Chinese numbers for a bigger area. Having looked at lots of charts, it suggests to me that we are 5-12 days from the peak death rate of the Lodi centred epidemic and it has run 15-25% of its course.

3. I'm not clear how Italy is reporting case by province. Exponenting case numbers exist beyond the current or proposed extension of the red zone - I don't know, in Milan's figures, for example, whether they are (a) reporting case numbers from red zone patients who are in Milanese hospitals (b) seeing cases of Milanese who have had contact with the Lodigiani &c, or (c) there is now local transmission in areas of Milan. Obviously this has great bearing on the likely course of the outbreak beyond the Lodi core.

4. Kids look, not only to not get that ill, but to barely contract the virus when in contact. Even if things are bad, closing all schools across Italy, over the heads of the Civil Protection experts, seems like a misstep.

5. We really should not be thinking of nations as having the virus, rather putting specific rings on maps for areas with local transmission, areas at high risk of local transmission, and other areas - the WHO template agreed yesterday with Italy was a good step.

Children may not be able to catch it but their minders, support staff and grand support staff certainly do. Schools must a superb way of amplifying infection rates in a community.
    I agree with that - but in that respect a school is not that much of a special case compared with any other workplace. I'd have understood closing schools across the orange zone (about 1/3 of Italy, 20 million population in total) but across the South where there are few cases? This is what I mean when I say national borders are the wrong geography - specifying zones then redrawing diligently as soon as new facts emerge is better. And it sounds like the expert advice concurred.
    Closing schools has a potentially massive effect both on healthcare - health workers have children that suddenly need looking after - and the economy. It surely should be avoided if at all possible.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

You are not even right on the maths, since exponential growth clearly can’t go on for ever in a finite system (and hence why roulette tables have a maximum allowable bet). It will slow down at some point, and neither you nor your sidekick on the numbers have given any thought to that part of the equation.

I assure you that we will know whether millions have died in the US, or not. They may not release the numbers as they go along, but this is not the famine in the Ukraine; the US is an open society where almost everything comes out in the end.
    Obviously it'll slow down at some point. However the point where the virus is slowing it's spread because it's running out of people makes it all a bit irrelevant. If 30% of the population is infected then obviously the R0 will drop and progression will slow. However then we have 3% of the population needing ICU care.

Yes, the US Govt doesn't have the control to do a massive coverup.
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,854
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

BA and Virgin both operate the EDI-LCY route, but I find the flight times poor for work purposes - I normally fly into Stansted on Easyjet or Gatwick on BA, then get in on the train.
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Overround.

Chips with more chips is a bargain at £2.40
    Yes, you'd want to order 2 cod without chips plus chips with extra chips, instead of 2 cod and chips.
    I think that is that is literally PB comment of the decade.
    Indeed. The only question is whether it is funnier if you know the context, or if you don't.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    Scott_xP said:
    You know, I could see myself bursting with fury at civil servants at the Home Office. But DfID? That's a much more sedate place concerned with funding (or not funding) projects. It suggests that Ms Patel might want to take some management training courses.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

Exponentials never happen in the real world. Something always intervenes.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    You know, I could see myself bursting with fury at civil servants at the Home Office. But DfID? That's a much more sedate place concerned with funding (or not funding) projects. It suggests that Ms Patel might want to take some management training courses.
    Would that be anger management management courses.
  • rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    As go on them , not conduct them !!!!!
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Anger management.
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I'm sorry but the US being second makes that table entirely without credibility. I would have them somewhere in the mid 140s.
    It was done months back. The US was prepared but did SFA when the time came.
    Ah, right. Ready on paper. In fairness so far the NHS has walked the walk but Singapore (who may have a climate advantage) must surely get the gold star.
    This actually highlights an interesting flaw in the assessment, which overlooks the cultural and system impediments to effective deployment.

From a technical perspective, the US ticks all the boxes - medical expertise, equipment, technology, ability to detect, resources to mobilise rapidly, etc.

It’s just that - leaving aside the moron who happens to be in charge - many human and cultural factors prevented the US from responding. Such as cultural hostility to government intervention, isolationism and a tendency to think the worlds problems can’t reach America, a health system set up for competition not co-operation, minimal free healthcare creating disincentives for people to get tested, lack of sick pay discouraging people from self isolation.
    And yet we are talking about the country whose logistical genius won WW2. The achievements were endless.

They won the battle of the Atlantic by building ships faster than the German U boats could sink them. One of my favourites is the Germans, who had been living on rats, in Monte Casino, who in a counter attack took some US trenches and found fresh cream cakes from Chicago. They surrendered.

What the hell has happened?
    I’m reading Gen Marshall’s biography. He was a rare genius.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    TimT said:

geoffw said:

Ah, but e^x grows exponentially.
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

No, you don't understand. We will never know whether there are 100,000 cases in America RIGHT NOW, because the doctor is speculating (as he admits)

I sincerely hope he is wrong.

If 100,000 is the upper end, what’s the lower credible figure. Say 1,000. On the basis that (strangely, if you ask me) countries seem to be finding surprisingly many people infected who have travelled in Italy and surprisingly few at home.

The end state in the former case will be very different from the latter case. And therefore we’ll know at some point, by reverse deduction.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

If you catch the Lowlander from Edinburgh rather than the Highlander from Dundee then I think this gets into Euston by 07.30
    Don't expect to sleep much though (sadly)
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Exactly how many bits of information is e^x? Now listing out all the data points for that equation into infinity for x - not possible, doesn't exist.
  • geoffw said:

You've never upset a woman have you?

Her anger grows exponentially, without limit, even if you apologise.
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

But not necessarily appropriate as SK is now showing (as I predicted). Even starting a way behind it is possible to catch up, contain, isolate and treat if you make a big enough effort. The worry in the US is that the muppet in charge seems reluctant to recognise the need for such an effort. And muppet 2 thinks the answer is a prayer.
    I hadn't noticed today's slowdown in South Korea. Hurray. But it is too soon to be truly confident. There was a slowdown two days ago, then it jumped again

Its far too soon for there to be a slow down and they still have a backlog but exponential growth has stopped. I suspect we will see new cases in the low hundreds for a few days yet as they process the backlog and then a more substantial drop off.

One of the things that is interesting about this is that so many virologists are very good at producing mathematical models of the disease but apparently very poor in interpreting the capacity restraints/ inclination to test. The link between new cases and actual spread is nowhere near as casual as they and their models assume.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's the most gammon-triggering Department in Whitehall, just by virtue of existing. Why are we sending money to India when it has its own space program? is a question often posed by Guidoites.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,128

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Then taxi it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    She probably got slightly peeved when a civil servant raised an eyebrow to Priti's idea of donating the overseas aid budget to the Israeli military.

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

They do, but for only limited ranges.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    In a probably forlorn hope to drag this back to back to the topic of US Democrat Primary.

Tulsi Gabbard, will again be in the next US Democrat Debate. she has won 2 delights from American Samoa. which is the criteria they are using.

One of at max 4 candidates, on the stage.

She is my preferred candidate, but I very much doubt it will help.

but probably a remote chance if Biden really puts his foot in it or gets COV19.

I don't know her odds probably very long! but possibly worth a few people on here punting a bit down to cover all eventuality.
    DavidL said:

matt said:

DavidL said:

I have on my shelves The Scottish Students' Songbook of 1891 which includes a ditty entitled "Give a Fee (a song for young Advocates)".
    Do you know it?

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Don't expect to sleep much though (sadly)
    Yeah we are not doing that with a teenage son and then running around London all day.

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

Even if they do - money in a bank at 1% interest compounded annually is growing exponentially, so it's not always as exciting as it sounds.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

matt said:

DavidL said:

I thought FlyBe owned their planes but it turns out they lease about half of them from an American company.
    Real world exponential: Radioactive decay.

(Nobody said it had to be an exponential increase!)
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Obviously it'll slow down at some point. However the point where the virus is slowing it's spread because it's running out of people makes it all a bit irrelevant. If 30% of the population is infected then obviously the R0 will drop and progression will slow.

R0 is the "basic reproduction number". It can (and does) change both over space and time for a whole bunch of reasons, but not the one you propose, since by definition it tells you on average how many people an infectious individual will infect in a population that's totally susceptible.

What you're talking about is the change in the net reproduction number, Rn, which takes into account the fact that not all of the population is susceptible (particularly once the epidemic has grown).

The formula is Rn equals R0 times s, where s is the proportion of the population that are susceptible.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,106

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

1. Thanks @NickPalmer for the Vox article yesterday. Main take aways - the Chinese numbers are thought broadly credible and, one they got in gear, contact tracing was their best weapon. Happily something the UK seems to bed doing well, fingers crossed.

2. The Italian numbers for their local outbreak are broadly in line with Chinese numbers for a bigger area. Having looked at lots of charts, it suggests to me that we are 5-12 days from the peak death rate of the Lodi centred epidemic and it has run 15-25% of its course.

3. I'm not clear how Italy is reporting case by province. Exponenting case numbers exist beyond the current or proposed extension of the red zone - I don't know, in Milan's figures, for example, whether they are (a) reporting case numbers from red zone patients who are in Milanese hospitals (b) seeing cases of Milanese who have had contact with the Lodigiani &c, or (c) there is now local transmission in areas of Milan. Obviously this has great bearing on the likely course of the outbreak beyond the Lodi core.

4. Kids look, not only to not get that ill, but to barely contract the virus when in contact. Even if things are bad, closing all schools across Italy, over the heads of the Civil Protection experts, seems like a misstep.

Children may not be able to catch it but their minders, support staff and grand support staff certainly do. Schools must a superb way of amplifying infection rates in a community.
    I agree with that - but in that respect a school is not that much of a special case compared with any other workplace. I'd have understood closing schools across the orange zone (about 1/3 of Italy, 20 million population in total) but across the South where there are few cases? This is what I mean when I say national borders are the wrong geography - specifying zones then redrawing diligently as soon as new facts emerge is better. And it sounds like the expert advice concurred.
    Closing schools has a potentially massive effect both on healthcare - health workers have children that suddenly need looking after - and the economy. It surely should be avoided if at all possible.
    It's the single, most effective method to slow down the disease...children are such grubby little disease spreading (admittedly adorable) monkeys....
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

I think the argument is quite powerful.

We have been living through a period of exponential technological change. From the industrial revolution 200 years ago, we have advanced to very powerful computers, genetic engineering, AI, robotics, and so on.

Exponentials never continue for ever, so something must intervene to bring our exponential growth to a stop.

Our civilisation must end. Maybe not this year, or the next 50 years, but it won't be here in 5,000 years.

Because exponentials only exist for limited ranges, as you say.
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

Yes but you've missed the point of my earlier post.
    geoffw said:

DavidL said:

matt said:

DavidL said:

I have on my shelves The Scottish Students' Songbook of 1891 which includes a ditty entitled "Give a Fee (a song for young Advocates)".
    Do you know it?

No never heard of it. Some things haven't changed much though.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    She went in with a mission to shake up Dfid. I suspect they didn’t like their comfortable certainties being challenged
    tyson said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

It's the single, most effective method to slow down the disease...children are such grubby little disease spreading (admittedly adorable) monkeys....
    I agree. The jump between kids don't get sick from this to kids don't carry or spread this is a remarkable one to take. In China the family was the absolute number one source of infection.
  • Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    She went in with a mission to shake up Dfid. I suspect they didn’t like their comfortable certainties being challenged
    Perhaps they didn't like her being a national security risk running her own foreign policy?

You know the reason she had to resign in disgrace.
    eadric said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

Pandemics are surely a classic example of exponential growth in the real world

eg the Black Death.

I am right now reading a very good history of it, this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Mortality-Intimate-History-Devastating-ebook/dp/B008O8JWZY/ref=pd_vtp_351_5/257-0358485-4505117?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008O8JWZY&pd_rd_r=aa0b6a55-64ee-493e-bdcb-cf6ae524c41e&pd_rd_w=hxVts&pd_rd_wg=7rPCn&pf_rd_p=78dd719b-ab64-47e6-8dc1-945f566666b3&pf_rd_r=331S1WNKBW7RTMJ764MN&psc=1&refRID=331S1WNKBW7RTMJ764MN

It started with some coughing peasant in, uh, China (or close), then within about 10 years it had infected maybe 30-40% of the world. That's quite exponential

Yes, but at some point they cease to grow exponentially - it doesn't go on forever. Living systems exist within tight physical constraints which introduce non-linearity at some point.
    eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:
    I clicked on that in the hope that it was news about a forthcoming vaccine, or a sudden slide in cases....

Oh well.

CDC close to releasing his validated Dx. He has capacity to produce 100k tests a week from Long Island. He already has a vaccine in Phase 1 human trials in Shanghai
    How long til it is usable??
    The vaccine? He says a few months. His wife (who tends to be more realistic) says 12-18m

But this is something that should be completely safe so in theory you could take the polio approach
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

geoffw said:

Oh she has a limit. And she knows where it is. She just doesn’t want you to know.

:)
    BigRich said:

In a probably forlorn hope to drag this back to back to the topic of US Democrat Primary.

Tulsi Gabbard, will again be in the next US Democrat Debate. she has won 2 delights from American Samoa. which is the criteria they are using.

One of at max 4 candidates, on the stage.

She is my preferred candidate, but I very much doubt it will help.

but probably a remote chance if Biden really puts his foot in it or gets COV19.

I don't know her odds probably very long! but possibly worth a few people on here punting a bit down to cover all eventuality.

I know you are dyslexic, but I do love your typos...

Delegates = delights 😆
    geoffw said:

DavidL said:

matt said:

DavidL said:

Do you know it?

O listen of Scotch and Civil Law Doctors all,
    Solicitors, Agents, Accountants, to me;
    O listen, of strifes and of lawsuit concoctors all,
    And give to a poor starving lawyer a fee,

Give a fee,
    Give a fee,
    Give a fee!
    O give to a poor starving lawyer a fee.

The soldier and sailor they dash on and splash on,
    And, sure of their pay, scour the land and the sea-,
    But we peak and pine here, and long, long years pass on,
    Before our eyes blink at our first guinea fee.

Give a fee, etc.

The Church is an Eden of violets and roses,
    The Bishop its Adam, from drudgery free;
    The big burly priest on his soft down reposes,
    While we must still fag on, and cry, “Give a fee!”

Give a fee, etc.

The quack he sells wholesale his pills universal,
    And straight waxes richer than sagest M. D.-,
    But we still must con o’er the same dull rehearsal,
    And leave one or two old stagers to pocket the fee.

Give a fee, etc.

Here sit I, all frozen; my youth’s glowing visions.
    See-saw like a Chinese joss or a Turkish Cadi;
    I seek for no learning beyond the decisions,
    And my soul’s proud ideal is a bright guinea fee.
    Give a fee, Give a fee!

O force me no longer to cry, “Give a fee’.’

The sheet music is available at http://archive.org/details/scottishstudents00scot_0/page/32/

No, because there are only a finite number N of atoms in your sample. And there comes a time when they have all decayed.

Or, with the longest halflifes, there comes a time when the atoms are roasted again in the cosmic pressure cookers.
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

eg the Black Death.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Mortality-Intimate-History-Devastating-ebook/dp/B008O8JWZY/ref=pd_vtp_351_5/257-0358485-4505117?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008O8JWZY&pd_rd_r=aa0b6a55-64ee-493e-bdcb-cf6ae524c41e&pd_rd_w=hxVts&pd_rd_wg=7rPCn&pf_rd_p=78dd719b-ab64-47e6-8dc1-945f566666b3&pf_rd_r=331S1WNKBW7RTMJ764MN&psc=1&refRID=331S1WNKBW7RTMJ764MN

It started with some coughing peasant in, uh, China (or close), then within about 10 years it had infected maybe 30-40% of the world. That's quite exponential

So you are sitting on this creepy island surrounded by boxes of latex gloves whilst reading a history of the Black Death after a lunchtime on the booze- and you want us to believe that your mental state is objective and rational?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,190
    Scott_xP said:

These are the same people currently in charge of managing a pandemic...

https://twitter.com/pkelso/status/1235279751411097601

It's a salutary lesson in throwing good money after bad.

Let it go.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It’s senseless to fly that route. The train is nicer and takes the same time once you have faffed around.
    DavidL said:

tyson said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

I agree. The jump between kids don't get sick from this to kids don't carry or spread this is a remarkable one to take. In China the family was the absolute number one source of infection.
    Human beings who are obsessed with Thomas the tank engine...and who constantly like to stick their fingers in their mouths and are adverse to soap...those human beings, you need to isolate from each other...
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    There's never a good excuse for bullying, if that's what it's proven to be.

People in positions of authority in the workplace can seriously damage the health of their subordinates - I suspect we've all seen it happen. Fortunately these days it is less tolerated.
    eadric said:

TimT said:

eadric said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

in

eg the Black Death.

Yes, but at some point they cease to grow exponentially - it doesn't go on forever. Living systems exist within tight physical constraints which introduce non-linearity at some point.
    Uh, yeah. I am aware that they must run out.

For diseases, they run out of people to infect, the corridors of infection are closed, they mutate into less aggressive forms, they encounter immunity, it's not in the genetic interest of the virus to kill all possible hosts.

I have read my Dawkins, thankyou.
    Or, more simply, people change their behaviour, and the exponential growth is halted.

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Perhaps they didn't like her being a national security risk running her own foreign policy?

You know the reason she had to resign in disgrace.
    That to. But DfID is useless
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,534
    On the stock market: our assumption here is that the money is dumb and in denial.

Just to test the counter view, is there a possibility the money is right? WHO say China slowdown in cases is real. One assumes the same is true in Singapore and Vietnam. Could it be that while this is going to be a nasty shock, it’s not as apocalyptically bad as everyone here fears?

[removes party trousers and puts back on the brown slacks]
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Then taxi it.
    It’s a short walk. No need for a cab.

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

matt said:

DavidL said:

Do you know it?

O listen of Scotch and Civil Law Doctors all,
    Solicitors, Agents, Accountants, to me;
    O listen, of strifes and of lawsuit concoctors all,
    And give to a poor starving lawyer a fee,

Give a fee,
    Give a fee,
    Give a fee!
    O give to a poor starving lawyer a fee.

The soldier and sailor they dash on and splash on,
    And, sure of their pay, scour the land and the sea-,
    But we peak and pine here, and long, long years pass on,
    Before our eyes blink at our first guinea fee.

Give a fee, etc.

The Church is an Eden of violets and roses,
    The Bishop its Adam, from drudgery free;
    The big burly priest on his soft down reposes,
    While we must still fag on, and cry, “Give a fee!”

Give a fee, etc.

The quack he sells wholesale his pills universal,
    And straight waxes richer than sagest M. D.-,
    But we still must con o’er the same dull rehearsal,
    And leave one or two old stagers to pocket the fee.

Give a fee, etc.

Here sit I, all frozen; my youth’s glowing visions.
    See-saw like a Chinese joss or a Turkish Cadi;
    I seek for no learning beyond the decisions,
    And my soul’s proud ideal is a bright guinea fee.
    Give a fee, Give a fee!

O force me no longer to cry, “Give a fee’.’

The sheet music is available at http://archive.org/details/scottishstudents00scot_0/page/32/
    Excellent, thank you.

Even then, though, once you get near the end of it, you have to stop modelling it as a smooth exponential decay and start using a discretised stochastic model for the last few decays. And once that last one has popped, then there's decay no more, of exponential or any other kind...
    I've finally found something that unites the nation - Remainers and Leavers - alike.

Fish and chips.

Isn't that wonderful?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

Oh she has a limit. And she knows where it is. She just doesn’t want you to know.

:)
    You have to account for TSE‘s particular perspective on this, though....
    I'm so tempted to pull £4k out of my ISA to superscoop another £100 from Hillary.
    eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

Charles said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

Oh well.

How long til it is usable??
    The vaccine? He says a few months. His wife (who tends to be more realistic) says 12-18m

But this is something that should be completely safe so in theory you could take the polio approach
    Quite an important difference. If it's a few months then it will be available for use in the northern hemisphere this autumn

Spanish flu teaches us that the SECOND wave can be savage, and worse

If it's 12-18 months it's too late
    No vaccine is too late.....and we need to take any measure to reduce the spread of this disease...I think we'll be closing schools this time in a fortnight...Question...why do we have to wait a fortnight??

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

People in positions of authority in the workplace can seriously damage the health of their subordinates - I suspect we've all seen it happen. Fortunately these days it is less tolerated.
    The problem is the definition of bullying is unclear. I really don’t like all these snonoymous accusations
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    So FlyBeGone....

That is sad. Not sure how Exeter airport survives.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118

I've finally found something that unites the nation - Remainers and Leavers - alike.

Fish and chips.

Isn't that wonderful?

Thank God for Italian immigrants!

Fish and chips.

Isn't that wonderful?

Wait til Brexit puts the price of cod and haddock through the roof

Fish and chips.

Isn't that wonderful?

Except the weird English predilection for Cod instead of the vastly superior haddock.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164
    moonshine said:

On the stock market: our assumption here is that the money is dumb and in denial.

Just to test the counter view, is there a possibility the money is right? WHO say China slowdown in cases is real. One assumes the same is true in Singapore and Vietnam. Could it be that while this is going to be a nasty shock, it’s not as apocalyptically bad as everyone here fears?

How much damage has already been done?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    moonshine said:

I liked your party trousers better.
  • So FlyBeGone....

That is sad. Not sure how Exeter airport survives.

Exeter has an airport?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Charles said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

The problem is the definition of bullying is unclear. I really don’t like all these snonoymous accusations
    Do you think there might be good reasons why such allegations, indeed whistleblowing allegations generally, might be made anonymously?
This discussion has been closed.