Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Super Tuesday: With just over four hours to go before the coun

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    eadric said:

eadric said:

I reckon this is the best thing we could do. Accept the economy is going to make a massive hit. 5% drop in GDP, whatever. Who cares if the alternative is bubonic apocalypse, and 5% dead, and 10% f*cked.

Just tell us all to stay home, for two months, apart from essential workers. Do the best we can via the Net. Let the virus burn out.

We will manage. It will be grim, but we will cope. Trying to soldier on seems stupid.
    Under that scenario will finally find out who really are essential workers.
    Indeed.

This is what China has done, and it seems to have *worked*, tho at massive cost to wider social happiness, etc

But there are no good choices. A general lockdown is possibly the best way forward now.
    No, a general lockdown is possibly the best way forward in a few months time when evidence say it is necessary.

Right now, when its not in the wild here, what purpose would it serve?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Anyone know what we should be expecting in Virginia or Vermont? What is par for both?

Big Biden win, even bigger Sanders win.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

If you wish, then based on Ms Patel's past performances on countering CounterTerrorism as well as some of her sartorial crimes, I shall be happy to call for her to go now. ;)

I am in 2 minds about her. She can appear quite dim - the counter-terrorism interview and misleading the House of Commons over the number of EU citizens with settled status, for instance. She was sacked for lying and ignoring the rules and I do wonder how attached to the rule of law she is. Plus her sartorial crimes.

OTOH her instincts were right over HK, contrary to Raab’s and she showed a very human empathy with Harry Dunn’s family. And there are reports that the Home Office has resisted giving her a copy of the report on grooming gangs which, if true, seems extraordinary.

I do wonder whether her real problem is that she has been promoted too early and that some of the allegations arise from her not having the experience or guile to know how to deal with those reporting to her. I suspect also that she may be good at managing up but not at managing down and has insufficient experience actually how to get things done in a large organisation, even one reporting to you. That may be an overly charitable view. But the Home Office is not exactly famed for its competence, is it?
    The Home Office needs shutting down and restarting from scratch. It seems to be continually dysfunctional no matter who heads it up so we cannot blame any Home Office faux-pas's on Ms Patel. However, comparing her to Raab is setting a very low bar. Even I think she deserves better than that.

She may be intelligent in some areas of endeavour, but I am not convinced that politics is her strength.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,781
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Anyone know what we should be expecting in Virginia or Vermont? What is par for both?

How big for Biden in Virginia?

Vermont's probably not worth paying attention to.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited March 2020

Vermont is Sanders' home state, so expect a large win.

Virginia is much less certain, NYT predictor has it as likely Biden, and he needs to see a big win there to have the Joementum.

Edit: CNN call Virginia for Biden, Vermont for Sanders, so no surprises there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,095
    Polls have now closed on the East coast
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Fox projects VA for Biden
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Biden wins Virginia says CNN projection
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,375

eadric said:

eadric said:

I reckon this is the best thing we could do. Accept the economy is going to make a massive hit. 5% drop in GDP, whatever. Who cares if the alternative is bubonic apocalypse, and 5% dead, and 10% f*cked.

Just tell us all to stay home, for two months, apart from essential workers. Do the best we can via the Net. Let the virus burn out.

We will manage. It will be grim, but we will cope. Trying to soldier on seems stupid.
    Indeed.

This is what China has done, and it seems to have *worked*, tho at massive cost to wider social happiness, etc

But there are no good choices. A general lockdown is possibly the best way forward now.
    No, a general lockdown is possibly the best way forward in a few months time when evidence say it is necessary.

I think the purpose would be to prevent it spreading in the wild. When your data on who is infected is delayed by a long incubation period then there's a risk of always being behind the curve.
  • Options
    CNN saying Biden has won VA but not saying how much by. That's irritating.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Chameleon said:

How big for Biden in Virginia?

Vermont's probably not worth paying attention to.
    A good start for Sanders is putting Biden below 15% in VT, and hence sweeping the state. 20% lead is what 538 has for par in VA, and I'd agree with that. If there's been a Biden surge it should be convincing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No they haven't. Several states are still voting there
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sanders spent a lot of time in VA.
  • Options
    Texas is probably going to be the most interesting race tonight.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,951
    Instant VA for Biden. That's an amazing sign for him
  • Options
    Fox has Sanders leading in VT but no projection or call yet.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

8pm ET
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Instant VA for Biden. That's an amazing sign for him

Here we go.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

The polls which have closed are in East coast states
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

Indeed.

I think the purpose would be to prevent it spreading in the wild. When your data on who is infected is delayed by a long incubation period then there's a risk of always being behind the curve.
    But the Chief Science Officer calmly and lucidly addressed this earlier today. He said that if you do a premature shutdown then you cause a lot of disruption for very little purpose since it isn't necessary yet - and then if you reach a point it is necessary people are already grating from the restrictions so ignore the restrictions in the future just as you need them to be followed.

He was quite clear and logical that a shutdown should be timed for maximum effect when it is scientifically the right thing to do. In 2 months time this virus will still be out in the rest of the world and might be even worse so why act now when its not necessary but might be in the future?
  • Options
    Biden 63% black votye in VA
  • Options
    Am I the only one that thinks that the main flaw in the Dem primary process is that it's too late? By the time the GE comes around the losing candidate's supporters are still licking their wounds. Push it two months earlier and there'd be more time for the party to get fully behind the winner.
  • Options
    It's annoying when they show exit poll breakdowns but not the overall exit poll figures.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    eadric said:

eadric said:

You clearly missed the Chief Science Officer earlier who lucidly explained why you are wrong.

The time may come when that is necessary but that will depend upon science, not panicking. If we start doing that now when its not necessary as its not in the wild in this country yet, then what happens in 2 months time if the government believes it is necessary by then due to the science and evidence - but we've already had 2 months of lockdown and can't cope with another 2 months?

If you're going to do that you have to do it at the right time. It would need to be a Goldilocks lockdown, not too early, not too late.
    When it comes to a pandemic plague, I would rather err on the side of caution, and premature action.

Look at it this way, presuming that containment measures work (and Chinese data, tho deeply flawed, suggest they do). If we go for maximum containment now, we will cause major social disruption, a spike in suicide rates, deep emotional trauma, lots of horrible stuff. Plus, of course, a deep deep recession (but that's gonna happen anyway)

If we delay, we risk all of these things anyway (from massive death tolls) plus we ensure increased mortality rates, increased infection, increased virulence, and a collapsed health system, and then possible social collapse.

I believe we should Act Now. But I am just a PBer.
    No-one ever died from being paranoid and wrong, but if you were overly relaxed about a pandemic or living next to chernobyl or somesuch, that could be you and your gene pool wiped out.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Really interesting (and I have to say impressive) piece on how China has apparently turned the corner on the virus:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china??ncid=newsltukhpmgpols

Written by Americans, it mentions in passing a snag in this situation of not having a health system free at the point of use (as they think is the case in "the West") - it discourages people from getting tested, as they'll have to pay for the test (or drain their insurance allowance). China doesn't have a free health service either, but they made it free in this case so as to remove the obstacle.

China doesn't have a free health service?

Sometimes a fact will come along that staggers me.
    Yes, the Chinese who I've met (typically middle-ranking officials) are matter-of-fact about it - "It'd be nice but we can't afford it yet, so we have an inexpensive hospital-centred health service instead." They find the NHS interesting as a possible future model, among others. One of the reasons I like giving talks to Chinese groups (apart from the money) is that they're quite open about not being perfect, here to learn what they might do better, etc. I've heard that this is less common in Japan (EiT can advise!), and that the Japanese regard other systems with polite respect but don't readily think of learning from them.

The delegations carefully avoid criticisng the leadership, while being frank about problems - pollution, corruption, drugs, tax avoidance, etc.
  • Options
    Such an early VA call for Biden means that it is around 20%+ IMO.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

At least half the comments on this thread should have been flagged for going off-topic so soon.

I am sympathetic to your argument, as you know, but facts are facts. This POTUS election is taking place in a context of a full-on plague, which might, very conceivably, kill millions of Americans and hospitalise millions of others.

These are not fanciful figures, they are reasonable scenarios.

So whenever you start talking about the POTUS elex you will be talking about the virus within about 3 minutes, not least coz it could actually kill half the candidates. Cf Iran's parliament

https://twitter.com/aawsat_eng/status/1234955458194092032?s=20
    A fanatic: one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Mate, there is no other subject.

Please explain to me how you could debate the betting opportunities around the Dem primaries WITHOUT referencing a massive global menace which presages intense global death.

Answer, you can't.

It would be like discussing the Grand National betting opportunities without mentioning the fact the race will take place during a bizarre radioactive tornado, which attacks certain kinds of horses.
    Then, when everyone groans, and then one horse subsequently falls over and needs to be put down, you shout even louder: "ah, you see - I told you I was right! It was just a worst case scenario!!"
    I see you are still in "this is just the flu" stage. Good luck.
    Absolute bollocks.
    Good luck,
    No offence, but I don't need your "luck".

This may hurt you to hear this but none of the actions I've taken over this virus have been predicated on a single thing you've said on this website. I've done my own research (weeks before you popped up) and I'm most impressed by professionals, experts and those able to conduct sober analysis of data and information even in highly charged situations, without letting their emotions get the better of them.

You think you're helping but actually your presence on this site is supremely selfish as you're using it to exorcise your innermost fears and help develop and roadtest a juicy future plot narrative.

I think it's atrocious behaviour.

Log off, and have a think about that.

I wish you well, and hope you and your kids do fine. They should do, looking at the science.
    Byronavirus.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

That's an early indicator of a very good night for him, if so.
  • Options
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Exit polls showing Biden getting 6 in 10 black voters in Virginia, same rate as in South Carolina. Biden could sweep the south if that holds everywhere.
  • Options
    Why the fuck didn't Biden run in 2016?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    So what, that does not change the fact all the states whose polls have closed are on the East
  • Options

His son died of brain cancer, aged 46.
  • Options

KId died.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited March 2020
    ABC calls Maine for Biden. That's a state Sanders was expected to win, if Biden has won it clearly enough that an early call makes sense then that's huge!

EDIT: Scrap that, they called it for Sanders and someone tweeted it wrong!
  • Options

Good question.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

When it comes to a pandemic plague, I would rather err on the side of caution, and premature action.

Look at it this way, presuming that containment measures work (and Chinese data, tho deeply flawed, suggest they do). If we go for maximum containment now, we will cause major social disruption, a spike in suicide rates, deep emotional trauma, lots of horrible stuff. Plus, of course, a deep deep recession (but that's gonna happen anyway)

If we delay, we risk all of these things anyway (from massive death tolls) plus we ensure increased mortality rates, increased infection, increased virulence, and a collapsed health system, and then possible social collapse.

I believe we should Act Now. But I am just a PBer.

You're not being cautious, you're being paranoid and panicking.

Cautious is listening to the scientific evidence.

The key point was that containment measures can't be done for long. Serious containment can only be time limited. So you don't waste your opportunity to do serious containment when it isn't necessary (thus inflicting unnecessary damage) while also ensuring when you do need to do containment you're incapable of doing so as you've already done it.

To use an analogy, you know that a zombie is potentially coming to kill you and you have a gun with one bullet in it that can kill the zombie.
    Do you point in the vague distance despite the fact that you can't even see the zombie in your sights yet and shoot the gun immediately to be "cautious"?
    Do you hold the gun with your only bullet, steady yourself, aim and fire when only you have the zombie locked within your sights and are able to take it down?

Don't waste our silver bullet of containment prematurely. Its too valuable, we may need it yet.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Quincel said:

ABC calls Maine for Biden. That's a state Sanders was expected to win, if Biden has won it clearly enough that an early call makes sense then that's huge!

Bloody hell, that was supposed to be nailed-on for Sanders as you say. Maybe California is in play now.

Are you sure that information is correct?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Quincel said:

Bloody hell, that was supposed to be nailed-on for Sanders as you say. Maybe California is in play now.
    Abort, abort, it was a twitter error and Sanders did win it.

Interesting that Biden looks on course for a big VA win but Sanders holding ME comfortably enough to call before polls even close.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    So what, that does not change the fact all the states whose polls have closed are on the East
    That's not what you said.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

EDIT: Scrap that, they called it for Sanders and someone tweeted it wrong!

Annoying, I have a couple of quid on Biden in Maine
  • Options
    Nick Corasaniti, in Austin, Texas 1m ago

Biden could have been boosted by his S.C. win and the endorsements that followed. 47% of Virginia voters made up their mind in the past few days, early exit polls show.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

Indeed.

But the Chief Science Officer calmly and lucidly addressed this earlier today. He said that if you do a premature shutdown then you cause a lot of disruption for very little purpose since it isn't necessary yet - and then if you reach a point it is necessary people are already grating from the restrictions so ignore the restrictions in the future just as you need them to be followed.

He was quite clear and logical that a shutdown should be timed for maximum effect when it is scientifically the right thing to do. In 2 months time this virus will still be out in the rest of the world and might be even worse so why act now when its not necessary but might be in the future?
    I've been very impressed by our response. We have 1/50th the number of unknown origin cases of Spain, France, Germany, while doing 15x as many tests for a reason.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    I have no interest debating pointless petty points with you this evening
  • Options
    Which TV coverage of Super Tuesday is the best to watch?
  • Options

Chameleon said:

That's an early indicator of a very good night for him, if so.
    It's an indicator of a par night or better. If he was underperforming then VA would not be called yet.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Indeed.

I've been very impressed by our response. We have 1/50th the number of unknown origin cases of Spain, France, Germany, while doing 15x as many tests for a reason.
    Its very impressive.

And somewhat creepy in a "Big Brother is Watching You" kind of way.
  • Options
    Twiiter suggesting Sanders around 57% in Vermont exit polls. He got 86% in 2016.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    Is Bloomberg going to break his duck in delegates tonight I wonder.
  • Options
    Surprise, surprise, the CAGE/MCB types are not representative of regular British Muslims:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-51676923?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Biden now 56
  • Options
    I wonder why Sanders is forecast to win Texas? Its a Southern state with a high minority vote, demographically I'd think that was Biden?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Not really a duck when he hasn't been on the ballot yet.
  • Options
    Confirmed two cases of corona virus in Cumbria (carlisle).
  • Options
    All closing times Eastern -

VA,VT 7pm
    NC 7.30pm
    AL, ME, MA, OK, TN 8pm
    AR 8.30pm
    CO, MN, TX 9pm
    UT 10pm
    CA 11pm

Some TN polls will be open until 11pm Eastern due to tornadoes
  • Options

I wonder why Sanders is forecast to win Texas? Its a Southern state with a high minority vote, demographically I'd think that was Biden?

Maybe they're assuming a strong showing for Sanders with Latino voters.
  • Options
    VT called for Sanders by Fox
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,612
    edited March 2020

Big Latino vote, who lean towards Sanders.
  • Options

Demographics working well for him. 32% latino to 22% black iirc. That being said it'd be a decent-ish night for Sanders to win Texas.
  • Options
    NC coming in a few minutes
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Andy_JS said:

Not really a duck when he hasn't been on the ballot yet.
    I'd forgotten he hasn't been on the ballot until today.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    Yes, but you said "Polls have now closed on the East coast"

When you should have said "Polls have now closed on much of the East coast"

Is it so hard to admit you might have made a tiny error?
  • Options

Big Latino vote, who lean towards Sanders.
    That is mainly based off caucus states mind.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    To be fair, a grossly misleading statement is hardly a petty pointless debating point, but you're correct in it not being worth debating.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.

As I said a few days ago, HYFYD has the requisite attributes to be White House Press Secretary in quite astounding quantities.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Tim_B said:

If Sanders is winning Vermont that means... that means... almost nothing.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I really like Bernie Sanders but elections in the USA aren’t won on running up huge scores in states that are slam dunks for either the Dems or GOP .

Biden maybe gaffe prone and not as punchy as he used to be but I think he’ll have a better chance of winning in swing states .

I think that Virginia result is huge for Biden . Sanders will romp home in California . Texas is now the real interest .
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.

As I said I have no interest debating pointless, petty, irrelevant points by people with far too much time on their hands.

And even if I could have phrased it better I am certainly not going to concede anything to Philip Thompson and TimB
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

If Sanders is winning Vermont that means... that means... almost nothing.
    possibly even less -the only surprise is it taking so long to call, when VA was instant.
  • Options
    I feel like an idiot for not putting more money on Biden when he was 10/1 to 15/1 about 5 days ago. I got £10 on at 10/1.
  • Options
    Biden over 50% in VA right now
  • Options
    Instant Biden in N C I reckon
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I really like Bernie Sanders but elections in the USA aren’t won on running up huge scores in states that are slam dunks for either the Dems or GOP .

Biden maybe gaffe prone and not as punchy as he used to be but I think he’ll have a better chance of winning in swing states .

I think that Virginia result is huge for Biden . Sanders will romp home in California . Texas is now the real interest .

It's definitely part of my bias, but Biden reminds me of my recently deceased grandfather. He's a good bloke and won't do anything outrageous, and he'd be a good chat with in the pub. Sanders would be an absolute bore. I'll never back someone that I wouldn't be able to have a drink with.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    "Polls have now closed on the East coast" - HYUFD Posts: 68,257
    12:00AM
  • Options
    Bloomberg needs to walk tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    To be fair, a grossly misleading statement is hardly a petty pointless debating point, but you're correct in it not being worth debating.
    There was nothing 'grossly misleading' about it other than your determination to start an argument for the sake of it
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Chameleon said:

Its very impressive.

If Big Brother means that the NHS watches out for virus epidemics efficiently. bring it on.
  • Options

Bloomberg needs to walk tomorrow.

He seems to think he'll have some influence in the event of a brokered convention, but not if these numbers hold up.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Biden wins NC - Fox projection
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I've got CBS and CNN livestreams on Youtube and just switch between them. Neither is great tbh. Fox is usually good, gonna find that now and try it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

No. Mass is 8pm ET.
    There was nothing 'grossly misleading' about it other than your determination to start an argument for the sake of it
    "Polls have now closed on the East coast" - HYUFD Posts: 68,257
    12:00AM
  • Options
    NC Biden
  • Options
    CNN call NC for Biden.

Joementum in the South.
  • Options
    Biden crushing it, over 57% !
  • Options
    On our way Biden.

Trump may not get four more years
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Seems like the NHS really trying to get out in front...unlike America

Thousands of intensive care patients to be tested for Covid-19

NHS bosses have ramped up their efforts to detect the virus by ordering all 135 acute hospital trusts in England to routinely test anyone in intensive care units (ICUs) who has a breathing problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/03/thousands-of-intensive-care-patients-to-be-tested-for-covid-19
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This looks like another defeat for the Woke crowd who were fully behind Bernie Sanders (although I don't think Bernie is particularly Woke himself, more of an old-fashioned socialist).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Quincel said:

Andy_JS said:

I've got CBS and CNN livestreams on Youtube and just switch between them. Neither is great tbh. Fox is usually good, gonna find that now and try it.
    Not watching TYT, who will be getting very angry that Biden is doing well.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

nico67 said:

It's definitely part of my bias, but Biden reminds me of my recently deceased grandfather. He's a good bloke and won't do anything outrageous, and he'd be a good chat with in the pub. Sanders would be an absolute bore. I'll never back someone that I wouldn't be able to have a drink with.
    It's partly because Sanders has relaxed his style in this respect, particularly with key voting groups like African-Americans, that he's doing better. However, as mentioned somewhere below, Biden has a hint of "Southern" interpersonal appeal, too.

Beyond their rival "bar-room" appeals, it must still be a concern for Democrats that Biden is not going to look like a super keyed-in man of action in a crisis like the Corononavirus outbreak though, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8XdL1nZrIU&t=3s

• Options
    CNN amusing themselves by point out how much money Bloomberg has burned through in Virginia alone.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Its very impressive.

If Big Brother means that the NHS watches out for virus epidemics efficiently. bring it on.
    With great power comes great responsibility.
This discussion has been closed.