Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As expected Biden storming to big victory in South Carolina

1235»

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael combined still higher on 38% though
    Fianna Fail and Fine Gael *combined* on 38% is incredibly low polling. When was the last time that Conservative and Labour combined had 38% or lower? I'm guessing it was before the Labour Party became the official opposition.
    The European Parliament elections.

However 38% combined is still more than Sinn Fein and that is what matters
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922

This is going to cause a stir...

NHS gender clinic 'should have challenged me more' over transition

A 23-year-old woman who is taking legal action against an NHS gender clinic says she should have been challenged more by medical staff over her decision to transition to a male as a teenager.

A judge gave the go-ahead this week for a full hearing of the case against the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust.

Lawyers will argue children cannot give informed consent to treatment delaying puberty or helping them to transition.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51676020

I hope we will also have an appropriately detailed examination of Mermaids and their activities.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383

malcolmg said:

The government really need to get this message out ASAP....

However, this strain of the coronavirus produces a fever and a dry cough but does not trigger runny noses or sneezing, as commonly occurs with flu.

Otherwise we really are going to have everybody with a cold turning up at A&E.

I'd wonder if most people even know what is meant by "a fever". But yes, Boris should be on the phone to @Roger to direct some public service adverts like during the AIDS crisis.
    I haven't seen Old Rog on here for ages. There wasn't even the yearly post on the one thing he can usually predict correctly, the Oscars.
    surprising the length of time since he posted , though people do disappear from time to time
    Yep, that SeanT has been away for a while. Hope he's ok.
    Good to see irony is not dead :lol:

malcolmg said:

The government really need to get this message out ASAP....

However, this strain of the coronavirus produces a fever and a dry cough but does not trigger runny noses or sneezing, as commonly occurs with flu.

Otherwise we really are going to have everybody with a cold turning up at A&E.

I'd wonder if most people even know what is meant by "a fever". But yes, Boris should be on the phone to @Roger to direct some public service adverts like during the AIDS crisis.
    I haven't seen Old Rog on here for ages. There wasn't even the yearly post on the one thing he can usually predict correctly, the Oscars.
    surprising the length of time since he posted , though people do disappear from time to time
    Yep, that SeanT has been away for a while. Hope he's ok.
    Eadric and Byronic of course have no connection to SeanT whatsoever, absolutely none at all
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    kinabalu said:

Corona. I have heard it from someone I usually trust that in North Korea the approach being taken is to shoot dead anybody who has it.

And when Kim Jung Un gets infected...?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Hurrah! We have a bargaining chip! All is not lost then :smile:
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    edited March 2020

kinabalu said:

Corona. I have heard it from someone I usually trust that in North Korea the approach being taken is to shoot dead anybody who has it.

Start shooting the doctors treating him until he gets better.

I don't think I'm even joking.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023

I find it odd that France et al are making these demands. All they are doing is revealing stuff that we have that they want.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,922

The Mail links to a Telegraph story -- first rule of journalism: read the papers -- but this French historian Casali seems to take the Govesque view of history that its purpose is to boost the national mythology.

Oh, and apparently this campaign has been running for a year already.
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Casali
    Sounds like Macron doing his mini-Napoleon Emperor of Europe thing.

I think that would be for the family, and possibly the church courts - nothing to do with the French government and their maunderings.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How Westminster cons Scotland with its fake figures.

Impressive that Westminster can do this with a report produced by the Scottish Government.

'Q: Who produces GERS?

A:
    You stupid halfwit , they have to use the fake made up Westminster numbers which are as bent as the Tories. There are 167 estimates in there and fact they have Scotland as responsible for about 70% of UK borrowing shows how bent they are.
    I can safely say without even knowing you that you are a stupid unthinking unionist halfwit who is unable to have an original thought , run off back to the flock.
    Philip, get a grip, how do you explain England with 85% of the population borrowing money and trying to pretend that almost 70% of it is borrowed for Scotland with less than 10% of the population. Not even a cretin would try to promote that one.

What we know is the numbers are well fudged and that almost all spending is in the south of England. No matter how you dress it up , Scotland does not borrow a penny , England via Westminster borrows all the money , squanders it on itself and then tries to say it was all spent on Scotland. It is complete bollox. Why don't you explain to me why 70% of the UK borrowing is said to be spent in Scotland, cite examples etc that you can show are real and I don't mean 12% of Crossrail or suchlike.
    I've never seen Crossrail included within Scottish expenditure. If you can show me that then fair enough.

Examples:
    1. Scottish government paying for tuition fees.
    2. Scottish government paying for prescriptions.
    3. Scottish government paying for tampons.
    We will pay more for HS2 than that will cost, we paid a % of the bribe to the DUP and you could go on forever on the infrastructure we pay for in south of England , which is not reciprocated if money is spent in Scotland.
    [Citation Needed]

My understudy Barnett consequentials take care of that.
    most of it is excluded as special spending so they don't have to pay barnett , it is crooked from start to finish
    [Citation Needed]

According to the link I gave earlier the Scots get Barnett consequentials for both (but the Welsh get it from Crossrail but not HS2 so the Welsh have reason to complain).
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael *combined* on 38% is incredibly low polling. When was the last time that Conservative and Labour combined had 38% or lower? I'm guessing it was before the Labour Party became the official opposition.

Essentially, if you absolutely refuse to allow a major party near power, voters think it's unfair and increase their support for it until you have to. Same thing is happening in Thuringia - the Left had 30% and a plurality of the votes, so people ganged up to stop them getting into office, and now they've got 40%. It's usually better to let them in for a bit to try to deliver on their fancy promises.

The problem, of course, is if you're talking about a maniacal party which will never release power again (cf. Nazis). I don't think modern Sinn Fein are in that category.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464
    tlg86 said:

I find it odd that France et al are making these demands. All they are doing is revealing stuff that we have that they want.
    I want Aquitane
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,390

I suspect the internal contradictions between his Unionism and his hatred of BJ and his ghastly crew became too much to bear, at least publicly on here.

C'mon ScottP, you know deep down which is the lesser of 2 evils.

Oh, Divot, one day you'll figure it out.

There is no contradiction.

My hatred of the petty Nationalist in Downing Street is the same as my hatred of the petty Nationalist in Bute House you so admire (although her days are numbered. She can retire to her house on the country with her new friend)

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1234049274402541569

But thanks for the good wishes...
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:

I suspect the internal contradictions between his Unionism and his hatred of BJ and his ghastly crew became too much to bear, at least publicly on here.

My hatred of the petty Nationalist in Downing Street is the same as my hatred of the petty Nationalist in Bute House you so admire (although her days are numbered. She can retire to her house on the country with her new friend)

Lol, that was quick.

Winkle meet pin!

• QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042
    HYUFD said:
    Bloomberg has had some better state polls in the last couple of days. Better in terms of 2nd places ahead of Biden, but still better.
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 756
    kinabalu said:

Does that get counted in the mortality rate?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759
    Scott_xP said:

Let's not get PB into trouble...
    edited March 2020

kinabalu said:

Start shooting the doctors treating him until he gets better.

I don't think I'm even joking.
    I would not be surprised if you are correct.

It will be interesting to see what happens to two great theocracies of the world - Iran and the US - when praying does not cure people. As I recall, Europe tried prayer in the 1300s and that did not work well either.

At least these days we have better health and medical systems - if the believers are prepared to use them.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,539
    eadric said:
    Blimey.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited March 2020
    kinabalu said:

Absolutely right - the Left can't stand the fact that a member of one of the groups they claim as their eternal clients has both risen to a position of power and is using it to resist their precious ideology.

My take from the Left on Priti Patel -

The problem with her is twofold. She is a reactionary numbskull. She is deceitful. Both these things are proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

It now seems likely that she is also a workplace bully - but this is not proven, not even close, and so I suspend judgement.

So, no, I'm not keen on Patel.

Now, do I dislike her more than is rational on account of her being a BAME woman? Do I view her as a traitorous, self-serving fraud? A sort of Auntie Tonia?

I think not. Instinctively it's a No. But that is a serious charge and it merits an internal audit of quite brutal thoroughness and honesty, so I will be carrying one out and reporting the results on here as soon as they are available.
    I naturally salute the indefatigability of your internal audit, but the fact remains that there is hard evidence of Labour and Left figures holding exactly that attitude:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/28/uncle-toms-cabinet/

'Shadow treasury minister Clive Lewis sarcastically congratulated Conservative chairman James Cleverly, accusing him and other ethnic-minority ministers of ‘selling their souls’ for office.'

'Novara Media’s Ash Sarkar dismissed the ‘ascendence of Priti Patel and Sajid Javid’ as ‘tokenism’, accusing them of assimilating ‘oppressive ideologies in return for representation’.'

'It gets worse. Canary editor Kerry-Anne Mendoza tweeted that any politician that ‘serves in a far-right government’ (itself a ludicrous accusation) ‘is no longer a person of colour. They are a turncoat of colour.’'

'A writer in the Huffington Post said she was ashamed of Patel and Javid: ‘We can’t let our young look to them for inspiration because they are a product of internalised whiteness… Patel is used as a pawn in white supremacy and takes it in her stride.’'

Each and every one of these utterances can be summed up in a single, bitter cri de coeur: 'How DARE you! You're OURS!'.

I hope Priti Patel has a long career at the top of politics, and outlasts all her sneering critics.

eadric said:
    Blimey.
    Does anyone know the rules for seasonlong bets if the season ends early? Match bets stand if 60 mins is played before the match is abandoned, right? Is there a similar thing for seasons?
    edited March 2020
    At least we seem to be moving on from "F**k Business" now that "F**k Farming" is being vocalised by those close to PM Cummings. No doubt "F**k Fishing" is being held in reserve.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/01/treasury-adviser-farming-and-fisheries-are-not-important
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    eadric said:

If this is true - it's RT - I reckon this is curtains for all sport

https://twitter.com/RTSportNews/status/1234107221564411904?s=20

Some are saying it's a lie

EDIT: it seems the 3 players are from a different, smaller side that had recent contact with Juve. So Juve is now in total quarantine.

The point remains good: sportsmen and women won't want to compete in these circumstances, so I do not see how any pro sports will continue.

I don't think it is Juventus First Team, I think it is their U23 team that play in Serie C and whose last opponent was a team who now has had 4 players test positive for the virus.
    12 more positive cases in UK.
    The players are NOT Juve players.
  • tlg86 said:

Who could have predicted Russia Today would peddle misleading news.
    edited March 2020

tlg86 said:

I think it is more clickbait than anything. The headline doesn't say Juve players and it is true they have stopped training because the U23's played against a team who have now had 4 players test positive.

tlg86 said:

To be fair, that headline doesn't say Juve players - though they clearly intended it to provoke that reaction.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464

tlg86 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME
  • eadric said:

This is it. Brace, everyone

You need to go out for a Sunday walk, eadric. It's a nice spring day.

HYUFD said:

eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

Essentially, if you absolutely refuse to allow a major party near power, voters think it's unfair and increase their support for it until you have to. Same thing is happening in Thuringia - the Left had 30% and a plurality of the votes, so people ganged up to stop them getting into office, and now they've got 40%. It's usually better to let them in for a bit to try to deliver on their fancy promises.

The problem, of course, is if you're talking about a maniacal party which will never release power again (cf. Nazis). I don't think modern Sinn Fein are in that category.
    The CDU and SPD in Germany have managed to combine together to keep out Linke and the AfD for most of the past 15 years.

• AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    eadric said:

Don’t panic Mr Mainwaring.
    edited March 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/twelve-more-people-test-positive-coronavirus-in-uk

It does seem like this part of the reason for this jump is due to the authorities tracing of people. All the others bar one are recent travellers to affected areas.

The one case where they don't know its origin is clearly the concern.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Nigelb said:
    As any fule kno, tis "proppa!"
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    eadric said:
    Of the 12, 11 have had known exposure - from already infected in the UK or travel to Italy & Iran. Only one is from an unknown source. When that becomes half a dozen or a dozen unknown sources, then we’re in trouble.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

lol. I'm not panicking. I'm mentally prepared and practically prepared: shares sold, relatives advised, food bought, sanitiser piled up.

If I can do a small service it is to tell the Don't Panickers on here that this is very very serious.
    I’m concerned, naturally. My default assumption for nearly a month is that this will touch us all at some point.

This particular batch of new information, however, doesn’t really change much. I’m more concerned about how the contagion in Iran seems to be completely out of control.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

lol. I'm not panicking. I'm mentally prepared and practically prepared: shares sold, relatives advised, food bought, sanitiser piled up.

If I can do a small service it is to tell the Don't Panickers on here that this is very very serious.
    And if the panickers start overcrowding hospitals unnecessarily then it will get more serious still
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

At least we seem to be moving on from "F**k Business" now that "F**k Farming" is being vocalised by those close to PM Cummings. No doubt "F**k Fishing" is being held in reserve.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/01/treasury-adviser-farming-and-fisheries-are-not-important

We discussed this the other day. My opinion and the opinion of many other Brexiteers was that we should abolish subsidies, quotas and tariffs and let British farming sink or swim on its own. As the Kiwis did.
    Quincel said:

eadric said:
    Blimey.
    Does anyone know the rules for seasonlong bets if the season ends early? Match bets stand if 60 mins is played before the match is abandoned, right? Is there a similar thing for seasons?
    We will have to call off the entire 2019-20 season, pretend it never happened. All bets void.

Just don't tell TSE......

So many Tory MPs have farmers in their seats what some minor adviser suggests can be safely ignored, the UK is not a city state like Singapore
  • Coronavirus is starting to worry me a bit
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264

eadric said:
    Of the 12, 11 have had known exposure - from already infected in the UK or travel to Italy & Iran. Only one is from an unknown source. When that becomes half a dozen or a dozen unknown sources, then we’re in trouble.
    I've been impressed with how we're doing. Vast numbers of tests done, both random and targeted and as of now only have 2 community cases.
    Chris Giles is hardly an ardent Leaver. So this and the tweets in response to it are worth noting:

https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1233926837442621442?s=21
    eadric said:

eadric said:

I hope you have some heavy-duty weaponry stockpiled too - for when the Mob comes for your mountain of sanitiser.....
  • At least we seem to be moving on from "F**k Business" now that "F**k Farming" is being vocalised by those close to PM Cummings. No doubt "F**k Fishing" is being held in reserve.

We discussed this the other day. My opinion and the opinion of many other Brexiteers was that we should abolish subsidies, quotas and tariffs and let British farming sink or swim on its own. As the Kiwis did.
    But that's not what Boris Johnson and Vote Leave promised farmers during the referendum.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I’m concerned, naturally. My default assumption for nearly a month is that this will touch us all at some point.

This particular batch of new information, however, doesn’t really change much. I’m more concerned about how the contagion in Iran seems to be completely out of control.
    No nation can ultimately control a virus, without destroying the economy, and even then it might not work.

This is the immense decision we will soon face:let the virus burn itself out, and tell everyone to stay home? Or try and confine it a la Wuhan? (If that is even possible)
    Big transport infrastructure projects are about to look very out of date.
    eadric said:

eadric said:
    Um, do you really honestly believe that what you describe might NOT happen?

Viruses have a remorseless logic of their own. We will not be freakishly immune, and different to France, Germany, Italy, Korea, etc, where this exact same process is unfolding, the only difference is that they are further down the line than us.
    Given the relative rates of testing I suspect we’re better informed than they are. Since the objective is to flatten the curve we’re in better shape than many.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    Chameleon said:

eadric said:
    I've been impressed with how we're doing. Vast numbers of tests done, both random and targeted and as of now only have 2 community cases.
    Cheltenham Festival now not far off 50/50 in terms of betting on betfair is going ahead. Devastating to morale if it doesn't
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,200
    No sign of panic buying in Waitrose on Finchley Road. Everyone going about their daily lives...

Coronavirus is starting to worry me a bit

Too late to the party, friend....

(And what is with the wimpy "a bit?" We expect End of Times invocations here - or else just get on with watching footie....)
    Quincel said:

HYUFD said:
    Bloomberg has had some better state polls in the last couple of days. Better in terms of 2nd places ahead of Biden, but still better.
    Of course, some of his polls just get worse and worse...

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1234118499460665344
  • The French have surrendered to the virus, it won't be long until they start collaborating.

The spreading coronavirus epidemic shut down France’s Louvre Museum on Sunday, with workers who guard its trove of artworks fearful of being contaminated by the museum’s flow of visitors from around the world.

“We are very worried because we have visitors from everywhere,” said Andre Sacristin, a Louvre employee and union representative for its staffers.

“The risk is very, very, very great,” he said in a phone interview. While there are no known virus infections among the museum’s 2,300 workers, “it’s only a question of time,” he said.

A short statement from the Louvre said a staff meeting about virus prevention efforts stopped the museum from opening as scheduled Sunday morning. Would-be visitors were still waiting to get inside on Sunday afternoon.

https://apnews.com/29cc5b26f3620a2bbd6c8444f4f12e42
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eadric said:

eadric said:

Viruses have a remorseless logic of their own. We will not be freakishly immune, and different to France, Germany, Italy, Korea, etc, where this exact same process is unfolding, the only difference is that they are further down the line than us.
    Given the relative rates of testing I suspect we’re better informed than they are. Since the objective is to flatten the curve we’re in better shape than many.
    I very much doubt the UK is doing anything different to most European countries. For whatever reason it’s slightly behind Fr Ger, Sp but how it manages the cases with no obvious travel history will be key. The virus in itself is not a problem for most people it will be its impact on the overall health services and economies where it will be felt.anyone know how many icu beds are there in Europe by country?
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

No nation can ultimately control a virus, without destroying the economy, and even then it might not work.

This is the immense decision we will soon face:let the virus burn itself out, and tell everyone to stay home? Or try and confine it a la Wuhan? (If that is even possible)
    Now this is getting serious...

https://twitter.com/jasongroves1/status/1234116499444576259?s=21
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,190
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Yes, telling the Don't Panickers to Panic is really very helpful.

A true national service.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,534
    eadric said:

The doubling rate outside of China is decreasing.

That takes into account a disparate group of countries with big differences in testing policies, preparedness, political systems, cultures.

If it doubles in the UK every 1.39 days - and, like you, I am not sure why we can avoid this - then in ten days there will be 4000+ cases in the UK.

I think we should certainly expect there to be case numbers measured in 4 digits in the UK before this is out. The hope is that by diligent contact tracing we can avoid those cases happening all at once, as in for example Singapore.

Health system can handle 10-15% x 4,000 cases in hospital, especially if it’s spread out in time. It’s if we get to 5 figures or worse that this gets super dicey. I’ll feel happier when I start seeing Korea tailing off the same way the official numbers have in China. As I still don’t trust those numbers totally.

Iran scares the life out of me. This is a politics site, stepping back what does this mean for the Middle East?
    isam said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I saw someone the other night wearing a face mask nonchalantly on the little rural branch line to Sudbury. I inwardly scoffed then, but now...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,600
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

Yes, telling the Don't Panickers to Panic is really very helpful.

A true national service.
    Like HYUFD and his broth approach, I'm assuming Eadric's Covid-19 posts are performance art.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,622
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Such is your state of unpanic that you were the first person in the country who thought he actually had it. Which is what comes of excessive googling when you have a cold.
    isam said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Yeah but....it's only Essex.

Probably from a rubber boat full of Iranians, loaded down with virus....
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,128
    edited March 2020
    Coronavirus started 3 months ago today in Wuhan.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,534
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Such is your state of unpanic that you were the first person in the country who thought he actually had it. Which is what comes of excessive googling when you have a cold.
    And Public Health England thought I had it, too, which is why they sent me to an isolation ward at UCLH. The only reason I wasn’t tested was because there was a ludicrous bureaucratic snafu, and an argument between the hospital and PHE.

I was then told by my GP to self isolate, so I did.
    Glad to hear you’re ok. My self isolation is now finally over and I rejoined the human race today for a scotch egg and a burger.
  • NEW THREAD

• isam said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I saw someone the other night wearing a face mask nonchalantly on the little rural branch line to Sudbury. I inwardly scoffed then, but now...
    The masks don't stop you getting it though, from my understanding.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    edited March 2020

I wonder what evidence Sir Philip Rutnam has of bullying. And how much it will be considered worth paying for it not to be aired in public proceedings.

I suspect it is more a case of:

"Minister, there is a way of doing things in the Home Office. It has served us for generations. And what you are suggesting - well, it just isn't done...."

"Well, it fookin' is now! Do as you're told!"

*Collapse in a fit of the vapours, followed by a call to a chum at the Beeb for live coverage of your resignation alleging bullying....*

Much as you would like to think otherwise, there is always the niggling doubt that some career civil servants might have a problem with taking orders from a woman.

And a woman of Asian heritage at that.....

*more fits of the vapours....*
    Multiple things can be true at once. He and his officials could have been overly obstructive and she could have behaved in a completely inappropriate way (you're example could be a case in point, as 'do as you are told' in that manner may not be appropriate if there are legitimate reasons why what is being instructed cannot be done as ministerial order cannot change reality. Equally, if all it is is her being a bit rude when he stalled in such a manner, she would be in a better position). And whether people think it would be someone having a fit of the vapours or whether they agree or disagree with any bureacratic obstruction will, I suspect, be largely irrelevant to an objective assessment of workplace behaviour.

What is abundantly clear, and no surprise, is that people have already decided what has gone on based on politics.
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 654
    As my company is front line in the fight against infection control I find Covid19 both intriguing, scary and a great opportunity all at the same time.

In the UK it is not time to panic yet but take sensible precautions. Start washing your hands when you go out regularly, avoid hospitals and doctor surgeries and stock up on some basics. The mass screening program in the UK is good news. We are picking up cases fast and preventing hotspots occurring. It only takes one mistake for things to go badly wrong.

Italy is a prime example of letting the situation get out of control. The number of cases of Brits catching it in Italy and the death rate does not correlate to the official numbers and the numbers infected there may well be 10,000 not 1,000. The same in Iran where they have basically said they don't know how many people are infected. Next week we wait to see if the virus will spread out from Italy to Switzerland, France and Germany.

What is now clear is that the virus will be with us for the next 3 months at least and maybe a lot longer. The global economy will take a much larger hit than is presently forecast. It is however temporary and will be solved before the end of the year. Britain is not at the moment going to be one of the epi-centres.

nichomar said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I very much doubt the UK is doing anything different to most European countries.
    We're testing a lot more. The last date there were comparable figures (26 Feb) the UK had tested 7,132 and France 762.

Today the UK's test total is 11,750.

The only European country with comparable testing on available data is Italy, with 9,462 tests on 26 Feb - no doubt they've done more, since the 470 positive at the time is now 1,128.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    isam said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

he was obviously in contact with someone, the virus did not fly to Essex on its own
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 654

nichomar said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I very much doubt the UK is doing anything different to most European countries.
    We're testing a lot more. The last date there were comparable figures (26 Feb) the UK had tested 7,132 and France 762.

Today the UK's test total is 11,750.

The only European country with comparable testing on available data is Italy, with 9,462 tests on 26 Feb - no doubt they've done more, since the 470 positive at the time is now 1,128.
    The extra testing is the right step and the fatalistic view that public health is a waste of space is not shown by the data. Some of the organisations I am a member of have been dedicate to the cause of reducing infection levels as a lifetime passion. Not the treatment of infection but the reduction of infection. Often these organisations are better respected internationally than in the UK. It is days like these when you should be thankful they exist.
This discussion has been closed.